PDA

View Full Version : Should We Draft a QB Next Year?

20yardline
10-19-2008, 12:30 AM
With the talent we have at wide receiver in Dwayne Bowe and at tight end with Gonzo, should the Chiefs draft a QB early in the first round next season?

If so, who are the top college prospects that might fit our offense? In my opinion, Croyle is not the long term answer. Thoughts?

Three7s
10-19-2008, 12:33 AM
With the talent we have at wide receiver in Dwayne Bowe and at tight end with Gonzo, should the Chiefs draft a QB early in the first round next season?

If so, who are the top college prospects that might fit our offense? In my opinion, Croyle is not the long term answer. Thoughts?
Obviously, we need to draft a QB, I'm just not so sure who. Quite a few good ones out there, but it's hard to tell who would fit in with our offense. Stafford is my choice because he's already dealing with a bad O-line, so he'd know what to expect! He has a cannon for an arm, as well.

hardcorechiefsfan
10-19-2008, 12:40 AM

I'm thinking "Why waste a draft choice on a QB when we know the youth will still be in toddler stage next season." Build up the defense and O-line first.

Forget Croyle, I think Thigpen has possibilities. Since the 3 stooges(Clark, Carl, Hermie) are content to for this to be a practice season let's let next season be a practice season for the kids to get better.

chiefskid90
10-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Plain and simple, we can't have it all next year. We have to decide if a QB is important or if focusing on other areas is more important.The run defense needs alot of improvement. In my opinion I say focus on going into a game and producing results. There's talent there, just needs tightening up.

hardcorechiefsfan
10-19-2008, 01:40 AM
We have to decide if a QB is important or if focusing on other areas is more important.The run defense needs alot of improvement. In my opinion I say focus on going into a game and producing results. There's talent there, just needs tightening up.

I say we need to draft defense and possibly a kicker that can kick a 3-pointer from farther away than the 30-47 yard line. In fact, the chiefs need someone out there that is going to high school and colleges keeping an eye on kickers. Remember Denver's kicker? He is a great kicker, such distance.

I'm sure that you are right about the talent, but its like they don't care. Maybe they weren't meant to be NFL players because NFL is very demanding. Not all have the spirit and knack.

chiefskid90
10-19-2008, 04:17 AM
I say we need to draft defense and possibly a kicker that can kick a 3-pointer from farther away than the 30-47 yard line. In fact, the chiefs need someone out there that is going to high school and colleges keeping an eye on kickers. Remember Denver's kicker? He is a great kicker, such distance.

I'm sure that you are right about the talent, but its like they don't care. Maybe they weren't meant to be NFL players because NFL is very demanding. Not all have the spirit and knack.

I think part of them not caring has to do with the fact that they are new. They are diggin the pay check, the popularity. The priority isn't football to them. I think that's the problem. They are rookies. They haven't played enough to understand that maybe. That was going out on a limb, but it sounds plausible.

milkman
10-19-2008, 10:09 AM
QB is the most important position on the field, and we have crap at that position.

Matt Stafford will be considered a better prospect going into next year's draft than Matt Ryan was in the last draft.

He plays on a Georgia team that has a bad O-Line, and receivers that can't get separation.

He makes throws into tight windows, moves well in and out of the pocket, has the measurables that you want, and is a leader.

He almost singlehandedly is responsible for Georgia's top ten ranking.

If we have a shot at him, you don't pass on him.

slc chief
10-19-2008, 11:49 AM
i think we absoulutly have to take a qb first pick we would be dumb not to look what matt ryan is doing and joe flacco i would like to see qb,de,og,wr,lb,og,k i take a guard in the second if there is any worth taking that high or right tackle definantly need a fresh lb imo well lets just say we need alot definantly the oline and qb position need some serious attention

PawnshopMarimba
10-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Take care of the offensive line first, THEN draft a quarterback.

I was going to explain this further, but as I was typing this, Brodie Croyle got hurt AGAIN.. there's your reason. No quarterback's going to succeed in the NFL without an offensive line.

Edit: Croyle, on the other hand, is THE most injury prone player I've ever seen and it's time to cut our losses with him. So.. one more season with Huard, get the line, draft a QB, release Croyle. In that order.

Pro_Angler
10-19-2008, 01:52 PM
we will draft o-line, runningback, Wr, and linebackers

slc chief
10-19-2008, 01:54 PM
did brodie answer the question for you

PawnshopMarimba
10-19-2008, 02:00 PM
He is obviously not the future, and we obviously need a new QB, I'm just not sure we should take one YET, unless we can acquire some REAL O-line talent in free agency.... but we're not going to do that. Herm thinks veteran players are evil.

KottkeKU
10-19-2008, 02:21 PM
ok, brodie is done and even he knows it now. (you could tell by the look on his face after he got injured AGAIN)....although i actually knew this was going to happen...was anyone actually surprised when he went down? im surprised he lasted through the first quarter...

on the other hand i dont think we need to draft a qb with our first round pick. we all know what herm wants to do...RUN. you dont NEED a 1st round talent to hand it off 30 times a game...although it certainly cant hurt...we need someone who is a leader first, accurate, doesnt turn the ball over, and can stay on the field under our weak OL...

simply put. for the upcming draft in april, i think we should go MLB (Maualuga is perfect for KC) top 5, then draft an OL or QB second round (i would take the OL) and look for a QB/OL whichever we didnt get after that or via trade (Kevin Kolb?)

Herm has put so much front end talent on the DEF side of the ball, i dont see any reason to change here. our DEF is still terrible, and we are only a MLB and OLB away from having a pretty stout DEF in a few years when they gain some experience...then we can finally start rebuilding the offenseive side of the ball...

thanks for nothing Brodie :( Stafford would be nice, but i dont think he is worthy of a top 5 overall pick...its hard to land a QB, we might have to pull a cleveland browns thing and trade some picks to land two 1st rounders (Stafford as one of them). Stafford has such an accurate pass, and he is a great leader. he would be a great fit in KC i think...

PawnshopMarimba
10-19-2008, 02:22 PM
It's too bad, too. Brodie was actually looking decent in the 45 seconds he's been on the field this season.

slc chief
10-19-2008, 02:28 PM
ok, brodie is done and even he knows it now. (you could tell by the look on his face after he got injured AGAIN)....although i actually knew this was going to happen...was anyone actually surprised when he went down? im surprised he lasted through the first quarter...

on the other hand i dont think we need to draft a qb with our first round pick. we all know what herm wants to do...RUN. you dont need a 1st round talent to hand it off 30 times a game...we need someone who is a leader, accurate, doesnt turn the ball over, and can stay on the field under our weak OL...

simply put. for the upcming draft in april, i think we should go MLB (Maualuga is perfect for KC) top 5, then draft an OL or QB second round (i would take the OL) and look for a QB/OL whichever we didnt get after that or via trade (Kevin Kolb?)

Herm has put so much front end talent on the DEF side of the ball, i dont see any reason to change here. our DEF is still terrible, and we are only a MLB and OLB away from having a pretty stout DEF in a few years when they gain some experience...then we can finally start rebuilding the offenseive side of the ball...

thanks for nothing Brodie :(

totaly disagree get a good quarter back in here asap this is just a joke and get rid of herm the faLCONS DOLPHINS AND RAMS ALL got new coaches and look how much further ahead in the rebuilding process they are than us this is a freaking joke you would be suprised how much better a defense can play when there not always on the freaking field

Darth CarlSatan
10-19-2008, 03:01 PM
QB is the most important position on the field, and we have crap at that position.

Matt Stafford will be considered a better prospect going into next year's draft than Matt Ryan was in the last draft.

He plays on a Georgia team that has a bad O-Line, and receivers that can't get separation.

He makes throws into tight windows, moves well in and out of the pocket, has the measurables that you want, and is a leader.

I am in 100% complete agreement. There's no one in the 12 that can play in the NFL, and SEC guys are, more often than not, TOUGH.
Croyle being the exception of course.
I'd still be willing to give Ray from USC a look as a LB, but Sanchez has crumbled.

"Should We Draft A QB Next Year"?
Does Herm Edwards coach like sh*t and speak gibberish?

rustfan76
10-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I think we should go after Juice Williams from Illinois, if he opts for the NFL. He is a big , physical, mobile quarterback with an accurate arm. And with the O-line problems a big mobile qb would be a nice fit. JMO

Darth CarlSatan
10-19-2008, 04:24 PM
I think we should go after Juice Williams from Illinois, if he opts for the NFL. He is a big , physical, mobile quarterback with an accurate arm. And with the O-line problems a big mobile qb would be a nice fit. JMO

Can you post his numbers for the year so far? And how does his O-Line stack up comparatively with what he would face coming in to KC?

I've said it a million times:

When it comes to a prospective QB for KC, the arm is the LAST THING I LOOK AT.
Can he scramble/run?
Can he throw accurately ON the run?
Is he tough or injury prone?
What is his injury history?
Is he a competitor and a leader who commands respect from his team mates?
And so on and so forth...

Bradford, McCoy, and Daniel have great arms.
Bradford, McCoy, and Daniel would get KILLED in this league.
NO MORE TOOTHPICKS WITH "GREAT ARMS"; BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.

ENOUGH!

hardcorechiefsfan
10-19-2008, 04:28 PM

BINGO! That is an excellent idea. Next season they may not be as crappy as this season but it doesn't make sense to waste draft choices on a QB just yet.

Maybe we should pick 2 QB's because Thigpen will need 2 back-ups at least :lol:

Darth CarlSatan
10-19-2008, 04:40 PM
BINGO! That is an excellent idea. Next season they may not be as crappy as this season but it doesn't make sense to waste draft choices on a QB just yet.

Julie and Angler,

I'm sorry, but we can NOT let that position go by again; we don't have anyone left. Huard(now injured), Thigpen(erratic at best), and Martin aren't even close to being "The Answer".

As it looks today, we will have a fistful of cards to play with in New York.
First-round pick is a QB, or just don't even bother showing up.
Get a QB, then start picking linemen, linebackers, and one more Tight End.

I promise you will be AMAZED at what our Tight Ends and Receiver Corps( as they stand RIGHT NOW )can and will accomplish with a great QB who has PROTECTION.

Bike
10-19-2008, 05:05 PM

Carl and Herm will pass on Stafford. Why? Because they are football illiterate, moronic, idiotic stupidheads.

leaves
10-19-2008, 05:14 PM
I would love to grab Stafford, but someone like Juice Williams would actually fit our rebuilding process better. It seems wrong to just use a mobile qb just til you hav a pocket, but any draft qb could prob do better than where we at.

nigeriannightmare
10-19-2008, 05:30 PM
I got a dollar that says Vinnie Testaverde will be in KC this week for a meeting. If a quarterback is available I hope they'll take the chance to draft him, but we have a lot of needs and I am really digging that LB from USC.

Darth CarlSatan
10-19-2008, 05:37 PM
I would love to grab Stafford, but someone like Juice Williams would actually fit our rebuilding process better. It seems wrong to just use a mobile qb just til you hav a pocket, but any draft qb could prob do better than where we at.

Mobility is NEVER a deficiency, and I will take a mobile QB with a lesser arm than a pocket-squatter with a Great One. Every time.

No "Grossman's" please...

20yardline
10-20-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm thinking "Why waste a draft choice on a QB when we know the youth will still be in toddler stage next season." Build up the defense and O-line first.

Forget Croyle, I think Thigpen has possibilities. Since the 3 stooges(Clark, Carl, Hermie) are content to for this to be a practice season let's let next season be a practice season for the kids to get better.

Good point. Games are won in the trenches, and the demise of the team is related to great offensive lineman who have retired.

I would especially agree with you if there isn't a real Franchise QB available. That term gets thrown around too much.

chief31
10-20-2008, 04:10 AM
Julie and Angler,

I'm sorry, but we can NOT let that position go by again; we don't have anyone left. Huard(now injured), Thigpen(erratic at best), and Martin aren't even close to being "The Answer".

As it looks today, we will have a fistful of cards to play with in New York.
First-round pick is a QB, or just don't even bother showing up.
Get a QB, then start picking linemen, linebackers, and one more Tight End.

I promise you will be AMAZED at what our Tight Ends and Receiver Corps( as they stand RIGHT NOW )can and will accomplish with a great QB who has PROTECTION.

I could care less about a QB, if we don't put the o-line as the top priority. The QB will just be another slab without protection.

But we can just continue the Herm Edwrads approach to O-line assembly, and shove whatever garbage we can scrape-off of the waiver wires and continue our musical QB game with some big name rookie to throw to the wolves.

Give me the O-line, and we will produce a QB and a HB.

slimdagreat
10-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Drafting a QB in the top 5 (which is where we'll pick next year) isn't going to change that awful OL.

I say they draft Michael Ohor the OT or Andre Smith out of Bama who can play LG next to Albert and shore up that side of the line.

After that if Alex Mack from Cal the Center is still available in the 2nd they HAVE to draft him, otherwise Marcus Freeman the LB should be the obvious pick here.

Sure its not the sexy thing to take 2 OL back to back, but next to QB this is the biggest hole we have, and I can deal with Croyle starting next year

Seek
10-20-2008, 09:19 AM

No way. I have only watched Juice Williams play a couple of times, but there is no way I would even waste a first day pick on him. We would be better off trading for Vince Young.

jtandcrew
10-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Short and sweet answer! YES, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY DRAFT A QB THAT IS WORTH A DAMNED! Just make sure he is a worth a first day pick to start and not be a first day pick to be a back-up!

Darth CarlSatan
10-20-2008, 01:27 PM
I could care less about a QB, if we don't put the o-line as the top priority. The QB will just be another slab without protection.

But we can just continue the Herm Edwrads approach to O-line assembly, and shove whatever garbage we can scrape-off of the waiver wires and continue our musical QB game with some big name rookie to throw to the wolves.

Give me the O-line, and we will produce a QB and a HB.

As I stated before, we'll have TONS of options come draft day.
PLENTY to go around. Get the QB, and well STILL be above everyone else.
Yep; our play right now is THAT bad.
We'll be holding every card in the deck.

bamachum
10-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Draft Andre Smith or maybe Michael Oher with the first round pick. There are plenty of Jeff Garcia's, Jon Kitna's, or Kerry Collins' out there that can manage for a year or two until a "franchise QB is found." Draft LB in the 2nd round. WR in the 3rd.

Brodie Croyle's condition should be proof that and OL is needed to compete in the NFL. Remember Willie Roaf?

QBs get waaay too much credit when things are going well----and waay too much blame when things are going poorly. The game is won and lost on the line of scrimmage and the Titans game yesterday should be adequate proof this is the case. Dominant rushing attack, and the like of Haynesworth and VandenBosch on defense, controlling the line.

Also: I'll say this--I hate UGA, but Matthew Stafford is the real deal. He has one the best arms I've ever seen---but so does Brodie Croyle. Yes, Stafford is bigger and more durable, but is priority isn't place on the OL---it'll be all for not, imo.

Raider
10-20-2008, 01:39 PM

Yes.

If they declare... Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow, Matt Stafford, Josh Freeman and Graham Harrell.

Its too early to make a decision on who. There's a lot of college football left to be played and you don't know who's going to declare for the NFL Draft.

If I had to pick to one, I would go with Sam Bradford.

Darth CarlSatan
10-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Draft Andre Smith or maybe Michael Oher with the first round pick. There are plenty of Jeff Garcia's, Jon Kitna's, or Kerry Collins' out there that can manage for a year or two until a "franchise QB is found." Draft LB in the 2nd round. WR in the 3rd.

Brodie Croyle's condition should be proof that and OL is needed to compete in the NFL. Remember Willie Roaf?

QBs get waaay too much credit when things are going well----and waay too much blame when things are going poorly. The game is won and lost on the line of scrimmage and the Titans game yesterday should be adequate proof this is the case. Dominant rushing attack, and the like of Haynesworth and VandenBosch on defense, controlling the line.

Also: I'll say this--I hate UGA, but Matthew Stafford is the real deal. He has one the best arms I've ever seen---but so does Brodie Croyle. Yes, Stafford is bigger and more durable, but is priority isn't place on the OL---it'll be all for not, imo.

What's the difference between a 1st round Lineman and a 2cnd round Lineman?
This will( hopefully )be our last chance to grab a 1st-round QB.
We should not waste it.

Besides, we have absolutely NO ONE on our roster at that position as of Sunday.

Coach
10-20-2008, 01:54 PM

He is the best college QB I have seen this year. Great arm and accuracy.

I personally think that RB and WR are luxuries this team can't afford to draft. I'm not saying that we don't need a WR, but we have many other much bigger needs.

Absolutely. The offense will get much better once it is not so 1-dimensional. Right now, we have no pass protection, so teams stack up and blitz. We need to be able to stretch the field a little more. Once this happens, things begin to fall in place.

Taking Juice in the 1st would be a major blunder IMO. If you want a big mobile QB, pull Culpepper off waivers.

Lastly, I think this OL needs major help, but you don't take guards and centers in the 1st round. If they have a top pick and Stafford is there, you take him. Let the learning process begin for him. Just like they did in GB. Then you get some o-line help in the later rounds and through free agency. Isn't this team $30 million under the salary cap? Go get a freaking Right takcle for god's sakes. Besides, if they can shore up the OL, then they can start moving the ball. Avoiding 3 and outs every possession, could help this team quite a bit.

My vote would be Stafford, OG, MLB, and get a proven RT in free agency.

bamachum
10-20-2008, 01:59 PM
What's the difference between a 1st round Lineman and a 2cnd round Lineman?
This will( hopefully )be our last chance to grab a 1st-round QB.
We should not waste it.

Besides, we have absolutely NO ONE on our roster at that position as of Sunday.

I'll say the difference is this: having a Jonathan Ogden, Willie Roaf, Chris Samuels, Walter Jones-type that will be a figure at LT for 10 years, is possibly the most valuable asset to a team. They are much less risky picks in terms of being able to evaluate their ability and typically stay healthy.

Look over the first-round busts at QB in recent history and how it cripples teams for years when they invest that kind of money in a "glamour pick." Look at the Dolphins, they took the LT with the first and picked up a Chad Pennington, who is playing well. In the long run, this will help them moreso than would've taking Matt Ryan, for example---even if he ends up being a great one.

My first argument is that solidify the OL which helps a) protect the QB and b) help the running game---the essential tool for winning. RBs are a seeminly a "dime-a-dozen" these days and can usually be replaced without sharp dropoff in production.

My other argument is one I made in an earlier post. QBs like Jeff Garcia, Kerry Collins, Jon Kitna, Chad Pennington, Marc Bulger, can lead and manage a good team to the playoffs. An elite QB is not a necessity given talent around him. KC has some young talent in Dwayne Bowe, Gonzalez is still around, foreseeably, as well as Larry Johnson.

Sure up the OL. Get a journeyman QB. Keep builing up the defense and it'll win.

Oh and give Ingle Martin a chance to play this year---what could it hurt--he is a talent. He is the same age as Brodie and I've seen him play a lot over the years at Florida and Furman, he has tools. He threw the fastest ball at the combine the same year that including Croyle. He got shafted at Florida by Ron Zook who promised the job to the freshman Chris Leak and was never given a fair shot, thus he transferred to Furman. Thigpen just really hasn't been too impressive to me in what little I've seen. Then again, who really would look that great behind the current OL? That's my point.

Darth CarlSatan
10-20-2008, 02:05 PM
I'll say the difference is this: having a Jonathan Ogden, Willie Roaf, Chris Samuels, Walter Jones-type that will be a figure at LT for 10 years, is possibly the most valuable asset to a team. They are much less risky picks in terms of being able to evaluate their ability and typically stay healthy.

Look over the first-round busts at QB in recent history and how it cripples teams for years when they invest that kind of money in a "glamour pick." Look at the Dolphins, they took the LT with the first and picked up a Chad Pennington, who is playing well. In the long run, this will help them moreso than would've taking Matt Ryan, for example---even if he ends up being a great one.

My first argument is that solidify the OL which helps a) protect the QB and b) help the running game---the essential tool for winning. RBs are a seeminly a "dime-a-dozen" these days and can usually be replaced without sharp dropoff in production.

My other argument is one I made in an earlier post. QBs like Jeff Garcia, Kerry Collins, Jon Kitna, Chad Pennington, Marc Bulger, can lead and manage a good team to the playoffs. An elite QB is not a necessity given talent around him. KC has some young talent in Dwayne Bowe, Gonzalez is still around, foreseeably, as well as Larry Johnson.

Sure up the OL. Get a journeyman QB. Keep builing up the defense and it'll win.

Oh and give Ingle Martin a chance to play this year---what could it hurt--he is a talent. He is the same age as Brodie and I've seen him play a lot over the years at Florida and Furman, he has tools. He threw the fastest ball at the combine the same year that including Croyle. He got shafted at Florida by Ron Zook who promised the job to the freshman Chris Leak and was never given a fair shot, thus he transferred to Furman. Thigpen just really hasn't been too impressive to me in what little I've seen. Then again, who really would look that great behind the current OL? That's my point.

I know we need to build the line, but when there's NO ONE TO PROTECT, the point becomes moot!

Please wake up! Thigpen and Martin ARE ****!!!
Are we just gonna' keep doing this bull**** whereby we HOPE we luck in to a Len Dawson or Rich Gannon!?!?!?

THIS IS INSANITY!!!!!

And I'm sick and tired of being "That Team".

slc chief
10-20-2008, 02:21 PM
the biggest part of rebuilding a team is having a leader at qb. we can spend some money in free agency and get some o-line help and draft a few in the upcoming draft. but what this team needed in the previous draft and without a doubt in this years draft is a solid qb. you can pick an offensive lineman through free agency that would start for you in the the super bowl but it would be real hard to find a starting quarterback through free agency that could take you to a superbowl. unless you have a absoulute shutdown defense wich we dont so heck yeah we better draft a qb first and foremost

Darth CarlSatan
10-20-2008, 02:24 PM
the biggest part of rebuilding a team is having a leader when can spend some money in free agency and get some o-line help and draft a few in the upcoming draft but what this team needed in the previous draft and without a doubt in this years draft is a solid qb you can pick an offensive lineman through free agency that wouls start for you in the the super bowl but it would be real hard to find a starting quarterback through free agency that could take you to a superbowl unless you have a absoulute shutdown defense wich we dont so heck yeah we better draft a qb first and foremost

EXACTLY!
QB comes first, then draft 2 Linemen, Draft LB's, and augment the rest of the lines through free agency!

Brilliant Post! :bananen_smilies046:

rustfan76
10-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Some of Juice's stats , that were asked for are. Through 7 games are, 60% completion , 1948 yards , 16 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, 599 yards rushing on an average of 4.4 yards per carry. More yards rushing than any running back on the team.

Darth CarlSatan
10-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Some of Juice's stats , that were asked for are. Through 7 games are, 60% completion , 1948 yards , 16 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, 599 yards rushing on an average of 4.4 yards per carry. More yards rushing than any running back on the team.

That was me, and thanks.
I'm going to start watching megs of video this weekend in preparation for making a final call on who we should draft.
There's a LOT of season left, but 90% of college QB's just aren't made for the NFL. So, that narrows the field a bit. Plus, I'm going OUTSIDE of the QB's and Schools that get all the face-time.
Brandon Carr was a pick-up from "Nowhere-U", and he's already another All-World Chief in his 1st season.

I wouldn't mind having a Chiefs "Juice" Jersey; we share the same last name!
:bananen_smilies046:
Hey, wait a minute; maybe if Herm pulls his head out of his butt( NOT likely )and pulls Donnie and Jared off the field in favor of the two guys who helped murder Denver( DuJuan and DeMorrio ), I can go ahead and GET A Williams JERSEY!!!
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: