PDA

View Full Version : No word on new GM

wants to win
12-31-2008, 11:23 AM
No word on even who the Chiefs have asked to talk to and Cleveland is already way ahead of us in asking the NFL permission to talk to Pioli. Why the hell do we wait so long and always get the leftovers. Clark is not making me happy.

jerhart
12-31-2008, 11:28 AM
....it is frustrating...but unlike a lot of teams, the Hunt's historically do their business behind closed doors. I am sure things are getting done, but no one is releasing anything to the media. I want to know what is going on just as much as the next guy.

RatherDashing
12-31-2008, 11:48 AM
I would much rather read news about a top candidate interviewing with/rejecting another team's offer as opposed to hearing any the same said as to where the Chiefs stand.

It's frustrating, sure. But I would much rather trust that Clark Hunt is as smart as he appears and is taking actions without it being spread all over the media.

Though, if I don't hear anything within the next few days and/or weeks, I'm probably going to fall a bit more into the pool of insanity. I have this fear lingering in the back of my mind that, given the Chiefs record, we'll end up being stuck with someone decent at best.

leaves
12-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Its frusterating but nothing new. The past few years we've been a little slow in the game. Free Agency, nothing gets done; contract (re)signings, edge into the season; and management is probably not gonna be any different.

Canada
12-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Its frusterating but nothing new. The past few years we've been a little slow in the game. Free Agency, nothing gets done; contract (re)signings, edge into the season; and management is probably not gonna be any different.

The past few years have been a result of CP and Lamar Hunt. Clark was gonna let his dads people finish out their contracts but after the last 2 seasons said enough is enough. All the things that have been done in the past are irrelevant to the situation going on right now. Give the guy a chance before you get down on him. The only legitimate complaint I have heard is that no one on a Chiefs BB has been informed of what the Owner of the Chiefs is doing. CP has been fired and it is still all doom and gloom for you guys. How do any of you know what Clark Hunt has been doing for the past three days. (last I checked the season only ended on Sunday) Everything else anyone has said on here is nothing but speculation. Cheer up!! It's a New Year!! :bananen_smilies046:

Big Daddy Tek
12-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Clark Hunt has already interviewed somebody and nobody knows who it is. Marty Schottenheimer was contacted by Clark Hunt for some consulting ideas on where the Chiefs are right now as a team and as a management staff (not to be the coach or GM). Last but not least, Denny Thum (current president) has been networking the past two weeks on potential candidates. The Chiefs are very active guys, but they do their business strictly behind doors. I'll be surprised if they do not make a hire in the next week.

Drunker Hillbilly
12-31-2008, 01:46 PM
The past few years have been a result of CP and Lamar Hunt. Clark was gonna let his dads people finish out their contracts but after the last 2 seasons said enough is enough. All the things that have been done in the past are irrelevant to the situation going on right now. Give the guy a chance before you get down on him. The only legitimate complaint I have heard is that no one on a Chiefs BB has been informed of what the Owner of the Chiefs is doing. CP has been fired and it is still all doom and gloom for you guys. How do any of you know what Clark Hunt has been doing for the past three days. (last I checked the season only ended on Sunday) Everything else anyone has said on here is nothing but speculation. Cheer up!! It's a New Year!! :bananen_smilies046:
Actually I think Peterson resigned.:D

Nel Toille
12-31-2008, 01:58 PM
No word on even who the Chiefs have asked to talk to and Cleveland is already way ahead of us in asking the NFL permission to talk to Pioli. Why the hell do we wait so long and always get the leftovers. Clark is not making me happy.
Don't believe the hype... or lack thereof, I guess. Just because other teams are jumping the gun and making it known publicly doesn't mean the Chiefs are sitting on their ***. I was just listening to the radio on the way home and they listed off a number of canidates the Chiefs are contacting (including Pioli) and they are all, from what I've heard, very qualified to do the job. Clark should be meeting with all of them in the next couple of weeks.

Big Daddy Tek
12-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Actually I think Peterson resigned.:D

You think Peterson resigned? Cool, now heres what really happened. Clark had been telling Carl for about 6 weeks that he wasnt gonna finish his contract out and that he had to go by the end of the year so that the Chiefs could get a new GM lined up. With 2 weeks left in the season and a miserable loss to the Chargers, they decided it was time to begin the search so that they could have a plan in place before the season ends. In upper corporate America, they call this "getting fired"

theaxeeffect4311
12-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Clark Hunt has already interviewed somebody and nobody knows who it is. Marty Schottenheimer was contacted by Clark Hunt for some consulting ideas on where the Chiefs are right now as a team and as a management staff (not to be the coach or GM). Last but not least, Denny Thum (current president) has been networking the past two weeks on potential candidates. The Chiefs are very active guys, but they do their business strictly behind doors. I'll be surprised if they do not make a hire in the next week.

This matches what I have heard. I do not understand why people would make that news public anyway. GM is an important position in any organization, and no one needs the attention of the media.

Chiefstillidie
12-31-2008, 10:03 PM
You think Peterson resigned? Cool, now heres what really happened. Clark had been telling Carl for about 6 weeks that he wasnt gonna finish his contract out and that he had to go by the end of the year so that the Chiefs could get a new GM lined up. With 2 weeks left in the season and a miserable loss to the Chargers, they decided it was time to begin the search so that they could have a plan in place before the season ends. In upper corporate America, they call this "getting fired"

Now that is actually true i will agree with you on that

Hayvern
01-01-2009, 04:07 AM
I read on ESPN today, but cannot find the link right now, that Clark has set up an interview with Pioli

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/12/chiefs_request.html

Chiefster
01-01-2009, 10:08 AM

He's still under the Evil Carl spell; strong is he with the dark side of the force.

Chiefstillidie
01-01-2009, 03:27 PM
i already read on espn that cleveland wants an answer by today from pioli. I guess i was in awe to think that a crappy football team could demand an answer for anyone with that high of a profile. I think pioli isn't goin to cleveland anytime soon. I hope kc lands him though.

mikeymike078
01-02-2009, 10:12 PM
I hope you guys are right...cause this hearing everyone else interviewing and us not doing squat is nerve racking.....

slc chief
01-02-2009, 10:35 PM
pioli did his interview with kc today

tornadospotter
01-02-2009, 10:36 PM
He's still under the Evil Carl spell; strong is he with the dark side of the force.
:X-Wing:
:36: Be gone darkside!!!!!

theaxeeffect4311
01-03-2009, 12:07 AM

Have there been any stories from it yet or is everything still on the hush-hush?

Big Daddy Tek
01-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Have there been any stories from it yet or is everything still on the hush-hush?

I actually have access to the AP wire and their has not been one single line on this thing. :beer:

texaschief
01-03-2009, 01:13 AM
I actually have access to the AP wire and their has not been one single line on this thing. :beer:

You're my new best friend :bananen_smilies046:

theaxeeffect4311
01-03-2009, 01:30 AM
I just wish we could get some news. Even rejection. It at least helps us see who is on the list and off the list.

tornadospotter
01-03-2009, 01:44 AM

You're my new best friend :bananen_smilies046:
:sign0153: I and I put all that evert into getting you to like me!!!!!!!!:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: You, :D :bananen_smilies046:

texaschief
01-03-2009, 01:50 AM
:sign0153: I and I put all that evert into getting you to like me!!!!!!!!:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: You, :D :bananen_smilies046:

Really? :undwech:

tornadospotter
01-03-2009, 01:59 AM
Really? :undwech:
:sign0137: :sign0135: :sign0080:***.

:bananen_smilies046:

texaschief
01-03-2009, 02:05 AM
:sign0137: :sign0135: :sign0080:***.

:bananen_smilies046:

... (sigh) :(

ChiefsFanFromNY
01-03-2009, 01:01 PM
We won't get news until the Ravens are out of the playoffs. That's what I'm hoping.

texaschief
01-03-2009, 01:11 PM
We won't get news until the Ravens are out of the playoffs. That's what I'm hoping.

..... no, YOU are now my new best friend. :lol:

Chiefster
01-03-2009, 02:01 PM
...As long as the new GM gets rid of Herm.

texaschief
01-03-2009, 02:24 PM
...As long as the new GM gets rid of Herm.

Seriously, do you have anything else to say when it comes to the Chiefs or are you just a scratched CD?

nigeriannightmare
01-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Seriously, do you have anything else to say when it comes to the Chiefs or are you just a scratched CD?

I thought you were gonna refrain from any Herm comments and remain neutral. As long as Herm 'the Germ" is our HC your gonna keep hearing about the strong dislike most of us have for him as a coach.

texaschief
01-03-2009, 02:59 PM
I thought you were gonna refrain from any Herm comments and remain neutral. As long as Herm 'the Germ" is our HC your gonna keep hearing about the strong dislike most of us have for him as a coach.

I've realized that for the last two years. But do we have to get one liners on every thread every other day reminding everyone how much he doesn't like Herm Edwards?

I don't put one liners on every thread stating why we should keep Edwards, do I?

jerhart
01-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Mort is reporting that Mangini is the front runner right now for the browns position...and if this is the case he will bring in that koukiounos fella from the ravens.

....I am starting to think more and more that Pioli is not going to land on the browns.

texaschief
01-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Mort is reporting that Mangini is the front runner right now for the browns position...and if this is the case he will bring in that koukiounos fella from the ravens.

....I am starting to think more and more that Pioli is not going to land on the browns.

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com

Updated: January 3, 2009, 2:51 PM ET

Eric Mangini, fired on Monday by the New York Jets, is emerging as the favorite to become the next head coach of the Cleveland Browns, team and league sources said Saturday.

The Browns have continued their search process, interviewing other candidates, but sources say Mangini had a "compelling" interview and owner Randy Lerner is fascinated with him.

If Mangini gets the job to replace the fired Romeo Crennel, the favorite to become the team's general manager is George Kokinis, who is the director of pro personnel for the Baltimore Ravens, the sources said.

Kokinis and Mangini each were members of the Browns organization when Bill Belichick was coach. Mangini formally joined the staff as an assistant coach in 1995. Kokinis was a scout from 1991 to 1995 before moving with the team to Baltimore.

Scott Pioli, the Patriots' executive vice president of player personnel, has been considered the favorite for the GM job, but sources say his demands were "extreme," and Lerner is hesitant to accept the terms unless there is some level of compromise.

Pioli is scheduled to interview with the Kansas City Chiefs no later than Monday.

If Pioli is hired, the leading head coaching candidates are believed to be Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who also has interviewed with Lerner. McDaniels has not been ruled out after an impressive interview on Friday, one team source said.

Even though Kokinis would be the leading GM candidate with Mangini as coach, current Browns director of player personnel T.J. McCreight also is in the running.

Lerner's firing of former GM Phil Savage had little or nothing to do with Savage's personnel decisions; Lerner specifically said the dismissal stemmed from a difference in "management style."

Kokonis is my choice for GM.

Chiefstillidie
01-03-2009, 04:23 PM
well i hope kansas city does land pioli. But texas chiefs you got a point. I've talked about how much i dislike that guy that coaches are team and it is getting kinda old so i'm done talkin bout that guy until he's gone! But i hope kc lands pioli.

McLovin
01-03-2009, 08:01 PM
I havent mentioned lately how much I hate Herm, Germ, Sperm, Worm whatever your pleasure. Is it ok if I chime in.

BTW I hate Hermie.

McLovin
01-03-2009, 08:05 PM
BTW I am hoping for either a Pioli - Ferentz Duo, I am a huge Hawkeye fan and have tons of respect for Ferentz, also he is the master at having a massive O-Line something that KC could use.

The other intriguing option would be a Marty GM - Cowher HC combo, from what I have heard this is one of the ways Cowher might come back, and Marty was a good evaluator of talent and is familiar with the culture in KC.

theaxeeffect4311
01-04-2009, 02:21 AM
BTW I am hoping for either a Pioli - Ferentz Duo, I am a huge Hawkeye fan and have tons of respect for Ferentz, also he is the master at having a massive O-Line something that KC could use.

The other intriguing option would be a Marty GM - Cowher HC combo, from what I have heard this is one of the ways Cowher might come back, and Marty was a good evaluator of talent and is familiar with the culture in KC.

The fact that Pioli is said to have extreme conditions for the position makes me think that the Chiefs should not get involved with him. It just has bad news written all over it.

Marty would be good (possibly), but the fact that everyone close to Marty and I believe Marty himself said that he was not offered a job. So don't hold your breath on this one.

My money is with Kokinis. He has been with a Ravens team that has built a great defense for many years. I think he can find the appropriate players to draft and turn this team around.

texaschief
01-04-2009, 03:35 AM
The fact that Pioli is said to have extreme conditions for the position makes me think that the Chiefs should not get involved with him. It just has bad news written all over it.

Marty would be good (possibly), but the fact that everyone close to Marty and I believe Marty himself said that he was not offered a job. So don't hold your breath on this one.

My money is with Kokinis. He has been with a Ravens team that has built a great defense for many years. I think he can find the appropriate players to draft and turn this team around.

This team got turned around last draft. I just hope he keeps building on what has already been started and doesn't decide to just tear it down for the sake of tearing it down.

KottkeKU
01-04-2009, 11:02 AM
the more HW i do on Pioli, the more i think we would be better off without this guy....I am starting to think he is extremely overrated...and maybe his insane demands just mean that hes happy in NE....

Coach
01-04-2009, 02:43 PM
the more HW i do on Pioli, the more i think we would be better off without this guy....I am starting to think he is extremely overrated...and maybe his insane demands just mean that hes happy in NE....

I'm not sure why everyone is in love with Pioli either. He may be good, but I haven't seen his resume. Does he make the draft day calls? If so, outside of Jerrod Mayo, they have had pretty crappy drafts the last few years in my opinion.
2007 Draft (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/teams/patriots.html)
2008 Draft (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/teams/patriots.html)

They have been active in free agency. But it was my understanding that this team was going to build through the draft. It seems like people automatically assume that coaches tied to the Patriots organization are great. Outside of THE coach, all of the ones I can think of have failed miserably.

Crennel - fired
Mangini - fired
Charlie Weiss - will be fired in 2009.

Please tell me why I should be excited about Pioli. I want to be excited about this guy, but right now I just don't get it.

texaschief
01-04-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is in love with Pioli either. He may be good, but I haven't seen his resume. Does he make the draft day calls? If so, outside of Jerrod Mayo, they have had pretty crappy drafts the last few years in my opinion.
2007 Draft (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/teams/patriots.html)
2008 Draft (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/teams/patriots.html)

They have been active in free agency. But it was my understanding that this team was going to build through the draft. It seems like people automatically assume that coaches tied to the Patriots organization are great. Outside of THE coach, all of the ones I can think of have failed miserably.

Crennel - fired
Mangini - fired
Charlie Weiss - will be fired in 2009.

Please tell me why I should be excited about Pioli. I want to be excited about this guy, but right now I just don't get it.

EXACTLY.

Kokonis please.

hardcorechiefsfan
01-05-2009, 01:36 AM
He did?!? Please, please, please, please let us have him, please God, make it happen...

theaxeeffect4311
01-05-2009, 01:43 AM
He did?!? Please, please, please, please let us have him, please God, make it happen...

Pioli is asking for some crazy demands with the position. I have not heard what the demands are, but the Chiefs cannot deal with any problems that can hinder the progress of this team.

nigeriannightmare
01-13-2009, 06:13 PM
I've realized that for the last two years. But do we have to get one liners on every thread every other day reminding everyone how much he doesn't like Herm Edwards?

I don't put one liners on every thread stating why we should keep Edwards, do I?

Just busting some balls bro, just busting balls.