PDA

View Full Version : will herm be next

slc chief
12-15-2008, 07:54 PM
listening to clarks statemants earlier i dont think herm will be back.if he does he will be lucky. maybe now that herm is on the hotseat he will take fault for some of the dumba## desicions made during the games and quit blaming it all on the players

Three7s
12-15-2008, 07:57 PM
listening to clarks statemants earlier i dont think herm will be back.if he does he will be lucky. maybe now that herm is on the hotseat he will take fault for some of the dumba## desicions made during the games and quit blaming it all on the players
It's all up to the new GM.

SIC J
12-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Hopefully the new GM is someone who doesn't like Herm Edwards and asks that Herm is gone in order for him to take the job.

jap1
12-15-2008, 08:22 PM
The one thing Herm has always had on his side is the players. The players have always thought very highly of him. After CP's "resignation" TG had this to say according to ESPN:

"I would expect there to be other changes as well," the nine-time Pro Bowler told the AP. "When things go this badly, changes are usually made. I think most players would be supportive of Herm."
-http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3771725

Just a little food for thought.

rikenco
12-15-2008, 08:48 PM
The Players loved Paul Wiggin and Frank Ganz too. That doesn't pull much weight with a GM, or translate into wins obviously.

PawnshopMarimba
12-15-2008, 09:04 PM
I would submit that being well liked by your players is far less relevant than being well respected by them.
Why would players like a coach? Maybe because he's easy on them? Maybe because he doesn't tell them things they don't want to hear?

Lombardi, Landry, Ditka. Safe to say they probably weren't the most well liked coaches in the league's history, but they were respected, and more importantly, they brought success to their franchises.
Dick and Herm both tried to be friends with the players, not a leader/authority figure to them... and I'm pretty convinced that that's a philosophy that just doesn't work.

Chiefs 4
12-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Great points and well said. When Lombardi was the Head Coach at Green Bay, he acted as GM (not uncommon back then). He actually negotiated contracts with players, told them when they were cut, etc. Not all of his guys liked him, but to a man, they respected him. Or they were gone fast. I'll never forget Marty Schottenheimer's one year in Washington. They started something like 0-5, but finished strong at 8-8. Some of the complacent Redskins hated the guy, but it was clear that he had the respect of most of them and that team was on the verge of greatness, with freakin' Tony Banks as their QB. The owner, Dan Snyder, had this fetish for Steve Spurrier, and made the worst decision of his tenure as owner by canning Marty. Spurrier did a miserable job in DC. We know that Marty went on to rebuild the Chargers on the fly, dismissed after going 14-2. The Lions ought to hire Schottenheimer to give him one more program to turn around.

PawnshopMarimba
12-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Great points and well said. When Lombardi was the Head Coach at Green Bay, he acted as GM (not uncommon back then). He actually negotiated contracts with players, told them when they were cut, etc. Not all of his guys liked him, but to a man, they respected him. Or they were gone fast. I'll never forget Marty Schottenheimer's one year in Washington. They started something like 0-5, but finished strong at 8-8. Some of the complacent Redskins hated the guy, but it was clear that he had the respect of most of them and that team was on the verge of greatness, with freakin' Tony Banks as their QB. The owner, Dan Snyder, had this fetish for Steve Spurrier, and made the worst decision of his tenure as owner by canning Marty. Spurrier did a miserable job in DC. We know that Marty went on to rebuild the Chargers on the fly, dismissed after going 14-2. The Lions ought to hire Schottenheimer to give him one more program to turn around.

Tom Coughlin's another good example. It was made perfectly clear that a number of the G-Men flat out disliked this man for his strictness as HC... until he brought them a Super Bowl. Now everything's just peachy.

Coach
12-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Does anyone think there is a realistic shot of Marty becoming the GM? Would Marty want that job? I think he still wants to coach.

Chiefster
12-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Let us all hope that Herm is next.

josh1971
12-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Well, NFL analyst Michael Lombardi mentioned that Clark Hunt had said something about a "fresh pair of eyes", in reference to the GM spot, and that certainly those eyes would focus on Herm Edwards.

Lombardi said Herm's done a good job of getting players prepared each week, but that the very same problems keep happening each week to the chiefs, and that's something that's plagued Herm his whole coaching career.

So, Lombardi left it 50/50 whether Herm would be back. Way to take a stand, there, Michael...

JB

PawnshopMarimba
12-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Does anyone think there is a realistic shot of Marty becoming the GM? Would Marty want that job? I think he still wants to coach.

Just hazarding a guess, but I think Marty would be itching to get back into the business somewhere and would have to at least entertain the offer now that Carl's out of the picture entirely

I'm not sure how he'd do at being a GM, but I'd be willing to give him a try.

KCCHEEF
12-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Funny how San Diego punted Marty after he did the same thing he did with the Chiefs and everywhere else for that matter...then went down the tubes like KC, etc.

Not that I'm supersticious, but the curse of Marty-ball needs to happen to someone else...ANYONE else!!

tornadospotter
12-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Just hazarding a guess, but I think Marty would be itching to get back into the business somewhere and would have to at least entertain the offer now that Carl's out of the picture entirely

I'm not sure how he'd do at being a GM, but I'd be willing to give him a try.
Me to, if he is the GM of the team, I may even forgive him for the,,,,,,,,, gasp,, Gannon thing, Maybe it was cp who made the final choice there, do not know! But that was team that could have, and should have been a SB contender!
So back to a possible Marty as a GM, well as a Head Coach, Marty help build the Chief Nation!

hermhater
12-16-2008, 01:05 AM
Herm is loved by everyone in the NFL for some reason.

He'll be here or somewhere else forever.

Preferably somewhere else.

jmlamerson
12-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Herm will DC for a team next year if he (please, God) gets fired. For some reason, people still think he can coach defense.

127markaz
12-16-2008, 10:11 AM
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp135/127markaz/BOARD-1.jpg

Darth CarlSatan
12-16-2008, 10:41 AM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

:funnypost::lol::bananen_smilies046::yahoo:

YouTube - Skid Row~Get The **** Out

tornadospotter
12-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Nice!! But to sweeten the ticket, I think we all would chip in and make it first class. just saying.:D

jap1
12-16-2008, 10:49 AM

Unfortunately, San Diego State already filled their HC position, but we can send him there anyways as a going away present!

jmlamerson
12-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Unfortunately, San Diego State already filled their HC position, but we can send him there anyways as a going away present!

Maybe we're trading him to the Chargers.

jap1
12-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Maybe we're trading him to the Chargers.

Now for that I would personally fly to KC, pack him and his family up, and drive the U-haul to San Diego!!!
:lol:

nigeriannightmare
12-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Herm is loved by everyone in the NFL for some reason.

He'll be here or somewhere else forever.

Preferably somewhere else.

All the broadcasters think he is awesome. He's a players coach that loves the game. The only thing worse than being 2-12 is listening to the announcers comment on how great a coach Herm Edwards is. What games have they been watching?

Darth CarlSatan
12-16-2008, 02:38 PM
All the broadcasters think he is awesome. He's a players coach that loves the game. The only thing worse than being 2-12 is listening to the announcers comment on how great a coach Herm Edwards is. What games have they been watching?

Word.

Chief_kickingtale
12-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Obviously the announcers don't watch the second half. That is when other coaches make ajustments and the chiefs get beat. And we get to look at the sidelines with Herm standing there with the deer in the headlight look b/c he doesn't have a clue.

Darth CarlSatan
12-17-2008, 02:09 PM
That.

Obviously the announcers don't watch the second half. That is when other coaches make ajustments and the chiefs get beat. And we get to look at the sidelines with Herm standing there with the deer in the headlight look b/c he doesn't have a clue.

1st Half = Play to Win.

2nd Half = Play not to Lose, and end up losing.

Herm = ****e on the way out the door very, very soon.

Print it.

section311
12-17-2008, 08:04 PM
If he's still here on New Year's day start mixing the koolaid!

Big Daddy Tek
12-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Sorry everybody, Herm Edwards is not going anywhere until after next season. Thats a guarantee. Mark my words and remember that I said it. His entire tenure as the Chiefs head coach has been looked at as a good card player, playing with horrible hands. The front office will make a decision on the job that he is doing after next year. If the Chiefs were to go out and win 10 games after fitting in some crucial free agents, Then Clark will feel like he had stuck to his guns and made a good decision. I would not be surprised if Herm received a long term contract after this. You guys think Im crazy, but just sit back and watch. Get used to Herm

Darth CarlSatan
12-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Sorry everybody, Herm Edwards is not going anywhere until after next season. Thats a guarantee. Mark my words and remember that I said it. His entire tenure as the Chiefs head coach has been looked at as a good card player, playing with horrible hands. The front office will make a decision on the job that he is doing after next year. If the Chiefs were to go out and win 10 games after fitting in some crucial free agents, Then Clark will feel like he had stuck to his guns and made a good decision. I would not be surprised if Herm received a long term contract after this. You guys think Im crazy, but just sit back and watch. Get used to Herm

And I say, depending upon who Clark taps as the new GM, Herm may get yanked right off the bat.
And if he IS around come River Falls, he better produce quickly because if he doesn't I can absolutely guarantee you he WILL be the next Lane Kiffin.

This move by Clark spells it out Loud and Clear:

Play time is OVER.

Print It!

jmlamerson
12-18-2008, 11:04 AM

OK, your words are marked.

Mark mine, Herm isn't fired yet only because Clark is leaving that to our new GM. Herm will be gone before draft day.

And good riddance.

Darth CarlSatan
12-18-2008, 11:16 AM

Mark mine, Herm isn't fired yet only because Clark is leaving that to our new GM. Herm will be gone before draft day.

And good riddance.

As you may or may not know, the new GM will be exclusively football. There will be a separate President/CEO.

That makes Herm's hot seat even hotter; he better produce.

Big Daddy Tek
12-18-2008, 03:41 PM

And good riddance.

Journal entry- August 23rd, 2054

It was a snowy day in hell today. JMlamerson came by and we agreed on something.

Darth CarlSatan
12-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Journal entry- August 23rd, 2054

It was a snowy day in hell today. JMlamerson came by and we agreed on something.

:lol:

theaxeeffect4311
12-19-2008, 06:34 AM
From what I've heard from Clark Hunt, I think he wants to fire Herm. It looks like he wants to bring in a new GM who agrees with the decision. That way it gives the impression that the decision was not all his.

The Chiefs need a new head coach. Herm does not make the Chiefs a feared team. That is what was nice about the days with Marty. He made the team tough, and teams feared playing our defense. The Chiefs need toughness. So if Marty was to come back, I would gladly welcome him.

By the way, anyone else thing Gunther should be fired?

Darth CarlSatan
12-19-2008, 02:02 PM
From what I've heard from Clark Hunt, I think he wants to fire Herm. It looks like he wants to bring in a new GM who agrees with the decision. That way it gives the impression that the decision was not all his.

The Chiefs need a new head coach. Herm does not make the Chiefs a feared team. That is what was nice about the days with Marty. He made the team tough, and teams feared playing our defense. The Chiefs need toughness. So if Marty was to come back, I would gladly welcome him.

By the way, anyone else thing Gunther should be fired?

I agree with you on Carl and Herm; the tone in Clark's voice while discussing Herm on 810 hints very strongly to his firing.

As for Marty, I respect his work in the 90's, but taking him back as a HC is a two-steps back move when we need to be going forward.
Plus, my Spidy Senses tell me he'll be on his way to Cleveland soon enough.

Chiefs 4
12-19-2008, 07:18 PM
I think Schottenheimer would be a perfect fit for the Lions. Coach them to the playoffs, then become GM and name his successor. The Chiefs need to hire a young Head Coach who could grow into this job and stay here a decade or even 15 years. They need to hire someone who will become like Landry, Chuck Noll, Bud Grant, Cowher---someone who will stay put for the long term. Jeff Fisher is an example of why this philosophy can work.

theaxeeffect4311
12-19-2008, 07:33 PM
I agree with you on Carl and Herm; the tone in Clark's voice while discussing Herm on 810 hints very strongly to his firing.

As for Marty, I respect his work in the 90's, but taking him back as a HC is a two-steps back move when we need to be going forward.
Plus, my Spidy Senses tell me he'll be on his way to Cleveland soon enough.

I don't think Schottenheimer is a bad move. Look at what he has done. In every team he has been with, they become a winning team. He has had a few bad seasons here and there, but overall, once his plan is in place, the team has a winning record. I look at our division and think that the Chiefs could easily go to the top with just better coaching. Schottenheimer would bring toughness back to the KC defense and make Larry Johnson worth every dollar they pay him.

jap1
12-20-2008, 12:35 PM
ESPN has an interesting take on the situation. Enjoy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3783492

PawnshopMarimba
12-21-2008, 03:19 AM
I don't think Schottenheimer is a bad move. Look at what he has done. In every team he has been with, they become a winning team. He has had a few bad seasons here and there, but overall, once his plan is in place, the team has a winning record. I look at our division and think that the Chiefs could easily go to the top with just better coaching. Schottenheimer would bring toughness back to the KC defense and make Larry Johnson worth every dollar they pay him.

Amen. I'd take Marty for a two or three year stint. All he does is turn around franchises.

On the flip side: He can NOT win playoff games.

Hence signing him short term. Let The Schot get us pointed in the right direction, then spend some bucks on a coach that can finish the job.

Bike
12-21-2008, 09:26 PM
I would like to see Marty and Cowher reunited again.
This time as gm and hc.

theaxeeffect4311
12-21-2008, 09:55 PM
I would like to see Marty and Cowher reunited again.
This time as gm and hc.

If only...