PDA

View Full Version : Let Charles carry the load

wolfpack
09-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Since LJ dosen`t want to bounce it outside and Charles will, give the ball to him. Also Charles burst gets him through the hole(or what there is of one) faster than LJ.
I also think Smith`s speed mightbe suited for our line.
LJ`s 45 mil,orwhatever, is the only thing keeping him in.
Trade him or sit him!

jtandcrew
09-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Well, I was calling for a trade before the season started and I wouldnt be unreceptive of 1 now. Although, after 1 game? I blame more Gailey for the offense rather than a ineffective LJ. Seemed like every call LJ got was up the middle since the Chiefs have put in a "special package" for Charles. I think LJ was trying to make the best of a bad siuation. Did you see Charles running up the middle? No, or VERY few times. Also, did you see LJ run outside the tackles? No, only when he needed too. Im actually starting to think Gailey's offense just might be more predicable than Saunders. If LJ is in its going up the middle and if Charles is in? its most likely to going to bounce outside.

PawnshopMarimba
09-08-2008, 04:05 PM
I dunno about handing the reigns over to Charles quite yet, but he certainly made a strong case for himself yesterday. LJ needs to hit the line harder and remember that he's a power back first, and a finesse runner second.

texaschief
09-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Charles is not an every down back. Period. He will NEVER be the featured back in this system. He needs to keep his role as a change of pace/ complementary back.

royalswin100games
09-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Charles is not an every down back. Period. He will NEVER be the featured back in this system. He needs to keep his role as a change of pace/ complementary back.

Agreed. It would be good to have Kolby back to take some of those carries with LJ though. The guy looks like he's fallen off.

leaves
09-08-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm a lil bored of LJ, he doesnt look as good. He doesnt move or think as fast as he did. Plus, I'm really bummin that kolby didnt get time at all. He's been legit every game he plays. Everyone always figures to use two backs as powerback/speedback system, BUT charles is fast enough to juke the angles, smith is nimble enough to spin move forward for mulitple yds a pop.

royalswin100games
09-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Kolby is injured.

leaves
09-08-2008, 10:25 PM
is he? i hadnt realized that. you kno with what til he can go?

royalswin100games
09-08-2008, 10:51 PM
The Chiefs added Smith (back) to their injury report on Thursday, the Kansas City Star reports. He did not practice Thursday. Coach Herm Edwards hasn’t revealed any details about the injury, so we’ll probably have to wait until Friday’s designations (probable, questionable, etc.) come out before we know more about Smith’s status for Sunday’s opener at New England. If Smith can’t play, Jamaal Charles and Jackie Battle would likely share the primary backup role to Larry Johnson.

Source: Yahoo!Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-olbymithddedtonjurye&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy)

royalswin100games
09-08-2008, 10:52 PM
and...

Inactive players for the Chiefs today: WR Maurice Price, RB Kolby Smith, LB Napoleon Harris, G Brian De La Puente, T Barry Richardson, WR Will Franklin, DT T.J. Jackson and QB Tyler Thigpen (3rd quarterback). The Chiefs will go into the game with only three active wide receivers.

Source: Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/09/chiefs_inactive_1.html)

jtandcrew
09-09-2008, 11:56 AM
I dunno about handing the reigns over to Charles quite yet, but he certainly made a strong case for himself yesterday. LJ needs to hit the line harder and remember that he's a power back first, and a finesse runner second.

I wasnt saying Charles should be the featured RB. I was saying that I think Kolby could be though. If my count is right we have 4 rb's on the team not counting Cox, the FB. I agree that Charles will be a change of pace RB but I think Kolby can carry the load. Why not get something for LJ now while we can?

Coach
09-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Well, I was calling for a trade before the season started and I wouldnt be unreceptive of 1 now. Although, after 1 game? I blame more Gailey for the offense rather than a ineffective LJ. Seemed like every call LJ got was up the middle since the Chiefs have put in a "special package" for Charles. I think LJ was trying to make the best of a bad siuation. Did you see Charles running up the middle? No, or VERY few times. Also, did you see LJ run outside the tackles? No, only when he needed too. Im actually starting to think Gailey's offense just might be more predicable than Saunders. If LJ is in its going up the middle and if Charles is in? its most likely to going to bounce outside.
A couple of questions for you to ponder.
1. Is LJ a power back that is better suited for running between the tackles or is he a finesse back known for bouncing it outside?
2. Is Jamal Charles a power back that is better suited for running between the tackles or is he an finesse back known for bouncing it outside?

Gailey is doing what any good coach does, he puts players in a position to be successful. It is then up to the player, to make it happen.

I would agree that it can become predictable if it never mixed up. Which is why playaction and screen plays are in the playbook. Just my opinion.

Agreed, see above.

Yep.

jtandcrew
09-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I understand what you are saying Coach but, in Dallas he had only Emitt Smith! Hes a mixture of both. LJ has proven, imo, that he can be both a power or finesse. Granted hes not going to be Laddaien Tomlinson though. Charles is definately a finesse but being smaller RB? Then why not send him through the line and see what happens? Remember what Barry Sanders and EmittSmith was able to do being under sized RB's? Thats all im saying is mix it up a bit more.

Coach
09-09-2008, 12:23 PM
I understand what you are saying Coach but, in Dallas he had only Emitt Smith! Hes a mixture of both. LJ has proven, imo, that he can be both a power or finesse. Granted hes not going to be Laddaien Tomlinson though. Charles is definately a finesse but being smaller RB? Then why not send him through the line and see what happens? Remember what Barry Sanders and EmittSmith was able to do being under sized RB's? Thats all im saying is mix it up a bit more.

I agree that throwing to Charles in the flat or open space is the best use of his talents. And mixing things up a bit could definitely help.

Talk about blowing a great chance. Do you think they would have went for a 2 pt conversion if they had scored?

jtandcrew
09-09-2008, 12:28 PM
I really dont think they would have regardless what Herm says. I think he woulda takin his chances in OT. I woulda been happy if he did though.....real happy!

texaschief
09-09-2008, 01:17 PM
I really dont think they would have regardless what Herm says. I think he woulda takin his chances in OT. I woulda been happy if he did though.....real happy!

They would've gone for two. Their chances of putting points on the board were better from the two than winning the coin toss and then driving another 40 to 50 yards against that defense again to kick a field goal.

chief31
09-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I would like to think that they would have gone for two. But I have no doubt that Herm would have sent it to overtime.

Hasn't he proven that he is scared of risk yet?

Three7s
09-09-2008, 08:39 PM
I would like to think that they would have gone for two. But I have no doubt that Herm would have sent it to overtime.

Hasn't he proven that he is scared of risk yet?
Well, he said to the press that he would have. Still hard to believe, though. Personally, I would've gone for two. Texas said it best, if it goes into OT and the Pats get the toss, moving into FG range would be a joke, if we get the toss, I'm sure we'd be pretty hard-pressed to move the ball.

chief31
09-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Well, he said to the press that he would have. Still hard to believe, though. Personally, I would've gone for two. Texas said it best, if it goes into OT and the Pats get the toss, moving into FG range would be a joke, if we get the toss, I'm sure we'd be pretty hard-pressed to move the ball.

It's the fact that it seems so logical to go for it, that makes me so certain that Herm wouldn't have.

He rarely fails to do the obviously wrong thing. :D

tornadospotter
09-09-2008, 09:19 PM
It's the fact that it seems so logical to go for it, that makes me so certain that Herm wouldn't have.

He rarely fails to do the obviously wrong thing. :D
:lol: I would be a whole lot more interested in the direction this thread has gone....... If we had actually scored the touchdown, and then won or lost either by going for the 2 points or in overtime. :D

chief31
09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I would have been thrilled to have lost by two. Might have questioned which play they would have chosen for the two-point attempt, but would have been proud to say that we went for it.

Odds are... I would have given Hermie zero credit for the decision though. :D

jtandcrew
09-10-2008, 10:50 PM
I woulda been happy if they sent Bowe and Gonzo on crossing routes. Or even sent them BOTH to the corners! To only take Bowe to the corner? If you look at the game Bowe was his only look! Although im happy that we made a game of it!

Bike
09-10-2008, 11:00 PM
On the road against defending afc champs - I would have gone for the 2 pts and the win. But then again, who gives a sh!t.

Big Daddy Tek
09-10-2008, 11:21 PM
I would have been thrilled to have lost by two. Might have questioned which play they would have chosen for the two-point attempt, but would have been proud to say that we went for it.

Odds are... I would have given Hermie zero credit for the decision though. :D

2 times in your last post, you actually admitted that no matter what happened or what the chiefs did you would not have given Herm any credit and would have questioned whatever they did, whatever the outcome. Thats the problem with you and many other rotten Chiefs fans. I wish we could trade you guys to another team.

rbedgood
09-11-2008, 12:01 AM
2 times in your last post, you actually admitted that no matter what happened or what the chiefs did you would not have given Herm any credit and would have questioned whatever they did, whatever the outcome. Thats the problem with you and many other rotten Chiefs fans. I wish we could trade you guys to another team.

...enter an unbiased opinion.

Herm Edwards has some good qualities, but he has some serious flaws as a coach. Offensive gamecalling, protection of the QB, and clock management are the flaws that I see. On the other hand he does have a good eye for young talent, he's a sound fundamental coach, and generally players like to play for him.

I personally wouldn't want him on the 49ers, but I also don't want the dumbass we have right now. I'm not sure who is worse.

Big Daddy Tek
09-11-2008, 12:51 AM
...enter an unbiased opinion.

Herm Edwards has some good qualities, but he has some serious flaws as a coach. Offensive gamecalling, protection of the QB, and clock management are the flaws that I see. On the other hand he does have a good eye for young talent, he's a sound fundamental coach, and generally players like to play for him.

I personally wouldn't want him on the 49ers, but I also don't want the dumbass we have right now. I'm not sure who is worse.
Herm doesnt call the plays man. He didnt last year either

rbedgood
09-11-2008, 12:52 AM

Don't kid yourself he has input on the gameplan...I guess I should've said offensive gameplanning not playcalling.

tornadospotter
09-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Don't kid yourself he has input on the gameplan...I guess I should've said offensive gameplanning not playcalling.
Yep, :11: Those :sign0104:'s just do not know how to read what we say yet! :wheelchair:

texaschief
09-11-2008, 01:07 AM
damn moderators.

rbedgood
09-11-2008, 01:19 AM
damn moderators.

Dangit where's my 'ban hammer' j/k...seriously though I would've used it on the Timsatt variant the other day, but the 'instruction manual' hasn't arrived yet.

texaschief
09-11-2008, 01:24 AM
Dangit where's my 'ban hammer' j/k...seriously though I would've used it on the Timsatt variant the other day, but the 'instruction manual' hasn't arrived yet.

LMAO... which variant is it this time?

rbedgood
09-11-2008, 01:33 AM
LMAO... which variant is it this time?

He came on the other day and made a single post, admitted who he was and called Palin the 'first female President'.

tornadospotter
09-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Don't you have people around to do that for you? Godfather, Don rbedgood, with my respect.

rbedgood
09-11-2008, 01:37 AM
Don't you have people around to do that for you? Godfather, Don rbedgood, with my respect.

--some jobs require a personal touch!! :D

texaschief
09-11-2008, 01:43 AM
He came on the other day and made a single post, admitted who he was and called Palin the 'first female President'.

Actually, he might be right on that one.

chief31
09-11-2008, 05:51 AM

First off, I have plenty of bias against Herm Edwards. If you don't like that, feel free to disagree with it.

Secondly, many have mentioned that personal attacks are against the rules. Try to abide by those rules please. Just keep the name-calling out of it.

Seriously, it is so easy, even a caveman can do it. Maybe you can do it too. ;)

Thirdly, I am a member of this 'teams' management. You can't trade me.

On the other hand, if you find yourself unable to follow the rules, eventually, I can trade you.

Inserting your philosophy into an OCs basic gameplanning can get you some responsibility for the plays that are called.

Again, feel free to disagree.

Now, in case you want to know... And I assume you do, since you decided to address me... The reason I am so biased against Herm Edwards is because he has assisted in the injury, and sometimes even the destruction of so many QBs over his seven and a partial season career as a head coach.

Before this last draft, Herm had never selected an offensive lineman higher than mid-late third round.

In that same timeframe, none of the 32 NFL teams failed to draft an offensive lineman higher than that. Not one.

But then, I don't think that any NFL team had half as many QB injuries during that timeframe either.

Is it really such a coincidence that, in two of his three season as The Chiefs' head coach, he has managed to watch his starting QB not finish game one?

When you are that ignorant of something that is that important to my team, you are gonna get alot of criticism from me.

Then, in this draft, with one of the deepest OT classes of recent memory, a glaring need at OT, and six picks in the first three rounds, Herm drafted an OG.

If, and only if, Albert wind-up being a damn good OT, then he will be able to get a little bit of support from me.

One more time... Feel free to disagree. Keep the name-calling to yourself.

Three7s
09-11-2008, 05:56 AM
Well, Albert looked pretty good against a really good Patriots D-line, so I think he's coming along pretty well. There is one thing you forgot to mention! Along with the numerous QB injuries that Herm has induced, he's also killed a lot of great RB careers. (Curtis Martin, possibly LJ)

chief31
09-11-2008, 06:02 AM
I am not one who pins that on him. A RB is going to get hit, just about every time he gets the ball.

One might could fault Herm for the HB getting tackled behind the LOS, but he would have been tackled either way. For the most part.

texaschief
09-11-2008, 02:11 PM
I am not one who pins that on him. A RB is going to get hit, just about every time he gets the ball.

One might could fault Herm for the HB getting tackled behind the LOS, but he would have been tackled either way. For the most part.

But you blame Herm for the defense bringing more defenders on a blitz than the offense has men to block? I don't get that. Same as i don't get how you can blame him for the late hit Green took or the shoulder injury of Pennington. Go back and look at each injury individually and show me how Herm Edwards was responsible.

chief31
09-11-2008, 02:43 PM
But you blame Herm for the defense bringing more defenders on a blitz than the offense has men to block? I don't get that. Same as i don't get how you can blame him for the late hit Green took or the shoulder injury of Pennington. Go back and look at each injury individually and show me how Herm Edwards was responsible.

All 402 QB injuries..... No pass protection.

Late hit on Green? What was Green doing? Was he running for his life? Possible lack of protection.

It's true, all QBs take some hits. But Herms QBs take alot more hits.

You can say that you don't understand all you want, but you do.

It amazes me that a head coach who has seen his QB get injured every season, often several QBs, can actually draft less protection than any NFL team, over a seven year period. Then wonder why his QBs are getting hurt.

Sn@keIze
09-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Herm a roid said he wouldve went for two and already had the play in mind had Bowe not stunk it up.

Three7s
09-11-2008, 05:53 PM

Late hit on Green? What was Green doing? Was he running for his life? Possible lack of protection.

It amazes me that a head coach who has seen his QB get injured every season, often several QBs, can actually draft less protection than any NFL team, over a seven year period. Then wonder why his QBs are getting hurt.
I remember it like it was yesterday. Green was trying to make a play, so he does what he always does. He tried to run for the 1st down and made it, but got injured in the process. I'm with Texas on that one, that was all Green, not Herm.

texaschief
09-11-2008, 06:20 PM

you are saying these things as if they are truths. show me some stats how Herm has drafted fewer Oline players than anyone else in the league, please post them. I'm genuinely interested. I'd also like to know if Herm's QB are getting hit more. Again, I'd love to see some stat on this.

Bike
09-11-2008, 08:57 PM
We're talking about professional football players that get paid to knock each other in the dirt. I can't blame Herm for all these qb injuries....
It is up to the individual player to keep himself injury-free so that he may play another day by(IMO):
Making smart decisions
Keeping himself in top physical condition
Knowing his teammates and his opponent
And probably a little luck
Hell, if every team had just one sack a game, thats over 500 sacks a year! Lots of opportunities for qb injuries.
I'm just saying that ol problems isn't the sole reason for qb injuries on Herms' teams.
Brady out for the year. I'm not going to blame Belicheat for that one...

Chiefster
09-11-2008, 10:15 PM
I don't care who carries the load, as long as the Chiefs win.

leaves
09-12-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm not gonna blame herm for any injuries. Brodie's not exactly big, and LJ's likely over his peak.

The real issue with LJ is that he is ALWAYS considered a power back (cuz he's big), but he doesnt play like that much of a power back. LJ has always needed to get passed the def. frontline before he could breakout. Just think about his runs, when a defender gets to him before he is a couple yds passed the line o' scrim, he always gets tackled. This is where LT, frank gore, adrian peterson, etc all seperate themselves from him.

kcchiefs4life
09-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm not gonna blame herm for any injuries. Brodie's not exactly big, and LJ's likely over his peak.

The real issue with LJ is that he is ALWAYS considered a power back (cuz he's big), but he doesnt play like that much of a power back. LJ has always needed to get passed the def. frontline before he could breakout. Just think about his runs, when a defender gets to him before he is a couple yds passed the line o' scrim, he always gets tackled. This is where LT, frank gore, adrian peterson, etc all seperate themselves from him.

I agree. LT averages what, 4 yrds, 2 yrds a carry? He is always getting tripped up. I personally don't think LJ runs HARD like he used to. I remember how holmes ran HARD and always at an angle. This seemed to work so well, he was always beating def players on the slant run, he always picked up a few more yards.
That is the main difference I see with LJ vs. Gore, Peterson, etc. Those RB's run HARD. Look at Peterson last week, you could tell he was out there runing hard and wanting it. Right now I couldn't tell you want LJ wants. I know a couple years ago he wanted to be a starter. he got it.....now what?

nigeriannightmare
09-12-2008, 04:20 PM

Although you may not want to blame Herm for all of our quarterbacks problems, you can't deny the fact the under his coaching they all seem to get injured. Was looking at a couple of Jets sights and they had the same problems with his coaching as some of us chiefs fans do. Maybe he is just cursed....

Big Daddy Tek
09-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Although you may not want to blame Herm for all of our quarterbacks problems, you can't deny the fact the under his coaching they all seem to get injured. Was looking at a couple of Jets sights and they had the same problems with his coaching as some of us chiefs fans do. Maybe he is just cursed....
"Under his coaching?" Like he has them play in a fashion to get injured easier. Your a fool.

Three7s
09-12-2008, 10:53 PM
"Under his coaching?" Like he has them play in a fashion to get injured easier. Your a fool.
Some of us may post out of anger with the way Herm has ran things around here, and it's clear that we're all just posting our opinions. I know you've been told this before, but I think it needs to be reiterated. Try to keep it cool with the insults. Things like "idiot" and "fool" won't fly too well here.

Just some friendly advice. =)

Big Daddy Tek
09-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Some of us may post out of anger with the way Herm has ran things around here, and it's clear that we're all just posting our opinions. I know you've been told this before, but I think it needs to be reiterated. Try to keep it cool with the insults. Things like "idiot" and "fool" won't fly too well here.

Just some friendly advice. =)
Didnt think fool was too harsh 7's. Ive seen you get on people pretty good also. Not justifying it, just saying. I love how we can call Herm or Carl any vulger profanity in the book, using symbols, but when one guy calls another guy a fool, its serious all the sudden.

Three7s
09-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Didnt think fool was too harsh 7's. Ive seen you get on people pretty good also. Not justifying it, just saying. I love how we can call Herm or Carl any vulger profanity in the book, using symbols, but when one guy calls another guy a fool, its serious all the sudden.
Well, that may be so, though I do usually try to keep insults out of my posts. The only time I will intentionally insult is if trolls from other teams come on to the forums, but they deserve it!

Big Daddy Tek
09-12-2008, 11:12 PM
agreed

Bike
09-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Ah, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck, then I call it a duck.

nigeriannightmare
09-13-2008, 01:55 PM

Herm is a sub .500 coach with a history of going through quarterbacks, ask the jets how many quaterbacks were injured under his tenure there. I did mention that maybe he is just cursed,(when it comes to quarterbacks) but i guess you just don't read that well...IF you wanna have a beer and discuss the matter I'll be in section 321 row 32 with the rest of the fools who don't like herm.

nigeriannightmare
09-13-2008, 06:15 PM

And by the way o' genious one it's you're a fool, or you are a fool...

Chiefster
09-13-2008, 10:20 PM

Well, that may be so, though I do usually try to keep insults out of my posts. The only time I will intentionally insult is if trolls from other teams come on to the forums, but they deserve it!

Yup, and the day that Herm and Carl log on and become productive members of the site then I will discontinue the Herm and Carl bashing and play nice. :D

Big Daddy Tek
09-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Hey Nigerian:
how about "use a foo!"

rbedgood
09-19-2008, 03:03 AM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/09/13.jpg