PDA

View Full Version : When will it be our time?

nigeriannightmare
12-03-2008, 05:37 PM
My lack of football knowledge may come out in this, but here goes anyway. Some of you think that we are just a couople of players away from being contenders, others think that we need to gut the whole team from the management down to the kicker and everything in between.

So knowing that we need help on the defensive front, the offensive front, the linebacking corps, the safeties, etc.

Given that Herm will be here next year, which I don't get, are we talking 2 years from contending or are we throwing darts at a board in the dark hoping things will come together.

To me it all starts with Herm, put a winning coach with a winning tradition and the rest will follow.

Sn@keIze
12-03-2008, 06:17 PM
A new GM.

jmlamerson
12-03-2008, 06:59 PM
My lack of football knowledge may come out in this, but here goes anyway. Some of you think that we are just a couople of players away from being contenders, others think that we need to gut the whole team from the management down to the kicker and everything in between.

So knowing that we need help on the defensive front, the offensive front, the linebacking corps, the safeties, etc.

Given that Herm will be here next year, which I don't get, are we talking 2 years from contending or are we throwing darts at a board in the dark hoping things will come together.

To me it all starts with Herm, put a winning coach with a winning tradition and the rest will follow.

Every great team has four components:

1. Good to great QB
2. Great OL
3. Great DL
4. Great GM

Steelers, Pats, Bucs, Ravens, Colts, etc. have these. Lions, Raiders, Bengals, 49rs, Rams, etc. don't have these.

Games are won in the trenches. If we rebuild our lines, Thigpen turns out to be good (he doesn't need to be Manning or Brady, just good), and we get a better GM, the rest will fall into place.

slc chief
12-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Every great team has four components:

1. Good to great QB
2. Great OL
3. Great DL
4. Great GM

Steelers, Pats, Bucs, Ravens, Colts, etc. have these. Lions, Raiders, Bengals, 49rs, Rams, etc. don't have these.

Games are won in the trenches. If we rebuild our lines, Thigpen turns out to be good (he doesn't need to be Manning or Brady, just good), and we get a better GM, the rest will fall into place.

could not have said it better myself. oh and a good kicker helps during those tight games in the playoffs

JMDChiefs58
12-03-2008, 08:18 PM
I say the Chiefs will be a playoff team in 2010. Not the 2009 into 2010 season the 2010 into 2011 season. 2 years.

slc chief
12-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I say the Chiefs will be a playoff team in 2010. Not the 2009 into 2010 season the 2010 into 2011 season. 2 years.

with the way the afc west has been playing it could be 2009.you never know crazy things happen in the nfl. look at the dolphins and falcons this year.both have shots at the playoffs. wow that is reaching

jmlamerson
12-03-2008, 09:04 PM
with the way the afc west has been playing it could be 2009.you never know crazy things happen in the nfl. look at the dolphins and falcons this year.both have shots at the playoffs. wow that is reaching

The Dolphins and Falcons also underwent regime changes in their HC/GM slots. This is not a coincidence.

Guru
12-04-2008, 12:06 AM
When will it be our time?

Hopefully before I die.

Sn@keIze
12-04-2008, 12:26 AM

Hopefully before I die.
I tell myself that a lot.
:( :( :(

IlovetheChiefs
12-04-2008, 08:50 AM

Hopefully before I die.

I tell myself that a lot.
:( :( :(

Heh heh, so it will be our time hopefully before it will be your time!

And by our time I guess you mean winning the Super Bowl, for remember it was just 2 years ago we last had a winning record and went to the playoffs. 2010 seems like the realistic expectation to me too for the Chiefs contending again for post season play. And Herm and Carl may be gone after 2009 too. Then hopefully by 2011 we'll be SB contenders.

'95 and '97 should have been Super Bowls for us. We were 13-3 and had the home field advantage throughout the playoffs, but lost close ones to Indi and the Donks. Dallas and GB would have been tough opponents in those Bowls, but Dallas was on the slight decline by '95 with Switzer replacing Johnson. And GB's best team was '96. They were also on the slight decline in '97 and lost that SB to the Donks.

In 2003 we also had the excellent 9-0 start and 13-3 record. But in this case, even had we beaten Indi in that shootout at Arrowhead, we still would have had to win at New England. (But had we managed to do that, I say we would have beat Carolina in the SB).

So 1969 was our year, and 1995 & 1997 should have been our years, and 2011 will be our next one!

Chiefster
12-04-2008, 07:52 PM

I wouldn't look to be a contender as soon as two years from now, not with Carl Peterson at the helm.

hardcorechiefsfan
12-07-2008, 12:39 AM
... 2 years [?:lol: ]...
Sorry about laughing but even back when the chiefs were known to never lose at arrowhead, they couldn't make it to the play-offs as a wild cardexcept in a blue moon. These kids that are playing know nothing about defending their own turf(they might have been good at winning at home while they were at college but definitely not now and here).

1. They got to win games at home at a consistent rate before they can do anything.
2. They have to be able to win on the road. They have to break their losing records: ex. broncos in Denver.
3. Have a consistently great offense and defense. Are very motivated to play well.

None of this describes the chiefs. They have to want to win. For all we know, most of the kids are secretly hoping to get traded to a better team. They might be chiefs players but they don't have the heart yet like TG does. I feel like Thiggie kinda does though, I would hate him to be traded to go to another BETTER team.
When they have the desire to win for the chiefs franchise, that is when they have the possibility of getting into the play-offs and winning the SB.

Play-offs - 5 to 10 years
SB contender - 15 years