PDA

View Full Version : Who here would be shocked?

texaschief
08-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Who would be shocked to see Pennington in a Chiefs jersey? He has been released by the Jets and the rumors are that the Dolphins are interested. But he's the QB that Herm drafted in New York. I think this could get interesting. I really think this will test the Chiefs loyalty to Croyle.

jtandcrew
08-07-2008, 03:38 PM
I wouldnt be shocked simply because ever since Herm came to KC there has been minor rumors that Herm wouldnt mind having him. There at 1 point was quiet rumors that Herm wanted to try to trade for Pennington. I think it would be a mistake since Pennington seems to be very injury prone. Also, obviously the Jets were tired of him not being able to take the next step hence him being released and the Jets trading for Farve.

m0ef0e
08-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I honestly don't think we will even try for Pennington-- much for the same reasons we didn't go after Favre. Chad is 32 and again, that goes against the current direction the team is heading with the youth movement.

I just don't see any reason to bring Pennington in. They would basically be just swapping him for Huard. Granted, Pennington may bump Thigpen down to the no. 3 from the no. 2 spot. However, from what I've heard/read, the coaching staff likes Thig and the potential he has shown. So, I really don't see them doing that. To bring in Chad would probably mean releasing Damon and there's really no reason for that. We would simply be swapping one veteran bench-warmer for another-- one that hasn't been in our system for the last few years.

Three7s
08-07-2008, 04:07 PM
The only reason I can see for us going after Pennington is to take over Huard's job. He would also be a safety cushion if Croyle and Thigpen stink.

Other than that, no.

DrunkHillbilly
08-07-2008, 04:30 PM
I for one would definetly be shocked!! I think he may end up with the Bears.

tornadospotter
08-07-2008, 05:13 PM
I would not be shocked. With the way Herm goes thru QB's, it might not be a bad idea to get him, as a 4th QB!

garciakcfan
08-07-2008, 05:49 PM
i dont think shocked is the right word "pissed" is more like it.... Its funny because I was just at work saying this same thing as soon as i heard he was released and not traded.

tammietailgator
08-07-2008, 06:20 PM
I think he is one of the better choices for a back up QB. Maybe one of the best decisions that we could make for a back up.

Bike
08-08-2008, 01:25 AM
I don't think Pennington would look good in red. A veteran mediocre qb is not what we need. I do think Thigpen shows a lot of promise and hope to see more of him in October...

tornadospotter
08-08-2008, 01:32 AM
I don't think Pennington would look good in red. A veteran mediocre qb is not what we need. I do think Thigpen shows a lot of promise and hope to see more of him in October...
But the way Herm goes thru QB's we may need a extra!

Bike
08-08-2008, 01:54 AM
Very true. I still think we should have promised Farve the moon....I don't think we have a qb on our roster capable of turning 4-12 into 12-4...

tornadospotter
08-08-2008, 02:23 AM
The first drive, of the game against the bears, looked very good! Yes it just preseason, but gives me hope!

tornadospotter
08-08-2008, 02:24 AM
I am a Homer! :bananen_smilies046:

Bike
08-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Yeah, boy! Got to lay off for opener vs. Pats. Should get holiday pay!

AkChief49
08-08-2008, 04:59 AM
Who would be shocked to see Pennington in a Chiefs jersey? He has been released by the Jets and the rumors are that the Dolphins are interested. But he's the QB that Herm drafted in New York. I think this could get interesting. I really think this will test the Chiefs loyalty to Croyle.
Hermy wasn't there yet.......Al Groh was the head coach in 2000, the year Chad was drafted, Parcells was the general manager:bananen_smilies046: besides, Brodie has a better arm. Chad has had how many shoulder surgeries?

texaschief
08-08-2008, 09:52 AM
August 7, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

From Chicago, Illinois

Now that the New York Jets have released Chad Pennington, the quarterback will begin to ***ess his immediate future.

One spot he will definitely consider is Arrowhead Stadium and the Kansas City Chiefs. If the Chiefs want to be part of the action for Pennington’s future services, they will be; they’ll be a very big part.

Right now, however, they are keeping their mouths shut. From top to bottom, the heirarchy had nothing to say about Pennington as the team stopped at the Chicago Marriott on Michigan Avenue to have a pre-game meal before Thursday night’s game against the Bears.

That silence alone speaks volumes.

There’s no question the Chiefs will investigate the entire situation with Pennington. Those discussions actually began on Wednesday when the internal NFL Grapevine made it clear that the Jets were the leading candidate to get retired/returned QB Brett Favre.

And you can bet those conversations were continued Thursday afternoon when the word came to the Chiefs here in the Windy City that Pennington had officially been released.

Here’s some things to know about Pennington. First, he was drafted by the New York Jets when Bill Parcells was running the show there. Second, the coach who put him in the starting lineup and stuck with him was Herm Edwards. Third, his agent is former Chiefs guard and KC resident Tom Condon.

A lot of what goes on in any business is about relationships and in the case of Pennington, that would seem to narrow the field to two teams: Miami, where Parcells is now the major domo of the Dolphins and Kansas City, where Edwards is rebuilding the Chiefs.

More than likely Pennington’s first hopes will be for a team where even at this late date, he can compete for the starting job. There are not many options there. It could happen in Baltimore, it could happen in Chicago and it could happen in Miami.

There are other teams that need competition for their starter or an experienced backup, places like Detroit, Minnnesota, Green Bay, San Francico and Kansas City.

With the Chiefs, Pennington would not get the chance to compete for the No. 1 job. Edwards and the franchise are committed to Brodie Croyle. But the franchise is determined to have an experienced NFL quarterback on their roster for this season.

Right now, that’s Damon Huard. Pennington is younger than Huard and has more experience playing in the league. He would be an upgrade.

As for Condon, he has a very good working relationship with the team’s front office. If Pennington wanted to re-unite with Edwards, Condon would make it happen.

Right now, it would seem the Dolphins have the edge because they do not have an established starter and have not declared one.

But the Chiefs are very much in the picture.

9 Responses to “The Word on Chiefs & Pennington”

* August 7, 2008 - Donovan says:

I was just wondering how long it would take for the Pennington rumors to start flying around! It definetly makes sense. Not that it matters, but I would definitely be happy to have him as a backup for the Chiefs.
* August 7, 2008 - Brian says:

Miami needs a veteran more than we do. Huard is a solid veteran backup for the third QB and can help build the tenacity within these young guys. My call (like anyone is listening) is Pennington competing for top spot on the Dolphins. Herm and Peterson have a plan and my guess is Herm will help Peterson stick to it this time.
* August 7, 2008 - JBChiefs says:

Chad Pennington would be an upgrade veteran backup. That would be his sole role. To backup Brodie Croyle. Upgrading all postions, whether starter or backup is what the new Chiefs have pledged to do.

Considering or getting Pennington is and will be in no way the Chiefs organization questioning Brodie Croyle. It will simply be upgrading the “veteran backup QB” position. I can see it now…the media and some Chiefs fans saying that Edwards is getting “his boy”, that the Chiefs don’t believe in Croyle…blah, blah, balh. Of course, Edwards and Peterson will reiterate until blue in the face that it is merely an upgrade in the “veteranbackup QB position”. Pennington is a better insurance policy than Huard.

Will be interesting to see if Pennington has an opportunity elsewhere to be a starter. I would imagine he would take that first over a “veteran backup role” that most teams will want him in. He also will now have to take a lesser salary as a “veteran backup QB” than he was being paid in NY as a starter. So money and PT will be the deciding factor as to where he goes.

Will be interesting for sure! But hey, at least the Brett Favre saga is over Whew!!!
* August 7, 2008 - kevin says:

How is pennington an upgrade? Huard was awesome. In fact I think if he was younger he could be a top quarterback. In 06. The only qb with a higher rating was peyton. Yall are not right. Huard stays
* August 7, 2008 - Alex Korson says:

I think this is a terrible idea, he has a noodle arm much like Huard, he is more fragile than Croyle, and it would cause Croyle to question job security…Im all for competition, but that doesnt have to come from experience, it can come from a young guy like thigpen.
* August 7, 2008 - jon says:

Huard is not awesome, he’s a good backup. He does make a lot of mistakes, but his upside is very small. He is not a quarterback that will make things happen. Overall i think pennington would be a better backup, but i think miami will outbid us on him.
* August 7, 2008 - Mark says:

Thigpen is/should be our backup. Huard is a content 3rd stringer, and no Chief fans would call for him if/when Brodie has some inevitable struggles. That would not be the case with Chad. This would be a poor move for the Chiefs on so many levels. I hope he signs with Miami, Minny, or GB VERY quickly to get this possibility off the Chiefs’s radar and any Chief fans mind.
* August 7, 2008 - Scott says:

I agree. I don’t want anything to do with Pennington. Huard is just fine as a backup and he reiterated tonight what he has shown the last two years:

He needs protection.

When anyone gets close to Huard he either panics and takes the sack or dumps it off to a short read. When he has time to let the play develop he can be a very smart and accurate p***er.

Huard looked great (at points) tonight. As long as the line can give him decent protection he’s a more than servicable backup. I’ll take him over Pennington any day.
* August 8, 2008 - Dustin says:

I agree with the guy above me. Huard was awesome tonight. The improved O line gave him protection and he took the team down the field. I have liked Huard since 06 when everyone thought the team was screwed when Green went down. Huard stepped in and started making plays. I love his tenacity in the pocket and how he will stand in there and deliver the ball!!
Rotoworld.com:
In addition to the Dolphins, the Chiefs are reportedly interested in free agent Chad Pennington.
Pennington wouldn't fit Kansas City's maniacal youth movement, but at least he'd make the NFL's worst QB depth chart look a bit more respectable. If the Chiefs acquire Pennington, Damon Huard would be shown the door.
PFT:
Cut today by the New York Jets after eight seasons, quarterback Chad Pennington is already in demand.

Per Tim Graham of ESPN.com, six teams have contacted Pennington’s agent, Tom Condon, regarding the veteran free-agent signal caller.

The Dolphins are one of the six; the other five aren’t known.

Other possible destinations could be the Chiefs, the Bears, the Vikings, the Falcons, and the Lions. The Bucs might be interested because, after all, he’s a quarterback. And the Patriots could be inclined to explore a possible upgrade at the spot behind Tom Brady.
If he's handed Huard's role on this team, I wouldn't be against getting him. I wouldn't even be all that pissed if he ended up being the #2 guy. But if he comes in and they say its an open competition, I'm going to fly of the f@#$%^& hook!!!

Guru
08-09-2008, 12:03 AM
I would be very shocked. Miami signed him today.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8429012/Dolphins-sign-Pennington-to-two-year-deal

texaschief
08-09-2008, 01:29 AM
I would be very shocked. Miami signed him today.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8429012/Dolphins-sign-Pennington-to-two-year-deal

thank god