PDA

View Full Version : Quinn Gray

texaschief
10-22-2008, 04:49 PM
I actually like this guy. I remember him playing for a less than mediocre Jacksonville team in 2006 after Leftwich went down. I think the Jags were down by two or three touchdowns in the 4th quarter and it took a great defensive stand by the Chiefs to win that game and ultimately make the playoffs because of the win.

Last spring, I suggested the Chiefs sign this guy to replace Huard as the primary backup because of the system the Chiefs were putting in place for a scrambling QB. This is DEFINITELY a step forward at the QB spot. Neither Huard nor Thigpen are the answers for the rest of the season. At least the front office acknowledges this.

I'm excited to see him in a couple weeks.

Quinn Gray
(6-3, 254) played in 11 games with four starts in three seasons with Jacksonville (2003-07). He completed 101 of 180 passes for 1,252 yards with 12 TDs and five INTs for an 88.5 rating in addition to rushing 24 times for 84 yards (3.5 avg.) with two TDs. In his lone appearance at Kansas City (12/31/06), Gray connected on 13 of 22 throws for 166 yards and rushed two times for 26 yards with a pair of touchdowns in a relief role for the Jaguars. The Ft. Lauderdale, Florida native originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with Jacksonville in 2002. Gray attended training camp with Indianapolis in 2008, but was released prior to the regular season.

The Florida A&M product played in 39 games for the Rattlers, finishing his collegiate career with 7,368 passing yards and 57 TDs. Gray earned all-district and all-region as a senior at Dillard High School in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

m0ef0e
10-22-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm looking forward to giving him a shot. If he doesn't work out, we really haven't lost anything but I've seen him play and he could prove to be a lot more than just the band-aid we though he would be.

texaschief
10-22-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm looking forward to giving him a shot. If he doesn't work out, we really haven't lost anything but I've seen him play and he could prove to be a lot more than just the band-aid we though he would be.

i agree.

Grey144
It is good that we are getting in a QB with a bit more exp than Thigpen. However he isn't going to be ready to play anytime soon as starter so we are gonna get a real good look at Thigpen. Also this still changes nothing as far as our QB goes we still have to go out next year and get a starting QB either through free agency or the draft. It is time this team finally learns the concept of signing a "Franchise" QB and not some perrenial journeyman.

Three7s
I'm just trying to figure out why Indianapolis released him. I know that he had no chance at winning the starting spot, but to not even keep a backup role? Seems weird to me.

m0ef0e
10-22-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm just trying to figure out why Indianapolis released him. I know that he had no chance at winning the starting spot, but to not even keep a backup role? Seems weird to me.

He didn't have a very good preseason with the Colts. His biggest problem is he sometimes makes bad decisions with the football. If he can be cured of that, Quinn may be able to develop into a starter or, at least, a very reliable back-up.

texaschief
10-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Gray has the ability to put this organization in even a deeper hole by the end of this season by playing at a high level. If Gray does a good to great job, I could see the Chiefs passing on a QB in the draft. I don't think they've given up on Croyle yet and if Gray plays really well as a "stop gap," the Chiefs might wait one more year to take a QB.

This would be a huge mistake. I would like to see Gray succeed, but I just hope he doesn't play SO well that the Chiefs think they're ok at QB going into the draft.

m0ef0e
10-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Gray has the ability to put this organization in even a deeper hole by the end of this season by playing at a high level. If Gray does a good to great job, I could see the Chiefs passing on a QB in the draft. I don't think they've given up on Croyle yet and if Gray plays really well as a "stop gap," the Chiefs might wait one more year to take a QB.

This would be a huge mistake. I would like to see Gray succeed, but I just hope he doesn't play SO well that the Chiefs think they're ok at QB going into the draft.

Ideally, I would like to see Quinn play well enough for the Chiefs to allow him to compete for the starting job next year against the QB we draft (yes, still draft a QB even in Quinn tears it up). If the guy we get wins the job from Quinn Gray in camp and the preseason, and seems like he is mature enough to throw in the fire, then let him go. If not, and if Quinn performs well enough to warrant it, let him start while the new guy learns and develops.

Regardless of what happens, Brodie should be done as a Chief, period. Personally, I don't want to see him back on the roster in any capacity. I hate seeing him get hurt like that and wish nothing but the best for him and his family but it's obvious now that he can't do the job. Having him as a back-up basically means that your 3rd string is your true back-up. Honestly, why waste the roster spot? Brodie may be better served to pursue a career in coaching high school football or returning to Alabama in some capacity (maybe eventually a QB coach or something, like Josh Heipel did in Oklahoma).

Hayvern
10-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Ideally, I would like to see Quinn play well enough for the Chiefs to allow him to compete for the starting job next year against the QB we draft (yes, still draft a QB even in Quinn tears it up). If the guy we get wins the job from Quinn Gray in camp and the preseason, and seems like he is mature enough to throw in the fire, then let him go. If not, and if Quinn performs well enough to warrant it, let him start while the new guy learns and develops.

Regardless of what happens, Brodie should be done as a Chief, period. Personally, I don't want to see him back on the roster in any capacity. I hate seeing him get hurt like that and wish nothing but the best for him and his family but it's obvious now that he can't do the job. Having him as a back-up basically means that your 3rd string is your true back-up. Honestly, why waste the roster spot? Brodie may be better served to pursue a career in coaching high school football or returning to Alabama in some capacity (maybe eventually a QB coach or something, like Josh Heipel did in Oklahoma).

Frankly, if Herm is still at the helm, I would rather struggle through the quarterback spot and draft a different player. Certainly I would not be drafting a quarterback in the first round. I have not heard or seen anything out of this current crop of QBs that would make me think any of them are NFL 1st round material. I might change my mind at the end of the year.

At best, a a second rounder, or even a third rounder could be good enough. I just don't think our current coaching staff has the ability to bring in a young quarterback and get them to a point they can succeed.

hardcorechiefsfan
10-22-2008, 05:51 PM

Ditto

Darth CarlSatan
10-22-2008, 08:44 PM
It is good that we are getting in a QB with a bit more exp than Thigpen. However he isn't going to be ready to play anytime soon as starter so we are gonna get a real good look at Thigpen. Also this still changes nothing as far as our QB goes we still have to go out next year and get a starting QB either through free agency or the draft. It is time this team finally learns the concept of signing a "Franchise" QB and not some perrenial journeyman.

Agreed.

Darth CarlSatan
10-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Frankly, if Herm is still at the helm, I would rather struggle through the quarterback spot and draft a different player. Certainly I would not be drafting a quarterback in the first round. I have not heard or seen anything out of this current crop of QBs that would make me think any of them are NFL 1st round material. I might change my mind at the end of the year.

At best, a a second rounder, or even a third rounder could be good enough. I just don't think our current coaching staff has the ability to bring in a young quarterback and get them to a point they can succeed.

If Stafford flies off the board, I'm with you. But if we're holding all the cards again in New York and he's available; we JUMP.

jerhart
10-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Who is this Ingle Martin fella? Why did we pick up a QB who has never done anything in this league except for rush for -5 yards? http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7897/career;_ylt=AkJo4f1kj32txHz_BVYogW_.uLYF

There are available QB's sittin on their couches now who have at least thrown for positive yards. I am all for Gray....but Ingle Martin?

Three7s
10-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Who is this Ingle Martin fella? Why did we pick up a QB who has never done anything in this league except for rush for -5 yards? http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7897/career;_ylt=AkJo4f1kj32txHz_BVYogW_.uLYF

There are available QB's sittin on their couches now who have at least thrown for positive yards. I am all for Gray....but Ingle Martin?
Don't worry about him, he's just an emergency insurance option.

Darth CarlSatan
10-22-2008, 10:03 PM

An "emergency insurance option" on the same brilliant level as privatizing social security...:rolleyes: :D

jerhart
10-22-2008, 10:13 PM

haha...fair enough...I was just thinkin this kid had to have one helluva work-out when he came in because his stats arent anything to boast about...

Sn@keIze
10-22-2008, 10:41 PM
I find the fact that Grey is 254 lbs. attractive. Hopefully hell be able to bounce off half the blitzers and rushers the line gives up and turn them into positives.

Three7s
10-22-2008, 11:22 PM
I find the fact that Grey is 254 lbs. attractive. Hopefully hell be able to bounce off half the blitzers and rushers the line gives up and turn them into positives.
He's a big guy with speed, which is the only type of QB that could work with this O-line. His arm isn't great, but at least he doesn't look like an idiot like Thigpen. I'm amazed I'm saying this, but I'm excited to see him play.

Best case scenario is he performs decently from the Bucs game and on, without getting injured. We draft a QB and have him be a clipboard holder for all of next season, while Gray does his thing next season, if he works out, of course. After that, all we'll need to do is fire CP and Herm!

Darth CarlSatan
10-22-2008, 11:40 PM
He's a big guy with speed, which is the only type of QB that could work with this O-line. His arm isn't great, but at least he doesn't look like an idiot like Thigpen. I'm amazed I'm saying this, but I'm excited to see him play.

Best case scenario is he performs decently from the Bucs game and on, without getting injured. We draft a QB and have him be a clipboard holder for all of next season, while Gray does his thing next season, if he works out, of course. After that, all we'll need to do is fire CP and Herm!

That's exactly the feeling I get. You look at this guys film, and he looks so much more decisive and in control than any of our other "QB's". Huard was close, but he still exhibited that kind of "tentative/touchy-feely" execution that kills confidence and loses games.

As much as I hate the ol' Colorado Bob-Tailed Nag, I gotta' give Horse Face props for ALWAYS keeping his eyes down field and On The Job; you have to do that.

And your right about Gray if he works; retain him and have him holding the clipboard at game time, and let him work out and do some mentoring with Stafford.:D

YZILLA
10-23-2008, 04:21 AM

If we had Huard somewhat healthy I would agree with you . The fact that we were down to two QB's and one of which is not NFL ready ( Herms words ) demands we at least get another QB. And for the Money we spent ( which I'm pretty sure was a bargain ) . It was well worth getting Gray ! Culpepper had too many demands and is outa shape right now,also had a pretty serious Knee injury. The other Guy I know nothing about , so I wont comment. Gray is a great pickup for us ! Better than another Ingler Martin .

jerhart
10-23-2008, 07:28 AM
I'm amazed I'm saying this, but I'm excited to see him play.

Yup. Im looking forward to watching him play too. Not expecting him to turn our season around...but he should be able to get our wr's the ball more.

Bike
10-23-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm sure Grey will move past Ingle after 1st week and past Thig after 2nd week...We shall see!!

Seek
10-23-2008, 09:27 AM
I like the signing but I have strong concerns for why he was not on a team already.

Hayvern
10-23-2008, 10:27 AM
If we had Huard somewhat healthy I would agree with you . The fact that we were down to two QB's and one of which is not NFL ready ( Herms words ) demands we at least get another QB. And for the Money we spent ( which I'm pretty sure was a bargain ) . It was well worth getting Gray ! Culpepper had too many demands and is outa shape right now,also had a pretty serious Knee injury. The other Guy I know nothing about , so I wont comment. Gray is a great pickup for us ! Better than another Ingler Martin .

Sorry, i think you misunderstand what I am saying. I am mainly responding to those who say we should use a first round pick to grab a QB. I just don't think we can afford to do that with Herm Edwards at the wheel.

Unless he and Carl go out this offseason and revamp our offensiveline, any QB we put back there is in serious bodily danger. Getting a first round QB is an expensive expirement with these guys at the helm and I for one would rather not try that again.

Let's go ahead and get Gray, let him run out the rest of the season, bring Printers back to in my opinion, and see what these guys can do.

DMN
10-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Don't know much about the guy. I did watch a colts preseason game and this guy looked pretty sub par honestly. I think that we have every reason to be concerned that he was still in free agency. Especially with all the QB injuries and starter changes that have happened.

I completely agree with the revamp the o line theory. then worry about who will throw the ball.

nigeriannightmare
10-23-2008, 11:23 AM
I actually like this guy. I remember him playing for a less than mediocre Jacksonville team in 2006 after Leftwich went down. I think the Jags were down by two or three touchdowns in the 4th quarter and it took a great defensive stand by the Chiefs to win that game and ultimately make the playoffs because of the win.

Finally some common ground. I thought when he stepped in for Jacksonville a couple of years ago that he did a superb job. He's a big quarterback that has some mobility and I hope he works out. Front office may get one right.

garciakcfan
10-23-2008, 12:03 PM
I think out of all the options it was a good pick up... Hopefully he is hungry and wants to land on his feet permanately somewhere... Kansas City, right now, is a perfect opportunity for a QB to come in and steal a job
and turn this franchise around...

Dyno-Mite
10-23-2008, 12:08 PM
I like the signing but I have strong concerns for why he was not on a team already.

Because he sucks.

tornadospotter
10-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Finally some common ground. I thought when he stepped in for Jacksonville a couple of years ago that he did a superb job. He's a big quarterback that has some mobility and I hope he works out. Front office may get one right.
I just would like a QB, thats starts and plays to the end of the game! That in itself will be a accomplishment. :D

jmlamerson
10-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Because he sucks.

Gray isn't that bad of a QB, in terms of poise, durability, and arm strength. He just lacks anything resembling accuracy and field vision. He'll be throwing INTs like they're going out of style.

Seek
10-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Because he sucks.

so did Grbac and he was our franchise starter. So I guess you love this signing.

Dyno-Mite
10-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Elvis won plenty of games for us and led us to the playoffs.Gray sucks more.I'd rather grab Elvis out of retirement rather than deal with players such as suck Gray,Thigpen and.......Ingle Martin.Huh?

Seek
10-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Elvis won plenty of games for us and led us to the playoffs.Gray sucks more.I'd rather grab Elvis out of retirement rather than deal with players such as suck Gray,Thigpen and.......Ingle Martin.Huh?

Correction, Gannon lead us to the playoffs. Grbac lost the play offs.

Can you imagine how horrible Grbac would look behind this line, yet alone how bad he looked behind a great one. Yikes.

Dyno-Mite
10-23-2008, 01:04 PM

Can you imagine how horrible Grbac would look behind this line, yet alone how bad he looked behind a great one. Yikes.

It's not like Grbac was considered as my only FAVorite player.I didn't recognize that we can list numerous names of favorite players.A true fact is that I wouldn't remove Grbac from the list of FAV and replace him for Rich Gannon because I didn't really like Gannon until he signed with the Raiders.

Seek
10-23-2008, 01:09 PM
It's not like Grbac was considered as my only FAVorite player.I didn't recognize that we can list numerous names of favorite players.A true fact is that I wouldn't remove Grbac from the list of FAV and replace him for Rich Gannon because I didn't really like Gannon until he signed with the Raiders.

Your screen names kind of says different or should we start calling you Chief's QB Fan except for our third stringer Gray.

The whole purpose of signing him, and Ingel was to get through this season. I don't think anyone sees a future for these guys on this team next year.

yashi
10-23-2008, 03:45 PM
I think Gray is a good 2nd stringer if we had a clear starter. The guy has been successful as a quarterback at the NFL level, what more can you ask for? How many backups have a 12-5 TD:INT ratio? Obviously there's a reason he wasn't on a team, but it's pretty dumb to say he flat out sucks before we see what he's got.

I'm actually excited to see the guy play. I mean I'm not really interested in winning a bunch of games and missing out on a potential franchise QB in the draft, but if this guy can turn out to be a pleasant surprise like David Garrard was for the Jags, then who knows? Keep in mind whoever we draft should sit for at least a season or two to develop, so we really do need a capable quarterback in the meantime.

Darth CarlSatan
10-23-2008, 04:45 PM

DING-DING-DING-DING!!!

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

I love the way we traded Gannon away so that Oakland could go the to the playoffs three times; could Carl possibly get any more cuddly???

Dyno-Mite
10-23-2008, 04:54 PM
I think Gray is a good 2nd stringer if we had a clear starter. The guy has been successful as a quarterback at the NFL level, what more can you ask for? How many backups have a 12-5 TD:INT ratio? Obviously there's a reason he wasn't on a team, but it's pretty dumb to say he flat out sucks before we see what he's got.

I'm actually excited to see the guy play. I mean I'm not really interested in winning a bunch of games and missing out on a potential franchise QB in the draft, but if this guy can turn out to be a pleasant surprise like David Garrard was for the Jags, then who knows? Keep in mind whoever we draft should sit for at least a season or two to develop, so we really do need a capable quarterback in the meantime.

Who on here except you is excited about seeing Gray play?Go Away.

Darth CarlSatan
10-23-2008, 04:56 PM
DING-DING-DING-DING!!!

I love the way we traded Gannon away so that Oakland could go the to the playoffs three times; could Carl possibly get any more cuddly???

ADDENDUM:
YEP; HAVING A GREAT QUARTERBACK IS NOT IMPORTANT.
A GREAT O-LINE AND A JOURNEYMAN PUD-CRANKER IS JUUUUUUST FINE!
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Three7s
10-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Who on here except you is excited about seeing Gray play?Go Away.
I'm excited about seeing Gray play.

Darth CarlSatan
10-23-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm excited about seeing Gray play.

WORD!

slc chief
10-23-2008, 06:41 PM
i am exited he is definantly worth a look. qb of the future no. get us back to respectability even if we dont win a bunch of games yes

tornadospotter
10-23-2008, 07:56 PM
DING-DING-DING-DING!!!

Dammit!!:mob:

ADDENDUM:
YEP; HAVING A GREAT QUARTERBACK IS NOT IMPORTANT.
A GREAT O-LINE AND A JOURNEYMAN PUD-CRANKER IS JUUUUUUST FINE!
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just let it all out!!!!, :D
I agree.

Darth CarlSatan
10-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Dammit!!:mob:

Just let it all out!!!!, :D
I agree.

Thank you!

If that trade didn't "spell it out" to every Chiefs fan alive, nothing ever will.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole 'Peterson minus Marty' era has been one big Lap Dance; p*ssing away good money to get turned on, but never really getting any action.
:11:

Darth CarlSatan
10-23-2008, 08:34 PM

Last spring, I suggested the Chiefs sign this guy to replace Huard as the primary backup because of the system the Chiefs were putting in place for a scrambling QB. This is DEFINITELY a step forward at the QB spot. Neither Huard nor Thigpen are the answers for the rest of the season. At least the front office acknowledges this.

I'm excited to see him in a couple weeks.

Quinn Gray
(6-3, 254) played in 11 games with four starts in three seasons with Jacksonville (2003-07). He completed 101 of 180 passes for 1,252 yards with 12 TDs and five INTs for an 88.5 rating in addition to rushing 24 times for 84 yards (3.5 avg.) with two TDs. In his lone appearance at Kansas City (12/31/06), Gray connected on 13 of 22 throws for 166 yards and rushed two times for 26 yards with a pair of touchdowns in a relief role for the Jaguars. The Ft. Lauderdale, Florida native originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with Jacksonville in 2002. Gray attended training camp with Indianapolis in 2008, but was released prior to the regular season.

The Florida A&M product played in 39 games for the Rattlers, finishing his collegiate career with 7,368 passing yards and 57 TDs. Gray earned all-district and all-region as a senior at Dillard High School in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

You know what I remember about J-Ville?
Mark Brunell. That guy was ALWAYS a thorn in our sides when we had a really great and well-balanced team. The guy was a One Man Show. I'd love to have a QB like that leading these young guys...
:bananen_smilies046:

PawnshopMarimba
10-24-2008, 01:36 AM
I like this pick up. He was probably cheap, and I'm sure we didn't sign him to any kind of long term deal. He's showed potential, and hey... what do we have to lose at this point?

On the other hand, I'm glad we're going to get to see Thigpen again. He has been DROP DEAD AWFUL, but I can NOT shake the potential-factor with him. He shows moments of brilliance, and he FINALLY made a money pass to Bowe Sunday. His decision making was markedly improved; he remembered that he had a set of legs, and that that was a better option than trying to throw to a receiver wedged securely in triple coverage.

I think Thigpen could shine a little brighter if the coaching staff tailored the playbook for him a little better. Tyler's short for a quarterback, and I imagine a part of the problem is that he has a hard time seeing over the offensive line (I've been there.)

Roll the kid outside of the pocket. The offensive line is terrible anyway, at least he would have a running start when MacIntosh & Friends wave the d-line right on through.

Darth CarlSatan
10-24-2008, 02:04 AM
I like this pick up. He was probably cheap, and I'm sure we didn't sign him to any kind of long term deal. He's showed potential, and hey... what do we have to lose at this point?

On the other hand, I'm glad we're going to get to see Thigpen again. He has been DROP DEAD AWFUL, but I can NOT shake the potential-factor with him. He shows moments of brilliance, and he FINALLY made a money pass to Bowe Sunday. His decision making was markedly improved; he remembered that he had a set of legs, and that that was a better option than trying to throw to a receiver wedged securely in triple coverage.

I think Thigpen could shine a little brighter if the coaching staff tailored the playbook for him a little better. Tyler's short for a quarterback, and I imagine a part of the problem is that he has a hard time seeing over the offensive line (I've been there.)

Roll the kid outside of the pocket. The offensive line is terrible anyway, at least he would have a running start when MacIntosh & Friends wave the d-line right on through.

Mmm...Reasoned, insightful, and strategic post; Rep Added!

Hayvern
10-24-2008, 02:09 AM

Come on through, dump that load right over there will ya?

:lol::funnypost::yahoo:

jtandcrew
10-24-2008, 03:45 AM

I cant say anything about the guy we picked up but im looking forward to seeing Thigpen to get the reps with the starting unit. I also know that after the new guy gets familiar with the playbook he will move into the #2 position if not them giving him a start. It will be interesting for the rest of the year! WOOHOO! Thanks for a enteresting year Herm and CP! makes me want to spend my hundreds to by 2 tickets and the beer at Arrowhead! (Although I have to work every Sunday but I think you get my point!) :lol:

m0ef0e
10-24-2008, 03:30 PM
I cant say anything about the guy we picked up but im looking forward to seeing Thigpen to get the reps with the starting unit. I also know that after the new guy gets familiar with the playbook he will move into the #2 position if not them giving him a start. It will be interesting for the rest of the year! WOOHOO! Thanks for a enteresting year Herm and CP! makes me want to spend my hundreds to by 2 tickets and the beer at Arrowhead! (Although I have to work every Sunday but I think you get my point!) :lol:

:funnypost: Doesn't this belong in the sarcasm thread? :lol:

Seek
10-24-2008, 03:55 PM
DING-DING-DING-DING!!!

I don't think we traded him. I think he went to Oakland as a Free agent. It basically came down to resign Gannon as the starter or keep GRBAC. They chose poorly.

Darth CarlSatan
10-24-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't think we traded him. I think he went to Oakland as a Free agent. It basically came down to resign Gannon as the starter or keep GRBAC. They chose poorly.

The Understatement Of The Century.

:bananen_smilies046: