PDA

View Full Version : What should the Chiefs draft?

D.A.S.
12-22-2008, 09:26 PM
What position would you like to see the Chiefs draft this year? I'm not asking players since I don't know college but just the position that is most needed to be adressed through the draft.

RockRocks787
12-22-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd say any DB position should be the first priority.

Coach
12-22-2008, 11:20 PM
If they don't get a DE in free agency, then they have no choice but to go DE. The Chiefs pass rush is anemic. The Chiefs set the record for the least amount of sacks this season, barring a monster game against the Bengals.

Chiefster
12-22-2008, 11:26 PM
If they don't get a DE in free agency, then they have no choice but to go DE. The Chiefs pass rush is anemic. The Chiefs set the record for the least amount of sacks this season, barring a monster game against the Bengals.

Agreed, Jared Allen was sorely missed this year having been conspicuous by his absence.

KottkeKU
12-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Im tellin you, if we draft Keanu Reeves, he will be able to play both DE and QB.

Neo would play RE, and ofcourse Johhny Utah as QB (before he turns into super surfer cop)

but in all seriousness, i would like to see OL or trade down for MLB. someone who can put fear into opposing offenses. I think we need to coach our players up from the defensive line positions. Or sign Suggs from FA. we have talent there. our current coaches just dont know how to play defense, i think they have proved that over the last dozen first or second round d-lineman and d-ends we have screwed over...

ChiefsFanFromNY
12-23-2008, 01:34 AM

Serious post? Secondary has been somewhat of a bright spot this year. The reason they look bad some of the time is because our pass rush in non existent.

I think you take the BPA in the areas of need. And in the top 3 I think that is offensive tackle. I don't think any of the DE's are top 3 material. Maybe OLB Curry is, but when you have a chance to grab a franchise OT, you take him. Albert and the draft pick could be the staple of our offense for the next decade.

texaschief
12-23-2008, 02:56 AM

:wtfdude: :sign0135:

theaxeeffect4311
12-23-2008, 03:57 AM
Im tellin you, if we draft Keanu Reeves, he will be able to play both DE and QB.

Neo would play RE, and ofcourse Johhny Utah as QB (before he turns into super surfer cop)

but in all seriousness, i would like to see OL or trade down for MLB. someone who can put fear into opposing offenses. I think we need to coach our players up from the defensive line positions. Or sign Suggs from FA. we have talent there. our current coaches just dont know how to play defense, i think they have proved that over the last dozen first or second round d-lineman and d-ends we have screwed over...

I agree with all of this except about Keanu. DE? Come on, he would be an absolute monster at inside linebacker.

Suggs would make a great addition at DE. He played it in college, will only be 26 years old, and brings intensity onto the field. Exactly the kind of player the Chiefs need. OT is the only position worth taking that high. But if we can trade down, then yes, take a linebacker. Curry, Maualuga, Laurinaitus, any of those would be great.

KottkeKU
12-23-2008, 02:16 PM
i dont really think theres that many good DE's coming out of the draft this year am i wrong? Atleast top 5 material. Right now, Orakpo and Selvie are the two best. I personally dont think either of them are worthy of a top 3 overall pick. even with our current nfl record lowest sacks in a season. we should be able to find someone in FA or high 2nd round that would be able to step in. Id like to see them sign a DE in the free agent market...i think we are good at DT with Dorsey and Tyler. We just need someone that can COACH them. Hali is starting to get some pressure now. Hopefully he can take this into next season. we have another important draft coming up folks..

lansdale01
12-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Well, lets be honest with ourselves. If we don't have an O-line, we don't move the ball because the qb is being sacked or the hb is getting tackled in the backfield. We haven't put up very many point this year and hopefully that will change this next year. We need O-line adjustments and a new quarterback. Thigpen isn't going to cut it, although he could develop if he was being taught by a decent veteren. As far as Jared Allen goes, glad he's gone. We need folks who are going to build our team, not tear us down. We need COWER immediately and get rid of Herm. Squirmin Herman hasn't cut it and we are looking for big change here, similiar to what Parcells did with Miami. We got rid of the weakest link in Peterson, now bring in someone who can change this organization from the top down. New Coach, new GM, new O-coach, and strengthen our special teams.

chiefmania
12-25-2008, 04:20 PM
The only thing we need to even be considering in the draft & fa is DE and LB. After we have taken care of that we can look at OL and bpa. We have the QB that we need, we do not need to take a shot at an unproven college QB as the nest messiah.

Coach
12-25-2008, 11:09 PM
The only thing we need to even be considering in the draft & fa is DE and LB. After we have taken care of that we can look at OL and bpa. We have the QB that we need, we do not need to take a shot at an unproven college QB as the nest messiah.

This team needs some O-line help as well. Maybe not the first pick, but it needs to be addressed in this draft.

Big Daddy Tek
12-25-2008, 11:31 PM

Did you just say that? OK, Im gonna go on record to say that DB should be the last position to draft, after longsnapper.

Chuck
12-26-2008, 10:14 AM
OK...........QB has to be a first rounder or we go after a proven QB. Thigpen is not the man and never will be.
As far as other needs go............LB's a must, D-line (D-end), O-line (maybe more from free agency), better be looking at some running backs also. Larry is a mess and it wouldn't suprise me to see him gone after this year.(Good Riddens) so now we will need a power back.
Linebackers are a glaring need. Not sure if Derrick Johnson is every going to come around, but maybe can get better with help at other spots. Donnie Edwards may be able to stick around and help teach the young ones but he is about done.
I don't know, this team is a real mess and I hope you guys aren't buying into the fact we are about there. Don't think so yet. Hopefully a new GM and new coach can help make matters much better.

Hayvern
12-26-2008, 09:21 PM

:sign0104:
Seriously? If we have had any defensive play at ALL it is in our secondary, you have to be out of your mind!

Hayvern
12-26-2008, 09:23 PM

We really need to have offensive line. Yeah we have some needs on defense too, but without an offensive line, NO QB stands a chance. None - zip, zero.

Hayvern
12-26-2008, 09:27 PM
OK...........QB has to be a first rounder or we go after a proven QB. Thigpen is not the man and never will be.
As far as other needs go............LB's a must, D-line (D-end), O-line (maybe more from free agency), better be looking at some running backs also. Larry is a mess and it wouldn't suprise me to see him gone after this year.(Good Riddens) so now we will need a power back.
Linebackers are a glaring need. Not sure if Derrick Johnson is every going to come around, but maybe can get better with help at other spots. Donnie Edwards may be able to stick around and help teach the young ones but he is about done.
I don't know, this team is a real mess and I hope you guys aren't buying into the fact we are about there. Don't think so yet. Hopefully a new GM and new coach can help make matters much better.

Wow, it looks like we are going to be at Loggerheads for a while Chuck.

Without an offensive line, we don't dare go after a QB in the first round. Even if you draft one, you will never be able to use him until you get him some protection. That is why we need to pick up at least one starting lineman from the draft and one from Free agency, address the needs at center and right offensive tackle because Gawd only knows how many more Peterbilts Sackintosh can wave past on the right side next season.

I say, considering what is coming out of the draft this season, you go after an offensive lineman, or a top defensive player early. Leave the quarterbacks this year alone, there is none coming out worth a high pick anyway.

Chuck
12-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Your probably right about the O-line. I'll go for getting something in the draft and free agency. I'll also go for getting a QB out of free agency if its the right one. The QB situation at the college level is not real good. I think I really like the kid out of Oklahoma but I know he's not coming out this year. The kid at UCLA is also a stud. Tyler is not the answer to get us where we want to be. Going to have to start somewhere.
Defense is such a mess. Maybe we need a D-coordinater that runs the 3-4 for starters.

loyalchief91
12-26-2008, 10:36 PM
We need a DE.. Jared Allen proved he WAS the man for rushin tha quarterback.. Tamba Hali is horrendous

hermhater
12-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Tyler is the answer at QB for now.

No reason to go drafting a QB right now.

balto
12-26-2008, 11:01 PM
We need a DE and MLB and OL

People keep talking about how we can get 3 studs in FA and honestly if we get 1 of the top FA's I'll be happy. I really do not see us feeling our DE/MLB/OL needs in FA.

What I would like to see:

Sign Suggs "DE" and Haynesworth "DT" in FA

Then trade our 3rd overall pick to like the 6-10th pick to some team that really really want a guy. We would gain a 2nd pick for it as well. The trade down shoudl really get us at least a 2nd and 3rd but to move out of the top 3 (cost of contract) the chiefs might give up that 3rd IF the would take Rey Maualuga "MLB" anyways.

SO now we have our stud MLB and 2 top 10 picks in the 2nd round.

Our first 2nd we take Alex Mack "C" and take Herman Johnson "G" OR Phil Loadholt "OT" which ever one grades out better.

So we got this

Tamba/Haynesworth/Dorsey/Suggs

with Rey Maualuga as our MLB for years to come.

And

Albert/Waters/Mack/Rudy-Herman/Macintosh-Phil

ORRRRR

Sign Suggs and Vilma then draft Curry to play OLB. I really like the idea of Hali/Haynesworth/Dorsey/Suggs and Rey as our MLB. MAN that would be a dream lol

balto
12-26-2008, 11:02 PM
EDIT:***Double posted****

texaschief
12-27-2008, 04:13 AM
I still think signing Suggs and Vilma are the best things for this team financially and the most realistic goal going into free agency.

Signing Haynesworth is overkill and a poor long-term investment IMO. Yeah, he's really turned it up a notch the last couple seasons, but he's going to command a huge contract. He's not someone I'd be willing to spend huge money on considering he'll be 28 next season and his rookie year is THE ONLY year during his seven year career in which he played ALL 17 games. He's averaging 11.4 games a season. That just kinda worries me knowing I'm about to invest THAT kind of money. Plus, I think Tank and Dorsey are going to be studs in the middle. Also, I'd rather spend the money on Asomugha.

I understand the talk of taking a LT with our first pick, but I'd be inclined to stay away from a LT as hard as it might be. Think about this for a second. If I can get a stud guard in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, we would be maximizing the value of our picks. If we take an OT with the 2nd or 3rd pick overall, then we've essentially spent a mid-first round pick on a guard by moving Albert inside. I don't think ANYONE here would be completely against keeping Albert at LT for the next decade or so. I think he's well on his way to being the next Pro Bowl LT for the Chiefs.

The best option, IMO is to either draft Aaron Curry at 3 or trade down to where his value is optimal and draft him there, collecting more picks. Let's say an additional 2nd and 4th. The Chiefs would then have a complete D-line and LB corp. The corners could locked down between Flowers, Carr and Leggett (although Asomugha would be another great signing if the Chiefs could swing it.) Pollard is locked at SS at least for another year. So Page is really the only guy who may not be here as a starter.

So, if the defense is pretty much finished with the free agent signings and the drafting of Curry, we could flip back over to the O-line and take the best guard or RT available and follow that up with the best Center available... or visa versa depending who's sitting there at our 2nd round picks.

After that, I'd say take the best available talent and the guys you know best from a scouting perspective. Drafting for need works, but only in specific occasions. When your team is on the verge of breaking through a specific barrier and you weren't able to fill that need in free agency, then drafting for need could be applicable. In this case, (if all free agents are signed) the Chiefs have only a couple holes to fill at OLB, RT, and Guard/Center. One thing I will say about McIntosh though is that he's really gotten his sh!t together here in the last few weeks. I think it took a little while for him to get his bearings over at RT, but I think he might be developing into a solid RT. Niswanger could be moved to Guard if one isn't taken in the draft and we get a good Center in the draft. Although, again, Wade Smith is starting to make some noise at that RG spot.

Bottom line, the Chiefs' draft needs are going to be moving targets as things play out over this winter and during the spring. It really is way too early to be thinking about which specific holes to fill until the Chiefs at least get out of free agency. If the Chiefs can't get any free agents, we're looking at a MUCH different draft chart. lol

hermhater
12-27-2008, 04:22 AM
I still think signing Suggs and Vilma are the best things for this team financially and the most realistic goal going into free agency.

Signing Haynesworth is overkill and a poor long-term investment IMO. Yeah, he's really turned it up a notch the last couple seasons, but he's going to command a huge contract. He's not someone I'd be willing to spend huge money on considering he'll be 28 next season and his rookie year is THE ONLY year during his seven year career in which he played ALL 17 games. He's averaging 11.4 games a season. That just kinda worries me knowing I'm about to invest THAT kind of money. Plus, I think Tank and Dorsey are going to be studs in the middle. Also, I'd rather spend the money on Asomugha.

I understand the talk of taking a LT with our first pick, but I'd be inclined to stay away from a LT as hard as it might be. Think about this for a second. If I can get a stud guard in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, we would be maximizing the value of our picks. If we take an OT with the 2nd or 3rd pick overall, then we've essentially spent a mid-first round pick on a guard by moving Albert inside. I don't think ANYONE here would be completely against keeping Albert at LT for the next decade or so. I think he's well on his way to being the next Pro Bowl LT for the Chiefs.

The best option, IMO is to either draft Aaron Curry at 3 or trade down to where his value is optimal and draft him there, collecting more picks. Let's say an additional 2nd and 4th. The Chiefs would then have a complete D-line and LB corp. The corners could locked down between Flowers, Carr and Leggett (although Asomugha would be another great signing if the Chiefs could swing it.) Pollard is locked at SS at least for another year. So Page is really the only guy who may not be here as a starter.

So, if the defense is pretty much finished with the free agent signings and the drafting of Curry, we could flip back over to the O-line and take the best guard or RT available and follow that up with the best Center available... or visa versa depending who's sitting there at our 2nd round picks.

After that, I'd say take the best available talent and the guys you know best from a scouting perspective. Drafting for need works, but only in specific occasions. When your team is on the verge of breaking through a specific barrier and you weren't able to fill that need in free agency, then drafting for need could be applicable. In this case, (if all free agents are signed) the Chiefs have only a couple holes to fill at OLB, RT, and Guard/Center. One thing I will say about McIntosh though is that he's really gotten his sh!t together here in the last few weeks. I think it took a little while for him to get his bearings over at RT, but I think he might be developing into a solid RT. Niswanger could be moved to Guard if one isn't taken in the draft and we get a good Center in the draft. Although, again, Wade Smith is starting to make some noise at that RG spot.

Bottom line, the Chiefs' draft needs are going to be moving targets as things play out over this winter and during the spring. It really is way too early to be thinking about which specific holes to fill until the Chiefs at least get out of free agency. If the Chiefs can't get any free agents, we're looking at a MUCH different draft chart. lol

Postwhore.

texaschief
12-27-2008, 04:31 AM
Postwhore.

oh yes. I really should get better at chopping my posts into a hundred different ones so i could get my post count up by you. :lol:

hermhater
12-27-2008, 04:38 AM
This can't hurt...

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/GIF/GIFs/12242008/boobs.gif

Chiefster
12-27-2008, 09:53 AM
This can't hurt...

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

Silicone heh! :lol:

Good to see ya back again bud. :sign0098:

theaxeeffect4311
12-27-2008, 01:43 PM
The thing is if we can't move down in the draft, I think that the BPA will be an OT at the 3rd spot in the draft. I think the only way we draft a defensive player first would be if we have more than one 2nd round.

It would not be bad if we got a LT in the first round and move Albert to another position. Many O-lines have more than one player in the lineup from the first round. The way I see it, If we get Michael Oher (the player I'm hoping for), then take either Alex Mack, the best center prospect in this draft, or Brian Cushing, great OLB in this year's draft who looks like he might be slipping into the second round. We could go Cushing in the 2nd then C Antoine Caldwell in the 3rd. However, if we get two second rounds, it will really help because I do not think the Chiefs should pass up on Mack.

hermhater
12-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Silicone heh! :lol:

Good to see ya back again bud. :sign0098:

:bananen_smilies046:

KottkeKU
12-27-2008, 08:16 PM
i dont think you can go wrong by drafting OT in the top 3

What we need is Maualuga though...

Chuck
12-27-2008, 11:50 PM
OK.....what do we really need? Do all of you believe Thigpen can get it done and can we run the spread successfully?
I know we need OL but what about QB?

texaschief
12-28-2008, 12:20 AM
OK.....what do we really need? Do all of you believe Thigpen can get it done and can we run the spread successfully?

I know it sucks, especially right now when there's really nothing to talk about, but until some decisions are made, there's really no reason to talk about this. I wrote an article talking about this very thing called "A Fluid Situation." There's a series of questions that have to be addressed before we can even start talking about what direction the Chiefs should go in free agency and the draft.

odendin
12-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Lb Aaron Curry without a question.
Getting a LT (the only OL position worth considering with an early 1st Rnd pick) would be retarded. Branden Albert SHUT DOWN Joey Porter last week.
If we cant get Peppers or Suggs in FA, we could still sign a really good DE in the 2nd (Everette, Selvie, Hardy, Morgan)... or if you wanted to go OL in the 2nd you could still nab Barwin or Shaughnessy in the 3rd.

Crabtree might be a consideration because Bradley can't stay healthy but I'm hoping we get a speedy WR in FA or 2nd/3rd/4th.

theaxeeffect4311
12-28-2008, 05:09 AM

Thigpen may not be the answer but we should at least give him a chance for one season. See what he can do. Also, we have a lot of issues on the team that QB should be the least of our needs while we have Thigpen. I think we have to give Thigpen a chance since we will be able to re-sign him cheap and he can handle it until next season where it would be reasonable to draft one in the first round.

RockRocks787
12-28-2008, 02:23 PM

Okay guys. After watching this game vs. Cincinnati, I would like to personally apologize for that dumb post I made a few days ago. DB seems to be the last thing we need to worry about. I do still think that we need a linebacker or two though.

Chuck
12-28-2008, 03:32 PM
OK........still think Tyler and the spread are the way to go? This game makes me want to puke.
Bye, bye Herm.

Chiefster
12-28-2008, 04:29 PM
I know it sucks, especially right now when there's really nothing to talk about, but until some decisions are made, there's really no reason to talk about this. I wrote an article talking about this very thing called "A Fluid Situation." There's a series of questions that have to be addressed before we can even start talking about what direction the Chiefs should go in free agency and the draft.

Yup it's all specualation at this point, which is ok if you want to engage in speculation, but undwerstand that currently that is all it is. :D

drstandley31
12-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I just said this in another post, but I think you draft Offensive Linemen and Defensive Lineman before thinking about anything else. I know LB is the next obvious choice, but we have to fill the holes on the line first. When you're forced to run the F'ing spread because you can't block, and you're the worst pass rushing team in NFL history, it's an easy answer where you put your effort first. Worst Pass Rushing Defense in NFL History!!! I can't say that enough. And not by just a little bit, we shattered the "Lack of Sack" record.

bigpoppachief
12-29-2008, 02:12 AM
What do you all think about Orapko ? I think he would be an awesome addition to a good young D line.

hermhater
12-29-2008, 02:19 AM
No matter who the GM is we will draft D.

theaxeeffect4311
12-29-2008, 03:30 AM
What do you all think about Orapko ? I think he would be an awesome addition to a good young D line.

I think he will do good in the NFL, but I think the Chiefs will address DE in FA.