PDA

View Full Version : wth Clark this is a depressing story

slc chief
10-21-2008, 10:51 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/i/pagetitles/news/JonathanRand.jpg
An owner's dilemma

Oct 21, 2008, 8:38:24 AM by Jonathan Rand (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/jonathan_rand/) - FAQ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/20/jonathan_rand_faq/)

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/1AA61C1CF30543459663949B9C9B2FBC.JPG?0.83132501387 4827
With the Chiefs’ latest lopsided loss, you can expect fans to resume their exasperation with chairman Clark Hunt for saying that coach Herm Edwards and president Carl Peterson are doing a good job rebuilding the team.
Fans want to hear Hunt tell them that he shares their pain and frustration, and no doubt would welcome an angry ultimatum to his entire football operation.
But that’s not how a good owner operates, and Hunt in a recent Kansas City Star interview said that he’s staying the course. Publicly chewing out his coach and front office might briefly give an owner a “Joe the Plumber” moment of popularity, but would serve mainly to demoralize and divide the very people he’s trying to help succeed.
Firing NFL coaches during a season is relatively rare and usually futile, the 2-0 start of the Rams’ Jim Haslett notwithstanding. Once a season starts, football teams are like concrete that’s been allowed to dry, and it’s too late to tear it all up.
An offense and defense are meticulously crafted and married to the available personnel. Once the season starts, a team is on a 16-game roller coaster ride, and good luck trying to get out of your car. An owner has to keep the faith that the decisions he signed off on were sound ones unless 16 games tell him otherwise.
In baseball, you can follow through on a managerial shakeup by calling up minor-league prospects and making a major trade or two. The NFL has no minor leagues and the relatively few important trades are made before the season. If you acquire draft picks, they can’t help you now.
It would be naïve to believe that Hunt doesn’t grasp what he’s been watching for six games. Having graduated first in his class at SMU, played soccer there and having watched the Chiefs most of his life, you can bet that he’s keenly aware of all their shortcomings.
But it’s unwise to evaluate a team at its peak or valley, and the Chiefs clearly have reached bottom. Their offense and defense are among the NFL’s worst.
The Brodie Croyle era has probably ended before it really started. Former Pro Bowl running back Larry Johnson, with his irresponsible behavior, seems determined to fulfill his prophecy that the Chiefs are trying to phase him out.
Hunt could be excused if all this made him scream. It’s to his credit that he hasn’t.
The New York Yankees’ George Steinbrenner was once the poster child for the populist owner who rips his managers and players, to the delight of fans. But the record shows that his tirades bred instability and underachievement, and that his Yankees enjoyed their greatest success when he finally stuck with one manager, Joe Torre, and began respecting sound personnel advice.
Giving his people the benefit of the doubt, however, often leads an owner into the “vote of confidence” trap. If he fires somebody after giving a vote of confidence, he’s considered inept, indecisive or dishonest.
But if he withholds a vote of confidence – even by uttering a simple “no comment” — he’s seen as pulling the rug out from under his people. For the owner of a losing team, this is truly a no-win situation.
As poorly as the Chiefs played Sunday in a 34-10 loss to the Tennessee Titans, no reasonable NFL owner pulls the plug on a rebuilding program after only six games. For Hunt to call for a restart at this point would make a tough situation worse.
http://js-kit.com/images/stars/gray.pnghttp://js-kit.com/images/stars/red.pnghttp://js-kit.com/images/stars/gold.png

365 votes

http://js-kit.com/images/i-wg.png

slc chief
10-21-2008, 10:55 PM
did they forget that steinbrenner and the yankees have numerous championships i can not believe that jonathan rand made that comparison i guess he has been drinking off of carl and herms coolaid too

Hayvern
10-22-2008, 08:44 AM
did they forget that steinbrenner and the yankees have numerous championships i can not believe that jonathan rand made that comparison i guess he has been drinking off of carl and herms coolaid too

Yep, while Gretz finally got on-board the fire management express. Rand has refused to step it up.

wolfpack
10-22-2008, 10:08 AM
gretz got on board because he was let go as a radio flunkie. carl must have had a hard fart and out poped gretz.

Darth CarlSatan
10-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Yep, while Gretz finally got on-board the fire management express. Rand has refused to step it up.

Heeere Johnny-Johnny-Johnny; I've got SNAUSAGES!!!
:D:D:D

Hayvern
10-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Heeere Johnny-Johnny-Johnny; I've got SNAUSAGES!!!
:D:D:D
:funnypost: That funny!

Darth CarlSatan
10-22-2008, 09:18 PM
:funnypost: That funny!

As 'Takashi' from "Revenge of the Nerds" would say;

Ohhhhh...SANKYOU! :yahoo::D:yahoo:

Here's the thing I don't get; NOBODY in ANY of the local sports media outlets EVER mentions MIAMI!!!!!

I mean good God; you wanna' talk about a perfect yardstick, it don't get much clearer than that.

jtandcrew
10-24-2008, 05:44 AM

Rand wont since he works for both the KC Star an KCCHIEFS>COM

gretz got on board because he was let go as a radio flunkie. carl must have had a hard fart and out poped gretz.

Gretz really got let go by 101.1? I havent heard this yet! If so, thats awesome! Its about time they did forsugar coating everything and also keeps using the same scheme to get DT into HOF!

m0ef0e
10-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Clark sucks. Though I don't want this particular guy because I don't agree with a lot of his personnel decisions, I would like to have an owner like Jerry Jones. He's involved and there is no doubt about his desire to win.

Darth CarlSatan
10-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Clark sucks. Though I don't want this particular guy because I don't agree with a lot of his personnel decisions, I would like to have an owner like Jerry Jones. He's involved and there is no doubt about his desire to win.

WORD!

:bananen_smilies046:

jtandcrew
10-24-2008, 11:48 AM

I personally like a owner thats not involved like Jones, Davis and others I cant think of. Although when the ship is about sunk there has to be a time when the admiral has to throw the captaion and first mate overboard. Then you can start bailing water to correct your ship! We spent how long without Lamar dictating what we are going to do? Only thing I ever remeber him ever saying was that he want a franchise RB! RIP Lamar.....Glad you didnt get to see how LJ turned out!

Darth CarlSatan
10-24-2008, 06:24 PM
I personally like a owner thats not involved like Jones, Davis and others I cant think of. Although when the ship is about sunk there has to be a time when the admiral has to throw the captaion and first mate overboard. Then you can start bailing water to correct your ship! We spent how long without Lamar dictating what we are going to do? Only thing I ever remeber him ever saying was that he want a franchise RB! RIP Lamar.....Glad you didnt get to see how LJ turned out!

Dude; Three Super Bowls, One Decade, and a team that makes a legitimate run at least 4 times a decade.

My F*cking KINGDOM for a Jerry Jones!

chief31
10-25-2008, 01:16 AM
Dude; Three Super Bowls, One Decade, and a team that makes a legitimate run at least 4 times a decade.

Quoted For Truth!^

Darth CarlSatan
10-25-2008, 03:33 AM
Quoted For Truth!^

The firing of Johnson wasn't smart, the intervening with the play calling wasn't a great idea either, but you know what? He learned from his mistakes.
And now he runs one of the most consistent and successful franchises in the NFL. And he cares passionately about his team; it's job number one and it's a hands-on affair 24/7.

He took "Just Win, Baby" to a level that Al Davis can only dream about.
Does Jerry have any offspring with money? :D

chief31
10-25-2008, 11:02 AM
The firing of Johnson wasn't smart, the intervening with the play calling wasn't a great idea either, but you know what? He learned from his mistakes.
And now he runs one of the most consistent and successful franchises in the NFL. And he cares passionately about his team; it's job number one and it's a hands-on affair 24/7.

He took "Just Win, Baby" to a level that Al Davis can only dream about.
Does Jerry have any offspring with money? :D

I'll take Mark Cuban.

He isn't exactly Jerry Jones, but I don't think that anyone doubts his desire to win.

He is actually supposed to be trying to buy my Cubbies.:D

Darth CarlSatan
10-25-2008, 04:24 PM
I'll take Mark Cuban.

He isn't exactly Jerry Jones, but I don't think that anyone doubts his desire to win.

He is actually supposed to be trying to buy my Cubbies.:D

Is he the owner of the Mavericks?

jtandcrew
10-26-2008, 06:27 AM

I wasnt meaning I wanted a TOTAL hands off owner. I meant I want a owner who is going to jump in when he needs but not call the plays from the owners box or from sidelines when they have personnel for that. I want a owner who will stand up and say "hey, you guys arent getting it done! I told you at the end of last year it has to improve! Its not, so your both gone!" Thats what I want! Davis has driven the raiders into the ground. After Johnson? How lond did it take for Jones to find a guy he can be compatible with?

Darth CarlSatan
10-26-2008, 01:57 PM
I wasnt meaning I wanted a TOTAL hands off owner. I meant I want a owner who is going to jump in when he needs but not call the plays from the owners box or from sidelines when they have personnel for that. I want a owner who will stand up and say "hey, you guys arent getting it done! I told you at the end of last year it has to improve! Its not, so your both gone!" Thats what I want! Davis has driven the raiders into the ground. After Johnson? How lond did it take for Jones to find a guy he can be compatible with?

It took some time, but he hasn't even reached his 20th year as owner.
I don't know about you, but I wish we could get 10 of OUR last 20 years back!

There's only ONE question to ask if you're unsure about how much of a priority your owner places on his franchise:

Can he drive from his home to the stadium on a daily basis?

jtandcrew
10-27-2008, 10:22 AM
It took some time, but he hasn't even reached his 20th year as owner.
I don't know about you, but I wish we could get 10 of OUR last 20 years back!

There's only ONE question to ask if you're unsure about how much of a priority your owner places on his franchise:

Can he drive from his home to the stadium on a daily basis?

I definaely agree that Clark should live closer or atleast have a home here in KC where he spends som time at. Although, the Chiefs werent totally terrible when Lamar didnt live around here. I just seriously think at this moment in Chiefs history Clark needs to stand up and be an owner that other owners will respect. In other words? Take over where his dad left off!

Darth CarlSatan
10-27-2008, 12:35 PM
I definaely agree that Clark should live closer or atleast have a home here in KC where he spends som time at. Although, the Chiefs werent totally terrible when Lamar didnt live around here. I just seriously think at this moment in Chiefs history Clark needs to stand up and be an owner that other owners will respect. In other words? Take over where his dad left off!

Agreed. The thing is though, when you're building a new team, the owner SHOULD be there on an almost daily basis.
Once the team is built, and progress is clearly demonstrated, THEN the owner can back off and go play golf.

chief31
10-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Is he the owner of the Mavericks?

Yep.

Darth CarlSatan
10-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Yep.

Lucky Cubbies for you! That guy turned Dallas from a joke to a contender.

chief31
10-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Lucky Cubbies for you! That guy turned Dallas from a joke to a contender.

The deal isn't done, that I know of. But I like him because he really wants his team to win. I don't think that most owners care.

Darth CarlSatan
10-27-2008, 12:48 PM
The deal isn't done, that I know of. But I like him because he really wants his team to win. I don't think that most owners care.

Sure they do! When the $$$$ dries up; they care PLENTY!
:lol::bananen_smilies046: