PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like we have a new QB !

YZILLA
10-21-2008, 07:29 PM
My pick for QB to pick up since Croyle went down is about to come true it seems barring a physical . heres the link :

http://www.bobgretz.com/

jerhart
10-21-2008, 07:35 PM
He sounds like he will be the man once he pass his physical... :yahoo:

...I'd name him a start over Thigpen and Huard....

Gray had 10 TD's last year with only 4 starts...and played in 8 games total...better than any of our other QB's riding the bench.

When is the soonest we could see him in a game assuming he passes his physical...?

CHIEFS_FN_ROCK
10-21-2008, 07:44 PM
I like where it said after 7 punt for 40 some odd yards!!!! punter sounds like what we need more then a QB!!! LMAO

jerhart
10-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Here we go....a QB who can throw is more than 5 yards!!!!

YouTube - Quinn Gray Touchdown Bomb

YZILLA
10-21-2008, 08:17 PM
nice! I know all we will here is how bad any qb will suck with our oline. But damn we needed to do something after croyle went down. Huard is old and feeble, and Ingle is not ready for the NFL yet ( herms words ). Thigpen needs to play too , I think he can be good in time. But we have to have people to play the position . Good thing its gonna be a 6'3 254lb stud that is 29 and has little wear and tear so hes as good as maybe a 23-24 year old , hes fast , has a cannon . So whats the downside ? Hes not a crybaby like Dante when things dont go his way !

jerhart
10-21-2008, 08:44 PM
nice! I know all we will here is how bad any qb will suck with our oline. But damn we needed to do something after croyle went down. Huard is old and feeble, and Ingle is not ready for the NFL yet ( herms words ). Thigpen needs to play too , I think he can be good in time. But we have to have people to play the position . Good thing its gonna be a 6'3 254lb stud that is 29 and has little wear and tear so hes as good as maybe a 23-24 year old , hes fast , has a cannon . So whats the downside ? Hes not a crybaby like Dante when things dont go his way !

Agree 100%. Plus with such a porous o-line, it makes more sense putting a larger mobile QB back there who can take a beating. Prior to Quinn coming, our QB's were just a bunch of weanies. :11:

chief31
10-22-2008, 12:29 AM
He sounds like he will be the man once he pass his physical... :yahoo:

...I'd name him a start over Thigpen and Huard....

Gray had 10 TD's last year with only 4 starts...and played in 8 games total...better than any of our other QB's riding the bench.

When is the soonest we could see him in a game assuming he passes his physical...?

Yes. Let's all get excited about another QB, who we will all be complaining sucks so bad after a few games.

Gray might be a pretty good QB. But we aren't going to know, because everyone will be crowning him as the 'Glass Vigina' soon enough.

He'll be getting booed out of town soon enough. Just like anyone else who has tried to play behind our nO-Line.

Then we can do it all over again, when we sign Harrington, after a few more weeks.:yahoo:

PawnshopMarimba
10-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Holy crap. This is a great (and probably cheap) pick up! How soon can we expect to see him on the field?

Three7s
10-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Holy crap. This is a great (and probably cheap) pick up! How soon can we expect to see him on the field?
Herm already said no chance for this Sunday, since, obviously, a new QB can't learn the system that fast, but maybe the Sunday after?

YZILLA
10-22-2008, 01:36 AM
Yes. Let's all get excited about another QB, who we will all be complaining sucks so bad after a few games.

Gray might be a pretty good QB. But we aren't going to know, because everyone will be crowning him as the 'Glass Vigina' soon enough.

He'll be getting booed out of town soon enough. Just like anyone else who has tried to play behind our nO-Line.

Then we can do it all over again, when we sign Harrington, after a few more weeks.:yahoo:

Dude you need a hug or something? Cant people ever get something positive out of a season thats so ****ty . relax !

Three7s
10-22-2008, 02:06 AM
Dude you need a hug or something? Cant people ever get something positive out of a season thats so ****ty . relax !
Don't worry about it, chief31 is just a little bit more edgy than usual because his Cubs won't be going to the World Series.......again.:lol:

chief31
10-22-2008, 02:08 AM

If you can be excited in a thunderstorm, then that's cool. But I will be here to remind everyone that it is still raining.:D

PawnshopMarimba
10-22-2008, 03:10 AM
Don't worry about it, chief31 is just a little bit more edgy than usual because his Cubs won't be going to the World Series.......again.:lol:

Whenever I get particularly down about the Chiefs, I try to think of the Cubbies... their Championship drought is a century long now.

It COULD be worse... kinda.

chief31
10-22-2008, 04:07 AM
Whenever I get particularly down about the Chiefs, I try to think of the Cubbies... their Championship drought is a century long now.

It COULD be worse... kinda.

Well, neither The Cubs, nor The Chiefs has been since I have been alive.

Thank God for Michael Jordan! :D

jerhart
10-22-2008, 06:40 AM

awwwww...so sad...why dont you just admit it...you miss Brodie already...that's cute.

chief31
10-22-2008, 07:49 AM
awwwww...so sad...why dont you just admit it...you miss Brodie already...that's cute.

What is this? ^

jerhart
10-22-2008, 08:54 AM
What is this? ^

...sounded like you arent much for this move...I could be wrong.

...I for one think it is a good move. We need a QB. We didnt waste a draft pick on one. He is not going to have a budget breaking price tag on him....And now we have a QB who can throw it beyond 5 yards...excited...why not?
...ya he is going to get sacked behind this line. But at 275lbs....I wouldnt classify him as a 'glass vigina.' :sign0098:

Dyno-Mite
10-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Quinn Gray sucks.We don't need him.

jerhart
10-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Quinn Gray sucks.We don't need him.

...who'd you pick up to fill our 3rd QB position?

slc chief
10-22-2008, 10:09 AM
i say quinn grey couldn't hurt let's try it he did produce a littlle in jacksonville didn't he? i can not remember what his record was

Canada
10-22-2008, 10:13 AM

I believe that has only been said about one QB and he happens to be the one QB on the team that has been injured since high school. But maybe that is because we have a bad O line, and he did in college too...oh and in high school. Or maybe he just has a glass vagina.

Canada
10-22-2008, 10:16 AM
If you can be excited in a thunderstorm, then that's cool. But I will be here to remind everyone that it is still raining.:D

Thank god. There aren't enough people saying we suck!! In fact, I may have even forgotten it a bit over the past couple of days and I am excited about watching the Chiefs on Sunday. A little time away from this place is nice. BTW...Thunderstorms suck but the odd lightning strike is pretty cool to watch. We will win more games this season.

Dyno-Mite
10-22-2008, 10:41 AM
...who'd you pick up to fill our 3rd QB position?

There is really nobody to pick up.Quinn Grey is not a answer.If it came down to it then Culpepper would've been the only option at 3rd but we don't really even need him as well.Herm should've drafted Colt Brennan because our current situation as of now would've been solved while having him with us.Keep our 3 guys and let's just hope Damon's thumb gets healthy.

yashi
10-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Herm should've drafted Colt Brennan because our current situation as of now would've been solved while having him with us.Keep our 3 guys and let's just hope Damon's thumb gets healthy.
Hawaii is my college football team, and I watched a ton of Colt Brennan in college. While I loved watching him throw to a corp of Bob Marley lookalikes, he'd be a terrible fit, especially right now. The guy has an even smaller build than Croyle, and had the benefit of a great o-line in college.

I think he could amount to a decent pro QB, but I doubt he'll ever be close to a pro bowler. Gray should at least be able to take a few hits without having to be taken to the locker room.

Dyno-Mite
10-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Hawaii is my college football team, and I watched a ton of Colt Brennan in college. While I loved watching him throw to a corp of Bob Marley lookalikes, he'd be a terrible fit, especially right now. The guy has an even smaller build than Croyle, and had the benefit of a great o-line in college.

I think he could amount to a decent pro QB, but I doubt he'll ever be close to a pro bowler. Gray should at least be able to take a few hits without having to be taken to the locker room.

Colt Brennan's size phrame is in the near exact of Brodie Croyle's so that would'nt be a problem.He is a player that can improve into a Pro Bowl player and would've been a superb fit in KC.

yashi
10-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Colt Brennan's size phrame is in the near exact of Brodie Croyle's so that would'nt be a problem.
That is exactly why he would be a horrible fit right now. Our QBs are getting smashed left and right. A 200 lb QB hardly helps matters. I would agree that we should have drafted a quarterback, that was just terrible planning on the part of management. It was a good draft for the most part, with a few serious question marks: Morgan/Franklin/Robinson over linemen/QBs in particular..

Thigpen is terrible, but if nothing else he's big enough and elusive enough to avoid getting murdered in the pocket.

jerhart
10-22-2008, 11:41 AM
There is really nobody to pick up.Quinn Grey is not a answer.If it came down to it then Culpepper would've been the only option at 3rd but we don't really even need him as well.Herm should've drafted Colt Brennan because our current situation as of now would've been solved while having him with us.Keep our 3 guys and let's just hope Damon's thumb gets healthy.

That doesnt answer the question tho. Colt Brennan isnt available to pick up now. So again, what unsigned QB out there would you have picked up to fulfill our 3rd position?

chief31
10-22-2008, 12:17 PM
...sounded like you arent much for this move...I could be wrong.

...I for one think it is a good move. We need a QB. We didnt waste a draft pick on one. He is not going to have a budget breaking price tag on him....And now we have a QB who can throw it beyond 5 yards...excited...why not?
...ya he is going to get sacked behind this line. But at 275lbs....I wouldnt classify him as a 'glass vigina.' :sign0098:

I am not against picking up Gray. But I don't see it as anything ,ore than picking up any other cast-ffs from any other team.

And he could 375 lbs, and still get his world rocked, by a blind-side hit from an average DE.

I believe that has only been said about one QB and he happens to be the one QB on the team that has been injured since high school. But maybe that is because we have a bad O line, and he did in college too...oh and in high school. Or maybe he just has a glass vagina.

But every QB that we have played since Herms arrival has been hurt. What makes them less of a glass vagina?

Thank god. There aren't enough people saying we suck!! In fact, I may have even forgotten it a bit over the past couple of days and I am excited about watching the Chiefs on Sunday. A little time away from this place is nice. BTW...Thunderstorms suck but the odd lightning strike is pretty cool to watch. We will win more games this season.

If you don't want to read what I have to say, then why do you? I know that you don't expect me to be all excited about Quinn Gray. Do you?

Admit it. You love to agonize over my negativity, don't you? :D

m0ef0e
10-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Quinn Gray is better than all the other QB's on our roster, combined.

His chances of success with this team is minimal but we may at least get some first downs.

jerhart
10-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Quinn Gray is better than all the other QB's on our roster, combined.

His chances of success with this team is minimal but we may at least get some first downs.

Exactly. Thank you.

Darth CarlSatan
10-22-2008, 03:10 PM

Okay, THIS time I have to agree with you; this is GREAT news.

Just some cursory observations:

Very athletic. Doesn't throw a "hard ball", but in the case of our receivers, that might end up being a good thing.

And thank God; he can SCRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMBLE! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

A Manning understudy who is chomping at the bit to carve a name for himself? You bet your A** I'll take that in a New York Minute!
Let us hope that the "Manning Tantrum Blame Game" doesn't come with him.

See you two, it's NOT about being "negative". It's about expecting your franchise to make smart and good moves.
For now, this is smart and good move.

Three7s
10-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Okay, THIS time I have to agree with you; this is GREAT news.

Just some cursory observations:

Very athletic. Doesn't throw a "hard ball", but in the case of our receivers, that might end up being a good thing.

And thank God; he can SCRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMBLE! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

A Manning understudy who is chomping at the bit to carve a name for himself? You bet your A** I'll take that in a New York Minute!
Let us hope that the "Manning Tantrum Blame Game" doesn't come with him.

See you two, it's NOT about being "negative". It's about expecting your franchise to make smart and good moves.
For now, this is smart and good move.
Must be nice to be naturally positive. So when has this franchise, recently, made a good and smart move? How can I assume this is?

Darth CarlSatan
10-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Must be nice to be naturally positive. So when has this franchise, recently, made a good and smart move? How can I assume this is?

The ONLY good and smart move prior to this signing was the draft itself.
Make no mistake; Gray and everybody else has to prove their worth. That said, I like Gray's chances a hell of a lot better than our current 'Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse Who Can't Produce An Apocalypse'.

That's a good name for those four losers; just like the sects that run around crying "The End Is Near"( still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiting ), we'll all be getting dressed up each week in anticipation/fear of "The Last Days"( which never come )waiting for any consistent productivity out of those four sad-sacks.

Call the Janitor, and SWEEP THE LOCKER ROOM!

Hayvern
10-22-2008, 04:24 PM
I too think this might be a good pick up. He was able to put up some decent looking numbers when he got a chance to play.

Hayvern
10-22-2008, 04:27 PM
According to KCChiefs.com looks like we have come to terms with Quinn Gray. I for one am a little excited to see what this guy can do. Lord knows we have had very little good play at this position thus far.

tornadospotter
10-22-2008, 04:32 PM
According to KCChiefs.com looks like we have come to terms with Quinn Gray. I for one am a little excited to see what this guy can do. Lord knows we have had very little good play at this position thus far.

We better pickup another QB. Huard was put on IR also, ending his season.

Darth CarlSatan
10-22-2008, 04:49 PM
I too think this might be a good pick up. He was able to put up some decent looking numbers when he got a chance to play.

I hear ya'.

But even MORE SO, I want some Chiefs fans to see what a legitimate QB can do WITHOUT the much-ballyhooed "Perfect O-Line".

Everyone of those four 'yard sale pick-me ups' has had near, or JUST AS MUCH TIME IN THE POCKET AS ANYBODY ELSE.

The difference between those idiots and a real QB, is that a REAL QB makes snap decisions with authority and effectiveness, and always has a back door.

Pocket-Squatters drive me up a f*cking wall; that sh*t is USELESS.

The Four Dipsh*ts plant themselves in the backfield like little old ladies shopping for fruit in the produce section. And then there's Thigpen Sanders-Holmes, who seems hell-bent on running himself in to a Coma and a nice, comfy suite at the KU Medcenter.

So many fans haven't seen a Quarterback on this team for so long, they've forgotten how the position is supposed to be played.

hardcorechiefsfan
10-22-2008, 06:10 PM
How can anyone say that Quinn Grey is a good QB? If he was someone to be watched, why hasn't anyone else snatched him up? Why would someone just toss a good QB away?

Darth CarlSatan
10-22-2008, 06:19 PM
How can anyone say that Quinn Grey is a good QB? If he was someone to be watched, why hasn't anyone else snatched him up? Why would someone just toss a good QB away?

I can only go by film and numbers at this point. But from what I've seen, his form, reading, and athleticism have put him above everyone else posing as QB and collecting a paycheck from One Arrowhead Drive.

In my eyes, he had those fools beat hands-down before the ink dried on his new contract.

chief31
10-23-2008, 02:20 AM
I hear ya'.

But even MORE SO, I want some Chiefs fans to see what a legitimate QB can do WITHOUT the much-ballyhooed "Perfect O-Line".

Everyone of those four 'yard sale pick-me ups' has had near, or JUST AS MUCH TIME IN THE POCKET AS ANYBODY ELSE.

The difference between those idiots and a real QB, is that a REAL QB makes snap decisions with authority and effectiveness, and always has a back door.

Pocket-Squatters drive me up a f*cking wall; that sh*t is USELESS.

The Four Dipsh*ts plant themselves in the backfield like little old ladies shopping for fruit in the produce section. And then there's Thigpen Sanders-Holmes, who seems hell-bent on running himself in to a Coma and a nice, comfy suite at the KU Medcenter.

So many fans haven't seen a Quarterback on this team for so long, they've forgotten how the position is supposed to be played.

Well, he will probably play within the next ten days, so my question is this..

What do you do if he does get injured after a game or two?

Is he suddenly a 'never-was'? Is it just another magical fluke? Or did he used to be great, but then decided to suck balls for us? Or do you make up some other excuse, so that you can continue to ignore the real problem?

I like Gray. He might be a decent QB. I am not excited to see what he can do, because I have very little faith that I am going to be able to see what he can do.

Maybe, if we act right during this off-season, I will get a chance to see what he can do next season. I doubt it, as I have zero faith in this team to address the o-line properly. But that is the hope that I see for Gray.

The statement about our QBs having just as much time in the pocket.. is ludacris. There is no way that you have ever watched any of this team. Either that, or you need to finish removing the rose-colored glasses from that Coalition place.

But hell, as long as we are going to fantasize, that o-line is busting-open the same running lanes as every other unit in the league too. In fact, offensive linemen make absolutely no difference whatsoever. One o-line is just as good as the next. No NFL QB has any more, nor less, time to throw. That is all just make believe.

If you were looking for something to argue about, all you have to do is say stupid s*** like that.

Darth CarlSatan
10-23-2008, 03:22 AM
Alright Genius; you got it:

No excuses here today, let's get right in. In fact, I say let's throw every excuse right out the window.

Since we're talking QB's and pass protection, how does "opening up holes" factor in to this? I never said the line was great at opening holes. But to say the team is incapable of "addressing the O-Line properly" is a no-win debate with you. Should we have gone to the 08 draft and used every Ace Card to acquire Offensive Linemen? And if we had, would you now be 100% satisfied because of it?
No, no you wouldn't. You and a thousand other people would be moaning and groaning about the vast amounts of swiss cheese in the defense and special teams.
The key factor being Swiss Cheese; IT WAS EVERYWHERE. We had to spread the acquisition around, and I think "Dumb and Dumber" did a pretty fly job of making it happen.
If we're going to complain about the "lack of push/lack of domination" on Our Lines, let's complain about 31 million dollars that could have been used to address this.
But to the matter at hand, the average "safety time before getting sacked/having to scramble" in the pocket is 2.5 to three seconds. You're going to tell me that our line can't manage THAT?!
Or, is it the receivers? Orrrrrr......
Is it this franchise's Ultra Uber-Long History of being either to cheap to pull the trigger, or too stupid to evaluate talent at the position?

Survey SAYS!???:
"Door number two please"...
"CORRECT"!
If Quinn Gray turns out to be a flop, it won't suprise me one bit.
BUT...
If he turns out to be an Uber-Stud; you can bet your a** it was pure happenstance.

I've seen this scenario before. Two Chiefs Quarterbacks, one O-Line.
QB number 1 struggles for wins at the beginning of the season and eventually ends up on the bench with an injury.
QB number 2 steps in, lights a fire under everyone's a**, and steers his team to 1st-round, home field advantage in the Playoffs.

NEWS FLASH!

They Both Had The SAME...LINE.

Soldier UP, or get to steppin'.

chief31
10-23-2008, 03:51 AM

No excuses here today, let's get right in. In fact, I say let's throw every excuse right out the window.

Since we're talking QB's and pass protection, how does "opening up holes" factor in to this?

Because we are talking about o-line quality. Watch some time. You can see the o-linemen trying to open running lanes.

I never said the line was great at opening holes. But to say the team is incapable of "addressing the O-Line properly" is a no-win debate with you.

How do you figure? This is your first discussion with me on the matter, and you have already given up?

When you said "throw excuses out the window" di you mean so you could catch them and immediately use them?

Saying something is a 'no-win' debate sounds like the frontline of all excuses to me.

Of the five starting positions, we had one secured. The team added one through the draft, and none from free agency. (No, I don't count anything past the fourth round of the draft, and I don't count any of the waiver-wire garbage that mediocre teams have scraped off their boot as anything either.)

If that is how you address starting positions on an NFL football team, then you have no clue.

(For the record, that is how Herm addressed it, and he does have no clue.)

Should we have gone to the 08 draft and used every Ace Card to acquire Offensive Linemen? And if we had, would you now be 100% satisfied because of it?

Exaggeration is yet another excuse. Instead of actually using some common sense, you just act like nothing would ever be good enough for me, and throw your e-arms in the air in frustraion? Stop it! Act like a man.

No, no you wouldn't.

Here is another brilliant debate tactic. Assure me that you know me better than I know myself, and that I would never accept anything.

You and a thousand other people would be moaning and groaning about the vast amounts of swiss cheese in the defense and special teams.

I, and countless others, already are 'moaning and groaning' about those issues.

The key factor being Swiss Cheese; IT WAS EVERYWHERE. We had to spread the acquisition around, and I think "Dumb and Dumber" did a pretty fly job of making it happen.

Wait a second. I watched a pretty decent defense, for most of last season. And I watche dthe worst offense in the NFL. (Special teams too, but that is late-round stuff.)

If we're going to complain about the "lack of push/lack of domination" on Our Lines, let's complain about 31 million dollars that could have been used to address this.

Read around new guy. I do. But that is no excuse for ignore three starting positions on the offesne, not to mention several depth positions.

But to the matter at hand, the average "safety time before getting sacked/having to scramble" in the pocket is 2.5 to three seconds. You're going to tell me that our line can't manage THAT?!

BS! If that were the average then noone would pass, and we would be a whole lot better than we are. Don't make-up numbers. Do some research on the subject. I don't deal well with others' imagination. And the half-second difference between two and a half, to three is a s***load, when we are talking about finding an open reciever.

Is it this franchise's Ultra Uber-Long History of being either to cheap to pull the trigger, or too stupid to evaluate talent at the position?

Survey SAYS!???:
"CORRECT"!
BUT...
If he turns out to be an Uber-Stud; you can bet your a** it was pure happenstance.

I'm gonna guess that that was a better o-line.

QB number 1 struggles for wins at the beginning of the season and eventually ends up on the bench with an injury.
QB number 2 steps in, lights a fire under everyone's a**, and steers his team to 1st-round, home field advantage in the Playoffs.

NEWS FLASH!

They Both Had The SAME...LINE.

Soldier UP, or get to steppin'.

So, Trent Green just sucked *** then? How did he do so well before that? So then, Damon Huard just sucked *** then? How did he do so well before?

Green got used to playing with Roaf protecting his blind side, and couldn't handle when a hole opened up over there.

Huard was used to getting his *** kicked from random spots of protection in Miami, and did well when he only had one area to worry about a rush coming. But, once Shields retired, that left the other side to worry about, and it also caused pressure from the RT spot too.

Now, with pass rushers coming from about every angle, that makes it a whole lot tougher.

By the time Croyle got on the field, all protection had been removed, and it has been a mad scramble for any QB that has been in there. Let me also add that all QBs have become 'glass' too.

But you didn't answer me. What do you say if Gray gets injured within a couple of games? Because he isn't made of glass right now. Will we have turned him into glass?

That's it, isn't it? Herm has a special wizard staff that turns QBs into glass?

Now, as for what would have satisfied me, as far as adressing the o-line last off-season, they could have easily signed one of about six or seven decent players that were free agents. Then they could have drafted an OT (If that wasn't the position that they addressed on the free agent market.)

All they had to do was to address two of the three starting positions, and tell us that they were going with Niswanger at C.

In fact, if they had taken a third round OT (we had three selections in the third) I would have fealt pretty good about it.

But we took an OG, and are forcing him at LOT. That bothers me. OG is a 'run-blocking first' position, and LOT is a 'protect the QBs blind side first' position. Putting your big run-blocker in as the primary pass-blocker seems a bit stupid to me. And, as a result.... Croyle - Out For The Season... Huard - Out For The Season.

But, there was no need to do it all last off-season anyway. We should have been working on those starting positions for the previous two off-seasons. What did we get from those two periods?

How do you not see that Herm has injured his QB in every season of his head coaching career is more than a coincidence? It isn't that all of his QBs are just magically turned to glass. It is that every one 'made of glass' when thay are taking repetitive un-protected hits.

And you can chant F*A*R*V*E all you want. He is the exception to the rule, and he never had an o-line as bad as what we have right now. We have one NFL starter, two projects, and two guys that wouldn't hold down back-up jobs with most teams.

It is as simple as I make it sound. Put an emphasis on your o-line, and your offense will succeed. Ignore it, and the offense will fail. Our offense is failing miserably.

YZILLA
10-23-2008, 04:09 AM
The point is we had to get a QB or two to keep the postition filled, Who knows how long Ingle or Thigpen can hold out. We have to keep a supply , Two is definately not enough to finish the season on this team. Yeah of coarse we need to get our O-line fixed. Who is out there that we can spend some Cap money on to actually make a difference this year? I hope Gray gets in and does well enough not to get hurt.I also hope we can limp through the rest of the season and Draft, or pick up some legitimate Free Agents to shore up our needs in all areas of need.

hardcorechiefsfan
10-23-2008, 04:16 AM
I can only go by film and numbers at this point. But from what I've seen, his form, reading, and athleticism have put him above everyone else posing as QB and collecting a paycheck from One Arrowhead Drive.

In my eyes, he had those fools beat hands-down before the ink dried on his new contract.

I was just saying what I did because we see to have 3 sucky QB's to go with our sucky chiefs. I will try to be open minded until I see him play some games.

YZILLA
10-23-2008, 04:25 AM
Who said he had a week arm?

YouTube - Quinn Gray Touchdown Bomb

YZILLA
10-23-2008, 04:29 AM
Heres another look at him.

YouTube - Quinn Gray Highlights 2008

chief31
10-23-2008, 04:37 AM
The point is we had to get a QB or two to keep the postition filled, Who knows how long Ingle or Thigpen can hold out. We have to keep a supply , Two is definately not enough to finish the season on this team. Yeah of coarse we need to get our O-line fixed. Who is out there that we can spend some Cap money on to actually make a difference this year? I hope Gray gets in and does well enough not to get hurt.I also hope we can limp through the rest of the season and Draft, or pick up some legitimate Free Agents to shore up our needs in all areas of need.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you here. There is nothing that can be done right now.

And, like I said, I like Gray, as far as guys who no other team wanted go.

I just have a problem getting excited about any QB signing, with the conditions that we have set-up for them. Especially when we just found-out that our #1 & #2 QBs both just had their seasons ended.

And to hear everybody start calling Croyle names, because he played injured, and got injured further, playing behind Herms world-class o-line, tends to make me a bit sour.

Also, with everybody wanting to draft a QB with our very high first round pick in '09, this tells me that we are readt to accept that we can't have an o-line, and that we may as well get a rookie QB that can make it through a few games of this.

Not only do I hate that it could be a huge waste of a very high draft pick, due to the threat of injury, but I hate that that means we would be putting the o-line on the back burner, yet again.

SInce I believe that it takes one season of working together to realize the potential of an o-line group, and taking it seriously wouldn't happen until '10s draft, that puts us at 2011, before we can expect to have an NFL offense on the field.

YZILLA
10-23-2008, 04:42 AM
Great points ! I Hope that Gray does well enough to keep us respectful at least . But I do hope we get a franchise QB somewhere. We have alot of work to do before we fix the QB problem though . Its funny how everyone in the world can see whats wrong with this team but our management is blind to it.

chief31
10-23-2008, 04:49 AM
Great points ! I Hope that Gray does well enough to keep us respectful at least . But I do hope we get a franchise QB somewhere. We have alot of work to do before we fix the QB problem though . Its funny how everyone in the world can see whats wrong with this team but our management is blind to it.

The sole reason that I get so 'fired-up' about all of this, and the same is true of all the other folks who get bashed for being negative, is because I don't want The Chiefs to be this bad agian.

So, we yeall, and scream, at the top of our lungs all season, in hopes that we will be heard, and management will get things taken care of.

I love my Chiefs, same as all of the rest of you. And I want them to be a good team, not this.

So, I show anger toward my team. I express dissapointment with them. And I hope that they will make the neccassary improvements.

My opinion for improvements is "O-Line". So you will hear me yelling that, above all other issues. (Except maybe Herm. But that is primarily because he doesn't do O-Line.)

Three7s
10-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Who said he had a week arm?

YouTube - Quinn Gray Touchdown Bomb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzYH5HkOT88)
That was me. :D

Sure, he aired it out, but if you look carefully, he underthrew the receiver, you want to hit the receiver over his head in stride. He had to turn around. He doesn't have as much zip as those with stronger arms.

Darth CarlSatan
10-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?p=103197#post103197)

Since we're talking QB's and pass protection, how does "opening up holes" factor in to this?

Because we are talking about o-line quality. Watch some time. You can see the o-linemen trying to open running lanes.

And again, this has to do with passing HOW???

I never said the line was great at opening holes. But to say the team is incapable of "addressing the O-Line properly" is a no-win debate with you.

How do you figure? This is your first discussion with me on the matter, and you have already given up?

When you said "throw excuses out the window" di you mean so you could catch them and immediately use them?

Saying something is a 'no-win' debate sounds like the frontline of all excuses to me.

I don't need to know you or anyone else personally to make my point on this; I've been listening to this same complaint, every season, for 12 years.

Of the five starting positions, we had one secured. The team added one through the draft, and none from free agency. (No, I don't count anything past the fourth round of the draft, and I don't count any of the waiver-wire garbage that mediocre teams have scraped off their boot as anything either.)

If that is how you address starting positions on an NFL football team, then you have no clue.

Which free agents should we have picked up? Was there any real talent to be had? I'll concede the waiver point, but since I( or everyone else for that matter )can't decipher Herm Edwards, I really can't give you the kind of answer you're looking for, except to say that if they're committed to a "youth movement", why are you gonna' pull a "Dick Vermeil" and draft / free-agent for today?
Why are you gonna' bring in 3 year and up used legs? Do you know how many leg surgeries NFL linemen average in their careers? 10 or MORE.
If there's one position on a football team where youth will be served at the same level as experience; the NFL Lineman is IT.

Should we have gone to the 08 draft and used every Ace Card to acquire Offensive Linemen? And if we had, would you now be 100% satisfied because of it?

Exaggeration is yet another excuse. Instead of actually using some common sense, you just act like nothing would ever be good enough for me, and throw your e-arms in the air in frustraion? Stop it! Act like a man.

See last reply.

No, no you wouldn't.

Here is another brilliant debate tactic. Assure me that you know me better than I know myself, and that I would never accept anything.

You're right; I have NO idea what Chiefs fans think, as they never express their opinions. And, because you are an island and isolated from the rest of the fan base, it's wrong for me to assume that I might know what you makes you tick.
:rolleyes:

You and a thousand other people would be moaning and groaning about the vast amounts of swiss cheese in the defense and special teams.

Tell me something I DON'T know. Nonetheless, a fact is a fact, and the overall "roundness" of the defense would be in much sorrier state than it is now.

Wait a second. I watched a pretty decent defense, for most of last season. And I watche dthe worst offense in the NFL. (Special teams too, but that is late-round stuff.)
So are you saying that we should have kept more Vets? It doesn't matter; last year is dead and gone.
So understanding that, let us keep the debate within the paradigm we find ourselves:
Say it with me; "Youth Movement".
One more time; "Youth Movement".
Point starting to sink in, yes?
And just for the record; I watched a defense that just gave up 100% after the loss to Green Bay at Arrowhead.

Read around new guy. I do. But that is no excuse for ignore three starting positions on the offesne, not to mention several depth positions.

Depth Positions or Offensive Line; where are we going here? Are we going to tack on new subjects to this debate on a whim, or are we sticking with program?

BS! If that were the average then noone would pass, and we would be a whole lot better than we are. Don't make-up numbers. Do some research on the subject. I don't deal well with others' imagination. And the half-second difference between two and a half, to three is a s***load, when we are talking about finding an open reciever.

I'll subtract the .5 and concede to you one more FULL second( and keep in mind I'm talking about having your entire person firmly planted in one spot after coming off the snap), anything after that; you'd better hop back on Mr. Rodgers Trolley, and ride your butt on out of the Land Of Make-Believe.

Survey SAYS!???:
"CORRECT"!
BUT...

It sure was.
That said, regardless of that lines talent or the lack thereof, two different Quarterbacks played behind it; one was a producer( which we so wisely p*ssed away ), and one was not( which of course we kept. )
And that's what this entire debate comes down to; who has the raw skill and drive to make things happen, even in the worst of situations.

Now; I generally choose Dr. Pepper to go with my Crow, but Coca Cola works great too. I'm gonna' run to the fridge real quick and get you a bottle.
I do prefer being a gracious winner...:D
:yahoo::bananen_smilies046::yahoo:

jtandcrew
10-24-2008, 05:23 AM
OK, I read about 4 posts of this thread. It isnt going to matter what arm strength he has. If you remember right Montana didnt have good arm strength but he was accurate. Now, before everyone staerts blasting me, I havent seen the kid play yet. Im just saying dont rule out anything. Brady was, what? A 6th round pick? Montana was what? Dawson was what? Elway was what? Kelly was what? Marino was what? The reason im asking is I dont remeber for 1. Plus im sure someone in thi8s grear QB group was a later pick than the 3rd round except when we chose Blacklidge (Which i cant remember what pick he was) Im just saying we need to look into more background rather than pick status.

kcchiefs4life
10-24-2008, 10:36 AM
I think the main thing here is simple. We all just want to see our chiefs win. I mean come on, we got destroyed a couple times this year.

This thread isn't about arguing or slamming other people, its people venting because seriously NEWS FLASH.....we DO suck this year.

I am excited about Grey coming into KC because it would be nice to see us at least contend with another teams, not just get wasted out there. I guess you have to look at it as a move in the direction of at least getting a QB who can throw the ball.

I am coming to the KC/bucs game and I just want to see the chiefs that I know/love play well!

jtandcrew
10-24-2008, 12:03 PM
I think the main thing here is simple. We all just want to see our chiefs win. I mean come on, we got destroyed a couple times this year.

This thread isn't about arguing or slamming other people, its people venting because seriously NEWS FLASH.....we DO suck this year.

I am excited about Grey coming into KC because it would be nice to see us at least contend with another teams, not just get wasted out there. I guess you have to look at it as a move in the direction of at least getting a QB who can throw the ball.

I am coming to the KC/bucs game and I just want to see the chiefs that I know/love play well!

Im always excited to see the Chiefs play! Grey for 1? Ill be excited when he gets into a game! Right now im more excited to see what Thigpen can do as he is our only option!

chief31
10-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?p=103197#post103197)

And again, this has to do with passing HOW???

It has to do with blocking. That's what O-linemen do. Well, not here they don't.

I don't need to know you or anyone else personally to make my point on this; I've been listening to this same complaint, every season, for 12 years.

Then you have been listening to retards. I was ecstatic about the Roaf, Shields days, and also loved the Alt, Szott days too. I have been complaining about the o-line since Herm, "I am gonna ruin as many QB careers as I can" Edwards arrived here.

Which free agents should we have picked up?

Max Starks, Mike Gandy, Eric Steinbach, Jeremy Newberry, Kris Dielman, Jason Fabini... just to name what I can remember.

(http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4340)

Was there any real talent to be had?

I wasn't even going to go there, but... Ryan Lilja and Alan Faneca were available. But I wasn't even asking for that serious of a commitment.

I'll concede the waiver point, but since I( or everyone else for that matter )can't decipher Herm Edwards, I really can't give you the kind of answer you're looking for, except to say that if they're committed to a "youth movement", why are you gonna' pull a "Dick Vermeil" and draft / free-agent for today?
Why are you gonna' bring in 3 year and up used legs?

To keep your young QB healthy. Think.

Do you know how many leg surgeries NFL linemen average in their careers? 10 or MORE.

Are you going to back-up these numbers? Or are you just making s*** up as you go again?

If there's one position on a football team where youth will be served at the same level as experience; the NFL Lineman is IT.

Can't put a price on experience, when you need to keep your QB on his feet.

Should we have gone to the 08 draft and used every Ace Card to acquire Offensive Linemen?

See last reply.

There was nothing there.

You're right; I have NO idea what Chiefs fans think, as they never express their opinions.

I am not Chiefs fans. I am Chief31. Try to keep the discussion here. If you want to argue with other Chiefs fans, then you can. But this one is special. It's ours. Mine and yours together. :character00100:

And, because you are an island and isolated from the rest of the fan base, it's wrong for me to assume that I might know what you makes you tick.
:rolleyes:

Now, what do they say about assuming? Yes. that is wrong. I am not shoving you into some Herm-loving camp, so don't throw me into some always with the same problem camp.

Tell me something I DON'T know. Nonetheless, a fact is a fact, and the overall "roundness" of the defense would be in much sorrier state than it is now.

Keep Jared Allen, and that isn't so.

So are you saying that we should have kept more Vets? It doesn't matter; last year is dead and gone.
So understanding that, let us keep the debate within the paradigm we find ourselves:
Say it with me; "Youth Movement".
One more time; "Youth Movement".
Point starting to sink in, yes?

So, you just change the whole purpose of the discussion whenever you are getting Pwned? Drunk Hillbilly? Is that you?

The point of the discussion is judging a QB who has no protection, caused by poor offensive line play.

Since we're talking QB's and pass protection

See? So let's just stick with that for now. If you want to move on to the "youth movement" discussion after this one, I'm with you.

And just for the record; I watched a defense that just gave up 100% after the loss to Green Bay at Arrowhead.

Me too. They played pretty well, when they thought they were actually there for a reason.

Depth Positions or Offensive Line; where are we going here? Are we going to tack on new subjects to this debate on a whim, or are we sticking with program?

I didn't mean to make it seem so difficult for you. That would be depth on the offensive line. Whenever you get lost like that, just tell yourself
Since we're talking QB's and pass protection. That might help you to stay on-topic.

But to the matter at hand, the average "safety time before getting sacked/having to scramble" in the pocket is 2.5 to three seconds.

I'll subtract the .5 and concede to you one more FULL second( and keep in mind I'm talking about having your entire person firmly planted in one spot after coming off the snap), anything after that; you'd better hop back on Mr. Rodgers Trolley, and ride your butt on out of the Land Of Make-Believe.

The Land of Make believe. Like where you get your numbers? Granting a mis-calculation, then covering it with more dreamed-up numbers doesn't accomplish anything.

It sure was.
That said, regardless of that lines talent or the lack thereof, two different Quarterbacks played behind it; one was a producer( which we so wisely p*ssed away ), and one was not( which of course we kept. )

So, what you are saying is that it is reasonable to judge a QB when they have protection? I agree in full.

And that's what this entire debate comes down to; who has the raw skill and drive to make things happen, even in the worst of situations.

But that wasn't the "worst situation". That was a good situation. Having the time to make reads, and go through regular progression is a good situation. Certainly not the worst.

Now; I generally choose Dr. Pepper to go with my Crow, but Coca Cola works great too. I'm gonna' run to the fridge real quick and get you a bottle.
I do prefer being a gracious winner...:D
:yahoo::bananen_smilies046::yahoo:

I will repeat the purpose of the discussion for you.
Since we're talking QB's and pass protection

And, just for clarity, I am the one who says that poor protection will get you poor QB play from just about any QB. You....seem to disagree.

Darth CarlSatan
10-24-2008, 10:27 PM
I will repeat the purpose of the discussion for you.

And, just for clarity, I am the one who says that poor protection will get you poor QB play from just about any QB. You....seem to disagree.

I'm glad it took you only 24 + hours to come up with that in-depth response, and a response that in at least two instances look like they were haphazardly committed to this debate as casually as the European Country Lords of old used to throw dinner bones over their shoulders to the dogs at the hearth.
I promise I'll try my best to put my response together in at least half that time, but it looks like I'm going to have to prepare a full-blown media presentation to make you see the light.
Until then,
DCS.

chief31
10-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm glad it took you only 24 + hours to come up with that in-depth response, and a response that in at least two instances look like they were haphazardly committed to this debate as casually as the European Country Lords of old used to throw dinner bones over their shoulders to the dogs at the hearth.
I promise I'll try my best to put my response together in at least half that time, but it looks like I'm going to have to prepare a full-blown media presentation to make you see the light.
Until then,
DCS.

Colorful I will give you that. Although it just tends to come out as babbling, when it takes that long to get to the point.

But, again, you're assuming. I actually had it done about twenty hours ago, but my PC at work doesn't let me copy/paste from a reply draft, and signs me out, as I am typing. So I often lose entire posts like that.

Regardless, it's a BB, not an IM. Rather I get to you immediately, or in a day or two, the result is the same.

Darth CarlSatan
10-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Colorful I will give you that. Although it just tends to come out as babbling, when it takes that long to get to the point.

But, again, you're assuming. I actually had it done about twenty hours ago, but my PC at work doesn't let me copy/paste from a reply draft, and signs me out, as I am typing. So I often lose entire posts like that.

Regardless, it's a BB, not an IM. Rather I get to you immediately, or in a day or two, the result is the same.

Very well then; it is obvious that we are not debating the same subject.
I am stating that a great QB will get better results( not incremental, but not leaps and bounds either )behind the same line as a Carl Peterson yard-sale pick me up.
In MY debate, the line itself is static; the results of the QB behind it are what's in question.

The other point, and what started all of this to begin with, is that there are those who are calling for the Chiefs to completely abandon the idea of using the 2009 draft and the strategic position we will once again have in it( sadly ),to pick up a LEGITIMATE understudy at the Quarterback position.

Now; I just got done looking at Stafford's overall college stats. And to be honest, the film looks better than the numbers.
I plan to spend a good portion of my free time looking under every stone to try and get a clear picture of who we might have to choose from.
And if there really are no prospects to be had, then so be it; fill this roster top to bottom with Linemen and at least ONE OLB that can replace the utterly pathetic Pat Thomas. I'm not ready to give up on DJ just yet because I'm a firm believer that he, DeMorrio, and Morgan have what it takes when THEY'RE the ones on the job.
The Denver game is stone-cold solid proof of this, and I will broker NO GRUFF to the contrary.
We can save some cap space by putting Herb Taylor to work as well. Albert went out, Herb came in, and he had a great game. Let us( as I stated in a different thread where 'Pawnshop' and I concurred brilliance )establish a 'Meritocracy' ala College Ball( since we're in a "Youth Movement" anyway )whereby those who can play get to PLAY, and ditch the deadweight.

But understand THIS:

We...Have...NO...TOOLS in the Quarterback department. Period. Perhaps upcoming Quarterback #2,364-plus change just might be the odds-breaker, but I think we both know better.
This franchise has had a grand total of three genuine performers in it's 40+year history. One of which was a complete no-brainer that a high school coach could have picked from a thousand miles away, and known great results would be the outcome.
Now if you want to make Trent Green number 4, be my guest. But I never saw a level of play out of that guy that made me want to walk around with his jersey on. And even if you do; that's STILL one suck-a** grand total.
Now maybe where you and I disagree is this notion that you could put Thigpen behind the vintage Pittsburg "Iron Curtain", and he becomes Mr. All World.
Bullsh*t.
Talent is as talent does, and baby; he AIN'T got it.
So my main point is that perhaps it just might be time to break the chain of stupidity.

So draft great linemen, draft great Linebackers, and draft a new Waterboy if it tickles your 'naughty bits'.
But when THAT is accomplished, what's say we draft someone great to LEAD THEM.
(as we currently have no one).

Darth CarlSatan
10-25-2008, 12:12 AM
And one more thing:
Time is of the essence. If we can't get a contender this draft, we'll probably have to wait until the end of the 2010 season to do so.
I say this because I want NO ONE to live under the dillusion that Bradford or McCoy have something to offer the Chiefs; they don't.

chief31
10-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Very well then; it is obvious that we are not debating the same subject.
I am stating that a great QB will get better results( not incremental, but not leaps and bounds either )behind the same line as a Carl Peterson yard-sale pick me up.
In MY debate, the line itself is static; the results of the QB behind it are what's in question.

The other point, and what started all of this to begin with, is that there are those who are calling for the Chiefs to completely abandon the idea of using the 2009 draft and the strategic position we will once again have in it( sadly ),to pick up a LEGITIMATE understudy at the Quarterback position.

Now; I just got done looking at Stafford's overall college stats. And to be honest, the film looks better than the numbers.
I plan to spend a good portion of my free time looking under every stone to try and get a clear picture of who we might have to choose from.
And if there really are no prospects to be had, then so be it; fill this roster top to bottom with Linemen and at least ONE OLB that can replace the utterly pathetic Pat Thomas. I'm not ready to give up on DJ just yet because I'm a firm believer that he, DeMorrio, and Morgan have what it takes when THEY'RE the ones on the job.
The Denver game is stone-cold solid proof of this, and I will broker NO GRUFF to the contrary.
We can save some cap space by putting Herb Taylor to work as well. Albert went out, Herb came in, and he had a great game. Let us( as I stated in a different thread where 'Pawnshop' and I concurred brilliance )establish a 'Meritocracy' ala College Ball( since we're in a "Youth Movement" anyway )whereby those who can play get to PLAY, and ditch the deadweight.

But understand THIS:

We...Have...NO...TOOLS in the Quarterback department. Period. Perhaps upcoming Quarterback #2,364-plus change just might be the odds-breaker, but I think we both know better.
This franchise has had a grand total of three genuine performers in it's 40+year history. One of which was a complete no-brainer that a high school coach could have picked from a thousand miles away, and known great results would be the outcome.
Now if you want to make Trent Green number 4, be my guest. But I never saw a level of play out of that guy that made me want to walk around with his jersey on. And even if you do; that's STILL one suck-a** grand total.
Now maybe where you and I disagree is this notion that you could put Thigpen behind the vintage Pittsburg "Iron Curtain", and he becomes Mr. All World.
Bullsh*t.
Talent is as talent does, and baby; he AIN'T got it.
So my main point is that perhaps it just might be time to break the chain of stupidity.

So draft great linemen, draft great Linebackers, and draft a new Waterboy if it tickles your 'naughty bits'.
But when THAT is accomplished, what's say we draft someone great to LEAD THEM.
(as we currently have no one).

I am one who would be thrilled to wait on a QB. And there are three main reasons.

1.) I don't know what we have with our current QBs.

You said it. A great QB does better in almost all situations. Even Favre played like garbage when the situation was bad enough. ('05)

Combine that with the beginning of a QBs career, and it's even harder to see what you have.

Croyle started eight games, and had a bad go of it. (0-8) But Troy Aikman went 0-11, with twice as many INTs as TDs. Peyton Manning didn't do much better. He was 3-13 as a rookie. (He did get some decent stats though.)

Injury prone? That is certainly arguable. But I find it hard to label him as injury-prone, when Herm Edwards has proven himself to be hazardous to his own QBs health, more than Croyle has been injured.

So I play the odds on this, and lay the fault on Herm. (Who has hurt more QBs than Reggie White and Deacon Jones combined.)

It certainly doesn't help that Croyle was forced to play, when he said that his body wasn't ready.

2.) I hate the idea of forcing another rookie to come in and take the beating right away. I prefer to create an environment that allows a QB to be successful.

You bring in some rookie QB and get his eggs scrambled right off the bat, how is that guy gonna be a leader?

Give the guy a chance. Protect him.

3.) Finding great o-linemen is easier than finding a great QB, and far less risky.

How many QBs did The browns draft before they decided to draft Joe Thomas instead of another QB?

How many QBs did The Dolphins draft, before they decided to take Jake Long?

Everybody thinks that you have to have a super-human QB. But it seems to be the O-linemen that wind-up making the difference for them. And that super-human QB only comes around once, every ten years or so.

There is a top-notch o-lineman in just about every draft, and he usually gets drafted after a QB that winds-up being a nothing. (Because he didn't have the o-line to be successful.)

4.) It's easier to make a great QB from a great o-line, than to make a great o-line from a great QB.

No explanation needed. Trent Green.

As for great Chiefs performers... 4? Including Green?

Len Dawson, Art Still, DT, Willie Lanier, Will Shields, Emmitt Thomas, Christian Okoye, Jan Stenerude, Buck Buchanan, Albert Lewis, Bobby Bell, Dave Hill, John Alt.... Which four are you seeing? There are six Hall Of Fame guys on my list, and none of them is DT.

Lastly, I don't care how much 'gruff' you want to 'broker', The Denver Donkos were the biggest reason for the outcome of that game. (I do like our young CBs...so far.)

If you are going to use the Donkos game as the 'end-all, be-all' for measuring our team, then Damon Huard is awesome! And that LJ guy kicks *** too! Not to mention, we have a dominant o-line!

Bike
10-25-2008, 01:53 AM
And, just for clarity, I am the one who says that poor protection will get you poor QB play from just about any QB.
Does this mean that good protection will get you good QB play from just about any QB? Not necessarily. A good QB needs many other credentials besides a functional OL to be successful. Some of these intangibles might include the ability to lead, to command respect from your teammates, to command respect from your opponent, to know and take advantage of your teams strengths and your opponents weaknesses. Must possess the ability to make sound decisions in a split second. Must instill confidence in your teammates.
And on and on.
And I have yet to mention any physical skills needed such as accurately throwing or scrambling.
Hell, I think George Patton or Norman Schwartzkoff would had both been great QB's in the NFL, and I've never seen either one throw or run.
Its the way they led men in battle that set them apart. Their men wanted to fight - and win.
Leadership is the key, and we have zero at the moment.
Find our field general first, then bring in the infantry!
(Sorry to butt in on your debate.)

chief31
10-25-2008, 02:08 AM
And, just for clarity, I am the one who says that poor protection will get you poor QB play from just about any QB.
Does this mean that good protection will get you good QB play from just about any QB?

No. But it improves the chances greatly.

Not necessarily. A good QB needs many other credentials besides a functional OL to be successful. Some of these intangibles might include the ability to lead, to command respect from your teammates, to command respect from your opponent, to know and take advantage of your teams strengths and your opponents weaknesses. Must possess the ability to make sound decisions in a split second. Must instill confidence in your teammates.
And on and on.
And I have yet to mention any physical skills needed such as accurately throwing or scrambling.
Hell, I think George Patton or Norman Schwartzkoff would had both been great QB's in the NFL, and I've never seen either one throw or run.
Its the way they led men in battle that set them apart. Their men wanted to fight - and win.

Without an army, that General gets killed pretty quickly by the other army. How long would Patton have survived without an army?

And a decent QB with a great o-line becomes a General in a hurry.

Bike
10-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Without an army, that General gets killed pretty quickly by the other army. How long would Patton have survived without an army?

Theres no doubt you need both. I'm just saying find a qb that can lead - that the rest of the offense will fight for, should be first priority for this team.

m0ef0e
10-25-2008, 02:14 AM
If you are going to use the Donkos game as the 'end-all, be-all' for measuring our team, then Damon Huard is awesome! And that LJ guy kicks *** too! Not to mention, we have a dominant o-line!

Damon was good a few years ago. LJ is a punk.

But man................

I'm gettin a lil sick of the gloom and doom, end all be all....

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!!!

about the oline.

Fact is,

we all know curl peckerson and germ headwards are the mad scientists that have conceived this mutation and it actually is beginning to consume us all.....

Chins up, guys!

RALLY

once this abortion is finished and we have management and coaching....

yea, thats about it.... management and coaching.... once we get that...

chief31
10-25-2008, 02:22 AM

But man................

about the oline.

Me too. I'd like to see the situation change this off-season. (You blocked my color response!)

Fact is,

we all know curl peckerson and germ headwards are the mad scientists that have conceived this mutation and it actually is beginning to consume us all.....

Chins up, guys!

RALLY

I am a Cubs fan. That makes me a professional at rooting for a loser.

All you have to do is rant & rave, fling your arms about wildly, stomp and cuss, rant & rave some more... Then rinse & repeat. After a dozen years, you'll have it down.:lol:

Here's to hoping that we change things very soon. :bananen_smilies046:

Three7s
10-25-2008, 02:26 AM
I am a Cubs fan. That makes me a professional at rooting for a loser.

All you have to do is rant & rave, fling your arms about wildly, stomp and cuss, rant & rave some more... Then rinse & repeat. After a dozen years, you'll have it down.:lol:

Here's to hoping that we change things very soon. :bananen_smilies046:
Cubs aren't as big of loser as the team we have in KC! They just haven't been to a WS in over half a century and haven't won one for exactly a century!

Bike
10-25-2008, 02:27 AM

But man................

about the oline.

Fact is,

Chins up, guys!

RALLY

Clark take heed!!:bananen_smilies046:

Bike
10-25-2008, 02:32 AM
Cubs aren't as big of loser as the team we have in KC! They just haven't been to a WS in over half a century and haven't won one for exactly a century!
And they had the 85 Bears! Mcmahon, Fridge, Singletary. What an intense backer that guy was.
Hard to believe its been over 20 years...

chief31
10-25-2008, 02:36 AM
And they had the 85 Bears! Mcmahon, Fridge, Singletary. What an intense backer that guy was.
Hard to believe its been over 20 years...
The Bears blow! But Michael Jordan was the baddest mutha I have ever seen in any sport! :yahoo:

Bike
10-25-2008, 02:42 AM
The Bears blow! But Michael Jordan was the baddest mutha I have ever seen in any sport! :yahoo:
The bears blew alright - right past the pats by over 30 points in the superbowl!!
Can't argue about Michael though...:bananen_smilies046:

Darth CarlSatan
10-25-2008, 03:09 AM
I am one who would be thrilled to wait on a QB. And there are three main reasons.

1.) I don't know what we have with our current QBs.

You said it. A great QB does better in almost all situations. Even Favre played like garbage when the situation was bad enough. ('05)

Combine that with the beginning of a QBs career, and it's even harder to see what you have.

Croyle started eight games, and had a bad go of it. (0-8) But Troy Aikman went 0-11, with twice as many INTs as TDs. Peyton Manning didn't do much better. He was 3-13 as a rookie. (He did get some decent stats though.)

Injury prone? That is certainly arguable. But I find it hard to label him as injury-prone, when Herm Edwards has proven himself to be hazardous to his own QBs health, more than Croyle has been injured.

So I play the odds on this, and lay the fault on Herm. (Who has hurt more QBs than Reggie White and Deacon Jones combined.)

It certainly doesn't help that Croyle was forced to play, when he said that his body wasn't ready.

2.) I hate the idea of forcing another rookie to come in and take the beating right away. I prefer to create an environment that allows a QB to be successful.

You bring in some rookie QB and get his eggs scrambled right off the bat, how is that guy gonna be a leader?

Give the guy a chance. Protect him.

I don't want him thrown in the fire, I want him to have a minimum one-year "residency", so to speak. Obviously, he'll need to put in some field time, but I'll leave that to the coaches to define the time and place. The sooner we can at least accomplish that, the better prepared our "QB of the future"( Good God that phrase is starting to wear thin on me )will be when the time comes to unleash him.

3.) Finding great o-linemen is easier than finding a great QB, and far less risky.

How many QBs did The browns draft before they decided to draft Joe Thomas instead of another QB?

How many QBs did The Dolphins draft, before they decided to take Jake Long?

Everybody thinks that you have to have a super-human QB. But it seems to be the O-linemen that wind-up making the difference for them. And that super-human QB only comes around once, every ten years or so.

There is a top-notch o-lineman in just about every draft, and he usually gets drafted after a QB that winds-up being a nothing. (Because he didn't have the o-line to be successful.)
It is a crap-shoot, no doubt about it. Someone here at one point actually threw Lienart's name out as a prospect! What do you want to bet that Arizona would be ungodly generous in that trade-scenario( take my wife, please! lol. )
That said, I do believe that if we use the proper criteria in judging the college prospects, we would be better off in picking up a new kid than a free agent for the long haul.
I just realized that 'SLC' did mention that Stafford plays behind a "horrible" O-Line, and that probably has a lot to do with why his numbers in certain areas barely surpass 50% So at least one thing we should place in a high priority is the kid who can turn sh*t to shinola.
Build and athleticism are just as important. Guys like McCoy and Bradford make it look so easy, so natural, and so "All-World", but as you say yourself; they're working under almost ideal conditions. They have better arms and reading/adjustment skills than most other college QB's, and much swifter and surgical delivery than Croyle did at Alabama. But put them behind our current line, and they're Linebacker Lunch all day long. They go to join Brodie on the farm sooner rather than later.
I'm kind of torn between a guy like Stafford who weighs in on the "husky" side of the scale versus a guy like "Juice" who is skin and muscle, and as a result is a lot faster in the backfield.
I sure would like to pick up another VT stud that has enough of both; that program is just crankin' em out like nobody's business when it comes to guys who can shift right on in to the NFL without missing a beat.
As a side-note, their fan-base is phenominal. I was watching some footage on you tube today, and they were blasting out vintage Arrowhead volume and then-some. Great Program.
So in short; fast and tough with the ability to scramble and throw surgically on the run works for me.

4.) It's easier to make a great QB from a great o-line, than to make a great o-line from a great QB.

No explanation needed. Trent Green.

As for great Chiefs performers... 4? Including Green?

Len Dawson, Art Still, DT, Willie Lanier, Will Shields, Emmitt Thomas, Christian Okoye, Jan Stenerude, Buck Buchanan, Albert Lewis, Bobby Bell, Dave Hill, John Alt.... Which four are you seeing? There are six Hall Of Fame guys on my list, and none of them is DT.

Four Quarterbacks.

Lastly, I don't care how much 'gruff' you want to 'broker', The Denver Donkos were the biggest reason for the outcome of that game. (I do like our young CBs...so far.)

Not to measure the team. But to measure the LB's, Secondary, and Herb Taylor?
All Day, Every Day, and for the Rest of My Life YES.
I'm not a slave to statistics alone. There are a great number of intangibles that come with this sport. And my greatest strength, though I'm working to increase my knowledge in the Science of the game, is an almost flawless ability to see them, measure them, and judge them accordingly as they relate to the overall strength or weakness of the team.
Shortly after the draft, I went online to watch footage of our top four picks. As you can imagine, it was "Dorsey Mania" all day long, 24/7. So I watched Glenn's footage and as a result, I felt a little bit better about the long-term rammifications of the Jared Allen fallout.
I moved on to Albert. He looked solid, but I honestly didn't have enough know how to evaluate an Offensive Lineman because I'm a Defense Junkie, and it's hard for me to get excited about the offensive side of the line.
On to Charles. Kid looked fast and tough, though he obviously favored shuck and jive over plowin' through the traffic. I pegged him as a worthy candidate for return duty.
Lastly, I arrived at the 'underdog' pick; Brandon Flowers. I watched his reel ONE TIME, and I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face for an hour because I knew right then and there; he was the home-run.
I promptly raced my a** over to the Forum I was a member of at the time, and I threw it down:
"THIS guy is the star, this guy RIGHT HERE".
And back it came:
"Too short". "Not Fast Enough". "Not a Shut-Down Guy".

Blah......Blah......Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh" etc.

I would NOT be swayed:
"You are wrong, I am right, and you WILL learn the error of your ways, I promise".

Two days in to Camp? The "It"-Guy. Few days later? BUZZ-BUZZ-BUZZ-BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ etc.
Game after game? Consistent, and more so than any other rookie in the bunch.

The Denver game showed me that our defensive roster that day had the necessary chemistry and Mojo to be succesful. And I will bank on that roster without hesitation all-day, every-day until I'm proven wrong.

I knew Barth was the right man for HIS job, and I couldn't believe he was passed over!
Well guess who's back in town?
And I can call this sh*t correctly ALL DAY LONG.
Throw Herm's "Magic 8-Ball" in the dumpster and send him directly to The Source; ME.
With the proper information, I am NEVER wrong about these things. Ever.

Darth CarlSatan
10-25-2008, 03:43 AM
Does this mean that good protection will get you good QB play from just about any QB? Not necessarily. A good QB needs many other credentials besides a functional OL to be successful. Some of these intangibles might include the ability to lead, to command respect from your teammates, to command respect from your opponent, to know and take advantage of your teams strengths and your opponents weaknesses. Must possess the ability to make sound decisions in a split second. Must instill confidence in your teammates.
And on and on.

Valid points all. I think we're getting close to a consensus( not that anything WE say or do will ever have any pull with the franchise...)however.

Chief from the North
10-25-2008, 10:24 AM
A legend in your own mind. :lol:

Not to measure the team. But to measure the LB's, Secondary, and Herb Taylor?
All Day, Every Day, and for the Rest of My Life YES.
I'm not a slave to statistics alone. There are a great number of intangibles that come with this sport. And my greatest strength, though I'm working to increase my knowledge in the Science of the game, is an almost flawless ability to see them, measure them, and judge them accordingly as they relate to the overall strength or weakness of the team.
Shortly after the draft, I went online to watch footage of our top four picks. As you can imagine, it was "Dorsey Mania" all day long, 24/7. So I watched Glenn's footage and as a result, I felt a little bit better about the long-term rammifications of the Jared Allen fallout.
I moved on to Albert. He looked solid, but I honestly didn't have enough know how to evaluate an Offensive Lineman because I'm a Defense Junkie, and it's hard for me to get excited about the offensive side of the line.
On to Charles. Kid looked fast and tough, though he obviously favored shuck and jive over plowin' through the traffic. I pegged him as a worthy candidate for return duty.
Lastly, I arrived at the 'underdog' pick; Brandon Flowers. I watched his reel ONE TIME, and I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face for an hour because I knew right then and there; he was the home-run.
I promptly raced my a** over to the Forum I was a member of at the time, and I threw it down:
"THIS guy is the star, this guy RIGHT HERE".
And back it came:
"Too short". "Not Fast Enough". "Not a Shut-Down Guy".

Blah......Blah......Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh" etc.

I would NOT be swayed:
"You are wrong, I am right, and you WILL learn the error of your ways, I promise".

Two days in to Camp? The "It"-Guy. Few days later? BUZZ-BUZZ-BUZZ-BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ etc.
Game after game? Consistent, and more so than any other rookie in the bunch.

The Denver game showed me that our defensive roster that day had the necessary chemistry and Mojo to be succesful. And I will bank on that roster without hesitation all-day, every-day until I'm proven wrong.

I knew Barth was the right man for HIS job, and I couldn't believe he was passed over!
Well guess who's back in town?
Throw Herm's "Magic 8-Ball" in the dumpster and send him directly to The Source; ME.

Bike
10-25-2008, 11:49 AM

Never say never. Ever.
If you have to remind us how you are NEVER wrong in your posts, you will lose credibility - fast.
I guess since you are always correct, I will put everybody else on my ignore list!!
Hindsight is 20/20, bro.

jerhart
10-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Never say never. Ever.
If you have to remind us how you are NEVER wrong in your posts, you will lose credibility - fast.
I guess since you are always correct, I will put everybody else on my ignore list!!
Hindsight is 20/20, bro.

Nice. :sign0098:

Darth CarlSatan
10-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Never say never. Ever.
Hindsight is 20/20, bro.

I never said my posts here we're flawless. What I said is, that I can pick em. And I will stand by that today, tomorrow, and until I am proven wrong.

Darth CarlSatan
10-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Nice. :sign0098:

Can we please READ the post before skimming to the last paragraph and putting our two cents in?:rolleyes:

Darth CarlSatan
10-26-2008, 05:11 AM

General Patton could have walked through the streets of Tokyo in broad daylight by himself, killed Tojo, and got back home in time to have a round of 'over-the-phone' chess with Truman before going to bed.

Greatest American Warrior Ever.

jerhart
10-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Can we please READ the post before skimming to the last paragraph and putting our two cents in?:rolleyes:

...well you tend to write novels...and dont bold words such as "me....never.....ever" if you dont want people skimming and jumping to the last paragraph...Dont bold words at the end of your novel.

...and btw...you will be wrong on this forum...

Take it easy today during the game brudda, and dont let your ego get you down... :D

spiman
10-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Never say never. Ever.
Hindsight is 20/20, bro. Never seems like a long time.. Never say never. :bananen_smilies046: Allways Right: Everyone is right about God. All concepts of God are correct. All ways to God are right. God is always right (http://patheticpoetry-srs.blogspot.com/2007/08/all-ways-right.html).

spiman
10-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Never say never. Ever.
Hindsight is 20/20, bro. Never seems like a long time.. Never say never. :bananen_smilies046: Allways Right: Everyone is right about God. All concepts of God are correct. All ways to God are right. God is always right (http://patheticpoetry-srs.blogspot.com/2007/08/all-ways-right.html).

Darth CarlSatan
10-26-2008, 01:26 PM
...well you tend to write novels...and dont bold words such as "me....never.....ever" if you dont want people skimming and jumping to the last paragraph...Dont bold words at the end of your novel.

...and btw...you will be wrong on this forum...

Take it easy today during the game brudda, and dont let your ego get you down... :D

Request DENIED!

Darth CarlSatan
10-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Never seems like a long time.. Never say never. :bananen_smilies046: Allways Right: Everyone is right about God. All concepts of God are correct. All ways to God are right. God is always right (http://patheticpoetry-srs.blogspot.com/2007/08/all-ways-right.html).

Who's this "God" character you keep referring to?:sign0094:

Bike
10-26-2008, 03:37 PM
I never said my posts here we're flawless. What I said is, that I can pick em. And I will stand by that today, tomorrow, and until I am proven wrong.
Yeah but the only problem with that is nobody here gives a sh!t....

jerhart
10-26-2008, 03:38 PM

EXACTLY! I like how this kid thinks he is god's gift.

Darth CarlSatan
10-26-2008, 03:41 PM

I'm glad you have the ability to speak for everyone. You must be psychic.

jerhart
10-26-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm glad you have the ability to speak for everyone. You must be psychic.

Nope....he just has something called intelligence.

Darth CarlSatan
10-26-2008, 03:45 PM
EXACTLY! I like how this kid thinks he is god's gift.

Prove me wrong!

If either of you don't like what I have to say, guess what?

I don't GIVE A F*CK.

If you have something to say, then say it. But coming through and posting your little "drive-by's" just makes the both of you look like a couple of tools.

jerhart
10-26-2008, 03:47 PM
If you have something to say, then say it.

Hmmmmkay...your c*cky and I think you may be part retarded.

Bike
10-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Who's this "God" character you keep referring to?:sign0094:
He's the reason you're here. But thats a topic for another forum and another day. Chiefs are winning!!!!!

Bike
10-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Prove me wrong!

If either of you don't like what I have to say, guess what?

I don't GIVE A F*CK.

If you have something to say, then say it. But coming through and posting your little "drive-by's" just makes the both of you look like a couple of tools.
This is laughable. Have you ever read your own posts? I wouldn't if I were you....

Darth CarlSatan
10-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Nope....he just has something called intelligence.

Could'a fooled me.

Darth CarlSatan
10-26-2008, 04:19 PM
This is laughable. Have you ever read your own posts? I wouldn't if I were you....

Well apparently you and 'jetlag' worship my posts, as you can't seem to stay away from them and feel the need to put your two wooden nickles in every time.

And by the by, that's exactly what your input is worth money-wise.

Chief from the North
10-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Clearly you are WAAAAAAAY too smart for us at this forum. Why did you leave the last one you used to post at again? People not smart enough to see your obviously superiour scouting, drafting, and coaching skills there too?

Well apparently you and 'jetlag' worship my posts, as you can't seem to stay away from them and feel the need to put your two wooden nickles in every time.

And by the by, that's exactly what your input is worth money-wise.

Darth CarlSatan
10-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Clearly you are WAAAAAAAY too smart for us at this forum. Why did you leave the last one you used to post at again? People not smart enough to see your obviously superiour scouting, drafting, and coaching skills there too?

No, they were letting a couple of Colt and Raven fans run roughshod over the Chiefs fans, so I left.

hermhater
10-26-2008, 04:50 PM
What he hell is going on in here?

Three7s
10-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Nothing important.

spiman
10-26-2008, 04:57 PM
What getting a new QB not important...I give Thig a b plus today..

Bike
10-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Beer man!

Bike
10-26-2008, 05:07 PM
No, they were letting a couple of Colt and Raven fans run roughshod over the Chiefs fans, so I left.
Go back. You are obviously too intelligent for this forum.
After all, you are never never wrong. Ever.

hermhater
10-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Beer man!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/ http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/ http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/ http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/ http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/ http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/ http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/ http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/ http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/ http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

windwalker
10-26-2008, 05:16 PM

For this team, and O-line.. I would give Thig an A

Darth CarlSatan
10-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Go back. You are obviously too intelligent for this forum.
After all, you are never never wrong. Ever.

I like the way you keep repeating that mantra; please continue to do so and let it sink right on in!

Bike
10-26-2008, 05:44 PM
I like the way you keep repeating that mantra; please continue to do so and let it sink right on in!
Apparently it is not sinking in. I will spell it out for you again:
You have zero credibility here.
The only person that thinks highly of you is...you.

Darth CarlSatan
10-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Apparently it is not sinking in. I will spell it out for you again:
You have zero credibility here.
The only person that thinks highly of you is...you.

The genuine discourse between myself and a few others plus the Rep Adds beg to differ.

Bike
10-26-2008, 05:57 PM
The genuine discourse between myself and a few others plus the Rep Adds beg to differ.
Just quit talking about youself and talk about the Chiefs.
Dumba$$.

Three7s
10-26-2008, 06:05 PM
The way you two argue, it's like you're a couple! :lol:

Sorry, had too.

tornadospotter
10-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Well find out!!!

I say a A-.

Beer man!
I will take one!!!!

tornadospotter
10-26-2008, 06:26 PM

Sorry, had too.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Darth CarlSatan
10-26-2008, 06:51 PM

Sorry, had too.

I agree; it's ridiculous! And now he's attempting to DICTATE to me what I should and should not talk about!?

Jesus; this guy must have to ride solo in a two-seater, what with needing the passenger seat to hold his balls...:rolleyes:

Hayvern
10-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Looks like Culpepper is coming in to Arrowhead tomorrow for a meeting. Is this a good idea or not?

I personally think it is a bad idea. Edwards cannot coach this team to a win anyway, so it doesn't matter who is behind center. I am no longer worried about the play on the field as bad as it is. This is now a one man crusade against the worse coach in football at any level!!!

slc chief
10-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Looks like Culpepper is coming in to Arrowhead tomorrow for a meeting. Is this a good idea or not?

I personally think it is a bad idea. Edwards cannot coach this team to a win anyway, so it doesn't matter who is behind center. I am no longer worried about the play on the field as bad as it is. This is now a one man crusade against the worse coach in football at any level!!!
i say leave cullpepper at home he is a #### i wonder if he was watching thigpens performance today and getting nervous

Canada
10-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Hopefully Thigpens performance today can cast some doubt on Culpecker.

slc chief
10-26-2008, 09:24 PM

i like that culpecker now thats funny:funnypost:

Darth CarlSatan
10-26-2008, 09:34 PM
i say leave cullpepper at home he is a #### i wonder if he was watching thigpens performance today and getting nervous

Well, we have to have three active, don't we? And if that's the case, let him come on down and duke it out with Gray.
Or just ditch Ingle. Yep; ditch Ingle.

tornadospotter
10-26-2008, 10:07 PM
I say we sign him and keep all QB's we have, just because with Herm coaching, we may need them yet.

Darth CarlSatan
10-26-2008, 10:41 PM
I say we sign him and keep all QB's we have, just because with Herm coaching, we may need them yet.

Herm"The Stretcher"Edwards: Opponent's Best Friend.

No wonder he and Carl love each other so much; they ARE the Opponent's Best Friend!

And Al Davis Operatives.:D

With the exception of about five linemen, and a refusal to put the play makers on the field in favor of whatever reason keeps Page, Surtain, and Edwards in squad 1, there's no reason we can't win some games.

Williams was out there today( thank god ), but you gotta' have Morgan in there too because he and Williams together are better at stopping the run, and they tend to elevate the game of DJ and Pollard.
We got some weapons; we just need to use them.

chief31
10-27-2008, 12:36 AM

Yup.

Again...Yup.

For this team, and O-line.. I would give Thig an A

OMG that O-line did an amazing job of protecting him too. I was stunned! But still a terrific game from THigpen, who had all but bee cast aside to this point.

Darth CarlSatan
10-27-2008, 12:50 AM
Yup.

Again...Yup.

OMG that O-line did an amazing job of protecting him too. I was stunned! But still a terrific game from THigpen, who had all but bee cast aside to this point.

Who are you, and what have you done to my sparring partner?
:D

I've already put it out there on another post, but I'll ask you too:

Did we make any personnel adjustments up front, or do the Jets have a D-line and pass rush as "outstanding" as our own?
Was the kid tested, or was this another "Denver"?

chief31
10-27-2008, 01:26 AM
Who are you, and what have you done to my sparring partner?
:D

I've already put it out there on another post, but I'll ask you too:

Did we make any personnel adjustments up front, or do the Jets have a D-line and pass rush as "outstanding" as our own?
Was the kid tested, or was this another "Denver"?

This is the first game that I have been able to watch live, and I have yet to go back and review it, but I know that I liked what I saw today.

That said, that is only two games, out of seven.

But, I am not going to give all of the credit for Thigpens game to the o-line. They just did what they are supposed to do, and Thigpen showed what he can do with some consistent protection.

If we can get another game or two with that kind of protection, I would be willing to start evaluating Thigpen. Lol.

I simmply refuse to evaluate a QB with the cluster-f*** that has been our protection this season. (Denver and Jets games aside.)

Also, the first Flowers INT was really a 'gimmee', but that pick-6 was all him. He was able to knock the Wr off his route, and place himself where Favre expected that WR to be. Very big play.

Also like to point out that Tamba Hali had a huge game returning to the LDE spot. Both of Favres first two INTs were caused by Hali getting a hand on Favres throwing arm. And he also got a sack aside from those.

I know we lost the game, and it might not have been so close if The Jets had come out running the ball, as they should have, but I really liked what I was seeing in certain areas.

And it has been awhile since I was able to say that. (I kept my hopes in check with The Donkos game.)

okikcfan
10-27-2008, 01:44 AM
I just heard culpepper is going to KC on tuesday and wants to cut a deal but it will have to be a multi year deal if he is to sign a contract...

chief31
10-27-2008, 01:46 AM
I just heard culpepper is going to KC on tuesday and wants to cut a deal but it will have to be a multi year deal if he is to sign a contract...
I hope not. I don't like the guy as a QB at all.

okikcfan
10-27-2008, 01:56 AM
I was not able to see the game in my area but did see the hi-lites and I have to admit, Thigpen looked good, he seemed to be more relaxed. He could turn out to be pretty good in the long run. But, if culpepper steps in, with herm and carl in charge, thigpen may only have 2 or 3 weeks to prove himself.

Darth CarlSatan
10-27-2008, 01:58 AM
This is the first game that I have been able to watch live, and I have yet to go back and review it, but I know that I liked what I saw today.

That said, that is only two games, out of seven.

But, I am not going to give all of the credit for Thigpens game to the o-line. They just did what they are supposed to do, and Thigpen showed what he can do with some consistent protection.

If we can get another game or two with that kind of protection, I would be willing to start evaluating Thigpen. Lol.

I simmply refuse to evaluate a QB with the cluster-f*** that has been our protection this season. (Denver and Jets games aside.)

Also, the first Flowers INT was really a 'gimmee', but that pick-6 was all him. He was able to knock the Wr off his route, and place himself where Favre expected that WR to be. Very big play.

Yeah, I was watching the highlights at NFL.com and the "reel guys" said Favre just threw it right to him.
BUT, the beat goes on in Flowertown, and his game just keeps elevating. If he can keep his work ethic as strong and consistent as Tony has over the years, he'll be going to the Hall at the same spot on the chart:
#1.

Also like to point out that Tamba Hali had a huge game returning to the LDE spot. Both of Favres first two INTs were caused by Hali getting a hand on Favres throwing arm. And he also got a sack aside from those.

Tamba is a guy I don't talk about much because I evaluate him as being a guy who thrives when he's got real and consistent support with him on the line. Not to say he couldn't be a leader( he's taken at least one unorthadox route in terms of his personal training in an effort to elevate his game ), but I think he plays better when he knows he's not "going out alone", so to speak.
So what I'm saying is, at this point in the rebuild; it's just too early to make a call on him.
I do hope he succeeds, because he DOES come off to me as a guy who really WANT's to be better, and is willing to work to make it happen.

I know we lost the game, and it might not have been so close if The Jets had come out running the ball, as they should have, but I really liked what I was seeing in certain areas.

I came out of this game just as high as the Denver win because we played a better team than Denver, some very noticeable improvements were made, and My Number One Son got the drop on one of the best Quarterbacks to ever play the game.
MUCH better than last week.

And it has been awhile since I was able to say that. (I kept my hopes in check with The Donkos game.)

Being a Chiefs fan is WORK, but where would you rather be?
:bananen_smilies046:

Darth CarlSatan
10-27-2008, 02:10 AM
I was not able to see the game in my area but did see the hi-lites and I have to admit, Thigpen looked good, he seemed to be more relaxed. He could turn out to be pretty good in the long run. But, if culpepper steps in, with herm and carl in charge, thigpen may only have 2 or 3 weeks to prove himself.

Here's the props I'm going to give Thigpen:

When asked earlier in the week if he felt he'd have a better game knowing for certain that he was going to start, he said "Absolutely, it makes a difference and I will be better".
And it did, and he was.
Now I know that sounds like a pretty stock answer from any pro athlete, but after hearing Brodie, Damon, Carl, and Herm speak this same kind of tag line ad-nausem, it's refreshing and hopeful to see one of our Chiefs DELIVER ON IT!
So mad props to Tyler, and I hope I AM wrong about him because I appreciate a true underdog and I like to WIN.

Darth CarlSatan
10-27-2008, 02:14 AM

And a Mad Shout-Out to Pauls Valley!
Old Weatherford, Hobart, and Colony kid here.

okikcfan
10-27-2008, 02:19 AM
Brodie was given a fair chance to prove himself and in my book he failed and should be cut at years end, as for DH, he has been up one game and down the next. Who knows what will happen with Gray, he says he can be ready in two weeks and culpepper, well we'll have to see what kind of a deal he is willing to make. It's also been said if LJ gets cut we will be able to recoop some of the 19 mill he is planning to get. This would work well for next years cap.

chief31
10-27-2008, 02:20 AM
Being a Chiefs fan is WORK, but where would you rather be?
:bananen_smilies046:

While I can't say too much in favor of our defense, other than Hali and Flowers, I am hoping that the O-line is starting to get a feel for each other, and that they will be able to continue to improve because of it.

If they protect similar to the way they did today, on a consistent basis, and upgrade their overall run-blocking, I may be able to get behind the first-round QB talk.

But, if they revert back to where they were before this game, then I will continue to push for the o-line. If Albert finishes the season as well as he has started it, then that would be enough for me to lower my o-line draft expectations to second-third round. (with, hopefully, a decent vet being added.)

For this week though, I am actually excited about how that group, whoever they were, performed. And will likely stay off their backs for now. :D (I'm not a Punter anyway.)

Darth CarlSatan
10-27-2008, 02:41 AM
Brodie was given a fair chance to prove himself and in my book he failed and should be cut at years end, as for DH, he has been up one game and down the next. Who knows what will happen with Gray, he says he can be ready in two weeks and culpepper, well we'll have to see what kind of a deal he is willing to make. It's also been said if LJ gets cut we will be able to recoop some of the 19 mill he is planning to get. This would work well for next years cap.

You know, I always said that "I love everything about Brodie Croyle except his game". I was pulling for him big-time, but the one concern we all had about him was the one bulls eye he nailed in New England.
And then again against Tennessee.
I feel for the guy, I really do. He was the kind of guy you wanted as a figurehead for your team; great stand-up background with his family and a steady, easygoing, and unassuming kind of manner.
And I think it's only fair to shovel at least half of the overall failure in Herm's direction. Herm did "help" in getting him injured.

As for LJ, the guy is just straight-up poison to this team and I want him gone.
We've had a relatively "thug-free" franchise history, and I'd like to keep it that way. If you want to be a hip-hop star and act like a jackass, that's fine; just take it somewhere else.

Darth CarlSatan
10-27-2008, 03:18 AM
While I can't say too much in favor of our defense, other than Hali and Flowers.

Whoa there Kimosabe; that's the easiest fix of all!

All you gotta' do is draft/FA 2 on the line, pick up a top-tier OLB, and your good for starting.

Kick Donnie, Jared, and Pat to the curb, give "Crusher" Williams and Morgan to play with, put "SportsCarr" back on the field and it's a done deal. You're ready now.

The REAL question/issue is; DJ and Gun. If we're sticking with C-2( which I think sucks donkey-b*lls ), then Gun has to go.
If we take the high road, let Gun do his thing, and commit to a pass-rush, DJ has to go and we need another drafted/FA OLB.
I want the pass rush because I'm confident that Morgan and Williams can handle the run. Pollard's a good stop-gap, but he can't do it all on his own. Morgan's a hitter; do not doubt it.
And finally, Carr and Flowers have both shown us that if we can make a QB rush, hesitate, misread, or stuble; they're gonna' be right there to capitalize on it.
We've GOT tools, we just need to use them.

I am hoping that the O-line is starting to get a feel for each other, and that they will be able to continue to improve because of it.

If they protect similar to the way they did today, on a consistent basis, and upgrade their overall run-blocking, I may be able to get behind the first-round QB talk.

But, if they revert back to where they were before this game, then I will continue to push for the o-line. If Albert finishes the season as well as he has started it, then that would be enough for me to lower my o-line draft expectations to second-third round. (with, hopefully, a decent vet being added.)

For this week though, I am actually excited about how that group, whoever they were, performed. And will likely stay off their backs for now. :D (I'm not a Punter anyway.)

I'm on the O-Line bandwagon too I guess.

chief31
10-27-2008, 03:31 AM
that's the easiest fix of all!

All you gotta' do is draft/FA 2 on the line, pick up a top-tier OLB, and your good for starting.

Kick Donnie, Jared, and Pat to the curb, give "Crusher" Williams and Morgan to play with, put "SportsCarr" back on the field and it's a done deal. You're ready now.

The REAL question/issue is; DJ and Gun. If we're sticking with C-2( which I think sucks donkey-b*lls ), then Gun has to go.
If we take the high road, let Gun do his thing, and commit to a pass-rush, DJ has to go and we need another drafted/FA OLB.
I want the pass rush because I'm confident that Morgan and Williams can handle the run. Pollard's a good stop-gap, but he can't do it all on his own. Morgan's a hitter; do not doubt it.
And finally, Carr and Flowers have both shown us that if we can make a QB rush, hesitate, misread, or stuble; they're gonna' be right there to capitalize on it.
We've GOT tools, we just need to use them.

I'm on the O-Line bandwagon too I guess.

F*#&ing traded Jared Allen?!?!?!

All I can say about the defense is that I don't think we have enough tools to effectively stuff the run. Not to mention we can't buy a pass-rush. F*#&ing traded Jared Allen?!?!?!

If Gun is allowed to run his defense, then maybe he can blitz his way to some QB pressure. But otherwise, real pass-rushing DEs are impossible to find. Too bad we haven't had our hands on any of those. What a find a guy like that is.

Darth CarlSatan
10-27-2008, 04:06 AM
F*#&ing traded Jared Allen?!?!?!

All I can say about the defense is that I don't think we have enough tools to effectively stuff the run. Not to mention we can't buy a pass-rush. F*#&ing traded Jared Allen?!?!?!

If Gun is allowed to run his defense, then maybe he can blitz his way to some QB pressure. But otherwise, real pass-rushing DEs are impossible to find. Too bad we haven't had our hands on any of those. What a find a guy like that is.

Okay, okay; I'm mad about Jared too! We let the wrong guy go, pure and simple.
Now, that said; give Morgan, Pollard, and Williams the benefit of the doubt. Work with me on this!
Those guys got DJ fired up big time the one and only time they all got to play together. There IS something there.
If we decide to forgo the outside and rush up the middle, we snag the Samoan; pure and simple. Since we're going to shore up that line( and the O-Line too )as a high priority, it works to our rush's benefit.
A good mix of FA's and draftees can keep the money in check for the lines, and we cherry pick on the positions where all-star quality is a must.

chief31
10-27-2008, 05:22 AM
Okay, okay; I'm mad about Jared too! We let the wrong guy go, pure and simple.
Now, that said; give Morgan, Pollard, and Williams the benefit of the doubt. Work with me on this!
Those guys got DJ fired up big time the one and only time they all got to play together. There IS something there.
If we decide to forgo the outside and rush up the middle, we snag the Samoan; pure and simple. Since we're going to shore up that line( and the O-Line too )as a high priority, it works to our rush's benefit.
A good mix of FA's and draftees can keep the money in check for the lines, and we cherry pick on the positions where all-star quality is a must.

Or... stay with me here...

We could just eliminate our GM and Head Coach, bring in Cowher, and whoever, and trust in The Chin. :yahoo:

That's a guy that I would give the benefit of the doubt to for a couple of seasons.

Now I know that we can both agree on that!

Darth CarlSatan
10-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Or... stay with me here...

We could just eliminate our GM and Head Coach, bring in Cowher, and whoever, and trust in The Chin. :yahoo:

That's a guy that I would give the benefit of the doubt to for a couple of seasons.

Now I know that we can both agree on that!

I'll take Cowher Power 1st. But if he just can't be swayed, then I campaign for Beamer Ball.

yashi
10-27-2008, 01:12 PM
We didn't really have much of a choice in the situation with Allen... the guy didn't want to play here. And he's a freaking lunatic so I wouldn't be surprised if he would have held out 2008. As a player, he's great.. his character? Not so much. And Minnesota's pass defense isn't exactly flourishing with him.

Cowher would be great! I've had the same thoughts ever since he retired.. but KC might be a bit further than he's willing to go. I'm sure he'd rather stay on the east coast.

Bike
10-27-2008, 02:33 PM
We didn't really have much of a choice in the situation with Allen... the guy didn't want to play here. And he's a freaking lunatic so I wouldn't be surprised if he would have held out 2008. As a player, he's great.. his character? Not so much. And Minnesota's pass defense isn't exactly flourishing with him.

Cowher would be great! I've had the same thoughts ever since he retired.. but KC might be a bit further than he's willing to go. I'm sure he'd rather stay on the east coast.
Money talks. Lets give Cowher a boat-load.:bananen_smilies046:

spiman
10-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Money talks. Lets give Cowher a boat-load.:bananen_smilies046:
Why is it..When a team does bad it is the coaches fault.. When a team does good-it is the players?
Money should be spent on free agents {proven 1s}
Signing players that r worth a damm..It takes 2 yrs for a Qb (xcept Ryan) who i clammered 4 last yr (Trade up) 2 get-sore subject..We better get better with the o-line and get 5 Qb's next yr-The rate the Chiefs get go through them! :wheelchair:

Darth CarlSatan
10-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Why is it..When a team does bad it is the coaches fault.. When a team does good-it is the players?
Signing players that r worth a damm..It takes 2 yrs for a Qb (xcept Ryan) who i clammered 4 last yr (Trade up) 2 get-sore subject..We better get better with the o-line and get 5 Qb's next yr-The rate the Chiefs get go through them! :wheelchair:

I understand your point, and more often than not I feel the same way.
But in the case of this Chiefs team, minus some line and LB needs, I know we've got guys that can play.
And I'm not gonna' lay it ALL on Herm. The fact of the matter is; we've got a horrid stew of coaching, coordinating, management, and support staff that might as well be working on separate teams.
These guys are NOT firing on the same cylinders or pursuing a common strategy, and it more than shows on the field.
If you were a fly on the wall at One Arrowhead Drive, I'm 99% positive you'd see plenty of dissension in the ranks and tempers flying.

spiman
10-27-2008, 11:22 PM
I am for King Carl to go. But to rid us of Herm will cost much need $ to be spent elsewhere..Being in the bay area has shown me $ buys superbowls..Good un-$- Free agents costs..High draft picks costs-Talent costs--KC to me seems poor.. Hell.. Why you guys are at it..Get rid of the Hunt's and let a California person buy it and move it to Calif.. :stop: That should get a rise of all those who want a clean-out of the Chiefs! **** We have an awesome football team here in San Jose-Sabercats..Look em up!
Many Arena Bowl championships..div's etc.:goldcup:

Darth CarlSatan
10-27-2008, 11:28 PM
I am for King Carl to go. But to rid us of Herm will cost much need $ to be spent elsewhere..Being in the bay area has shown me $ buys superbowls..Good un-$- Free agents costs..High draft picks costs-Talent costs--KC to me seems poor.. Hell.. Why you guys are at it..Get rid of the Hunt's and let a California person buy it and move it to Calif.. :stop: That should get a rise of all those who want a clean-out of the Chiefs! **** We have an awesome football team here in San Jose-Sabercats..Look em up!

We've tried the 20 year UCLA business plan; didn't work worth a sh*t.

Always appreciate the input though!

spiman
10-27-2008, 11:37 PM
We've tried the 20 year UCLA business plan; didn't work worth a sh*t.

Always appreciate the input though!
I do not get the reference..USC comes to mind.. Or 9ers/ Faders /Sabercats okay Sharks=o and The Chiefs 1...

nigeriannightmare
10-27-2008, 11:42 PM

Peyton Manning gets picked off 3 times, we don't get a first down untitl the third quarter, that playoff game with Indy is what did it for me. There is no way we should have lost that game. Herm has no balls on offense, the only reason to have an offense is to get close enough for a field goal attempt. So in Herm's case, when we lose your damn right it lays at his feet.

Darth CarlSatan
10-27-2008, 11:44 PM
I do not get the reference..USC comes to mind.. Or 9ers/ Faders /Sabercats okay Sharks=o and The Chiefs 1...

If I'm not mistaken, Peckerson is a UCLA Alum.

spiman
10-28-2008, 12:08 AM
So I thought the Chiefs would be better off spending mo money and this came to mind:Mixed feelings
Peterson has been both praised and criticized by Chiefs fans. Peterson has been criticized for not being much of a general manager (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_manager), and is considered by some to be more focused on team revenue than he is about winning.
Peterson has been praised for hiring quality coaches, and re-establishing a winning tradition for the Chiefs that had greatly diminished in the 1980s. Prior to Peterson's arrival, Kansas City had only made one playoff appearance in 18 years. The Kansas City Chiefs were the winningest team in the NFL for the decade of the 1990s by percentage, qualified the playoffs in six of seven seasons from 1990 to 1997, and reached the AFC Championship game following the 1993 season. But Peterson has been criticized because the Chiefs have failed to reach the Super Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl) and have posted only three playoff wins in 8 appearances during his tenure, the most recent over the Houston Oilers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Oilers) on January 16, 1994.
Some fans dislike the fact that Peterson has held his current job for over 18 years, which is considerably longer than most other NFL general managers, despite the team's lack of playoff success during his tenure, and the recent decline in the team's fortunes. Due to his longstanding term in office as general manager, columnist Jason Whitlock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Whitlock) has famously dubbed Peterson as "King Carl" in the Kansas City Star (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Star) and the nickname has become a Chiefs fan favorite among the criticism of Peterson :wheelchair:

chief31
10-28-2008, 09:39 AM

Jared did want to be here. He asked over, and over, for more than a year, if he could stay. The Chiefs made the decision to trade him.

He is not a lunatic. He is a great guy to be around.

Bike
10-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Because when a team does as bad as us (1-15) coach has to go.

Bike
10-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Talented people cost money. Nothing really new and enterprising about that. So you are saying no need to spend money on a leader for this team???:sign0153:

jtandcrew
10-30-2008, 09:00 AM
MOVE THE CHIEFS? BLASPHEMY! :mob:

Canada
10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Because when a team does as bad as us (1-15) coach has to go.

True, but last I checked we weren't 1-15. :bananen_smilies046:

jmlamerson
10-30-2008, 11:44 AM
True, but last I checked we weren't 1-15. :bananen_smilies046:
Chiefs are 1-15 in the last 16 games.

If the Chiefs go 1-15 this season, then they'll be 1-24 in the last 25 games.

jmlamerson
10-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Talented people cost money. Nothing really new and enterprising about that. So you are saying no need to spend money on a leader for this team???:sign0153:

Chiefs should spend big money for talented FAs under the age of 30. They should not spend big money for FAs over the age of 30.

The Chiefs should spend big money on their OL, DL, and QB position. The Chiefs should not spend big money on RBs, WRs, CBs, or Ss (at least not until the other positions are taken care of).

It really is that easy.

Canada
10-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Chiefs are 1-15 in the last 16 games.

If the Chiefs go 1-15 this season, then they'll be 1-24 in the last 25 games.

Good thing that isn't how they keep stats on this season.

Darth CarlSatan
10-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Jared did want to be here. He asked over, and over, for more than a year, if he could stay. The Chiefs made the decision to trade him.

He is not a lunatic. He is a great guy to be around.

WORD.

jmlamerson
10-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Good thing that isn't how they keep stats on this season.

The poster wasn't talking about this season. He was just saying that when a coach goes 1-15 at any point, he needs to go.

spiman
11-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Chiefs should spend big money for talented FAs under the age of 30. They should not spend big money for FAs over the age of 30.

The Chiefs should spend big money on their OL, DL, and QB position. The Chiefs should not spend big money on RBs, WRs, CBs, or Ss (at least not until the other positions are taken care of).

It really is that easy. :bananen_smilies046: I am with ya!