PDA

View Full Version : ...Possible Candidates for new GM?

jerhart
12-15-2008, 06:17 PM
...now that Carl has finally been let go! :yahoo:

...who all is being mentioned to replace him? I would like the chin, but espn was speaking of someone from the Jets which would be good for Herm sake. But I know nothing of him? Anyone hear anything about possible candidates?

nigeriannightmare
12-15-2008, 07:23 PM

...who all is being mentioned to replace him? I would like the chin, but espn was speaking of someone from the Jets which would be good for Herm sake. But I know nothing of him? Anyone hear anything about possible candidates?

Dude if they bring someone from the Jets I am gonna hit somebody, unless of course he helped run Herm out of town.

jb908
12-15-2008, 07:43 PM
i would like marty as gm and bill as the coach, but i think bill wants both jobs and im okay with that... GET HERM OUT.

tornadospotter
12-15-2008, 08:05 PM

I have not been watching the news, but I hope you are wrong. Not about cp of course.

Coach
12-15-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure who would be a good candidate for the new GM. But if we had to give that job to Cowher in order to get him as coach, I think I would be OK with that.

tammietailgator
12-15-2008, 10:02 PM
This is my dream scenario...

Head Coach - Cowher
GM - Marty

Keep Chan Gailey
Get rid of dick curl! He has been in and out of the NFL and he is a seasoned, but he needs to retire now. :11:

Plus I don't like his name:D

Drunker Hillbilly
12-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Chris Morten was reporting that it could be someone within the organization. Someone's name that wasn't familiar to me. At any rate, he said if this particular person was to get the job, Herm would probably be safe. I may recognize the name if I heard it again.

josh1971
12-15-2008, 10:07 PM
I just want someone who wants to win, and will work smartly to put together the pieces to do that. I don't mind a rebuilding phase or a youth movement, but these two (Carl and Herm) have done an abysmal job at it.

jb

jerhart
12-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Chris Morten was reporting that it could be someone within the organization. Someone's name that wasn't familiar to me. At any rate, he said if this particular person was to get the job, Herm would probably be safe. I may recognize the name if I heard it again.

Sounds like I heard the same thing as you, except I heard Mort say they probably WONT hire within, and the guy Mort spoke of was from the Jets, and that Herms job may be safe with his history with the Jets....and the guys name was not familiar.

josh1971
12-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Ugh- nothing more from the Jets! We have enough players herm brought over, and Herm himself. That ought to be enough crappy things from NY to turn the Chiefs away from that idea.

Coach
12-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Sounds like I heard the same thing as you, except I heard Mort say they probably WONT hire within, and the guy Mort spoke of was from the Jets, and that Herms job may be safe with his history with the Jets....and the guys name was not familiar.
What is it with the Jets and our franchise? The Jets are 1 step ahead of the Lions and Bengals over the last 20 years. I really hope we don't touch anyone from that franchise.

PawnshopMarimba
12-15-2008, 10:35 PM
What is it with the Jets and our franchise? The Jets are 1 step ahead of the Lions and Bengals over the last 20 years. I really hope we don't touch anyone from that franchise.

Seconded.
Seems like we've been fairly close with the Jets since we sent Paul Hackett over there.

Chiefster
12-15-2008, 10:36 PM

Yup, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know they don't have the best track record for administrative personnel.

leaves
12-15-2008, 11:09 PM
we do have far too many connections with the jets. As far as Herm goes, not sure. Clark made it sound pretty clear that he wanted some "new eyes" on not only the managing, but coaching.

texaschief
12-15-2008, 11:37 PM
While I'm happy to see Carl relieve himself from the General Manager duties, I'm kind of upset to see him leave the President and CEO portion. He did an incredible job over the last 20 years putting butts in the seats with the exception of this year. He's a great business executive and I wish they could've kept him on in some aspect.

I agree with this move by Clark. There are WAY too many decisions to be made this winter for a lame duck GM to make. The decisions that will be made this winter will determine what direction the Chiefs will head for maybe the next decade or longer. There's no way Carl should be making those decisions. I said that last night. I'm so happy to see this development.

If Clark has bought into the plan that was laid last winter, look for the Chiefs to stay on the same path. He'll hire a guy who at least agrees with the plan and will stick to it. If he doesn't like the plan, look for Edwards, Cunningham and everyone but perhaps Gailey to be gone December 29th and the Chiefs payroll to skyrocket as Clark goes Al Davis on us.

I have a feeling that we're gonna see a coach come back to Kansas City. Take that for what it's worth. I honestly don't see a scenario that keeps Herman Edwards with the Chiefs going into the 2009 season.

Pro_Angler
12-15-2008, 11:42 PM
i dont think that Chin would come here.. he'll end up at Browns

texaschief
12-15-2008, 11:55 PM
i dont think that Chin would come here.. he'll end up at Browns

I have a REALLY hard time believing he'd retire from that job in Pittsburgh just to come back three years later to coach against his team in the same division. I just don't see that happening at all. I do think he'll come back and coach, I just don't think he's going to come back to that division.

tammietailgator
12-15-2008, 11:59 PM
I agree with almost everything here... but I do not think that Clark will go Al davis on us... He has brains... he waited till the right time to do this in the wake of his dads passing. A lot of us wished it sooner, but we cannot put ourselves in his shoes.

texaschief
12-16-2008, 12:06 AM
After reading Clark's statements about the situation and his comments about Herm, I feel a little more confident in his decision making. That's all I'm really going to say.

hardcorechiefsfan
12-16-2008, 12:42 AM
i would like marty as gm and bill as the coach, but i think bill wants both jobs and im okay with that... GET HERM OUT.
I'd like to see this as a brand new era of chiefs football.

KottkeKU
12-16-2008, 02:16 AM
First thing we need to do is clean out Herm and GUNTER CUNNINGHAM. Thanks for NOTHING Gun. DJ should be a monster by now. And Krumrie too....All our DE's should be better this season, and a nfl record low 6 sacks.....impressive. Thanks for developing Siavii, Eddie Freeman (exactly), and Ryan Sims into the DT's they were supposed to be...we need to surround our TALENTED players with some real COACHES....

High officials from Indy and NE would be my first choice. NYG definitely know how to build a team through the draft as well. Any three would be an equal, immediate upgrade i think.

I think Pullian would be the best choice...just dont know if he would be interested in KC

If you cant get anyone from those organizations, or Marty or Cowher in some position, i will be dissapointed.

theaxeeffect4311
12-16-2008, 03:44 AM
I'm not saying this is a real possibility, but Marty did say that he regretted leaving the Chiefs. Even though Marty was brought in under Carl, I think Marty has more ties to the Hunt family.

I would not mind him or Cowher, even though both of them may want to be coach and GM. I say give it to them. All I want is for the Chiefs to play with toughness once again. Make other teams fear our defense.

jerhart
12-16-2008, 09:26 AM

Terry Bradway is his name? Dont know him...here is the link tho to Morts clip. I want Pioli from NE.

gcsofa
12-16-2008, 11:56 AM
My ranking in order of preference for the candidates of the GM position is:

1) Scott Pioli, Currently: NE V.P. of Player Personnel
2) Nick Caserio, Currently: NE Director of Player Personnel
3) Chris Polian, Currently: IND V.P. of Football Operations
4) Tom Telesco, Currently: IND Director of Player Personnel
5) Kevin Colbert, Currently: PIT Director of Football Operations
6) Pat Moriarty, Currently: BALT V.P. of Football Administration
7) George Kokinis, Currently: BALT Director of Pro Personnel
8) Doug Whaley, Currently: PIT Pro Personnel Coordinator
9) Kevin Abrams, Currently: NYG Assistant General Manager
10) Vincent Marino, Currently: TEN Sr. Director of Football Administration

jmlamerson
12-16-2008, 12:09 PM

Those are some terrific choices. The names I recognize are all young and are pretty vital to successful teams. I like Nick Caserio the best of the ones you reference. He's only 33, he's one of the smartest guys in the league, and maybe he can bring Josh McDaniels (Pats OC) with him to be our head coach next year.

Drunker Hillbilly
12-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I guess I heard him talking about Thum as interim.

hardcorechiefsfan
12-16-2008, 02:06 PM
... All I want is for the Chiefs to play with toughness once again. Make other teams fear our defense.
Amen.

texaschief
12-16-2008, 02:17 PM

Any talent evaluator from NE or Baltimore would be fine with me. Not so much from NYG or Ten.

gcsofa
12-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Those are some terrific choices. The names I recognize are all young and are pretty vital to successful teams. I like Nick Caserio the best of the ones you reference. He's only 33, he's one of the smartest guys in the league, and maybe he can bring Josh McDaniels (Pats OC) with him to be our head coach next year.

The Nick Caserio & Josh McDaniels connection is exactly my thought too!

texaschief
12-16-2008, 02:46 PM
The Nick Caserio & Josh McDaniels connection is exactly my thought too!

So... if that happens, does that mean we're going back to a traditional pro style offense and signing Matt Cassel as the QBOTF? Who's going to be our "Randy Moss?"

jmlamerson
12-16-2008, 03:06 PM
So... if that happens, does that mean we're going back to a traditional pro style offense and signing Matt Cassel as the QBOTF? Who's going to be our "Randy Moss?"

The Pats don't exactly run a traditional pro offense. They run a modified version of the spread. And we need a Wes Welker (surehanded, tough reciever) for that offense a whole lot more than a Randy Moss. Bowe and Bradley haven't been bad at all this year (although Bowe's a bit butterfingered), but we probably could use a 1WR and move Bowe to 2WR. Whether that's Houshmanzadah or your boy Crabtree, I don't know.

I like Thigpen. I really do. I'd be happy with him leading our team next year. But If we can bring in Cassel, McDaniels and Caserio as the QB, HC, and GM of our team, we do it. I trust those guys to fix our team by getting some real OL and DL personnel, signing some decent FAs, and drafting some good players.

texaschief
12-16-2008, 04:42 PM
The Pats don't exactly run a traditional pro offense. They run a modified version of the spread. And we need a Wes Welker (surehanded, tough reciever) for that offense a whole lot more than a Randy Moss. Bowe and Bradley haven't been bad at all this year (although Bowe's a bit butterfingered), but we probably could use a 1WR and move Bowe to 2WR. Whether that's Houshmanzadah or your boy Crabtree, I don't know.

I like Thigpen. I really do. I'd be happy with him leading our team next year. But If we can bring in Cassel, McDaniels and Caserio as the QB, HC, and GM of our team, we do it. I trust those guys to fix our team by getting some real OL and DL personnel, signing some decent FAs, and drafting some good players.

I hate to break it to ya, but the biggest reason the Kansas City job is so attractive is because that's exactly what the Chiefs have done this past year. They've establish a good young foundation of players and have a truck load of money to spend. Anyone who comes in to be the new GM is going to agree with the path the Chiefs are already on. Hunt has bought into the plan and the new GM is going to have to agree with that plan as well.

“If you look at the league, the franchises that struggle to be winners on a consistent basis … are ones that are reactionary and ones that pursue a certain direction for two or three years, and because they haven’t had the success they’d like, they change and go in a different direction,” Hunt said. “I don’t think that lack of continuity helps you win.” -Clark Hunt

The plan isn't going to change. No matter who comes in. The only thing i see that will be different from last year's off season is that the Chiefs will probably dive a little deeper into the free agency pool.

jmlamerson
12-16-2008, 04:54 PM
I hate to break it to ya, but the biggest reason the Kansas City job is so attractive is because that's exactly what the Chiefs have done this past year. They've establish a good young foundation of players and have a truck load of money to spend. Anyone who comes in to be the new GM is going to agree with the path the Chiefs are already on. Hunt has bought into the plan and the new GM is going to have to agree with that plan as well.

“If you look at the league, the franchises that struggle to be winners on a consistent basis … are ones that are reactionary and ones that pursue a certain direction for two or three years, and because they haven’t had the success they’d like, they change and go in a different direction,” Hunt said. “I don’t think that lack of continuity helps you win.” -Clark Hunt

The plan isn't going to change. No matter who comes in. The only thing i see that will be different from last year's off season is that the Chiefs will probably dive a little deeper into the free agency pool.

The reason the KC GM job is so attractive as a job is that we have gobs and gobs of cap room to play with and no bad contracts except LJ - not because our 2-12 team is so talented. If you think any decent GM will use our $65M under the cap just to sign rookies and extend our current players, you're mad. A decent GM will spend that money on the best young FAs that money can buy.

The writer (Teicher) who quoted Clark Hunt there was saying that Pioli would be asked to continue the Chiefs "youth movement" and that he's probably Hunt's target. Scott Pioli will not be coming to KC to follow Herm Edwards's youth movement. We are not going to get any decent GM candidate who wants to continue on the path we are on. Clark Hunt is in for a rude awakening if he thinks any GM will want the job on those terms.

Any GM with any sense will begin rebuilding this team from its current rubble. To continue to focus on rookies and undrafted FAs is not rebuilding.

ChiefsWillWinTheSuperBowl
12-16-2008, 05:28 PM
just wait for parcells to be done with miami.

nigeriannightmare
12-16-2008, 07:56 PM
The reason the KC GM job is so attractive as a job is that we have gobs and gobs of cap room to play with and no bad contracts except LJ - not because our 2-12 team is so talented. If you think any decent GM will use our $65M under the cap just to sign rookies and extend our current players, you're mad. A decent GM will spend that money on the best young FAs that money can buy.

The writer (Teicher) who quoted Clark Hunt there was saying that Pioli would be asked to continue the Chiefs "youth movement" and that he's probably Hunt's target. Scott Pioli will not be coming to KC to follow Herm Edwards's youth movement. We are not going to get any decent GM candidate who wants to continue on the path we are on. Clark Hunt is in for a rude awakening if he thinks any GM will want the job on those terms.

Any GM with any sense will begin rebuilding this team from its current rubble. To continue to focus on rookies and undrafted FAs is not rebuilding.

Not to mention the good candidates are going to have to get one hell of deal. Total personnel conrol and a hefty price tag. Not to dog KC, but it isn't exaxtly a city that warrants media spotlight.

anejfan
12-16-2008, 08:08 PM
First time poster;
I think the Chiefs should not get all excited putting Marty in as GM. He was a good coach but will that transfer into a good General Manager? Chris Polian or Scott Pioli sounds like the type of GM's that the organizations need.

Big Daddy Tek
12-16-2008, 08:55 PM
The article on the home page of this site has a list of possible candidates.

Pro_Angler
12-16-2008, 09:25 PM
chin might be enticed to come to KC with a GM/Head coach position??? That could sweeten the pot for him.

jap1
12-16-2008, 11:06 PM
I read on the KC star's website that Floyd Reese (former Tennessee GM) was interested in the position.

theaxeeffect4311
12-17-2008, 03:15 AM
First time poster;
I think the Chiefs should not get all excited putting Marty in as GM. He was a good coach but will that transfer into a good General Manager? Chris Polian or Scott Pioli sounds like the type of GM's that the organizations need.

I like the sound of either one of those guys. I would put my money on Pioli though because he is more likely to change things up.

jtandcrew
12-17-2008, 09:49 AM
both are great choices if we were able to get them. Marty is in KC atm though. so he is in the running apperently!

wants to win
12-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Mike Holmgren

jtandcrew
12-17-2008, 10:59 AM
that woulb br brst choice after Cowher!:bananen_smilies046: