PDA

View Full Version : Official Chiefs/Pioli Thread

texaschief
01-01-2009, 03:54 AM
According to Chris Mortenson at ESPN, the Chiefs have officially asked permission to speak with Pioli. Pioli apparently already has a meeting with the Browns who are prepared to give him a "huge offer" and full control and the freedom to bring in Iowa OC, Kirk Ferentz as Head Coach.

texaschief
01-01-2009, 04:06 AM
Jan 1, 1:03 a.m. (PFT)
Patriots V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli has completed his interview for the vacant G.M. position in Cleveland, and presumably will next interview with the Chiefs.

The Browns, per the Cleveland Plain Dealer, will interview former Falcons G.M. Rich McKay on Thursday.

The Plain Dealer also reports that the Browns will interview director of player personnel T.J. McCreight, who worked closely with former G.M. Phil Savage.

Meanwhile, the Boston Herald reports that Pioli’s top choice for head coach would be Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz. It has long been rumored in league circles that, if/when Pioli becomes a General Manager, Ferentz is one of the men who would be on his short list of potential head coaches.

I think it's interesting that the Browns let him go without a deal. That usually doesn't bode well if you REALLY wanted to sign the guy. You should NEVER let him leave. That might put the Chiefs in the driver seat. What do we know about Kirk Ferentz? Iowa hasn't exactly blown away the competition in their conference. That name doesn't excite me.

texaschief
01-01-2009, 04:23 AM
Ferentz is currently 69-53 at Iowa. He was the primary target of the Pittsburgh Steelers when they had to replace Cowher. His current contract extends him through 2012 at Iowa. He has turned down jobs with the Vikings, Packers, Texans, Rams, Steelers and Saints. His defense at Iowa is currently running the 4-3.

RatherDashing
01-01-2009, 04:30 AM
I know I shouldn't get my hopes provided it's the Chiefs we're talking about, but dang, I'm excited to see how this plays out in the next few weeks.

Chiefster
01-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Ferentz is currently 69-53 at Iowa. He was the primary target of the Pittsburgh Steelers when they had to replace Cowher. His current contract extends him through 2012 at Iowa. He has turned down jobs with the Vikings, Packers, Texans, Rams, Steelers and Saints. His defense at Iowa is currently running the 4-3.

His current track record does not fill one with optimism that he will join the Chiefs.

Canada
01-01-2009, 10:42 AM
His current track record does not fill one with optimism that he will join the Chiefs.

Why, cause he turned down all the sh!tty teams first?

Big Daddy Tek
01-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Jan 1, 1:03 a.m. (PFT)
Patriots V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli has completed his interview for the vacant G.M. position in Cleveland, and presumably will next interview with the Chiefs.

The Browns, per the Cleveland Plain Dealer, will interview former Falcons G.M. Rich McKay on Thursday.

The Plain Dealer also reports that the Browns will interview director of player personnel T.J. McCreight, who worked closely with former G.M. Phil Savage.

Meanwhile, the Boston Herald reports that Pioli’s top choice for head coach would be Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz. It has long been rumored in league circles that, if/when Pioli becomes a General Manager, Ferentz is one of the men who would be on his short list of potential head coaches.

I think it's interesting that the Browns let him go without a deal. That usually doesn't bode well if you REALLY wanted to sign the guy. You should NEVER let him leave. That might put the Chiefs in the driver seat. What do we know about Kirk Ferentz? Iowa hasn't exactly blown away the competition in their conference. That name doesn't excite me.

Im with you Tex. I would like one of the other guys that we have talked about over Pioli anyway. When you throw in the Iowa coach, it totally turns me off to this idea. Im pullin my chips off of the table on pioli now.

Chiefstillidie
01-01-2009, 01:18 PM
i hope kc lands pioli..he's the man for the job and would easily be able to turn kansas city around....and anyone who doesn't want him as are gm is crazy...he's the prize jewel to try and bring in right now..read a thread on espn about it saying that even!

Big Daddy Tek
01-01-2009, 01:31 PM
i hope kc lands pioli..he's the man for the job and would easily be able to turn kansas city around....and anyone who doesn't want him as are gm is crazy...he's the prize jewel to try and bring in right now..read a thread on espn about it saying that even!

Im convinced now! You've completly changed my mind. Thanx for the perspective!

Chiefstillidie
01-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Im convinced now! You've completly changed my mind. Thanx for the perspective!

i could care less if i changed your perspective or not! I was just giving my opinion on what i thought of pioli. I wasn't trying to change anyone's perspective of anything. But just because you don't think pioli is the man for the job doesn't mean your opinion is right like you seem to think all the time! And me thinking he is is just my opinion but doesn't mean i'm right either!

YZILLA
01-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Sounds like Clark is having a meeting with him today or very , very soon ! and it also sound like cleveland has " screwed to pooch " so to speak in their dealings with Pioli doing all their talking through the media and giving him a"take it or leave it" situation.Sounds like if the Pioli deal falls through with the browns, they will be talking to Shanahan asap.

Big Daddy Tek
01-01-2009, 03:04 PM
i could care less if i changed your perspective or not! I was just giving my opinion on what i thought of pioli. I wasn't trying to change anyone's perspective of anything. But just because you don't think pioli is the man for the job doesn't mean your opinion is right like you seem to think all the time! And me thinking he is is just my opinion but doesn't mean i'm right either!

You called me crazy didnt you? By the way, Its been 3 days. Isnt Herm supposed to get fired today, based on your inside info? Looks like you were right on track.

Chiefstillidie
01-01-2009, 03:07 PM
You called me crazy didnt you? By the way, Its been 3 days. Isnt Herm supposed to get fired today, based on your inside info? Looks like you were right on track.

No i was wrong on the 3 days that i was wrong on. I'm not wrong about herm edwards being fired! And like i said pioli is the man for the job. I really don't care what you say dude...you think your opinion is always the right one! And guess what! It's not! Get a life dude! The whole herm edwards thing has nothing to do with this conversation...stay on the conversation and keep thinking you know everything!

Chiefstillidie
01-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Sounds like Clark is having a meeting with him today or very , very soon ! and it also sound like cleveland has " screwed to pooch " so to speak in their dealings with Pioli doing all their talking through the media and giving him a"take it or leave it" situation.Sounds like if the Pioli deal falls through with the browns, they will be talking to Shanahan asap.

yes i'm very excited that the chiefs are going to at least give a shot at pioli...since marty pretty much said no to us.

texaschief
01-01-2009, 03:27 PM
yes i'm very excited that the chiefs are going to at least give a shot at pioli...since marty pretty much said no to us.

Marty wasn't offered the job, despite what rumors say. He was just brought in for an outside perspective and consultation to Clark Hunt.

Chiefstillidie
01-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Marty wasn't offered the job, despite what rumors say. He was just brought in for an outside perspective and consultation to Clark Hunt.

i know i read that on espn to unfortuntely. Clark was just getting consultating ideas from marty i read. What a shame.

I H8 Every Team But KC
01-01-2009, 07:32 PM
I trust the organization to do the right thing. I just don't want them to throw mad money out there to anyone. It's just not worth it...that being said, I'd like to have Pioli but I am not excited about the coach he wants either.

Bike
01-01-2009, 07:36 PM
If Clark thinks enough of Marty to get his opinion on the direction of the Chiefs, why not just hire him as your GM? That whole thing seems kinda strange to me..
And...you mean nobody has invited Peterson in for vacant gm spots? What gives? lol..Denver is looking!!!

texaschief
01-01-2009, 08:48 PM
If Clark thinks enough of Marty to get his opinion on the direction of the Chiefs, why not just hire him as your GM? That whole thing seems kinda strange to me..
And...you mean nobody has invited Peterson in for vacant gm spots? What gives? lol..Denver is looking!!!

If Parcells leaves after their season, Peterson will probably take that job over. A lot of teams know that, which is why they haven't invited him yet. They know they're going to have to wait for the Dolphins season to end before Peterson makes any kind of decision.

LVviaKC
01-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Cleveland has the upper hand. I'll be pleasantly shocked if Pioli chose KC. I doubt it. They're offering full control. Clark is going to hire a president and a gm so I wouldn't bet on him choosing KC.

texaschief
01-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Cleveland has the upper hand. I'll be pleasantly shocked if Pioli chose KC. I doubt it. They're offering full control. Clark is going to hire a president and a gm so I wouldn't bet on him choosing KC.

"Full control" means of personnel decisions. Hiring separate GMs and Presidents doesn't affect that. The GM is going to have full control. The Browns lost the upper hand when they let Pioli leave.

Not that I really care. I don't really want him or Ferentz here anyway.

theaxeeffect4311
01-02-2009, 02:51 AM
"Full control" means of personnel decisions. Hiring separate GMs and Presidents doesn't affect that. The GM is going to have full control. The Browns lost the upper hand when they let Pioli leave.

Not that I really care. I don't really want him or Ferentz here anyway.

While I think Pioli would be a competent choice, I think the Chiefs are looking for something more.

So if not Pioli, who do some of you suggest?

texaschief
01-02-2009, 02:53 AM
Like I said in another thread, right now I like:

GM- George Kokonis
HC- Jim Schwartz

tambahawk
01-02-2009, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't automatically assume that Pioli and Ferentz are a "package" deal. Pioli is going to do whatever he thinks is best period. His GM career will be on the line and it's something he has been considering for years. If we are fortunate enough to get Pioli, I will trust his judgement on whatever coach he hires because I know alot of thought has went into it.

texaschief
01-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't automatically assume that Pioli and Ferentz are a "package" deal. Pioli is going to do whatever he thinks is best period. His GM career will be on the line and it's something he has been considering for years. If we are fortunate enough to get Pioli, I will trust his judgement on whatever coach he hires because I know alot of thought has went into it.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/01/ferentz-addresses-nfl-rumors/

Immediately after pulling off a 31-10 thumping of South Carolina in the Vandalay Outback Bowl, Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz addressed rumors and reports that he’ll become the head coach of the NFL team that hires Patriots V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli to be its General Manager.

Said Ferentz: “Scott’s a great friend of mine, and I think it’s a mutual thing. I think it’s presumptuous to think anybody knows what he’s doing right now, and he and I haven’t talked in three weeks. We’ve both been doing our jobs. I’ve got a great job at Iowa, I’ve said that many, many times. The people are fantastic, and I just feel very, very fortunate.”

Asked where the NFL fits on his “to do” list, Ferentz said, “I don’t have a ‘to do’ list. I never have. I just try to live every day and enjoy them, and I can’t think of a year I’ve enjoyed much more than this one.”

The Hawkeyes finished the year at 9-4. After three straight wins and then three straight losses to open the year, Iowa won six of seven, including an upset of then-No. 3 Penn State.

Ferentz, 53, has spent ten years at Iowa. He previously worked at the NFL level as an assistant with the Browns and the Ravens.

Ferentz’s failure to make an equivocal denial of his possible departure undoubtedly will be used against the Hawkeyes in the ongoing process of recruiting high-school players, who’ll sign their letters of intent in early February.

Take what you want from that.

jerhart
01-02-2009, 04:59 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/01/ferentz-addresses-nfl-rumors/

Immediately after pulling off a 31-10 thumping of South Carolina in the Vandalay Outback Bowl, Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz addressed rumors and reports that he’ll become the head coach of the NFL team that hires Patriots V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli to be its General Manager.

Said Ferentz: “Scott’s a great friend of mine, and I think it’s a mutual thing. I think it’s presumptuous to think anybody knows what he’s doing right now, and he and I haven’t talked in three weeks. We’ve both been doing our jobs. I’ve got a great job at Iowa, I’ve said that many, many times. The people are fantastic, and I just feel very, very fortunate.”

Asked where the NFL fits on his “to do” list, Ferentz said, “I don’t have a ‘to do’ list. I never have. I just try to live every day and enjoy them, and I can’t think of a year I’ve enjoyed much more than this one.”

The Hawkeyes finished the year at 9-4. After three straight wins and then three straight losses to open the year, Iowa won six of seven, including an upset of then-No. 3 Penn State.

Ferentz, 53, has spent ten years at Iowa. He previously worked at the NFL level as an assistant with the Browns and the Ravens.

Ferentz’s failure to make an equivocal denial of his possible departure undoubtedly will be used against the Hawkeyes in the ongoing process of recruiting high-school players, who’ll sign their letters of intent in early February.

Take what you want from that.

I'd be happy with Pioli, Polian, or DeCosta. The fact that the Browns, Jets, and Donks are interviewing coaching canidates when Pioli has stated he wants to bring Ferentz in I feel makes KC the front runner. I know Clark wants to hire two guys for the job but that can change. Pioli can come to KC, drop Edwards and bring in Ferentz as he pleases.

I wont be surprised if he lands in KC, nor will I be surprised if he doesnt.

Ferentz's lack of denial makes me think there have been discussion between him and Pioli on this topic.

Bike
01-02-2009, 05:10 PM
At least if Pioli ends up here, Herm will most definetely be gone..

jerhart
01-02-2009, 05:21 PM
At least if Pioli ends up here, Herm will most definetely be gone..

...and this is most important! :bananen_smilies046:

slc chief
01-02-2009, 05:22 PM
the denver donkeys are also trying to get pioli

texaschief
01-02-2009, 05:22 PM

eh. they can have him.

jerhart
01-02-2009, 05:24 PM

...they are also having dinner with Spagnola (sp?) and trying to get at Stoops...they are trying to land a coach BEFORE a GM...usually it is the other way around.

slc chief
01-02-2009, 05:41 PM
...they are also having dinner with Spagnola (sp?) and trying to get at Stoops...they are trying to land a coach BEFORE a GM...usually it is the other way around.

wich tells me they must have someone internal that they are looking at for the gm spot.so all they are trying to do is mess with kc's prossess of signing pioli

jerhart
01-02-2009, 05:43 PM
wich tells me they must have someone internal that they are looking at for the gm spot.so all they are trying to do is mess with kc's prossess of signing pioli

**** THE DONKS!! :mob:

slc chief
01-02-2009, 06:51 PM
the chiefs are meeting with pioli today and sources are saying he might have ananswer as early as tonight.sources are also saying if the chiefs can not lock up pioli they are going to tempt cowher with a gm/ head coach job

jerhart
01-02-2009, 07:47 PM
the chiefs are meeting with pioli today and sources are saying he might have ananswer as early as tonight.sources are also saying if the chiefs can not lock up pioli they are going to tempt cowher with a gm/ head coach job

What sources?

slc chief
01-02-2009, 07:50 PM
What sources?

nfl network

jerhart
01-02-2009, 07:56 PM
nfl network

damn I dont have nfln....so reiterating what you said...NFLn reported that the chiefs could announce their new GM as early as tonight? Can anyone else confirm this?

tornadospotter
01-02-2009, 08:42 PM
I hope they do soon!!!!! I tired of it all already.

slc chief
01-02-2009, 08:57 PM
damn I dont have nfln....so reiterating what you said...NFLn reported that the chiefs could announce their new GM as early as tonight? Can anyone else confirm this?

the nfl network said that pioli could make his desicion as early as tonight it was under the afc west topics

YZILLA
01-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Ive read about 9 central time that we have an extremely good chance its either Pioli or Cowher. more to come very soon. I wish I could repost this info.

m0ef0e
01-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Ive read about 9 central time that we have an extremely good chance its either Pioli or Cowher. more to come very soon. I wish I could repost this info.

Oh I hope so! Still love the sig pic, Yzilla! Good times. Who's ready for the next party!?!?!? :drunkhb::bananen_smilies046:

Canada
01-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Oh I hope so! Still love the sig pic, Yzilla! Good times. Who's ready for the next party!?!?!? :drunkhb::bananen_smilies046:

Pro_Angler
01-05-2009, 08:19 PM
this is quickly becoming an edge of the seat thing for me and probably most of you.. I hope its over soon before i fall out of it...lol

Coach
01-05-2009, 08:58 PM
this is quickly becoming an edge of the seat thing for me and probably most of you.. I hope its over soon before i fall out of it...lol
I agree, the suspense is killing me. Although, without Cowher, I won't be nearly as excited.

tornadospotter
01-05-2009, 09:31 PM
:11: :welcome: :sign0153: Who is this, I ask, is it,no can not be, but, yes it is m0ef0e, he is back!!!!!!:welcome: Back!

Three7s
01-05-2009, 10:02 PM
We have absolutely no chance at Cowher. He's made it clear that he likes his cushy job with CBS and has no plans to make any changes in his lifestyle.

Pro_Angler
01-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah cowher was never in the picture for anyone, he was just testing the waters for next season jerking people around. I say keep herm for one more year then go after cowher, but if we get pioli its by by herm and hello iowa coach (yuck).

Chiefster
01-05-2009, 10:04 PM
9:04 Any news?

Canada
01-05-2009, 10:06 PM
9:04 Any news?

Yup, Canada won Gold in the World Junior Hockey Championship!! :yahoo:

Chiefster
01-05-2009, 10:07 PM

Well, yeah! Was there any doubt??? :D

Canada
01-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Well, yeah! Was there any doubt??? :D

Nope!! :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
01-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Nope!! :bananen_smilies046:

But of course not.

I hope we get a GM tonight. :D

Three7s
01-05-2009, 10:18 PM
But of course not.

I hope we get a GM tonight. :D
I don't think it'll be tonight, I"d be happy if it was sometimes this week.

Chiefster
01-05-2009, 10:27 PM
I don't think it'll be tonight, I"d be happy if it was sometimes this week.

I see, I must have misread the earlier posts.

tornadospotter
01-05-2009, 10:28 PM
:bananen_smilies046: But we want news that has nothing to do with, hockey, or soccer, or any other sport, but the NFL, and limited to the Kansas City Chiefs!!!

jerk.:D

Chiefster
01-05-2009, 10:33 PM
:bananen_smilies046: But we want news that has nothing to do with, hockey, or soccer, or any other sport, but the NFL, and limited to the Kansas City Chiefs!!!

jerk.:D

You have insulted jerks everywhere for the last time, and you have been fairly warned. So, you leave me no other alternative but to place you among the banned. :D

Canada
01-05-2009, 10:41 PM
You guys are just jealous cause we beat up on the US team!! :p

Chiefster
01-05-2009, 11:11 PM
You guys are just jealous cause we beat up on the US team!! :p

Jealous, I am not!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/01/3.jpg (http://www.freewebs.com/fame-us/yoda.jpg)

Canada
01-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Old you are. :11:

tornadospotter
01-05-2009, 11:48 PM
You have insulted jerks everywhere for the last time, and you have been fairly warned. So, you leave me no other alternative but to place you among the banned. :D
I would reply to this thread, but I am again, or what, banned? because I am a old:wheelchair: jerk. :D