PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 2009 salary cap figures

texaschief
12-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Not including rookie contracts for those rookies coming in from the 2009 draft, these players have contracts with the Chiefs NEXT season. If the trend continues, the estimated salary cap for 2009 is $121.8 million. These salary cap figures are based on the contracts that they sign. They are not factored in with their "Cap Hit." Usually, a player's "Cap Hit" is larger than their salary number.

Albert, Branden- 493,750
Barth, Connor- 385k
Battle, Jackie- 460k
Boone, Alfonso- 1.4mil
Bowe, Dwayne- 460k
Bradley, Mark- 620k
Carnahan, Andrew- 385k
Carr, Brandon-385k
Charles, Jamaal- 385k
Colclough, Ricardo- 620k
Colquitt, Dustin- 900k
Cottam, Brad- 385k
Cox, Mike-385k
Croyle, Brodie- 530K
Darche, Jean-Philippe- 745k
Darling, Devard- 1mil
Dorsey, Glenn- 385k
Edwards, Donnie- 5mil
Edwards, Ron- 1.5mil
Flowers, Brandon-385k
Franklin, Will-385k
Gafford, Thomas-385k
Gatewood, Curtis-385k
Gonzalez, Tony- 4mil
Gray, Quinn-750k
Hali, Tamba-940k
Huard, Damon-2mil
Johnson, Derrick-1mil
Johnson, Larry-4.5mil
Johnston, Brian-385k
Leggett, Maurice-385k
Macklin, David- 745k
McBride, Turk-460k
McIntosh, Damion-2.1mil
Merritt, Mike-385k
Morgan, DaJuan-385k
Pollard, Bernard-530k
Richardson, Barry-385k
Robinson, Kevin-385k
Smith, Kolby-460k
Smith, Wade-620k
Studebaker, Andy-385k
Surtain, Pat-7mil
Taylor, Herb-460k
Thigpen, Tyler-460K
Tyler, Demarcus-460k
Washington, Tavares-385k
Waters, Brian- 3.6mil
Williams, Demario-1mil

Total committed salary for the 2009 season is:
$51,743,750

Not including the "cap hit" figures and signing bonuses for rookies, the Chiefs will have somewhere around $65 million in cap room to play with. The bargaining agreement requires teams to spend AT LEAST 86% of their salary cap. That figure comes out to be roughly $99.76 million if the cap est. is correct. "Cap Hit" numbers and signing bonuses with eat up a big portion of the $40 million the Chiefs have to spend, but that still leaves a big number for the Chiefs to make up just to get in compliance with the NFL/NFLPA agreement.

Some names the Chiefs will have to look at just from their own crop of free agents, will be:
Jason Babin- Starting DE
Rocky Boiman- Starting LB
Adrian Jones- Backup OG
Jon McGraw- Backup S
Rudy Niswanger- Starting C
Jarrad Page- Starting S
Pat Thomas- Backup LB
Jeff Webb- WR

Just from that list, you're looking at having to either re-sign or replace 4 or 5 starters to go along with the holes we already have.

Let's say we let all our free agents walk. What are we left with?

Defense:
LE- OPEN
LT- Tyler
RT- Dorsey
RE- Hali
LOLB- OPEN
MLB- OPEN
ROLB- D. Johnson
LCB- Carr/Leggett
RCB- Flowers
SS- Pollard
FS- OPEN

Offense:
WR- Bowe
LT- Albert/Taylor/OPEN
LG- Waters/OPEN
C- OPEN/Waters
RG- OPEN/Albert
RT- OPEN/Taylor/Albert
TE- Gonzo/Cottam
WR- Bradley
QB- Thigpen/OPEN
FB- Cox
RB- Johnson/Charles

Special
K-Barth
P-Colquitt
KR-Robinson/Charles

That leaves us with potentially 4 holes on defense and 3 holes on offense if we go with Thigpen. 7 holes to fill with either the guys we have, free agents or the 2009 draft class.

To recap, we'll have roughly $25-35 million in cap space. We're going to be drafting in the top 5 in April. We will have a new GM. We will have 7 holes to fill.

On offense, we're going to need a:
Center
OG and/or
OT

On defense, we're going to need a:
DE
OLB
MLB
S

You are the new GM. Go have fun.

texaschief
12-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Personally, I think Taylor has earned a job on this offensive line and wouldn't be totally against giving him the LT spot if he can't be moved to another spot. We already know that Albert in versatile enough to move inside if need be. I think we could move Niswanger over to a guard spot to make room for a solid, true C out of college like Mack. My first experiment though would be to put Taylor at RT and see if he can lock that spot down and move Niswanger to the RG spot. It would be really nice to be able to fill most of our OLine needs with guys we already have as opposed to signing big expensive contracts with free agents or spending high draft picks on OTs. Not that having another 1st round OT wouldn't be nice. It's just a luxury that we wouldn't necessarily need if we can fill those holes before we get to free agency or the draft.

IMO, our focus in free agency NEEDS to be LBs. I know we already have an expensive one on the books with Edwards, but he's just going to have to be dead weight. If we can get one good LB and or one good DE in FA, then we can get the remaining one or two that we'll need with the first couple picks in the draft.

jmlamerson
12-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Keep long term:

Albert, Branden- 493,750
Barth, Connor- 385k
Bowe, Dwayne- 460k
Bradley, Mark- 620k
Carr, Brandon-385k
Charles, Jamaal- 385k
Colquitt, Dustin- 900k
Cottam, Brad- 385k
Cox, Mike-385k
Dorsey, Glenn- 385k
Flowers, Brandon-385k
Gonzalez, Tony- 4mil
Johnson, Derrick-1mil
Leggett, Maurice-385k
Pollard, Bernard-530k
Thigpen, Tyler-460K
Waters, Brian- 3.6mil

Keep as backup until contract expires:

Battle, Jackie- 460k
Boone, Alfonso- 1.4mil
Edwards, Ron- 1.5mil
Franklin, Will-385k
Gray, Quinn-750k
Hali, Tamba-940k
Johnston, Brian-385k
McBride, Turk-460k
Merritt, Mike-385k
Morgan, DaJuan-385k
Richardson, Barry-385k
Robinson, Kevin-385k
Smith, Kolby-460k
Smith, Wade-620k
Taylor, Herb-460k
Tyler, Demarcus-460k

Resign (if reasonable):

Jason Babin- As backup DE
Rocky Boiman- As backup LB
Rudy Niswanger- As backup C/OG

Cut/Trade/Let leave as FA:

Croyle, Brodie- 530K
Darling, Devard- 1mil
Edwards, Donnie- 5mil
McIntosh, Damion-2.1mil
Huard, Damon-2mil
Johnson, Larry-4.5mil
Surtain, Pat-7mil
Williams, Demario-1mil
Adrian Jones- Backup OG
Jon McGraw- Backup S
Jarrad Page- Starting S
Pat Thomas- Backup LB
Jeff Webb- WR

Don't Know/Care:

Carnahan, Andrew- 385k
Colclough, Ricardo- 620k
Gafford, Thomas-385k
Gatewood, Curtis-385k
Macklin, David- 745k
Studebaker, Andy-385k
Washington, Tavares-385k

Our focus going into this offseason should be:

Defense:
LE- NEED STARTER
LDT- NEED STARTER
RDT- Dorsey
RE- NEED STARTER
LOLB- NEED STARTER
MLB- NEED STARTER
ROLB- D. Johnson
LCB- Carr/Leggett
RCB- Flowers
SS- Pollard
FS- NEED STARTER

Offense:
WR- Bowe
LT- Albert
LG- Waters
C- NEED STARTER
RG- NEED STARTER
RT- NEED STARTER
TE- Gonzo
WR- Bradley
QB- Thigpen
FB- Cox
RB- NEED STARTER

Special
K-Barth
P-Colquitt
KR-NEED STARTER

A new 1WR and 1CB would be nice too (I'm growing on the idea of signing Housmanzadah and I love the idea of Asomugha locking down out CB slot for the next decade). I think Pollard will improve as soon as we can Gunther, so he can remain a starter. Fill the defensive problems through FA (except maybe LB), and draft the offense. I'm for moving Albert to LG, Waters to RG, and drafting Andre Smith or Oher if they're available when we pick. I don't like Robinson or Charles as our KR/PR, and I think we can do better in the draft. We might as well hope and pray Dorsey improves against the run and builds some upper body strength this offeason.

Big Daddy Tek
12-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Keep long term:

Albert, Branden- 493,750
Barth, Connor- 385k
Bowe, Dwayne- 460k
Bradley, Mark- 620k
Carr, Brandon-385k
Charles, Jamaal- 385k
Colquitt, Dustin- 900k
Cottam, Brad- 385k
Cox, Mike-385k
Dorsey, Glenn- 385k
Flowers, Brandon-385k
Gonzalez, Tony- 4mil
Johnson, Derrick-1mil
Leggett, Maurice-385k
Pollard, Bernard-530k
Thigpen, Tyler-460K
Waters, Brian- 3.6mil

Battle, Jackie- 460k
Boone, Alfonso- 1.4mil
Edwards, Ron- 1.5mil
Franklin, Will-385k
Gray, Quinn-750k
Hali, Tamba-940k
Johnston, Brian-385k
McBride, Turk-460k
Merritt, Mike-385k
Morgan, DaJuan-385k
Richardson, Barry-385k
Robinson, Kevin-385k
Smith, Kolby-460k
Smith, Wade-620k
Taylor, Herb-460k
Tyler, Demarcus-460k

Resign (if reasonable):

Croyle, Brodie- 530K
Darling, Devard- 1mil
Edwards, Donnie- 5mil
McIntosh, Damion-2.1mil
Huard, Damon-2mil
Johnson, Larry-4.5mil
Surtain, Pat-7mil
Williams, Demario-1mil
Adrian Jones- Backup OG
Jon McGraw- Backup S
Jarrad Page- Starting S
Pat Thomas- Backup LB
Jeff Webb- WR

Don't Know/Care:

Carnahan, Andrew- 385k
Colclough, Ricardo- 620k
Gafford, Thomas-385k
Gatewood, Curtis-385k
Macklin, David- 745k
Studebaker, Andy-385k
Washington, Tavares-385k

Defense:
LE- NEED STARTER
LDT- NEED STARTER
RDT- Dorsey
RE- NEED STARTER
LOLB- NEED STARTER
MLB- NEED STARTER
ROLB- D. Johnson
LCB- Carr/Leggett
RCB- Flowers
SS- Pollard
FS- NEED STARTER

Offense:
WR- Bowe
LT- Albert
LG- Waters
C- NEED STARTER
RG- NEED STARTER
RT- NEED STARTER
TE- Gonzo
WR- Bradley
QB- Thigpen
FB- Cox
RB- NEED STARTER

Special
K-Barth
P-Colquitt
KR-NEED STARTER

A new 1WR and 1CB would be nice too (I'm growing on the idea of signing Housmanzadah and I love the idea of Asomugha locking down out CB slot for the next decade). I think Pollard will improve as soon as we can Gunther, so he can remain a starter. Fill the defensive problems through FA (except maybe LB), and draft the offense. I'm for moving Albert to LG, Waters to RG, and drafting Andre Smith or Oher if they're available when we pick. I don't like Robinson or Charles as our KR/PR, and I think we can do better in the draft. We might as well hope and pray Dorsey improves against the run and builds some upper body strength this offeason.

Hahahahah, You got one hell of a cap penalty building up after all of your big money cuts and have 11 spots to fill in the off season. You cut Jarad Page? 3 weeks ago, it was Bernard that you wanted to cut and Page to keep. Its OK JM, youll learn what its about one day buddy.

jap1
12-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Im not going to quote because the response will be like 3 pages long.

In regards to texaschief's post:
I assume you think D. Edwards is not starting material anymore because you did not list him under the defensive starters. Which I dont disagree with because he has not been able to stay healthy.

Oh and am I the only one who is floored that our two highest paid players are Surtain and Edwards? And they both have pretty much been hurt all season.

I think on offense we need EITHER a starting C or G. If we get a center, move Niswanger or McIntosh to G. If we get a G, keep Niswanger at C.

In regards to JM's post:
First, I disagree with cutting Brodie Croyle. We will need a 3rd string QB, and Croyle makes less than Gray, so why not as long as Herm Edwards has lost his woody for Brodie.
Next, as we both know I disagree about cutting LJ, so I wont go into that too much.
I dont like the idea of Asomugha. Maybe I am just biased because I dont like any player wearing silver and black, or I just dont like paying a crap ton of money to CBs. Any CB can look good IF you get a decent pass rush. Look at the Giants last year. Plus Flowers and Carr are doing pretty good.
On the same note I am satisfied with our safeties. They wouldnt get burnt deep if the QB didnt have enough time to get a shiatsu massage with a "happy ending" before he throws the ball. I also hate the "Tampa 2" defense. It is useless unless you get pressure and sacks with just the 4 down linemen. But ANY defense should be good if you dont have to blitz to get pressure and can drop 7 guys into coverage. I prefer a mix of traditional cover 2 and 3 with an aggressive blitz strategy. But I digress ...
I think Albert should stay at T. Left or right is open for debate.

If I were GM (Mr. Hunt, you can expect my resume and application in the mail haha), this is how I would rank our needs, in order of importance:
RDE
RT
2 LBs
RG/C
luxury upgrades:
LDT
WR (slot or #2)
KR
OL depth
LB depth
DL depth

I would get a pro-bowl or nearly pro-bowl caliber RT, RDE, and LB in FA. OLB v MLB depends on who is available, age and how DJ does at MLB (jury is still out in my opinion).

In the draft I would trade down in the first and pick-up a LB (Mauluga for MLB or Cushing (USC) for OLB) in the middle-late first round. A G/C and/or DL with our 2 2nd round picks (depending on what we get for the trade down). RT or LB in the 3rd round for OL depth. In the 4th round on I would draft the best players available. The majority of people in the fourth round never make it past their rookie contracts, let alone become starters.

theaxeeffect4311
12-17-2008, 03:29 AM
Here are the free agents that the Chiefs need:

1. Terrell Suggs (DE)
2. Jonathan Vilma (ILB)

Here are a few that I am not sure will make it to FA:

1. Jordan Gross (OT)
2. Vernon Carey (RT)

And if we need a CB, I would look at Jabari Greer from the Bills, since I doubt that Oakland will let go of Asomugha.

I am OK with moving Albert to RT or OG because I think the Chiefs could draft a great LT in Andre Smith, Michael Oher, or Eugene Monroe.

texaschief
12-17-2008, 05:08 AM
Keep long term:

Albert, Branden- 493,750
Barth, Connor- 385k
Bowe, Dwayne- 460k
Bradley, Mark- 620k
Carr, Brandon-385k
Charles, Jamaal- 385k
Colquitt, Dustin- 900k
Cottam, Brad- 385k
Cox, Mike-385k
Dorsey, Glenn- 385k
Flowers, Brandon-385k
Gonzalez, Tony- 4mil
Johnson, Derrick-1mil
Leggett, Maurice-385k
Pollard, Bernard-530k
Thigpen, Tyler-460K
Waters, Brian- 3.6mil

Battle, Jackie- 460k
Boone, Alfonso- 1.4mil
Edwards, Ron- 1.5mil
Franklin, Will-385k
Gray, Quinn-750k
Hali, Tamba-940k
Johnston, Brian-385k
McBride, Turk-460k
Merritt, Mike-385k
Morgan, DaJuan-385k
Richardson, Barry-385k
Robinson, Kevin-385k
Smith, Kolby-460k
Smith, Wade-620k
Taylor, Herb-460k
Tyler, Demarcus-460k

Resign (if reasonable):

Croyle, Brodie- 530K
Darling, Devard- 1mil
Edwards, Donnie- 5mil
McIntosh, Damion-2.1mil
Huard, Damon-2mil
Johnson, Larry-4.5mil
Surtain, Pat-7mil
Williams, Demario-1mil
Adrian Jones- Backup OG
Jon McGraw- Backup S
Jarrad Page- Starting S
Pat Thomas- Backup LB
Jeff Webb- WR

Don't Know/Care:

Carnahan, Andrew- 385k
Colclough, Ricardo- 620k
Gafford, Thomas-385k
Gatewood, Curtis-385k
Macklin, David- 745k
Studebaker, Andy-385k
Washington, Tavares-385k

Defense:
LE- NEED STARTER
LDT- NEED STARTER
RDT- Dorsey
RE- NEED STARTER
LOLB- NEED STARTER
MLB- NEED STARTER
ROLB- D. Johnson
LCB- Carr/Leggett
RCB- Flowers
SS- Pollard
FS- NEED STARTER

Offense:
WR- Bowe
LT- Albert
LG- Waters
C- NEED STARTER
RG- NEED STARTER
RT- NEED STARTER
TE- Gonzo
WR- Bradley
QB- Thigpen
FB- Cox
RB- NEED STARTER

Special
K-Barth
P-Colquitt
KR-NEED STARTER

...clueless :funnypost:

jtandcrew
12-17-2008, 09:47 AM
I have said it before and will say it again! Move Herb to RT leave Alabert at LT! Draft 2 guards since Jones sucks and I would be surprised if Waters comes back!:yahoo:

jmlamerson
12-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Hahahahah, You got one hell of a cap penalty building up after all of your big money cuts and have 11 spots to fill in the off season. You cut Jarad Page? 3 weeks ago, it was Bernard that you wanted to cut and Page to keep. Its OK JM, youll learn what its about one day buddy.

I never said we should keep Page. I've said all year we need to let him go. You don't know what you are talking about.

I've also said all year that Pollard needs to go if we keep the Cover 2. As I said above, after we can Herm and Gunther, we'll probably go to a real defense. You don't know what you are talking about.

Our cap penalty isn't that much cutting those guys, as most are in the final years of their contracts. And we'll have more than enough cap room to stomach the hits. You don't know what you are talking about.

You know less about football than anyone else on these boards.

jmlamerson
12-17-2008, 12:07 PM
...clueless :funnypost:
So, you couldn't actually come up with any real objections? Pathetic.

jmlamerson
12-17-2008, 12:21 PM
In regards to JM's post:
First, I disagree with cutting Brodie Croyle. We will need a 3rd string QB, and Croyle makes less than Gray, so why not as long as Herm Edwards has lost his woody for Brodie.
Next, as we both know I disagree about cutting LJ, so I wont go into that too much.
I dont like the idea of Asomugha. Maybe I am just biased because I dont like any player wearing silver and black, or I just dont like paying a crap ton of money to CBs. Any CB can look good IF you get a decent pass rush. Look at the Giants last year. Plus Flowers and Carr are doing pretty good.
On the same note I am satisfied with our safeties. They wouldnt get burnt deep if the QB didnt have enough time to get a shiatsu massage with a "happy ending" before he throws the ball. I also hate the "Tampa 2" defense. It is useless unless you get pressure and sacks with just the 4 down linemen. But ANY defense should be good if you dont have to blitz to get pressure and can drop 7 guys into coverage. I prefer a mix of traditional cover 2 and 3 with an aggressive blitz strategy. But I digress ...
I think Albert should stay at T. Left or right is open for debate.

I don't want a QB controversy next year and I just don't see Croyle's value. He can't stay healthy through a single game anymore. Surely keeping Thigpen and Gray, along with drafting a QB low is enough that the Brodie Croyle experiment can finally be put out of its misery.

I see everyone's arguments with LJ. And there isn't a good answer. We won't get value for him - even if a GM decides to trade for him, we're only getting a low pick. If we keep him, we have clubhouse and possible suspension problems. If we cut him, we're cutting a RB with gas left in the tank, no replcement, and have a cap hit. There isn't a good solution to this problem.

I like Flowers, Leggett, and (especially) Carr. I just think Asomugha is the greatest CB of this era, and we're one of the few teams that will have the cap room to make him a good enough offer. Given the number of three-WR sets in the NFL now, moving Carr to the slot, and keeping Leggett as a reserve DB/special teams player isn't a terrible idea.

I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding the defense. I've seen enough of Pollard this year to realize that it's the scheme, more than his talent, that's holding him back. I don't like Page though. I think we can do better in the draft or in FA.

Albert at T is fine by me. I just had visions of an immense OL (1999-2003 style) of Oher/Albert/Mack/Waters/Gross that could dominate the league. If that doesn't come to pass (which it probably won't), I'm fine keeping Albert at RT.

If I were GM (Mr. Hunt, you can expect my resume and application in the mail haha), this is how I would rank our needs, in order of importance:
RDE
RT
2 LBs
RG/C
luxury upgrades:
LDT
WR (slot or #2)
KR
OL depth
LB depth
DL depth

I would get a pro-bowl or nearly pro-bowl caliber RT, RDE, and LB in FA. OLB v MLB depends on who is available, age and how DJ does at MLB (jury is still out in my opinion).

In the draft I would trade down in the first and pick-up a LB (Mauluga for MLB or Cushing (USC) for OLB) in the middle-late first round. A G/C and/or DL with our 2 2nd round picks (depending on what we get for the trade down). RT or LB in the 3rd round for OL depth. In the 4th round on I would draft the best players available. The majority of people in the fourth round never make it past their rookie contracts, let alone become starters.

I agree with your priorities and analysis. I don't think Maualuga lasts past the seven to eight spot, so we can't trade down that much and still get him. I think he'll be defensive rookie of the year next year, anfd can anchor our defense for the next decade.

texaschief
12-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Our cap penalty isn't that much cutting those guys, as most are in the final years of their contracts. And we'll have more than enough cap room to stomach the hits. You don't know what you are talking about.

The sad part is that you ACTUALLY believe this. After you cut THAT many players with those big contracts, you're not going to have ANY room to maneuver. You say we have the room to take that kind of hit... and while you're right, we could take that hit and still come under the cap, we wouldn't have any room to sign all those free agents that you want or re-sign any of our own free agents... not that it matters though, right? We have nothing but busts on this team. :lol:

So, you couldn't actually come up with any real objections? Pathetic.

Really? That's what you're gonna go with? LMAO

I don't want a QB controversy next year and I just don't see Croyle's value. He can't stay healthy through a single game anymore. Surely keeping Thigpen and Gray, along with drafting a QB low is enough that the Brodie Croyle experiment can finally be put out of its misery.

Really? YOU? You can't find value in ANYONE on this team...

I see everyone's arguments with LJ. And there isn't a good answer. We won't get value for him - even if a GM decides to trade for him, we're only getting a low pick. If we keep him, we have clubhouse and possible suspension problems. If we cut him, we're cutting a RB with gas left in the tank, no replcement, and have a cap hit. There isn't a good solution to this problem.

I like Flowers, Leggett, and (especially) Carr. I just think Asomugha is the greatest CB of this era, and we're one of the few teams that will have the cap room to make him a good enough offer. Given the number of three-WR sets in the NFL now, moving Carr to the slot, and keeping Leggett as a reserve DB/special teams player isn't a terrible idea.

That one sentence alone DESTROYED any creditability you had. Aso is a good CB for sure. Hell, he might even be a great CB, but "the greatest of his era?!!" Put the pipe down. I just watched a one win team and a rookie QB light his *** up!

Albert at T is fine by me. I just had visions of an immense OL (1999-2003 style) of Oher/Albert/Mack/Waters/Gross that could dominate the league. If that doesn't come to pass (which it probably won't), I'm fine keeping Albert at RT.

That would be a cool O-line... and an expensive one. But O-lines are worth it.

hardcorechiefsfan
12-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Keep long term:

Albert, Branden- 493,750
Barth, Connor- 385k
Bowe, Dwayne- 460k
Bradley, Mark- 620k
Carr, Brandon-385k
Charles, Jamaal- 385k
Colquitt, Dustin- 900k
Cottam, Brad- 385k
Cox, Mike-385k
Dorsey, Glenn- 385k
Flowers, Brandon-385k
Gonzalez, Tony- 4mil
Johnson, Derrick-1mil
Leggett, Maurice-385k
Pollard, Bernard-530k
Thigpen, Tyler-460K
Waters, Brian- 3.6mil

Battle, Jackie- 460k
Boone, Alfonso- 1.4mil
Edwards, Ron- 1.5mil
Franklin, Will-385k
Gray, Quinn-750k
Hali, Tamba-940k
Johnston, Brian-385k
McBride, Turk-460k
Merritt, Mike-385k
Morgan, DaJuan-385k
Richardson, Barry-385k
Robinson, Kevin-385k
Smith, Kolby-460k
Smith, Wade-620k
Taylor, Herb-460k
Tyler, Demarcus-460k

Resign (if reasonable):

Croyle, Brodie- 530K
Darling, Devard- 1mil
Edwards, Donnie- 5mil
McIntosh, Damion-2.1mil
Huard, Damon-2mil
Johnson, Larry-4.5mil
Surtain, Pat-7mil
Williams, Demario-1mil
Adrian Jones- Backup OG
Jon McGraw- Backup S
Jarrad Page- Starting S
Pat Thomas- Backup LB
Jeff Webb- WR

Don't Know/Care:

Carnahan, Andrew- 385k
Colclough, Ricardo- 620k
Gafford, Thomas-385k
Gatewood, Curtis-385k
Macklin, David- 745k
Studebaker, Andy-385k
Washington, Tavares-385k

Defense:
LE- NEED STARTER
LDT- NEED STARTER
RDT- Dorsey
RE- NEED STARTER
LOLB- NEED STARTER
MLB- NEED STARTER
ROLB- D. Johnson
LCB- Carr/Leggett
RCB- Flowers
SS- Pollard
FS- NEED STARTER

Offense:
WR- Bowe
LT- Albert
LG- Waters
C- NEED STARTER
RG- NEED STARTER
RT- NEED STARTER
TE- Gonzo
WR- Bradley
QB- Thigpen
FB- Cox
RB- NEED STARTER

Special
K-Barth
P-Colquitt
KR-NEED STARTER

Aren't most if not all of these guys getting paid more than the president of United States?

jmlamerson
12-17-2008, 03:24 PM
The sad part is that you ACTUALLY believe this. After you cut THAT many players with those big contracts, you're not going to have ANY room to maneuver. You say we have the room to take that kind of hit... and while you're right, we could take that hit and still come under the cap, we wouldn't have any room to sign all those free agents that you want or re-sign any of our own free agents... not that it matters though, right? We have nothing but busts on this team. :lol:

Really? That's what you're gonna go with? LMAO

We are going to have over $50M of cap room if we do my cuts. About $20M will be eaten up with dead cap space from cutting LJ, Surtain, Edwards, etc. (remember, cap hits are prorated and Edwards, Surtain, etc. are near the end of their contracts - only LJ and Williams would be sizable cap hits). We have no one we need to extend this year (unless we really want to reward Page for all of his work), and that $20M in dead cap will be off the books after 2009. Given our immense cap room, we can cut all of the overpriced deadwood and still sign our rookie class, some top FAs, and extend who ever you think is worth extending. Who, by the way, needs extending this offseason? Niswanger, Babin, Thigpen, DJ, and Bradley, maybe. That's it. None of those is exactly going to break the bank.

I listed seventeen players (I think) who I thought should be part of our long term plans. I listed another 15 or so who we should let go after they hit FA. I listed another 10 or so I didn't know or care about. That leaves about 15 I said we should cut or let leave in FA this year. With the exception of LJ, these are all players who have no trade value and who are not producing at a pro level.

The team isn't entirely busts, but we've busted in the draft much more often than not during Herm's tenure. The players we have worth keeping are almost entirely free agents, undrafted guys, or pre-Herm guys. I'll go through the entire analysis again if you need it, but we have five guys from Herm's draft who are useful to our team right now (Carr, Flowers, Pollard, Bowe, and Albert). We have another three who show some promise but aren't convincing as starters yet (Cottam, Charles, and Robinson). We have one for whom its too to early to say "bust," but who is playing way below his draft hype (Dorsey). That's it. We have had three pretty awful drafts under Herm, and the next GM will have an awful jobs filling the massive holes Herm's left on this team.

Name a better CB than Asomugha from this decade.

Look, you clearly don't understand how a salary cap works. You clearly overestimate talent if you think Brodie Croyle still has any value to a NFL franchise. You were massively wrong about how Herm's team would perform this year. You don't know what you are talking about.

Big Daddy Tek
12-17-2008, 09:40 PM
I never said we should keep Page. I've said all year we need to let him go. You don't know what you are talking about.

I've also said all year that Pollard needs to go if we keep the Cover 2. As I said above, after we can Herm and Gunther, we'll probably go to a real defense. You don't know what you are talking about.

You know less about football than anyone else on these boards.

You dont know who I am or what i do. If you did, you would be very surprised how much I know. but thats irrelevant little guy. "Our cap penalty isnt that much cutting those guys"? Hold on a second, can you proof read that and make sure that I didnt jumble your quote. Oh, that is what you said? Good, because if you knew anything, you would know that the Chiefs justed wasted 19 MILLION DOLLARS in GUARANTEED money to LJ if they just release him, not to mention that this was his first year in a long term contract worth nearly 50 million. So yeah, little buckaroo, the cap hit on this would be in record proportion. This isnt the Madden video game pal. By the way Lil' Carl, the strongest position on this team for now and the future is at cornerback. You want to make a major trade to the Raiders for Namdi? And then fill the holes for the great players that we had to get rid of, to get him. Like we dont have enough holes. Well atleast we will have 4 good cornerbacks huh? Its really evident that you just started watching the Chiefs this year and didnt go through the transition with us in the off season. If you did then you would know where we are at as a franchise. We didnt make any moves in the offseason last year and played with a bunch of rookies and sophmores so that when the foundation comes together, which it has, we can go out THIS OFFSEASON and build the house with huge cap room. Thats how pro football works. Like I said in my last post, that made you so sad... Dont worry, you'll get it one day lil' buddy.

chief31
12-17-2008, 10:26 PM
You dont know who I am or what i do. If you did, you would be very surprised how much I know. but thats irrelevant little guy. "Our cap penalty isnt that much cutting those guys"? Hold on a second, can you proof read that and make sure that I didnt jumble your quote. Oh, that is what you said? Good, because if you knew anything, you would know that the Chiefs justed wasted 19 MILLION DOLLARS in GUARANTEED money to LJ if they just release him, not to mention that this was his first year in a long term contract worth nearly 50 million. So yeah, little buckaroo, the cap hit on this would be in record proportion. This isnt the Madden video game pal. By the way Lil' Carl, the strongest position on this team for now and the future is at cornerback. You want to make a major trade to the Raiders for Namdi? And then fill the holes for the great players that we had to get rid of, to get him. Like we dont have enough holes. Well atleast we will have 4 good cornerbacks huh? Its really evident that you just started watching the Chiefs this year and didnt go through the transition with us in the off season. If you did then you would know where we are at as a franchise. We didnt make any moves in the offseason last year and played with a bunch of rookies and sophmores so that when the foundation comes together, which it has, we can go out THIS OFFSEASON and build the house with huge cap room. Thats how pro football works. Like I said in my last post, that made you so sad... Dont worry, you'll get it one day lil' buddy.

LJ is finishing the second year of that contract.

The Raiders CB is due to be a FA. Therefore, no trade to be made.

When you come to bring all the big talk and prove that you know what you are talking about, shouldn't you actually find out what you are talking about first?

Big Daddy Tek
12-17-2008, 10:42 PM
LJ is finishing the second year of that contract.

The Raiders CB is due to be a FA. Therefore, no trade to be made.

When you come to bring all the big talk and prove that you know what you are talking about, shouldn't you actually find out what you are talking about first?

Your right, LJ is finishing his 2nd year. My bad, typo. Contract was 45 mil + incentives for 6 years, which would mean the cap hit would be tremendous if we let him go this early like I said. My point is still right on and very correct. As far as Nnamdi, your outta your mind if you think that the Raiders let him hit the open market. Im very aware of his contract status and fully aware of him being franchise tagged last year and he will be signed this year. He would barely be tradeable after that, but if JM wanted him, it would have to be through trade.

jap1
12-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Anybody know if there will be any big name guards available in FA this offseason?

Also, a lot of people think we need a new FS. Im not sure there is anyone available in FA or the draft other than the USC kid (Mays?) who will probably go in the 1st. For those reasons I think we should keep Page and focus on other problems. I still think if we get some pressure on the QB and a few sacks, then the entire secondary will look ten times better.

texaschief
12-18-2008, 03:30 AM
We are going to have over $50M of cap room if we do my cuts. About $20M will be eaten up with dead cap space from cutting LJ, Surtain, Edwards, etc. (remember, cap hits are prorated and Edwards, Surtain, etc. are near the end of their contracts - only LJ and Williams would be sizable cap hits).

We know that unless the contract guarantees money, the contracts are not automatically guaranteed. Larry's contract guarantees him 19 million alone. He received 12 of that in his signing bonus and 7 of it is guaranteed salary. The signing bonus is distributed evenly over his contract, which means the Chiefs are probably still on the hook for at least 13 million of his contract when you account for his other 7 guaranteed.

Pat Surtain's cap hit is going to be somewhere around 8 million due to his signing bonus when he re-negotiated his contract.

Donnie Edwards got a signing bonus worth 10million. He'll be owed some 3.3 million.

Damion McIntosh received an 18.5 million dollar signing bonus. With 4 years left on his contract, he'll account for a 12 million dollar cap hit.

DeMario Williams got 5 million for his signing bonus and still has 4 years left on his contract. He would be a 4 million dollar hit.

Damon Huard will count for a 1 million dollar cap hit.

Devard Darling will count for a 1 million dollar cap hit.

Croyle and all others would be minimal and would probably only count for 1 or 2 million combined.

The players you want to cut would be a $43 million cap hit AT THE VERY LEAST!

We have no one we need to extend this year (unless we really want to reward Page for all of his work), and that $20M in dead cap will be off the books after 2009. Given our immense cap room, we can cut all of the overpriced deadwood and still sign our rookie class, some top FAs, and extend who ever you think is worth extending. Who, by the way, needs extending this offseason? Niswanger, Babin, Thigpen, DJ, and Bradley, maybe. That's it. None of those is exactly going to break the bank.

First, it wouldn't be 20 million, it'd be 40 or so. Then, with all that money off the books, the Chiefs would have to go out and spend HUGE MONEY in free agency just to get in compliance with the CBA. That would completely go against EVERYTHING the Chiefs are trying to accomplish. To spend that kind of money, the Chiefs would have to give LJ type contracts to each FA they signed in 2009. No thank you. That gives the Chiefs zero maneuverability in the future to re-sign our own players. The LJ, Edwards, McIntosh and Surtain contracts are burden enough for this team. I couldn't imagine having half a team with those kind of contracts and run the risk of them performing like those guys two or three years down the road.

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL

I listed seventeen players (I think) who I thought should be part of our long term plans. I listed another 15 or so who we should let go after they hit FA. I listed another 10 or so I didn't know or care about. That leaves about 15 I said we should cut or let leave in FA this year. With the exception of LJ, these are all players who have no trade value and who are not producing at a pro level.

The team isn't entirely busts, but we've busted in the draft much more often than not during Herm's tenure. The players we have worth keeping are almost entirely free agents, undrafted guys, or pre-Herm guys. I'll go through the entire analysis again if you need it, but we have five guys from Herm's draft who are useful to our team right now (Carr, Flowers, Pollard, Bowe, and Albert). We have another three who show some promise but aren't convincing as starters yet (Cottam, Charles, and Robinson). We have one for whom its too to early to say "bust," but who is playing way below his draft hype (Dorsey). That's it. We have had three pretty awful drafts under Herm, and the next GM will have an awful jobs filling the massive holes Herm's left on this team.

YES. PLEASE. I need you to go back through your analysis again. You talk like these undrafted free agents that are on the team aren't players Herm and his staff identified and brought in. IMO, finding talent from the pool of UDFA's shows more talent identification ability than finding talent in the first couple rounds. Your "pre-herm" guys aren't exactly helping your case here. Unless you are just talking about Gonzo and Waters. Can anyone show me a DT who made the Pro Bowl his rookie season? How about second year? Tommie Harris.... any others? How many DTs have made the Pro Bowl 4 consecutive seasons?

You expect WAY too much from rookies.

Name a better CB than Asomugha from this decade.

Champ Bailey
Chris McCallister
Asante Samuel
Ty Law
Rasheen Mathis

Look, you clearly don't understand how a salary cap works. You clearly overestimate talent if you think Brodie Croyle still has any value to a NFL franchise. You were massively wrong about how Herm's team would perform this year. You don't know what you are talking about.

Whatever you say there, hoss. :iamwithstupid:

texaschief
12-18-2008, 03:35 AM
So, with $43 million in cap penalties and probably only $116 million in total alloted salary space, who are we going to sign this year as a free agent? Don't forget their cap numbers as well while you're rackin up the bill.

Also don't forget that you have 11 starters needed between rookies (who will have large signing bonuses) and free agents.

How is this a step in the right direction again?

jmlamerson
12-18-2008, 10:56 AM
We know that unless the contract guarantees money, the contracts are not automatically guaranteed. Larry's contract guarantees him 19 million alone. He received 12 of that in his signing bonus and 7 of it is guaranteed salary. The signing bonus is distributed evenly over his contract, which means the Chiefs are probably still on the hook for at least 13 million of his contract when you account for his other 7 guaranteed.

Pat Surtain's cap hit is going to be somewhere around 8 million due to his signing bonus when he re-negotiated his contract.

Donnie Edwards got a signing bonus worth 10million. He'll be owed some 3.3 million.

Damion McIntosh received an 18.5 million dollar signing bonus. With 4 years left on his contract, he'll account for a 12 million dollar cap hit.

DeMario Williams got 5 million for his signing bonus and still has 4 years left on his contract. He would be a 4 million dollar hit.

Damon Huard will count for a 1 million dollar cap hit.

Devard Darling will count for a 1 million dollar cap hit.

Croyle and all others would be minimal and would probably only count for 1 or 2 million combined.

The players you want to cut would be a $43 million cap hit AT THE VERY LEAST!

1. I had McIntosh on the wrong list. I knew about his awful contract and I forgot to take him off. He should have been on the keep until contract expires list. My bad.

2. Surtain's hit is only $6M.

The totals:

LJ - $13M
Surtain - $6M
Williams - $4M
Edwards- $3.3M
Huard - $1M
Darling - $1M
Rest - $1M

Totaling $29.3M.

Yeah, it's a terrible, terrible hit for next year. But we still have more than enough room to sign FAs and our rookies. And we'll be free and clear from these awful contracts in 2010. We can then extend any rookies worth extending.

We've signed some awful FAs in the past three years. Whether you want it or not, our next GM (assuming he's not a CP lackey) will probably do as I suggested above and clear house. Hopefully our next GM and HC are better talent evaluators than our current ones.

I'm in favor of signing large FA contracts to good FAs. Guys under 30 with a history of success. Haynesworth can't be refranchised (per his contract) and is worth a look. Asomugha will probably not be refranchised and is worth a look. Gross is worth a look. Dansby is worth a look. Houshmenzadah is worth a look. Suggs is worth a look. These aren't two to three year fixes like Law or Green. Guys like this can be building blocks of our franchise for the next decade.

And you're nuts if you think Champ Bailey, Chris McCallister, Asante Samuel, Ty Law, and Rasheen Mathis are better than Asomugha. Bailey is the most overrated CB of all time. He is consistently beat for big gains - he's a quiter version of DeAngelo Hall. Samuel and Law were great with the Pats. They were mediocre when elsewhere. McCallister is a great CB, but Baltimore players tend to do pretty poorly when off that defense. I'd want to see him on a truly awful team, like Asomugha on the Raiders. Mathis is a great CB, but not on Asomugha's level.

It isn't that I expect too much from rookies. I don't expect guys like Dorsey, Tank, and McBride to be pro bowlers right now. Guys like Kevin Williams, Warren Sapp, Wilfork, and Albert Haynesworth are few and far between. But Wilfork's, Williams', Sapp's, and Haynesworth's defenses were never at the bottom of the league against the run.

Have you ever noticed that very, very few OL and DL rookies make the pro bowl? That's because the pro bowl is a popularity contest, and it takes a while for non-skill players to get known, not because there's such a massive learning curve.

Dorsey is playing right now no better than any 7th rounder. Tank and Turk are playing worse. They are getting blown off the line every down. Can they get better? Maybe. Will they get better? Who knows? They are not the impact players that the current administration said they were. Maybe this whole experience has taught us the stupidity of drafting DTs too high, and counting on first to third year players to man a DL.

Also don't forget that you have 11 starters needed between rookies (who will have large signing bonuses) and free agents.

2nd through 7th rounders don't have large signing bonuses. Our 1st rounder will, which is why we should avoid a project player like Bradford or an undersized DE like Orkapo or Johnson.

This team can and, if we hire a good GM, will be rebuilt using a misture of draft and FA. Once we have a presentable product on the field, we should use the draft to keep our team replenished as opposed to large forays into free agency. Teams like the Giants, Colts, Pats, and Steelers used free agency to rebuild their teams and then used the draft to stay on top.

Herm and Carl tried to bypass that first step, and it has massively backfired.

jmlamerson
12-18-2008, 11:58 AM

I do know that writing in sentences is obviously not your strong point.

A foundation of a team is its lines and QB. We may have found in FA (not in one of Herm's terrible drafts) a good enough QB to lead our team. We have massive holes in our front seven and our OL. Herm hasn't built anything except our CBs.

As Chief31 pointed out, you don't know what you're talking about.

Big Daddy Tek
12-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I do know that writing in sentences is obviously not your strong point.

A foundation of a team is its lines and QB. We may have found in FA (not in one of Herm's terrible drafts) a good enough QB to lead our team. We have massive holes in our front seven and our OL. Herm hasn't built anything except our CBs.

As Chief31 pointed out, you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm Not looking for a perfect sentence structure in a forum, pal. You don't even want to go their. I'll out write you any day of the week. As far as foundation, your talking about the foundation built by position. Im talking about the core players that make up the identity of the team. To you, they all suck, I know. In reality, we are a few FA plug-ins away from being good. Mix that with another good draft and we are their. Sorry, throwing 20 million dollars away because we have room to and then dumping our re-building project to start over again is just stupid. Congratulations on being a ***Can we please act like we have some self control?!?!?!***. Your parents must be proud.

jmlamerson
12-18-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm Not looking for a perfect sentence structure in a forum, pal. You don't even want to go their. I'll out write you any day of the week. As far as foundation, your talking about the foundation built by position. Im talking about the core players that make up the identity of the team. To you, they all suck, I know. In reality, we are a few FA plug-ins away from being good. Mix that with another good draft and we are their. Sorry, throwing 20 million dollars away because we have room to and then dumping our re-building project to start over again is just stupid. Congratulations on being a delusional id!ot. Your parents must be proud.

How, exactly, am I dumping our rebuilding project by cutting our overpriced FAs, bring in younger FAs at key positions, and drafting better? What do you think rebuilding actually is? Believe it or not, rebuilding isn't stripping your team of all talent and trying to rebuild it with draft picks and undrafted guys.

The core players who make up the identity of the team are on the wrong side of thirty (LJ, Gonzo, and Waters). We have decent to good young players in Thigpen, Albert, Bowe, Bradley, DJ, Flowers, Carr, and Leggett. We have project players in Cottam, Charles, Robinson, and Dorsey. Am I wrong that we need new starters at the eleven positions I stated? Do you want to go into next season with Jones, McIntosh, Hali, Tank, Boone, Boiman, Niswanger, etc. as our starters?

Do you think rebuilding is holding onto a malcontent RB on the wrong side of 30 who's an infraction away from a year long suspension? Or Surtain, DeMorrio Williams, Donnie Edwards, Devard Darling, Damon Huard, Page, and Webb? Are any of these guys part of the Chiefs long term future?

Right now, on our team, the only players that we drafted who are of any use are Carr, Flowers, Pollard, Bowe, and Albert. We have mostly terrible starters on our OL and front seven, which are the most crucial positions on a team after QB. Chan Gailey has turned lead into gold on offense and made up for our OL weaknesses by running the spread. Our defense is getting torched by every decent QB who tries because we can't get a pass rush.

How, exactly, does what I'm suggesting (cutting old, overpriced, useless players, drafting well, and signing good young players) differ from how good teams are built? Why don't you think about it for a while before mouthing off again.

Again, you don't know what you're talking about. Even though texaschief is wrong about most things, at least he knows something about football. You apparently don't.

Big Daddy Tek
12-18-2008, 04:17 PM
How, exactly, am I dumping our rebuilding project by cutting our overpriced FAs, bring in younger FAs at key positions, and drafting better? What do you think rebuilding actually is? Believe it or not, rebuilding isn't stripping your team of all talent and trying to rebuild it with draft picks and undrafted guys.

The core players who make up the identity of the team are on the wrong side of thirty (LJ, Gonzo, and Waters). We have decent to good young players in Thigpen, Albert, Bowe, Bradley, DJ, Flowers, Carr, and Leggett. We have project players in Cottam, Charles, Robinson, and Dorsey. Am I wrong that we need new starters at the eleven positions I stated? Do you want to go into next season with Jones, McIntosh, Hali, Tank, Boone, Boiman, Niswanger, etc. as our starters?

Do you think rebuilding is holding onto a malcontent RB on the wrong side of 30 who's an infraction away from a year long suspension? Or Surtain, DeMorrio Williams, Donnie Edwards, Devard Darling, Damon Huard, Page, and Webb? Are any of these guys part of the Chiefs long term future?

Right now, on our team, the only players that we drafted who are of any use are Carr, Flowers, Pollard, Bowe, and Albert. We have mostly terrible starters on our OL and front seven, which are the most crucial positions on a team after QB. Chan Gailey has turned lead into gold on offense and made up for our OL weaknesses by running the spread. Our defense is getting torched by every decent QB who tries because we can't get a pass rush.

How, exactly, does what I'm suggesting (cutting old, overpriced, useless players, drafting well, and signing good young players) differ from how good teams are built? Why don't you think about it for a while before mouthing off again.

Again, you don't know what you're talking about. Even though texaschief is wrong about most things, at least he knows something about football. You apparently don't.

Keep up the facade JM. Ignore the fact that you want to flush 20 mil. No one is saying that those positions should not be replaced. The problem is, you dont understand that this is not possible. Players will be moved around, but not at all how you have it workled out. LJ isnt getting cut either. I would say that you dont know what your talking about, but this - "your stupid", "no your stupid" sh!t is getting old. How about we agree to disagree........ ******.

jmlamerson
12-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Keep up the facade JM. Ignore the fact that you want to flush 20 mil. No one is saying that those positions should not be replaced. The problem is, you dont understand that this is not possible. Players will be moved around, but not at all how you have it workled out. LJ isnt getting cut either. I would say that you dont know what your talking about, but this - "your stupid", "no your stupid" sh!t is getting old. How about we agree to disagree........ you jackoff.

I never said that you were stupid, just that you don't know much about football. You keep throwing insults around, not me. I just posted what I thought should be done with the Chiefs - you're the one who responded with insults. Do you really expect people to take abuse from the likes of you?

It is very possible to cut the bad players we have, sign good players, and draft well. Either you don't understand what I am saying, or you are ignoring it.

We're not shelling out an additional $29.3M - it would be dead cap space for bonuses already paid out. This isn't the NBA. We save actual money because we don't have to pay the salaries of these deadbeats next year. All cutting these players does is redice our cap flexibility in signing FAs and rookies. And since we are going to be so massively under the cap in 2009, especially with the cuts, it will not matter unless were are trying to sign a massive number of FAs and we somehow get the top three picks of the draft.

I don't want to have $29.3M of dead cap space in 2009, but those players we could cut have no value to our team. LJ is a clubhouse cancer. Huard is washed up. Croyle can't stay healthy. Surtain, Darling, Williams, and Edwards are a waste of roster space.

If we keep these players, we're paying tens of millions of dollars in salaries that we should not pay. As we have the cap flexibility to take the cap hit in 2009, we should do that instead of paying the salaries.

Now that you know how the salary cap works and the impact of cutting these players, does it finally make sense?

Big Daddy Tek
12-18-2008, 05:45 PM
I never said that you were stupid, just that you don't know much about football. You keep throwing insults around, not me. I just posted what I thought should be done with the Chiefs - you're the one who responded with insults. Do you really expect people to take abuse from the likes of you?

It is very possible to cut the bad players we have, sign good players, and draft well. Either you don't understand what I am saying, or you are ignoring it.

We're not shelling out an additional $29.3M - it would be dead cap space for bonuses already paid out. This isn't the NBA. We save actual money because we don't have to pay the salaries of these deadbeats next year. All cutting these players does is redice our cap flexibility in signing FAs and rookies. And since we are going to be so massively under the cap in 2009, especially with the cuts, it will not matter unless were are trying to sign a massive number of FAs and we somehow get the top three picks of the draft.

I don't want to have $29.3M of dead cap space in 2009, but those players we could cut have no value to our team. LJ is a clubhouse cancer. Huard is washed up. Croyle can't stay healthy. Surtain, Darling, Williams, and Edwards are a waste of roster space.

If we keep these players, we're paying tens of millions of dollars in salaries that we should not pay. As we have the cap flexibility to take the cap hit in 2009, we should do that instead of paying the salaries.

Now that you know how the salary cap works and the impact of cutting these players, does it finally make sense?

Thanx for the education JM. Oh yeah, before I go. Which of your players are being cut before June 1st and which ones will be cut after? The cap hit will change depending on when it happens. And I was wondering how you were able to figure out what their cap hits were? You would have to look at every one of their contracts (the actual annual breakdown, not just the total) And then figure out how much has already been paid and what hasn't. Most deals are "back loaded" meaning that the majority of the salary is played later, which is why releasing a new contract player is so devastating. Then you would take their signing bonus figure and divide that into the number of years they signed for originally. Once you had that number than you would multiply that by how many years were left. Then add that number to your hit. You might have done all that, If you did, Im a little worried, but more power to ya! This is just the beginning. What kind of Incentive payments did your released players have?Where they likely to be earned or unlikely to be earned. Those are real terms JM. Were they already earned and how did that break down over the remainder of the contract. You can pay for those after this season also. What about all the players that you re-signed? How much did you pay them, what was the breakdown and what was their signing bonus? Thats gonna change your cap room too. Thanx for the lesson.

PS- You'll know when I'm tryin' to insult you!:mob: :fighting0030: :fighting0087:

texaschief
12-18-2008, 09:31 PM
It is very possible to cut the bad players we have, sign good players, and draft well.

With the cap hit you've accrued, it's NOT possible to sign good player(S) in 2009. A good play(er)... maybe. "Drafting well" is easier said than done. You SEVERELY underrate the players we have already drafted, ESPECIALLY the DTs. We HAVE drafted well and thanks to Clark Hunt, we're going to get to see those players develop over the next couple years without cutting ties too quickly.

This entire season, you've been railing against the talent already on this team and think we should cut most of our past three drafts because according to you, "all but 4 are busts." All season you've been wanting us to sign any and every free agent under the sun. But now, with you actually seeing that we'd take a 30 million dollar cap hit, AT LEAST, you're ok with going into next season with the SAME EXACT TEAM we have this year, plus a couple new rookies, just so we could cut a few poor contracts?

This is not a step forward. I'm sorry.

The way these contracts are structured, the best thing to do, would be to cut each of these players before their last contract year and avoid such enormous cap penalties. The contracts are made specifically FOR "cap flexibility." That's one of the reasons why we have so much cap space this off season.

This entire thread has gotten out of hand. It really doesn't matter what the fans think they want, they're going to rebuild through the draft, just the way they did this past year. They might sign two or three free agents each year, but it would be only to plug a couple holes and not to build the foundation. I'm excited that Mr. Hunt is committed to the path that we are currently on. It's the correct way to build a football team. I honestly don't know enough about many of the candidates that we're looking at for GM, but as long as Hunt hires a guy who sticks to the plan, I'm all for it.

Luckily, that looks to be the road we're on.

theaxeeffect4311
12-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Thanx for the education JM. Oh yeah, before I go. Which of your players are being cut before June 1st and which ones will be cut after? The cap hit will change depending on when it happens. And I was wondering how you were able to figure out what their cap hits were? You would have to look at every one of their contracts (the actual annual breakdown, not just the total) And then figure out how much has already been paid and what hasn't. Most deals are "back loaded" meaning that the majority of the salary is played later, which is why releasing a new contract player is so devastating. Then you would take their signing bonus figure and divide that into the number of years they signed for originally. Once you had that number than you would multiply that by how many years were left. Then add that number to your hit. You might have done all that, If you did, Im a little worried, but more power to ya! This is just the beginning. What kind of Incentive payments did your released players have?Where they likely to be earned or unlikely to be earned. Those are real terms JM. Were they already earned and how did that break down over the remainder of the contract. You can pay for those after this season also. What about all the players that you re-signed? How much did you pay them, what was the breakdown and what was their signing bonus? Thats gonna change your cap room too. Thanx for the lesson.

PS- You'll know when I'm tryin' to insult you!:mob: :fighting0030: :fighting0087:

I agree with TexasChief that this thread has gotten out of hand. However, a few things need to be cleared up. First of all, more than likely there will be cuts. I know it is crazy to waste millions of dollars, but with a new GM and potentially a new head coach, the team will take another transformation. Now, you say the team won't do such a thing because it would cost millions. Well, if we have so much cap room, then this would be the best time to lose those players. Let's look at LJ. You said he signed a deal worth nearly 50 million. So you would rather keep the player who is no longer playing at a high level and pay him the entire contract instead of cutting him and only paying him a portion of the contract? The signing bonus is the only guaranteed money. So even though it's 19 million or whatever, you take the hit so you can have that freedom the season after that.

Now, I don't think JM has all the answers since he does not give enough credit to the players we already have. However, players like Surtain, LJ, and MacIntosh will probably be gone after season. You have to see that this could possibly happen, and it won't be the end of the franchise.

jmlamerson
12-19-2008, 10:17 AM
The way these contracts are structured, the best thing to do, would be to cut each of these players before their last contract year and avoid such enormous cap penalties. The contracts are made specifically FOR "cap flexibility." That's one of the reasons why we have so much cap space this off season.

This entire thread has gotten out of hand. It really doesn't matter what the fans think they want, they're going to rebuild through the draft, just the way they did this past year. They might sign two or three free agents each year, but it would be only to plug a couple holes and not to build the foundation. I'm excited that Mr. Hunt is committed to the path that we are currently on. It's the correct way to build a football team. I honestly don't know enough about many of the candidates that we're looking at for GM, but as long as Hunt hires a guy who sticks to the plan, I'm all for it.

Luckily, that looks to be the road we're on.

Only time will tell on this and we'll have to agree to disagree until we see what the new GM does.

You are wrong about two things in particular:

1. I never said that we should cut most of the past three drafts. I said we shouldn't resign them when their rookie contracts are up. The only guy I said to cut from any of our past three drafts is Croyle.

2. If we get someone in demand (Polian, Pioli), we're not staying the course. If we get a CP lackey, we will. And if we get a CP lackey, we're going to keep losing.

jmlamerson
12-19-2008, 10:21 AM

No problem. If you want to know further about the difference between cap hits and actual salaries, let me know and I'll teach you further.

I'm glad you obviously read up on the subject between posts, and you now have rudimentary knowlegde of how the salary cap works.

If you keep reading up on the subject, maybe one day you'll know what you're talking about.

texaschief
12-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Only time will tell on this and we'll have to agree to disagree until we see what the new GM does.

You are wrong about two things in particular:

1. I never said that we should cut most of the past three drafts. I said we shouldn't resign them when their rookie contracts are up. The only guy I said to cut from any of our past three drafts is Croyle.

2. If we get someone in demand (Polian, Pioli), we're not staying the course. If we get a CP lackey, we will. And if we get a CP lackey, we're going to keep losing.

Hunt isn't going to hire somebody who doesn't agree with what the organization is doing. So, if Polian or Pioli are hired, they're going to have to agree with what has already been started. If they aren't hired, you're probably right about them. I realize you fail to see the success of the plan in place, but that really doesn't surprise me. Most people who don't know much about football can't see it either. You're not alone.

theaxeeffect4311
12-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Hunt isn't going to hire somebody who doesn't agree with what the organization is doing. So, if Polian or Pioli are hired, they're going to have to agree with what has already been started. If they aren't hired, you're probably right about them. I realize you fail to see the success of the plan in place, but that really doesn't surprise me. Most people who don't know much about football can't see it either. You're not alone.

Would you clarify what the plan in place is since you obviously know more than the rest of us?

jap1
12-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Would you clarify what the plan in place is since you obviously know more than the rest of us?

Rebuild through the draft is the plan that is in place. Hunt has said multiple times that he supports the "youth movement" as it has been dubbed.

chief31
12-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Rebuild through the draft is the plan that is in place. Hunt has said multiple times that he supports the "youth movement" as it has been dubbed.

The removal of CP suggests that the plan in place is already being considered a failure.

That might not be the case. But it definitely looks like it. When you start getting rid of management, especiallly when it is at the top, the statement is that things have gone wrong.

Big Daddy Tek
12-19-2008, 08:46 PM
No problem. If you want to know further about the difference between cap hits and actual salaries, let me know and I'll teach you further.

I'm glad you obviously read up on the subject between posts, and you now have rudimentary knowlegde of how the salary cap works.

If you keep reading up on the subject, maybe one day you'll know what you're talking about.

The point JM, is that I laid out the only way that you could have succesfully calculated what your cap number would be if you made all of your stupid moves. Considering that you didnt do all that, your calculation is purely fictional as usual.

nigeriannightmare
12-19-2008, 11:40 PM

However, as a GM wouldn't you want control of football operations, meaning evaluating every player and every coach. If the new GM is being brought in to follow through with what Carl and Herm are doing, then Carl resigning is a relatively moot point. I am gonna have to agree with others on the board, the resignation of Carl is a huge sign that Clark is not happy with the current situation no matter how you want to sugar coat the youth thing. A new GM means a new direction, then why hire somebody if Clark wants to follow the design that Carl and Herm have laid out. If in fact Clark wants to stay the course he should just be the GM or give Herm both titles of GM/HC.

texaschief
12-19-2008, 11:57 PM
The removal of CP suggests that the plan in place is already being considered a failure.

That might not be the case. But it definitely looks like it. When you start getting rid of management, especiallly when it is at the top, the statement is that things have gone wrong.

However, as a GM wouldn't you want control of football operations, meaning evaluating every player and every coach. If the new GM is being brought in to follow through with what Carl and Herm are doing, then Carl resigning is a relatively moot point. I am gonna have to agree with others on the board, the resignation of Carl is a huge sign that Clark is not happy with the current situation no matter how you want to sugar coat the youth thing. A new GM means a new direction, then why hire somebody if Clark wants to follow the design that Carl and Herm have laid out. If in fact Clark wants to stay the course he should just be the GM or give Herm both titles of GM/HC.

It's been said by Hunt that the decision was made for CP to retire earlier this season, perhaps even as early as this past summer. His contract ended after the 2009 season which would have rendered him a lame duck this off season. You don't want your team seeing the decisions being made for the future by a guy who wouldn't be there the following year. You NEVER want a lame duck running any kind of organization.

In normal circumstances, I would agree that a change at GM would indicate a perceived sense of failure by ownership. Just not in this case IMO. Hunt seems to endorse everything Herm believes. If ANYTHING, I would say Carl didn't like that plan and expressed this vehemently to Hunt. I think that is what ultimately led to his demise. Peterson wanted to sign crappy free agents like he always had and the ownership and coaching wanted to go in another direction.

The more I read about the situation and the more I listen to Hunt speak about Peterson's resignation, the more I believe this is closer to how things went down.

Big Daddy Tek
12-20-2008, 12:25 AM
It's been said by Hunt that the decision was made for CP to retire earlier this season, perhaps even as early as this past summer. His contract ended after the 2009 season which would have rendered him a lame duck this off season. You don't want your team seeing the decisions being made for the future by a guy who wouldn't be there the following year. You NEVER want a lame duck running any kind of organization.

In normal circumstances, I would agree that a change at GM would indicate a perceived sense of failure by ownership. Just not in this case IMO. Hunt seems to endorse everything Herm believes. If ANYTHING, I would say Carl didn't like that plan and expressed this vehemently to Hunt. I think that is what ultimately led to his demise. Peterson wanted to sign crappy free agents like he always had and the ownership and coaching wanted to go in another direction.

The more I read about the situation and the more I listen to Hunt speak about Peterson's resignation, the more I believe this is closer to how things went down.

I agree with you completly Texas. Earlier in the season I heard that Clark had taken a real liking to Herm and alot of people inside felt that Carl was feeling stepped on by Herm. I actually wrote a thread about this a couple of months ago.

theaxeeffect4311
12-20-2008, 03:10 AM

I think the point that everyone is missing is that every team builds through the draft. No mater who becomes the GM, the team will continue to build through the draft.

However, young free agents can help the youth movement as well because they could be an instant star unlike a rookie.

As far as Herm's job goes, we will find out if his job is safe depending on who Hunt hires.

jap1
12-20-2008, 03:19 AM

I also agree. I have read a number of articles that claim that CP hated the idea of the youth movement and is the reason it didnt start when Herm got here 2 seasons ago. Supposedly he wanted to continue the policy of bringing old free agents here to die.

I also read the Herm went over CPs head straight to Hunt to get some moves done.

To Chief31, I agree that it is a bad sign, but a few things make me think it isn't as bad. First, the rumors I stated above. Second, Hunt didn't want to come in to the ownership and start firing people right away. People would say he doesn't know what he is doing and/or that it is an insult to his father to come in and start firing people his dad thought were competent.

Anyways, all of this is speculation and hopefully we will see what direction the team takes toward success :yahoo: in January.

jap1
12-20-2008, 03:29 AM
I think the point that everyone is missing is that every team builds through the draft. No mater who becomes the GM, the team will continue to build through the draft.

However, young free agents can help the youth movement as well because they could be an instant star unlike a rookie.

As far as Herm's job goes, we will find out if his job is safe depending on who Hunt hires.

Agreed. Hopefully, the new GM isnt a CP clone that thinks a 30-yr-old has-been or never-was is going to anchor our line or be the MLB or something.

I dont think young FAs are and the youth movement are mutually exclusive.

nigeriannightmare
12-21-2008, 05:54 PM

If what you say is ture then what GM would want to come in under the circumstance that they would have to follow a plan that they did not creat or necessarily agree with. I would think it would be hard to lure someone away, especially from a top tier organization, to come here and not have much say.

texaschief
12-21-2008, 06:04 PM
If what you say is ture then what GM would want to come in under the circumstance that they would have to follow a plan that they did not creat or necessarily agree with. I would think it would be hard to lure someone away, especially from a top tier organization, to come here and not have much say.

What? I'm not saying you have to force this strategy on Pioli or whomever. I'm saying Hunt probably isn't going to hire a GM who doesn't agree with the strategy. You act like being a GM for this franchise is something nobody would touch with a ten foot pole. That's ridiculous. There will be plenty of candidates out there for the Chiefs to choose from.

There will only be 3-5 teams out there who will be looking for new GMs at the most and like 20-30 candidates to fill those positions. Out of the franchises looking for a new GM, the Chiefs position will be the most coveted.

Bike
12-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Hunt has already stated that he will make the final decision on Herm, not the new GM. Not good. A new gm will want to bring in his own coaching staff. That being said, Hunt is already singling out candidates.

theaxeeffect4311
12-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Hunt has already stated that he will make the final decision on Herm, not the new GM. Not good. A new gm will want to bring in his own coaching staff. That being said, Hunt is already singling out candidates.

I see what you mean, but Hunt also chooses who becomes the GM. You will be able to tell if he wants Herm fired by who he chooses for GM. I think he will choose someone who wants Herm fired as well, that way the decision does not look like it came from Hunt. I think Hunt wants to give the impression that this was bound to happen (like how Carl and him have been talking about his resignation all season), not that he is cleaning house.

nigeriannightmare
12-22-2008, 10:11 PM
What? I'm not saying you have to force this strategy on Pioli or whomever. I'm saying Hunt probably isn't going to hire a GM who doesn't agree with the strategy. You act like being a GM for this franchise is something nobody would touch with a ten foot pole. That's ridiculous. There will be plenty of candidates out there for the Chiefs to choose from.

There will only be 3-5 teams out there who will be looking for new GMs at the most and like 20-30 candidates to fill those positions. Out of the franchises looking for a new GM, the Chiefs position will be the most coveted.

Why can't you just accept he fact that there is a good chance the new GM will push to get his own guy in. And second, never said no one would touch it with a ten foot pole, just saying that the deal is gonna have to be sweet. I mean we gave up a fourth round draft choice for Herm, which in your eyes may have been worth it but not mine. I think that the new GM is gonna have a sweet deal, that will put some heat on your coveted HC....finally.

Chiefster
12-22-2008, 11:45 PM
My understanding is that we have tons of cap money; it'd be nice if we don't waste it on subpar talent.

texaschief
12-23-2008, 03:19 AM
Why can't you just accept he fact that there is a good chance the new GM will push to get his own guy in. And second, never said no one would touch it with a ten foot pole, just saying that the deal is gonna have to be sweet. I mean we gave up a fourth round draft choice for Herm, which in your eyes may have been worth it but not mine. I think that the new GM is gonna have a sweet deal, that will put some heat on your coveted HC....finally.

Why would you re-start the rebuilding process? That's just stupid and would set the franchise back again. But hey, that seems to be the trend. As soon as something starts going right, we need to change the direction and destroy it all over again.

theaxeeffect4311
12-23-2008, 03:43 AM
Why would you re-start the rebuilding process? That's just stupid and would set the franchise back again. But hey, that seems to be the trend. As soon as something starts going right, we need to change the direction and destroy it all over again.

Why would it be restarting the process? Because we want to bring in better coaching and assistants? I say that is going to help the process. With or without Herm, this team is going to have a better season next year. So this would be the BEST time to change coaching.

nigeriannightmare
12-23-2008, 12:41 PM

Why do you keep putting words in my mouth. I agree with you that the team is closer than most think to being a playoff contender. Didn't know that Herm was the only one capable of re-building a football team since he has done it soo many times before. Dude, I am just trying to get you to say that Herm may not be the complete answer in the rebuild.

I H8 Every Team But KC
12-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Not including rookie contracts for those rookies coming in from the 2009 draft, these players have contracts with the Chiefs NEXT season. If the trend continues, the estimated salary cap for 2009 is $121.8 million. These salary cap figures are based on the contracts that they sign. They are not factored in with their "Cap Hit." Usually, a player's "Cap Hit" is larger than their salary number.

Albert, Branden- 493,750
Barth, Connor- 385k
Battle, Jackie- 460k
Boone, Alfonso- 1.4mil
Bowe, Dwayne- 460k
Bradley, Mark- 620k
Carnahan, Andrew- 385k
Carr, Brandon-385k
Charles, Jamaal- 385k
Colclough, Ricardo- 620k
Colquitt, Dustin- 900k
Cottam, Brad- 385k
Cox, Mike-385k
Croyle, Brodie- 530K
Darling, Devard- 1mil
Dorsey, Glenn- 385k
Edwards, Donnie- 5mil
Edwards, Ron- 1.5mil
Flowers, Brandon-385k
Franklin, Will-385k
Gafford, Thomas-385k
Gatewood, Curtis-385k
Gonzalez, Tony- 4mil
Gray, Quinn-750k
Hali, Tamba-940k
Huard, Damon-2mil
Johnson, Derrick-1mil
Johnson, Larry-4.5mil
Johnston, Brian-385k
Leggett, Maurice-385k
Macklin, David- 745k
McBride, Turk-460k
McIntosh, Damion-2.1mil
Merritt, Mike-385k
Morgan, DaJuan-385k
Pollard, Bernard-530k
Richardson, Barry-385k
Robinson, Kevin-385k
Smith, Kolby-460k
Smith, Wade-620k
Studebaker, Andy-385k
Surtain, Pat-7mil
Taylor, Herb-460k
Thigpen, Tyler-460K
Tyler, Demarcus-460k
Washington, Tavares-385k
Waters, Brian- 3.6mil
Williams, Demario-1mil

Total committed salary for the 2009 season is:
$51,743,750

Not including the "cap hit" figures and signing bonuses for rookies, the Chiefs will have somewhere around $65 million in cap room to play with. The bargaining agreement requires teams to spend AT LEAST 86% of their salary cap. That figure comes out to be roughly $99.76 million if the cap est. is correct. "Cap Hit" numbers and signing bonuses with eat up a big portion of the $40 million the Chiefs have to spend, but that still leaves a big number for the Chiefs to make up just to get in compliance with the NFL/NFLPA agreement.

Some names the Chiefs will have to look at just from their own crop of free agents, will be:
Jason Babin- Starting DE
Rocky Boiman- Starting LB
Adrian Jones- Backup OG
Jon McGraw- Backup S
Rudy Niswanger- Starting C
Jarrad Page- Starting S
Pat Thomas- Backup LB
Jeff Webb- WR

Just from that list, you're looking at having to either re-sign or replace 4 or 5 starters to go along with the holes we already have.

Let's say we let all our free agents walk. What are we left with?

Defense:
LE- OPEN
LT- Tyler
RT- Dorsey
RE- Hali
LOLB- OPEN
MLB- OPEN
ROLB- D. Johnson
LCB- Carr/Leggett
RCB- Flowers
SS- Pollard
FS- OPEN

Offense:
WR- Bowe
LT- Albert/Taylor/OPEN
LG- Waters/OPEN
C- OPEN/Waters
RG- OPEN/Albert
RT- OPEN/Taylor/Albert
TE- Gonzo/Cottam
WR- Bradley
QB- Thigpen/OPEN
FB- Cox
RB- Johnson/Charles

Special
K-Barth
P-Colquitt
KR-Robinson/Charles

That leaves us with potentially 4 holes on defense and 3 holes on offense if we go with Thigpen. 7 holes to fill with either the guys we have, free agents or the 2009 draft class.

To recap, we'll have roughly $25-35 million in cap space. We're going to be drafting in the top 5 in April. We will have a new GM. We will have 7 holes to fill.

On offense, we're going to need a:
Center
OG and/or
OT

On defense, we're going to need a:
DE
OLB
MLB
S

You are the new GM. Go have fun.

I see right now that Surtain & D. Edwards are gone. Wow, what a cap number :(