PDA

View Full Version : Please stop dreaming about trading LJ!

jmlamerson
01-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Look, I understand that we don't want to cut LJ and take the cap hit. I understand we don't want to keep him and his behavior problems on the team. I understand we all think/know he can be a 1500/year back still in this league, and don't want to trade him for peanuts.

But everyone needs to realize that: We aren't getting high draft picks or starting players for LJ.

No team is going to trade a decent pick for a 30-year-old guy with his injury history, suspension threat, his 416 carry season, behavior problems, and big salary. He's a good one-dimensional back that can't block or catch well and who fumbled five times in 2008. Not to mention that RBs past 30 don't last for long historically.

Many teams might be interested in him as a FA, but GMs are become cheaper and cheaper at RB as everyone figures out the OL is becoming more and more important than individual RB talent. Playoff teams like the Colts (Rhodes), Giants (Ward and Bradshaw), Pittsburgh (Moore), and Cards (Hightower) have been able to plug in low round picks or cheap FAs as starters this year specifically for that reason. Big money contracts are not given to 30+ RBs anymore, especially one-dimenional ones.

Our best case is probably a 5th rounder for him. And that's only if we get very lucky with a very dumb GM.

texaschief
01-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Look, I understand that we don't want to cut LJ and take the cap hit. I understand we don't want to keep him and his behavior problems on the team. I understand we all think/know he can be a 1500/year back still in this league, and don't want to trade him for peanuts.

But everyone needs to realize that: We aren't getting high draft picks or starting players for LJ.

No team is going to trade a decent pick for a 30-year-old guy with his injury history, suspension threat, his 416 carry season, behavior problems, and big salary. He's a good one-dimensional back that can't block or catch well and who fumbled five times in 2008. Not to mention that RBs past 30 don't last for long historically.

Many teams might be interested in him as a FA, but GMs are become cheaper and cheaper at RB as everyone figures out the OL is becoming more and more important than individual RB talent. Playoff teams like the Colts (Rhodes), Giants (Ward and Bradshaw), Pittsburgh (Moore), and Cards (Hightower) have been able to plug in low round picks or cheap FAs as starters this year specifically for that reason. Big money contracts are not given to 30+ RBs anymore, especially one-dimenional ones.

Our best case is probably a 5th rounder for him. And that's only if we get very lucky with a very dumb GM.

Even with Hightower and James, the Cards still ranked dead last in rushing. LJ would be the back they need who they could count on for 1000 yards for the next 2 or 3 years.

jmlamerson
01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Even with Hightower and James, the Cards still ranked dead last in rushing. LJ would be the back they need who they could count on for 1000 yards for the next 2 or 3 years.

And they'd be a suitor for his services if he were a FA - but they'll draft a RB in the 2nd before they trade a 2nd for LJ, for salary purposes if nothing else.

texaschief
01-06-2009, 05:43 PM
And they'd be a suitor for his services if he were a FA - but they'll draft a RB in the 2nd before they trade a 2nd for LJ, for salary purposes if nothing else.

The Cardinals need a proven commodity at RB. They view their team as close and aren't going to wait for a rookie RB to contribute. If they want a RB in the 2nd, why not take one of the best in the league for that price?

jmlamerson
01-06-2009, 05:46 PM
The Cardinals need a proven commodity at RB. They view their team as close and aren't going to wait for a rookie RB to contribute. If they want a RB in the 2nd, why not take one of the best in the league for that price?

Because LJ can't block or catch passes, is overpaid, there are questions about his legs, he has attitude problems, and because he is facing a suspension if he steps even a little out of line?

Arizona learned its lessons about over-30 FA RBs with the Edge experiment. They're not making the same mistake twice.

texaschief
01-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Because LJ can't block or catch passes, is overpaid, there are questions about his legs, he has attitude problems, and because he is facing a suspension if he steps even a little out of line?

Arizona learned its lessons about over-30 FA RBs with the Edge experiment. They're not making the same mistake twice.

Really? This is the Cardinals we're talking about here. I think you're giving them WAY too much credit. :D

Chiefstillidie
01-06-2009, 06:48 PM
regardless of what happens lj needs to be gone from kc next year!:mob:

Drunker Hillbilly
01-06-2009, 07:10 PM
You guys are fooling yourselves if you even think the cardinals are in play here!!!!! First of all, the cardinals O line isn't much better than the Chiefs and second of all and more importantly, the Cardinals are a pass first team!! Kurt Warner plus Boldin and Fitzgerald equal not many carries for ANY RB hence the displeasure that James has voiced in the last couple of weeks.

Pro_Angler
01-06-2009, 07:55 PM

WELL SAID I CANT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!!!!!!

Canada
01-06-2009, 08:18 PM
yeah!!!!

I H8 Every Team But KC
01-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Really? This is the Cardinals we're talking about here. I think you're giving them WAY too much credit. :D

Exactly...isn't Kurt Warner like 72 years old now too? They could use an aging piece of sh*t like LJ...okay, we'll take Boldin straight up! :D

theaxeeffect4311
01-06-2009, 09:22 PM
You guys are fooling yourselves if you even think the cardinals are in play here!!!!! First of all, the cardinals O line isn't much better than the Chiefs and second of all and more importantly, the Cardinals are a pass first team!! Kurt Warner plus Boldin and Fitzgerald equal not many carries for ANY RB hence the displeasure that James has voiced in the last couple of weeks.

While I agree that the Cardinals have a high powered passing attack, it is for other reasons they don't go for LJ. They are paying their wide receivers a lot of money instead of a running back. Not a bad idea. However, the Cardinals have a way better O-line than the Chiefs. It's not even fair to compare.

But it is not crazy to think that LJ will be traded. You guys can complain all you want that LJ will not traded. But the thing is that you will not get the rest of us to want to keep LJ. If he gets traded, great. We were right. If LJ gets cut, great. He is off the team. No matter what you say will not change the fact that LJ needs to go. So go ahead and debate where LJ will end up because I'll just be happy he is gone.

Good luck to the rest of you.

hardcorechiefsfan
01-06-2009, 09:33 PM

I never expected to get alot for him considering his past. In fact I don't think any team(except for the Lions maybe)who would want him and his baggage. Just as long as he isn't with the chiefs, I'm happy.

leaves
01-06-2009, 09:40 PM
I love how we, as fans from a forum of a team with a 2-14 record, are making fun of how stupid the Arizona Cardinals are and could trade them LJ cause they're that dumb.. for real? LJ maybe traded somewhere due to the sole reason that he asked to leave, but there's so many good RB's now that he's nothing overly special to look at. The teams I would expect to think about it are teams like CIN, CLE, TB, SEA, but again there's tons of solid backs not even considering the draft prospects who are coming in.

Drunker Hillbilly
01-06-2009, 10:51 PM
While I agree that the Cardinals have a high powered passing attack, it is for other reasons they don't go for LJ. They are paying their wide receivers a lot of money instead of a running back. Not a bad idea. However, the Cardinals have a way better O-line than the Chiefs. It's not even fair to compare.

But it is not crazy to think that LJ will be traded. You guys can complain all you want that LJ will not traded. But the thing is that you will not get the rest of us to want to keep LJ. If he gets traded, great. We were right. If LJ gets cut, great. He is off the team. No matter what you say will not change the fact that LJ needs to go. So go ahead and debate where LJ will end up because I'll just be happy he is gone.

Good luck to the rest of you.
Trust me, I watch every Cardinals game along with every Chiefs game and there truly is not that much of a difference! While money is a consideration as to why Arizona will not be in any trade conversations for LJ but even if money were no issue, that just is not the type of team the Cardinals are. Never have been! For the last 20 years they have been a more pass oriented team. With the exception of the Larry Centers years, they have not had any luck with the run mainly due to the fact that their O line has historically been one of the worst in the NFL.

Big Daddy Tek
01-06-2009, 10:51 PM
No matter where LJ goes next year, he will be a friggin beast like you have never seen. Thats how this guy gets down. Maybe he made some off the field mistakes, but as far as he's concerned, the Chiefs let him and the rest of the team down by not running the ball and he IS gonna make them pay for it. I truely beleive that we didnt run the ball because we couldnt with our line (we went to the spread offense), but I dont think LJ cares about that. If LJ runs for less than 1500 next year, Im shocked.

hardcorechiefsfan
01-06-2009, 11:19 PM
I honestly don't care if we trade LJ, I don't care if he he ends up being the #1 RB - I just want him gone.

m0ef0e
01-07-2009, 12:16 AM
we'll see... it hasn't even started to hit the fan yet, Chiefs fans.

I H8 Every Team But KC
01-07-2009, 08:06 AM
No matter where LJ goes next year, he will be a friggin beast like you have never seen. Thats how this guy gets down. Maybe he made some off the field mistakes, but as far as he's concerned, the Chiefs let him and the rest of the team down by not running the ball and he IS gonna make them pay for it. I truely beleive that we didnt run the ball because we couldnt with our line (we went to the spread offense), but I dont think LJ cares about that. If LJ runs for less than 1500 next year, Im shocked.

When we tried traditional running he was hit behind the line most of the time in each game we did it. He gives about a half a$$ effort and is a cancer in the locker room. Just my opinion & observation but I'd like to see him go whether we get anything for him.

How nice would it look to have Charles and Ward (Giants) back there? His contract is up this year according to ESPN...

m0ef0e
01-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Remember the Broncos went through six RB's this year. They may look for somebody.

jmlamerson
01-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Remember the Broncos went through six RB's this year. They may look for somebody.

The Broncos go through 2-3 RBs minimum every year. They'll plug in someone cheap. They won't trade a high pick for a RB when they're able to chop block any 7th rounder into a 1000 yard back.

I don't think they'd be willing to pay LJ if he were a FA, much less trade for him.

m0ef0e
01-07-2009, 05:13 PM
The Broncos go through 2-3 RBs minimum every year. They'll plug in someone cheap. They won't trade a high pick for a RB when they're able to chop block any 7th rounder into a 1000 yard back.

I don't think they'd be willing to pay LJ if he were a FA, much less trade for him.

Probably not, but their system will most assuredly change now that the GM/HC that has orchestrated the donkeys' rushing attack for the last decade or so is gone. Who knows what the new donk ground game is going to look like? They just might go for a big name for the simple fact that they have gone thru so many RB's every year.

jmlamerson
01-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Probably not, but their system will most assuredly change now that the GM/HC that has orchestrated the donkeys' rushing attack for the last decade or so is gone. Who knows what the new donk ground game is going to look like? They just might go for a big name for the simple fact that they have gone thru so many RB's every year.

Anyone might do anything. But I can't imagine the new GM for the Broncos sitting in his office and thinking to himself: "We badly need to rebuild our defense, and we need youth on the interior of our OL. I know, I'll trade high draft picks for that RB who was arrested for spitting on women!"

I mean, the Broncos might start doing things drastically different in a lot of places, but the new GM will be charged first and foremost with fixing the defense, not with updating their 12th ranked run offense with a high priced malcontent.

Chiefster
01-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Please stop dreaming about trading LJ!

But, dreaming is just so much fun! :D

jap1
01-07-2009, 05:48 PM
When we tried traditional running he was hit behind the line most of the time in each game we did it. He gives about a half a$$ effort and is a cancer in the locker room. Just my opinion & observation but I'd like to see him go whether we get anything for him.

How nice would it look to have Charles and Ward (Giants) back there? His contract is up this year according to ESPN...

This is the exact argument I would make for why he did give a significant effort this year. In the Broncos game where he blew up he was fighting for every inch. I remember one play where the corner tried to dive at his knees, so LJ got low enough to go shoulder to shoulder with him and was able to get an extra 5 yards because of it. I would like to see anyone else try to average over 4 yards/carry behind our O-line this past year.

The only reason I would give for trading him is if a) he actually causes problems/arguments with other players in the locker room or with the press (which I have never seen any reports of) or b) he openly says that he doesnt want to play anymore. I realize he has said the latter, but he seemed to say he felt more like he was not welcome or needed here, so he wanted to go somewhere else.

I know most of you hate who he is and what he has done and want him gone at any cost. I like to set emotions aside and think of him as a player and asset. One that to me is very valuable. Maybe not worth the big salary that he has, but definitely not worthless.

jmlamerson
01-07-2009, 05:48 PM
But, dreaming is just so much fun! :D

It usually is! But everyone keeps saying that we can trade LJ for two high picks and use those picks to fix all of our problems. It's driving me batty when people say we can stay out of FA this year because we can trade LJ and use the picks to get the C and RG we need.

m0ef0e
01-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Anyone might do anything. But I can't imagine the new GM for the Broncos sitting in his office and thinking to himself: "We badly need to rebuild our defense, and we need youth on the interior of our OL. I know, I'll trade high draft picks for that RB who was arrested for spitting on women!"

I mean, the Broncos might start doing things drastically different in a lot of places, but the new GM will be charged first and foremost with fixing the defense, not with updating their 12th ranked run offense with a high priced malcontent.

True. Even if they did go after a big-name feature back, I doubt the donkeys would go after LJ. There are other guys out there at a comparable talent level that don't have the excess baggage LJ brings. The smart thing would be for them to stick with drafting RB's, IMHO. I was just throwing a big 'what if' out there. I would have mentioned the faders since "dirty-depends" Al Davis seems to love malcontents but they already have good backs in jokeland... maybe LJ for Fargas straight-up :lol::beer::bananen_smilies046::drunkhb:

I H8 Every Team But KC
01-07-2009, 06:45 PM
This is the exact argument I would make for why he did give a significant effort this year. In the Broncos game where he blew up he was fighting for every inch. I remember one play where the corner tried to dive at his knees, so LJ got low enough to go shoulder to shoulder with him and was able to get an extra 5 yards because of it. I would like to see anyone else try to average over 4 yards/carry behind our O-line this past year.

The only reason I would give for trading him is if a) he actually causes problems/arguments with other players in the locker room or with the press (which I have never seen any reports of) or b) he openly says that he doesnt want to play anymore. I realize he has said the latter, but he seemed to say he felt more like he was not welcome or needed here, so he wanted to go somewhere else.

I know most of you hate who he is and what he has done and want him gone at any cost. I like to set emotions aside and think of him as a player and asset. One that to me is very valuable. Maybe not worth the big salary that he has, but definitely not worthless.

My arguement for that is that he is not consistent with his efforts. He broke a large run in that game which I'm sure put him in the right spirits. We need him to be a leader when things aren't going well instead of a whiny b*tch. I also believe we were already running the Pistol in that game but I could be wrong. The year before when he got hurt I think everyone would agree that our Oline was worse than the line we had this year. I remember Kolby Smith having some pretty good games with that line when Johnson wasn't doing anything. The difference is Smith runs with passion & LJ could care less.

I definietly see your point but you aren't going to convince me that we are better off with him than without him.

wildcat
01-07-2009, 07:29 PM

They already have. You are forgetting about Emmit Smith. The Edge already was their second time.

jmlamerson
01-08-2009, 09:43 AM
They already have. You are forgetting about Emmit Smith. The Edge already was their second time.

Emmitt Smith was brought in to sell tickets to the (many) Cowboys fans in AZ and to fill the stadium, not to be a RB.

wildcat
01-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Emmitt Smith was brought in to sell tickets to the (many) Cowboys fans in AZ and to fill the stadium, not to be a RB.

Isn't that ultimately the reason any FA is signed (to sell tickets)?

jmlamerson
01-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Isn't that ultimately the reason any FA is signed (to sell tickets)?

No one in AZ though Emmitt Smith was a solution to their RB problem, and they didn't pay him much ($2M a year if memory serves). AZ was willing to sacrifice its running game and wins to sell tickets.

Whereas Edge was brought in to solve their RB problem. If he were traded for (and he won't be), LJ would be brought in to be their running game.

wildcat
01-08-2009, 11:43 AM
No one in AZ though Emmitt Smith was a solution to their RB problem, and they didn't pay him much ($2M a year if memory serves). AZ was willing to sacrifice its running game and wins to sell tickets.

Whereas Edge was brought in to solve their RB problem. If he were traded for (and he won't be), LJ would be brought in to be their running game.

$8M over 2 years...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2003/03/26/smith_cardinals030326.html

jmlamerson
01-08-2009, 11:47 AM
$8M over 2 years...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2003/03/26/smith_cardinals030326.html

Thanks. $4M/year. Anyway, he wasn't ever intended to be a force for them at RB, the way Edge was.

KristofLaw
01-09-2009, 09:13 AM
I honestly hope everything can be resolved with this LJ situation. I cannot understand how we went from the situation of having LJ and Priest in the backfield to our current situation. LJ has the talent and with a highly geared line in front of him, we back up a couple years. He's in the waning years of his prime, he still has time to win over all the Chiefs fans and possibly even attain legendary status. Do not give up on your Chiefs, even if the LJ situation doesn't turn around, whatever the situation, Larry Johnson , YOU are a CHIEF! The Chiefs RULE!!! Peace.

wildcat
01-09-2009, 09:37 AM
I honestly hope everything can be resolved with this LJ situation. I cannot understand how we went from the situation of having LJ and Priest in the backfield to our current situation. LJ has the talent and with a highly geared line in front of him, we back up a couple years. He's in the waning years of his prime, he still has time to win over all the Chiefs fans and possibly even attain legendary status. Do not give up on your Chiefs, even if the LJ situation doesn't turn around, whatever the situation, Larry Johnson , YOU are a CHIEF! The Chiefs RULE!!! Peace.

For me, it's not that we have given up on LJ or that we don't think he can do it any more. His character is why I question whether or not I want him to be a Chief. I would love to see him turn things around and get his life on tack, but at the same time I don't want to see him further damage the reputation of the Chiefs organization.

In comparison with most other organizations, the Chiefs have done a good job of bringing in players and coaches with high quality character. That is one thing that Peterson did right (with a few exceptions of course).

KristofLaw
01-09-2009, 09:55 AM
I couldn't agree more. Once you strap on that helmet, you're a Chief for life and you have to have respect for the image of the team, the community and yourself. LJ hasn't been the perfect embodiment of a Chief, yet he hasn't been as foul as others, in other organizations. I remember the work he has done in the community when he entered the league, and hope he can go back to those days both off the field as well as on the field. Maybe somebody needs to do the Jerry Maguire thing and talk about heart. "No heart, I'M ALL HEART MUTHAF'ER!!!!!!"

greg3564
01-09-2009, 05:07 PM
I couldn't agree more. Once you strap on that helmet, you're a Chief for life and you have to have respect for the image of the team, the community and yourself. LJ hasn't been the perfect embodiment of a Chief, yet he hasn't been as foul as others, in other organizations. I remember the work he has done in the community when he entered the league, and hope he can go back to those days both off the field as well as on the field. Maybe somebody needs to do the Jerry Maguire thing and talk about heart. "No heart, I'M ALL HEART MUTHAF'ER!!!!!!"

Yeah, slapping around women and flashing guns is really nothing in the grand scheme of things. :sign0153:

All the LJ fans need to accept the fact that his best days in KC are over. Thank God! He's been nothing but a whiny b!tch the entire time he's been here. His teammates don't like him, and a lot of fans don't like him. Vermeil was right when he called LJ out about him being a big baby. The writing was on the wall.

hardcorechiefsfan
01-09-2009, 05:25 PM
LJ was pointing guns at people??????

m0ef0e
01-09-2009, 05:58 PM
LJ was pointing guns at people??????

That's what his first assault charge was for.