PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs officially locked into top 3

texaschief
12-21-2008, 06:54 PM
With the Bengals' win today, even if the Chiefs beat them next week, the Bengals can only lose 12 games because of their tie with Philly. That automatically puts the Chiefs in front of them no matter the outcome next week. The Seahawks just beat the Jets which gives them 4 wins. They're out. As of this writing, the Raiders are up on the Texans by eleven with 1:16 left. They've pretty much locked up their 4th win. They're out.

That leaves the win-less Lions who have clinched the #1 spot and St. Louis who plays the Falcons next week in Atlanta. If both the Chiefs AND Rams lose, I'm not sure who has the weakest schedule. I'm pretty sure they would considering we will only play 3 games against 2 sub-.500 teams. I'd expect our schedule to be ranked among the top as far as strength.

So, unless the Rams can pull of a shocker in Atlanta, the Chiefs are pretty much locked in the #3 spot.

Who do y'all like?

greg3564
12-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Depressing to think we're in the same company as the Lions. Where did it all go so wrong? :mob:

D.A.S.
12-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Quarterback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We need a QB. Thigpen is probably suffering from TQS (Temporary Quarterback Syndrome-when a backup comes in at QB because of injury and and plays great then next season can't play at all). I've seen that to many times to want anything but a QB. And even if Thigpen doesn't have TQS what is the damage in having a backup QB you can trade for a first round pick and maybe more to several NFL teams? Besides that, a QB who runs as much as Thigpen is bound to get injured and we'd need a good backup.
I'd look for a DE in the second round and a DT in the third.

texaschief
12-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Depressing to think we're in the same company as the Lions. Where did it all go so wrong? :mob:

Peterson and Vermeil drafted poorly and let this team get too damn old to compete. So, I'd say after our 2003 season.

texaschief
12-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Quarterback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We need a QB. Thigpen is probably suffering from TQS (Temporary Quarterback Syndrome-when a backup comes in at QB because of injury and and plays great then next season can't play at all). I've seen that to many times to want anything but a QB. And even if Thigpen doesn't have TQS what is the damage in having a backup QB you can trade for a first round pick and maybe more to several NFL teams? Besides that, a QB who runs as much as Thigpen is bound to get injured and we'd need a good backup.
I'd look for a DE in the second round and a DT in the third.

No. We should NOT take a QB in the first round. First off, there won't be one worth taking. Stafford throws too many picks in COLLEGE to think he'll be a great NFL QB. Especially behind the current O-line if we don't run the spread. Also, there is talk about the new CBA putting a cap on rookie contracts. I'd hate to be the last team that gave a huge contract to a bust like Stafford would probably be in KC.

Coach
12-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Here are some 2009 College Player Rankings. I really have no idea what the Chiefs will do with the #3 pick. I guess any 2-13 team could use help in many places.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/prospects/

texaschief
12-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Here are some 2009 College Player Rankings. I really have no idea what the Chiefs will do with the #3 pick. I guess any 2-13 team could use help in many places.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/prospects/

trade down and fill holes. that's the best thing to do. trade LJ and/or Gonzo and get more picks. Hell, trade DJ if you can get a high pick for him. I wouldn't mind getting a completely new LB corp. DJ has been disappointing thus far and if we could parlay him into a late 1st or early 2nd, then I'd be ok with it.

This team needs another draft like the one they had last year. But i'd spend a little more money in free agency to try and fill some holes than they did last year with just Williams.

Coach
12-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Can the Chiefs pass on Crabtree if he is still there?

I'd be shocked if the Lions didn't take a QB with the 1st pick.
The Rams almost have to take a LT.

That means Crabtree falls right into our laps. He is probably the best player in the draft. I know there are bigger positions of need, but how do you pass that up? I'd also be willing to bet someone would be willing to trade up for that kind of talent.

Bike
12-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Can the Chiefs pass on Crabtree if he is still there?

I'd be shocked if the Lions didn't take a QB with the 1st pick.
The Rams almost have to take a LT.

That means Crabtree falls right into our laps. He is probably the best player in the draft. I know there are bigger positions of need, but how do you pass that up? I'd also be willing to bet someone would be willing to trade up for that kind of talent.
I don't see us taking Crabtree - too many holes to fill on the lines. I definetely see us trading down...or getting Orabko fm Texas..

Coach
12-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Orapko does look nasty. I watched DJ a little closer today. I don't know that he is the answer for our MLB spot. He seemed to get a good jump, but didn't look that fast. That could have something to do with it being 10 degrees though. I say that because the LB out of USC, Rey Maulauga looks incredible, 2008 version of Junior Seau. Move DJ back outside and throw Rey inside. I guess it depends on what kind of DE we could get in the 2nd rd.

It would be fun to have Crabtree, but I agree this team needs to keep teams under 30. Scoring hasn't been our issue for the last 6-7 weeks.

Bike
12-21-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure dj is our mlb either. He may have the physical characteristics, but doesn't have the instinct to get to the football. But I also judge mlb's on how Singletary use to play the position...

balto
12-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Crabtree has great hands and size, but seems kinda slow (if his projected speed is correct)

I HATE to see us use the 3rd overall on a DE or MLB that most in this draft would take a few years to make a impact. The DE's seem small and will probably need a few years. Rey Maualuga MLB would honestly be my pick for the ONE DE/MLB that could come into the NFL and make a impact right away.

We need to do what ever we can on getting Suggs or Peppers in FA so we wouldn't have to take a risk on one of the DE's with our 3rd overall pick.

A stud MLB in FA would also help. Plus if we do get our DE in FA and still need a MLB from the draft I just keep finding it hard to think Rey Maualuga is worth the 3rd overall.

My choice would be to get our DE/MLB in FA then trade down for Duke Robinson guard and get an extra 2nd and 3rd. OR the Pats first and both there 2nd's. Then grab Alex Mack Center with our 2nd pick.

OR if we can't trade down then I guess we really have to take a DE or MLB if we don't get them in FA, but if we get them both and can not trade down Hmmmm I say the BPA.

Also I agree if we drafted a QB we coudl always trade them later on, BUT you said "what is the damage" of doing something like this? Well if we don't get our DE/MLB in FA then "The Damage" is us not getting our Pass/run guy on D that we need more then anything.

Great points on each side, but I say only draft a QB if we don't get at least our DE OR MLB in FA.

theaxeeffect4311
12-21-2008, 09:51 PM
I think once the Chiefs improve the linebacking core, DJ will look good. I think he does better on the outside. If (that's a big IF) we can trade down, that is probably what the Chiefs will do. They will probably go after one of the top linebackers if they can move down. If they stay where they are, I see them taking an OT. I like Michael Oher out of the three top OTs.

texaschief
12-21-2008, 09:59 PM
If we could get a good DE in free agency, how about trading down to grab Aaron Curry, OLB Wake Forest and then Spikes at MLB in the second? In the third, we could grab Antoine Caldwell at C and push Niswanger over to G. I wouldn't mind that LB corp either.

Bike
12-21-2008, 10:01 PM
If we could get a good DE in free agency, how about trading down to grab Aaron Curry, OLB Wake Forest and then Spikes at MLB in the second? In the third, we could grab Antoine Caldwell at C and push Niswanger over to G. I wouldn't mind that LB corp either.
Agreed but I think Spikes will be gone in 1st round..

theaxeeffect4311
12-21-2008, 10:03 PM

I really like Aaron Curry. He looks like he could solve some problems for us. I don't think that Spikes will be there in the second round, but instead, how about picking up Jonathan Vilma from FA. I doubt the Saints will re-sign him because they will have to give up a first round for him if they do.

And for DE, Terrell Suggs. He has a high motor, brings intensity to the field. and will only be 26 years old at the start of next season. He played DE in college, so the move back will not be bad for him.

texaschief
12-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't mind Suggs, but after doing a little more reading on Vilma, I'm almost positive that he'll hit the free agent market. Vilma was diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) in high school, a bone defect that can cause instability and loose particles in the joint, and this is a possible cause behind his season-ending injury in 2007.

He's going to command a big contract because of his production this season. I doubt the Saints will be willing to give up a 1st round pick and a huge salary as an investment on a guy with that kind of condition. Especially when they could get a much cheaper option with that 1st round pick in the draft. (Lauranitis/Spikes)

That being said, if the Chiefs don't spend outrageously on his contract, I wouldn't mind bringing him in. But if we get rid of Herm, we get rid of the only advantage we would have to get him here.

jap1
12-21-2008, 10:16 PM

If we canot get Curry or Maualuga, another guy that I like is Brian Cushing out of USC. He is an OLB projected as a late 1st round, early 2nd rounder.

theaxeeffect4311
12-21-2008, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't mind Suggs, but after doing a little more reading on Vilma, I'm almost positive that he'll hit the free agent market. Vilma was diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) in high school, a bone defect that can cause instability and loose particles in the joint, and this is a possible cause behind his season-ending injury in 2007.

He's going to command a big contract because of his production this season. I doubt the Saints will be willing to give up a 1st round pick and a huge salary as an investment on a guy with that kind of condition. Especially when they could get a much cheaper option with that 1st round pick in the draft. (Lauranitis/Spikes)

That being said, if the Chiefs don't spend outrageously on his contract, I wouldn't mind bringing him in. But if we get rid of Herm, we get rid of the only advantage we would have to get him here.

I don't think Vilma will care about that. But he is still a good player, so I would do what it takes to lock him up for 3-4 years. He will only be 27 years old at the start of next season. What I like most about him is his speed and coverage skills. One of our biggest problems are covering tight ends.

texaschief
12-21-2008, 10:20 PM
If we canot get Curry or Maualuga, another guy that I like is Brian Cushing out of USC. He is an OLB projected as a late 1st round, early 2nd rounder.

"If we can't get them?" We'll have the #3 pick at worst. We can take practically anyone we want.

Also, to answer what Coach said, the best possible thing for the Chiefs is if Crabtree falls to us. He would represent the most value at the #3 spot. Teams will know the Chiefs want to trade down and will probably make any deal they can to get out of that spot. This should drive the price up and the Chiefs could walk away with a huge deal!!!

Coach
12-21-2008, 10:25 PM
1. I'm thinking the Chiefs should get someone that is PROVEN like a Suggs or Peppers in FA so that they immeidately improve their pass rush. They will have to pay through the nose to get them, but if they take a DE with the 3rd pick they would've paid through the nose anyhow on someone that is unproven.

2. Try to trade the 3rd pick in the draft. Using the Draft Pick Value Chart (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9949), if the Chiefs could trade down to around the 10th pick, that could get them an additional 2nd and 4th round pick potentially.
3. They could then use the 10th pick on MLB, Rey Maualuga. They could then get some line help with these additional picks.

This would allow them to address the DE spot, MLB, and the OL. The Chiefs would also still have all of their picks in rounds 2+ to make this team better.

Or.... j/k.

texaschief
12-21-2008, 10:31 PM
1. I'm thinking the Chiefs should get someone that is PROVEN like a Suggs or Peppers in FA so that they immeidately improve their pass rush. They will have to pay through the nose to get them, but if they take a DE with the 3rd pick they would've paid through the nose anyhow on someone that is unproven.

2. Try to trade the 3rd pick in the draft. Using the Draft Pick Value Chart (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9949), if the Chiefs could trade down to around the 10th pick, that could get them an additional 2nd and 4th round pick potentially.
3. They could then use the 10th pick on MLB, Rey Maualuga. They could then get some line help with these additional picks.

This would allow them to address the DE spot, MLB, and the OL. The Chiefs would also still have all of their picks in rounds 2+ to make this team better.

Or.... j/k.

Too bad the Patriots don't need to move up. I'd love to have their 1st, 2 2nds, their 3 and 5th. :lol:

Coach
12-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Too bad the Patriots don't need to move up. I'd love to have their 1st, 2 2nds, their 3 and 5th. :lol:

That would be like when Mike Ditka traded every one of the Saints first days picks away to get Ricky Williams.

theaxeeffect4311
12-21-2008, 10:33 PM

Or.... j/k.

I just don't know who will want to move up. The only team I can think of who would need Crabtree would be the Seahawks and they may try to wait until there pick.

texaschief
12-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Andre Smith and a few other players might be there. Hell, Bradford, Stafford, or some other great player who shoots up the draft board could be there. You never know who's going to want what. The Chiefs are in a great position to trade down.

jap1
12-21-2008, 10:39 PM
"If we can't get them?" We'll have the #3 pick at worst. We can take practically anyone we want.

Also, to answer what Coach said, the best possible thing for the Chiefs is if Crabtree falls to us. He would represent the most value at the #3 spot. Teams will know the Chiefs want to trade down and will probably make any deal they can to get out of that spot. This should drive the price up and the Chiefs could walk away with a huge deal!!!

I meant if we trade down, and cannot get one of them or if we draft a different position earlier. Sorry, should have made that clearer.

Coach
12-21-2008, 10:42 PM
I just don't know who will want to move up. The only team I can think of who would need Crabtree would be the Seahawks and they may try to wait until there pick.

The Bears would love to have Crabtree. They need a WR badly. This gives them a chance to have an Orton/Forte/Crabtree combination. I think most bears fans would die for that.

Andre Smith and a few other players might be there. Hell, Bradford, Stafford, or some other great player who shoots up the draft board could be there. You never know who's going to want what. The Chiefs are in a great position to trade down.

I agree, the Chiefs are in a good place to trade down. The biggest issue will be signability of these draft picks. Things will change a lot depending on what happens in free agency.

jap1
12-21-2008, 10:42 PM
That would be like when Mike Ditka traded every one of the Saints first days picks away to get Ricky Williams.

I would pay to see Belichick in dreadlocks like Ditka's crazy a$$.:lol:

texaschief
12-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Because of the whispers of the rookie cap in the 2010 draft, this year would be the best year to trade down financially speaking as well. Trading down and gaining more picks reduces the risk of paying huge for an enormous bust. While traditionally, you get very few chances to draft in the top 5 and there certainly is some great talent there, I'd rather have a smaller contract on the books until next year and then if we need to, we could move up to the top 5 and take a player with a lot less risk.

theaxeeffect4311
12-21-2008, 10:59 PM
The Bears would love to have Crabtree. They need a WR badly. This gives them a chance to have an Orton/Forte/Crabtree combination. I think most bears fans would die for that.

I agree, the Chiefs are in a good place to trade down. The biggest issue will be signability of these draft picks. Things will change a lot depending on what happens in free agency.

I do not get to watch the Bears often, so I did not know the Bears were looking for a WR. But heck, that is pretty much the best spot to trade down to. I hope it happens.

ChiefsFanFromNY
12-21-2008, 11:09 PM
I hate the Rams. How do you blow that game? We probably just lost our chance to get Andre Smith and that upsets me. He could be a dominant RT or LT. Hopefully we can get into the 2nd spot, but I want the Chiefs to win at the same time. I hate having one of the worst records in the league.

theaxeeffect4311
12-21-2008, 11:34 PM
I hate the Rams. How do you blow that game? We probably just lost our chance to get Andre Smith and that upsets me. He could be a dominant RT or LT. Hopefully we can get into the 2nd spot, but I want the Chiefs to win at the same time. I hate having one of the worst records in the league.

I think Michael Oher is a better LT anyway. Let them take Smith.

texaschief
12-22-2008, 12:12 AM
Hell, if Monroe replaced Albert at LT in college, I'd take him!! lol Albert has been a beast over there all year for a rookie!! I wouldn't mind getting someone who was perceived to be better than him. That would be nice.

theaxeeffect4311
12-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Hell, if Monroe replaced Albert at LT in college, I'd take him!! lol Albert has been a beast over there all year for a rookie!! I wouldn't mind getting someone who was perceived to be better than him. That would be nice.

Monroe does look good. I wouldn't mind which one we go for. Apparently, the Chiefs are very high on Monroe.

texaschief
12-22-2008, 01:06 AM
why do you say that? I haven't seen any connection between the two.

theaxeeffect4311
12-22-2008, 01:48 AM
why do you say that? I haven't seen any connection between the two.

http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/on-the-scouting-trail.html

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2008/12/11/689237/chiefs-take-a-look-at-tack

tornadospotter
12-22-2008, 02:42 AM
Because of the whispers of the rookie cap in the 2010 draft, this year would be the best year to trade down financially speaking as well. Trading down and gaining more picks reduces the risk of paying huge for an enormous bust. While traditionally, you get very few chances to draft in the top 5 and there certainly is some great talent there, I'd rather have a smaller contract on the books until next year and then if we need to, we could move up to the top 5 and take a player with a lot less risk.
The Chiefs New GM comes from Texas!!!!!!!,
I really do not like to say it, but you may be right.
Being the pessimist that I am.:D

texaschief
12-22-2008, 02:46 AM
OUTSTANDING!!! Monroe, Curry AND Rey!!!

I really wouldn't mind taking Monroe even though we have Albert. At least we have something to compare him to. It's a little more of a risk IMO to draft either Oher or Smith because there isn't that relative perspective like we get with Monroe and Albert.

Thanks for the links.

texaschief
12-22-2008, 02:48 AM
The Chiefs New GM comes from Texas!!!!!!!,
I really do not like to say it, but you may be right.
Being the pessimist that I am.:D

HELL YEAH!! I'll take the job!! :D

tornadospotter
12-22-2008, 03:26 AM
HELL YEAH!! I'll take the job!! :D
OK, but if you get the job, I want to be the water boy, with a big salary!:D I can fire up their butts, in case the coaches do not. :D

texaschief
12-22-2008, 03:35 AM
OK, but if you get the job, I want to be the water boy, with a big salary!:D I can fire up their butts, in case the coaches do not. :D

DONE!!

balto
12-22-2008, 11:26 AM
DIBS on the towel boy for the Cheerleaders!!!!

Anyways,

I can think of another team that might being willing to trade up for our 3rd pick.

THE EAGLES

I keep hearing they want a stud LT and they feel that is what they have been missing.

We could trade our 3rd overall for both there 1st rounders (I think like 19th and 29th) AND there 2nd round pick.

We would be loosing about 200 or so draft points, but Hell i would do the deal no question.

Then we could really have a nice draft and we could even try to trade up some spots to get Maualuga or something.

texaschief
12-22-2008, 11:56 AM
DIBS on the towel boy for the Cheerleaders!!!!

Anyways,

I can think of another team that might being willing to trade up for our 3rd pick.

THE EAGLES

I keep hearing they want a stud LT and they feel that is what they have been missing.

We could trade our 3rd overall for both there 1st rounders (I think like 19th and 29th) AND there 2nd round pick.

We would be loosing about 200 or so draft points, but Hell i would do the deal no question.

Then we could really have a nice draft and we could even try to trade up some spots to get Maualuga or something.

I'd do that in a heart beat. But I wouldn't take a 200 pt. hit. They'd have to do something else to make that deficit up. I know it doesn't sound like much, 4th round picks are worth roughly 100 pts, you need to get at least one of them. Moving from 19th to 3rd in the draft is a big jump. The Chiefs franchise and their fanbase have gone through a painful process to get that 3rd spot. You don't give discounts to winning teams who want your pick. This jump is and should be an expensive one for the Eagles. But if they believe they're one solid LT from getting over the hump, then any price should be worth it.

I'd ask for both their 1st rounders, a second, a fourth and a 5th.

balto
12-22-2008, 02:33 PM
If the Eagles trade went down maybe we could trade that 29th pick ANd our 2nd round pick (35th) and move up to like 12th over all. This woudl give us a WAY better chance at getting Maualuga and we woudl still have the 19th overall to get Duke Robinson. Then still have a 2nd rounder with getting The Eagles pick.

If this happened we woudl pretty much of traded this

3rd overall and 35th for (12th, 29th, 51st) Plus if we get the Eagles 4th and 5th like you want hehe.

Pretty much gotta think woudl I rather have

3rd overall AND a top 2nd round pick OR two firsts

theaxeeffect4311
12-22-2008, 05:45 PM
If the Eagles trade went down maybe we could trade that 29th pick ANd our 2nd round pick (35th) and move up to like 12th over all. This woudl give us a WAY better chance at getting Maualuga and we woudl still have the 19th overall to get Duke Robinson. Then still have a 2nd rounder with getting The Eagles pick.

If this happened we woudl pretty much of traded this

3rd overall and 35th for (12th, 29th, 51st) Plus if we get the Eagles 4th and 5th like you want hehe.

Pretty much gotta think woudl I rather have

3rd overall AND a top 2nd round pick OR two firsts

The thing is the Eagle won't trade up. They are in a similar boat we were in a few years ago. They have a lot of key players late in age and you have to wonder if they will re-sign any. More than likely they need a good draft to stay a good team. They need a potential replacement for Dawkins and both tackles. They'll keep their picks to try and find players to fill those big roles.