PDA

View Full Version : Who should the Chiefs draft?

coolguy1266
11-08-2008, 09:09 PM
A discussion on who the Chiefs should draft in the 2009 NFL draft.

Hayvern
11-08-2008, 09:13 PM

The biggest, ugliest, meanest, fatest, offensive lineman that is out there.

After that... get another one.

Canada
11-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Draft me

coolguy1266
11-08-2008, 09:39 PM
The following is a list of the OFFENSIVE players the Chiefs should draft. I think they should draft Michael Crabtree in the first round. They should draft Javon Ringer, C.J. Spiller, or Jeremiah Johnson in the second round. If they don't want to stick with Tyler Thigpen at qb they could draft Josh Freeman, Graham Harrel, Rhett Bomar, or Stephen McGee in the third round. If they do want to stick with Thigpen they could draft Duke Robinson, Alex Mack, or Ciron Black in the third round. Brandon Pettigrew, Jermaine Gresham, or Chase Coffman in the fourth round. They could draft Kenny Britt, Brandon LaFell, or Juaquin Iglesias in the fifth round. They could draft Brad Lester, Adrian Foster, or Andre Brown in the sixth round. They could draft Curtis Painter, Louis Murphy, James Davis, Shawn Nelson, Jason Smith, or Jonathan Luigs in the seventh round.

balto
11-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Crabtree is looking like a beast tonight!!!!

IF he has one of the best Combines in history for WR's I don't see how the chiefs could pass him up.

AkChief49
11-08-2008, 11:39 PM
it looks to me that they need Defense. 1st round, middle linebacker-2nd to 3rd round a decent RG

jap1
11-09-2008, 02:07 AM
Crabtree is looking like a beast tonight!!!!

IF he has one of the best Combines in history for WR's I don't see how the chiefs could pass him up.

You dont think the insane vampire known as Al Davis will let him go to any other team if he has a great combine? Al Davis is so crazy he would trade half his team to get that guy.

chief31
11-09-2008, 07:42 AM
So, you would have us go WR, RB, QB, TE, WR, RB then CB?

And I thought that Herm was as bad as hey get about ignoring the offensive line.

You have us paying op dollar for a third starting WR. Then, with an early second round pick, you list a fourth starting HB.

QB, I agree needs to be looked at some point.

Then, for the third season in a row, you would have us drafting a TE.

Just to come back and select yet another WR and RB. (Presumably 4th and 5th string guys, at best.)

Then you want a CB.

I think it is amazing that you have completely ignored three of the teams top four needs, with seven rounds. If you count two O-line spots as one position.

No O-line, whatsoever. Zero LBs listed and no DEs?

I don't think that even Herm/CP can ignore that many starting positions for more backups.

I'll grant you the need for a WR, but that would be far below he other needs.

Exactly what teams needs were you looking at though? It certainly doesn't look like it would fit for The Kansas City Chiefs.

Just for good measure, I will do mine, by position, for the most part.

I would prety-much finish my offensive line, right out of the gates, by taking Michael Oher, or Eugene Monroe.

Monroe is the player that was so good at LT at Virginia, that he forced our own Bradon Albert in to RG. If he can do that again, then we would have successfully addressed the retirements of Roaf and Shields. (Finally.)

Beyond that, aside from my not knowing all of the players, it's impossible to determine who would be available. So, I would just hope that there was some sort of pass-rush DE on the boards, when we draft for the second round, or we get a LB.

After that, we would need a QB, as well as the LB/DE that we didn't take in the 2nd.

If we were to fill those positions in the third and fourth, then I could look at CB and WR for the later rounds.

As far as HB, even if we magically rid ourselves of LJ, we already have Smith and Charles from the past two drafts. All I would want is a vet to throw in the mix.

We have also taken a TE in each of the past two drafts. And Cottam isn't looking all that bad right now.

Over the past eight drafts, The Chiefs have selected ten defensive linemen in the top-four rounds. And I have us taking another one.

Of those ten picks, we have had one success, and Hali is the next closest thing. Obviously, the jury is still out on a few, (Tyler, Dorsey and McBride) but we can't just keeping throwing draft picks at the area either.

But, with the only proven success having been traded away, we continue to have big needs on the D-line.

So, the only position that I would consider for our first pick would be DE. But it would need to be a player that has enormous talent, to knock me off of my O-line pick.

Anyway, I don't mean to bash your opinions. I just don't think that you are very in-tune with our team needs.

TRB05
11-09-2008, 08:57 AM
He prefaced his post by saying that was his opinions on the Offensive side of the ball. I don't think he was saying to make all those picks, just that if they are going Offense, that's what he thinks should be available and targeted.

At least that's how I read it.

chief31
11-09-2008, 09:32 AM
He prefaced his post by saying that was his opinions on the Offensive side of the ball. I don't think he was saying to make all those picks, just that if they are going Offense, that's what he thinks should be available and targeted.

At least that's how I read it.

Yeah. I kinda picked that up, myself. But it stated that they "should" draft them, and it ended with a CB. (I think.)

Plus, there was still no mention of either O-line position that should be filled.

jmlamerson
11-09-2008, 12:04 PM

Well, as I've posted before, assuming we don't clean out our coaching staff, I think the Chiefs should focus their draft on offense, and FA on defense. The reason is that the Chiefs offense, with a couple young additions, might morph into a top-15 unit. Our defense is in shambles, though, and no amount of rookies will make it good. We need solid, veteran performers on the DL and LB positions, not rookies.

To put it another way, Gailey is turning lead into gold on offense right now. Gunther/Herm are turning gold into lead on defense. I trust Gailey to build a good offensive unit through the draft a whole lot more than I trust Herm/Gunther to build a good defense. We've sunk WAY too many high picks into this defense over the past three years, and we have almost nothing to show for it.

If we can't find good defensive players through FA, then we just have to keep taking our lumps until our coaches/GM are fired.

As for the draft, assuming we don't have additional picks from trades, I'd go:

RT
QB
RG
C
RB
LG
WR

We need to draft a QB high. We need to sit him behind Thigpen for a year or two. If Thigpen turns out to be a great QB, then we have a wonderful problem of QB competition in 2009-2010. If Thigpen turns out not to be the guy, then we don't have to start from scratch in 2009-2010.

As for the LG, Waters won't play much longer, so draft his replacement now. The RT, RG, and C we draft should start immediately. We'll need a big RB in the later rounds as Chalres isn't an every down back, Kolby's an injury risk, and LJ is as good as gone. Whatever WR we get in the last round will probably be better than Darling, Webb, Franklin, or the other WRs we try to start.

Let's fix what's fixable (the offense) through the draft. Don't waste picks on defense.

coolguy1266
01-10-2009, 08:22 PM
notice i said OFFENSIVE picks i didn't even think about defense of course they need defense but i just wanted to talk about offense in this thread

TheLateGreat#58Fan
01-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I know I'm going to get eaten up for this statement, but am I the only person who hopes that our new GM can help get LJ on board and take a center maybe round 3 young QB maybe rd.1 or 2 with some flexability on when to take a Tackle (b/c this draft is pretty deep at the tackle position)- Trust me I dont dont think we can ignore the defense. Its impossible to dictate when certain players and positons will be available- focus on the defense as the draft unfolds besides these rounds and use FA. If we went this route the OL would be very solid ( which gives a young QB some time- and a motivated blocked for LJ would also help the young QB) sprinkle in Charles, we still have gonzo for now, I like Bradley and Bowe for now.

Just an idea

leaves
01-12-2009, 12:12 PM
1st round-Andre Smith, Orakpo, Mich.Johnson (I'm content with most people here)
2nd-C Alex Mac or Max Unger
3rd-CB Darius Butler or RB Rashad Jennings

Bike
01-12-2009, 01:07 PM
I like Alex Mack a bunch, but think he'll be long gone by our 2nd pick. If Pioli lands here, bet he goes after Stafford. I'd rather get Andre Smith...

jmlamerson
01-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I like Alex Mack a bunch, but think he'll be long gone by our 2nd pick. If Pioli lands here, bet he goes after Stafford. I'd rather get Andre Smith...

If Pioli lands here and Brady looks good for 2009, don't be shocked if we trade for Cassel. Swap 1st rounders and throw in our 3rd would be the probable trade (IMO).

Bike
01-12-2009, 01:23 PM
If Pioli lands here and Brady looks good for 2009, don't be shocked if we trade for Cassel. Swap 1st rounders and throw in our 3rd would be the probable trade (IMO).
Sounds pretty costly to me. I REALLY hope that doesn't happen. We can't afford to screw up this draft.

drstandley31
01-12-2009, 01:34 PM
I think I'd grab the best OL available with #1 pick. And unless there's somebody we just can't live without in the second round, I say trade the second and third rounds for a young but proven free agents at DL and LB. Enough with the "youth movement". I know we needed to get younger, but it's also a timebomb in 3 years when all these guys become available as FA and all want huge contract negotiations. We got younger, now let's get a few guys that don't need to "learn" every game. Just my 2 cents.

Bike
01-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I think I'd grab the best OL available with #1 pick. And unless there's somebody we just can't live without in the second round, I say trade the second and third rounds for a young but proven free agents at DL and LB. Enough with the "youth movement". I know we needed to get younger, but it's also a timebomb in 3 years when all these guys become available as FA and all want huge contract negotiations. We got younger, now let's get a few guys that don't need to "learn" every game. Just my 2 cents.
Absolutely. I'd draft ol with 1st 2 picks and shore up D thru FA...

yashi
01-12-2009, 01:42 PM
#1 - Best available OT that emerges between now and April, whoever that may be.
#2 - Mack/Unger, or Aaron Maybin DE from Penn St. if available here.
#3 - Shonn Greene, though I see his stock probably rising to the 2nd round unfortunately.
#4 - Best run stopping LB available
#5, 6, 7 - Whatever, add some depth at other positions.

tornadospotter
01-12-2009, 02:04 PM
I do not think the pat's will let Cassel go, Brady's rehab is behind schedule, Billicheat would be stupid to let Cassel be traded. imo

jap1
01-12-2009, 03:37 PM

I am not convinced that Matt Cassel will be that great. But, if he is, that deal doesnt sound too bad. Maybe Duke Robinson will be available there. Pick him up, and a free agent RT, and our O-line is 4/5 of the way to becoming the best in the league again. In the 2nd round we can get the best DE available or maybe Brian Cushing OLB from USC. Pick up a good DE in FA, and one LB in FA.

Only problem is that I have not been super impressed with cassel to think he is worth it. If I was certain he could continue his successes without Wes Welker, Randy Moss and Ben Watson I would definitely go with this trade. I just am not convinced that he will be a perennially great QB.

jmlamerson
01-12-2009, 03:48 PM
I am not convinced that Matt Cassel will be that great. But, if he is, that deal doesnt sound too bad. Maybe Duke Robinson will be available there. Pick him up, and a free agent RT, and our O-line is 4/5 of the way to becoming the best in the league again. In the 2nd round we can get the best DE available or maybe Brian Cushing OLB from USC. Pick up a good DE in FA, and one LB in FA.

Only problem is that I have not been super impressed with cassel to think he is worth it. If I was certain he could continue his successes without Wes Welker, Randy Moss and Ben Watson I would definitely go with this trade. I just am not convinced that he will be a perennially great QB.

I wasn't meaning to imply I thought it a great trade for us - just a likely one. Between the link between Pioli and Cassel and the probability that (right or wrong) we're changing QBs either through the draft or FA, it seems to make sense that it's what our new GM would do.

wildcat
01-12-2009, 04:01 PM
I wasn't meaning to imply I thought it a great trade for us - just a likely one. Between the link between Pioli and Cassel and the probability that (right or wrong) we're changing QBs either through the draft or FA, it seems to make sense that it's what our new GM would do.

I really hope we don't trade for Cassel. He is surrounded by talent in NE and is in a great qb system. His team is making him look good. I think he is ultimately a solid 2nd stringer at best.

leaves
01-12-2009, 04:08 PM
I would prefer not having Cassel, I haven't seen any real skillset that he has over Thig...except maybe being taller and slower. And in the 4th or 5th, I'd love to grab Ramses Barden too. You don't pass up a late round, 6'6", 235+ widereceiver.

yashi
01-12-2009, 04:18 PM
I would prefer not having Cassel, I haven't seen any real skillset that he has over Thig...except maybe being taller and slower. And in the 4th or 5th, I'd love to grab Ramses Barden too. You don't pass up a late round, 6'6", 235+ widereceiver.

I was reading about that guy too. He would definitely be an intriguing pick (and fun to use in Madden too!)

Ramses Barden, 2009 NFL Draft Prospect (http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Small%20School%20Football/ramses_barden.htm)

slc chief
01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
they should draft this guy in the third round. he is going to be an awesome de high motor and pretty quick. he reminds me of jared allan i watched him all year long he never gives up on a play

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/01/8.jpg Paul Kruger, DE, Utah
Height: 6-5. Weight: 260.
Projected 40 Time: 4.64.
Projected Round (2009): 3.
Coming off a national championship victory over Alabama, Paul Kruger has decided to declare for the 2009 NFL Draft as a mere redshirt sophomore. Though he could stay in school until he's 2011, I really don't have a problem with this; chances are, his stock will never be higher than it is now. Then again, he could continue to get better and eventually increase his stock enough that he becomes first-round material.

leaves
01-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I have seen him, and I'd be good with him instead of wasting the 1st pick. I couldn't help but notice the dramatization, mere redshirt sophomore=junior not allowed to play one year, but whatever.

Pro_Angler
01-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Crabtree or bust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Bike
01-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Bust. Fix lines.

Pro_Angler
01-12-2009, 09:14 PM
if we do not take crabtree which he will be the biggest game changer out of this draft , seattle will snag him with out a doubt..

Bike
01-12-2009, 09:21 PM
if we do not take crabtree which he will be the biggest game changer out of this draft , seattle will snag him with out a doubt..
Unless we fix OL, there will be nobody standing to get the ball to Crabtree. We have earned the dubious distinction of having to draft for need and WR aint one of 'em at this point. We need to work inside out. Solidify our lines first. They need help in a big way - both sides of the ball...

wildcat
01-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Unless we fix OL, there will be nobody standing to get the ball to Crabtree. We have earned the dubious distinction of having to draft for need and WR aint one of 'em at this point. We need to work inside out. Solidify our lines first. They need help in a big way - both sides of the ball...

I couldn't agree more. +1

Coach
01-12-2009, 10:16 PM

I'd be more surprised if the Pats traded Cassel than if they traded Brady.

leaves
01-12-2009, 10:23 PM
I don't care if we get Crabtree or not, but he is one of the few WR's where you don't need all the time to get him down field. Crabtree will catch about anyhing, he can play slots/slants/and deep, and he tall & strong enough to break the first hit.

Bike
01-12-2009, 10:27 PM
I'd be more surprised if the Pats traded Cassel than if they traded Brady.
Yeah I think Bradys rehab is behind schedule and Cassell stays...

chiefnut
01-22-2009, 12:36 PM
here is my favorite mock draft i have found

1 Michael Johnson DE GT

2 Phil Loadholt OT OK

3 Asher Allen CB G

4 Kraig Urbik OG Wis

5 Jason Phillips ILB TCU

6 Pat White QB WV

7 Jarett Villard WR Rice

except instead of Allen at #3 i like eitherJamon Merrideth OT, Vance Walker DT or Clay Mathews OLB

theaxeeffect4311
01-22-2009, 05:08 PM
here is my favorite mock draft i have found

1 Michael Johnson DE GT

2 Phil Loadholt OT OK

3 Asher Allen CB G

4 Kraig Urbik OG Wis

5 Jason Phillips ILB TCU

6 Pat White QB WV

7 Jarett Villard WR Rice

except instead of Allen at #3 i like eitherJamon Merrideth OT, Vance Walker DT or Clay Mathews OLB

Why Johnson and Loadholt?

chiefnut
01-22-2009, 05:17 PM
johnson is a high motor pass rusher, similar to allen, loadholt is a "load" at o tackle, both areas of need.

theaxeeffect4311
01-22-2009, 05:22 PM
johnson is a high motor pass rusher, similar to allen, loadholt is a "load" at o tackle, both areas of need.

However, Johnson is still unproven. He does not look the same potential that Mario Williams was a few years ago. I like the idea of Johnson, if we had another first round. At #3, it may be too high for Johnson.

Loadholt is not bad, except he had problems continuing his blocks. I know he'd be an instant upgrade over McIntosh at RT, but in the second round we could grab someone like OG Herman Johnson or OC Alex Mack then grab say OT Alex Boone in the third or fourth. Boone may even still be around in the fifth. So we'll see how this turns out.

yashi
01-22-2009, 05:26 PM
There's a good chance Johnson will be available when we pick in the 2nd round.. he's considered a strong underarchiever in college. Scouts Inc. actually has 5 other DEs ranked ahead of him right now.

Tyson Jackson could be an interesting prospect. He's suited to play DE in either a 4-3 or 3-4, and Dorsey dominated when playing next to him in college. He's also EXCELLENT against the running game, so he's a 3 down end for sure. A bit of an underachiever also, however... he was a bigger prospect than Dorsey coming out of high school.

jmlamerson
01-22-2009, 05:30 PM
However, Johnson is still unproven. He does not look the same potential that Mario Williams was a few years ago. I like the idea of Johnson, if we had another first round. At #3, it may be too high for Johnson.

Loadholt is not bad, except he had problems continuing his blocks. I know he'd be an instant upgrade over McIntosh at RT, but in the second round we could grab someone like OG Herman Johnson or OC Alex Mack then grab say OT Alex Boone in the third or fourth. Boone may even still be around in the fifth. So we'll see how this turns out.

I don't think Mack will be available in the 2nd. I think he'll be gone mid-to-late 1st. If he's there in the 2nd, we should to jump on him.