PDA

View Full Version : Homers

Canada
09-23-2008, 04:15 PM
This term has always made wonder. Why is it that we call people who cheer and love their team Homers? Is it a Homer Simpson thing and we are all dumb? Is it because we think positively and all the other fans out there think we are stupid? Do you honestly think that we do not see that we are 0-3 with a good Broncos team coming to town on Sunday? I know you guys who complain about the team have every right to do it and I have no problem with it. I will argue about it with you, but in the end you are all entitled to your opinions, but I am getting pretty tired of hearing how high and mighty you get because you googled a couple of stats, ignored the good stats and then posted them into a Chiefs bashing article. I guess what it really comes down to is how you feel about the Chiefs. I know how I feel about the Chiefs and I am pretty sure that every single person that I meet every single day knows how I feel about them. For the rest of you who feel the need to call us positive fans Homers, I suggest you watch the name calling. I have a name for people who like a team when they are winning and then b!tch and complain about the team when they are losing. They are called BANDWAGON fans. So I look forward to hearing all your refreshing comments from you "diehard" fans when we are back on the winning track. :bananen_smilies046:

tornadospotter
09-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Well call me homer, call me cheerleader, call me anything you want, but I am a Chiefs fan that believes we have problems, but I will always be cheering for the team, always believing we can win! Yes I think cp time is done and has been for a while, still think herm may be able to build a team, but not sure if he can coach a team yet.

IlovetheChiefs
09-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Yep, I love the Chiefs with a never ending passion. I just went for a walk and proudly displayed my Chiefs hat, Chiefs shirt with a huge KC logo, and Chiefs shorts. (Also was wearing my Chiefs watch and carrying my Chiefs mini helmet).

People who are positive and passionate about the Chiefs regardless of their record are true Chiefs fans. Doesn't mean we think they can do no wrong. We criticize things, as does Mitch and Len. But I don't see how those who would claim to be true Chiefs fans would trash on them and say things like, "'I'm not watching any more games", "I hope we go 0-16", "A high school football team would beat us," "Len Dawson would do better than our QB's", "We suck".

GO CHIEFS! BEAT DENVER!

tammietailgator
09-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Well said all of you!!! :bananen_smilies046:

DrunkHillbilly
09-23-2008, 05:59 PM
This term has always made wonder. Why is it that we call people who cheer and love their team Homers? Is it a Homer Simpson thing and we are all dumb? Is it because we think positively and all the other fans out there think we are stupid? Do you honestly think that we do not see that we are 0-3 with a good Broncos team coming to town on Sunday? I know you guys who complain about the team have every right to do it and I have no problem with it. I will argue about it with you, but in the end you are all entitled to your opinions, but I am getting pretty tired of hearing how high and mighty you get because you googled a couple of stats, ignored the good stats and then posted them into a Chiefs bashing article. I guess what it really comes down to is how you feel about the Chiefs. I know how I feel about the Chiefs and I am pretty sure that every single person that I meet every single day knows how I feel about them. For the rest of you who feel the need to call us positive fans Homers, I suggest you watch the name calling. I have a name for people who like a team when they are winning and then b!tch and complain about the team when they are losing. They are called BANDWAGON fans. So I look forward to hearing all your refreshing comments from you "diehard" fans when we are back on the winning track. :bananen_smilies046:
I would have a hard time calling someone who has been a fan of the team for 30+ years but is sick of the BS that has been going on for the last 7 or 8 a "Bandwagon" fan. I find it rather humorous to see you say that you don't have a problem with people that bash the team. I believe many arguments have been in direct cause of that very thing. By the way, I am speaking of myself and if you saw my game room at the house, you would see that it is possible to cheer for your team while bashing them for the inept product they have fielded in the last several years!! Cheers!! NOT ARGUING, JUST LOOKING AT IT FROM A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE.

Canada
09-23-2008, 09:28 PM
I would have a hard time calling someone who has been a fan of the team for 30+ years but is sick of the BS that has been going on for the last 7 or 8 a "Bandwagon" fan. I find it rather humorous to see you say that you don't have a problem with people that bash the team. I believe many arguments have been in direct cause of that very thing. By the way, I am speaking of myself and if you saw my game room at the house, you would see that it is possible to cheer for your team while bashing them for the inept product they have fielded in the last several years!! Cheers!! NOT ARGUING, JUST LOOKING AT IT FROM A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE.

I have never said I don't have a problem with people bashing the team. If anything I have said the exact opposite. There is a huge difference between constructive criticism and bashing. I think people who bash the team will soon claim to be the biggest fans when we start winning again. If you want to complain about legitimate problems with the team then yby all means go ahead. I will be right there with you, but most of the bullsh!t that goes on here is people who are bashing the team start bashing other members who stand up for our team. That is where my problem lies. I forget who posted it, but I read a post today that said "...and you start calling people names. What are you 12 years old? :iamwithstupid: " That is just continuing the name calling and it makes certain members seem like idiots. Like I have been saying for years now. Constructive Criticism is fine by me. Winning or losing, nothing is perfect, but when I hear people come on here saying we suck, I expect to see another team logo in their avatar. I no longer question people fandom. I don't care how people behave at the end of the day, but I personally have never and will never bash the Chiefs because in my book that is the opposite of what a fan does. JMHO :bananen_smilies046:

garciakcfan
09-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Kudos To That Post!!!!!!!!!

tornadospotter
09-24-2008, 12:29 AM
DH I would like to come party with you! We all know that you are a big time Chief's Fan, and you know you like us homers to.

You know you do.

DrunkHillbilly
09-24-2008, 11:30 AM
I have never said I don't have a problem with people bashing the team. If anything I have said the exact opposite. There is a huge difference between constructive criticism and bashing. I think people who bash the team will soon claim to be the biggest fans when we start winning again. If you want to complain about legitimate problems with the team then yby all means go ahead. I will be right there with you, but most of the bullsh!t that goes on here is people who are bashing the team start bashing other members who stand up for our team. That is where my problem lies. I forget who posted it, but I read a post today that said "...and you start calling people names. What are you 12 years old? :iamwithstupid: " That is just continuing the name calling and it makes certain members seem like idiots. Like I have been saying for years now. Constructive Criticism is fine by me. Winning or losing, nothing is perfect, but when I hear people come on here saying we suck, I expect to see another team logo in their avatar. I no longer question people fandom. I don't care how people behave at the end of the day, but I personally have never and will never bash the Chiefs because in my book that is the opposite of what a fan does. JMHO :bananen_smilies046:
I guess I considered bashing and complaining the same thing. You never said anything in your original post about constructive critisism. I don't have ANY problem saying the team sucks when in fact it's the TRUTH!!! Doesn't mean I don't want them to win or that I like them any less. It's just a fact!! There can only be so much constructive critisism for so long. How many times can a person say the same thing over and over and over? IMO, what a fan does is cheers for their team with out waivering while at the same time, saying what is right about that team. My definition of a homer is someone who is unrealistic and will not voice the truth about their team. A person who never see's anything wrong with their team. To me, stroking a team or a person for that matter when they are clearly doing something wrong is not helping, in fact, it is hurting.

As I said before, I have been called a bandwagon fan before because I voice an opinion that was unfavorable to the so called "homers". I have traveled to atleast one Chiefs game a year in different parts of the country for over 20 years now! So, my point is that everyone who has voiced disgust in the way this franchise is being run as well as the way they are playing are not bandwagon fans.:11: :bananen_smilies046:

DrunkHillbilly
09-24-2008, 11:32 AM
DH I would like to come party with you! We all know that you are a big time Chief's Fan, and you know you like us homers to.

You know you do.
I'm ready when you are!!!! I like all Chiefs fans. I just don't like when they get mad because I tell the truth about what is going on with the team.:bananen_smilies046:

Canada
09-24-2008, 12:41 PM
I guess I considered bashing and complaining the same thing. You never said anything in your original post about constructive critisism. I don't have ANY problem saying the team sucks when in fact it's the TRUTH!!! Doesn't mean I don't want them to win or that I like them any less. It's just a fact!! There can only be so much constructive critisism for so long. How many times can a person say the same thing over and over and over? IMO, what a fan does is cheers for their team with out waivering while at the same time, saying what is right about that team. My definition of a homer is someone who is unrealistic and will not voice the truth about their team. A person who never see's anything wrong with their team. To me, stroking a team or a person for that matter when they are clearly doing something wrong is not helping, in fact, it is hurting.

As I said before, I have been called a bandwagon fan before because I voice an opinion that was unfavorable to the so called "homers". I have traveled to atleast one Chiefs game a year in different parts of the country for over 20 years now! So, my point is that everyone who has voiced disgust in the way this franchise is being run as well as the way they are playing are not bandwagon fans.:11: :bananen_smilies046:

Like I said, I don't question anyones fandom. You are who you are. I have been saying there is a difference between bashing and constructive criticism since the day I got on these boards. I am not calling the ones who are upset about the team bandwagon fans. I am referring to the "fans" who come on here and talk about how we suck but never offer any type of insight as to why we may suck or any constructive way of improving. That is just *****ing for the sake of *****ing. But they will be the biggest Chiefs fans when we are winning. I know who the real fans are around here and some of them are not happy with how things are run right now and voice their opinion about it and I have no problem. My problem is with the idiots who do nothing but pick apart the team and never give them credit when credit is due. We may not be the best right now, but we are not the worst either. Every once in a while something goes right and no one ever spends more that 2 or 3 posts saying anything about it. All I head after Week 1 was how Bowe could not hold onto the ball, but then in Week 2 he made 2 amazing catches and I barely heard anyone say a word about it. I guess a real fan voices their disgust, I just get tired of reading 150 posts a day about the disgust felt for the Chiefs.

nigeriannightmare
09-24-2008, 06:27 PM
All I head after Week 1 was how Bowe could not hold onto the ball, but then in Week 2 he made 2 amazing catches and I barely heard anyone say a word about it. I guess a real fan voices their disgust, I just get tired of reading 150 posts a day about the disgust felt for the Chiefs.

Some people don't know how to voice their frustrations without being negative, however, you can't question anyone's fandom because of the way they complain about the chiefs situation at this point. It's not good. I haven't said many things that are positive but I spend an awful lot of money with this franchise, jerseys, hats, flags, games, I try to make at least 1 road trip a year, 3 or 4 home games a year,(share season tix) does that make me a band wagon fan because I don't offer positive points. I don't like Herm, have never liked Herm as a coach and probably never will. But it's hard to get excited about a couple of amazing catches when you are getting beat down in your home opener against a division rival.

Canada
09-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Maybe people will hear me if I use really big letters. I DO NOT QUESTION ANYONES FANDOM!!! I have not once in any of these posts questioned anyones fandom. If you want to bash the chiefs then go the **** ahead. I really don't give a sh!t anymore. It still amazes me how much you guys want to defend your right to bash your team. I guess no one grasps the concept of constructive criticism so I guess we all might as well start bashing the team we love. While I am at it, I am gonna tell my kids how stupid they really are when they struggle in school. And when my wife has some difficulty at work I am gonna tell how sh!tty a job she is really doing. I guess my homeristic attitude has made me less of a fan who really knows nothing about the Chiefs. Maybe I don't buy as many T shirts and travel to as many games so what would I know about being a fan. I don';t bash them enough or maybe I don;t ignore enough of the good things. I am not sure, but feel free to continue bashing the team you love and make sure you jump all over anyone who stands up for them!! :sign0098:

Sick Dog
09-24-2008, 08:03 PM
You tell them buddy!

I will buy you a shirt if you want:sign0098:

Canada
09-24-2008, 08:04 PM
You tell them buddy!

I will buy you a shirt if you want:sign0098:

:lol: thanks man!! :bananen_smilies046:

nigeriannightmare
09-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Canada,
As much as i love the Chiefs, I learn to leave it at the door, just like when I have a sh*tty day at work. I am home to be with the family and support them. If you are comparing bashing the chiefs, to how I act around my family, you don't know me dude I don't treat anyone like that. This is a place I get to vent, I refuse to let you call us "bandwagon' fans because we are frustrated with the team right now. You, obviously, are much cooler than I am. Unlike you, I don't care if people bash the chiefs, this is where they can do it. get over yourself bro, life can't be that bad if all we have to complain about is the chiefs and I'll be dam*ed if you are going to call people out, because we don't see things the way you do.

Canada
09-24-2008, 10:14 PM
I give up. Bash away. you have nothing constructive to say then post whatever useless sh!t you want to post all day.

Canada
09-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Canada,
As much as i love the Chiefs, I learn to leave it at the door, just like when I have a sh*tty day at work. I am home to be with the family and support them. If you are comparing bashing the chiefs, to how I act around my family, you don't know me dude I don't treat anyone like that. This is a place I get to vent, I refuse to let you call us "bandwagon' fans because we are frustrated with the team right now. You, obviously, are much cooler than I am. Unlike you, I don't care if people bash the chiefs, this is where they can do it. get over yourself bro, life can't be that bad if all we have to complain about is the chiefs and I'll be dam*ed if you are going to call people out, because we don't see things the way you do.

The bandwagon fans are the ones who bash, real fans offer constructive criticism. I don't have a problem with disagreeing. If you are gonna post sh!t about who is cooler and act like a ****in' 12 year old then go ahead. You got a problem with me calling out bandwagon fans then tough sh!t. If you think I am calling you a bandwagon fan (which I am not) then you need to think about why that is. This thread was directed at people who bash for no apparent reason other than bashing. You want to support that then go ahead, but don't be surprised when people call you a bandwagon fan.

Canada
09-24-2008, 11:22 PM
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashing#column-one), search (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashing#searchInput)
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wiktionary-logo-en.png)

Look up -bashing (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-bashing) in Wiktionary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary), the free dictionary.

Bashing may refer to one of the following:

The pejorative bashing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashing_(pejorative)) implies excessive or unwarranted criticism on a subject, group or individual.
Constructive criticism, or constructive analysis, is a compassionate attitude towards the person qualified for criticism. Having higher experience, gifts, respect, knowledge in specific field and being able to verbally convince at the same time, this person is intending to uplift the other person materially, morally, emotionally or spiritually. For high probability in succeeding compassionate criticism, the critic has to be in some kind of healthy personal relationship with the other one, which is normally a parent to child, friend to friend, teacher to student, spouse to spouse or any kind of recognized authority in specific field. Hence the word constructive is used so that something is created or visible outcome generated rather than the opposite. Participatory learning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning) in pedagogy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedagogy) is based on these principles of constructive criticism, focusing on positive examples to be emulated over precepts to be followed.
There can be tension between friendly support and useful criticism. A critic might usefully help an individual artist to recognize what is poor or slapdash in their body of work, but the critic may appear harsh and judgmental in the process. Useful criticism is a practical part of constructive criticism.

Can you tell the difference now?

Three7s
09-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Most people here already know that I'm about as critical as anyone on the Chiefs, mostly because it sickens me to see them playing like they are. I'm kind of spoiled, though, I grew up in the 90s and the Chiefs were always at the top.

As for the homer thing, it's more just a term used to describe people who cheer for their team no matter what, which is fine with me. You can call me a homer I guess, since I cheer no matter how bad the team looks. I know one day I'll watch them play and they'll grow before my eyes and become unbeatable. We just need to get Herm and CP out of here first! Remember, when you're critical on something you love, it means you truly love that something!:bananen_smilies046:

Canada
09-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Most people here already know that I'm about as critical as anyone on the Chiefs, mostly because it sickens me to see them playing like they are. I'm kind of spoiled, though, I grew up in the 90s and the Chiefs were always at the top.

As for the homer thing, it's more just a term used to describe people who cheer for their team no matter what, which is fine with me. You can call me a homer I guess, since I cheer no matter how bad the team looks. I know one day I'll watch them play and they'll grow before my eyes and become unbeatable. We just need to get Herm and CP out of here first! Remember, when you're critical on something you love, it means you truly love that something!:bananen_smilies046:

Well said, that is not where my problem lies. My problem is with the mindless bashing which seems to me more like abuse than love. But I guess as some have so passionately argued with me, it is their right to bash so bash away!! :bananen_smilies046:

chiefrunningbull
09-25-2008, 10:06 AM
that's what makes this game so interesting. opinions no one wants to respect or believe in one's concept. the solution to all this mess is :::::: LET"S ALL PPRAY IN UNISOM TO THE FOOTBALL GODS TO COME AND BLESS THE KANSAS CITY CHIEF ENTIRE FOOTBALL ORGANIZATION, THE OWNERS,PLAYERS ,COACHES, AND MOST OF ALL THE OPINATED #1 DIE HARD FANS. PRAYER STARTS TODAY AT 12:00 NOON. signed chief running bull

DrunkHillbilly
09-25-2008, 10:53 AM
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashing#column-one), search (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashing#searchInput)

Look up -bashing (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-bashing) in Wiktionary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary), the free dictionary.

Bashing may refer to one of the following:

The pejorative bashing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashing_(pejorative)) implies excessive or unwarranted criticism on a subject, group or individual.Constructive criticism, or constructive analysis, is a compassionate attitude towards the person qualified for criticism. Having higher experience, gifts, respect, knowledge in specific field and being able to verbally convince at the same time, this person is intending to uplift the other person materially, morally, emotionally or spiritually. For high probability in succeeding compassionate criticism, the critic has to be in some kind of healthy personal relationship with the other one, which is normally a parent to child, friend to friend, teacher to student, spouse to spouse or any kind of recognized authority in specific field. Hence the word constructive is used so that something is created or visible outcome generated rather than the opposite. Participatory learning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning) in pedagogy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedagogy) is based on these principles of constructive criticism, focusing on positive examples to be emulated over precepts to be followed.
There can be tension between friendly support and useful criticism. A critic might usefully help an individual artist to recognize what is poor or slapdash in their body of work, but the critic may appear harsh and judgmental in the process. Useful criticism is a practical part of constructive criticism.

Can you tell the difference now?
Hmmmmmm.....excessive or UNWARRANTED critisism.

I believe it is ALL WARRANTED!!!!!!

The organization needs to take notice of what the Lions just did.

Canada
09-25-2008, 11:40 AM
EXCESSIVE...

and yes they do need to take notice.

DrunkHillbilly
09-25-2008, 12:03 PM
EXCESSIVE...

and yes they do need to take notice.
I guess this term is subjective to which side of the fence you are on. I'm sure there are some out there that don't think it's excessive enough being they continue to field the same type of team year after year for the last several years.

Like I said, I think most that call theirselves Chief Fans, still cheer every game for the team they love but a lot of us have boiled over at the fact that the organization (owner) is still letting a guy that has been unproductive for years now still run the team!!! Some say he doesn't draft the players or bring in FA's. BS!!!!!! He is as big a part of the process as the headcoach and ALWAYS has been!!! It's his rule around that place. So, to those that say he doesn't, well he brought in a head caoch that he has had a 20 year relationship with that had no success with the team he was fired from and knew that they would work together as a two man team to bring in players. Tell me again how CP isn't running EVERY aspect of what goes on behind the scenes of this football team????!!!!!

I don't know if anyone thinks this is constructive or excessive but it is a fact!!!! Sometimes the facts hurt.....almost as much as watching my team take the field on Sundays!!!!:mob:

Chiefs fan

nigeriannightmare
09-25-2008, 03:14 PM
team. I guess no one grasps the concept of constructive criticism so I guess we all might as well start bashing the team we love. While I am at it, I am gonna tell my kids how stupid they really are when they struggle in school. And when my wife has some difficulty at work I am gonna tell how sh!tty a job she is really doing. I guess my homeristic attitude has made me less of a fan who really knows nothing about the Chiefs.

This is what threw me over the edge. How can you can compare bashing the chiefs, to bashing your family one doesn't compare to the other, not even close. It's apples and hand grenades. If you aren't questioning there fandom, why throw out the term 'bandwagon fan', we are 0-3, on a 12 game losing streak, I thought the purpose of a 'band wagon' fan is to switch loyalties because the other team is on a winning streak. You might say I am a bandwagon fan, because I wanted to see the Patriots go 19-0 last year, I want to see Donovan McNabb win a superbowl, so I cheer for the Eagles. Those ideas make me a bandwagon fan, not the fact that I don't have superior knowledge of the subject to give constructive crticism, and hope. I look to you guys, those who know more about the sport than I do, for that.

Canada
09-25-2008, 05:39 PM
My point in saying that was this. When you love something (like I do my family and the Chiefs) I do not see how it is helpful to continually bash them when they are struggling with someone. I prefer to offer constructive criticism over mindless bashing. Obviously my family is much more important to me than the Chiefs and I can have a direct impact on their situation. The reason I threw out the term bandwagon was in response to someone who posted that "Homers" cheer unrealistically about their team and don't recognize the real problems. I guess most of the Homers on here are too nice to say anything back for fear of a three page (and counting) thread like this one. All I have said is that i think it is bullsh!t when people mindlessly bash the Chiefs and I have several Chiefs fans argue quite passionately with me that they should be able to. So bash away, but I will always be in your ear telling you that I think it is bullsh!t to bash my favorite team.

nigeriannightmare
09-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Maybe I read a little to much into the term Bandwagon Fan that you originally posted. I think of a different meaning when it comes to Bandwagon. To me a Bandwagon fan is one that jumps from team to team or whomever is popular at that given time. I do not believe 'bashing' your team, (I really only bash Herm, I simply don't like him as a head coach) that's on a 12 game losing streak makes you a bandwagon fan. That's all. Not everyone views things the same, so for you to call someone's thoughts bullsh*t, i think is bullsh*t. That's how they feel and they are voicing their opinions just like you voice yours. Next time you are at Arrowhead I'd love to buy you a couple of beers,drink some rumpy, and we can debate Chiefs topics all morning long.