PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gonzalez

tornadospotter
12-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Gonzalez: A 'disgrace' if Thigpen isn't QB in 2009 (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1020/Gonzalez--A--disgrace--if-Thigpen-isn-t-QB-in-2009.html) http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/09/8.jpg (http://myespn.go.com/profile/violation?ou=afcwestadmin&at=7&vid=1228706377616)
December 7, 2008 11:12 PM

Tony is making it clear.

Coach
12-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Good to see. I agree with Tony, but I think we still need to get a backup QB through thee draft. Even if the Chiefs used their 1st pick on a QB, Thigpen would/should be the starter. I would prefer the Chiefs not use their 1st pick on a QB now that Thigpen is playing well.

texaschief
12-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Good to see. I agree with Tony, but I think we still need to get a backup QB through thee draft. Even if the Chiefs used their 1st pick on a QB, Thigpen would/should be the starter. I would prefer the Chiefs not use their 1st pick on a QB now that Thigpen is playing well.

Still have Gray and Croyle along with Huard and Ingle. Why waste another pick on a backup? A decision NEEDS to be made. Either Thigpen is your guy or he's not. Period. Either draft your future of you have your future. I just don't see the point in draft a 5th or 6th round guy to see him ultimately wash out when you could draft another great athlete at another position.

texaschief
12-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Tony is making it clear.

If you were getting the ball as much as he is, wouldn't you be trying to make it clear as well? :lol:

tornadospotter
12-10-2008, 09:41 AM
If you were getting the ball as much as he is, wouldn't you be trying to make it clear as well? :lol:
:sign0162: :D

tornadospotter
12-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Still have Gray and Croyle along with Huard and Ingle. Why waste another pick on a backup? A decision NEEDS to be made. Either Thigpen is your guy or he's not. Period. Either draft your future of you have your future. I just don't see the point in draft a 5th or 6th round guy to see him ultimately wash out when you could draft another great athlete at another position.

I agree, we do not need to draft a QB, unless in the later rounds, but only if we have filled positions of need.

JMDChiefs58
12-10-2008, 03:08 PM

If the Chiefs use their first pick in the draft on a QB I'm going to be done with them. At least until Herm and CP are gone.

Three7s
12-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm sure that Huard is gonna be released in the off-season, and I'm not sure about Croyle, either.

jmlamerson
12-10-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm sure that Huard is gonna be released in the off-season, and I'm not sure about Croyle, either.

There's about a 0% chance of Huard or Croyle being on the Chiefs next year.

Why would they use a roster spot on a guy who can't finish a game, or a journeyman backup who the coach hates?

They'll need a 3rd QB, either from the draft or from FA. Stafford is going 1, and Bradford is massively overrated. I could see us getting a Chase Daniel or Harrell in the 5th or 6th to be a project for us.

Nel Toille
12-10-2008, 06:17 PM
I agree that QB shouldn't be as high of a priority now that Thig is playing well enough to be the guy, however, if Bradford is available when the Chiefs are on the clock, you'd be an idiot to pass him up. I don't I can say that about McCoy, Stafford or Harrell

slc chief
12-11-2008, 12:54 AM
why dose the chefs suck ?

tornadospotter
12-11-2008, 01:19 AM
why dose the chefs suck ?
:sign0153: :blingbling: Because of carl peckerson.:D

Chiefster
12-11-2008, 12:54 PM

Agreed, we need "O" and "D" linemen.

jerhart
12-11-2008, 01:55 PM

x2 :11:

tornadospotter
12-11-2008, 02:03 PM
x2 :11:
Hey! I though that Chiefster and me were the only ones old enough here to use the, :11: smiley.:D

Chiefster
12-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Hey! I though that Chiefster and me were the only ones old enough here to use the, :11: smiley.:D

You are correct sir; although I think that rbedgood may also qualify, but I don't want to speak for him. :D

windwalker
12-11-2008, 06:07 PM
There's about a 0% chance of Huard or Croyle being on the Chiefs next year.

Why would they use a roster spot on a guy who can't finish a game, or a journeyman backup who the coach hates?

They'll need a 3rd QB, either from the draft or from FA. Stafford is going 1, and Bradford is massively overrated. I could see us getting a Chase Daniel or Harrell in the 5th or 6th to be a project for us.

I think there is a 90% plus chance that Brokie (opps Brody) will be on the rooster at the beginning of the '09 season. He has one more year on his contract and Herm mentioned the other day that Croyle could run this "spread" offense... Herm still loves him.... :lol:

tornadospotter
12-11-2008, 06:52 PM
I think there is a 90% plus chance that Brokie (opps Brody) will be on the rooster at the beginning of the '09 season. He has one more year on his contract and Herm mentioned the other day that Croyle could run this "spread" offense... Herm still loves him.... :lol:

So because of hermies love affair with brokie, he will get the starting job, and will be out in the first game, cause no way can he take hits.

Hayvern
12-11-2008, 08:33 PM
I agree that QB shouldn't be as high of a priority now that Thig is playing well enough to be the guy, however, if Bradford is available when the Chiefs are on the clock, you'd be an idiot to pass him up. I don't I can say that about McCoy, Stafford or Harrell

If you don't need a QB but that is the best that is available, yet there is a player that you need at a lower position, you trade down and grab another pick in the third or fourth round.

I just don't see wasting a first round pick because he is the guy available. Not only is it stupid to do it, it is also costly when you try to sign the guy. Let someone else have that headache and go for the hot Offensive Tackle or Linebacker that you need.

Chiefster
12-11-2008, 08:37 PM
If you don't need a QB but that is the best that is available, yet there is a player that you need at a lower position, you trade down and grab another pick in the third or fourth round.

I just don't see wasting a first round pick because he is the guy available. Not only is it stupid to do it, it is also costly when you try to sign the guy. Let someone else have that headache and go for the hot Offensive Tackle or Linebacker that you need.

Yup, because even the best of QBs behind a lousy "O" line will be equally ineffective.

texaschief
12-16-2008, 12:10 AM
CP Gone. Just another reason Gonzo will be here next season. He even endorsed Edwards. The guy is staying.

hardcorechiefsfan
12-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Gonzalez: A 'disgrace' if Thigpen isn't QB in 2009 (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1020/Gonzalez--A--disgrace--if-Thigpen-isn-t-QB-in-2009.html) http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/09/8.jpg (http://myespn.go.com/profile/violation?ou=afcwestadmin&at=7&vid=1228706377616)
December 7, 2008 11:12 PM

Tony is making it clear.

We NEED a QB back-up that is great; if we can get a full game QB put Thiggie in back-up.

But we do need another QB.

How are old you two?

CP Gone. Just another reason Gonzo will be here next season. He even endorsed Edwards. The guy is staying.
Do you got that straight from Tony's mouth?

tornadospotter
12-16-2008, 12:38 AM
We NEED a QB back-up that is great; if we can get a full game QB put Thiggie in back-up.

How are old you two?

How old are the hills and the plains of the Chief Nation.:11:

hardcorechiefsfan
12-16-2008, 12:48 AM
How old are the hills and the plains of the Chief Nation.:11:
Wow, that is old! (Respectfully-speaking of course.)

jap1
12-16-2008, 12:50 AM

How are old you two?

From ESPN:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3771725
excerpt from the article:
"I would expect there to be other changes as well," the nine-time Pro Bowler told the AP. "When things go this badly, changes are usually made. I think most players would be supportive of Herm."

tornadospotter
12-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Wow, that is old! (Respectfully-speaking of course.)
:sign0153: I was just asking!:wheelchair:

texaschief
12-16-2008, 12:54 AM
From ESPN:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3771725
excerpt from the article:
"I would expect there to be other changes as well," the nine-time Pro Bowler told the AP. "When things go this badly, changes are usually made. I think most players would be supportive of Herm."

Thank you. That saved some time. Although, now that i'm looking at the quote, he doesn't necessarily endorse Herm like I said he did. He said he expects "most players" to be "supportive." He didn't necessarily include himself, although, I don't know why he'd say that unless he was one of them.

Three7s
12-16-2008, 02:05 AM
Of course TG would endorse Herm. He's a players coach, so players are going to love the guy.

texaschief
12-16-2008, 04:39 AM
Of course TG would endorse Herm. He's a players coach, so players are going to love the guy.

So, you don't think players can see things objectively? You say he's a player's coach as if that makes him a bad coach. Personally, if the coach has the support of people who are IN the organization AND the players, then I don't think he shouldn't just be thrown away. Is this team complete and exactly where we all want it to be? No. But something has to be said for a guy who has lost as much as he has and STILL has the support of almost EVERYONE inside the organization.

This team was gawd awful before Gailey and Thigpen figured the offense out. They could've just quit the rest of the way like they did last season. But that hasn't happened. Yeah, they haven't won a bunch of games, but they haven't quit. Nobody on this team has quit yet.

Y'all talk about how bad of a coach Edwards is, but this team is young and is going to make mistakes. One of the biggest stats you can look at to get an indication about coaching is penalty yardage. The Chiefs rank 26th in the league as far as penalties accrued. They currently have 67 penalties for 526 yards. That's only 100 yards less than the best team in the league (Patriots). Being a league leader in this category indicates a disciplined and well coached team. Look at the most penalized teams in the league (Cowboys and Raiders) and you'll see there isn't much coaching or disciplining going on there. The Titans are the third more penalized team, the Giants and Ravens are 6th. I have to think that is because each of those defenses are extremely aggressive and probably account for more penalties than their offenses do.

The Chiefs are also tied for 3rd in Turnover Differential at +8. Only the Chiefs and Browns are teams in the top 15 in that department who ARE NOT in the playoff hunt.

I'm not saying this team is complete. It still has plenty of work that needs to be done to it, but when you're in the top 10 in Turnover Ratio, you always have a good chance to win ball games. As I've posted in another thread, if you look at what this team did with 40+ 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players along with the unbelievable rash of injuries and having to play half the season without a direction at QB and still be in contention to win possibly 8, 9 or 10 games this year was incredible!!!

Did Herm make bad coaching decisions? Hell yes he did!! I'm absolutely positive he did. EVERY coach does. Is this team's record entirely HIS fault? Absolutely not and it's ridiculous to even try and say it is. Rookie play and bad luck is responsible for some of it as well. This season is going to prove to be a valuable season for the young guys and is going to go a long way to solidifying the foundation for this team.

Even with Herm as the head coach, an honest fan HAS TO agree that if the Chiefs signed a few key free agents this season to go along with another good draft class, a more developed offensive system, a complete LB corp, a pass rushing DE, healthy CBs, and a favorable schedule, this team has a great chance at competing for the division crown next season.

If this team isn't over .500 with Herm as the head coach next year, I'd be ok with letting him leave before the 2010 off season. Even though the Chiefs will still be a young team in 2009, they should be better than a .500 team. I just think this team is a lot better than most of you think it is and is only a few players away from being legit playoff contenders.

Three7s
12-16-2008, 08:38 AM
There are three things that I grade a head-coach on as to whether he can get the job done or not. You can have your opinion of Herm, but I have mine, just like the rest of the members on this forum. With that said, here's the first thing.

The ability to find and teach talent by Draft or Free Agency. Actually, I find Herm to be pretty good in this aspect. It is clear that there is some talent on this field, even if some of it was unexpected. (Thigpen)

The second thing is formulating a game-plan and motivating the players to execute it to perfection, as well as come to the game with energy and emotion. I feel that he's done this as well. We're close in the games, for the most part, and we always seem to get off to a good start.

The third thing is the ability to manage the game. It's one thing to make a game-plan and get players to execute it, but it's another to make adjustments when needed. He has clearly NOT been proven to do that AT ALL! He has lost us a lot of games in the 2nd half this season, and I fully blame Herm for not preparing these guys in that locker room at half-time. He makes absolutely NO adjustments, and it is a complete joke seeing this team in the 2nd half. Not to mention, he's still a horrible clock manager.

Some might say 2/3 is pretty good, but not when you're a head-coach of an NFL Franchise. If you can't do all three flawlessly then you aren't good enough to be a head-coach in the NFL, and it's that simple. Of course, this is all my opinion, too. :D