PDA

View Full Version : Herm's reasoning for starting Thigpen

Three7s
09-17-2008, 09:17 PM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Tyler Thigpen (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10660), the first player from Coastal Carolina selected in the NFL draft, will be the first to start at quarterback.

The 24-year-old Thigpen will be under center on Sunday for Kansas City when the Chiefs go to Atlanta. It will be exactly 11 months after the struggling young Chiefs (0-2) last won a game.
A 23-8 loss to the Oakland Raiders (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=oak) on Sunday, in which Thigpen came off the bench and finished 14-for-33, was their 11th straight regular-season defeat.
"For what we're trying to do, I think he can do a good job of it," coach Herm Edwards said. "He'll be limited in some things but we want to take a look at him."
After coming in for Damon Huard (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1398) against Oakland, Thigpen looked every bit like the inexperienced second-year pro that he is and sent several passes glancing off the hands of defensive backs.
But he appeared to settle down and eventually hit tight end Tony Gonzalez (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1231) with a short touchdown pass and converted the two-point conversion. He also threw an interception and finished 14-for-33 for 151 yards.
"He's another young player, a quarterback we want to look at, see where he's at. If he struggles, obviously Damon comes in," Edwards said.
Brodie Croyle (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9671), the strong-armed but injury-prone young quarterback the Chiefs are hoping to build around, has a separated shoulder and will be out at least one more week and possibly more. Huard, a 12-year veteran and the only quarterback in Kansas City who has won in the NFL, made the start against the Raiders but came out in the first half with a sore neck.
Now Huard is OK, but Thigpen will join several inexperienced young Chiefs who are getting a cram course in the NFL.
"We're trying to look at young players, it's part of the process," Edwards said. "Is [Thigpen] a two? Is he a one? Is he always going to be a three? You don't know until they play, until they have an opportunity to play."
With 15 rookies and 32 players of three years of experience or less, the Chiefs are the NFL's youngest team. Branden Albert (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11249), a rookie, will start at left tackle and be tasked with protecting Thigpen from Atlanta's John Abraham (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2144), who has four sacks in two games. Both starting cornerbacks and a starting defensive tackle are also rookies.
The more seasoned Huard would seem to provide a better opportunity for victory. But Edwards bristled at the suggestion the Chiefs have decided to sacrifice wins in order to develop young players.
"We're not trying to discard the season. We're not trying to not win any football games," he said.
"We're the youngest team in football. We know that. But we're trying to develop our plan. We're trying to build a football team, and it's hard. It's not a lot of fun. We're going to try to beat the Falcons. We feel with what we're trying to do this week, we'll have a great chance to be successful."
Thigpen helped Coastal Carolina launch its Football Championship Subdivision program. In 41 games with the Chanticleers, he completed 486-of-879 passes for 6,598 yards, with 53 touchdowns and 25 interceptions. He was the first player from his school selected as a consensus All-American.
Drafted by Minnesota in the seventh round in 2007, he was claimed off waivers and threw only six passes for the Chiefs last season, completing two. This year during the preseason, he was 25-of-54 for 282 yards and two touchdowns and three interceptions.

PawnshopMarimba
09-17-2008, 09:26 PM
I liked how Herm didn't say they were trying to *win* games, just "not trying to not win any games". The guy really DOES have a loser's mentality. Sheesh.

Hayvern
09-17-2008, 09:40 PM
OK, so I have to update my picks in my pick-em league. This is not about winning football games anymore, it is more about extending the pre-season.

Seek
09-18-2008, 12:49 PM
I liked how Herm didn't say they were trying to *win* games, just "not trying to not win any games". The guy really DOES have a loser's mentality. Sheesh.

That is the one sentence that I picked up as well. He basically said he is not intentionally losing games, but he skated around saying that they were playing to win.

spiman
09-18-2008, 05:46 PM
:mob: YouTube - KC Chiefs 2008. Believe. :sign0103: Somebody help us!!:11:

slc chief
09-18-2008, 06:02 PM
that was pretty funny

jtandcrew
09-19-2008, 02:24 AM
:lol: I agree with the worthless! :mob:

Bay Area Chiefs
09-19-2008, 07:38 AM
What !!!

Coach
09-19-2008, 11:59 PM
I agree with giving Thigpen a shot. Let's see what the kid has got. Last week was not a fair assessment. I know that Huard is not the long term solution and Croyle is hurt.

jtandcrew
09-20-2008, 01:12 AM
I agree with giving Thigpen a shot. Let's see what the kid has got. Last week was not a fair assessment. I know that Huard is not the long term solution and Croyle is hurt.

Ive stated in another thread that if we are rebuilding then Thigpen should be the starter over Huard!

Chiefster
09-20-2008, 01:35 AM

At this point I think that one is probably as good as the other. FWIW.

OTR Chiefs fan
09-20-2008, 02:45 AM
I understand Herm wanting to take a look at Thigpen. But , getting a win right now would go a long way in helping this team with confidence. We've lost 11 straight games dating back from last season, and losing has a way of wearing on players and creating a losing mindset that's hard to overcome. Let's win a couple of games, then maybe start "looking" at players. Just my opinion. :11::D

Sn@keIze
09-20-2008, 03:00 AM
........and I quote.."Hello!........you play........to win..the game..................YOU PLAY.......TO WIN....THE GAME!

Huard gives us the best chance to win. So Herm is full of nothing but lip service.

If Herm wanted to give Thig a try, fine, but he should have released Huard if he never planned on using him. Preseason is over, you give the ball to proven players.

Chiefster
09-20-2008, 03:06 AM
I understand Herm wanting to take a look at Thigpen. But , getting a win right now would go a long way in helping this team with confidence. We've lost 11 straight games dating back from last season, and losing has a way of wearing on players and creating a losing mindset that's hard to overcome. Let's win a couple of games, then maybe start "looking" at players. Just my opinion. :11::D

........and I quote.."Hello!........you play........to win..the game..................YOU PLAY.......TO WIN....THE GAME!

Huard gives us the best chance to win. So Herm is full of nothing but lip service.

If Herm wanted to give Thig a try, fine, but he should have released Huard if he never planned on using him. Preseason is over, you give the ball to proven players.

Good points.

tornadospotter
09-20-2008, 03:23 AM

Huard gives us the best chance to win.
How? He will not be able to get away from the rush!
So Herm is full of nothing but lip service.

If Herm wanted to give Thig a try, fine, but he should have released Huard if he never planned on using him.
So release him and be done with it, so throw him away, and his contract! Huard is still a valuable player for us! He can still come in and play if needed!
Preseason is over, you give the ball to proven players.
Thig has to be the QB, I just hope that we have a game plan that will allow him to escape the defensive rush.
Huard came in and proved that he is go to guy, as a back up QB! He can not be a starting QB, with the current O-Line! We have no choice but, move the QB out of the pocket, and create plays from that, we can not protect Huard! If he was to start, he will be out before the first quarter is done! jmo

Three7s
09-20-2008, 03:29 AM
I've been worried about this since the rebuilding took shape. Herm wanting to "get guys in the game" and "see how this kid does" just screams to me "I don't care about winning right now." You are 100% right about the losing mindset.

IMO, even if it means some of the younger guys lose some playing time, we need to win a game just to win one and get momentum. Though, it doesn't matter much anymore, may as well see if these guys can play and change the course of negative momentum.

tornadospotter
09-20-2008, 03:43 AM
I've been worried about this since the rebuilding took shape. Herm wanting to "get guys in the game" and "see how this kid does" just screams to me "I don't care about winning right now." You are 100% right about the losing mindset.

IMO, even if it means some of the younger guys lose some playing time, we need to win a game just to win one and get momentum. Though, it doesn't matter much anymore, may as well see if these guys can play and change the course of negative momentum.
Yes we need a win! Huard is a vet, He has proven that he is prepared to come in and take over if the starting QB gets hurt, so he is good to go most anytime he not hurt. Thig is young, he does not know how to prepare to be a backup QB, So having him take all the snaps at practice with the first team, he will be more prepared to be successful, if he fails, Huard the vet will be prepared to come in! But we need Thig to run outside the pocket and create plays if needed! We need a play maker at QB......... I hope he can do it.

arrowheadGoon305
09-20-2008, 11:41 AM
we have lyk 5 QB's...letz c....croyle, huard, thigpen, martin, and hagans...i lyked how brodie wuz throwing da ball in da 1st week (b4 he got hurt).a healthy brodie is da best qb we got....but we all know HUARD IS DA BEST OUT OF DEM ALL!!!!!

OTR Chiefs fan
09-20-2008, 09:06 PM
we have lyk 5 QB's...letz c....croyle, huard, thigpen, martin, and hagans...i lyked how brodie wuz throwing da ball in da 1st week (b4 he got hurt).a healthy brodie is da best qb we got....but we all know HUARD IS DA BEST OUT OF DEM ALL!!!!!

I agree with the Croyle point. I also, liked the way Croyle was throwing the ball in the first game. But, he's got to stay healthy and he's had a history of being injured. Just check his college days to verify that. If he can't stay on the field then he's no good to us. :11:

Hayvern
09-20-2008, 09:29 PM

Listen, you do not lend yourself to knowing what you are talking about by writing in this fashion. Why not impress people with your intelligence instead of writing like this.

The leet speak crap really is annoying!

tammietailgator
09-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Listen, you do not lend yourself to knowing what you are talking about by writing in this fashion. Why not impress people with your intelligence instead of writing like this.

The leet speak crap really is annoying!

:bananen_smilies046::lol: - it is annoying - I feel like a transator!

Three7s
09-20-2008, 10:34 PM
I can translate dis stuff for ya'll. Dis homie knows da leet speak!

drstandley31
09-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Doesn't matter who they start. Might as well give Thig the experience, and as someone else already said, Huard is ready regardless. There are so few plays in the offense Huard's prep time is minimal. The bigger issus is if this Defense can step up. Played pretty good against NE, then laid an egg in the home opener against our worst rival. This is a game that will show us if this team really can make a step forward, or if we really are as bad as we look. Even if they don't win, they need to take a step forward! Rebuilding doesn't mean it's ok to be constantly awful. Rebuilding means "building", and it's time to see if any of the foundation of this team is there.

spiman
09-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Thank old men who wanna win:wheelchair: ME!!!!!!!!

Canada
09-25-2008, 09:57 PM

Just so everyone knows, I think a transator is actually a translater! But I could be wrong. :D

spiman
09-25-2008, 10:19 PM
So who got ? Just a win..I would have said "just a win baby" /That is so bay area {Faders} Tell me win?

arrowheadGoon305
09-27-2008, 08:14 PM

The leet speak crap really is annoying!does it matter...i know im intelligent, i dont gotta show it 2 u ppl....if u can understand the writing, then it doesnt matter

Bike
09-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Just so everyone knows, I think a transator is actually a translater! But I could be wrong. :D
Could you translate that please? And grab me a beer while your in the fridge. Thanks.

Bike
09-27-2008, 10:56 PM
does it matter...i know im intelligent, i dont gotta show it 2 u ppl....if u can understand the writing, then it doesnt matter
You're too stupid to know you're intelligent.