PDA

View Full Version : Let's have fun (offense)

texaschief
09-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Ok, now the offense. Who do you want to stay and who do you want gone? Who should be traded, released, benched, inserted into the starting lineup etc...

What kind of play calling would you try with this young team? What needs to be done to rectify the rushing and passing attack?

garciakcfan
09-23-2008, 01:29 AM
Texas this is a lot of thinking at 1:30 in the morning, lol

texaschief
09-23-2008, 01:34 AM
these posts will be for a few days. I'll make sure to bump them. I'm really curious to know what everyone knows that the franchise doesn't and most importantly, i don't. :lol:

After all these posts have been up for a while, I'm going to do an analysis and post what the consensus on this board should be for this team.

greg3564
09-23-2008, 02:12 AM
Ok, now the offense. Who do you want to stay and who do you want gone? Who should be traded, released, benched, inserted into the starting lineup etc...

What kind of play calling would you try with this young team? What needs to be done to rectify the rushing and passing attack?

Stay- Jamal Charles(He is the future RB), Kolby Smith, DBowe, Tony Gonzales, Gone- Huard(even as back up he's getting hurt too), Larry Johnson(reason is he'll be at or beyond peak when the team is a contender), CB, MLB, FS, SS. Next draft should be a QB in 1st round. 2nd round should be a WR. 3rd should be MLB. 4th should be a CB. 5th should be SS. Get back to system similar to the Vermeil playcalling. Open it up. When you open it a lot, you free up your RB on a fake. We can't continue the playcalling as it is right now. It's not winning anything. Try a drastic approach and really go for the unexpected.

texaschief
09-23-2008, 02:26 AM
Stay- Jamal Charles(He is the future RB), Kolby Smith, DBowe, Tony Gonzales, Gone- Huard(even as back up he's getting hurt too), Larry Johnson(reason is he'll be at or beyond peak when the team is a contender), CB, MLB, FS, SS. Next draft should be a QB in 1st round. 2nd round should be a WR. 3rd should be MLB. 4th should be a CB. 5th should be SS. Get back to system similar to the Vermeil playcalling. Open it up. When you open it a lot, you free up your RB on a fake. We can't continue the playcalling as it is right now. It's not winning anything. Try a drastic approach and really go for the unexpected.

That is exactly why we should've traded him before last season. Another EPIC fail by CP. If we hadn't made the playoffs in 06, i think he would've been traded.

You can't put Saunder's offensive system with this roster. They don't have the knowledge or experience to execute it correctly. Look how much trouble they're having with THIS system. That idea isn't even in the realm of being a feasible option.

The Chiefs are in the beginning stages of a "drastic approach." But it takes patience that seems to be in short supply.

garciakcfan
09-23-2008, 02:32 AM
That is exactly why we should've traded him before last season. Another EPIC fail by CP. If we hadn't made the playoffs in 06, i think he would've been traded.

You can't put Saunder's offensive system with this roster. They don't have the knowledge or experience to execute it correctly. Look how much trouble they're having with THIS system. That idea isn't even in the realm of being a feasible option.

The Chiefs are in the beginning stages of a "drastic approach." But it takes patience that seems to be in short supply.

whats the difference if they are learning this one or al saunders' playbook its still new and its still going to be japanese to them. I like the idea of opening it up a little bit, but not to the extreme of what it was. just enough to keep the defense honest

texaschief
09-23-2008, 02:52 AM
whats the difference if they are learning this one or al saunders' playbook its still new and its still going to be japanese to them. I like the idea of opening it up a little bit, but not to the extreme of what it was. just enough to keep the defense honest

From what i've read and heard from a friend of mine who works for the Chiefs, there is a HUGE difference. If you look at the teams who have tried to run that offense, they're loaded with great talent and experienced players. The language alone is almost a language all to itself and should be taught by RosettaStone.

Another big difference is the size of the playbook. If the Chiefs were to try and install that offense on this team, they MIGHT get thru the first couple pages and would have the same, if not worse offense than what we saw last season. At least this season, we're seeing rollouts.

We had the Saunders offense the first two years Herm got here. We just no longer had the personnel to execute. The offense we have now is just fine if we can get our QB back. The offense during the preseason, as i understood it, was a watered down version of what they had hoped to implement during the year. If you look at the play calling when Croyle was in during the preseason, it was better than what they're trying to do now. But all plans go to crap when the guy you build the offense around goes down with an injury.

What they SHOULD have done is built a contingency offense built around the skills of Thigpen just incase Croyle went down. Then they could try and implement THAT offense while they wait for Croyle to return. That might help the offense to move and give the team a chance to win NOW. But the problem with that is when Croyle comes back, the offense will take a step back again while they try to readjust to the Croyle package.

This is why a franchise QB is so important and why you cant just jump around from year to year with different starting QBs for 4 of the last 5 years.

McLovin
09-23-2008, 07:34 AM
As far as personel decisions I am not really sure, I know I would like to see Sackintosh gone and Huard, I would like to see Larry Johnson learn to block. Other then that what about opening up the offense to more of a college offense. If we are going to lose why not be risky, flips dump offs, trick plays... ie statue of liberty, LJ throwing the ball on occasion. Bring in Jared Zabransky, let him bring in the Boise State Offense passion that allowed them to beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. Heck if we are going to lose why not have fun while losing. And if we can get the players to have fun rather then moping we might win a few more just for that reason.

Canada
09-23-2008, 04:32 PM

We need some O Line in there somewhere too.

TRB05
09-23-2008, 06:45 PM
LT Albert- aint goin anywhere
LG Waters- if he can hang on a few more years keep him if not try to get something for him.
C Niswanger - seems OK but might be more suited for OG
RG Jones - filler until we can find someone better
RT MacIntosh - weak time for Herb Taylor or 1st rounder 2009

QB Croyle - not sold either way, give him the rest of the year but one more injury and thats it.
RB Johnson - clubhouse cancers on a young team can destroy them. BYE (but you have to get something for him)
FB Cox - seems OK so far, haven't seen him blow anything.
WR D. Bowe - aint going anywhere cure the dropsies
WR Darling - biding time until Franklin/Webb develop, but I think they need some more speed here.
TE T. Gonz- what can you say, wish he was 7-8 years younger.

greg3564
09-23-2008, 08:42 PM
We need some O Line in there somewhere too.

Agreed. The team has so many glaring holes, where do they start? I thought the defense would be better, but I'm not seeing it. I don't know, it just seems like so many things have fallen apart from even last season.

I think the team needs a shot in the arm and start a new chapter. It should start with Carl and Herm being fired. Bring in a whole new management team and head coach. Start a new era. What do we have to lose at this point? Hunt has to be close to pulling the trigger. Any smart business man would have fired such ineptitude by now. Maybe the federal government can bail the Chiefs out too.

TRB05
09-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Agreed. The team has so many glaring holes, where do they start? I thought the defense would be better, but I'm not seeing it. I don't know, it just seems like so many things have fallen apart from even last season.

I think the team needs a shot in the arm and start a new chapter. It should start with Carl and Herm being fired. Bring in a whole new management team and head coach. Start a new era. What do we have to lose at this point? Hunt has to be close to pulling the trigger. Any smart business man would have fired such ineptitude by now. Maybe the federal government can bail the Chiefs out too.

We could lose a few more seasons by starting completely over from scratch. At least give these guys a chance to do what they are trying to do. I know Carl has been here for 20 years, but you have to admit, what they are attempting is something he has never done before. For 19 years he (over)paid free agent veterans to come in an put a competitive team on the field to fill the stands. How many championships did that get them? At least they finally realized that the way to win Super Bowls is to build through the draft, instead of winning divisions and getting beat in the playoffs via free agency.

Coach
09-23-2008, 09:15 PM
LT Albert- aint goin anywhere
LG Waters- if he can hang on a few more years keep him if not try to get something for him.
C Niswanger - seems OK but might be more suited for OG
RG Jones - filler until we can find someone better
RT MacIntosh - weak time for Herb Taylor or 1st rounder 2009

QB Croyle - not sold either way, give him the rest of the year but one more injury and thats it.
RB Johnson - clubhouse cancers on a young team can destroy them. BYE (but you have to get something for him)
FB Cox - seems OK so far, haven't seen him blow anything.
WR D. Bowe - aint going anywhere cure the dropsies
WR Darling - biding time until Franklin/Webb develop, but I think they need some more speed here.
TE T. Gonz- what can you say, wish he was 7-8 years younger.

I'm pretty much in agreement with this assessment. With the exception of LJ. We wouldn't get anything in exchange for LJ. If we got a 2nd rd'er from someone, I'd take it gladly. I think the offense Gailey runs needs a straight ahead power run like LJ. So I'd rather keep him at the risk of his poor attitude.

I'd like to see WR Franklin get some serious playing time once the offense becomes able to do something more than 5-10yd routes. Croyle is not the answer, let him finish the season, but if he does not improve then he should be cut.

This team needs some o-line help. Although I'd like to see them address those needs in free agency with some proven players. I'd like to see them draft a QB and get some help in the secondary.

Maybe the federal government can bail the Chiefs out too.

Funny!:yahoo:

greg3564
09-23-2008, 09:24 PM
We could lose a few more seasons by starting completely over from scratch. At least give these guys a chance to do what they are trying to do. I know Carl has been here for 20 years, but you have to admit, what they are attempting is something he has never done before. For 19 years he (over)paid free agent veterans to come in an put a competitive team on the field to fill the stands. How many championships did that get them? At least they finally realized that the way to win Super Bowls is to build through the draft, instead of winning divisions and getting beat in the playoffs via free agency.

At what point do we cut our losses? 20 years of hot and cold teams. No consistency. Herm was Carl's pet project and that has failed miserably. Player talent has been a joke and that's a well known fact around the league. How many players has Carl brought in to implode throughout the years? This season is the epitome of Carl Peterson football.

I'm sorry, but the guy is doing all of us a disservice and should have been gone when Vermeil left. But the Herm and Carl show is ruining this team. People love to blame Vermeil, as if somehow Carl were not involved back then. Let's look at some of the treats Carl has given us more recently...bitter Larry Johnson and one of the best defensive players, Jared Allen, was driven out of town. He overinvested in one player and screwed another.

TRB05
09-24-2008, 07:19 AM
At what point do we cut our losses? 20 years of hot and cold teams. No consistency. Herm was Carl's pet project and that has failed miserably. Player talent has been a joke and that's a well known fact around the league. How many players has Carl brought in to implode throughout the years? This season is the epitome of Carl Peterson football.

I'm sorry, but the guy is doing all of us a disservice and should have been gone when Vermeil left. But the Herm and Carl show is ruining this team. People love to blame Vermeil, as if somehow Carl were not involved back then. Let's look at some of the treats Carl has given us more recently...bitter Larry Johnson and one of the best defensive players, Jared Allen, was driven out of town. He overinvested in one player and screwed another.

We cut our losses when his contract is up after next season.

As for no consistency, were you around in the 90's? The Chiefs were in the playoffs all the time. I know the last few years have been bad, but they still made the playoffs in 2003 and 2006. I'm not a Peterson fan, but I don't think you can just throw his first 10 years out and concentrate on the last 10.

I'm pretty sure at this point that he is merely finishing out his contract anyway.

texaschief
09-25-2008, 03:13 PM
come on people. we all know the deficiencies of this team... how do we solve them? you all talk about the management as if they're idiots, but i don't see any suggestions on how to fix the offensive problems.

I want name, positions, contracts, trades, signings, etc...

let's go... i know y'all know better than management does... LETS GO PEOPLE!!

TRB05
09-25-2008, 10:36 PM
What about Alex Smith from San Fran. I don't know a whole lot about him, and I have not completely given up on Croyle, but he was a #1 overall pick (pretty sure), so he must have the tools. Maybe the right QB coach could mold him? Just a thought I had actually before training camp started when it was clear him and Mike Nolan would never get along.

Canada
09-25-2008, 10:38 PM
What about Alex Smith from San Fran. I don't know a whole lot about him, and I have not completely given up on Croyle, but he was a #1 overall pick (pretty sure), so he must have the tools. Maybe the right QB coach could mold him? Just a thought I had actually before training camp started when it was clear him and Mike Nolan would never get along.

I think he is about as fragile as Croyle.

greg3564
09-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Colt McCoy. Univ of Texas. Guy has put on weight and is a two dimensional QB. Leading rusher for Texas too. Problem is it sounds like he will return for his senior year, which as a Texas fan, I don't necessarily have a problem with. :D

YouTube - Colt McCoy 8 yd TD run

YouTube - Colt McCoy Tricky Quick TD

rbedgood
09-26-2008, 03:44 AM

Please...Please...Please take him!! He was a product of the Urban Meyer system. Translates to the NFL about as well as a Steve Spurrier offense.

TRB05
09-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Like I said I don't know much about him, he has been hurt alot though. Just a thought.

jtandcrew
09-26-2008, 07:38 AM
TG has said he wouldnt be opposed to being on a contender team in order to win a super bowl although he wishes he could do it with the Chiefs. The Chiefs are more than a couple years away from contending. Id say go ahead and trade TG and LJ (if we could find someone to take LJ) We could atleast pick up some high draft picks or maybe get a younger position player.

Canada
09-26-2008, 07:56 AM
I for one will be pissed if they trade away TG. He is our #1 receiving threat. Tony has shown this franchise much loyalty that I think it would be a totally classless move to trade him (unless he requested it) We need to build around him and make a run while he is still here. Cottam can take a couple of years to learn under him and Tony can retire a Chief. The way it should be.

tornadospotter
09-26-2008, 08:58 AM
I for one will be pissed if they trade away TG. He is our #1 receiving threat. Tony has shown this franchise much loyalty that I think it would be a totally classless move to trade him (unless he requested it) We need to build around him and make a run while he is still here. Cottam can take a couple of years to learn under him and Tony can retire a Chief. The way it should be.
I agree!:11: :sign0098:

jtandcrew
09-27-2008, 05:51 AM

I agree that Tony should retire as a Chief! Im just saying what I heard on the radio, and if its true? Then, why not try to get something for him? Since he said it, and knowing how the KC media is? I wouldnt be so sure he hasnt talked to Carl about it.