PDA

View Full Version : Priest is gone for the year!



Old_admin
11-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Priest is gone for the year. Read more here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-holmes&prov=ap&type=lgns

Looks like LJ is going to have to carry the load.

Chiefster
11-09-2005, 10:01 PM
admin wrote:
Priest is gone for the year. Read more here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chiefs-holmes&prov=ap&type=lgns

Looks like LJ is going to have to carry the load.

This is sad, but I'd rather see Holms walk away from the game then wheel away from it. He is going to be greatly missed, and I do hope he can come back next year and retire on his own terms. Chiefs fans need to throw in their support for LJ in spite of his off field antics and comments and hope he begins to mature on and off the field.

Old_admin
11-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Has Priest hinted on whether or not he would come back next year?

Chiefster
11-09-2005, 10:12 PM
admin wrote:
Has Priest hinted on whether or not he would come back next year?

Not that I know of, just wishful thinking on my part.

Chiefster
11-09-2005, 10:26 PM
RB Holmes placed on injured reserve, will miss rest of season

By DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer
November 9, 2005
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes will miss the rest of the season because of head and neck trauma diagnosed by three experts on spinal injuries.

A helmet-to-helmet blow he absorbed on Oct. 30 against San Diego was the most recent problem for the 32-year-old running back. But coach Dick Vermeil said Wednesday signs of trouble first showed up when Holmes developed tingling in his hands during training camp.

Holmes, 32, a three-time Pro Bowler whose 66 touchdowns between 2002-2004 are an NFL record for any three-year span, was placed on injured reserve. Doctors had recommended he avoid any contact at all for a minimum of 30 days.

ADVERTISEMENT


He is not incapacitated and no surgery is planned, said general manager Carl Peterson.

``It's a head trauma and a neck trauma that has affected the cervical area of his spine,'' Peterson said. ``But he's not incapacitated. There's no reason for surgery.''

A statement from Dr. Jon Browne, the Chiefs' team physician, said no permanent damage had occurred either to the head or neck and that Holmes would be re-evaluated in 30 days.

Peterson also said doctors were not concerned about the possibility of paralysis should Holmes continue playing, and that Holmes indicated he planned to resume his career next season.

Injuries have caused the Chiefs' career rushing leader to cut short two of his last three seasons. But he has shown flashes of his old self while rushing for 451 yards and six touchdowns on 119 carries. He also has 21 catches for 197 yards, including a 60-yard catch-and-run for a touchdown in a victory over Washington on Oct. 16.

``We're going to miss him,'' Vermeil said. ``He's more than a football player for this organization.''

Vermeil said there seemed no reason for undue concern when Holmes experienced the tingling in training camp.

``We did know he started getting what we say `burners' once in a while, a tingling in his fingers from some hits, which are very, very common,'' Vermeil said. ``Guys get burners in the first quarter and play the rest of the game. But he had never experienced that in his career.

``Then I think the blow to the head in San Diego stimulated more concern. It wasn't a true concussion, but he did get knocked dizzy.''

The Chiefs will now turn to Holmes' backup, Larry Johnson, who has averaged 5.2 yards per carry, with 506 yards on 97 attempts. Johnson had two touchdowns in the 27-23 victory Sunday over Oakland, including a 1-yard vault on the final play of the game. He has frequently complained he was not being given enough carries. Johnson rushed for 541 yards and nine touchdowns while Holmes sat out the final six games last year.

``Larry Johnson has already carried the load. He knows he can do it,'' Vermeil said. ``He just doesn't have a Priest Holmes backing him up like he backed up Priest Holmes.''

Holmes missed last week's game against Oakland and in the past two weeks has seen spinal-injury specialists in California and Florida. Speculation had been rampant he would be out for an extended period, although the Chiefs (5-3) said they were hopeful he would soon return to the lineup.

``We're going to miss him,'' said defensive end Jared Allen. ``We love him. But he's got to do what's best for him personally. Head injuries can be tricky things.''

Earlier Wednesday, the team denied the injury would lead to Holmes' retirement. Television station KSHB reported Wednesday that doctors found a lump on Holmes' spine and were concerned about possible paralysis should he take a direct hit. Citing a highly placed source it didn't identify, the station said Holmes could announce his retirement as soon as Thursday.

But both the team and an employee at the firm run by Holmes' agent, Todd France, rejected suggestions Holmes would retire because of the injury.

``All the speculation, television, the media throwing things out all shook him up,'' Vermeil said of Holmes. ``Someone said he had a tumor on his spine. He thought it was very unfair.''

Kcon82
11-11-2005, 09:22 AM
Its time for LJ to shine. I love Priest. He is one of the best backs the NFL has ever seen. But Im ready for the torch to be passed. Lets go grandmama

Chiefster
11-12-2005, 02:50 AM
Kcon82 wrote:


Its time for LJ to shine. I love Priest. He is one of the best backs the NFL has ever seen. But Im ready for the torch to be passed. Lets go grandmama


I think Priest will more than likely be back next year, but it may well be time to pass down the mantle.

Chiefster
05-31-2006, 10:14 AM
Chiefster wrote:
Kcon82 wrote:


Its time for LJ to shine. I love Priest. He is one of the best backs the NFL has ever seen. But Im ready for the torch to be passed. Lets go grandmama


I think Priest will more than likely be back next year, but it may well be time to pass down the mantle.


┬ůSince there is a question as to weather or not Priest will return. I thought I would bump this to the front of the class for further discussion. Since I posted that I felt Priest would return I have had time, obviously, to reflect given what little news has come out about him and I'm much less inclined to believe that he will be back, or if he does play it will not be with the Chiefs. Is there anyone here with a dissenting point of view?

slag02
05-31-2006, 11:09 AM
i think we see priest dance around in training camp... start the season on PuP and then moved to IR followed by his retirement at the end of the year...

Chiefster
05-31-2006, 01:19 PM
Welcome aboard slag, good to see ya here. :-)

Chiefster
05-31-2006, 01:20 PM
slag02 wrote:
i think we see priest dance around in training camp... start the season on PuP and then moved to IR followed by his retirement at the end of the year...


Yeah I think you're probably right.

Guru
05-31-2006, 04:44 PM
slag02 wrote:
i think we see priest dance around in training camp... start the season on PuP and then moved to IR followed by his retirement at the end of the year...


That makes more sense than anything coming out of the Chiefs PR machine.

Chiefster
06-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Definitely

Halfcan
06-13-2006, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't count PH out yet-I think he will be back if he is cleared medically.

Chiefster
06-13-2006, 12:48 AM
Halfcan wrote:
I wouldn't count PH out yet-I think he will be back if he is cleared medically.

Yeah, but will it be with the Chiefs??? It would be awsome to see him and LJ in the backfield together. I think Holmes would also be great in goal line and short yardage situations.

Guru
06-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Chiefster wrote:


Halfcan wrote:
I wouldn't count PH out yet-I think he will be back if he is cleared medically.

Yeah, but will it be with the Chiefs??? It would be awsome to see him and LJ in the backfield together. I think Holmes would also be great in goal line and short yardage situations.

IF, and I mean IF, Priest plays, I hope Herm is smart enough to use him in short yardage situations.

Chiefster
06-13-2006, 01:25 AM
Guru wrote:


Chiefster wrote:


Halfcan wrote:
I wouldn't count PH out yet-I think he will be back if he is cleared medically.

Yeah, but will it be with the Chiefs??? It would be awsome to see him and LJ in the backfield together. I think Holmes would also be great in goal line and short yardage situations.

IF, and I mean IF, Priest plays, I hope Herm is smart enough to use him in short yardage situations.

Same here; a part of me still hopes he does retire rather then injure himself beyond repair. There's no doubt that there is a neurological concern there.

Guru
06-13-2006, 01:39 AM
Chiefster wrote:

Same here; a part of me still hopes he does retire rather then injure himself beyond repair. There's no doubt that there is a neurological concern there.

Bet that just gave you a neurological concern of your own!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Chiefster
06-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Guru wrote:


Chiefster wrote:

Same here; a part of me still hopes he does retire rather then injure himself beyond repair. There's no doubt that there is a neurological concern there.

Bet that just gave you a neurological concern of your own!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:


My head is pounding! And, those hammers aren't helping. :-P

Guru
06-13-2006, 01:48 AM
:lol: :lol:

How about this...

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

Chiefster
06-13-2006, 02:01 AM
Oh yeah, that's so much better! :roll:


Hey I accidentally lost the link to those smilies; could ya send it to me again?

Guru
06-13-2006, 02:04 AM
I will do one better and let the entire Crowd have it.

http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/index.html?

Chiefster
06-13-2006, 02:19 AM
Guru wrote:
I will do one better and let the entire Crowd have it.

http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/index.html?

Thanks buddy; I gottem book marked. I kinda like this one.

http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/allhail.gif

Guru
06-13-2006, 02:25 AM
Chiefster wrote:


Guru wrote:
I will do one better and let the entire Crowd have it.

http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/index.html?

Thanks buddy; I gottem book marked. I kinda like this one.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

Great. He has CP syndrome.

Chiefster
06-13-2006, 02:31 AM
Guru wrote:


Chiefster wrote:


Guru wrote:
I will do one better and let the entire Crowd have it.

http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/index.html?

Thanks buddy; I gottem book marked. I kinda like this one.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/




Great. He has CP syndrome.


Well yeah!!!

I think this is a great "Crowd" smilie:
http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/crowd.gif

Guru
06-13-2006, 02:41 AM
Chiefster wrote:

Well yeah!!!

I think this is a great "Crowd" smilie:
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

We just need that to be full of "arrowheads" now.

Chiefster
06-13-2006, 02:45 AM
Guru wrote:


Chiefster wrote:

Well yeah!!!

I think this is a great "Crowd" smilie:
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

We just need that to be full of "arrowheads" now.

Yep; what cuaght my eye was that this particular smilie was named "crowd" :-D

Guru
06-13-2006, 03:05 AM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

Now this is a crowd.

Chiefster
06-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Guru wrote:


http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

Now this is a crowd.

There ya go! :-D

TrebMaxx
06-23-2006, 05:16 PM
I will really be suprised to see Priest back. But I thought the same thing with the hip injury.

Chiefster
06-24-2006, 02:12 AM
Welcome TrebMaxx!

Ofcourse most anything is possible, but I really do feel that Priest is done. Although I would love to be wrong and see him back in the KC Red going strong along with LJ.

Stop by our "Introduce Yourself..." forum and tell us a bit about ya. :-)

Guru
06-27-2006, 12:45 AM
TrebMaxx wrote:
I will really be suprised to see Priest back. But I thought the same thing with the hip injury.

I see it the same way as the hip injury. I will believe it when I see it. :hammer:

Chiefster
06-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Guru wrote:


TrebMaxx wrote:
I will really be suprised to see Priest back. But I thought the same thing with the hip injury.

I see it the same way as the hip injury. I will believe it when I see it. :hammer:

I see it more as his neurological problems, as to why he will probably not be back. IMO.

Guru
06-27-2006, 01:09 AM
Well, duh!!! :lol:

Chiefster
06-27-2006, 02:37 AM
Guru wrote:
Well, duh!!! :lol:


http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/tongue.gif

Guru
06-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Chiefster wrote:


Guru wrote:
Well, duh!!! :lol:


http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/tongue.gif

Did you mean this....

http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/tongue.gif

It is called the Image button. Learn it. Use it. Love it. errr wait. LOL

Chiefster
06-27-2006, 03:25 AM
...Live it. :lol: http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

Halfcan
08-22-2006, 10:40 PM
So long Priest-we will miss ya!!

Chiefster
08-23-2006, 12:48 AM
Halfcan wrote:
So long Priest-we will miss ya!!

I haven't heard; did he go ahead and retire?

Guru
08-26-2006, 02:39 AM
This team has a priest on it? :-? :-D

Chiefster
08-26-2006, 07:03 AM
Guru wrote:
This team has a priest on it? :-? :-D


It's gonna need one. :lol: