PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs speak to Culpepper..........

Drunker Hillbilly
10-21-2008, 10:46 AM
ESPN is reporting that the Chiefs spoke to retired QB Daunte Culpepper on Monday.

slc chief
10-21-2008, 10:51 AM
i guess it could not hurt to bring him in for the rest of the year and give him a shot at this point maybe even keep him as a backup next year

Drunker Hillbilly
10-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Back up? Who would he be backing up?

slc chief
10-21-2008, 10:59 AM

hopefully our first or second pick from this years draft i would not be happy if opening day next year he was our number one unless it was to give the rookie a little more time to learn the system

Drunker Hillbilly
10-21-2008, 11:05 AM
You certainly can't expect a rookie QB to be thrown into the fire behind this O line can you? They won't spend any money on any O line FA again this year and may draft a couple. The line will still suck!! Build the damn O line through FA!!!!!

jtandcrew
10-21-2008, 11:06 AM

You never know with this regime!

hopefully our first or second pick from this years draft i would not be happy if opening day next year he was our number one unless it was to give the rookie a little more time to learn the system

I would be very surprised if we didnt try to trade for a QB tbh. someone we can give up a 3rd pick for rather than waste a 1st or 2nd pick unless they proved themselves this year. Who?

Drunker Hillbilly
10-21-2008, 11:09 AM
You never know with this regime!

I would be very surprised if we didnt try to trade for a QB tbh. someone we can give up a 3rd pick for rather than waste a 1st or 2nd pick unless they proved themselves this year. Who?
I am STILL pissed that we didn't make a run at Garcia. Some on this site don't like him but the dude just wins!!!! Dominated in Philly and then won the division in Tampa with 2 INT's none the less!!!!

jtandcrew
10-21-2008, 11:18 AM
I am STILL pissed that we didn't make a run at Garcia. Some on this site don't like him but the dude just wins!!!! Dominated in Philly and then won the division in Tampa with 2 INT's none the less!!!!

But in both places he had a line to protect him. He is getting older and NEEDS that line and we dont have it! You really think Garcia would last here?

Grey144
10-21-2008, 11:18 AM
If we do sign Culpepper it will be to come in and start. It has been report that he had made it clear that he would start if he signs anything. At this point this is a move that I can see happening. We cannot go on into the season with just 2 QB's. Huard sucks (imop) and Thigpen is an unknown. My guess is they will sign Culpepper to a one year deal with incentives and then he will come in and most likely get retired again after a game or two playing behind Our hideous front line. Worst case scenario he comes in and plays very very well and actually manages to win 2 or 3 games thereby ruining our chance at a high draft pick next year.

And we all know deep deep down as long as CP is GM the cheifs will NEVER NEVER NEVER draft a QB in the first round. It makes sense to exspecially if we have the first second or third pick next year since there are several good QB's coming out next year but we all know that is a slim to no chance happening unless Carl packs his bags after the season.

slc chief
10-21-2008, 11:21 AM
as far as drafting a qb you know the names matt stafford,sam bradford,tim tebow,colt mccoy,chase daniels,mark sanchez out of those i can definantly tell you one i absoulutley do not like is tebow he reminds me of alex smith to much that style of qb does not transfer to the nfl to well the problem with a free agent qb is i dont know of any that will be worth a crap besides maybe sage rosenfels or brady quinn if available

jtandcrew
10-21-2008, 11:23 AM
If we do sign Culpepper it will be to come in and start. It has been report that he had made it clear that he would start if he signs anything. At this point this is a move that I can see happening. We cannot go on into the season with just 2 QB's. Huard sucks (imop) and Thigpen is an unknown. My guess is they will sign Culpepper to a one year deal with incentives and then he will come in and most likely get retired again after a game or two playing behind Our hideous front line. Worst case scenario he comes in and plays very very well and actually manages to win 2 or 3 games thereby ruining our chance at a high draft pick next year.

And we all know deep deep down as long as CP is GM the cheifs will NEVER NEVER NEVER draft a QB in the first round. It makes sense to exspecially if we have the first second or third pick next year since there are several good QB's coming out next year but we all know that is a slim to no chance happening unless Carl packs his bags after the season.

I think Dante retired to wait just for this chance. If we were to bring him outta retirement I think they would do it at league minimum for atleast 2 years if not 3. Im not saying it would be a bad move at this point since its really our only option at a vet QB. I wish we woulda made a move for Simms when we had the chance to either get rid of eithe Huard or the Ingles guy. Either way this will be a desperate move on Carl's behalve not to get canned!

Drunker Hillbilly
10-21-2008, 11:28 AM
But in both places he had a line to protect him. He is getting older and NEEDS that line and we dont have it! You really think Garcia would last here?
Well, I was speaking of how I wanted this to happen when the Eagles picked him up. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago???? Now, I don't know that he would last but he would have cost a lot less than Culpepper will and would probably do a better job.

jtandcrew
10-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Well, I was speaking of how I wanted this to happen when the Eagles picked him up. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago???? Now, I don't know that he would last but he would have cost a lot less than Culpepper will and would probably do a better job.

Maybe back then but Culpepper will cost us next to nothing since he is retired. If the Chiefs signed him to anything more than the leasgue min then I would be surprised. Garcia has actually had success lately and atm Garcia would cost more atm. Although a few years ago? I woulda taken Culpepper before Garcia playing behind our line we had.

Grey144
10-21-2008, 11:34 AM
I think Dante retired to wait just for this chance. If we were to bring him outta retirement I think they would do it at league minimum for atleast 2 years if not 3. Im not saying it would be a bad move at this point since its really our only option at a vet QB. I wish we woulda made a move for Simms when we had the chance to either get rid of eithe Huard or the Ingles guy. Either way this will be a desperate move on Carl's behalve not to get canned!

If we do sign him to a multi year deal then we know for sure that we will not be drafting a QB with a first or second rounder pick next year. I think you are right about the reason why Dante retired he was waiting for a desperate situation to arise that a team needed a QB. I think it would be a mistake to sign him as the future starter beyond this year with his recent performance history unless they make him the back up next year. But from what I have heard Culpepper would not let that fly as he feels he is a starter and that is all he will accept. The chiefs do not have a very good record signing good starting QB's (with a couple exceptions). They tend to sign perrenial backup's to come in and hope they can cut it as starter. Needless to say this will be an interesting few days to come as we see if any deal gets made.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Maybe back then but Culpepper will cost us next to nothing since he is retired. If the Chiefs signed him to anything more than the leasgue min then I would be surprised. Garcia has actually had success lately and atm Garcia would cost more atm. Although a few years ago? I woulda taken Culpepper before Garcia playing behind our line we had.
OK...... but it's weird how Culpepper is out of the league basically because he was hurt all the time and nobody wanted to pay him the money he was demanding and Garcia is still winning games.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-21-2008, 11:35 AM
If we do sign him to a multi year deal then we know for sure that we will not be drafting a QB with a first or second rounder pick next year. I think you are right about the reason why Dante retired he was waiting for a desperate situation to arise that a team needed a QB. I think it would be a mistake to sign him as the future starter beyond this year with his recent performance history unless they make him the back up next year. But from what I have heard Culpepper would not let that fly as he feels he is a starter and that is all he will accept. The chiefs do not have a very good record signing good starting QB's (with a couple exceptions). They tend to sign perrenial backup's to come in and hope they can cut it as starter. Needless to say this will be an interesting few days to come as we see if any deal gets made.
Once again, all under CP's regime!!!!! It is time to sign a franchise QB!!!!!

jtandcrew
10-21-2008, 11:40 AM

If Dante wants to play again he will except whatever agreement they offer for 1. Second? Whos to say CP wont offer him the moon and back out? Look at what CP did to TG? 10 minutes before trade deadline and changes things to a 2nd pick (although I cant blame him though for that 1) but he did say he would get it done! CP is notorius for backing out of deals and telling people what they want to here.
BTW...Carl will NEVER spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB. Never has and never will!

Dyno-Mite
10-21-2008, 11:54 AM
We should snatch Colt Brennan right now.

Grey144
10-21-2008, 11:56 AM
If Dante wants to play again he will except whatever agreement they offer for 1. Second? Whos to say CP wont offer him the moon and back out? Look at what CP did to TG? 10 minutes before trade deadline and changes things to a 2nd pick (although I cant blame him though for that 1) but he did say he would get it done! CP is notorius for backing out of deals and telling people what they want to here.
BTW...Carl will NEVER spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB. Never has and never will!

True the one difference here though would be that TG already had a contract so Carl had all the leverage. Here if they do sign Culpepper they will be making a contract and if Dante has any marbles in his head he will know who he is dealing with and make sure any of his demands are written into the contract. But again you are right this is Carl we are talking about so anything is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if carl signs him to some huge multi-year deal just to spite us as a kind of obscene gesture to all his critics since he is gone in a year anyways. I can really see Carl being the type of person to do anything he can at this point to run this team into the ground as an ultimate "fu" to this city.

Hayvern
10-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Whos to say CP wont offer him the moon and back out? Look at what CP did to TG? 10 minutes before trade deadline and changes things to a 2nd pick (although I cant blame him though for that 1) but he did say he would get it done! CP is notorius for backing out of deals and telling people what they want to here.

Everyone around here knows that I am the first one to pile on Peterson when given the chance, but what you stated here is NOT how it went down. Peterson never changed the deal to a second. The details out now say that Green Bay wanted guarantees that TG would play three years, and if he did not, then Tony would have to pay back salary AND the Chiefs would be on the line for future draft picks.

I am not sure why those details did not come out originally, but if those are indeed the details and I have heard it said that both sides agree that those were the details, then Peterson saved himself and Gonzales a lot of future trouble.

Now, Peterson is a shrude businessman, and I have no doubt he is going to do what is best for Carl Peterson, so your statement about him changing the deal mid stream would not be uncharacteristic, however, lets make sure we get the story straight.

Darth CarlSatan
10-21-2008, 03:54 PM
You certainly can't expect a rookie QB to be thrown into the fire behind this O line can you? They won't spend any money on any O line FA again this year and may draft a couple. The line will still suck!! Build the damn O line through FA!!!!!

Draft 2, Buy 2 = Recepie for Success.

Drunker Hillbilly
10-21-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm good with this scenario.

jerhart
10-21-2008, 06:11 PM
I would have taken him for the rest of the season...but it doesnt sound like even the guy who sent 32 letters out asking for a chance wants to play for the Chiefs...denied by Culpepper...ouch!

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-536/Report--Chiefs-unlikely-to-sign-Culpepper.html

chief31
10-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Culpepper sucks ***!!!!

But I don't mind if he comes in and starts. He will be done in a couple of games.

yeah, he's a big guy. But he has become injury-prone, and that will increase if he plays for Herm Edwards.

PawnshopMarimba
10-22-2008, 12:44 AM

I agree with you there. Garcia's one of those under rated QBs that plays well and never seems to get recognition for it... would love to have him on our side.

slc chief
10-22-2008, 11:13 AM
we have the cap space for this i definantly agree with draft 2 buy 2 jordan gross is out there and he is young i think the o line can be fixed alot quicker than people think

hardcorechiefsfan
10-23-2008, 05:10 AM

:funnypost:
Think: Culpepper is retired. What makes anyone think that he is still keeping in shape?
Also, What about the chiefs' non existant o-line?? Can they protect an aging QB?

Drunker Hillbilly
10-23-2008, 09:46 AM
:funnypost:
Think: Culpepper is retired. What makes anyone think that he is still keeping in shape?
Also, What about the chiefs' non existant o-line?? Can they protect an aging QB?
:sign0153: : You could go to that team and start. What makes you think Culpepper wouldn't?

jtandcrew
10-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Everyone around here knows that I am the first one to pile on Peterson when given the chance, but what you stated here is NOT how it went down. Peterson never changed the deal to a second. The details out now say that Green Bay wanted guarantees that TG would play three years, and if he did not, then Tony would have to pay back salary AND the Chiefs would be on the line for future draft picks.

I am not sure why those details did not come out originally, but if those are indeed the details and I have heard it said that both sides agree that those were the details, then Peterson saved himself and Gonzales a lot of future trouble.

Now, Peterson is a shrude businessman, and I have no doubt he is going to do what is best for Carl Peterson, so your statement about him changing the deal mid stream would not be uncharacteristic, however, lets make sure we get the story straight.

I heard also that GB wanted those guarantees also. That said, it was also said that CP at the last minute asked for a 2nd in order to get that deal done. So, it sounds to me after it was all over both teams waited to late to get the negotiations done. I think CP woulda been fine with a 3rd but then GB came back and said they want him to play 3 more years. I think CP took that deal and said no way! If hes going to play 3 more years then we are going to keep him unless you give us a 2nd. It came down to greed on both parts and unfortunately a future HOFer was the 1 screwed.

jtandcrew
10-24-2008, 03:02 AM
I agree with you there. Garcia's one of those under rated QBs that plays well and never seems to get recognition for it... would love to have him on our side.

Garcia is to old to fit into what CP and Herm is doing. I like him as well but he would not last until our line is fixed. Even then he would be even older than what he is. In the end the Chiefs will fix the O-line first then go look for someones discarded back-up that has the so called "upside". Or they will draft another. Sorry to say but, our future either still sits with either Croyle (since Herm looks to have a man crush on him) or its with Thigpen or the new guy. I think if Herm is still here next year Croyle will get 1 more season to prove himself.

m0ef0e
10-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Garcia is to old to fit into what CP and Herm is doing. I like him as well but he would not last until our line is fixed. Even then he would be even older than what he is. In the end the Chiefs will fix the O-line first then go look for someones discarded back-up that has the so called "upside". Or they will draft another. Sorry to say but, our future either still sits with either Croyle (since Herm looks to have a man crush on him) or its with Thigpen or the new guy. I think if Herm is still here next year Croyle will get 1 more season to prove himself.

NO!!! N - O !

HELL NO!!!

PUH-LEEEZE???

Darth CarlSatan
10-24-2008, 04:01 PM
NO!!! N - O !

HELL NO!!!

PUH-LEEEZE???

Relax Mo! Go to Dirk; Dirk will make everything alright.
YouTube - the touch

hardcorechiefsfan
10-24-2008, 09:39 PM
:sign0153: : You could go to that team and start. What makes you think Culpepper wouldn't?
I don't know but with the youth thingy going on how would Culpepper fit into that?