PDA

View Full Version : I thought Jamaal Charles was suppose to be fast!

Sn@keIze
12-22-2008, 03:53 AM
I was excited when we got him because of his (alleged) speed.

He was supposed to be one of the fastest players in the game.

So how the hell does veteran Yeremiah Bell run him down when Charles has a good lead on him and Bell running from an angle get him?

Yeremiah is a starter and Charles a backup...so I dont want to hear crap bout fatigue or the weather on this one.

(And for those who arent sure bout the play.. the one where JC is lined up as WR and passed to on the inside screen at 11:27 to go in 2nd quarter).

tornadospotter
12-22-2008, 03:59 AM
He lost a step when he lost footing and recovered? NFL, all players has speed of some sort. I think that was enought for bell to get him. If he did not slip, TD.

Sn@keIze
12-22-2008, 05:56 AM
When it came to when both were flat out sprinting tho....Bell chased him down.

If you look at the play again....its obvious that Bell was the faster runner.

jerhart
12-22-2008, 07:22 AM
....what's it matter? It's done..

...we have bigger issues than Jamaal's speed.

Guru
12-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Uh, it's friggin cold? He had a minor slip on a bad field. That minor slip caused by the cold and the bad field slowed him by half a second. That half a second was what the defender needed to catch him.

Pretty simple really.

balto
12-22-2008, 10:40 AM
I was at the game and had a great view of this play at the end.

Anyone there could tell Charles body just was not warmed up. Like he seemed really stiff from the cold weather.

With teh slip at the line and his body being out of normal AND bell being loose and warm from playing every down. If why he caught him. No way he does if its above freezing.

He really just looked cold and stiff to the bone, no flexibility what so ever.

texaschief
12-22-2008, 11:58 AM
I saw the replay on NFL network and that wasn't the runner I saw last year at Texas. He looked really stiff. I don't know if it was just the cold or if it was something else, but that wasn't his fastest, I can assure you.

billb40
12-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Maybe he had to many set of long underwear on.

YZILLA
12-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Had that been another 20 yards he would have pulled away . He was just starting to loosen up at the very last leg of that run.

theaxeeffect4311
12-22-2008, 06:17 PM
I think it has something to do with how the Chiefs use Charles. He should be doing great in this spread offense, yet we are not using him that much. I saw the play and it looked like he was just stiff. Yeah, he may have slipped a little, but he did not look fluid when running. He was not loose once he got on the field. But that may be his fault for not being on the sidelines getting loose. But it was freaking cold outside, so I don't throw too much blame his direction. He is just a rookie.

slc chief
12-22-2008, 07:44 PM
i doubt he will let it happen again. you are either fast or you are not fast and charles is fast

YZILLA
12-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Also the Chiefs were in the Shade the whole game and the Dolphins were in the sun. The Dolphins were running 5 new guys in every other play too. I know how cold it was on the sunny side , it had to be at least 25% colder on the Chiefs side in the shade. It only got colder at the game went on too. I was listening to the game on headphones and they said it went from about 10 degrees at the beginning to 0 degrees at the end with out the wind chill factored in .The wind got stronger towards the end of the game too.

qfactor87
12-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Charles did look kind of awkward when he ran, I think he was just cold; and not used to it.

Guru
12-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Also the Chiefs were in the Shade the whole game and the Dolphins were in the sun. The Dolphins were running 5 new guys in every other play too. I know how cold it was on the sunny side , it had to be at least 25% colder on the Chiefs side in the shade. It only got colder at the game went on too. I was listening to the game on headphones and they said it went from about 10 degrees at the beginning to 0 degrees at the end with out the wind chill factored in .The wind got stronger towards the end of the game too.Yeah, while I was sitting on the sunny side I kept thinking, why did the chiefs choose to put themselves on the south side of the stadium all those years ago. Why have the locker room on that side. heh Screwed themselves.

Chiefster
12-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Yeah, while I was sitting on the sunny side I kept thinking, why did the chiefs choose to put themselves on the south side of the stadium all those years ago. Why have the locker room on that side. heh Screwed themselves.

Yup, sitting in the sun with the wind being blocked by the stadium made it bearable.

I would have liked to have known who was spitting off the middle deck.

Coach
12-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Charles did get run down on that play. But, there is talent on both sides of the ball. Jamaal still made a nice play for a great gain. By the way, Yeremiah Bell shocked a lot of people on that play.
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1062765542&postcount=6

Chiefster
12-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Charles did get run down on that play. But, there is talent on both sides of the ball. Jamaal still made a nice play for a great gain. By the way, Yeremiah Bell shocked a lot of people on that play.
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1062765542&postcount=6

The explanation he gave over the radio is that he had wore extra clothing that for some reason slowed him down; don't know just how much that really had to do with it.

Sn@keIze
12-23-2008, 12:19 AM
this stuff bout the cold is comical..

it was cold for Yeremiah too...and they are the tropical team, not us.

We should benefit from the cold, not them.

The reason Im concerned is because this is the primary reason we got him.

It was still a good play and Im lookin foward to watching the game again...

They are re-airing it on NFL Network Tues. Nite.

theaxeeffect4311
12-23-2008, 04:25 AM

Yeah, but Herm did not practice outside at all last week. He said that when it came to the weather, it is not an advantage for any team but more of a mental challenge. :sign0153:

But you should not be worried about Charles. It's one play on a cold day. Bell was playing more than Charles so he would be loose unlike Charles who came off the bench.

Guru
12-23-2008, 02:27 PM

They are re-airing it on NFL Network Tues. Nite.You are over think it. I'd bet 9 times out of 10 Charles wins that race. Quit looking for a negative in a great play for crying out loud. There is nothing to be concerned about.

Hayvern
12-26-2008, 09:37 PM

Really the cold is a problem for any team these days. These guys do not practice out in the cold all week. Have you seen their training facility? Nice and indoors and I don't care how cold it gets outside, it will never be as cold inside away from the wind and the chill.

No players in the NFL would really say they are "used" to playing in the cold, and KC is hardly in an area where we get that much cold to play in anyway.

yashi
12-29-2008, 10:48 AM
also don't forget that Charles was thought of to have a high ankle sprain last month which doesn't heal fast, but ended up playing the next week... could be that he hasn't been 100% lately.

He's one of the fastest in the league... just had a slow play.