PDA

View Full Version : Despite 1-4 start, jobs of Chiefs GM Peterson, coach Edwards look safe

greg3564
10-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Man I hope this guy's wrong. How can Hunt expects us fans to endure more of this next season?

From Profootballweekly.com-

Despite 1-4 start, jobs of Chiefs GM Peterson, coach Edwards look safe

By Michael Blunda Oct. 9, 2008

With the Chiefs off to a 1-4 start and no indications of improvement in sight, fans and media alike are calling for heads to roll. Whether it be someone in the front office, coaching staff or both, the people of Kansas City are awaiting a public execution. The way we hear it, however, the drastic changes theyíre looking for donít appear to be on the horizon.

Chiefs president/GM/CEO Carl Peterson, the man responsible for the current makeup of the roster, would seem to be the obvious fall guy for the teamís struggles. After all, he is the one who decided that this course of action was in the best interest of the organization. But we hear Peterson made some commitments to late owner Lamar Hunt that he intends to fulfill.

Two of the major ones ó guiding the franchise through its transition period and overseeing the renovations to Arrowhead Stadium ó should be complete by the end of the 2009 season, which just happens to be when Petersonís contract is up. He has expressed privately that at that point, he fully plans to retire, and if present Chiefs owner Clark Hunt is anything like his father, he will allow Peterson to do just that.

We understand that Lamar Hunt was extremely patient ó sometimes to a fault ó which is one of the main reasons why Peterson has remained in power for 20 seasons despite the fact that K.C. hasnít won a playoff game since 1993. And unless Clark Hunt has a dramatically different philosophy, Peterson is not expected to be fired before his contract expires.

The same goes for head coach Herm Edwards, whom Peterson trusts to help rebuild the club. If Peterson is only planning to stick around for another season, itís very unlikely that he would axe Edwards, a close friend of his, before he leaves town.

When Kansas City does finally decide to make changes in its front office, though, we hear that a serious overhaul can be expected. The team will not have one person handle the responsibilities of GM, CEO and president, as Peterson is doing. Instead, Hunt is likely to hire different individuals for these positions, so as not to have one man ruling over all facets of the organization. That is just one of many alterations Chiefs fans will see ó beginning in 2010.

tammietailgator
10-10-2008, 02:15 AM
This isn't what I want either... but I told everyone so

Guru
10-10-2008, 02:37 AM
No surprise there.

rbedgood
10-10-2008, 03:41 AM
I respect and admire loyalty, but there comes a point where it is stupidity.

Three7s
10-10-2008, 04:24 AM
As expected, all the Hunts care about is money. Why does he need Peterson to oversee renovations, again? Last time I checked, this is about football, now about having the prettiest stadium in the NFL! What a joke.

tornadospotter
10-10-2008, 09:46 AM
This isn't what I want either... but I told everyone so

No surprise there.

yep. :mob:

Drunker Hillbilly
10-10-2008, 12:32 PM
This is actually the first I have heard of any of this. I am fricken THRILLED to see there is light at the end of the tunnel!!!!! A complete overhaul????????? Sounds like a plan to me!!!!!!!

Canada
10-10-2008, 12:54 PM
As expected, all the Hunts care about is money. Why does he need Peterson to oversee renovations, again? Last time I checked, this is about football, now about having the prettiest stadium in the NFL! What a joke.

I'm sorry, but I am getting real tired of this commment. If all they cared about was money they would put a good team on the field. Become the Pats and get all kinds of bandwagon fans. I truly do not believe that they are fielding a 2-14 team with the intention of it being profitable.

Three7s
10-10-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm sorry, but I am getting real tired of this commment. If all they cared about was money they would put a good team on the field. Become the Pats and get all kinds of bandwagon fans. I truly do not believe that they are fielding a 2-14 team with the intention of it being profitable.
Then why do I keep hearing all of this about renovations? The Hunts want the stadium to look pretty so that it can attract more people to the stadium, even to the point where they keep CP around until it's finished! Not like winning games could possibly help with that......

tornadospotter
10-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Then why do I keep hearing all of this about renovations? The Hunts want the stadium to look pretty so that it can attract more people to the stadium, even to the point where they keep CP around until it's finished! Not like winning games could possibly help with that......
Because the renovations will not be done until 2010 season, the end of cp's contract is at the end of 2009 season, the Hunts will wait until then, sadly, in my opinion.

jerhart
10-10-2008, 05:56 PM
....so in other words we have to put up with CP next season regardless the outcome of this season? :mob:

Drunker Hillbilly
10-10-2008, 06:16 PM
ALL NFL teams make a profit EVERY YEAR!!!!!

I think the point is that Hunt is not involved in the everyday operations of the team nor does he say much when it comes to drafting players or getting involved in free agency. Despite what others have said, CP is like Bill Parcells, Jerry Jones and Al Davis when it comes to what players are going to be on this team. He takes into consideration what the coaches tell him and may even agree at times but know this, there is not one player on this team or any other Chiefs team that he has not approved! His word is FINAL!!!!!!! If he wants to be under the cap, they are under the cap!! Just like they have been for more than 75% of the 19 years he has been here which in turn means more money in his pocket!!

rbedgood
10-10-2008, 08:44 PM
There are many advantages to 'revenue sharing' the 'salary cap', etc. However the huge disadvantage is that teams can be very profitable without even trying to be competitive. As such, an owner can actually make a ton of money while keeping the team's operating costs very low...if the priority is winning you can still make money, but you are risking more money, whereas if the priority is money then you can make that without risking the money on free agents, top coaches, etc.

tornadospotter
10-10-2008, 08:53 PM
....so in other words we have to put up with CP next season regardless the outcome of this season? :mob:
Yep! jmo

Big Daddy Tek
10-11-2008, 01:28 AM

The Chiefs HAD to renovate or get moved. You might not know it, but you almost didnt have a Chiefs team 3 years ago. They were under serious moving negotiations. Im not talking about moving across the street either.

jtandcrew
10-11-2008, 01:48 AM
The Chiefs HAD to renovate or get moved. You might not know it, but you almost didnt have a Chiefs team 3 years ago. They were under serious moving negotiations. Im not talking about moving across the street either.

I really dont think we woulda lost them if the tax didnt pass. Its the Jackson county sports commision that actually owns the property, I think. Although I woulda voteed for the tax (but I dont live around there) Im disappointed we didnt get the rolling roof that Lamar wanted all along from the beginning!

tornadospotter
10-11-2008, 02:07 AM
Yep, there was a new stadium and practice facilities and team office on the table, Money to build in place! Like Lamar was going to let that happen! Arrowhead was never in danger of being lost! Hunts have to many other ties in Kc, Chiefs would not ever move, from KC area!

hermhater
10-11-2008, 09:35 PM
I wanted the sliding roof to pass so that we could host a SB.

hardcorechiefsfan
10-12-2008, 03:13 AM

I thought the new stadium plans were so KC could host a superbowl.

Chiefster
10-12-2008, 03:16 AM
I wanted the sliding roof to pass so that we could host a SB.

Yeah I kinda did too.

greg3564
10-12-2008, 12:55 PM
I thought the new stadium plans were so KC could host a superbowl.

A winter Superbowl game in KC? Not gonna happen. That's why there was the push to get a retractable roof.

kcvet
10-12-2008, 01:45 PM
not gonna happen. the city is to small to accomodate the large influx of fans and media anyway.

Darth CarlSatan
10-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Yep, there was a new stadium and practice facilities and team office on the table, Money to build in place! Like Lamar was going to let that happen! Arrowhead was never in danger of being lost! Hunts have to many other ties in Kc, Chiefs would not ever move, from KC area!

I refuse to be "scared" by that kind of rhetoric too, Tornado.
If the Hunt Family want's to keep these two losers around for another season, thereby driving another nail in to the coffin of this franchise, then ****'em; let them reap their reward.

In the Year Of Our Lord 1970, the Chiefs, Packers, Vikings, and God knows who else, were all living in the same financial/talent/winning Zip Code. Over decades, bad business decision after bad business decision has been made, and now our market can barely support this team.
This is make or break time. This is where Clark Hunt becomes Jerry Jones or Al Davis; there IS NO middle ground. If Clark Hunt doesn't have the stones to step in and drop the hammer; he needs to sell this team to someone who WILL.

"Hunt Family Nostalgia-Time" is OVER for me; get it done, or get the F*** Gone. Period.

hardcorechiefsfan
10-12-2008, 06:26 PM
This is make or break time. This is where Clark Hunt becomes Jerry Jones or Al Davis; there IS NO middle ground. If Clark Hunt doesn't have the stones to step in and drop the hammer; he needs to sell this team to someone who WILL.

"Hunt Family Nostalgia-Time" is OVER for me; get it done, or get the F*** Gone. Period.

Exactly. Shall I get the kettle boiling for him? :smilies_sport15:

nigeriannightmare
10-12-2008, 06:40 PM

I am a conspiracy theorist at heart and have a family restaurant. Every June the Chiefs ambassadors come to the lake for a benefit golf tournament. We have hosted everyone from Carl to Ray Farmer, to Marcus Allen, to Derrick thomas. I have over heard discussions about a move to La, apparently Clark and Carl both have a lot of ties to that area as well. It happened to the Browns days after their tax payers voted for the approval of 175 million dollar renovation in Cleveland. They were without a team for what, 2 years. Things keep going the way they are going, it makes you think.

hardcorechiefsfan
10-12-2008, 06:44 PM
I am a conspiracy theorist at heart and have a family restaurant. Every June the Chiefs ambassadors come to the lake for a benefit golf tournament. We have hosted everyone from Carl to Ray Farmer, to Marcus Allen, to Derrick thomas. I have over heard discussions about a move to La, apparently Clark and Carl both have a lot of ties to that area as well. It happened to the Browns days after their tax payers voted for the approval of 175 million dollar renovation in Cleveland. They were without a team for what, 2 years. Things keep going the way they are going, it makes you think.
The L.A. Chiefs??? They would have to rename them, God forbid.

Darth CarlSatan
10-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Exactly. Shall I get the kettle boiling for him? :smilies_sport15:

Collect the wood and water; we'll hold off until February.

hardcorechiefsfan
10-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Collect the wood and water; we'll hold off until February.

Wouldn't you consider spring hog-boiling time?

nigeriannightmare
10-12-2008, 06:48 PM
The L.A. Chiefs??? They would have to rename them, God forbid.

The Browns became the Ravens. I am not saying it's gonna happen, but Clark's lack of involvement with the rranchise is really weird to me, really weird.

Darth CarlSatan
10-12-2008, 06:51 PM

If Clark and Carl and the rest of the Mickey Mouse Club want to start a new team in LA AFTER the Hunt's sell the Kansas City Chiefs to someone with the time, money, and competitive streak necessary to bring our team properly in to the 21st-Century, then so be it; good riddance to lame( Clark )and bad( Carl )rubbish!

I would shed not one tear.

hardcorechiefsfan
10-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Clark does seem the death of the chiefs. Lamar is probably spinning in his grave now.

Darth CarlSatan
10-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Wouldn't you consider spring hog-boiling time?

I'll consider ANY time if those two clowns can't get their heads on straight!

hardcorechiefsfan
10-12-2008, 06:57 PM
I'll consider ANY time if those two clowns can't get their heads on straight!

Well I got the wood ready. Ever see the movie Fried Green Tomatoes?

Darth CarlSatan
10-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Clark does seem the death of the chiefs. Lamar is probably spinning in his grave now.

No disrespect, but let's remember the Tree from which the Apple fell!
I don't count letting Steadman and Peterson run the show in to the ground unchecked as being "great ownership".
From the mid 70's until Carl and Marty's arrival were a DISASTER. How do YOU, as someone who supposedly takes pride in your football team, let that kind of mess go on for SO LONG?
And Carl has now become Steadman all over again because he is NEVER HELD ACCOUNTABLE. And he probably NEVER WILL BE. He'll probably get signed again, because the Chiefs are NOT a passion to the Hunt Family; they're a BUSINESS until I see otherwise.

Kansas City did NOT have to become a "Small Market Team"! When you win a Super Bowl, that's puts you on the SAME PAGE as any other franchise who claims that Trophy!
Apparently, after that and over the years, the Hunt family has had other priorities that were more important than their football franchise.

Darth CarlSatan
10-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Well I got the wood ready. Ever see the movie Fried Green Tomatoes?

Nope. I'm afraid I missed that one.

Canada
10-12-2008, 07:30 PM
No disrespect, but let's remember the Tree from which the Apple fell!
I don't count letting Steadman and Peterson run the show in to the ground unchecked as being "great ownership".
From the mid 70's until Carl and Marty's arrival were a DISASTER. How do YOU, as someone who supposedly takes pride in your football team, let that kind of mess go on for SO LONG?
And Carl has now become Steadman all over again because he is NEVER HELD ACCOUNTABLE. And he probably NEVER WILL BE. He'll probably get signed again, because the Chiefs are NOT a passion to the Hunt Family; they're a BUSINESS until I see otherwise.

Kansas City did NOT have to become a "Small Market Team"! When you win a Super Bowl, that's puts you on the SAME PAGE as any other franchise who claims that Trophy!
Apparently, after that and over the years, the Hunt family has had other priorities that were more important than their football franchise.

Really? You question Lamars passion and commitment to the Chiefs? wow

tornadospotter
10-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Really? You question Lamars passion and commitment to the Chiefs? wow
Yeah, I do not buy that either!

Darth CarlSatan
10-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I do not buy that either!

Okay then, I've outlined my case for you, so the both of you should then in turn make a case for why I'm wrong.

Don't just tell me I'm wrong; tell me WHY.

Canada
10-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Okay then, I've outlined my case for you, so the both of you should then in turn make a case for why I'm wrong.

Don't just tell me I'm wrong; tell me WHY.

The founder of the Chiefs and the man who brought the AFL and NFL together, moved the Chiefs from Dallas to Kansas City. That is the guy that you need clarification on? You have got to be kiddig me. Question Carl, question Clark, thats fine. But Lamar? You have got to be joking. Sure we had a crap team in the 70s, how about one of the most dominant teams in the 90's. The only thing that I think Lamar is guilty of is being too loyal to CP. Which if you ask me is something that NFL football today is lacking. (loyalty) But Lamar Hunt went to the grave supporting this team and now there are people who are going to question his passion for this team? What a F$^kin' joke.

Three7s
10-12-2008, 08:56 PM
The founder of the Chiefs and the man who brought the AFL and NFL together, moved the Chiefs from Dallas to Kansas City. That is the guy that you need clarification on? You have got to be kiddig me. Question Carl, question Clark, thats fine. But Lamar? You have got to be joking. Sure we had a crap team in the 70s, how about one of the most dominant teams in the 90's. The only thing that I think Lamar is guilty of is being too loyal to CP. Which if you ask me is something that NFL football today is lacking. (loyalty) But Lamar Hunt went to the grave supporting this team and now there are people who are going to question his passion for this team? What a F$^kin' joke.
Right now, that loyalty is killing us, though. Peterson should've been gone after Vermeil era failed.

Darth CarlSatan
10-12-2008, 09:01 PM

How is being loyal to Steadman and Peterson, in light of their COMBINED 10 YEARS(maybe)of being competitive( not winning a Super Bowl, but JUST BEING COMPETITIVE )good business?
Sure, there's a line you don't want to cross where you become Al Davis and start throwing pink slips around like confetti, but COME ON!
You have unwittingly gotten right to the heart of the matter, and have made my case for me again:
THIS is the Hunt Mandate( Father OR Son ), and it has been so since day one after we won our only Super Bowl:

As long as the asses are in the seats, as long as the merchandise sells, and as long as the revenue flows, everything is OK.

Well guess what, Canada? That ain't ok, and it's high-time someone had the balls to stand up and SAY SO!

I like to win, how about you? And running the Chiefs like a budget yard-sale is NOT going to get it done.

I'll say it from now until the END OF TIME:

If the ownership of this franchise is not in it to win it; then sell the mother****** to someone who IS.

Darth CarlSatan
10-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Right now, that loyalty is killing us, though. Peterson should've been gone after Vermeil era failed.

THANK YOU!

Canada
10-12-2008, 09:08 PM
How is being loyal to Steadman and Peterson, in light of their COMBINED 10 YEARS(maybe)of being competitive( not winning a Super Bowl, but JUST BEING COMPETITIVE )good business?
Sure, there's a line you don't want to cross where you become Al Davis and start throwing pink slips around like confetti, but COME ON!
You have unwittingly gotten right to the heart of the matter, and have made my case for me again:
THIS is the Hunt Mandate( Father OR Son ), and it has been so since day one after we won our only Super Bowl:

As long as the asses are in the seats, as long as the merchandise sells, and as long as the revenue flows, everything is OK.

Well guess what, Canada? That ain't ok, and it's high-time someone had the balls to stand up and SAY SO!

I like to win, how about you? And running the Chiefs like a budget yard-sale is NOT going to get it done.

I'll say it from now until the END OF TIME:

If the ownership of this franchise is not in it to win it; then sell the mother****** to someone who IS.

Yeah, I guess when they put those 13-3 teams on the field it was Carl and Lamars fault they lost there too right. I don't think '03 was a budget yard sale, but still you manage to be able to put the blame on CP and Lamar!! Makes sense to me. Put a winning team on the field who did not perform in the playoffs...whos fault is that? But you go ahead and jump on that "Blame management" bandwagon. Scream and yell for the heads of CP and Clark, but you seem to have strayed from your argument. Lamar had more passion for this team than this entire board put together. Look at the last 15 years of this franchise...how many winning seasons have we had? Is it ever the players fault that we did not win? I don't hear you questioning their passion. The whole management argument is so worn out is gets boring to listen to. So question Lamar all you like, that shows me your passion and commitment to the Chiefs.

Canada
10-12-2008, 09:10 PM
The only thing that I think Lamar is guilty of is being too loyal to CP.

THANK YOU!

Wow...its almost like that is EXACTLY what I said!!

Three7s
10-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Wow...its almost like that is EXACTLY what I said!!
I'm not saying that Lamar was a bad owner. He was a good person and wanted the best for the team. He fielded some very good teams in the 90s, just couldn't win the big games. Near the end, I think he lost some passion for the game and let CP do the heavy lifting. He kept Carl around because, like you said, was loyal to him. He let his emotions get in the way of owning the team.

tornadospotter
10-12-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm not saying that Lamar was a bad owner. He was a good person and wanted the best for the team. He fielded some very good teams in the 90s, just couldn't win the big games. Near the end, I think he lost some passion for the game and let CP do the heavy lifting. He kept Carl around because, like you said, was loyal to him. He let his emotions get in the way of owning the team.
I do not believe Lamar lost his passion for the Chiefs!! Maybe because of his failing health, in the later years, cp got more control?

Darth CarlSatan
10-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I guess when they put those 13-3 teams on the field it was Carl and Lamars fault they lost there too right. I don't think '03 was a budget yard sale, but still you manage to be able to put the blame on CP and Lamar!! Makes sense to me. Put a winning team on the field who did not perform in the playoffs...whos fault is that? But you go ahead and jump on that "Blame management" bandwagon. Scream and yell for the heads of CP and Clark, but you seem to have strayed from your argument. Lamar had more passion for this team than this entire board put together. Look at the last 15 years of this franchise...how many winning seasons have we had? Is it ever the players fault that we did not win? I don't hear you questioning their passion. The whole management argument is so worn out is gets boring to listen to. So question Lamar all you like, that shows me your passion and commitment to the Chiefs.

Let me ask you something Canada from Canada; do my 15 voting-age years of living IN Jackson County, IN KCMO Proper, and voting FOR every proposal tied to the Truman Sports Complex, and then PAYING FOR THEM WITH MY MONEY factor in to your "assessment" of my commitment?!?!

If you want to question my blind faith or the lack thereof, be my guest. But for you to question my commitment to the Chiefs? That's rich...

Bike
10-12-2008, 10:24 PM
No. He should have been shoveled out of here after 98 season - after Marty took us to 1 playoff win in ten years.

Darth CarlSatan
10-12-2008, 10:32 PM
No. He should have been shoveled out of here after 98 season - after Marty took us to 1 playoff win in ten years.

You got it. Canada's all pissed at me because I've chosen to look at all this nonsense starting at the place you SHOULD look; The Top.

Don't you worry though, I'm putting all the numbers together RIGHT NOW. And when I'm done, he and everyone else will see that I am NOT talking out of my ***!

Be with ya' shortly...

hardcorechiefsfan
10-12-2008, 10:35 PM
I just came from Bible study. I had done alot of thinking about how I was thinking ill of Clark, Carl and Hermie earlier.

We should pray for our leaders, whether it be the president of the United States, our pastors-preachers-priests-ministers, our military superiors, principals of our schools,our parents, coaches, general managers, and even the owner of a football franchise.

Those that I mentioned and some that I didn't, they have to make decisions - big decisions - and there are some people(or alot) that don't agree with the decisions made for the whole. All we can do is pray that they make good decisions, those decisions might not be what you or I would decide.

tornadospotter
10-12-2008, 10:41 PM
[/b]

Let me ask you something Canada from Canada; do my 15 voting-age years of living IN Jackson County, IN KCMO Proper, and voting FOR every proposal tied to the Truman Sports Complex, and then PAYING FOR THEM WITH MY MONEY factor in to your "assessment" of my commitment?!?!

If you want to question my blind faith or the lack thereof, be my guest. But for you to question my commitment to the Chiefs? That's rich...
Darth do not throw out the tax money issue, yes Jackson County tax payers have a vested interest in the Truman Sports Complex, but I am sure that it is a win for Jackson County in revenue, jobs and economy for Jackson County. If the Chiefs and Royals left????? What type of impact would that have been for your county and your taxes! But I do not live in Jackson County, so I just know that when I come to Jackson County for a Chiefs Game, I most definitely help the local economy!:D

Darth CarlSatan
10-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Darth do not throw out the tax money issue, yes Jackson County tax payers have a vested interest in the Truman Sports Complex, but I am sure that it is a win for Jackson County in revenue, jobs and economy for Jackson County. If the Chiefs and Royals left????? What type of impact would that have been for your county and your taxes! But I do not live in Jackson County, so I just know that when I come to Jackson County for a Chiefs Game, I most definitely help the local economy!:D

I don't want to get in to the whole "I pay the taxes/but I buy the tickets"-argument; that ain't what this is about.
Besides, every Chiefs fan in Johnson County had their chance to get in the door, help the cause, and carry the load twice; they elected not to.

Numbers to arrive shortly, let's put this thread back on track...

Darth CarlSatan
10-13-2008, 12:28 AM
When Kansas City does finally decide to make changes in its front office, though, we hear that a serious overhaul can be expected. The team will not have one person handle the responsibilities of GM, CEO and president, as Peterson is doing. Instead, Hunt is likely to hire different individuals for these positions, so as not to have one man ruling over all facets of the organization. That is just one of many alterations Chiefs fans will see ó beginning in 2010.

That "likely" had better instead be "will hire" etc. It will take that kind of compartmentalization to begin the long climb out of the hole this franchise currently finds itself in.

Now, on to the topic at hand:

I began all of this by saying I felt that the Chiefs, the Packers, and the Vikings( all mid western cities with a population/market of roughly the same size, and who were at the time championship quality franchises ), in 1970, were all pretty much starting the decade on the same, level playing field.
I went on to say that that in MY opinion, a string of bad business decisions( which ALL start at The TOP )have helped, over the years and one by one, to land us in our current situation. One in particular, the trading of Bobby Bell to Minnesota comes to mind( who the hell authorized that? Yeah; that was a great call...(rolls eyes repeatedly).

And finally, I hypothesized that the numbers would bear out whether or not Chiefs Football, over the decades, was priority #1 with the Hunt Family.

But before we begin, let's define "competitive" as it relates to a professional football franchise.
To me, "competitive" means a team who consistently facilitates, and brings to their fans and community, POST-SEASON PLAY. Period.
If we're "in it to win it"; it's what we do.
And since I'm feeling generous, I'll even include the Wing and a Prayer "Wild Card" showings, though that aspect of getting to the Super Bowl does NOT paint a clear picture of a franchise's worth in The Big Picture.

So here they are, the numbers as they stand from 1970 to 2007:

#1 VIKINGS:

38 Years,
22 Playoff Appearances,
13 as Divisional,
9 as Wild Cards,
0 Super Bowl Appearance(s),
0 Super Bowl Win(s).

#2 PACKERS:

38 Years,
13 Playoff Appearances,
5 as Divisional,
8 as Wild Cards,
1 Super Bowl Appearance(s),
1 Super Bowl Win(s).

#3 CHIEFS:

38 Years,
11 Playoff Appearances,
4 as Divisional,
7 as Wild Cards,
0 Super Bowl Win(s).

Let's take it even further. How do we stack up, during that same time-period, in the AFC West?
(Oh, you're gonna' love this...)

#4 CHARGERS:

38 Years,
10 Playoff Appearances,
6 as Divisional,
4 as Wild Cards,
1 Super Bowl Appearance(s),
0 Super Bowl Win(s).

#3 CHIEFS:

38 Years,
11 Playoff Appearances,
4 as Divisional,
7 as Wild Cards,
0 Super Bowl Win(s).

#2 BRONCOS:

38 Years,
16 Playoff Appearances,
10 as Divisional,
6 as Wild Cards,
2 Super Bowl Appearance(s),
2 Super Bowl Win(s).

#1 RAIDERS:

38 Years,
18 Playoff Appearances,
10 as Divisional,
8 as Wild Cards,
4 Super Bowl Appearance(s),
3 Super Bowl Win(s).

And just for ****s and giggles, let's throw in the record of an Owner who I feel exemplifies the ideal of "getting in there, and getting your hands dirty( or bloody if needed ), to Get It Done".

Ladies and Gentlemen, from 1990 to Present:
The Dallas Cowboys:

18 Years,
11 Appearances( does that number ring a bell, anyone?)
5 As Divisional,
6 As Wild Card,
3 Super Bowl Appearances,
3 Super Bowl Wins.

So there it is people; make your own call.

Darth CarlSatan
10-13-2008, 12:39 AM
Reading my own post has depressed me greatly. I don't wanna' be all heavy-handed, and I apologize to Canada or anyone else I may have offended.

I just DON'T believe in luck. That's the long and short of it.
Now, I'm just gonna' chill out and watch the Star Wars documentary "Empire of Dreams"; it always makes me smile.

Latah'
DCS.

Canada
10-13-2008, 12:45 AM
You got it. Canada's all pissed at me because I've chosen to look at all this nonsense starting at the place you SHOULD look; The Top.

Don't you worry though, I'm putting all the numbers together RIGHT NOW. And when I'm done, he and everyone else will see that I am NOT talking out of my ***!

Be with ya' shortly...

First off...I am not all pissed off. I don't lose any sleep over whether or not you like Lamar, Clark, CP, me, hermhater, or anyone else. Sorry I don't agree with you that Lamar hunt was not "in it to win it" Sorry I don't agree that he was only in it for the money. Sometimes teams find it difficult to win the SuperBowl. I know it is easy and you know it is easy, but I guess for some teams it is really difficult. Maybe that is the issue we should address. But then what do I know, I am only Canada from Canada and not a taxpayer in jackson county!! :sign0098: Thanks for letting me watch your Chiefs!

hardcorechiefsfan
10-13-2008, 12:52 AM
#3 CHIEFS:

38 Years,
11 Playoff Appearances,
4 as Divisional,
7 as Wild Cards,
0 Super Bowl Win(s).

The chiefs had 2 SB appearances, one a winner!!

Darth CarlSatan
10-13-2008, 12:55 AM

From 1970 to present.

Canada
10-13-2008, 12:57 AM

those numbers start right after the SB win.

I am not denying that there is a change needed up top, but the problem has not been Lamars lack of passion or dedication.

Darth CarlSatan
10-13-2008, 12:59 AM
First off...I am not all pissed off. I don't lose any sleep over whether or not you like Lamar, Clark, CP, me, hermhater, or anyone else. Sorry I don't agree with you that Lamar hunt was not "in it to win it" Sorry I don't agree that he was only in it for the money. Sometimes teams find it difficult to win the SuperBowl. I know it is easy and you know it is easy, but I guess for some teams it is really difficult. Maybe that is the issue we should address. But then what do I know, I am only Canada from Canada and not a taxpayer in jackson county!! :sign0098: Thanks for letting me watch your Chiefs!

Well, I don't live there anymore myself, so it's outta' my hands. All I can to do is buy the gear( which I still do ), and hope the good rookies will stick around to see it through once the changes take place.
:bananen_smilies046:

hardcorechiefsfan
10-13-2008, 01:25 AM
those numbers start right after the SB win.

Oh ok.

tornadospotter
10-13-2008, 01:39 AM
You forgot me. :11: The old fart with the cute grandson! How could you do that to me?
I see I am with the anybody else.

tornadospotter
10-13-2008, 01:45 AM
Reading my own post has depressed me greatly. I don't wanna' be all heavy-handed, and I apologize to Canada or anyone else I may have offended.

I just DON'T believe in luck. That's the long and short of it.
Now, I'm just gonna' chill out and watch the Star Wars documentary "Empire of Dreams"; it always makes me smile.

Latah'
DCS.
No offense take. Dude you can post what ever and if you offend me I will let you know, I not easily offended however!

greg3564
10-14-2008, 01:20 AM
I am not denying that there is a change needed up top, but the problem has not been Lamars lack of passion or dedication.

:sign0098: I never questioned Lamar's dedication and drive. He was loyal to a fault. And he did put one of the best team in recent history, with Vermeil, on the field. Clark on the other hand, I'm not so sure his heart is in this. I don't know that he loves this team like his dad did for so many years. I don't know if the Chiefs are a business or a passion with Clark. Too soon to tell with him. Carl Peterson has lead well beyond his shelf life and needs to go now.

hardcorechiefsfan
10-14-2008, 01:40 AM
:sign0098: I never questioned Lamar's dedication and drive. He was loyal to a fault. And he did put one of the best team in recent history, with Vermeil, on the field.

I think Lamar was already sick when he put his faith in Carl's decision to put Vermeil in as HC. Lamar already knew Vermeil's track record as a coach who could make a team into a SB team. He only wanted to help the chiefs further themselves. But the chiefs didn't play as a team, there were too many players who were looking out for only themselves.(some ex: Jared Allen, LJ, Dante Hall.)

Clark on the other hand, I'm not so sure his heart is in this. I don't know that he loves this team like his dad did for so many years. I don't know if the Chiefs are a business or a passion with Clark. Too soon to tell with him.He has to love the chiefs like we do or the chiefs will never be anything again.

Carl Peterson has lead well beyond his shelf life and needs to go now.

I thought Carl made an excellent decision when he called up a favor from his friend, Dick Vermeil. I was so sure that we would at least give the other play-off teams a run for their money. I guess Carl has definitely zonked himself into a grave(hypothetically speaking).

chief31
10-14-2008, 07:24 AM
I think Lamar was already sick when he put his faith in Carl's decision to put Vermeil in as HC. Lamar already knew Vermeil's track record as a coach who could make a team into a SB team. He only wanted to help the chiefs further themselves. But the chiefs didn't play as a team, there were too many players who were looking out for only themselves.(some ex: Jared Allen, LJ, Dante Hall.)

He has to love the chiefs like we do or the chiefs will never be anything again.

I thought Carl made an excellent decision when he called up a favor from his friend, Dick Vermeil. I was so sure that we would at least give the other play-off teams a run for their money. I guess Carl has definitely zonked himself into a grave(hypothetically speaking).

Yeah, that Jared Allen sure was a pr*** for getting traded.

The Chiefs didn't offer him a contract, they just traded him away.

But somehow, TG is a wonderful team player for wanting to leave for a championship?

I'm not being down on Gonzo here. Just pointing out the hypocracy that gets displayed about these things.

Jared said, repeatedly, that he wanted a long-term deal from The Chiefs. But they didn't want him, so they traded him away.

And what did Dante do to us? All he did was play football and love the fans. He was the single-most personable Chiefs player at traing camp, and everyone there already knew that, because he always was.

Second on that list would be Jared Allen.

These were some really good people and players, who seem to be getting a pretty bad rap because our team threw them out.

Now TG is choosing to leave us, and we are praising him?

I just don't see the logic there at all.

Canada
10-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Apples and oranges. How much of his career has Tony given to this team? How many contract holdouts, missed camp time, public outbursts in front of the media. You are talking about 11 years of being here vs a guy who has been here three years. And last I check...this was notabout Tony demanding money. This is about a guy who wants to win a playoff game, nevermind a championship. Don't elevate JA to the level of Tony. Apples and Oranges.

Darth CarlSatan
10-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Apples and oranges. How much of his career has Tony given to this team? How many contract holdouts, missed camp time, public outbursts in front of the media. You are talking about 11 years of being here vs a guy who has been here three years. And last I check...this was notabout Tony demanding money. This is about a guy who wants to win a playoff game, nevermind a championship. Don't elevate JA to the level of Tony. Apples and Oranges.

Yep.

nigeriannightmare
10-14-2008, 11:11 PM

How about comparing Larry Johnson to Jared Allen. Still will never know how LJ got the contract that he got, knowing full well the shape the offensive line would be in. Carl should have been fired for that abismal contract signing. Good for LJ, but detrimental to the re-building of the chiefs. I wanna rebuild so I'll sign our running back to a crazy contract, knowing he won't be able to produce, then sign away our best defensive player for draft picks. That's some hypocrsy. Have I mentioned how much I dislike Herm and Carl.

Darth CarlSatan
10-14-2008, 11:28 PM
How about comparing Larry Johnson to Jared Allen. Still will never know how LJ got the contract that he got, knowing full well the shape the offensive line would be in. Carl should have been fired for that abismal contract signing. Good for LJ, but detrimental to the re-building of the chiefs. I wanna rebuild so I'll sign our running back to a crazy contract, knowing he won't be able to produce, then sign away our best defensive player for draft picks. That's some hypocrsy. Have I mentioned how much I dislike Herm and Carl.

In retrospect, the really smart move would have been to let Tony go on his way, and keep Allen and Johnson.
Instead, we had to force one guy out the door to keep Gonzales. Who doesn't want to play here.

Bike
10-14-2008, 11:35 PM
In retrospect, the really smart move would have been to let Tony go on his way, and keep Allen and Johnson.
Instead, we had to force one guy out the door to keep Gonzales. Who doesn't want to play here.
I don't think ANYBODY wants to play here while Carl and Herm are running things...

Darth CarlSatan
10-14-2008, 11:51 PM
I don't think ANYBODY wants to play here while Carl and Herm are running things...

True enough, but the bottom line is that the numbers were never in Tony's favor once the commitment to rebuild through the draft was made.

Don't get me wrong; I love Tony. He and Derrick were the very definition team leaders, style, grace, and a commitment to the community.
I'm sure tons of 'Chokers'-fans love(d) Junior Seau too.
This kind of thing isn't what we all envisioned for Tony and for the Chiefs. That said, I would like to see ONE guy from that 97' squad get The Ring. They had the rug pulled out from under them at the 11th-hour by mismanagement, and my Man DT sure as hell isn't going to get another shot at it.
Give it to Tony.
Besides, he won't be going to The Hall as a Giant or whoeverthehell; he'll go in as a Kansas City Chief.

And that's good enough for me.

nigeriannightmare
10-15-2008, 12:06 AM

Do you blame him. Should have kept Allen and Gonzo and got rid of LJ. Didn't DV complain about having to baby sit him all the time. LJ.

Darth CarlSatan
10-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Do you blame him. Should have kept Allen and Gonzo and got rid of LJ. Didn't DV complain about having to baby sit him all the time. LJ.

I'm sure LJ will find his way to Miami or somewhere on the east or west coast. He thinks he's a Hip-Hop All-Star now, so let him go do all of that Diamond-Cutter nonsense down the road.

Sn@keIze
10-15-2008, 12:59 AM
I'm sure LJ will find his way to Miami or somewhere on the east or west coast. He thinks he's a Hip-Hop All-Star now, so let him go do all of that Diamond-Cutter nonsense down the road.
HA! LJ isnt going anywhere. There aint no team willing to take that contract.

Do you seriously think Parcells is stupid enuf to eat that contract?

Darth CarlSatan
10-15-2008, 01:07 AM
HA! LJ isnt going anywhere. There aint no team willing to take that contract.

Do you seriously think Parcells is stupid enuf to eat that contract?

Okay, Let's just stick with "somewhere". Herm was unusually transparent about all this; he doesn't want either of them around.
Not saying that's a good thing, it just is what it is.

chief31
10-15-2008, 01:30 AM

Never liked the "apples to oranges" thing.

I like oranges better. Perfectly comparable. :D In fact, can I get a mango instead, or something?

Anyway, many of us sat here and crucified Jared Allen, as if he wasn't a team player, because he wanted to sign with this team.

But another guy wants to leave, and he is still cool. I don't care if TG has been on the team since birth. He is asking to leave, while JA was forced to leave.

Allen did not hold-out. He just asked for a contract. It was never offered, and then he was traded away.

He didn't trade himself. We traded him. But, somehow, JA is the traitor?

Darth CarlSatan
10-15-2008, 01:39 AM

I like oranges better. Perfectly comparable. :D In fact, can I get a mango instead, or something?

Anyway, many of us sat here and crucified Jared Allen, as if he wasn't a team player, because he wanted to sign with this team.

But another guy wants to leave, and he is still cool. I don't care if TG has been on the team since birth. He is asking to leave, while JA was forced to leave.

Allen did not hold-out. He just asked for a contract. It was never offered, and then he was traded away.

Wow. I have to admit; you DO make a compelling argument.
But for harmony's sake, I say we continue to focus on the common denominator:
CARLSATAN is a horrid GM and an undercover, west coast, Al Davis operative! :D:D:D

Sn@keIze
10-15-2008, 02:58 AM
Wow. I have to admit; you DO make a compelling argument.
But for harmony's sake, I say we continue to focus on the common denominator:
CARLSATAN is a horrid GM and an undercover, west coast, Al Davis operative! :D:D:D
Itd be interesting to see Al and CP go at it in "Celebrity Death Match".

On 2nd thought, nevermind, theyd both find a way to lose simultaneously.

Darth CarlSatan
10-15-2008, 03:56 AM
Itd be interesting to see Al and CP go at it in "Celebrity Death Match".

On 2nd thought, nevermind, theyd both find a way to lose simultaneously.

If all proceeds go to the Third and Long Foundation; I'm IN!!! :D:D:D

Here's the thing that kills me:
I see not one, but several guys who have the potential to be That Kind Of Player. To be That Kind Of Chief. And I know that the initial "NFL Excitement" won't last long in the face of too many losses.
If they can just hold on long enough to see the Changing of the Guard; great days are ahead.

hardcorechiefsfan
10-15-2008, 04:23 AM

First off Jared Allen wasn't a team player.
Secondly, he asked to be traded.
Thirdly, Tony might as well of been a chief since birth because he is the essense of a red blooded chief. Last season there were very few that were team players, JA wasn't one of them. LJ wasn't one of them. I can't remember any more names.
Tony Gonalez is a KC chief and team player.

chief31
10-15-2008, 04:27 AM
First off Jared Allen wasn't a team player.
Secondly, he asked to be traded.
Thirdly, Tony might as well of been a chief since birth because he is the essense of a red blooded chief. Last season there were very few that were team players, JA wasn't one of them. LJ wasn't one of them. I can't remember any more names.
Tony Gonalez is a KC chief and team player.

First.. Yes. he most certainly was.

Second... No he was asked if he would be willing to be traded.

Tony stayed a Chief because he was given the contract when it was time.

I have no idea where you are coming up with the notion that JA wasn't a team player. That is the firat I have ever heard about that. Care to elaborate?

Canada
10-15-2008, 09:05 AM

I guess if 11 years of service counts for nothing then yeah, it is a pretty comparable situation. I mean Jared did give us 3 years of average service and 1 good season.

I guess if one guy wants to fulfill his career by trying to get to a championship, that is almost the same as another guy who left cause he did not get his $74 million contract when HE wanted it.

Like it or not, JA tried to hold this franchise hostage by saying pay me now or else and now he is gone. Tony asked for a trade to try and win a playoff game.

You may not like apples and oranges, but that is what they are.

Darth CarlSatan
10-15-2008, 12:07 PM
I guess if 11 years of service counts for nothing then yeah, it is a pretty comparable situation. I mean Jared did give us 3 years of average service and 1 good season.

I guess if one guy wants to fulfill his career by trying to get to a championship, that is almost the same as another guy who left cause he did not get his $74 million contract when HE wanted it.

Like it or not, JA tried to hold this franchise hostage by saying pay me now or else and now he is gone. Tony asked for a trade to try and win a playoff game.

Yep,

chief31
10-16-2008, 10:04 AM

That's alot of BS.

First, Jared had two very good seasons, one fantastic season, and a rookie year. And, had this team made the slightest attempt to keep him here, he would have added to that.

Also, The Chiefs got rid of him. Period. He didn't ask to be traded. He was asked to find a trade partner, because the team didn't want him.

Like it or not, Jared was traded by the Chiefs. Jared tried to negotiate with this team, but the team didn't want to negotiate, and didn't.

Jared made an offer to stay, and The Chiefs made an offer for him to leave. They took it.

You can wear your Carl Peterson signature shades all you want, but that won't change the fact that Jared asked if he could stay several times, and The Chiefs said no.

I have no idea where you find "He tried to hold this team hostage" garbage in that.

And I like apples. I just like oranges better. How are apples and oranges not comparable again?

Canada
10-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Yeah, he made all the effort possible to stay here. ...and Pac Man Jones is really trying his little heart out too right? I can't believe we did not bend to the $74 million will of a two time loser!! But I guess the suspensions should have just been forgotten right? Maybe you need to take the CP hating shades off once in a blue moon too my friend.

chief31
10-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah, he made all the effort possible to stay here. ...and Pac Man Jones is really trying his little heart out too right? I can't believe we did not bend to the $74 million will of a two time loser!! But I guess the suspensions should have just been forgotten right? Maybe you need to take the CP hating shades off once in a blue moon too my friend.

I've got an idea. How about if you just continue to act like you have never heard of negotiations.

What was The Chiefs' counter-offer again?

By the way, I'm not the one who hates CP. Ask DH. I don't particularly like him, but I am not one of those that is all over him about everything.

I am one of the few who is un-biased in that matter.

I have, however, met Jared Allen. He was joking back and fourth with fans. He was one of only two players that stayed past the required time for autograph signings. (Dante Hall being the other one.) And was the most friendly person (fans included) that I met over the course of that week. And I met him four times. Each time, he just as jovial as the last.

In fact, I would guess (I hate that I didn't get to find out myself) that you are just f***ing like him. With the exception of alcohol, of course.

But, since he asked The Chiefs, for more than a year, if he could stay, and was told no. Somehow he is some back-stabbing traitor?

tornadospotter
10-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Hunt says he has no plans to shake up the Chiefs

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.kansascity.com/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); }http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2008/10/15/23/681-a1_clark_hunt_mug_10-16-2008_DQ15OVM4.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2008/10/15/23/786-a1_clark_hunt_mug_10-16-2008_DQ15OVM4.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg)
MIKE RANSDELL
Hunt
var storyImage = $("#storyAssets .image img").width(); if (storyImage > 0){$("#storyAssets").width(storyImage);}
http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2008/10/15/23/699-Peterson_10-16-2008_DQ15OVN4.thumb.prod_affiliate.81.jpg (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2008/10/15/23/606-Peterson_10-16-2008_DQ15OVN4.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg)htt p://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2008/10/15/23/224-Herm_Edwards_10-16-2008_CR15OVS5.thumb.prod_affiliate.81.jpg (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2008/10/15/23/485-Herm_Edwards_10-16-2008_CR15OVS5.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg)

Jason Whitlock: Hunt doesn't understand how bad things are with Chiefs (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/843178.html)
Tony: 'I'm out there doing my normal routine' http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/07/15.jpgVIDEO (http://pointers.audiovideoweb.com/stcasx/va90win15056/101508_gonzaleztalk_sports_gls.wmv/play.asx)
Red Zone: The Star's blog on the Chiefs (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/)
More on the Chiefs (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/)
Kansas City Chiefs (http://kcchiefs.com/)
National Football League (http://www.nfl.com/)
Gonzalez says his relationship with Peterson has soured (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/843198.html)
Chiefs notebook: Edwards vague on LJís status (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/843200.html)
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. | Herm Edwards and Carl Peterson can relax ó for now.
Edwards, the Chiefsí head coach, and Peterson, the teamís president and general manager, were given votes of confidence this week by Clark Hunt, the teamís chairman. In an hourlong interview at the NFLís fall meetings, Hunt said Edwards and Peterson were doing their jobs well despite the Chiefsí 1-4 record and the fact the team was not competitive in three of those losses.
Peterson also came under fire this week after the team could not grant tight end Tony Gonzalezís request to be traded. The Chiefsí woeful performance the last two seasons has prompted many fans to call for the firings of Edwards and Peterson.
Hunt, 43, became the Chiefsí controlling partner in December 2006 after the death of his father, Lamar Hunt, the teamís founder. Clark Hunt made his first big impact after the end of last season, in which the Chiefs finished 4-12, the teamís worst record since 1977.
Hunt at that time announced the Chiefs would embark on a massive rebuilding program centered on young players. He also laid out a set of expectations to meet this season.
Hunt on Wednesday indicated no regret about the course the Chiefs have set. The Chiefs have 16 rookies ó almost a third of the teamís roster ó and many of them start or play significant roles.
ďFrom my standpoint, I still believe itís the right approach,Ē Hunt said. ďItís certainly not without some pain in the short term. Hopefully, the prize at the end of the process is going to be well worth it. Ö
ďItís been a mixed bag, but Iím not sure thatís different from what I expected.Ē
Highlights of the interview follow:
Q: Do you have the right people in place to see the Chiefs through this rebuilding process?
Hunt: I think so. I would point to our draft this year. At the time, we felt good about it. Five games into the season, I feel equally good about it. The staff, including the coaching staff, did a great job of identifying the type of players they felt would be a good fit, the type of players they felt could become starting players in the NFL, the type of players they felt would become good Chiefs. The coordination and the sharing of a common perspective between the scouting department and the coaching staff is as good as I can remember it in the last 10 years.
Is Herm Edwards doing a good job?
I think he is. Certainly, competing in the NFL with as many rookies as we have on our team and as many rookies as we have in our starting lineup is difficult. But Herm is doing the right thing. Heís giving those players experience. Iím sure to some degree, some of those decisions are very tough. But he knows where he wants to go and what he needs to do to get there.
He will have one year left on his contract at the end of the season. Will he be coaching the Chiefs next season, and if so, will he receive a contract extension?
We havenít made those decisions. Something thatís true for all our personnel is we will evaluate that thoroughly at the end of the year. I donít feel that doing it in the middle of the year serves any purpose.
Is Carl Peterson doing a good job?
I think he is. Going back to our discussion about the scouting side working hand in hand with the coaching side, that really starts with Carl. Heís done a good job of overseeing that.
Have you made a decision on his future?

:mob: :mob:

tornadospotter
10-16-2008, 12:18 PM
< Previous page (http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/843090.html)
Next page > (http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/843090-p3.html)
(http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/843200.html)
I haven’t. I would give you the same answer with him that I gave you with Herm.
His contract also has one year left when this season is over. Have you had a discussion with him about what he wants to do?
When we re-signed Carl three years ago, he mentioned to me at the time that he planned to retire at the end of his contract. He and I have not had a specific discussion on that point, but I don’t have any reason to believe his desires have changed.
Do you regret not bringing in a few more veterans to stabilize the situation?
Our head coach has a mind-set of how he wants to go about the rebuilding process. It does not involve keeping players or signing players who are at the end of their career. Could some older players make the difference in one or two wins? The answer is probably yes. That probably doesn’t take the team in the direction of developing the core group of guys.
After the end of last season, you set out some expectations for this year’s team. One was that the Chiefs would be competitive for a playoff spot. Is it still reasonable to expect that?
It’s very hard to project out what this team will look like later in the season. I’d like to think they’ll get better as the year progresses. If you look back at other teams who have gone through similar rebuilding processes, they’ve had a very tough first half of the season followed by a second half where things really turned around, and I really think the Chiefs have that chance if Brodie (Croyle) can stay healthy. That’s going to be a big part of the equation.
If you want to point to something we’ve seen in the first five games, I would point to the New England game and the Denver game as examples of what the team can do. Hopefully we’ll see more of that type of effort and consistency as the season progresses and less of what we saw in Atlanta and Carolina.
You also mentioned wanting to see the many young players getting better. Are you seeing signs of that?
I am. It’s very hard with rookies who are all of five games into their careers to notice improvement from week one to week five. I think the coaches, who spend a lot of time looking at the tape, will tell you they can see that progress. I’ve certainly been pleasantly surprised with the play of Branden Albert, Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr. … Will they get better as the season goes on? I would certainly expect it. You can also look at a couple of players from the draft a couple of years ago, (Bernard) Pollard and (Jarrad) Page, just to pick the safeties. I think their level of play is improving. It’s good to see guys like Turk (McBride) and Tank (Tyler) earning some significant playing time.
You also wanted to see offensive improvement, but we haven’t seen that. Is it reasonable to expect a better offensive team as the season goes on?
Yes, with the caveat you always have to have on injuries. Last year, losing Larry (Johnson) for half the season hurt the performance down the stretch. Likewise, not having Brodie for most of the first five games this year has clearly hurt the offense. There have been some signs that the offense is better than it was a year ago, but you really have to reserve judgment on that until we’ve seen the team with Brodie at the helm for a number of weeks.
Was it a difficult decision for the Chiefs to at least investigate a trade for Tony Gonzalez?
I don’t think there’s any other player on the team we would have been willing to do this for. But Tony’s been such a big part of the Chiefs, such a terrific pro, that we felt the right thing to do was to see what kind of interest there was out there in him and see if there was a transaction that made sense for Tony and also made sense for the Chiefs. At the end of the day, there wasn’t.

Bike
10-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Sounds like to me that Clark has been mis-informed.
He may want to consider watching a Chiefs game, starting withChiefs/Titans this next sunday.

Darth CarlSatan
10-16-2008, 01:08 PM
It's a very neutral, close to the vest interview. And it's exactly what I would expect from him 5 games in.
There's nothing that can change this year, so why bother stirring the pot?

Bike
10-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Why not?? If you see something going from bad to worse, why not fix it?

Darth CarlSatan
10-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Why not?? If you see something going from bad to worse, why not fix it?

Because contractually, there's not a damn thing he can do about it.
Unless of course he want's to eat the money.
Do you forsee a high rollin' Red-Stater eating cash like that?
:D

Bike
10-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Because contractually, there's not a damn thing he can do about it.
Unless of course he want's to eat the money.
Do you forsee a high rollin' Red-Stater eating cash like that?
:D
Hey, whatever it takes to turn this franchise around. Otherwise, the Hunts will be losing more money in the long run due to diminishing ticket sales and television blackouts...

Sn@keIze
10-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Sounds like to me that Clark has been mis-informed.
He may want to consider watching a Chiefs game, starting withChiefs/Titans this next sunday.
Thats kind of what I was thinking.

I wish to god we could have an owner who is 100% devoted to the Chiefs.

Screw the Wizards ( sorry Wiz fans ) and screw whatever else hes got going.

Owning an NFL team is a full time job in itself.

Darth CarlSatan
10-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Hey, whatever it takes to turn this franchise around. Otherwise, the Hunts will be losing more money in the long run due to diminishing ticket sales and television blackouts...

This franchise does NOT practice nor understand the concept of "It takes money to make money".

hardcorechiefsfan
10-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Thats kind of what I was thinking.

I wish to god we could have an owner who is 100% devoted to the Chiefs.

Screw the Wizards ( sorry Wiz fans ) and screw whatever else hes got going.

Owning an NFL team is a full time job in itself.

Don't tell me that Clark has an interest in soccer??!?
I agree with you that "owning a NFL is a full time job".

Has anyone had a little chat with Clark?

Darth CarlSatan
10-17-2008, 12:28 AM

Post-Super Bowl IV, all these years later, it has been the fans and the fans alone who are responsible for creating and maintaining the Arrowhead Vibe that many other franchises covet.
Lamar may have built it, Jackson County may own part of it, but make NO mistake; we the fans are responsible for everything GREAT about One Arrowhead Drive.

If Clark Hunt will not step-up and do his part to take the Team to the next level(s), we need to step in and take Our House from him.
The 5 counties surrounding Arrowhead should come together, figure out a way to get everyone on board, put it to a general election vote, and assume command.
Yep; do it the Green Bay Way from that day forward.

tornadospotter
10-17-2008, 04:36 AM

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the Hunts own the wizards. I think.

Canada
10-17-2008, 09:02 AM
I've got an idea. How about if you just continue to act like you have never heard of negotiations.

I have in fact heard of contract negotiations. It is when a player and management try and agree on compensation for the players services.

What was The Chiefs' counter-offer again?

8.8 million for one year.

By the way, I'm not the one who hates CP. Ask DH. I don't particularly like him, but I am not one of those that is all over him about everything.

I am one of the few who is un-biased in that matter.

I have, however, met Jared Allen. He was joking back and fourth with fans. He was one of only two players that stayed past the required time for autograph signings. (Dante Hall being the other one.) And was the most friendly person (fans included) that I met over the course of that week. And I met him four times. Each time, he just as jovial as the last.

I am not denying that he was a fan favorite. I loved the guy, but he took the hard line and said if you franchise me now (in March) then I am gone. I believe they franchised LJ for a while before paying him $45 million did they not? I guess it is a patience issue.

In fact, I would guess (I hate that I didn't get to find out myself) that you are just f***ing like him. With the exception of alcohol, of course.

How are we different there? :bananen_smilies046:

But, since he asked The Chiefs, for more than a year, if he could stay, and was told no. I believe it was more of a case of him not getting his contract in March (when HE wanted it done. Somehow he is some back-stabbing traitor?

I have never claimed that he is a back stabbing traitor. I liked Jared, but realistically he was a two time loser with DUIs and facing a suspension. Why should he get his money right away? Why not take a year making a paltry 8.8 million and prove that he is over the problem. I have said that if his attitude is that he wants to leave then let him go and I will happily enjoy watching Dorsey and Albert play instead.

Bike
10-17-2008, 10:05 AM
If a player truely doesn't want to play here, you got to let em go. It happened for Allen, and he's happy for it. It didn't happen for Tony, and now he'll end a stellar hall-of-fame career on a sour note as a Chief. Even if Tony plays elsewhere after this year, it'll be hard forgettin' how he was treated his last year here.

chief31
10-18-2008, 11:54 AM
I have never claimed that he is a back stabbing traitor. I liked Jared, but realistically he was a two time loser with DUIs and facing a suspension. Why should he get his money right away? Why not take a year making a paltry 8.8 million and prove that he is over the problem. I have said that if his attitude is that he wants to leave then let him go and I will happily enjoy watching Dorsey and Albert play instead.

Fact is that they had already taken one-year making that decision. In which JA did more than they asked. He stayed out of trouble, showed up for every day of work and played hard.

If that 8.8 million that you bring up is the offer, then that includes letting The Vikings beat the offer. And, by the way, JA accepted The Chiefs' offer. (Not that a player can refuse anyway.)

Jared made an offer to remain here for years to come. Because regardless of pay, everyone wants their future to be secured past one year.

The Chiefs counter-offered by trading him.

LJ was never 'tagged'. He was under contract and just quit showing-up for work.

In fact, JA and LJ were both looking for more money that pre-season, and JA continued to work, and even shut-up when they told him that they would take care of him at the end of the season. Then the team changed their mind.

I don't mind that you aren't a fan of JA anymore. But he did not want to leave. He tried to stay. And The Chiefs got rid of him.

If a player truely doesn't want to play here, you got to let em go. It happened for Allen, and he's happy for it. It didn't happen for Tony, and now he'll end a stellar hall-of-fame career on a sour note as a Chief. Even if Tony plays elsewhere after this year, it'll be hard forgettin' how he was treated his last year here.

Jared Allen didn't want to go, he was traded.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-18-2008, 01:02 PM
I have no idea where you get your info but it is TOTALLY wrong!!! He wanted more than one year and that is the ONLY thing he was causing a stink about! He actually said the $8.8 was fine but the 1 year was not. I guess he was trying to get to 11 years as your beloved TG!! CP decided to TRADE HIM!!! He didn't ask to leave until they told him several times they wouldn't resign him to more years!!!

Drunker Hillbilly
10-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Fact is that they had already taken one-year making that decision. In which JA did more than they asked. He stayed out of trouble, showed up for every day of work and played hard.

If that 8.8 million that you bring up is the offer, then that includes letting The Vikings beat the offer. And, by the way, JA accepted The Chiefs' offer. (Not that a player can refuse anyway.)

Jared made an offer to remain here for years to come. Because regardless of pay, everyone wants their future to be secured past one year.

The Chiefs counter-offered by trading him.

LJ was never 'tagged'. He was under contract and just quit showing-up for work.

In fact, JA and LJ were both looking for more money that pre-season, and JA continued to work, and even shut-up when they told him that they would take care of him at the end of the season. Then the team changed their mind.

I don't mind that you aren't a fan of JA anymore. But he did not want to leave. He tried to stay. And The Chiefs got rid of him.

Jared Allen didn't want to go, he was traded.
Sorry chief31!! Didn't see your post before I started typing but it looks as if our posts are pretty close to the same. With the exception of my daily ribbing of the canadien one!!:D

Canada
10-18-2008, 01:07 PM
I have no idea where you get your info but it is TOTALLY wrong!!! He wanted more than one year and that is the ONLY thing he was causing a stink about! He actually said the $8.8 was fine but the 1 year was not. I guess he was trying to get to 11 years as your beloved TG!! CP decided to TRADE HIM!!! He didn't ask to leave until they told him several times they wouldn't resign him to more years!!!

Oh...so he did not have a 1 year 8.8 million dollar offer? Cause you say that I am wrong and then go ahead and say the same thing I just said. I know he wanted a long term contract but he also had off field problems and untimately did not get signed, but discussing things with you is useless.

Canada
10-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Sorry chief31!! Didn't see your post before I started typing but it looks as if our posts are pretty close to the same. With the exception of my daily ribbing of the canadien one!!:D

I don't want to make you look stupid but it is spelled Canadian. Learn to spell if you are going to make fun of someone intelligence. :sign0098:

m0ef0e
10-18-2008, 01:12 PM
I like to think that we let go of Jared because we saw the value in trading him while he was hot and nothing more. For the last 7 seasons in the NFL, the previous year's sack leader has seen a significant decline in production the following season. As inept as CP may seem, I'm sure he knows things like this.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Oh...so he did not have a 1 year 8.8 million dollar offer? Cause you say that I am wrong and then go ahead and say the same thing I just said. I know he wanted a long term contract but he also had off field problems and untimately did not get signed, but discussing things with you is useless. It will all ultimately lead to how great it is owning your own bar and having financial freedom and pedalling energy drinks on people. then I believe you will top it all off with some sort of articulate comment about how I could not possibly know anything cause I live 20 minutes north of the US border. I am not going to sit here and insult Americans cause most of the guys I have met are pretty cool, but it is douche bags like you that make the US the most hated country in the world. At least you contribute somehow.
Mr. Shed,
Did you read the part where I said "he said the $8.8 was fine"?

Drunker Hillbilly
10-18-2008, 01:16 PM
I don't want to make you look stupid but it is spelled Canadian. Learn to spell if you are going to make fun of someone intelligence college boy. :sign0098:
You got me!!! It's early in these here parts. I was drinkin for free all night last night so I'm a little off my game right now!!! One energy drink and I'll be great though!! Did I mention we are available in Canada now as well as 46 other countries?

Drunker Hillbilly
10-18-2008, 01:18 PM
I like to think that we let go of Jared because we saw the value in trading him while he was hot and nothing more. For the last 7 seasons in the NFL, the previous year's sack leader has seen a significant decline in production the following season. As inept as CP may seem, I'm sure he knows things like this.
I'm not sure what his numbers are this year but I would think your assesment of the drop in numbers is correct this year so far.

Canada
10-18-2008, 01:22 PM
You got me!!! It's early in these here parts. I was drinkin for free all night last night so I'm a little off my game right now!!! One energy drink and I'll be great though!! Did I mention we are available in Canada now as well as 46 other countries?

I wouldn't pay money for that crappy beer either! :bananen_smilies046:

Gald you found time to spam the site though!! :sign0098:

chief31
10-18-2008, 01:23 PM

Do these energy drinks taste like a combination of battery acid and vomit, as most do? :D

Canada
10-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Do these energy drinks taste like a combination of battery acid and vomit, as most do? :D

Just stay up late and watch DHs infomercial!! :lol:

Darth CarlSatan
10-18-2008, 01:31 PM
MOVIE OF THE WEEK:

Carl Peckerson is "The Gambler".
In a lame-a**ed remake of a God-Awful Kenny Rodgers song and movie( fried chicken NOT included ), Kansas City Chiefs General Mismanager Carlsatan Peckerson stars in this never-ending nightmare to all involved.
Running Time: 10 years too long.

SPOILER ALERT: He never wins and screws thousands out of a legitimate football team.