PDA

View Full Version : Larry Johnson...near future?

leoness8
12-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Hey guys...any talk around kansas city about Larry Johnson's status for the near future? I mean if the Chiefs play well enough in the spread offence in their remaining games do the chiefs let go of larry who is sometimes a distraction and just go with a couple shifty running backs like charles and kolby and a goaline RB. Larry's production is somewhat reduced because of the spread...so would this make any sense?

jap1
12-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Hey guys...any talk around kansas city about Larry Johnson's status for the near future? I mean if the Chiefs play well enough in the spread offence in their remaining games do the chiefs let go of larry who is sometimes a distraction and just go with a couple shifty running backs like charles and kolby and a goaline RB. Larry's production is somewhat reduced because of the spread...so would this make any sense?

I dont live in KC, so I dont have any insider info. But I wouldnt be surprised if they wait to see the outcome of his court dates in Jan. If he is given a slap on the wrist, and the league doesnt give him too much more punishment, then the Chiefs will prob look to re-negotiate his contract.

His agent quit during the middle of all the suspensions he had this year, either for reasons we wont ever know, or because he knows LJ is about to eat a pay cut.

If the Chiefs can renegotiate his contract, I think Herm will try to keep him. Herm loves having a big back that can pound the ball if we have a lead, and I dont think he sees that in Charles.

balto
12-14-2008, 10:16 PM
IF they can get a 2nd rounder I say do it and draft Shonn Greene in the 3rd to replace LJ.

greg3564
12-14-2008, 11:04 PM
I've said it before, LJ won't be here next season. The team is way under the salary cap and LJ isn't producing. Add that to his multiple arrests, his on field tantrums, his rumored dislike by other players in the locker room and you have a recipe for either a trade or flat out release. He's also going to turn 30 next season and by all appearances he just can't stay out of trouble. He was way too much down side and not nearly enough upside to keep him around.

jap1
12-14-2008, 11:24 PM
I've said it before, LJ won't be here next season. The team is way under the salary cap and LJ isn't producing. Add that to his multiple arrests, his on field tantrums, his rumored dislike by other players in the locker room and you have a recipe for either a trade or flat out release. He's also going to turn 30 next season and by all appearances he just can't stay out of trouble. He was way too much down side and not nearly enough upside to keep him around.

I kind of disagree. Yes LJ isnt producing raw numbers, but I think that when the line gives him a small lane, he is breaking runs for yardage. The problem is that he is either hit in the backfield or they penetrate/stuff the hole and make him change direction before he hits the line. I dont think there is a right or wrong stance on that, though.

As far as us being under the salary cap, I dont see how that affects keeping LJ.

jmlamerson
12-15-2008, 10:01 AM
I kind of disagree. Yes LJ isnt producing raw numbers, but I think that when the line gives him a small lane, he is breaking runs for yardage. The problem is that he is either hit in the backfield or they penetrate/stuff the hole and make him change direction before he hits the line. I dont think there is a right or wrong stance on that, though.

As far as us being under the salary cap, I dont see how that affects keeping LJ.

Because we're far under the salary cap, we can release or trade LJ without the immediate cap hit sending us over the cap for 2009. We could release/trade LJ and still have flexibility in the FA market.

LJ is a good player to have when you're winning and a bad one to have when you're losing. As we'll be losing for the forseeable future (ie until we get new management), it doesn't do us any good to keep him. RB is the easiest position to fill on a football team. Trade him if possible (I don't think it will be possible - who will want his salary and problems?), or just outright release him.

leoness8
12-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Yeah...I agree with being able to fill the running back position easily. Your starting to see rookie running backs come into the league and produce right away. We are seeing it this year in guys like Matt Forte and Steve Slaton. We all know what happens when a running back hits the age of 30...they slowly start producing the high end production numbers that they are used to. LT is a great example of that this year... It will be interesting to see which direction the chiefs go regarding their running backs for next season.

tornadospotter
12-15-2008, 12:07 PM
I think he will be back next season, not saying that is good or bad, just saying he will be back next season. I just do not know if any team will trade for him and to cut him loose, to sign with anyone, with the money already invest in him, no, do not see that happening.

jap1
12-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Because we're far under the salary cap, we can release or trade LJ without the immediate cap hit sending us over the cap for 2009. We could release/trade LJ and still have flexibility in the FA market.

LJ is a good player to have when you're winning and a bad one to have when you're losing. As we'll be losing for the forseeable future (ie until we get new management), it doesn't do us any good to keep him. RB is the easiest position to fill on a football team. Trade him if possible (I don't think it will be possible - who will want his salary and problems?), or just outright release him.

I see. Thanks for the clarification, forgot about the cap hit. I think the only way he is traded is if we renegotiate a smaller contract and then make a trade. I think he can MAYBE draw a late 2nd round pick if his contract was small enough.

kcchiefs4life
12-15-2008, 08:37 PM
I see. Thanks for the clarification, forgot about the cap hit. I think the only way he is traded is if we renegotiate a smaller contract and then make a trade. I think he can MAYBE draw a late 2nd round pick if his contract was small enough.
I would be ok with a 2nd round for LJ. Let him go somewhere else and beat women up. Good luck to him getting a nice big contract tho....I always thought if he went somewhere else he would not be a very good runner, as you have to TRY on the field once in a while. You know what they say....mo money mo problems.

leaves
12-15-2008, 08:56 PM
I don't mind LJ, and when he was prime, he was PRIME... but

the idea of Charles, Smith, and a big back idea is on par with the NYG's or NE's. If only we can get an OL, or the powerback could be a FB. Remember when KC used those right.

jmlamerson
12-16-2008, 10:48 AM

Except LJ has no reason to renegotiate his contract. If he gets released, he can just sign a new contract and get a new bonus. If he stays, he gets paid his contract amount. The Chiefs aren't anywhere near the cap, so they can't ask him to renegotiate on those grounds.

And even if he did, who do you see trading for him? The Eagles could use a big back, but they don't waste picks for a 2nd back. Seattle could use him, but again, their franchise is too smart to spend a high pick on a 30-year-old RB, especially after the Shaun Alexander fiasco. Denver could, but we aren't trading him in division, and they won't spend a first day pick on a RB in the draft, much less through trades. The new Lions GM isn't going to blow a high pick on a RB given their holes. The Raiders don't need a RB. The Rams have Jackson to worry about. Texans have Slaton. The Cardinals may sign him as a FA, but they aren't a trading team. The 49ers are sticking with Gore. The Skins love to trade, and Portis is looking like trouble, but they don't have a 2nd rounder, and they have too many cap problems as it is.

I mean, who will give up a pick for LJ? Even if he agreed to renegotiate?

I think it's Madden GMing when people think LJ has trade value. Most teams don't need the headache, and teams have learned the hard way that the RB is one of the most replacable persons on the team.

In the end, we'll either have to cut him or keep him. I vote cut him. If for no other reason than to signal a change in direction of the team.

jap1
12-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Except LJ has no reason to renegotiate his contract. If he gets released, he can just sign a new contract and get a new bonus. If he stays, he gets paid his contract amount. The Chiefs aren't anywhere near the cap, so they can't ask him to renegotiate on those grounds.

And even if he did, who do you see trading for him? The Eagles could use a big back, but they don't waste picks for a 2nd back. Seattle could use him, but again, their franchise is too smart to spend a high pick on a 30-year-old RB, especially after the Shaun Alexander fiasco. Denver could, but we aren't trading him in division, and they won't spend a first day pick on a RB in the draft, much less through trades. The new Lions GM isn't going to blow a high pick on a RB given their holes. The Raiders don't need a RB. The Rams have Jackson to worry about. Texans have Slaton. The Cardinals may sign him as a FA, but they aren't a trading team. The 49ers are sticking with Gore. The Skins love to trade, and Portis is looking like trouble, but they don't have a 2nd rounder, and they have too many cap problems as it is.

I mean, who will give up a pick for LJ? Even if he agreed to renegotiate?

I think it's Madden GMing when people think LJ has trade value. Most teams don't need the headache, and teams have learned the hard way that the RB is one of the most replacable persons on the team.

In the end, we'll either have to cut him or keep him. I vote cut him. If for no other reason than to signal a change in direction of the team.

Ill admit it is a little bit of Madden GM'ing, but I think LJ may realize that no one will resign him to anywhere near his current contract. Realistically, I think if he was cut, then he would get a pretty small contract, where he may get something bigger for a draft pick (in reality we prob could never swing a 2nd rounder for him).

I think Cleveland (jamal lewis is showing his age) or Cinci could use him, but I dont know the teams well enough to know if they would be willing to give anything for him.

In the end it will come down to whether they feel they can get someone in the later rounds of the draft to replace him. I still honestly believe that if he gets decent blocking for a whole year, then he can still be a 1000-1500 yard runner in a traditional offense.

But all this is based on my hunches and opinions with not much concrete evidence.

jmlamerson
12-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Ill admit it is a little bit of Madden GM'ing, but I think LJ may realize that no one will resign him to anywhere near his current contract. Realistically, I think if he was cut, then he would get a pretty small contract, where he may get something bigger for a draft pick (in reality we prob could never swing a 2nd rounder for him).

I think Cleveland (jamal lewis is showing his age) or Cinci could use him, but I dont know the teams well enough to know if they would be willing to give anything for him.

In the end it will come down to whether they feel they can get someone in the later rounds of the draft to replace him. I still honestly believe that if he gets decent blocking for a whole year, then he can still be a 1000-1500 yard runner in a traditional offense.

But all this is based on my hunches and opinions with not much concrete evidence.

You're absolutely right that he could be a decent RB with a real OL. It's just that I don't see him cutting millions off of his salary just to get traded. It makes more sense for him to just get cut and size a mid-size deal elsewhere or to keep playing at his current salary for the Chiefs.

While LJ could be great for a whole bunch of teams, Bengals and Browns included, and there may be a minor bidding war if he gets released between them, Denver, Seattle, etc., I don't think they'll trade for him.

The only team I could see trading for LJ is the Pats, given their history with trading for troubled RBs (Corey Dillon) and their need for a RB. But I think, at most, the Pats give up a 5th rounder for him.

I guess my point is that we can't expect to help build the Chiefs by trading LJ for picks. He is more of a liability than an asset to us right now.

jap1
12-16-2008, 11:37 AM
I guess my point is that we can't expect to help build the Chiefs by trading LJ for picks. He is more of a liability than an asset to us right now.

Yeah, I am starting to think you are right that we are not going to get any value for trading him.

I still think we shouldn't cut him unless he gets suspended for more than two games. Anything more than that and I think we can find a bruiser in the later rounds of the draft, and/or free agency.

hardcorechiefsfan
12-16-2008, 11:39 AM
He'll be hard to trade, who wants to deal with the drama queen? Unless he did the drama thing on purpose so that he could be traded from the loser chiefs.

LJ isn't doing it for us. He may open up and start eating up the yards if he was playing for some other team.

...LJ is a good player to have when you're winning and a bad one to have when you're losing. ...This says it perfectly. LJ has no honor, he isn't going to play hard like Tony G. said that HE would do even though this will be his last season here.
BTW, did Tony change his mind about leaving?

Yeah...I agree with being able to fill the running back position easily. Your starting to see rookie running backs come into the league and produce right away. We are seeing it this year in guys like Matt Forte and Steve Slaton. We all know what happens when a running back hits the age of 30...they slowly start producing the high end production numbers that they are used to. LT is a great example of that this year... It will be interesting to see which direction the chiefs go regarding their running backs for next season.
I wish that Priest Holmes hadn't of retired. It would be good for the young kids to see him do his stuff.

I think he will be back next season, not saying that is good or bad, just saying he will be back next season. I just do not know if any team will trade for him and to cut him loose, to sign with anyone, with the money already invest in him, no, do not see that happening.
...then we better be prepared for him to do his inch by inch thing if the chiefs do poorly like this season.

jmlamerson
12-16-2008, 11:58 AM
LJ has no honor, he isn't going to play hard like Tony G. said that HE would do even though this will be his last season here.
BTW, did Tony change his mind about leaving?

I think if Herm goes, Tony will stay. I have to believe that CPs bungling of the JA negotiations, Tony's wanting out, Waters threats of retirement, and the the LJ problems were instrumental in geeting CP gone.

I think Clark has watched us blow too many leads this year with bad halftime adjustments and bad clock management to keep Herm.

I think if Herm goes, Tony G. and Waters stay active for the Chiefs for another year or two, and I think Clark wants to hold onto his last few Pro Bowlers.

hardcorechiefsfan
12-16-2008, 12:23 PM
I think if Herm goes, Tony will stay. I have to believe that CPs bungling of the JA negotiations, Tony's wanting out, Waters threats of retirement, and the the LJ problems were instrumental in geeting CP gone.

I think Clark has watched us blow too many leads this year with bad halftime adjustments and bad clock management to keep Herm.

I think if Herm goes, Tony G. and Waters stay active for the Chiefs for another year or two, and I think Clark wants to hold onto his last few Pro Bowlers.
I still believe that Tony deserves a chance at the SB but if we have him next season we do have a chance of being in the playoffs, especially with Pollard, Leggit, Thiggie, and whoever else I might have forgot that have been showing their stuff lately.
I want to see Herm gone but I want the players to start showing some initiative and want to WIN! After all, NFL football is all about winning. Its not like high school, where the kids are told "Its not whether you win or lose, its all about fun. Although I would want the players to enjoy playing, they are getting paid to play a winning game, not to just have fun regardless of win or loss.

leaves
12-16-2008, 12:31 PM
LJ would never renegotiate his contract. In all likelihood, he's gonna be a chief next season. I do, however, think his biggest problem is with Herm's coaching. LJ doesnt wanna be the gutbusting back that Herm threw him into, so I think if Herm taps the boot, LJ'll keep quieter for the rest of his contract.

jmlamerson
12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
I still believe that Tony deserves a chance at the SB but if we have him next season we do have a chance of being in the playoffs, especially with Pollard, Leggit, Thiggie, and whoever else I might have forgot that have been showing their stuff lately.
I want to see Herm gone but I want the players to start showing some initiative and want to WIN! After all, NFL football is all about winning. Its not like high school, where the kids are told "Its not whether you win or lose, its all about fun. Although I would want the players to enjoy playing, they are getting paid to play a winning game, not to just have fun regardless of win or loss.

I really believe that if we had a coach who understood clock management and halftime adjustments, our team would be 7-7 right now. I think Herm Edwards has cost us, single-handedly, five games - the Bucs (makes me mad just to think about this game), Jets, Chargers (twice), and Broncos with bad halftime adjustments and bad clock management.

With the exceptions of DJ and LJ, I think I think the players we have out there are vastly overachieving given their talent level. I'm proud of these guys and Gailey for even winning two games this year. I think they want to win badly, but have an idiot as a HC who keeps costing them games.

jmlamerson
12-16-2008, 12:39 PM
LJ would never renegotiate his contract. In all likelihood, he's gonna be a chief next season. I do, however, think his biggest problem is with Herm's coaching. LJ doesnt wanna be the gutbusting back that Herm threw him into, so I think if Herm taps the boot, LJ'll keep quieter for the rest of his contract.

I think that if we hire a new GM who isn't a CP crony, LJ gets cut. While I feel bad for LJ, in the sense that Herm ran him into the ground, cutting him sends a clear message that the Chiefs are beginning anew. Kind of like the Dolphins with Jason Taylor - maybe it isn't fair, but it needs to be done.

leoness8
12-16-2008, 01:39 PM
jmlamerson said it right...herm has costed the chiefs games this season, im not sure how many you can put on a coach but hes definately been part of the reason for some of the games. I think the Chiefs need to bring in a coach that is more disciplined to his players rather than have a coach like herm or dick who are player coaches. As for Larry...i really dont know what i would do with him. But I'm affraid that if he isnt a chief next year, he will want to prove to the chiefs and the league that he still can be a top 10 back.

hardcorechiefsfan
12-16-2008, 01:46 PM
I think that Clark should just swallow the money lost on LJ by getting rid of him.

...I think they want to win badly, but have an idiot as a HC who keeps costing them games.
I don't think that they want to win bad enough or they wouldn't quit playing after the halftime.

I think that if we hire a new GM who isn't a CP crony, LJ gets cut. While I feel bad for LJ, in the sense that Herm ran him into the ground, cutting him sends a clear message that the Chiefs are beginning anew. Kind of like the Dolphins with Jason Taylor - maybe it isn't fair, but it needs to be done.
You are right, LJ needs to be cut, and loss of money swallowed.

hardcorechiefsfan
12-16-2008, 01:53 PM
jmlamerson said it right...herm has costed the chiefs games this season, im not sure how many you can put on a coach but hes definately been part of the reason for some of the games. I think the Chiefs need to bring in a coach that is more disciplined to his players rather than have a coach like herm or dick who are player coaches. As for Larry...i really dont know what i would do with him. But I'm affraid that if he isnt a chief next year, he will want to prove to the chiefs and the league that he still can be a top 10 back.
LJ has awful work ethics(maybe just for the chiefs) so he has to go. I agree with you that he will want to prove himself to be still one of the best RB's if he is traded. If so, the chiefs need to have a strong defense that can stop him in his tracks.

theaxeeffect4311
12-17-2008, 03:55 AM
You're absolutely right that he could be a decent RB with a real OL. It's just that I don't see him cutting millions off of his salary just to get traded. It makes more sense for him to just get cut and size a mid-size deal elsewhere or to keep playing at his current salary for the Chiefs.

While LJ could be great for a whole bunch of teams, Bengals and Browns included, and there may be a minor bidding war if he gets released between them, Denver, Seattle, etc., I don't think they'll trade for him.

The only team I could see trading for LJ is the Pats, given their history with trading for troubled RBs (Corey Dillon) and their need for a RB. But I think, at most, the Pats give up a 5th rounder for him.

I doubt that the Patriots will want him. The Patriots only had problems at running back this season because of injury. But I do believe LJ is the kind of player who would take a pay cut, just so he can be traded. I'm not saying he would take a huge cut, but one that would make teams not flinch when they saw his price. If we can get a 2nd round, that is perfect. I do not care if it is the Broncos, we'll take it. I think the Chiefs would have fun beating up on LJ for the next 2 years. But realistically, the Chiefs should not go lower than a 3rd round. If we can't get a 3rd round, keep him. He's not done just yet. And with a new GM and coach, someone may finally put him in his place.

jmlamerson
12-17-2008, 11:47 AM
I doubt that the Patriots will want him. The Patriots only had problems at running back this season because of injury. But I do believe LJ is the kind of player who would take a pay cut, just so he can be traded. I'm not saying he would take a huge cut, but one that would make teams not flinch when they saw his price. If we can get a 2nd round, that is perfect. I do not care if it is the Broncos, we'll take it. I think the Chiefs would have fun beating up on LJ for the next 2 years. But realistically, the Chiefs should not go lower than a 3rd round. If we can't get a 3rd round, keep him. He's not done just yet. And with a new GM and coach, someone may finally put him in his place.

The Chiefs aren't getting a 3rd or higher for LJ. No one - NO ONE - is going to give a high pick for a 30-year-old RB with a history of injuries. We have to stop pretending we're getting anything of real value for him.

The Pats are going to ditch Maroney this offseason. They'll need a big, every down back to replace him. Just as with Corey Dillon, the Pats may take a low risk flyer on LJ.

ChiefsWillWinTheSuperBowl
12-18-2008, 11:04 AM
they should have got rid of him when they had the chance....

tornadospotter
12-18-2008, 11:11 AM
I will say again, I would be very suprised if LJ is not a Chief next season.
(not saying if that is good or bad, just saying.)

Drunker Hillbilly
12-18-2008, 11:48 AM
They are not going to get rid of him and even if they did, he would be the one beating up on our D line and LB's!!! Have you seen them play???

theaxeeffect4311
12-19-2008, 06:36 AM
They are not going to get rid of him and even if they did, he would be the one beating up on our D line and LB's!!! Have you seen them play???

Have you seen LJ play?

Drunker Hillbilly
12-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Have you seen LJ play?
Uhhh yea I have and I'll take him in a bet EVERYDAY of the week against our D line!!!!!!

Three7s
12-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Uhhh yea I have and I'll take him in a bet EVERYDAY of the week against our D line!!!!!!
LJ would roast our D-line. As long as LJ gets past the LBs, he's a beast. The only thing he really lacks is break-away speed. Against our D-line, he'd be getting 10-15 yard gains, consistently.

theaxeeffect4311
12-19-2008, 07:52 PM

You do that. I see our defense improving in the offseason, while Larry Johnson just gets older.

Drunker Hillbilly
12-20-2008, 01:12 AM
You do that. I see our defense improving in the offseason, while Larry Johnson just gets older.
Whatever bud! :sign0104:

Drunker Hillbilly
12-20-2008, 01:12 AM
LJ would roast our D-line. As long as LJ gets past the LBs, he's a beast. The only thing he really lacks is break-away speed. Against our D-line, he'd be getting 10-15 yard gains, consistently.
Exactly my point!!!:bananen_smilies046:

okikcfan
12-20-2008, 01:25 AM
I think they will cut or trade him for the cap money..:bananen_smilies046:

Big Daddy Tek
12-20-2008, 01:55 AM
Have you seen LJ play?

Was that a shot on LJ? So, who do you know that could have done more this year with the line that we have. How about the fact that he's had less than 19 carries in 5 out of the last 6 games. 3 of those, he had less than 7. He also missed 3 games because of his suspension (his fault.) With all of that, he's still 252 yards away from 1,000 yards, with two games left. LJ is great whenever he has room. Not sometimes when he has room. ALWAYS when he has room. Being tackled behind the line of scrimmage, like him, Kolby, and Jamal always do, obviously doesn't help. Bottom line: Knock on Larry about being a dumba$$ all you want, but dont knock his ability. If we trade him to a team that can run the ball, he will be pissed off and unstoppable.

Big Daddy Tek
12-20-2008, 02:00 AM
I think they will cut or trade him for the cap money..:bananen_smilies046:

That would actually hurt their cap more than it would help it this year, by a huge amount. The cap is actually one of the reasons why they probably wont be able to get rid of him.

chief31
12-20-2008, 02:05 AM
Was that a shot on LJ? So, who do you know that could have done more this year with the line that we have. How about the fact that he's had less than 19 carries in 5 out of the last 6 games. 3 of those, he had less than 7. He also missed 3 games because of his suspension (his fault.) With all of that, he's still 252 yards away from 1,000 yards, with two games left. LJ is great whenever he has room. Not sometimes when he has room. ALWAYS when he has room. Being tackled behind the line of scrimmage, like him, Kolby, and Jamal always do, obviously doesn't help. Bottom line: Knock on Larry about being a dumba$$ all you want, but dont knock his ability. If we trade him to a team that can run the ball, he will be pissed off and unstoppable.

Seriously, when you are ineffective, you don't get the ball alot.

I don't think that he is all that great of a HB anyway. If you have a great O-line, he can get some rushing yards. Beyond that, he is far from anything special.

theaxeeffect4311
12-20-2008, 02:48 AM

I'll take my chances.

jtandcrew
12-20-2008, 04:50 AM
I dont see him going anywhere. The Chiefs tied their hands the minute they signed him to the contract. Is he a good back? I think so. Is he a potential problem? Definately. He is 1 more arrest to a possible year suspension. That is 1 reason we didnt try to keep Allen. The Chiefs took a chance that LJ would get his act together and be a asset to the team. Now we have to live with that. We can only hope that we can repair our line and hope that he will keep the straight and narrow.

Drunker Hillbilly
12-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Seriously, when you are ineffective, you don't get the ball alot.

I don't think that he is all that great of a HB anyway. If you have a great O-line, he can get some rushing yards. Beyond that, he is far from anything special.
I really would have liked to have been a fly on the wall in your life when LJ dominated when Priest went out and then the following year when he dominated the league!!:D

okikcfan
12-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Larry has been a good back for the team, what he has done in the past and with a good O-Line what he could do in the future But, He has also been a slap in the face to the Chiefs Family with his off field troubles with women. This in itself could make or break his contract with the Chiefs as well as the cap money.......Time will only tell for sure.

theaxeeffect4311
12-20-2008, 02:24 PM
I really would have liked to have been a fly on the wall in your life when LJ dominated when Priest went out and then the following year when he dominated the league!!:D

So then what happened to him?

Three7s
12-20-2008, 03:46 PM
We got a bad O-line? Where have you been the last two years?

Drunker Hillbilly
12-20-2008, 06:15 PM
The same thing that happens to ALL backs!!! When the O line sucks, the back sufferes!! Sanders couldn't run behind this line!!!!

leoness8
12-20-2008, 08:22 PM
I kind of see Larry cleaning up his act and I hope he does, it would save the Chiefs to spend a draft pick on a RB and it would also save the hassel of looking for an everydown back through free agents and like you guys have said, we probably wont get much value out of him right now anyway...I mean he knows what hes up against if he doesnt and that is possibly a year suspension. If you look at WR Chris Henry right now...all the troubles hes been through with the league and now he actually looks like a guy that has finally learned whats right and whats wrong. If Chris Henry can turn it around...why cant Larry Johnson. If the Chiefs get a decent O-line in front of him and with the impressive stats that Thigpen is putting up lately...it should help Larry's performance overall...

Big Daddy Tek
12-20-2008, 08:34 PM
BOTTOMLINE: If the Chiefs have good run blocking and playcalling, LJ will again be one of the top 3 backs in the league. The Chiefs need to draft the best tackle available (best year EVER to do that!) and then sign a veteran RG like Stacy Andrews from Cinci or Jahri Evans from New Orleans. If we can do that, LJ will dominate. You all will love LJ again. Until he has one bad game, then you'll talk sh!t about him like Chiefs fans do to all of their favorite players.

hardcorechiefsfan
12-20-2008, 08:47 PM
He is having low yardage because he wants to be traded to a better team. I'm thinking that we should keep him on because next season has to be better.

Did I say that????

theaxeeffect4311
12-21-2008, 01:40 AM
BOTTOMLINE: If the Chiefs have good run blocking and playcalling, LJ will again be one of the top 3 backs in the league. The Chiefs need to draft the best tackle available (best year EVER to do that!) and then sign a veteran RG like Stacy Andrews from Cinci or Jahri Evans from New Orleans. If we can do that, LJ will dominate. You all will love LJ again. Until he has one bad game, then you'll talk sh!t about him like Chiefs fans do to all of their favorite players.

I thought he was a bad choice when the Chiefs drafted him, so my love for LJ never happened. I don't care that he has had some good seasons. Has he led us to a Superbowl? No. Has he improved the team? No. You guys talk about how LJ is having bad years because he has a bad line. Anyone could have ran great behind that line we had with Roaf, Waters, Wiegamann, and Shields. Priest Holmes made a career in KC, but he always gave credit to the O-line. Even Derrick Blaylock made big plays as a backup to Priest Holmes.

Chief Tyler
12-21-2008, 01:45 AM
I thought he was a bad choice when the Chiefs drafted him, so my love for LJ never happened. I don't care that he has had some good seasons. Has he led us to a Superbowl? No. Has he improved the team? No. You guys talk about how LJ is having bad years because he has a bad line. Anyone could have ran great behind that line we had with Roaf, Waters, Wiegamann, and Shields. Priest Holmes made a career in KC, but he always gave credit to the O-line. Even Derrick Blaylock made big plays as a backup to Priest Holmes.

I'm in the same boat. I never really felt that he was the superstar that the league made him out to be. He isn't the fastest, quickest or strongest. He's always seems to get tripped up over himself or even the slightest touch from a defender when picking up your feet woudl do the trick. I still think he's pretty solid all around, just not something we need. For this organization he's an overpaid cancer.

Three7s
12-21-2008, 08:48 AM
You can ignore the fact that he got us to the playoffs literally alone in 06 behind a line that didn't have Roaf. I don't mind

leoness8
12-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Very true...Priest Holmes continually gave tons of credit to his o-line as well as Tony Rich...which is something Larry never did from my knowledge. I also agree with how he always seems to trips over his own feet or a slight touch my his own teamate bringing him down. But you cant take away his power house ability down in the red zone. Next to Steven Jackson, Marion Barber...Larry is right their with them in that regard.

jap1
12-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Very true...Priest Holmes continually gave tons of credit to his o-line as well as Tony Rich...which is something Larry never did from my knowledge. I also agree with how he always seems to trips over his own feet or a slight touch my his own teamate bringing him down. But you cant take away his power house ability down in the red zone. Next to Steven Jackson, Marion Barber...Larry is right their with them in that regard.

Actually Tony Rich was one of LJ's best friends on the team when he was still here.

theaxeeffect4311
12-21-2008, 10:53 PM
You can ignore the fact that he got us to the playoffs literally alone in 06 behind a line that didn't have Roaf. I don't mind

I'm sorry, I totally forgot. Let's look at his stats for his 2006 playoff appearance.

13 carries for 32 yards. 2.5 yards per attempt. Longest rush: 6 yards.

5 catches for 29 yards. Longest reception: 13 yards.

Yes, he definitely carried that playoff team well. I can understand why the Chiefs lost that game to the Colts because LJ couldn't run the ball against the Colts' 32nd ranked rushing defense. That's good, right?

leoness8
12-22-2008, 11:14 AM
oh...I was unaware of that. But really...Tony Rich is probably one of the most liked players around the NFL. This guy deserves so much respect. He clearly makes a running back amazing. He did it for Priest, than Larry, as well as Chester Taylor and Adrian Peterson and is now doing it for Thomas Jones. Tony Rich is a stud.

Three7s
12-22-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry, I totally forgot. Let's look at his stats for his 2006 playoff appearance.

13 carries for 32 yards. 2.5 yards per attempt. Longest rush: 6 yards.

5 catches for 29 yards. Longest reception: 13 yards.

Yes, he definitely carried that playoff team well. I can understand why the Chiefs lost that game to the Colts because LJ couldn't run the ball against the Colts' 32nd ranked rushing defense. That's good, right?
Taking my point out of context? That's real cute, how about reading what I actually posted? Our defense was average at best in 06, and our passing game was nothing to brag about. The O-line was maybe slightly above average, but you just ignore that. It's all about how he did against a completely energized and recharged Colts defense in the playoffs. How did the Ravens do against the Colts defense? Don't give me that bull.

There was no strong points about that Chiefs team in the 06 team, but the running game. There were a couple of games where LJ won them by himself.

theaxeeffect4311
12-23-2008, 04:16 AM
Taking my point out of context? That's real cute, how about reading what I actually posted? Our defense was average at best in 06, and our passing game was nothing to brag about. The O-line was maybe slightly above average, but you just ignore that. It's all about how he did against a completely energized and recharged Colts defense in the playoffs. How did the Ravens do against the Colts defense? Don't give me that bull.

There was no strong points about that Chiefs team in the 06 team, but the running game. There were a couple of games where LJ won them by himself.

Yeah, I'm toying with you. But I do not see why you are defending LJ. Because even without Roaf, A line of Waters, Wiegamann, and Shields would be enough. It's true that the Chiefs ran him into the ground that season. LJ is a pounder. He will be 30 years old next season. I'm not saying that he has lost anything, but you have to wonder whether he can be as productive as he once was. Does the team benefit with him there? Would it be better if we traded him off before he is worth nothing?

Three7s
12-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I'm toying with you. But I do not see why you are defending LJ. Because even without Roaf, A line of Waters, Wiegamann, and Shields would be enough. It's true that the Chiefs ran him into the ground that season. LJ is a pounder. He will be 30 years old next season. I'm not saying that he has lost anything, but you have to wonder whether he can be as productive as he once was. Does the team benefit with him there? Would it be better if we traded him off before he is worth nothing?
I would love to trade him, I think he's still got maybe 2-3 years left in the tank, and with a good O-line, could still put together some 1500 yard seasons. Shoot, he's got near 1000 yards for us, this season, hardly even playing! I'd be all for trading him for a 2nd rounder or something.

lansdale01
12-23-2008, 02:53 PM
My thoughts are that LJ could be good once again, but we have to do something with the O-line. Honestly, it doesnt matter who you have in the backfield as long as the o-line can keep the defenders where they are suppose to be. It opens up the passing game and will let anyone run. All in all, Im still up in the air on LJ. Give him a chance unless he cant get a grip on his conduct.

theaxeeffect4311
12-24-2008, 03:50 AM
I would love to trade him, I think he's still got maybe 2-3 years left in the tank, and with a good O-line, could still put together some 1500 yard seasons. Shoot, he's got near 1000 yards for us, this season, hardly even playing! I'd be all for trading him for a 2nd rounder or something.

Agreed. The way I see it is if we go with Thigpen next season with the spread (which goes up in the air if we get a new coach), then LJ may be better served if we just get rid of him. I know he has a few more seasons to be productive, but that is the only reason he still has worth. I know some team will see that the Chiefs' bad O-line is the reason he has not done as well and the closer he gets to 1000 yards, the more a team will be willing to trade for him. For the Chiefs though, he is known as being a bad pass blocker and in the spread, running backs need to block. The Chiefs can better run the spread with Charles and Smith. LJ has shown some progress this season with his pass blocking, but at the age he is, I would get my money's worth before he loses more value.