PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

drstandley31
11-09-2008, 07:27 PM
And you know he'll blame this loss on the missed extra point. The worst time management I've ever seen with 1:08 left in the first half, when they could have gotten into field goal range was probably the deciding factor. You're on the road, you're 1-7, your QB is very hot in the passing game and you pi$$ away an opportunity to put 3 on the board. And I know we beat him up for being conseritive, but why do you go for 2, when you could take it to OT. We couldn't convert most of our 3rd and shorts, why would you do that???? OMG I can't stand it.

Hayvern
11-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Guys, our defense was in tatters, was having a terrible time stopping the Chargers. Our special teams is horrible. Can you confidently say going into OT against the chargers at home would have been the right call. We got creamed the last time we did this..

Herm made the right call going for two in this game. Would it have been better had we not missed an extra point earlier? Yes, but we did and that play was evidence enough to go for two.

If he had not gone for two and we lost in overtime, you guys would have been screaming for why he did not go for two.

Herm gets a break on that call.

tornadospotter
11-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Guys, our defense was in tatters, was having a terrible time stopping the Chargers. Our special teams is horrible. Can you confidently say going into OT against the chargers at home would have been the right call. We got creamed the last time we did this..

Herm made the right call going for two in this game. Would it have been better had we not missed an extra point earlier? Yes, but we did and that play was evidence enough to go for two.

If he had not gone for two and we lost in overtime, you guys would have been screaming for why he did not go for two.

Going for two was a gutsy call, but I would not be pissed if we had gone into overtime, and lost. Going for two point conversion should not be a option over tying a game and going into overtime.

slc chief
11-09-2008, 07:50 PM

not as bad at least we had the chance of getting the ball in ot i have seen alot more defenses less beat up go against that san diego team and lose by more we should have gone for the tie any human being with a desent iq would have tied that game up

frazier1te
11-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Guys, our defense was in tatters, was having a terrible time stopping the Chargers.[quote]
Other teams have injury problems but they play through it and manage a little bit better than a .125 winning record... Therefore, I am not giving Herm any slack on that call!
[quote=Hayvern;105650]Our special teams is horrible.[quote]
Yet another reason Hermie has to go... He is ultimately responsible for assembling this team! If he has no more confidence in them than that, why would we have any more confidence in him? Think about it! Therefore, I am not giving Herm any slack on that call!
[quote=Hayvern;105650]Can you confidently say going into OT against the chargers at home would have been the right call.[quote]
I would have and 31 other head coaches in the NFL would have said to kick it into OT... Therefore, I am not giving Herm any slack on that call!
[quote=Hayvern;105650]We got creamed the last time we did this..[quote]
And?
[quote=Hayvern;105650]Herm made the right call going for two in this game.[quote]
Laughable... No coach would agree with you on this...
[quote=Hayvern;105650]Would it have been better had we not missed an extra point earlier? Yes, but we did and that play was evidence enough to go for two.[quote]
Evidence of what? The play with the highest percentage of success in football, and you think Herm was worried about us missing it? Think about what you are saying!
[quote=Hayvern;105650] If he had not gone for two and we lost in overtime, you guys would have been screaming for why he did not go for two.[quote]
Doubtful anybody would have brought it up... It was the logical decision to go for one and take it into OT.
[quote=Hayvern;105650] Herm gets a break on that call.
No... He doesn't...

Sleep it off

Big Daddy Tek
11-09-2008, 08:46 PM
And you know he'll blame this loss on the missed extra point. The worst time management I've ever seen with 1:08 left in the first half, when they could have gotten into field goal range was probably the deciding factor. You're on the road, you're 1-7, your QB is very hot in the passing game and you pi$$ away an opportunity to put 3 on the board. And I know we beat him up for being conseritive, but why do you go for 2, when you could take it to OT. We couldn't convert most of our 3rd and shorts, why would you do that???? OMG I can't stand it.
What a surprise, I dont agree with you Doc.

chief31
11-10-2008, 03:02 AM
not as bad at least we had the chance of getting the ball in ot i have seen alot more defenses less beat up go against that san diego team and lose by more we should have gone for the tie any human being with a desent iq would have tied that game up

You go for the win on the road, and you go to OT at home. All football people know that.

If you think that we would have been better off trying the extra point, that is one thing. But, despite what you might think, the majority of football people disagree with you.

If you name the NFL guru that you most respect, just know that he makes that same call.

Hayvern
11-10-2008, 01:20 PM

I am not sure about have a desent IQ, but it seems those with a decent IQ disagree with you.

At any rate, we did what we did. I think it was a gutsy call that, if made, everyone would have been singing how gutsy Herm was. It showed Thigpen and the young offense that he does have confidence in them as well. That single call probably did more for this team than we will ever really know.

Yeah, we lost the game, that happens sometimes, I think Thigpen will be kicking himself in the arse for not seeing Bradley standing there nearly wide open when he watches the tape.

drstandley31
11-10-2008, 11:18 PM
You go for the win on the road, and you go to OT at home. All football people know that.

If you think that we would have been better off trying the extra point, that is one thing. But, despite what you might think, the majority of football people disagree with you.

If you name the NFL guru that you most respect, just know that he makes that same call.
What? Hope you can find some facts to back that up. You go for 2 on the road, without a running game when all odds are against you, and not go into OT. No, most "Football people" would not agree. Have you ever played or coached? That's not in any of my manuals. Sometimes you do go, but that wasn't the time.

drstandley31
11-10-2008, 11:23 PM
The game was lost on the unbelieveable stupid play calling time management with 1:08 left in the first half when we could have gotten into field goal range. sat on it. then, call a timeout with 3 seconds left after wasting the time they could have gotten into range. That needs some serious answers.

TRB05
11-10-2008, 11:39 PM

You're right.

What? Hope you can find some facts to back that up. You go for 2 on the road, without a running game when all odds are against you, and not go into OT. No, most "Football people" would not agree. Have you ever played or coached? That's not in any of my manuals. Sometimes you do go, but that wasn't the time.

You're wrong.

chief31
11-11-2008, 03:07 AM

In fact, I did coach at several levels for well over a decade. From JFL to High School, to Semi-pro. But that doesn't make my opinions any more educated than those of the next guy.

Quit acting so superior because you have coached. That doesn't really mean a damn thing.

On the road, go for the win. At home, go for OT.

Few trash on Herm more than I do. But this was, at the very least, a close call.

Having been highly criticized for not coaching with more of a 'killer instict', the decision looms even more in his favor. IMO

So, while I will continue to voice my discintent with our current coach, and I will point out that he is 1-20 of late (without granting any excuses for this game), I simply won't use this decision as a tool against him, as he has given me plenty of ammunition to date. :D

Sn@keIze
11-11-2008, 03:21 AM
No, most "Football people" would not agree. Have you ever played or coached? That's not in any of my manuals. Sometimes you do go, but that wasn't the time.Im a football person and I agree with the call. Im not sayin I know more bout Coachin dr. standley. But I do know that NFL is a whole diff. dimension than lower leagues.

In fact, I did coach at several levels for well over a decade. From JFL to High School, to Semi-pro. But that doesn't make my opinions any more educated than those of the next guy.

Quit acting so superior because you have coached. That doesn't really mean a damn thing.

On the road, go for the win. At home, go for OT.

Few trash on Herm more than I do. But this was, at the very least, a close call.

Having been highly criticized for not coaching with more of a 'killer instict', the decision looms even more in his favor. IMO

So, while I will continue to voice my discintent with our current coach, and I will point out that he is 1-20 of late (without granting any excuses for this game), I simply won't use this decision as a tool against him, as he has given me plenty of ammunition to date. :DI agree.

Dr.Standley, as a coach on the field, you know more bout the situation of your players than anybody. If you seen your defensive players gasping for air, half of them injured. And you even interacting with them and they are telling you "lets go for it". ..what would you do?

I hate Herm. But he put his faith in his players. And at this point, that all I can ask for.

nigeriannightmare
11-11-2008, 05:37 PM
The game was lost on the unbelieveable stupid play calling time management with 1:08 left in the first half when we could have gotten into field goal range. sat on it. then, call a timeout with 3 seconds left after wasting the time they could have gotten into range. That needs some serious answers.

That's Herm Edwards and his uncanny timeclock management skills.