PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I'm saying this...

m0ef0e
10-15-2008, 02:12 PM
and I know I'm in the minority here, but I agree with Carl Peterson.

:sign0153::beer::drunkhb::drunkhb::drunkhb:

“I used as my measuring stick the fact that the New York Giants got a second and fifth round picks for Jeremy Shockey,” said Peterson of the July trade between the Giants and Saints. “Although he (Shockey) is five years younger, in my opinion he’s not as good and never will be as good as Tony Gonzalez."

Shockey has trouble staying healthy. Tony has missed only two starts in the last 10 seasons. Aside from all the records, Tony's consistency and reliability make him worth more than Shockey to any team in the league.

I'll be honest in the fact that I wanted to see Tony traded. I would hate to see him in another jersey but he definitely deserves to have a shot at a title before he retires. As a fan of Tony's, I want him to be happy and wish him only the best, moving forward.

However, the Chiefs can not screw themselves for the sake of one player's happiness-- not even Tony Gonzalez.

hardcorechiefsfan
10-15-2008, 03:19 PM

“I used as my measuring stick the fact that the New York Giants got a second and fifth round picks for Jeremy Shockey,” said Peterson of the July trade between the Giants and Saints. “Although he (Shockey) is five years younger, in my opinion he’s not as good and never will be as good as Tony Gonzalez."

Shockey has trouble staying healthy. Tony has missed only two starts in the last 10 seasons. Aside from all the records, Tony's consistency and reliability make him worth more than Shockey to any team in the league.

I'll be honest in the fact that I wanted to see Tony traded. I would hate to see him in another jersey but he definitely deserves to have a shot at a title before he retires. As a fan of Tony's, I want him to be happy and wish him only the best, moving forward.

However, the Chiefs can not screw themselves for the sake of one player's happiness-- not even Tony Gonzalez.

You agree with keeping Tony or what? I don't understand your point in this post.
The only part I understand and agree with is the fact that you "would hate to see Tony in another jersey but he deserves to have a shot at a title before he retires".

How can you agree with Carl? Explain.

Three7s
10-15-2008, 03:22 PM
You agree with keeping Tony or what? I don't understand your point in this post.
The only part I understand and agree with is the fact that you "would hate to see Tony in another jersey but he deserves to have a shot at a title before he retires".

How can you agree with Carl? Explain.
He agrees with Carl's measuring stick of trading TG. The Giants compared him to Shockey, and we all know that TG is better than him.

m0ef0e
10-15-2008, 03:32 PM
He agrees with Carl's measuring stick of trading TG. The Giants compared him to Shockey, and we all know that TG is better than him.

Exactly. I would have liked to see Tony go somewhere where he can be happy and for us to get some good picks. I did not want to see us blow him out at a fire sale price with us not getting true value out of the best TE in NFL history. The situation didn't work out the way I wanted or the way that it could/should have. But we are no worse-off having Tony around for the remainder of the season and Tony can go somewhere and be happy next year. Tony's a patient guy (just look how long he's put up with CP) and he will not turn into a cancer in the locker room.

wolfpack
10-15-2008, 03:58 PM

BAD thing is the chiefs DID screw themselfs for one person,,,,Hermmie. the gave a 4th for him.

m0ef0e
10-15-2008, 04:07 PM
BAD thing is the chiefs DID screw themselfs for one person,,,,Hermmie. the gave a 4th for him.

:lol: Yup. CP definitely sucks and has made endless blunders. I agree with everybody and their mom in the fact that he needs to go. It was just so weird to see him say something that didn't piss me off.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-15-2008, 04:43 PM
5 years is a BIG deal in this league! Should have taken what they were giving if not only to say thanks to TG.

m0ef0e
10-15-2008, 04:57 PM
5 years is a BIG deal in this league! Should have taken what they were giving if not only to say thanks to TG.

I would rather have a healthy, productive player for 2 years at the end of his career than a younger injury-waiting-to-happen for 5.

I think a 3rd round pick is not enough (at best, it is borderline). A 4th round pick is just insulting to Tony and the organization.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-15-2008, 05:04 PM
I would rather have a healthy, productive player for 2 years at the end of his career than a younger injury-waiting-to-happen for 5.

I think a 3rd round pick is not enough (at best, it is borderline). A 4th round pick is just insulting to Tony and the organization.
I understand your measuring stick but TG won't be here for 2 more years. He is D U N as a Chief. I think he would rather retire and then come out of retirement just to stick it to CP at this point!! Let's face it, TG can't do anything to help this team this year so CP should have got what he could now as opposed to less later IMO.

m0ef0e
10-15-2008, 05:12 PM
I understand your measuring stick but TG won't be here for 2 more years. He is D U N as a Chief. I think he would rather retire and then come out of retirement just to stick it to CP at this point!! Let's face it, TG can't do anything to help this team this year so CP should have got what he could now as opposed to less later IMO.

I agree that Tony will probably be gone next year. I was saying that from the perspective of a team that may be interested in Tony. But you're wrong about Tony not helping the team this year. He will show these young guys how a pro's pro deals with adversity and distractions. Yes, there's a chance we will get screwed out of getting picks for him through an offseason trade and I would love to see Tony get a shot at a title. But make no mistake that I am also glad to see him still in a Chiefs jersey. I will appreciate every game that I get to watch Tony in a Chiefs uniform for the rest of the year and hope that Brodie can get a little something going to at least make the games somewhat fun for Gonzo.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-15-2008, 05:28 PM
I agree that Tony will probably be gone next year. I was saying that from the perspective of a team that may be interested in Tony. But you're wrong about Tony not helping the team this year. He will show these young guys how a pro's pro deals with adversity and distractions. Yes, there's a chance we will get screwed out of getting picks for him through an offseason trade and I would love to see Tony get a shot at a title. But make no mistake that I am also glad to see him still in a Chiefs jersey. I will appreciate every game that I get to watch Tony in a Chiefs uniform for the rest of the year and hope that Brodie can get a little something going to at least make the games somewhat fun for Gonzo.
My personal opinion is that these guys are just going through the motions at this point. Game 6 and they know the season is over for them. They know the GM sucks, the coach sucks and the owner is only concerned with remodeling the stadium. I think their main goal (players) is to not get hurt. Weird what losing does to a persons mind.The young guys may witness how to deal with adversity but make no mistake about it, they ALL know and have heard how pissed of TG is.

Sn@keIze
10-15-2008, 05:38 PM

Gotta disagree with ya here.

Having two 3rd rounds picks wouldve been awesome.

Besided we owing it to TG.

didnt we get Floweres last year in teh 3rd?

The Bills offered a 3rd and are a SB contender. CP shouldve respected TGs wishes and sent him there.

m0ef0e
10-15-2008, 06:11 PM
While it would be nice to have two picks in the third round, the greatest tight end in the history of the NFL is worth more than a third round pick to me, personally.

Maybe we do owe it to Tony to just let him go for a rubber band and a bag of peanuts if that's what he wants. Call me selfish but I'm still glad we didn't do it.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-15-2008, 06:31 PM
The bottom line is that it was another idiotic move on CP's part to re sign TG to a $35 million contract when he knew he was not all that happy in the first place. They will get something for him in the offseason but not as much as they could have yesterday.

chief31
10-16-2008, 10:48 AM

Agreed. Unless this teams finds a way to turn it around, he is wasting away here.

No value for the team. No value for TG.

Three7s
10-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Agreed. Unless this teams finds a way to turn it around, he is wasting away here.

No value for the team. No value for TG.
This team won't turn it around until we get a competent MLB, another guard, and OT. Then, MAYBE, our defense will be better and we'll get better blocking. Another outside LB is optional.

Seek
10-16-2008, 01:03 PM

But Shockey probably has 5 more years left. TG probably has 11 games left, after the failed attempt to trade him.

It is pretty clear that TG broke all Shannon Sharpes record but Shannon still has the ring to hold over him. Tony has a goal left that he can't accomplish with KC.

All Herm did was piss off another player trying to be a tough GM.

Seek
10-16-2008, 01:06 PM
While it would be nice to have two picks in the third round, the greatest tight end in the history of the NFL is worth more than a third round pick to me, personally.

Maybe we do owe it to Tony to just let him go for a rubber band and a bag of peanuts if that's what he wants. Call me selfish but I'm still glad we didn't do it.

Well to add to your value of Tony. A third round pick to a conetender is essentially a fourth rounder because you know it will be a later 3rd.

Still, anything is better than nothing at this point, because I think Carl burnt his bridge with TG and this will be his last year as a Chief, come trade or retirement.

m0ef0e
10-16-2008, 01:46 PM
There's been a few other things come to light regarding this:

On NFL.com, Adam Schefter says in his blog that Tony turned down going to the Bills for a 3rd round pick. I don't know the validity of this or how he may know this. It's just what he said.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

The Kansas City Star ran an article stating that the Chiefs would have traded Tony to the Packers for a 3rd round pick but the Packers wanted too many conditions and stipulations that could hurt the Chiefs had Tony not finished his contract.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/843198.html

Sn@keIze
10-16-2008, 02:25 PM

On NFL.com, Adam Schefter says in his blog that Tony turned down going to the Bills for a 3rd round pick. I don't know the validity of this or how he may know this. It's just what he said.

The Kansas City Star ran an article stating that the Chiefs would have traded Tony to the Packers for a 3rd round pick but the Packers wanted too many conditions and stipulations that could hurt the Chiefs had Tony not finished his contract.

Hmmmm...interesting read.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-16-2008, 03:26 PM

ESPN was reporting this morning that the Packers were so sure that the deal was done for TG, they had already faxed the paper work into the NFL and 10 mins. before the deadline CP said he wanted a 2nd round pick!!!

Seek
10-16-2008, 05:09 PM
ESPN was reporting this morning that the Packers were so sure that the deal was done for TG, they had already faxed the paper work into the NFL and 10 mins. before the deadline CP said he wanted a 2nd round pick!!!

Yes, but part two of that previous post, was that the Chiefs would owe the Packers picks in future years if TG didn't finish out his contract over the next 3.5 years.

That is a good enough reason for him to back out. Essentially that 3rd rounder could become equivelant to a 7th rounder if TG retired after next year.

I have no doubt Carl increased the offer after thinking about it. I would.

I still hate Carl. I think we will end up losing TG after the year with nothing.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Yes, but part two of that previous post, was that the Chiefs would owe the Packers picks in future years if TG didn't finish out his contract over the next 3.5 years.

That is a good enough reason for him to back out. Essentially that 3rd rounder could become equivelant to a 7th rounder if TG retired after next year.

I have no doubt Carl increased the offer after thinking about it. I would.

I still hate Carl. I think we will end up losing TG after the year with nothing.
Wouldn't surprise me a bit.