View Full Version : schedule and draft position

texaschief
12-05-2008, 02:27 AM
You can pretty much guess with the Chiefs remaining schedule:

@Denver
San Diego
Miami
@Cincinatti

that the Chiefs will probably win AT LEAST one more game @Cincinatti. You hope they could get one more at home, but with San Diego fighting for a playoff spot after the rout of Oakland thursday and with Miami fighting for a playoff spot as well, neither of those games look winnable. It would be nice to sweep Denver, but they too are fighting for a playoff spot at home.

So, with that said, the Chiefs will probably go into the draft 3-13.

What sucks about that is that there are SO many awful teams this year and that horrible record will probably land us 5th or 6th in the draft.

When you look at Detroit's schedule:
Vikings, Colts, Saints and Packers
They're not gonna win another game and go down in history as historically THE WORST team EVER in a single season and will ALWAYS be at the very least, tied for that distinction. 0-16

The Bengals' schedule is favorable for a couple wins at the end of the season:
Colts, Redskins, Browns, Chiefs
They could end up 3-12-1 if they can knock off the Browns and Chiefs. I bet they get one of them and if it happens to be the Chiefs, they'd win the tie-breaker which slides them past the Chiefs. I think they'll end up 2-13-1 with a win over the QBless Browns.

The Rams have a favorable schedule to put a couple more in the win column as well.
Cardinals, Seahawks, 49ers and Falcons
Actually, never mind. They might give the Seahawks a game, but I think the Hawks are better. The 49ers are playing a little better now and the Falcons and Cards are playoff bound. They'll sit at 2-14.

The Seahawks' schedule sets up for a couple wins at the end of the season also:
Pats, Rams, Jets and Cards
Well, it sets up for one win anyway.
3-13

Oakland's schedule MIGHT get them one more win:
Patriots, Texans, Buccaneers
But i doubt it. I think the Texans' defense is too much for Oakland.
3-13 (not sure who gets the tie-breaker with KC)

Ultimately, we're looking at a draft order:
Lions 0-16
Rams 2-14
Bengals 2-13-1
Seahawks 3-13 (coin flip)
Raiders 3-13 (coin flip)
Chiefs 3-13 (coin flip)

The Chiefs will have beat the Bengals to get to 3-13 which drops the Chiefs and everyone else below them. Then the Raiders split with the Chiefs in head to head. Not sure if common opponents comes into play, but if it did, the Raiders would slide past the Chiefs into 6th because they beat the Broncos AND the Jets. The Chiefs' only other victory would be against the Bengals and they wouldn't factor in.

The Raiders and the Seahawks have one common opponent in the Jets. The Raiders have beat them and I predict the Seahawks will lose to them in a couple weeks. That would put Oakland in 6th definitively.

Now it comes down to the Seahawks and Chiefs. There are no common opponents which I THINK turns the pick into a coin flip for the 4th & 5th spot. The Chiefs lost the coin flip last season, they're due. lol

That puts the Chiefs at #4.

Who do we take assuming:
QB Mathew Stafford
OT Michael Oher
OT Andre Smith

...are taken ahead of us?

The two best DEs in the draft are:
Brian Orakpo
Michael Johnson

The 2nd and 3rd best QBs are:
Bradford (soph)
McCoy (Junior)

The best WR is obviously Crabtree

The best OLBs are:
Aaron Curry
Brian Cushing

The best MLBs are:
James Laurinaitis
Rey Maualuga

The CBs are:
Malcom Jenkins
Vontae Davis

The 3rd and 4th best OTs are:
Eugene Monroe
Jason Smith

The best OGs are:
Duke Robinson
Herman Johnson

In my opinion, unless the Chiefs take Michael Crabtree at #4, the Chiefs will be reaching for any other player. I think Crabtree would represent the greatest value at the 4th pick. The problem the Chiefs will have is do they draft the best player available or draft for need.

I'd prefer they trade down and grab a DE or LB assuming they don't fill those needs or there isn't a team behind them in desperate need of a DE or LB (depending on who we want).

We need to fill one LB spot in free agency. I think there will be enough talent at LB in this draft to be able to grab one in the 2nd. So, the first pick should go DE with Johnson or Orakpo.

Coach
12-05-2008, 07:15 AM
I think the Chiefs will take either a LB or DE with the 1st pick. I like the guy out of USC, Rey Maualuga. But it is going to be pretty hard to ignore the obvious lack of pass rush, so I would not be at all surprised to see the Chiefs take the best DE on the board with their first pick. Then a LB, then an OG or RT.

windwalker
12-05-2008, 07:24 AM

@Denver
San Diego
Miami
@Cincinatti

that the Chiefs will probably win AT LEAST one more game @Cincinatti. You hope they could get one more at home, but with San Diego fighting for a playoff spot after the rout of Oakland thursday and with Miami fighting for a playoff spot as well, neither of those games look winnable. It would be nice to sweep Denver, but they too are fighting for a playoff spot at home.

What sucks about that is that there are SO many awful teams this year and that horrible record will probably land us 5th or 6th in the draft.

They're not gonna win another game and go down in history as historically THE WORST team EVER in a single season and will ALWAYS be at the very least, tied for that distinction. 0-16

They could end up 3-12-1 if they can knock off the Browns and Chiefs. I bet they get one of them and if it happens to be the Chiefs, they'd win the tie-breaker which slides them past the Chiefs. I think they'll end up 2-13-1 with a win over the QBless Browns.

The Rams have a favorable schedule to put a couple more in the win column as well.
Actually, never mind. They might give the Seahawks a game, but I think the Hawks are better. The 49ers are playing a little better now and the Falcons and Cards are playoff bound. They'll sit at 2-14.

3-13

Lions 0-16
Rams 2-14
Bengals 2-13-1
Raiders 3-13 (coin flip)
Chiefs 3-13 (coin flip)

The Chiefs will have beat the Bengals to get to 3-13 which drops the Chiefs and everyone else below them. Then the Raiders split with the Chiefs in head to head. Not sure if common opponents comes into play, but if it did, the Raiders would slide past the Chiefs into 6th because they beat the Broncos AND the Jets. The Chiefs' only other victory would be against the Bengals and they wouldn't factor in.

The Raiders and the Seahawks have one common opponent in the Jets. The Raiders have beat them and I predict the Seahawks will lose to them in a couple weeks. That would put Oakland in 6th definitively.

Now it comes down to the Seahawks and Chiefs. There are no common opponents which I THINK turns the pick into a coin flip for the 4th & 5th spot. The Chiefs lost the coin flip last season, they're due. lol

Who do we take assuming:
QB Mathew Stafford
OT Michael Oher
OT Andre Smith

Brian Orakpo
Michael Johnson

Bradford (soph)
McCoy (Junior)

The best OLBs are:
Aaron Curry
Brian Cushing

The best MLBs are:
James Laurinaitis
Rey Maualuga

The CBs are:
Malcom Jenkins
Vontae Davis

Eugene Monroe
Jason Smith

The best OGs are:
Duke Robinson
Herman Johnson

In my opinion, unless the Chiefs take Michael Crabtree at #4, the Chiefs will be reaching for any other player. I think Crabtree would represent the greatest value at the 4th pick. The problem the Chiefs will have is do they draft the best player available or draft for need.

I'd prefer they trade down and grab a DE or LB assuming they don't fill those needs or there isn't a team behind them in desperate need of a DE or LB (depending on who we want).

We need to fill one LB spot in free agency. I think there will be enough talent at LB in this draft to be able to grab one in the 2nd. So, the first pick should go DE with Johnson or Orakpo.

They might not have the record "forever", remember they are talking about an 18 game schedule.
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

jmlamerson
12-05-2008, 10:11 AM

@Denver
San Diego
Miami
@Cincinatti

3-13

Lions 0-16
Rams 2-14
Bengals 2-13-1
Raiders 3-13 (coin flip)
Chiefs 3-13 (coin flip)

Who do we take assuming:
QB Mathew Stafford
OT Michael Oher
OT Andre Smith

Brian Orakpo
Michael Johnson

Bradford (soph)
McCoy (Junior)

The best OLBs are:
Aaron Curry
Brian Cushing

The best MLBs are:
James Laurinaitis
Rey Maualuga

The CBs are:
Malcom Jenkins
Vontae Davis

Eugene Monroe
Jason Smith

The best OGs are:
Duke Robinson
Herman Johnson

Assuming we get the 6th pick:

I agree that Detroit takes Stafford and the Rams take Andre Smith.

Given how bad the Bengals D is, I'd be shocked if they don't go defense with their first pick. Orakpo would be my pick if I were them.

I think Seattle takes Crabtree, given their miserable WR corps. If not, I'll go with Michael Johnson here. They have Walter Jones at LT, so Oher is out.

Raiders could take anyone. If they go 4th, I think they take Crabtree. If not, I'll go with Michael Johnson here to beef up a pretty shoddy DL. Given the Gallery fiasco, I don't think Davis takes another lineman this high.

If the Chiefs get the 6th spot, the two choices I like best are Rey Maualuga or Oher (I'm not the biggest fan of Laurinaitis). I think Oher is a great pick, but it means moving Albert to RG. I'm OK with this, but I don't think it will happen. I think Rey Maualuga is the best pick and the most likely pick here. He'll get 150+ tackles behind our d-line next year.

We then focus on OL in the 2nd, 3rd, and (if I had my way) 4th/5th rounds.

theaxeeffect4311
12-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Who we draft depends on where we end up in the draft. I agree that we need a DE and a LB but neither one of those are worth taking if we are in the top 5. If we are in the top 5, we should take an OT (I'm liking Michael Oher). If we do get the 6th pick in the draft, I think we should take Laurinaitis. I like him over Rey Maualuga because of all the things he can do. Rey has a high motor, good tackler, and that's about it. Laurinaitis has good coverage skills, more speed than Maualuga, and can play inside or outside linebacker.

balto
12-05-2008, 01:57 PM
If we get a DE AND MLB in FA then that opens our pick WAY up.

Between a MLB and Oher at 6th? I say Oher

I would NOT move Albert to RG BUT move him to LG and Waters to RG.

Albert would be a All Pro Guard and I have no problem saying Oher will be a better LT then Albert, just think of those two on the same side.

honestly,

I hope we trade down and get more picks and not reach for any player.

jmlamerson
12-05-2008, 02:40 PM
If we get a DE AND MLB in FA then that opens our pick WAY up.

Between a MLB and Oher at 6th? I say Oher

I would NOT move Albert to RG BUT move him to LG and Waters to RG.

Albert would be a All Pro Guard and I have no problem saying Oher will be a better LT then Albert, just think of those two on the same side.

honestly,

I hope we trade down and get more picks and not reach for any player.

I agree with you entirely on Oher. I just don't think we'll actually do it, as the current regime seems to think that Albert's the LT of the future.

Problem with MLB is that it's a pretty thin offseason for them. This may be why we're moving DJ over.

Chiefster
12-05-2008, 04:27 PM
We might have a chance at beating Cinci which would place us at possibly third or fourth in line come draft time.

texaschief
12-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Six sacks guys. we can fill O-line spots later in the draft. You don't get chances to draft franchise DEs too often. Drafting another LT might be relative overkill if there is still a hole at RDE when we draft in April. I understand the problems on the O-line, but there is a bigger problem on the D-line if they finish with only 6 sacks.

Three7s
12-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Six sacks guys. we can fill O-line spots later in the draft. You don't get chances to draft franchise DEs too often. Drafting another LT might be relative overkill if there is still a hole at RDE when we draft in April. I understand the problems on the O-line, but there is a bigger problem on the D-line if they finish with only 6 sacks.
Depending on what DJ does, we'll probably end up with around 8 or 9. Freaking horrible.

Chiefster
12-06-2008, 02:30 AM

I may be wrong, but the sack total could also be affected by the injuries we've sustain on defense.

texaschief
12-06-2008, 02:33 AM
I may be wrong, but the sack total could also be affected by the injuries we've sustain on defense.

no. you are wrong. we've established the losing season is nothing but the head coach's fault and nothing else could possibly contribute to the bad season this year.

Chiefster
12-06-2008, 02:37 AM
no. you are wrong. we've established the losing season is nothing but the head coach's fault and nothing else could possibly contribute to the bad season this year.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I stand corrected.

jap1
12-06-2008, 03:02 AM

True. I hate to sound like a pessimist, but I cannot help but to think we would still be complaining about the lack of performance on defense.

tornadospotter
12-06-2008, 03:13 AM
WE SHOULD NOT BE COMPLAINING ABOUT DEFENSE!!
hermie is a defense guru, thats why he is the hc, right.............................?
bring back the feared Chiefs Defense,,,,,,,,,,,,,!!

wish it was so! :wheelchair:

theaxeeffect4311
12-06-2008, 03:34 AM

I understand where you're coming from, but it all depends on the Chiefs' free agent acquasitions (T. Suggs+Chiefs). However, you can not say that there is a DE worth taking that high in the draft. Orakpo has the production and is a workout nut. Yet he may not be able to step in immediately. He sounds like Vernon Gholston going into the draft last season. He hasn't even gotten a sack yet this season. Michael Johnson has the size and speed people look for in a DE, but he hasn't produced yet. That is why I am high on an OT. Michael Oher, Eugene Monroe, and Andre Smith are all future franchise players. Of course none of this is worth saying because we have not reached the Combine.

By the way, we drafted Jared Allen in the fourth round. However, the Chiefs also drafted Will Shields in the third round. Either way, there is talent to find in the later rounds.

DMN
12-06-2008, 09:38 AM
I really want to attribute the lack of production to the inexperience of the D-Line. but I can not. stats this bad are just a simple fact of them not doing their job. Not to mention that they cant stop the run at all either. I like tank. He will develop... and dorsey better really step it up this offseason. But I say draft a 1rst or 2nd round DE. We really need a linebacker as well.. but a pass rush will make the entire defense better.

I am curious if germ and queen make a little bigger splash in free agency this off season. Problem is CP's rep is so ruined that I dont think that players will sign with this organization.

PawnshopMarimba
12-06-2008, 09:55 AM
I still vote for drafting an OL and signing a FA to the D-line (any contract hounds know of any big names coming free in that department this off season??)

I'd use my first pick on a linebacker.

jb908
12-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Draft Lineman all day. Start with an offensive lineman then back and forth between defense and offense... The rest of our players with develop around good lines. We need to focus on the run game. I think our defense is going to be good next year hopefully without injuries and the pass offense is getting much better already. DRAFT PLAYERS ON THE LINE ALL WEEKEND. maybe a linebacker in the mix somewhere.

nigeriannightmare
12-06-2008, 12:44 PM

your sarcasm and inability to see Herm for what he is, a losing coach, astounds me. You were high on this d-line at the beginning of the year, stating that they need time to mature and develop, that losing JA was no big deal, for what we got in return. Now seeing that we have only six sacks you want to work on the d-line. I don't care about injuries, injuries happen every week the good teams have talent to replace the injured starters, and the good coaches adapt.

You may be able to put a draft together and tell us what needs we have via free agency or other means, and you may know football more than any other person on this board, but you are as wishy washy as Herm.

Who bears the responsiblity for losing seasons, if not the head cach?

theaxeeffect4311
12-07-2008, 05:46 AM
I still vote for drafting an OL and signing a FA to the D-line (any contract hounds know of any big names coming free in that department this off season??)

If we can trade down in the first round, I like the idea of taking a linebacker. But if we stay where we are, then take an OT and move Albert to guard.

As far as free agents this next season, I am hoping for Terrell Suggs. He played DE in college and is a great player all around. The only other big name DE for this offseason would be Julius Peppers, but with him turning 29 next season, he does not look as good as Suggs who will only be 26.

Sn@keIze
12-07-2008, 05:55 AM
As long you dont go into that 6th or later pick I dont think its to big a deal.

If Chiefs had the#1 overall pick last year they still wouldve went with Glenn Dorsey.

So if we have a basic idea of who we want. Chances are we will get him. Whether we get 1st or 5th.

I dont think we will be vying for a QB with anybody (or at least we better not be).

Three7s
12-07-2008, 06:14 AM
As long you dont go into that 6th or later pick I dont think its to big a deal.

If Chiefs had the#1 overall pick last year they still wouldve went with Glenn Dorsey.

So if we have a basic idea of who we want. Chances are we will get him. Whether we get 1st or 5th.

I dont think we will be vying for a QB with anybody (or at least we better not be).
Yep, I heard in an interview someone had with Carl that he was gonna take Dorsey if he had 1st pick. If this pick fails, it'll define his tenure as GM perfectly.

wolfpack
12-07-2008, 11:28 AM
they might win 2 more this year. no worse than 5th. with the schedule they have next year and they dont improve, we`ll be flipping a coin with the lions next year for the 1st pick.

TRB05
12-08-2008, 10:42 AM
I don't think a LB is worth a top 10 pick unless it's you believe he's Ray Lewis, and I don't see anyone this year of that caliber.

With a pick that high I think you have to focus on the key positions: LT, QB, Shutdown CB, and DE.

The Chiefs seemingly have their answer at CB, and I still think they are satisfied with Albert at LT, so that leaves QB or DE.

Sam Bradford or Michael Johnson would be my vote, in that order.

You all don't really think Thigpen is the answer for the next 10 years do you? Even if he ends up being a pro-bowl QB, there is always room for another QB. Look at Cleveland with Anderson and Quinn, they are both hurt now, and if they really needed to, they could trade one for a hefty price.

jmlamerson
12-08-2008, 11:04 AM
I don't think a LB is worth a top 10 pick unless it's you believe he's Ray Lewis, and I don't see anyone this year of that caliber.

With a pick that high I think you have to focus on the key positions: LT, QB, Shutdown CB, and DE.

The Chiefs seemingly have their answer at CB, and I still think they are satisfied with Albert at LT, so that leaves QB or DE.

Sam Bradford or Michael Johnson would be my vote, in that order.

You all don't really think Thigpen is the answer for the next 10 years do you? Even if he ends up being a pro-bowl QB, there is always room for another QB. Look at Cleveland with Anderson and Quinn, they are both hurt now, and if they really needed to, they could trade one for a hefty price.

Please, not Bradford. I don't like him, and you can count on zero fingers the successful OU QBs in the NFL right now. If we draft a QB, it either needs to be Stafford (who will go to Detroit, probably), or it needs to be in the later rounds. I don't think McCoy or Tebow come out this year.

The Chiefs could badly use a pass rusher, but sticking another rookie on the DL won't solve anything. If we sign a premier guy in FA, then I'd be more amenable to drafting a bookend high. Yes, I know this sounds counter-intuative. But, in my opinion, replacing Boone/McBride with a rookie will not improve our DL enough to justify the pick, not when we have so many other needs to fill. If we can sign a legitimate pass rusher to replace Hali, and we draft a guy to replace Boone/McBride, then we are going to see improvement. Otherwise, our rookie gets double teamed while Tank, Dorsey, and Hali get as much pressure as they did this year.

My personal opinion, either trade down, reach a bit for Rey Malagua, or get a LT (Andre Smith or Oher) and move Albert to LG or RG.

TRB05
12-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Please, not Bradford. I don't like him, and you can count on zero fingers the successful OU QBs in the NFL right now. If we draft a QB, it either needs to be Stafford (who will go to Detroit, probably), or it needs to be in the later rounds. I don't think McCoy or Tebow come out this year.

Well good point because there are soooo many Georgia QBs tearing up the NFL.

The Chiefs could badly use a pass rusher, but sticking another rookie on the DL won't solve anything. If we sign a premier guy in FA, then I'd be more amenable to drafting a bookend high. Yes, I know this sounds counter-intuative. But, in my opinion, replacing Boone/McBride with a rookie will not improve our DL enough to justify the pick, not when we have so many other needs to fill. If we can sign a legitimate pass rusher to replace Hali, and we draft a guy to replace Boone/McBride, then we are going to see improvement. Otherwise, our rookie gets double teamed while Tank, Dorsey, and Hali get as much pressure as they did this year.

My personal opinion, either trade down, reach a bit for Rey Malagua, or get a LT (Andre Smith or Oher) and move Albert to LG or RG.

Sounds like you are of the philosophy of drafting for need, rather than taking the best player available. I don't agree with that philosophy.

jmlamerson
12-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Sounds like you are of the philosophy of drafting for need, rather than taking the best player available. I don't agree with that philosophy.

OK, the best player available will be Oher (LT) or Andre Smith (LT). Let's draft one and move Albert to guard.

You're right that Georgia isn't exactly a QB factory. That being said, I still don't like Bradford. He has bust written all over him.

TRB05
12-08-2008, 02:44 PM
OK, the best player available will be Oher (LT) or Andre Smith (LT). Let's draft one and move Albert to guard.

You're right that Georgia isn't exactly a QB factory. That being said, I still don't like Bradford. He has bust written all over him.

I don't see him as a bust, but we can disagree on that. He is so accurate, but he does play in a system that inflates numbers, and is hard to guage exactly how good he is. He's just so accurate....

I'm all for drafting a OT, let him and Albert fight it out for LT, and put the other at RT, or Albert at OG, whatever, but you can't have enough linemen. I really like the OG out of Oklahoma as well, Duke Robinson, but he can be had in the 2nd if not the 3rd.

jmlamerson
12-08-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't see him as a bust, but we can disagree on that. He is so accurate, but he does play in a system that inflates numbers, and is hard to guage exactly how good he is. He's just so accurate....

I'm all for drafting a OT, let him and Albert fight it out for LT, and put the other at RT, or Albert at OG, whatever, but you can't have enough linemen. I really like the OG out of Oklahoma as well, Duke Robinson, but he can be had in the 2nd if not the 3rd.

I like Robinson too. I've said it elsewhere on this board, but I really believe the Chiefs can use this draft to rebuild their offense to a NFL, top-15 caliber offense. They need to draft OL, RB, WR, and QB. But several of the pieces (TE, WR, maybe QB) are there. I would love for the Chiefs to get Oher with their 1st pick (assuming Stafford/Bradford go to the Lions, and Andre Smith to the Rams at 2, and Oropko/Johnson to the Bengals at 3), and Nate Davis/Josh Freeman in the 2nd. We could then fill in the rest of our OL (depsends on if Waters retires) and othe positions.

I do not think that we can help our defense much with this draft. By my count, we need replacements for 5 of our front 7, and a new FS. We have to go to free agency for at least some of those.

Lets fix what can be fixed through the draft, and not throw picks away on what can't.

Coach
12-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Yes, maybe. But let's not forget that we are playing with our 3rd string Qb because our first two QB's suffered season ending injuries behind this O-line.

Julius Peppers and Terrell Suggs.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/fa/dl.html
http://www.theredzone.org/2009/freeagents/showposition.asp?Position=DE

Draft Lineman all day. Start with an offensive lineman then back and forth between defense and offense... The rest of our players with develop around good lines. We need to focus on the run game. I think our defense is going to be good next year hopefully without injuries and the pass offense is getting much better already. DRAFT PLAYERS ON THE LINE ALL WEEKEND. maybe a linebacker in the mix somewhere.

I would actually be in favor of this as well. Especially if they can get a couple of good players in free agency.

I would not be surprised at all if the Chiefs were VERY active in free agency this year. I think CP and Herm realize that next year is their last chacne to show the fans and the city that this team is headed in the right direction. If the Chiefs have another clunker season in 09', they know that they will be gone. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after a big name D lineman and possibly a linebacker.

I am an optimist, but I like what I've seen out of the Chiefs the last 4-5 weeks. They haven't won a lot of games, but they have stayed competitive. If the defense was playing better, I think they could have several more wins. This team could easily go .500 next year if they can develop a pass rush and if Thigpen continues to develop. They aren't nearly as far away as they looked about 10 games ago. I think the Chiefs need to spend some money in free agency to get a Haynesworth, Suggs, Peppers kind of player. Then address OL and LB with the first pick. Possibly take a backup QB with the 2nd pick. They might even be able to trade out of the 4/5 spot down to somewhere around 10 and still get the LB out of USC. They could use that trade compensation to get a backup QB as well. I feel like I can finally see a light at the end of this VERY long tunnel. I hope Thigpen stays healthy annd continues to develop. He and TG seem to the key to this team each and every weekend.

Chiefster
12-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Yes, maybe. But let's not forget that we are playing with our 3rd string Qb because our first two QB's suffered season ending injuries behind this O-line.

Excellent point! I still think ignoring the "O"-line in FA and draft is a mistake. I remember saying this last year.

I would actually be in favor of this as well. Especially if they can get a couple of good players in free agency.

I would not be surprised at all if the Chiefs were VERY active in free agency this year. I think CP and Herm realize that next year is their last chacne to show the fans and the city that this team is headed in the right direction. If the Chiefs have another clunker season in 09', they know that they will be gone. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after a big name D lineman and possibly a linebacker.

I am an optimist, but I like what I've seen out of the Chiefs the last 4-5 weeks. They haven't won a lot of games, but they have stayed competitive. If the defense was playing better, I think they could have several more wins. This team could easily go .500 next year if they can develop a pass rush and if Thigpen continues to develop. They aren't nearly as far away as they looked about 10 games ago. I think the Chiefs need to spend some money in free agency to get a Haynesworth, Suggs, Peppers kind of player. Then address OL and LB with the first pick. Possibly take a backup QB with the 2nd pick. They might even be able to trade out of the 4/5 spot down to somewhere around 10 and still get the LB out of USC. They could use that trade compensation to get a backup QB as well. I feel like I can finally see a light at the end of this VERY long tunnel. I hope Thigpen stays healthy annd continues to develop. He and TG seem to the key to this team each and every weekend.

This to would be nice, although I quit trying to speculate exactly what Carl and Herm might do in the draft; but, then again I'm much less an optimist at this point. I will be surprised to see Tony playing for the Chiefs next year.

balto
12-09-2008, 10:18 AM
If we don't get our DE in FA we MUST spend our first pick on one.

If we grab Suggs or Peppers and an Avg MLB in FA I would like to see this.

1st Pick: Best LT Oher/Smith (move albert to LG)

YES I know a lot of people HATE this pick, but come on we could upgrade THREE F'n spots with this. Oher at LT, Albert at LG, and move Waters to either Center or RG. All we would need then is a RT that we can get later on.

2nd Pick: Alex Mack C OR Tim Tebow QB

YES I know another unpopular pick with Tebow. I would honestly rather get Mack if he is still on the board, but if he isnt and Tebow is then I say we HAVE to grab him at this spot. If we stick with Thiggy then that means we are staying with a SPREAD type of Offense. I think that Tebow woudl run our offense WAY better then Thiggy can. Tebow is a bigger, faster, and just an all around better player then Thiggy and would be a beast in the NFL with our style of Offense. If we went with Alex Mack (best C to come out in years) then our line could go from worst to best FAST!!!! Of course if we do not pick up a MLB then we take spikes no matter what if he is still on the board at this point.

3rd Pick: Shonn Greene RB OR Phil Loadholt OT

I honestly think we can get a 2nd or 3rd for LJ. Say we get an extra 3rd for LJ then we must grab a big mean RB and I really think Shonn Greene would do great in our Offense. We have our fast guy with Jamal, but like you all know we really missed our power back in LJ when he was out. Now I think LJ has put his life back together, but it would take just one more thing for him to get kicked out of the NFL or off the Chiefs. I would rather trade him now for a 3rd and pick up Greene to replace him. If we keep LJ then why not grab Phil Loadolt (damn he is BIG) to be our monster on the Right side for years. I honestly hate teh idea of spending our first three picks on the OL, but /shrug why not :lol:

OK thsi will never happen, but if we got suggs and say someone liek Vilma in FA then who knows.

My mocks will change 100% depending on what teh chiefs do in FA this offseason.

jap1
12-09-2008, 11:27 AM
If we don't get our DE in FA we MUST spend our first pick on one.

If we grab Suggs or Peppers and an Avg MLB in FA I would like to see this.

1st Pick: Best LT Oher/Smith (move albert to LG)

YES I know a lot of people HATE this pick, but come on we could upgrade THREE F'n spots with this. Oher at LT, Albert at LG, and move Waters to either Center or RG. All we would need then is a RT that we can get later on.

2nd Pick: Alex Mack C OR Tim Tebow QB

YES I know another unpopular pick with Tebow. I would honestly rather get Mack if he is still on the board, but if he isnt and Tebow is then I say we HAVE to grab him at this spot. If we stick with Thiggy then that means we are staying with a SPREAD type of Offense. I think that Tebow woudl run our offense WAY better then Thiggy can. Tebow is a bigger, faster, and just an all around better player then Thiggy and would be a beast in the NFL with our style of Offense. If we went with Alex Mack (best C to come out in years) then our line could go from worst to best FAST!!!! Of course if we do not pick up a MLB then we take spikes no matter what if he is still on the board at this point.

3rd Pick: Shonn Greene RB OR Phil Loadholt OT

I honestly think we can get a 2nd or 3rd for LJ. Say we get an extra 3rd for LJ then we must grab a big mean RB and I really think Shonn Greene would do great in our Offense. We have our fast guy with Jamal, but like you all know we really missed our power back in LJ when he was out. Now I think LJ has put his life back together, but it would take just one more thing for him to get kicked out of the NFL or off the Chiefs. I would rather trade him now for a 3rd and pick up Greene to replace him. If we keep LJ then why not grab Phil Loadolt (damn he is BIG) to be our monster on the Right side for years. I honestly hate teh idea of spending our first three picks on the OL, but /shrug why not :lol:

OK thsi will never happen, but if we got suggs and say someone liek Vilma in FA then who knows.

My mocks will change 100% depending on what teh chiefs do in FA this offseason.

Am I missing something? Everyone wants to draft a new LT and move Albert to guard. Albert has hung in there against some of the best RDE in the league. If ANYTHING, move him to RT and draft a beast LT. I think he is too talented to move to guard. The difference in the NFL between a guard and tackle is ability to move to the outside, and I think Albert has been able to show he has those skills.

If you want to move him to the right side and draft a new LT, I can understand that (barely) but I dont understand moving him to guard.

jmlamerson
12-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Am I missing something? Everyone wants to draft a new LT and move Albert to guard. Albert has hung in there against some of the best RDE in the league. If ANYTHING, move him to RT and draft a beast LT. I think he is too talented to move to guard. The difference in the NFL between a guard and tackle is ability to move to the outside, and I think Albert has been able to show he has those skills.

If you want to move him to the right side and draft a new LT, I can understand that (barely) but I dont understand moving him to guard.

Well, Albert's done great since the Chiefs moved to the spread. Everyone has, including McIntosh and Albai. The OL (Albert included) wasn't doing so hot when the Chiefs were running a more traditional offense. We started running the spread specifically because our OL couldn't perform.

I think many people (me included) love the idea of starting:

Oher
Albert
Mack
Waters
Gross/Rookie

next year as our starting five. We would actually have a real OL that would allow us to either protect our rookie QB or to properly evaluate Thigpen. We would also have a pretty great line to run behind as well.

Most importantly, we would have our starting line put together (Waters excluded) for the next decade.

balto
12-09-2008, 03:33 PM
I agree, and we can draft Waters replacement next year.

Again, I would have no problem moving Albert to guard and drafting the best LT in the draft ONLY I MEAN ONLY if we pick up a stud DE in FA.

If we do not get our DE in FA and draft a LT with our first pick I will smash my TV, my wall, everything I own will get smashed hehe

jmlamerson
12-09-2008, 04:05 PM
I agree, and we can draft Waters replacement next year.

Again, I would have no problem moving Albert to guard and drafting the best LT in the draft ONLY I MEAN ONLY if we pick up a stud DE in FA.

If we do not get our DE in FA and draft a LT with our first pick I will smash my TV, my wall, everything I own will get smashed hehe

Except there are no stud DEs in the draft this year. Oropko and Johnson are the best, and they're not exactly NFL-ready.

Unless we sign a pass rusher (or two, preferably, and a space eating DT as well) in FA, our chances of our DL being appreciateively better next year are pretty slim.

Bike
12-09-2008, 07:06 PM
I like Robinson too. I've said it elsewhere on this board, but I really believe the Chiefs can use this draft to rebuild their offense to a NFL, top-15 caliber offense. They need to draft OL, RB, WR, and QB. But several of the pieces (TE, WR, maybe QB) are there. I would love for the Chiefs to get Oher with their 1st pick (assuming Stafford/Bradford go to the Lions, and Andre Smith to the Rams at 2, and Oropko/Johnson to the Bengals at 3), and Nate Davis/Josh Freeman in the 2nd. We could then fill in the rest of our OL (depsends on if Waters retires) and othe positions.

I do not think that we can help our defense much with this draft. By my count, we need replacements for 5 of our front 7, and a new FS. We have to go to free agency for at least some of those.

Lets fix what can be fixed through the draft, and not throw picks away on what can't.
Ah, I'm not sure I understand this statement. But, then again, I don't have the football knowledge as some people on this board. 3/4 of your offensive wants are already solidified. Qb with Thig and Grey, Rb with Johnson and Charles, Wr with Bowe and Bradley.
OL of course I agree. Why in the hell waste draft picks on these 3 offensive positions when we have such desperate need on our front defensive 7?

Sn@keIze
12-09-2008, 07:12 PM
I really cant get too excited bout any draft picks to be honest. This coaching staff can take great talent and make it seem soooo terrible.

We had the best draft last year hands down, yet hindsight it looks like we had the worst.

We have two 1st rounders on our Dline and this is the worst pass rush in NFL history.

Vanilla schemes and coaching are to blame. Until we get someone who can utilize the talent we draft, theres not much to get excited bout.

Bike
12-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I really cant get too excited bout any draft picks to be honest. This coaching staff can take great talent and make it seem soooo terrible.

We had the best draft last year hands down, yet hindsight it looks like we had the worst.

We have two 1st rounders on our Dline and this is the worst pass rush in NFL history.

Vanilla schemes and coaching are to blame. Until we get someone who can utilize the talent we draft, theres not much to get excited bout.
Best draft + worst coaching = a long time till we get to the playoffs.

jap1
12-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Well, Albert's done great since the Chiefs moved to the spread. Everyone has, including McIntosh and Albai. The OL (Albert included) wasn't doing so hot when the Chiefs were running a more traditional offense. We started running the spread specifically because our OL couldn't perform.

I think many people (me included) love the idea of starting:

Oher
Albert
Mack
Waters
Gross/Rookie

next year as our starting five. We would actually have a real OL that would allow us to either protect our rookie QB or to properly evaluate Thigpen. We would also have a pretty great line to run behind as well.

Most importantly, we would have our starting line put together (Waters excluded) for the next decade.

I must have missed that then. I thought Albert was doing a decent job before we went to the spread. I do not remember him giving up many sacks, but I guess I am probably mistaken.

I also thought we went to the spread more because that was what Thig knew. Im sure it is a little of both in hindsight.

theaxeeffect4311
12-09-2008, 10:49 PM
I must have missed that then. I thought Albert was doing a decent job before we went to the spread. I do not remember him giving up many sacks, but I guess I am probably mistaken.

I also thought we went to the spread more because that was what Thig knew. Im sure it is a little of both in hindsight.

He wasn't doing bad, but there is room for improvement. But he's only a rookie. You can only expect so much out of him. The reason people keep bringing up moving him to OG is because that is what he played in college. However, from the play of Albert this season, if they choose a LT in the first round (which seems most reasonable at our spot), then Albert will probably play RT. Even if the Chiefs are not active in FA, they still have to go the best player available. Hopefully, Carl knows that he can throw some money at Terrell Suggs to solidify the DE spot. He will only be 26 years old at the start of next season.

balto
12-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Maybe we get a LT with our first pick and grab Tebow with our 2nd. So then Albert could stay LT and someone like Oher/Smith could play RT LOL. You say NO way we draft a RT with our first pick, but if we plan to also draft Tebow then RT is actually everyone else's LT SINCE Tebow is LEFT HANDED LOL

It would be easier for me to go this way since we would be keeping ALbert at LT even if it wouldn't be the BLIND side anymore HEHEHE

texaschief
12-10-2008, 09:12 AM
We'll be picking probably 4th or 5th. While i wouldn't mind seeing the Chiefs take a LT at #5, by that slot, we could be looking at the 3rd or 4th best LT in the draft. I just don't think we should be reaching when we draft that high. When you have a top 5 pick, you need to draft top 5 talent. If that player happens to fill a team need, great. But you can't be reaching into the teens when you pick that high. You HAVE TO KNOW that the guy you take is going to be a legit stud. i don't care where he plays.

Looking at the top 11 players who are expected to be in the draft, you have to think it'll go:
Stafford-QB-LIONS-1
Oher-OT-ST. LOUIS
Smith-OT-CINCINATTI
Crabtree-WR-SEATTLE

That leaves us with:
Orakpo-DE
Monroe-OT
Mauluga-LB
Mays-S
Jenkins-CB
Johnson-DE
Bradford-QB

I LOVE MY LONGHORNS... but Orakpo isn't a top 5 pick IMO. He's out.

I don't think MLBs should be taken in the top 5 and if they are, they should be absolutely dominating. I just don't see that in Rey. He's out.

I think the Chiefs have tons of potential at the CB spots, but I'd love Jenkins. I just don't think the Chiefs take one in the top 5. He's out.

If the Chiefs stick with the spread, they're gonna need a mobile QB. While Bradford could be the best QB in this draft, I just don't see the Chiefs taking Bradford with Thigpen playing at his current level. Bradford's out.

If Orakpo isn't worth a top 5 spot, I don't know how i could justify Johnson being a top 5 pick. He's out.

That leaves us with Eugene Monroe (Albert's old teammate) and Taylor Mays. The Chiefs here are sitting pretty. Both players fill needs the Chiefs have.

Mays is a 6'3 230 lb. S that runs (a reported) 4.39. In mocks across the internet no one really knows where to put the kid. He's gonna fall somewhere between the Chiefs at 5 and the Patriots in the 20's. He is probably the best athlete in the draft. "Runs like a corner, hits like a LB."

Then there's big Monroe who undoubtedly would push Albert to another spot since he's already done it once before. Herm is always preaching "line continuity." I can't say I'd be shocked if they decided to take Monroe even if Smith or Oher were sitting there as well.

It would be a happy day in Kansas City if they were able to spend back to back picks on Monroe and Mack. Even if the Chiefs weren't able to grab a player like Gross, the Chiefs line next year would be amazingly stacked with potential with Monroe, Waters, Mack, Niswanger, and Albert.

The problem though, is there are no upgrades to the LB corp or DE spot. The Chiefs will have to undoubtedly draft AT LEAST one LB. I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a LB in the 2nd and settle for the next best C or OG later in the draft.

balto
12-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Great points!!!!

Also, you must remember the Rams and Seattle play each other still so one HAS to win and push us up a spot. So you could include CRABTREE OR SMITH in those names.

Our biggest need is a DE and I do not see it being that bad of a pick to grab Orakpo at 4, but I agree he is not really a top 5 pick.

Crabtree would be a great pick IF we stay with Thiggy. If we stay with Thiggy then we are staying with the spread and adding Crabtree would give thig one more MAJOR weapon.

You also left out Jeremy Maclin, not near a top 5 player BUT if you have to decide between a LT(that the chiefs might think they don't need) a DE(that many think is not worth a top pick either) or a QB(which is moot if we stay with Thiggy) then why not Maclin since he coudl fill our MAJOR need for a return guy aswell. With Bowe being our #1 WR we need that FAST 2nd to help Bowe out.

I'm not saying that we should take Maclin. I'm just saying he woudl make just as much since as taking one of the other guys.

My pick if we do not sign a DE in FA woul dbe the top ranked DE. Then get Mack in the 2nd.

jmlamerson
12-10-2008, 02:10 PM
We'll be picking probably 4th or 5th. While i wouldn't mind seeing the Chiefs take a LT at #5, by that slot, we could be looking at the 3rd or 4th best LT in the draft. I just don't think we should be reaching when we draft that high. When you have a top 5 pick, you need to draft top 5 talent. If that player happens to fill a team need, great. But you can't be reaching into the teens when you pick that high. You HAVE TO KNOW that the guy you take is going to be a legit stud. i don't care where he plays.

Looking at the top 11 players who are expected to be in the draft, you have to think it'll go:
Stafford-QB-LIONS-1
Oher-OT-ST. LOUIS
Smith-OT-CINCINATTI
Crabtree-WR-SEATTLE

That leaves us with:
Orakpo-DE
Monroe-OT
Mauluga-LB
Mays-S
Jenkins-CB
Johnson-DE
Bradford-QB

I LOVE MY LONGHORNS... but Orakpo isn't a top 5 pick IMO. He's out.

I don't think MLBs should be taken in the top 5 and if they are, they should be absolutely dominating. I just don't see that in Rey. He's out.

I think the Chiefs have tons of potential at the CB spots, but I'd love Jenkins. I just don't think the Chiefs take one in the top 5. He's out.

If the Chiefs stick with the spread, they're gonna need a mobile QB. While Bradford could be the best QB in this draft, I just don't see the Chiefs taking Bradford with Thigpen playing at his current level. Bradford's out.

If Orakpo isn't worth a top 5 spot, I don't know how i could justify Johnson being a top 5 pick. He's out.

That leaves us with Eugene Monroe (Albert's old teammate) and Taylor Mays. The Chiefs here are sitting pretty. Both players fill needs the Chiefs have.

Mays is a 6'3 230 lb. S that runs (a reported) 4.39. In mocks across the internet no one really knows where to put the kid. He's gonna fall somewhere between the Chiefs at 5 and the Patriots in the 20's. He is probably the best athlete in the draft. "Runs like a corner, hits like a LB."

Then there's big Monroe who undoubtedly would push Albert to another spot since he's already done it once before. Herm is always preaching "line continuity." I can't say I'd be shocked if they decided to take Monroe even if Smith or Oher were sitting there as well.

It would be a happy day in Kansas City if they were able to spend back to back picks on Monroe and Mack. Even if the Chiefs weren't able to grab a player like Gross, the Chiefs line next year would be amazingly stacked with potential with Monroe, Waters, Mack, Niswanger, and Albert.

The problem though, is there are no upgrades to the LB corp or DE spot. The Chiefs will have to undoubtedly draft AT LEAST one LB. I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a LB in the 2nd and settle for the next best C or OG later in the draft.
Cinci's not going OT. They'll either go DL, or if Housmenzadah and Johnson leave (a good possiblity), they'll go Crabtree. Either way, either Smith or Oher should be available to us. If they are, we'd be crazy not to draft one.