PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gonzalez Trade?

kcchiefs4life
09-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Could TE Gonzalez play for another team?

The topic came up Tuesday between an NFL Network reporter and a Chiefs official: Would Kansas City tight end Tony Gonzalez be willing to finish his career in another city, with another team, that had a realistic chance of winning the Super Bowl?
Reporter thought yes, Chiefs official thought no.
Then, the question was posed to Gonzalez on Wednesday and he set the record straight. While it might not be the ideal scenario, he could see himself going to Chiefs management and requesting a trade to a Super-Bowl contender.
“Yeah. I definitely could, but I love being a Chief,” Gonzalez said Wednesday. “But if it was something where it was going to take three or four years or whatever before they get this thing right, I think it would be in their best interest to maybe see what they can get and send me off.
“But I love being a Chief and I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else at this point. At the end of this season, hopefully I don’t have to ask that. Hopefully we get this thing turned around. I’ve got a family now. I came here when I just turned 21, so this is home. That’s where I’m at right now with that.”
It makes sense. A rebuilding Chiefs team gets a first-day draft pick in return for a tight end that is only going to play another couple of seasons. Gonzalez knows what a delicate subject it is. He handled his answer just the right way.
But know this: The losing has to be driving him mad. He hasn’t won a playoff game as a member of the Chiefs. Nor has linebacker Donnie Edwards, who could be another candidate Kansas City could consider trading. If Kansas City can get fair value for Gonzalez and/or Edwards, they are deals the Chiefs should think long and hard about.

This sucks to read, but i guess you can't blame him.

Bike
09-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Could TE Gonzalez play for another team?

The topic came up Tuesday between an NFL Network reporter and a Chiefs official: Would Kansas City tight end Tony Gonzalez be willing to finish his career in another city, with another team, that had a realistic chance of winning the Super Bowl?
Reporter thought yes, Chiefs official thought no.
Then, the question was posed to Gonzalez on Wednesday and he set the record straight. While it might not be the ideal scenario, he could see himself going to Chiefs management and requesting a trade to a Super-Bowl contender.
“Yeah. I definitely could, but I love being a Chief,” Gonzalez said Wednesday. “But if it was something where it was going to take three or four years or whatever before they get this thing right, I think it would be in their best interest to maybe see what they can get and send me off.
“But I love being a Chief and I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else at this point. At the end of this season, hopefully I don’t have to ask that. Hopefully we get this thing turned around. I’ve got a family now. I came here when I just turned 21, so this is home. That’s where I’m at right now with that.”
It makes sense. A rebuilding Chiefs team gets a first-day draft pick in return for a tight end that is only going to play another couple of seasons. Gonzalez knows what a delicate subject it is. He handled his answer just the right way.
But know this: The losing has to be driving him mad. He hasn’t won a playoff game as a member of the Chiefs. Nor has linebacker Donnie Edwards, who could be another candidate Kansas City could consider trading. If Kansas City can get fair value for Gonzalez and/or Edwards, they are deals the Chiefs should think long and hard about.

This sucks to read, but i guess you can't blame him.
Losing drives everyone mad. Hell, everybody wants to play for a contender. Everybody wants to go to the superbowl. If TG wanted to take the easy way out, he could have asked to be traded last off season after the 4-12 debackle we all endured. But he didn't. TG is a class act. Think of how much more rewarding it would be for TG if he is still part of this team when we do get to the superbowl in the next 3 years.
TG is a true Chiefs fan - sticking it through good times and bad. Unlike some fans I see on this forum.
I would be surprised to see TG go anywhere in pursuit of his ring. He'll get it right here!!

slc chief
09-24-2008, 09:39 PM
tony gonzalez is a class act in my eyes and he does deserve a superbowl ring i do not want to see him leave and i highly dought he will

Bike
09-24-2008, 09:50 PM
tony gonzalez is a class act in my eyes and he does deserve a superbowl ring i do not want to see him leave and i highly dought he will
Agreed. I don't see TG going to a 'pre-built' superbowl contender to get his ring. Clark Hunt will wake up, do whats right, and make sure he gets it right here.

tammietailgator
09-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Losing drives everyone mad. Hell, everybody wants to play for a contender. Everybody wants to go to the superbowl. If TG wanted to take the easy way out, he could have asked to be traded last off season after the 4-12 debackle we all endured. But he didn't. TG is a class act. Think of how much more rewarding it would be for TG if he is still part of this team when we do get to the superbowl in the next 3 years.
TG is a true Chiefs fan - sticking it through good times and bad. Unlike some fans I see on this forum.
I would be surprised to see TG go anywhere in pursuit of his ring. He'll get it right here!!

I agree! I think he also knows that as a hard working veteran on the team.... he needs to take the mentoring serious. He has a lot to teach these young guys that are no doubt a little ****y and a little star struck at this point.

Seek
09-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Tony has been saying that for the last couple years. He hasn't asked for a trade but always states that it the Chiefs can get him something, he wouldn't mind playing for a superbowl team. Notice he doesn't just say trade me to anyone. It has to be a superbowl team.

TG will probably end up retiring after next season.

texaschief
09-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Should've traded him before the last draft. EVERY TIME I mention trading a player on this board, i get blasted.

We had LOOOOOONNGG discussions about TG's worth and why or why not he should go and i just got drilled repeatedly. Same thing happened in the spring on '07 when i suggested we trade LJ. I knew last season was going to be awful and that we should be trading away the pieces of our team with the most value. That should've started with LJ. It didn't.

It happened again when i suggested that we trade J. Allen. I got raked over the coals on that suggestion as well.

Here's the thing. Larry should've been gone before the 2007 draft and we could've picked up another 1st rounder at the very least. He had a small contract and was coming off a stellar year behind an aging line that was going to need to be replaced.

BOTH Allen AND Gonzo should've been traded before the 2008 draft. TG wouldn't have brought back as much as Allen did, but at least we could've landed another 2nd round pick or something. Right now, I'm glad he's still on this team because WE SHOULD trade him now. He needs to be on a contender. We can resign him later and he can retire here, but he needs the best shot the Chiefs can give him to get a ring. Plus, the Chiefs need more picks in 2009. Preferably to package up to grab a QB.

The Chiefs have Cottam. We'll be fine at TE. He needs to develop anyway.

Yeah, TG is a great influence blah blah blah, but the Chiefs need picks and talent more than they need influence right now. We can sign some stellar FAs in 2009 or 2010 if this team ends up needing some role models. Right now, YOUNG TALENT needs to be the #1 issue on the minds of the Chiefs.

Get what you can for LJ and TG and call it done.

Bike
09-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Should've traded him before the last draft. EVERY TIME I mention trading a player on this board, i get blasted.

We had LOOOOOONNGG discussions about TG's worth and why or why not he should go and i just got drilled repeatedly. Same thing happened in the spring on '07 when i suggested we trade LJ. I knew last season was going to be awful and that we should be trading away the pieces of our team with the most value. That should've started with LJ. It didn't.

It happened again when i suggested that we trade J. Allen. I got raked over the coals on that suggestion as well.

Here's the thing. Larry should've been gone before the 2007 draft and we could've picked up another 1st rounder at the very least. He had a small contract and was coming off a stellar year behind an aging line that was going to need to be replaced.

BOTH Allen AND Gonzo should've been traded before the 2008 draft. TG wouldn't have brought back as much as Allen did, but at least we could've landed another 2nd round pick or something. Right now, I'm glad he's still on this team because WE SHOULD trade him now. He needs to be on a contender. We can resign him later and he can retire here, but he needs the best shot the Chiefs can give him to get a ring. Plus, the Chiefs need more picks in 2009. Preferably to package up to grab a QB.

Yeah, TG is a great influence blah blah blah, but the Chiefs need picks and talent more than they need influence right now. We can sign some stellar FAs in 2009 or 2010 if this team ends up needing some role models. Right now, YOUNG TALENT needs to be the #1 issue on the minds of the Chiefs.

You can't buy character, loyalty, and class. Plus TG is a parennial pro-bowler. I'm glad he's here and hope he stays...

Coach
09-25-2008, 09:48 PM
At best, you would get a 2nd rd'er out of a trade for Tony. More likely scenario would be a 3rd or 4th rounder. So best case scenario, we would be hoping that a 2nd rounder panned out for us. With the track record of the Chiefs in the 2nd round, I don't like our chances.

The potential value in this kind of deal would be packaging that 2nd rd'er with our 1st rd'er to move up to the top of the draft to get the QB that we want/need.

slc chief
09-25-2008, 09:51 PM
no matter what if he stays or goes he is a chief for life and i hope cottam is learning as much as he can from this world class athlete

AkChief49
09-25-2008, 10:19 PM

I do not like to think about it, but it is the part of the business that sucks. you're probably right, he is worth more in trade now. Plus the Chiefs owe it to him..no one wants to trade their stars, especially a Gonzo, minimum 2nd rounder though

McLovin
09-25-2008, 10:51 PM
At best, you would get a 2nd rd'er out of a trade for Tony. More likely scenario would be a 3rd or 4th rounder. So best case scenario, we would be hoping that a 2nd rounder panned out for us. With the track record of the Chiefs in the 2nd round, I don't like our chances.

The potential value in this kind of deal would be packaging that 2nd rd'er with our 1st rd'er to move up to the top of the draft to get the QB that we want/need.
Is there a rumor that we may have room to move up. Hard to move up from #1 overall.

Chiefster
09-25-2008, 10:58 PM

Agreed, I would love to see Tony retire a Chief, but wouldn't blame the guy right now, with the Chiefs current management, if he packed up Mrs. Tony and blazed.

greg3564
09-25-2008, 11:02 PM
I don't think Tony is going anywhere. He could have left by now and picked any team he wanted to play for. Tony has an allegiance to the Chiefs almost to a fault. I think he's going to retire as a Chiefs franchise player and is looking forward to that red #88 jersey hanging in the Hall of Fame. The guy is one of a few true loyal team players left in this selfish league.

garciakcfan
09-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Greg, I finally agree with something you said.....

rbedgood
09-25-2008, 11:38 PM

Which assumes you don't already have that 1st pick. If you do, then the value is to package that 2nd rounder and your 2nd rounder for a late 1st round pick.

greg3564
09-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Greg, I finally agree with something you said.....

People in hell must be freezing right about now. :bananen_smilies046:

texaschief
09-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Is there a rumor that we may have room to move up. Hard to move up from #1 overall.

Which assumes you don't already have that 1st pick. If you do, then the value is to package that 2nd rounder and your 2nd rounder for a late 1st round pick.

Yeah, i was thinking about moving up from the 3rd round pick, back into the first round. That would give us three picks in the first 33-36.

kcchiefs4life
09-26-2008, 10:14 AM
When I read the article, I was really shocked. Then I started to think about it, you can't blame TG. I think he will ask to be traded at the end of the season. He has expressed how much he wants a superbowl ring, and people are always asking him how it feels compared to Shannon Sharpe(who I HATE by the way). We all know nothing is going to happen with our young team this year....I HOPE something does next year, but Gonzo only has 3 years left in the league, he has expressed that he is done after that.
I would like him to stay...but I really don't see him sticking around....especially if Herm and Carl stay around.....Herm has no idea what a winning team is and Carl is too into our stadium.

Seek
09-26-2008, 10:31 AM
When I read the article, I was really shocked. Then I started to think about it, you can't blame TG. I think he will ask to be traded at the end of the season. He has expressed how much he wants a superbowl ring, and people are always asking him how it feels compared to Shannon Sharpe(who I HATE by the way). We all know nothing is going to happen with our young team this year....I HOPE something does next year, but Gonzo only has 3 years left in the league, he has expressed that he is done after that.
I would like him to stay...but I really don't see him sticking around....especially if Herm and Carl stay around.....Herm has no idea what a winning team is and Carl is too into our stadium.

The last time I heard TG talking about his retirement he said two years. This being the first.

I think Tony is a class act and I don't see him asking for a trade. If he does, we may never know about it, unless it happens. He is not the type of person to come out and publicly throw anyone under the bus.

tornadospotter
09-26-2008, 10:34 AM
People in hell must be freezing right about now. :bananen_smilies046:
It is starting to get cold!:funnypost:

Pro_Angler
09-26-2008, 01:59 PM
I say trade him for sure if he brings a 1st rd pic or a 2 and a 3 or 4

m0ef0e
09-26-2008, 02:19 PM
I'll just keep bawling in the corner. I don't know what to say about all this.

Canada
09-26-2008, 03:55 PM
NO Trade for Tony!!

Bike
09-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Again, TG aint going anywhere.

DMN
09-26-2008, 05:13 PM
I honestly dont know if any sort of draft pick is worth TG at this point. Now LJ is a different story. But TG is worth so much more than just on the field stats. He is an icon and a team leader that all these rookies can look up too through a hard time that we haven't seen the likes of since 1980. I may sound crazy... but for these kids to go out and get borderline embarrassed every week, to have someone like TG there to look up too and help keep a positive attitude is priceless.

It is easy to get on a forum and talk about how we know just the right moves to make to better this team. I definitely do not. But i do know that a player like him does not come around too often. If I am the coach... TG is more important than a draft pick.

greg3564
09-26-2008, 05:56 PM
I may sound crazy... but for these kids to go out and get borderline embarrassed every week, to have someone like TG there to look up too and help keep a positive attitude is priceless.

But i do know that a player like him does not come around too often. If I am the coach... TG is more important than a draft pick.

The team won't part ways with Tony without his permission. They learned that the hard way when they hosed Donnie Edwards and let him go to SD, another team leader who has off the field value as well as on the field.

But then again, Jared Allen had a way to fire up the defense and Carl played hard ball and drove him out of town.

jtandcrew
09-27-2008, 06:21 AM
I dont like it, but I foresee (looking in my crystal ball) that Tony will be traded next year! The Chiefs will get either a 2nd and a 4th or a 3rd and a 5th. Which both I think is very low for him. I would like atleast a 2nd and 3rd if not a 1st and 4th. We are talking about a future hall of famer!

garciakcfan
09-29-2008, 10:35 AM
just found this on espn's web page....

From the inbox

Q: The Chiefs are a good two years from being a playoff team, in my opinion, and by that time Tony Gonzalez (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1231) will be about finished. My question is: What would his trade value be at the trade deadline this year? This team has a lot of growing pains, and even though that leaves Brodie Croyle (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9671) thin at options, we have to look at ways to gain additional draft picks next year, and he seems to be all we have left with value. I would think teams like the Titans, Bucs, Giants, Vikings, etc. who are close would be willing to make this kind of move. It would be great for Tony to have a chance at the show, and great for us to grab some future picks.

John in Huntington Beach, Calif.

A: I wouldn't trade Gonzalez, because somebody has to catch passes for Brodie Croyle or whoever might eventually come in as the quarterback of the future. The Chiefs don't have enough pass-catchers now. Dwayne Bowe (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10467) turned out to be the best of the rookie receivers last year. Devard Darling (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5607) hasn't shown me enough yet to say he is a solid starter. The Chiefs are trying to build a team, not totally dismantle it. A good draft next year could get the team ready for a playoff run either in 2009 or, better yet, 2010. Gonzalez probably has three or four good years ahead of him. Getting draft choices is one thing, but building a team is another. To me, he's untouchable. As for his trade value, it might be the No. 2 and No. 5 the Saints gave up for Jeremy Shockey (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3542).

jtandcrew
09-29-2008, 10:41 AM
just found this on espn's web page....

From the inbox

Q: The Chiefs are a good two years from being a playoff team, in my opinion, and by that time Tony Gonzalez (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1231) will be about finished. My question is: What would his trade value be at the trade deadline this year? This team has a lot of growing pains, and even though that leaves Brodie Croyle (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9671) thin at options, we have to look at ways to gain additional draft picks next year, and he seems to be all we have left with value. I would think teams like the Titans, Bucs, Giants, Vikings, etc. who are close would be willing to make this kind of move. It would be great for Tony to have a chance at the show, and great for us to grab some future picks.

John in Huntington Beach, Calif.

A: I wouldn't trade Gonzalez, because somebody has to catch passes for Brodie Croyle or whoever might eventually come in as the quarterback of the future. The Chiefs don't have enough pass-catchers now. Dwayne Bowe (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10467) turned out to be the best of the rookie receivers last year. Devard Darling (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5607) hasn't shown me enough yet to say he is a solid starter. The Chiefs are trying to build a team, not totally dismantle it. A good draft next year could get the team ready for a playoff run either in 2009 or, better yet, 2010. Gonzalez probably has three or four good years ahead of him. Getting draft choices is one thing, but building a team is another. To me, he's untouchable. As for his trade value, it might be the No. 2 and No. 5 the Saints gave up for Jeremy Shockey (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3542).

I agree we shouldnt trade him, I was just saying if he asked for 1. I disagree that he is just worth what they gave for Shockey! Shockey can be a cancer in the clubhouse and is injury prone. Shockey hasnt proven anything except that hes athletic and has the "new" TE build.

Seek
09-29-2008, 10:56 AM
nothing to do with any Trade rumors, but the radio folk said TG was so upset after yesterdays game that he showered and left immediately after the game and refused to talk to reporters.

They are speculating that he is upset because he wanted to break Shannon Sharpe's record at home against Denver, and all he needed was one more catch.

jtandcrew
09-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I can understand that. Even though I was just waking up and getting ready for work. I had the TV turned up and yelling at Herm from 2 rooms away! So I can understand that. Especially after hearing Sharpe basically calling out Gonzales during highlights when saying "I dont think you broke my record yet"! Most records are broke and I think Sharpe showed a little less than class in saying that.

kcvet
09-29-2008, 11:07 AM
I just hope he retires as a chief.

McLovin
09-29-2008, 11:13 AM
I did think it would have been a nice move to throw him one more pass against the Donks, Now he will end up breaking the record against the Panthers in Carolina. Really thought it would be nice for him to break it at home while the Chiefs were breaking off a piece of the former record holders team. But overall Tony had to feel good about the way the entire team played. If they showed up like that every week they could still make the playoffs this year, that was a great team effort. Absolutely something to build on. I also heard the announcers talking about how Tony is still somewhat young, and has several more years left in him, although I am not quite sure about that I guess it is possible if the Chiefs get back to being a widely respected team and Tony starts enjoying playing again.

jtandcrew
09-29-2008, 11:39 AM
TBH, I think he will retire a Chief and got to the HOF as a Chief. Also, honestly, I dont care where he breaks the records. Yeah it woulda been nice to be at Arrowhead against the Donks, but the main thing is he will break it! And I want him to set the records so high that it will be sometime before someone less than worthy like Gates to come close to the records!

Seek
09-29-2008, 01:53 PM
I did think it would have been a nice move to throw him one more pass against the Donks, Now he will end up breaking the record against the Panthers in Carolina. Really thought it would be nice for him to break it at home while the Chiefs were breaking off a piece of the former record holders team. But overall Tony had to feel good about the way the entire team played. If they showed up like that every week they could still make the playoffs this year, that was a great team effort. Absolutely something to build on. I also heard the announcers talking about how Tony is still somewhat young, and has several more years left in him, although I am not quite sure about that I guess it is possible if the Chiefs get back to being a widely respected team and Tony starts enjoying playing again.

Nah, Tony has enough money. He has a family now. I think he is ready to retire while he is physically still on top of his game.

zro2gon
09-29-2008, 03:24 PM
it would be their biggest mistake ever if they trade gonzales..trading jared allen i think was stupid too..he wasnt old..had a great last season..didnt understand that..we need gonzales..he's the ONLY one to rely on to catch passes in the clutch..

arrowheadGoon305
09-30-2008, 02:14 PM
it would be their biggest mistake ever if they trade gonzales..trading jared allen i think was stupid too..he wasnt old..had a great last season..didnt understand that..we need gonzales..he's the ONLY one to rely on to catch passes in the clutch..i agree with you...it would hurt my heart to see TG leave

texaschief
10-02-2008, 05:56 PM
it would be their biggest mistake ever if they trade gonzales..trading jared allen i think was stupid too..he wasnt old..had a great last season..didnt understand that..we need gonzales..he's the ONLY one to rely on to catch passes in the clutch..

You didn't understand it? REALLY?

Jared Allen was a whiney 4 year old who didn't want to take responsibility for his actions. He was too high a risk to give a huge contract. He was one indiscretion away from being suspended for a whole year. The Chiefs needed more draft picks to rebuild their O-line and to try to keep rebuilding the defense. Allen DID NOT want to be here. He was offered a contract and turned it down because he thought that he shouldn't be held responsible for his DUI's.

Trading one legit NFL starter to bring back 3 legit NFL starters is a move that should have been made for a team that is rebuilding. Also, Allen was coming off a career year. Chances of him having another year with a sack total that high isn't something you can count on year in and year out.

Last year, he was arguably on a worse D-line than he is this season. Last season, after a two game suspension, he had five sacks after week 4. So, in two games, he had 5 sacks. This season, with a "much better line" around him, he's ranked tied for 27th-66th in sacks with 2.0 and only has 8 solo tackles. Also, it's not like he's creating more opportunities for his teammates because only DT Kevin Williams is ranked in the top 100 in sacks, tied with Allen at 2.0.

If you compared that to the Chiefs, Boone has 1.5 sacks. So, basically, we've only lost half a sack by trading Allen, but gained Branden Albert (1st rd), Jamaal Charles (3rd rd) DaJuan Morgan (3rd rd).

I know for a fact that Albert and Charles will be key contributers to this team as it goes forward. Albert will be a franchise cornerstone on the O-line for the next decade.

If you would've told me that we could trade Allen for a franchise LT, I would've done the deal straight up. But, we got Charles and Morgan on top of the franchise LT. This particular trade was a great deal for the Chiefs and Allen is proving (so far this year) that the Chiefs sold high on him and the drop off isn't at precipitous as everyone thought it might have been.

greg3564
10-02-2008, 08:46 PM
You didn't understand it? REALLY?

Jared Allen was a whiney 4 year old who didn't want to take responsibility for his actions. He was too high a risk to give a huge contract. He was one indiscretion away from being suspended for a whole year. The Chiefs needed more draft picks to rebuild their O-line and to try to keep rebuilding the defense. Allen DID NOT want to be here. He was offered a contract and turned it down because he thought that he shouldn't be held responsible for his DUI's.

Trading one legit NFL starter to bring back 3 legit NFL starters is a move that should have been made for a team that is rebuilding. Also, Allen was coming off a career year. Chances of him having another year with a sack total that high isn't something you can count on year in and year out.

Last year, he was arguably on a worse D-line than he is this season. Last season, after a two game suspension, he had five sacks after week 4. So, in two games, he had 5 sacks. This season, with a "much better line" around him, he's ranked tied for 27th-66th in sacks with 2.0 and only has 8 solo tackles. Also, it's not like he's creating more opportunities for his teammates because only DT Kevin Williams is ranked in the top 100 in sacks, tied with Allen at 2.0.

If you compared that to the Chiefs, Boone has 1.5 sacks. So, basically, we've only lost half a sack by trading Allen, but gained Branden Albert (1st rd), Jamaal Charles (3rd rd) DaJuan Morgan (3rd rd).

I know for a fact that Albert and Charles will be key contributers to this team as it goes forward. Albert will be a franchise cornerstone on the O-line for the next decade.

If you would've told me that we could trade Allen for a franchise LT, I would've done the deal straight up. But, we got Charles and Morgan on top of the franchise LT. This particular trade was a great deal for the Chiefs and Allen is proving (so far this year) that the Chiefs sold high on him and the drop off isn't at precipitous as everyone thought it might have been.

Maybe some rookies go on to stardom and some won't. I can't see into the future. But I think the LJ debacle factored into the contract negotiations with Allen. The Chiefs obviously feel they got the raw end of the LJ contract. In all respect to Allen, he deserved to have a good contract. He's been a solid player. He also has intangible benefits to the defense. That defense would get fired up when Allen started sacking left and right. He was a leader on that team who demanded respect for his on the field play. Yes, he had a couple problems off the field. Will he learn from those and mature? Most likely, but again, I can't see the future. But it is what it is.

The Charles pick is very intriguing. I feel that sent a clear message to LJ that his services with the Chiefs will be coming to an abrupt end at the conclusion of this season. They'll let LJ rack up some great numbers to improve their trading prospects. They would have dumped him this off season, but the injury question prevented that.

OTR Chiefs fan
10-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Maybe some rookies go on to stardom and some won't. I can't see into the future. But I think the LJ debacle factored into the contract negotiations with Allen. The Chiefs obviously feel they got the raw end of the LJ contract. In all respect to Allen, he deserved to have a good contract. He's been a solid player. He also has intangible benefits to the defense. That defense would get fired up when Allen started sacking left and right. He was a leader on that team who demanded respect for his on the field play. Yes, he had a couple problems off the field. Will he learn from those and mature? Most likely, but again, I can't see the future. But it is what it is.

The Charles pick is very intriguing. I feel that sent a clear message to LJ that his services with the Chiefs will be coming to an abrupt end at the conclusion of this season. They'll let LJ rack up some great numbers to improve their trading prospects. They would have dumped him this off season, but the injury question prevented that.

The only thing is Charles is a different type of back than LJ. He's more of a speed/ elusive type of back. You need someone who can pound the rock to compliment that type of back. To give you that one/ two punch. :D