PDA

View Full Version : Herm went for 2!?!?!

Canada
11-10-2008, 04:55 PM
I just did not want to be the only member on the site who did not start a thread about this.

I do have a question though for all Herm haters. I know everyone blames Herm for the loss cause we went for 2 or didn't go for OT. At the end of the day it did not matter what he did, the haters were going to second guess him. However, over the last severaly weeks this team has shown drastic improvements all over the place. we are staying in games, our D has kinda started tackling, our QB play is freakin awesome, our O line is coming together etc.... Now the question I have for you all is this. If Herm gets blamed for everything that goes wrong on the basis of, he's the HC, that guy is Herm's pic etc..., when do you start to give him some credit for the improvements. Or are those somehow someone elses doing?

Sn@keIze
11-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I just did not want to be the only member on the site who did not start a thread about this.

I do have a question though for all Herm haters. I know everyone blames Herm for the loss cause we went for 2 or didn't go for OT. At the end of the day it did not matter what he did, the haters were going to second guess him. However, over the last severaly weeks this team has shown drastic improvements all over the place. we are staying in games, our D has kinda started tackling, our QB play is freakin awesome, our O line is coming together etc.... Now the question I have for you all is this. If Herm gets blamed for everything that goes wrong on the basis of, he's the HC, that guy is Herm's pic etc..., when do you start to give him some credit for the improvements. Or are those somehow someone elses doing?Someones elses doing:D

I will give credit when credit is due. And I do like the non-sissy playcalling. Still, he took part in giving this team its worst losing streak in KC history. Since hes been here, weve been going down hill. 9-7 his 1st year, 4-12 and who knows what well be this year.

And while we're at it, screw CP too.

Chan Gailey has earned some points back.

Canada
11-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Someones elses doing:D

I will give credit when credit is due. And I do like the non-sissy playcalling. Still, he took part in giving this team its worst losing streak in KC history. Since hes been here, weve been going down hill. 9-7 his 1st year, 4-12 and who knows what well be this year.

And while we're at it, screw CP too.

Chan Gailey has earned some points back.

I understand he is not a good coach. I am just curious who the dislikes Herm for legitimate reasons and who just bashes him no matter what he does. I guess some will find a way to give him all the blame without any of the credit, but man will you guys look like idiots if we come out with a team that goes 12-4 in the next year or 2 with Herm at the Helm.

You seem to easily blame him for the downhill slide that we have been on, but it is starting to look up. We are almost winning games with our third QB, 4th RB and tatters of a defense yet Herm gets no credit for having those guys ready to play whatsoever.

nigeriannightmare
11-10-2008, 05:50 PM
I understand he is not a good coach. I am just curious who the dislikes Herm for legitimate reasons and who just bashes him no matter what he does. I guess some will find a way to give him all the blame without any of the credit, but man will you guys look like idiots if we come out with a team that goes 12-4 in the next year or 2 with Herm at the Helm.

You seem to easily blame him for the downhill slide that we have been on, but it is starting to look up. We are almost winning games with our third QB, 4th RB and tatters of a defense yet Herm gets no credit for having those guys ready to play whatsoever.

I do not consider a 12-4 season a great season. That's the kind of season Herm likes. 12-4,11-5, 10-6. Lets see how many winning seasons he can get in a row before Herm will change my mind. Anyone can get lucky for a season, I wanna see a Chiefs dynasty. With that said, I give major kudos on going fot the 2 pt. conversion. On the road, 1-6, division rival, hell yeah you go gor the win.

However, the inconsistencies of his coaching is what gets me. 3rd and 3 with six minutes left, and the best play that can be called is a swing pass 2 yards befhind the line of scrimmage, and it was obvious that San Diego knew it was coming, because (i think it was savage) was met by about 5 chargers as soon as he caught the ball. Inabilitites to audible and make adjustments is what gets me. The same can be said for the 2 pt try, San Diego knew what was coming. Kudos on the trying to get a W, but a WTF on the play call.

jmlamerson
11-10-2008, 05:56 PM

I'll admit that I'm giving Herm a harder time than I would another coach in the same circumstances.

Over the past three games, the Chiefs have had the most favorable conditions that they are likely to have for the rest of the year. The offense was taking big leads, the other teams were turning the ball over, our defense was holding together - and yet we're still 0-3.

I don't think anyone will deny that every single player on that field gave everything they had last game. No one slacked off, and no player deserves less than our complete admiration. But we lost. Why?

My biggest complaint about Herm has been that his talent evaluations were awful, and his reputation stems from the fact that he plays his draft picks rather than FAs. He's able to say that most of his draftees have started, not because they're good, but because he hasn't had a veteran in the spot. I think we can blame entirely the Herm/CP braintrust for the complete lack of depth on defense that makes the collapses in the last three games possible. His bad gametime calls in the Jets and Bucs games didn't exactly improve my opinion of him.

Was it a bad thing to go for two? I thought so when the call was made, having watched our team take three tries to go just one yard. We weren't a threat to run in the two, so the defense was swarming back there to break up a pass. I admit that our defense was shot (for which I blame Herm) but I think we had the better chance in OT.

That being said, if any other coach in the NFL had made the decision, I probably wouldn't have objected. I probably would have admired him. But when I look at the idiocies and mistakes that got our team to where it is, I can't help but know that if we had a better HC and GM, we would have won the last three games. Or to put it another way, and yes, a bit foolishly, I knew we were going to lose whatever Herm called because he's the kind of coach that always makes the bad calls.

I think the only reason our losses are close right now is because Gailey is doing the best OC work in the NFL, and because Thigpen is vastly more talented then we could have believed.

I think Herm's now had three years to build a defense, and our defense is now worse than in 2005.

I think, if for no other reason than to signal a change in direction of the franchise, that Herm has to go.

greg3564
11-10-2008, 09:27 PM
I believe most of the credit goes to Thigpen. That kid has real talent. I think he just needed to shed some of his nervousness. If he keeps playing at this level, or better yet gets even better, we're looking at our new franchise QB.

As far as Herm is concerned, I wasn't disappointed or elated at the 2 point conversion. On one hand we had nothing to lose and on the other it sure would have been nice to win a game. The real problem lies in that Herm would never call that play in a season where we had a winning record. I don't think Herm is the real playoff answer we're looking for. His career win/lose record now stands at 43 percent(53-68) and as a Chief(14-27), 34 percent. His defense still gave up 400 yards of offense. Not good.

IlovetheChiefs
11-10-2008, 09:44 PM
True, greg. Just way too many losses. And a whopping 17 of the last 18. Herm also doesn't ever show much concern in his words or tone about each loss. I'd be glad if they canned him. I think most other teams would have long by now.

Whiplash
11-10-2008, 10:03 PM
I think going for 2 was our only chance at winning that game. Our defense was worn down, the only other way I see us winning that game was winning the toss and getting the ball and scoring on our first drive. Otherwise our defense would not of stood a chance in my mind. I realized that san diego turned the ball over twice but they also held the ball for 35 minutes of the game and managed to gain 400 yards on our defense. That is a lot of wear and tear on a defense and I think it was the right call. I'm still on the fence with Herm. I think he has brought a lot of good talent that can be developed. Is Herm going to be the guy that gets it done and develops these young talents....I don't know yet. I think his play calling in inconsistent and I would like to see him make some of these play calls when the season is on the line and not a blown season. I hate to say it but Mike Shanahan's offense is what I'd like to see as far as risk/rewards. I think the play action role out pass was the right call but i think it was expected by all. I don't know that's just my opinion.

slc chief
11-10-2008, 10:10 PM
i will give herm credit for finding thigpen and seeeing something in him and drafting bowe,albert,carr,flowers,etc but i will also give him credit for making us one of the worst teams in the league with his losing streaks and for some of the draft picks that did not pan out hint medlock etc that being said we are starting to turn the corner with these young players we all knew we had a losing season ahead of us this year with a good draft in 09 and if herm can make adjustmants and fix his stupid desisions and not go back to that conservative offense the sky is the limit he always preaches how the players need to keep evolving into better players he needs to do the same as a coach wich he has shown he can do if the chiefs spend a little in free agency this year on an o-line and a little more in the 2010 year i think we will be alright maybe a ligitimate superbowl team i can tell you this we are alot better off than the gaiders,lions,bengals we are playing good ball and improving

Whiplash
11-10-2008, 10:16 PM
With that being said what is the general outlook on LJ. I realize we need him and he's a great athlete. But is his TO like baggage worth it. I support the suspension but if these keeps up I say use his trade value and get someone who wants to play every game of the season. I'm not saying LJ doesn't want to but his off-field antics need to stop. He's either in it for the haul with us or stop wasting our time. He's a hell of an athlete and has a "rip your head off" attitude but leave it on the field. I'm excited to see him back as long as he adjust to this offense and is on board. Once again just my thoughtss.

jmlamerson
11-10-2008, 10:37 PM
With that being said what is the general outlook on LJ. I realize we need him and he's a great athlete. But is his TO like baggage worth it. I support the suspension but if these keeps up I say use his trade value and get someone who wants to play every game of the season. I'm not saying LJ doesn't want to but his off-field antics need to stop. He's either in it for the haul with us or stop wasting our time. He's a hell of an athlete and has a "rip your head off" attitude but leave it on the field. I'm excited to see him back as long as he adjust to this offense and is on board. Once again just my thoughtss.

We're in a bad spot with LJ. If we cut him, we eat his cap hit and have nothing to show for it. I find it very difficult to believe that any team will trade for a high salary 30-year-old injury risk/felon. If we keep him, we run the risk of his being a cancer in the locker room.

My vote: try to trade him out of division for anything, even a 7th rounder. Barring that, put him at the butt end of the depth chart and keep him riding the pine.

Sn@keIze
11-11-2008, 12:29 AM
With that being said what is the general outlook on LJ. I realize we need him and he's a great athlete. But is his TO like baggage worth it. I support the suspension but if these keeps up I say use his trade value and get someone who wants to play every game of the season. I'm not saying LJ doesn't want to but his off-field antics need to stop. He's either in it for the haul with us or stop wasting our time. He's a hell of an athlete and has a "rip your head off" attitude but leave it on the field. I'm excited to see him back as long as he adjust to this offense and is on board. Once again just my thoughtss. I agree.

Youll find that most of the people here expect him to be perfect and want to piss on him and cut him despite his 1700+ yds in 05 and 06.

Oh by the way Whiplash.....:welcome:

Canada
11-11-2008, 12:52 AM
I agree.

Youll find that most of the people here expect him to be perfect and want to piss on him and cut him despite his 1700+ yds in 05 and 06.

Oh by the way Whiplash.....:welcome:

I don't think anyone expects him to be perfect, but follow the rules close enough that you are still allowed to play or you are comletely useless.

Sn@keIze
11-11-2008, 01:02 AM
I don't think anyone expects him to be perfect, but follow the rules close enough that you are still allowed to play or you are comletely useless.
Ill agree with that. LJ was stupid and needs to avoid putting himself in that position.

But when done serving the consequences of his actions, let him prove that the Chiefs have an elite RB. He can and will do it!

chief31
11-11-2008, 01:04 AM

I do have a question though for all Herm haters. I know everyone blames Herm for the loss cause we went for 2 or didn't go for OT. At the end of the day it did not matter what he did, the haters were going to second guess him. However, over the last severaly weeks this team has shown drastic improvements all over the place. we are staying in games, our D has kinda started tackling, our QB play is freakin awesome, our O line is coming together etc.... Now the question I have for you all is this. If Herm gets blamed for everything that goes wrong on the basis of, he's the HC, that guy is Herm's pic etc..., when do you start to give him some credit for the improvements. Or are those somehow someone elses doing?

I am an extreme anti-Herm. But I agree with the call againsts The Dolts.

However, I reserve the right to hold it against him later, just to suggest that he is a bad coach. Lol.

Seriously. Like I would even need to use that. He has overloaded me with weapons for that argument.

It is the same as a Herm-backer trying to bad-mouth Vermiel and Cowher. (Not all Herm-backers, just the main one.)

Bias clouds judgement. And if you want soemone to look bad, then you will find ways to make them look bad. By down-playing their good points, and blowing their mistakes/weaknesses out of porportion. Sometimes, even suggesting that something that they may have done right, was actually done wrong.

Like going for two on the road. ;)

chief31
11-11-2008, 01:12 AM

LJ has just made himself difficult to root for. And I hate having a guy on the team, that I can't be supportive of.

Same deal with Herm, to a degree.

These guys would have to things to convince me, in order for me to really want them here.

LJ has dug himslef a pretty big hole with me. But, despite appearences, Herm is in relatively shallow.

Herm has three major flaws, by me. He is a loser, he has never taken QB protection serious and he hates scoring points.

If he fixes the latter two, then I think the first one comes right along with them.

LJ, however, wasn't really as high on my list as he should have been, when he was running behing Roaf and Shields.

He is a ****. And I don't think that that is something that he change, overnight.

Drunker Hillbilly
11-11-2008, 11:29 AM
LJ has just made himself difficult to root for. And I hate having a guy on the team, that I can't be supportive of.

Same deal with Herm, to a degree.

These guys would have to things to convince me, in order for me to really want them here.

LJ has dug himslef a pretty big hole with me. But, despite appearences, Herm is in relatively shallow.

Herm has three major flaws, by me. He is a loser, he has never taken QB protection serious and he hates scoring points.

If he fixes the latter two, then I think the first one comes right along with them.

LJ, however, wasn't really as high on my list as he should have been, when he was running behing Roaf and Shields.

He is a ****. And I don't think that that is something that he change, overnight.
Were you still supporting Allen after his DUI that could have actually resulted in the death of someone?

chief31
11-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Were you still supporting Allen after his DUI that could have actually resulted in the death of someone?

Yes. Should I quit supporting everyone who risks anyones life? Because that leaves nobody. If you drive while sober, you have risked some lives.

Drunker Hillbilly
11-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Yes. Should I quit supporting everyone who risks anyones life? Because that leaves nobody. If you drive while sober, you have risked some lives.
Now this is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have a cold and were in the presence of ANOTHER HUMAN BEING, you risked their life because their immune system may be compromised in some way which could lead you to spread your germs to them resulting in pneumonia leading to their death!!!!!!!! :lol: :funnypost: Driving while intoxicated is NOT the same and you know it!!! I love how you choose to support one while not the other!! Sounds like race may have something to do with it since you started to lose respect when he said he couldn't connect with a white coach the same way he could with a black coach!!!! Get off the soap box and call it like it is!!!! They both were wrong yet you seem to favor one over the other which is fine and your choice but don't bag on one if your not going to hold the other accountable!!!!

chief31
11-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Now this is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have a cold and were in the presence of ANOTHER HUMAN BEING, you risked their life because their immune system may be compromised in some way which could lead you to spread your germs to them resulting in pneumonia leading to their death!!!!!!!! :lol: :funnypost: Driving while intoxicated is NOT the same and you know it!!! I love how you choose to support one while not the other!! Sounds like race may have something to do with it since you started to lose respect when he said he couldn't connect with a white coach the same way he could with a black coach!!!! Get off the soap box and call it like it is!!!! They both were wrong yet you seem to favor one over the other which is fine and your choice but don't bag on one if your not going to hold the other accountable!!!!

One had malicious intent. The other didn't. And since Jared didn't hurt anyone, no. I don't find him to be a bad person.

That is how it is. Just because you support LJ no matter what, doesn't make him any less of an a**.

And the only place where race plays an issue is when LJ expressed his racism.

I feel no need to defend my dislike for LJ as not being racist, because there is no racism there. You just can't handle that anyone would dis-like LJ, despite his poor character.

But, if you call me a racist again, I will hand you an infraction. That is uncalled for, no matter how emotional you are about the discussion.

Drunker Hillbilly
11-11-2008, 12:28 PM
One had malicious intent. The other didn't. And since Jared didn't hurt anyone, no. I don't find him to be a bad person.

That is how it is. Just because you support LJ no matter what, doesn't make him any less of an a**.

And the only place where race plays an issue is when LJ expressed his racism.

I feel no need to defend my dislike for LJ as not being racist, because there is no racism there. You just can't handle that anyone would dis-like LJ, despite his poor character.

But, if you call me a racist again, I will hand you an infraction. That is uncalled for, no matter how emotional you are about the discussion.
Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!! Playin the power card again eh??? Never called you a racist! Said it may be an issue!

I don't care how anyone feels about LJ. Period! It's about wins to me. He is the best RB we have! I just think it's funny how you don't hold ALL to the same account! I'm not saying either of them are bad people but the Vikings thought enough of Allens off field antics to put a clause in his contract that states if he gets into any trouble before March 2009, they will cut his ***!!!!By the way, he was charged TWICE for driving while intoxicated !!! Is that malicious??????

nigeriannightmare
11-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Jared Allen has made an effort to turn his social life around, and to be a better citizen of the NFL and the community. That's a fact.

Has LJ even issued an apology to the team or the community?

chief31
11-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!! Playin the power card again eh??? Never called you a racist! Said it may be an issue!

I don't care how anyone feels about LJ. Period! It's about wins to me. He is the best RB we have! I just think it's funny how you don't hold ALL to the same account! I'm not saying either of them are bad people but the Vikings thought enough of Allens off field antics to put a clause in his contract that states if he gets into any trouble before March 2009, they will cut his ***!!!!By the way, he was charged TWICE for driving while intoxicated !!! Is that malicious??????

I don't like issuing any form of discipline to people here. But that was in extremely poor taste.

Allen was charged twice, and never hurt, nor intended to hurt, anyone. Not physically. Not emotionally. He didn't do anything. There is nothing malicious about DUI.

The fact that I don't hold JA accountable for LJs actions is rather normal. Why would I? I don't hold Derrick Johnson responsible for LJs actions either.

I don't hold anyone, including LJ, responsible for LJs actions. But LJs actions affect my opinion of LJ.

Drunker Hillbilly
11-11-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't like issuing any form of discipline to people here. But that was in extremely poor taste.

Allen was charged twice, and never hurt, nor intended to hurt, anyone. Not physically. Not emotionally. He didn't do anything. There is nothing malicious about DUI.

The fact that I don't hold JA accountable for LJs actions is rather normal. Why would I? I don't hold Derrick Johnson responsible for LJs actions either.

I don't hold anyone, including LJ, responsible for LJs actions. But LJs actions affect my opinion of LJ.
Nothing wrong with 2 DUI's huh???? WOW!!!!!!

Drunker Hillbilly
11-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Jared Allen has made an effort to turn his social life around, and to be a better citizen of the NFL and the community. That's a fact.

Has LJ even issued an apology to the team or the community?
So since Allen got in trouble before LJ did, it's ok? Johnson did issue a public apology!!!!!! It was on every fricken sports show in the country!!!!!

nigeriannightmare
11-11-2008, 12:46 PM
So since Allen got in trouble before LJ did, it's ok? Johnson did issue a public apology!!!!!! It was on every fricken sports show in the country!!!!!

Whatever. If you are comparing a DUI to a man, a large NFL athlete, assaulting a woman you are crazy. Jared Allen got drunk and drove, LJ let a woman get under his skin that says a lot about the character of that man.

Drunker Hillbilly
11-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Whatever. If you are comparing a DUI to a man, a large NFL athlete, assaulting a woman you are crazy. Jared Allen got drunk and drove, LJ let a woman get under his skin that says a lot about the character of that man.
Not saying one is equal to the other but they are BOTH illegal and against the law!!!! One however is more likely to cause bodily harm or death to another person than the other!!!! This is why I think if you are going to hold one accountable, you should hold the other accountable!!

chief31
11-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Nothing wrong with 2 DUI's huh???? WOW!!!!!!

A.) That isn't what I said. I said that DUI isn't malicious.

B.) I don't care who got in trouble first.

C.) His apology doesn't change anything.

Also, I have met Jared Allen, and he is the friendliest celebrity that I have met. (Tied with Larry The Cable Guy.) He enjoys life. He smiles and enjoys life at all times. It's pretty hard not to like that guy.

Then, there is the fact that Jared has made good on his promise to not repeat his mistake.

LJ has just piled on to his bad reputation.

Plus, I just don't think that LJ is all that great of a football player. :D

Drunker Hillbilly
11-11-2008, 12:56 PM
A.) That isn't what I said. I said that DUI isn't malicious.

B.) I don't care who got in trouble first.

C.) His apology doesn't change anything.

Also, I have met Jared Allen, and he is the friendliest celebrity that I have met. (Tied with Larry The Cable Guy.) He enjoys life. He smiles and enjoys life at all times. It's pretty hard not to like that guy.

Then, there is the fact that Jared has made good on his promise to not repeat his mistake.

LJ has just piled on to his bad reputation.

Plus, I just don't think that LJ is all that great of a football player. :D
We are always going to disagree on everything. You voted for Ron Paul and I didn't.:D

chief31
11-11-2008, 01:08 PM
We are always going to disagree on everything. You voted for Ron Paul and I didn't.:D

You didn't?!?!?!?! What the **** is the matter with you?!?!?!?
:lol:

Drunker Hillbilly
11-11-2008, 03:05 PM
You didn't?!?!?!?! What the **** is the matter with you?!?!?!?
:lol:
I guess I just fell in line with the rest of the country!!!!!!:D :lol:

Big Daddy Tek
11-11-2008, 10:24 PM

Thats exactly what Im saying Canada. I had an excellent thread on that subject exactly. Too bad Coach Benched me and my Thread for using the word "Idiots" in my title.

Chiefster
11-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Thats exactly what Im saying Canada. I had an excellent thread on that subject exactly. Too bad Coach Benched me and my Thread for using the word "Idiots" in my title.

The comparison here is apples and oranges; Canada is not calling anyone idiots. We have all looked like idiots at times, that don't mean that we are idiots. It wasn't just the word "idiot" that got your thread removed; it was the tone of the thread. Coach made a call that I personally support, and he gave you sound recommendations.

Big Daddy Tek
11-11-2008, 10:53 PM
The comparison here is apples and oranges; Canada is not calling anyone idiots. We have all looked like idiots at times, that don't mean that we are idiots. It wasn't just the word "idiot" that got your thread removed; it was the tone of the thread. Coach made a call that I personally support, and he gave you sound recommendations.
Dont even go thier Chiefster! I have a lot of respect for Canada so Im not about to claim favoritism, but if you wanna compare what I have written to what Canada has written, I look like a nun. (scary thought) Now thats apples and oranges!

Chiefster
11-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Dont even go thier Chiefster! I have a lot of respect for Canada so Im not about to claim favoritism, but if you wanna compare what I have written to what Canada has written, I look like a nun. (scary thought) Now thats apples and oranges!

...Or maybe it's avocados and grapefruit. Seriously, let's quit whipping a dead horse and discuss the Chiefs.

chief31
11-12-2008, 12:22 AM

I prefer oranges.

...Or maybe it's avocados and grapefruit. Seriously, let's quit whipping a dead horse and discuss the Chiefs.

Hmm... I have to go with Avacados.

but, if we going to talk about The Chiefs, then we can't very well quit whipping a dead horse. We just have to switch horses.:D

Guru
11-12-2008, 12:39 AM

This was actually a decision I agreed with Herm on. heh

Canada
11-12-2008, 07:39 AM

I never wrote nothin about no apples or oranges or avacados or grapefruits or any other fruity fruits ya idiots!! :D

Canada
11-12-2008, 07:44 AM
...and so what if I am Chiefsters favorite? I am pretty awesome!! :)

chief31
11-12-2008, 07:45 AM
I never wrote nothin about no apples or oranges or avacados or grapefruits or any other fruity fruits ya idiots!! :D

What about barley?

Canada
11-12-2008, 11:11 AM
What about barley?

mmmm....wheat barley and hops sandwiches for lunch!! :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
11-12-2008, 07:21 PM

Of course it is! :11: :D