PDA

View Full Version : Let's have fun (Management)

texaschief
09-23-2008, 01:15 AM
Right now, everyone hates the current management. This thread is being made to look at GMs ONLY. I can't stand Carl Peterson as the GM of this team. Allowing the Chiefs to get as old as they did this decade is inexcusable and should cost him his job. His player evaluation is practically non-existent. (Justin Medlock)

I want to know who people think we should bring in as the new GM of this organization and why. Instead of complaining, offer solutions.

Personally, I like Marty Shottenheimer. He was basically the coach and GM while he was here, but i just don't want him as a coach. He built the 90's Chiefs and 00's Chargers. This guy knows talent when he sees it. He also has an attitude to reckon with which could come in handy during contract negotiations.

garciakcfan
09-23-2008, 01:20 AM
One answer BILL POLLIAN

He put together the bills of the 90's and the Colts of Today

Awesome GM that would be worth every penny he would command if we could ever get a sniff of him

texaschief
09-23-2008, 01:23 AM
One answer BILL POLLIAN

He put together the bills of the 90's and the Colts of Today

Awesome GM that would be worth every penny he would command if we could ever get a sniff of him

The Bills of the 90's that had Jim Kelly and the Colts of today that have Peyton Manning? Sounds more like a product of great QB's than a guy who can truly build a team. JMO

btw, out of all those great teams with those two great QBs, his teams have only one title.

garciakcfan
09-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Just one title yes, but they always had and have competitive teams and he drafted both guys if im correct, and the bills of the 90's are gonna have what 4 or 5 hall of famers? not including all of the pro bowlers too between the two teams.. He has a knack for finding good talent and filling teams needs

texaschief
09-23-2008, 01:30 AM
Kelly was picked #14 as the 2nd QB behind Elway.

Manning was taken #1.

Those picks weren't exactly brain busters.

Sn@keIze
09-23-2008, 01:32 AM
Well, to get us in the right direction...............

Any one but CP, and lets go from there.

Serioulsy, TexasChief, Marty would be good on the staff, but not necessarily as GM, Im afraid he would be too conservative. In other words, picking conservative HCs and drafting OL or LBs in the draft.

Too bad Mark Levy isnt avail. for GM.

texaschief
09-23-2008, 01:37 AM

Serioulsy, TexasChief, Marty would be good on the staff, but not necessarily as GM, Im afraid he would be too conservative. In other words, picking conservative HCs and drafting OL or LBs in the draft.

What kind of GM do you want? Perhaps one that trades away good WRs and 1st round picks for pro bowl players with just 5 or 6 years left in their careers? We've already got that guy.

There's something to be said about drafting conservatively. At least you know you're going to get NFL contributers to build around and not a 6/38 draft picks who are going to wash out of the league in only 2-4 years.

The Chiefs need to build a foundation. That calls for conservative/sure thing drafting. Kinda like what the Chiefs have done the last 3 years.

Sn@keIze
09-23-2008, 01:48 AM
What kind of GM do you want? Perhaps one that trades away good WRs and 1st round picks for pro bowl players with just 5 or 6 years left in their careers? We've already got that guy.

There's something to be said about drafting conservatively. At least you know you're going to get NFL contributers to build around and not a 6/38 draft picks who are going to wash out of the league in only 2-4 years.

The Chiefs need to build a foundation. That calls for conservative/sure thing drafting. Kinda like what the Chiefs have done the last 3 years.
What the chiefs have done on the field the last three years is unsatisfactory.

garciakcfan
09-23-2008, 02:00 AM
bob sanders, dallas clark, joseph addai, marvin harrison, reggie wayne, the list goes on and thats not including the bills players

texaschief
09-23-2008, 02:17 AM
[/B]
What the chiefs have done on the field the last three years is unsatisfactory.

Agreed. But two of those years, the Chiefs were the OLDEST team in the league. You only get 7 draft picks per year to turnover your roster. When you whiff on all but 4 of 38 draft picks since 2001, this is the type of team you get.

We shouldn't have needed to sign McBride, Tank or Dorsey had ANY of the Siavii, Sims, Freeman or Downing picks weren't epic busts. The picks we used on Turk, Tank and Dorsey could've been used on other positions such as Oline or CB. But when you're rebuilding a team. You have to start on the Offensive and Defensive Line (which is why you saw Dorsey and Albert taken in the first round this season).

I can't stress enough how absolutely screwed the Chiefs are because of their past epic failures in the draft this decade. Maybe Vermeil was a better coach than Edwards, but the fact remains that the CP/Vermeil combo is what destroyed this team.

The Chiefs' offensive line wouldn't be so bad now had Black, Sampson, Brett Williams, Parquet, Svitek had become serviceable O-Linemen ready to step in once Roaf/Shields retired. They weren't.

The Chiefs wouldn't have had to use picks on CBs had Harts, Battle, or Hodge become serviceable CBs.

The Chiefs were lucky as hell that their replacement long-snapper (who was drafted in the 4th round) became a stud DE.

The Chiefs wouldn't have a problem at WR had Kitchings, Morris, Minnis, McIntyre, Parker, or Thorpe been able to step up and be part of this team.

The Chiefs wouldn't have had to spend a pair of picks on TEs this past year had Wilson or Baber become a part of this team.

This team boils down to the fact that we are starting a bunch of players who were thrown in the deep end of the pool without the luxury of being able to sit on the bench and learn from solid pros for their first couple seasons. That is why the draft is so important. You need to find a way to win now while still keeping your eye on the future. This is inexcusable from CP and it should have cost him his job.

Guru
09-23-2008, 04:17 AM
I don't want anyone from the Carl tree at all. AT ALL!!!!

At ANY position in this organization.

McLovin
09-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Listening to Sirius Radio yesterday they had Marty on a show on NFL, and for the first time that I am aware of he admitted that him leaving KC was a big mistake. I personally was happy to see him leave. I am against him being the coach but I dont know that I would mind too bad if he was GM although I thought that Hermie might be a good head coach.... so my evaluation skills are a little suspect.

Three7s
09-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Listening to Sirius Radio yesterday they had Marty on a show on NFL, and for the first time that I am aware of he admitted that him leaving KC was a big mistake. I personally was happy to see him leave. I am against him being the coach but I dont know that I would mind too bad if he was GM although I thought that Hermie might be a good head coach.... so my evaluation skills are a little suspect.
Interesting, think he wouldn't mind coming back? Even if he doesn't know how to win in the playoffs, he's 10x better than Herm on a bad day!

balto
09-23-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm with most of you saying get Herm out of KC NOWWWW!!!!, But I will say (from what I have heard) CP gave Herm a lot more call on last years draft and that is why I believe is was one of our better ones in years.

This shows me that YES we need to show CP the Door, but what about this :lol:

Herm sucks at calling plays and being a coach overall, so lets make him our GM so he can continue to have good drafts and pick up Cowher as our new Coach.

I know I know that is a CRAAAZZZYYYY IDEA!!!!

tornadospotter
09-23-2008, 09:56 AM
I like Marty for GM, but I am still pio at him about the Gannon/Grbac decision.

texaschief
09-23-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm with most of you saying get Herm out of KC NOWWWW!!!!, But I will say (from what I have heard) CP gave Herm a lot more call on last years draft and that is why I believe is was one of our better ones in years.

This shows me that YES we need to show CP the Door, but what about this :lol:

Herm sucks at calling plays and being a coach overall, so lets make him our GM so he can continue to have good drafts and pick up Cowher as our new Coach.

I know I know that is a CRAAAZZZYYYY IDEA!!!!

I'm not sold on Cowher but i like the idea as Herm as the GM. I just don't think he's done coaching so i doubt he'd take the position.

TRB05
09-23-2008, 01:29 PM

Because that is a terrible idea? Look at the freaking Bengals! They have all the talent at the skills positions, but they suck, and they have for a long time. Do you know why? Their O-line sucks and their entire defense sucks. Seriously, the Offensive Line is THE most important group of players to a teams success, there is no getting around that.

m0ef0e
09-23-2008, 01:58 PM
I'd say Marty or Cowher.

Canada
09-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Matt Millen? :D

tornadospotter
09-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Matt Millen? :D
:funnypost:

jtandcrew
09-24-2008, 10:29 AM
:lol:

Herm as GM? No freaking way! He cant even coach and so I dont want him calling shots for the salary cap!

Although, I do have to agree that CP has to go! Actually both Herm and CP has to go!

Marty? Im for trying that for a few seasons!

Polian? Would be awesome! He got the other top draft picks since he knows how to play the game! He built the team around Manning.

1 thing though! Alot of people are yelling that Carl and Herm should be fired now. Then why does Kiffin still have his job with the team he was given? I agree that Herm, CP, and Kiffin should be gone!

Kiffin, just because of the team he was given and not producing so horribly. Herm and CP? Just because they have put together 1 of the worst teams there is and cant coach them. All coaches make the mistakes in the draft and most this year havent proved to be bad but how many game losing streak are we on?

Im for Cowher for HC/GM all the way! I think he deserves to come where he started and has proven himself to have a chance to run his own team.

JMO:toast2:

jakesmith
09-24-2008, 11:02 AM
I havent heard anything from upper management, meaning the Hunts. Have they showed any displeasure in CP or Herm.

I know I'm on the short end of the stick on this, but I think Herm is good at drafting, he knows talent. The last few draft classes prove it. Just because he cant coach, doesnt mean he doesnt have a place in the Chiefs organization. However, I dont think he would take the GM job if CP were let go. I like Cowher also, but not sure where he stands on getting back into the mix.

jtandcrew
09-24-2008, 11:12 AM
I havent heard anything from upper management, meaning the Hunts. Have they showed any displeasure in CP or Herm.

I know I'm on the short end of the stick on this, but I think Herm is good at drafting, he knows talent. The last few draft classes prove it. Just because he cant coach, doesnt mean he doesnt have a place in the Chiefs organization. However, I dont think he would take the GM job if CP were let go. I like Cowher also, but not sure where he stands on getting back into the mix.

From what I heard on sports radio with a Clark Hunt interview.....

Granted, I had to read between the lines on this but, he said this year HAD to be better than last. So far it hasnt been.Just to be better we have to win 5. After the Pats game I had hope to do that. Now Im really, honestly hoping we are not as good! Only because I want CP out! Id keep Herm a couple more years but CP has to go or get relocated in the management team with no say in personnel! Hes good at running the Cap so make a new department for him since he likes the titles!:lol:

slc chief
09-24-2008, 09:49 PM
From what I heard on sports radio with a Clark Hunt interview.....

Granted, I had to read between the lines on this but, he said this year HAD to be better than last. So far it hasnt been.Just to be better we have to win 5. After the Pats game I had hope to do that. Now Im really, honestly hoping we are not as good! Only because I want CP out! Id keep Herm a couple more years but CP has to go or get relocated in the management team with no say in personnel! Hes good at running the Cap so make a new department for him since he likes the titles!:lol:

just get rid of him why would you keep that cancer around he has had some good yearrs and some bad especially of late but he could never take us to the super bowl why would you be content with mediocre more than we already have

Bike
09-24-2008, 09:54 PM
We all know King Carl sucks a$$. Unfortunately, Clark is honoring his dads' wishes and letting CP finish out his contract - no matter what the cost.
Be your own man, Clark. Fire his a$$.

Big Daddy Tek
09-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Kelly was picked #14 as the 2nd QB behind Elway.

Manning was taken #1.

Those picks weren't exactly brain busters.
Heres some facts for ya Texas. Bill Polian selected Peyton Manning instead of Ryan Leaf and he selected Edgerrin James instead of Ricky Williams. Other notable 1st round selections are Tarik Glenn, Reggie Wayne and Dwight Freeney. We drafted Ryan sims before him. If thats not an "I told ya so," I dont know what is!

We could never get him anyway though.

texaschief
09-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Ok, apparently, drafting good players in the top ten is a talent only Polian has. Aside from a guy who looks good because his team was drafting in the top 10 for a decade, any other suggestions?

rbedgood
09-26-2008, 12:32 AM
Ok, apparently, drafting good players in the top ten is a talent only Polian has. Aside from a guy who looks good because his team was drafting in the top 10 for a decade, any other suggestions?

TX,

Gotta check yourself there...

Addai---1st round 30th pick
Dallas Clark---1st round 24th pick
Dwight Freeney---1st round 11th pick
Anthony Gonzalez---1st round 32nd pick
Marvin Harrison---1st round 19th pick
Marlin Jackson---1st round 29th pick
Robert Mathis---5th round 3rd pick
Bob Sanders---2nd round 12th pick
Tony Ugoh---2nd round 10th pick
Reggie Wayne---1st round 30th pick

That pretty much covers the cast of characters outside Manning.

jtandcrew
09-26-2008, 07:34 AM
just get rid of him why would you keep that cancer around he has had some good yearrs and some bad especially of late but he could never take us to the super bowl why would you be content with mediocre more than we already have

Only reason I would keep him is to work the business end of the team. He has proven he can work the CAP. Just keep him outta the draft room and keep him outta the negotiating. Whoever does the negotiating just needs to know how much he has to spend. There is a reason that we always have CAP room during the year. CP does know that but just cant evaluate talent.