PDA

View Full Version : Josh McDaniel's new Broncos Head Coach

TheLateGreat#58Fan
01-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Chris Mortensen reported this evening that McDaniels is the new HC for the Broncos. McDaniels is 32 years old and Bilichick's asst.'s havent been sure fire winners.

The questions that remain to be seen-
If we do get Pioli who will be our next HC (assuming Herm is out) the 2 names I have heard with Pioli are either Ferentz or McDaniel

The Broncos getting a very young Bilichick asst.- is that better news for us or will he be the exception to the rule

P.S. I will see you all in Canton when DT is enshrined in the Hall (I Pray

Canada
01-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Chris Mortensen reported this evening that McDaniels is the new HC for the Broncos. McDaniels is 32 years old and Bilichick's asst.'s havent been sure fire winners.

If we do get Pioli who will be our next HC (assuming Herm is out) the 2 names I have heard with Pioli are either Ferentz or McDaniel

The Broncos getting a very young Bilichick asst.- is that better news for us or will he be the exception to the rule

I am gonna try and get there for the weekend!! you buy the beer!?!? :bananen_smilies046::D

jmlamerson
01-11-2009, 10:11 PM

The idea of Pioli/Shanahan has been growing on me since I saw it suggested.

Rex Ryan, Kevin Gilbride, and Steve Spagnoulo (among several others) are quality assistants who would be great HCs, or at least better than we've currently got.

jerhart
01-11-2009, 10:13 PM

....well this does sh!t for their defense, so I guess it's good for us.

IMO we will sign Pioli, and I have heard Jim Schwartz the DC of the Titans could be ANOTHER possible HC option. I would be fine with a Pioli/Schwartz duo.

Coach
01-11-2009, 10:22 PM

Great job finding the news. The success rate for Belichick proteges has not been good. Let's hope those odds stay the same. Shanahan for McDaniels...They must have really wanted a change.

TheLateGreat#58Fan
01-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Canada- I will be there with the grill fired up and a Keg available for anyone with Chiefs gear on:bananen_smilies046:

- I am so tired of there being no "concrete" GM news, I know its a big choice for Clark but I have no patience for this- so hey Clark go ahead and hurry up:lol:

YZILLA
01-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Its not about clark making up his mind anymore . the Ball is in Piolis court. He needs to decide wether or not he wants to leave New England. And right now it seems as though we wont wait more than a week at the most . Clark isnt rushing him though. But we arent taking these steps lightly either , this is a decision that want to be life altering for the chiefs and we dont want to just grab the first guy who seems the best . Pioli is first on the agenda , then we will adress the Herm issue. Dont be surprised if Herm is here this year ( its a possibility) . Cowher wont coach until next year and has stated he likes the chiefs job . Shanahan has aslo shown interest. At least we have something to talk about in the offseason. Could be no Chiefs news anywhere like most years . This at least gives us all a chance to stay in touch until the draft !

texaschief
01-12-2009, 12:31 AM
ESPN was also saying Pioli is "emerging as the lead candidate for KC," but they also said contract negotiations haven't started.

I think the McDaniel signing is more of an indication of Pioli NOT coming to KC. Wouldn't McDaniel want to AT LEAST interview with a guy he knows and has worked with for a while (Pioli) if he believed Pioli was going to be a GM?

I also think the longer the GM search goes, the better the possibility becomes that Edwards stays. If Hunt/Pioli were serious about him becoming the GM and Edwards leaving, this thing would've been done by now. Especially if McDaniel was one of Pioli's top choices for HC. While a Pioli hire may still happen, the prospect of Edwards leaving is becoming slimmer by the day. If a major change in coaching and philosophy were going to occur, the longer they wait to bring in a new head coach, the harder its going to be for the new coaching staff to review tape, grade out performances and target free agents and scout college talent to fit the systems.

Edwards may not be one of the top 10 coaches in the league, but even if we brought in Cowher or whoever, they'd be operating with a severe time deficit. At least the current coaching staff is on schedule. They're already reviewing game tapes and grading out players while their scouting department has already been identifying players for April. I wonder if making a coaching change this season is really worth the deficit they'd be operating with.

The Chiefs aren't going to be contending for a Super Bowl next season. Edwards and his staff did a great job last year in the draft and identifying undrafted free agents to bring in. I think allowing him to continue coaching players who like him and his staff while continuing to add good, young players for another season wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I just don't see how bringing in a new coach and coaching staff this late in the off-season would be beneficial to the organization. The new coaching staff would know nothing about the current roster or how those players performed in the system they were playing in. Even if Pioli has decided to accept the job, contract negotiations haven't even started. That could take another week assuming the deal doesn't fall through. That puts us mid-January. Then, Pioli has to interview coaching candidates. This is another week or two at least (assuming he's a good GM and doesn't settle on guys like Ferentz). That puts us sometime around the Super Bowl in late January or early February. After we've found a new head coach, he needs to find and hire his staff which would take AT LEAST another week (if he knows EXACTLY who he wants and they agree immediately). Now, we're in the second week of February.

Now, the GM, HC and coaching staff are in place on let's say... the 9th of February. They have 20 days to review game film, grade the players, establish the defensive scheme, offensive scheme, decide who to re-sign, who to let go and who to cut, identify who in free agency would fit those systems and fill team needs because free agency starts on the 29th of Feb. Then, they only have two months until the draft.

If you compared that to other teams or even this one as it stands now, player evaluations will probably be done by the middle of this month by the latest. When you factor in that an extremely young team full of rookies, second and third year players would have to learn all new systems or terminology, I just don't see the benefit of changing the entire staff this year.

The one thing I will say though, is that the new GM and ownership will be put in a very precarious position if the Chiefs have an unexpectedly good year and end the year with a winning record. While I don't think firing Edwards would be a great decision this season, allowing him to captain this team to a winning record or playoff appearance next season could force the organization to extend his contract. I'm not positive this is in the best interest of the organization either.

Big Daddy Tek
01-12-2009, 02:01 AM
ESPN was also saying Pioli is "emerging as the lead candidate for KC," but they also said contract negotiations haven't started.

I think the McDaniel signing is more of an indication of Pioli NOT coming to KC. Wouldn't McDaniel want to AT LEAST interview with a guy he knows and has worked with for a while (Pioli) if he believed Pioli was going to be a GM?

I also think the longer the GM search goes, the better the possibility becomes that Edwards stays. If Hunt/Pioli were serious about him becoming the GM and Edwards leaving, this thing would've been done by now. Especially if McDaniel was one of Pioli's top choices for HC. While a Pioli hire may still happen, the prospect of Edwards leaving is becoming slimmer by the day. If a major change in coaching and philosophy were going to occur, the longer they wait to bring in a new head coach, the harder its going to be for the new coaching staff to review tape, grade out performances and target free agents and scout college talent to fit the systems.

Edwards may not be one of the top 10 coaches in the league, but even if we brought in Cowher or whoever, they'd be operating with a severe time deficit. At least the current coaching staff is on schedule. They're already reviewing game tapes and grading out players while their scouting department has already been identifying players for April. I wonder if making a coaching change this season is really worth the deficit they'd be operating with.

The Chiefs aren't going to be contending for a Super Bowl next season. Edwards and his staff did a great job last year in the draft and identifying undrafted free agents to bring in. I think allowing him to continue coaching players who like him and his staff while continuing to add good, young players for another season wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I just don't see how bringing in a new coach and coaching staff this late in the off-season would be beneficial to the organization. The new coaching staff would know nothing about the current roster or how those players performed in the system they were playing in. Even if Pioli has decided to accept the job, contract negotiations haven't even started. That could take another week assuming the deal doesn't fall through. That puts us mid-January. Then, Pioli has to interview coaching candidates. This is another week or two at least (assuming he's a good GM and doesn't settle on guys like Ferentz). That puts us sometime around the Super Bowl in late January or early February. After we've found a new head coach, he needs to find and hire his staff which would take AT LEAST another week (if he knows EXACTLY who he wants and they agree immediately). Now, we're in the second week of February.

Now, the GM, HC and coaching staff are in place on let's say... the 9th of February. They have 20 days to review game film, grade the players, establish the defensive scheme, offensive scheme, decide who to re-sign, who to let go and who to cut, identify who in free agency would fit those systems and fill team needs because free agency starts on the 29th of Feb. Then, they only have two months until the draft.

If you compared that to other teams or even this one as it stands now, player evaluations will probably be done by the middle of this month by the latest. When you factor in that an extremely young team full of rookies, second and third year players would have to learn all new systems or terminology, I just don't see the benefit of changing the entire staff this year.

The one thing I will say though, is that the new GM and ownership will be put in a very precarious position if the Chiefs have an unexpectedly good year and end the year with a winning record. While I don't think firing Edwards would be a great decision this season, allowing him to captain this team to a winning record or playoff appearance next season could force the organization to extend his contract. I'm not positive this is in the best interest of the organization either.

100% agree on everything, Tex. If Herm is not gone within the next two weeks, their is no way he is going and I can start pulling out my "I told ya so's" to everybody here.

texaschief
01-12-2009, 02:27 AM
100% agree on everything, Tex. If Herm is not gone within the next two weeks, their is no way he is going and I can start pulling out my "I told ya so's" to everybody here.

:lol: too bad the one that matters is no longer here.

Pro_Angler
01-12-2009, 08:20 AM
If for some freak of nature Herm isnt made the new GM and pioli is, Herm will be left on till next year.

jerhart
01-12-2009, 08:27 AM

I think someone like Pioli has more than one candidate in mind for a HC. I don't think 32 year old Josh Mcdaniels is the maker or breaker in this deal. I think you will hear an announcement of us signing Pioli as early as today. Although Clark is not leaking information, I think Pioli's side (NE) would have leaked information by now saying that the deal is not going to be done. Just my opinion.

drstandley31
01-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm not getting my hopes up about a new GM getting rid of Herm as soon as he gets here. I think we'll see Germ around for one more year. I hope not, but something tells me they'll let him serve his last year while the new GM gets a plan in place. Hey, maybe it's worth letting Germ go through this draft, let these kids get another year of experience and bring Cowher in next year..... oh gawd I can't take another year of it. Never mind. Hopefully I'm wrong and they rip the bandaid off all at once.

jtandcrew
01-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Thats the 1 bad thing about Carl not being here anymore. He woulda conveiently leaked some info to boost fan support! :lol: Now? We are standing in limbo since Clark is tight lipped! :lol: nvm, me stressing about it is giving me yet, another reason to drink! :bananen_smilies046: :drunkhb: :yahoo: :lol:

Canada
01-12-2009, 09:53 AM
You need reasons to drink? Here are a few....

Cause today is Monday (you can also insert Tues, Wed etc...)
Cause I have a dog
Cause I ran out of hamburgers
Cause my mother in law exists
Cause its cold out
Cause its hot out
Cause I have to shovel snow
Cause if I didnt drink the beer in the fridge it would go bad
Cause the sky is blue
Cause drugs can kill
Cause drinkin' makes ugly people pretty
Cause if we didnt drink the good people at Budweiser would lose their jobs
Cause its almost 10am
I have more if u need them, just let me know!! :bananen_smilies046:

drstandley31
01-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Thats the 1 bad thing about Carl not being here anymore. He woulda conveiently leaked some info to boost fan support! :lol: Now? We are standing in limbo since Clark is tight lipped! :lol: nvm, me stressing about it is giving me yet, another reason to drink! :bananen_smilies046: :drunkhb: :yahoo: :lol:
I just think about the last two seasons, and having to watch my friend's team still playing. Living 3 hours from Pittsburgh blows. There's as many steeler fans here as there are browns and bungles. it's awful, but makes for wonderful drinking.

tornadospotter
01-12-2009, 10:41 AM

Cause I have a dog
Cause its cold out
Cause its hot out
Cause the sky is blue
Cause drugs can kill
Cause its almost 10am

My fridge is empty!:sign0153: :frown:

Bike
01-12-2009, 12:44 PM

Cause I have a dog
Cause its cold out
Cause its hot out
Cause the sky is blue
Cause drugs can kill
Cause its almost 10am
I woke up.:bananen_smilies046:

Canada
01-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Its always last call somewhere!!

nigeriannightmare
01-12-2009, 06:52 PM

I think that you will find more people agreeing with you that we had Herm for at least 1 more season. Most threads, and people I know, thought that Herm and Carl would last until the end of each of their contracts. With Carl out and Clark being quiet your guess is as good as anybody elses. But you weren't the only one to think Herm was gonna stay, I want him outta here as much as the next guy. But Clark made it apparently clear last year that he was in it for the long haul. Dont take people saying he should be fired as he is gonna be fired. But the carl resignation was unexpected so the new gm will probably be somebody off our radar.

I just don't understand why a GM would sign on to an organization in which he doesn't have control over the guy he wants to bring in. I'll say I told ya so because I have been saying the deal is gonna have to be sweet to get somebody good in here. Not being able to get rid of a HC that's 6-26 over the last 2 seasons, isn't that sweet.

By the by, i don't give a rat's a** about injuries and youth. That argument is played out. good coaches find a way to win.

hardcorechiefsfan
01-13-2009, 01:36 AM
I can't imagine the broncos without Shanahan.

nigeriannightmare
01-13-2009, 06:20 PM

Now what. You were wrong, tex chiefs was wrong i was wrong and i have never been happier about being wrong as I am right now.

jerhart
01-13-2009, 06:24 PM
I think someone like Pioli has more than one candidate in mind for a HC. I don't think 32 year old Josh Mcdaniels is the maker or breaker in this deal. I think you will hear an announcement of us signing Pioli as early as today. Although Clark is not leaking information, I think Pioli's side (NE) would have leaked information by now saying that the deal is not going to be done. Just my opinion.

This guys is smart...eh and so I was a few hours off!! :lol:

Bike
01-13-2009, 08:22 PM
This guys is smart...eh and so I was a few hours off!! :lol:
Good call Jerhart!:bananen_smilies046: . Now can you tell us when we fire Herm and bring Spamoli??

jerhart
01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Good call Jerhart!:bananen_smilies046: . Now can you tell us when we fire Herm and bring Spamoli??

Let me check my crystal ball....mmmmkay....Herm will be gone tomorrow....Spagnola is in KC right now...his interview will be announced on Thursday....

....it's a stretch...but hey it's what the crystal ball says! :bananen_smilies046:

slc chief
01-13-2009, 09:30 PM
screw the donks and there new head coach the chiefs are taking over

McLovin
01-14-2009, 12:43 AM
I have heard a lot about Kirk Ferentz being big on Piolis list, so now that Pioli is here I am sure that talk will continue. Ok now some points and things I have heard...

1. Have heard Pioli likely has a list of people lined up and ready that he wasnt taking his time just to decide, that he had decided and was building HIS team.

2. Have heard Pioli will bring an entire coaching staff with him right down to the team doctors.

3. I feel Herm did have the right idea about rebuilding but he is a horrible clock manager, micro manages the assistants, takes no responsibility for anything and places ALL the blame on the players.

4. Still time for Herm to get a job coaching 5th grade flag football for next year, where the other coaches in the league will be relieved because their jobs just got easier.

5. Pioli is not only a Belicheck understudy, but also the son in law of Bill Parcells.

6. I have heard that Pioli may bring Matt Cassell with him as well as go out and get Romeo Crennel as a talent scout or D Coord (I believe it was D)

7. Herms Firing cant come soon enough for 2 reasons, he needs to leave our Chiefs but I do feel that the guy (as well as other coaches) should get a chance to look for other work while people are hiring.

8. And for the first time I will add, Hope Herm takes LJ with him, his drama is no longer needed in KC.

McLovin Out

jmlamerson
01-14-2009, 10:07 AM
I have heard a lot about Kirk Ferentz being big on Piolis list, so now that Pioli is here I am sure that talk will continue. Ok now some points and things I have heard...

1. Have heard Pioli likely has a list of people lined up and ready that he wasnt taking his time just to decide, that he had decided and was building HIS team.

2. Have heard Pioli will bring an entire coaching staff with him right down to the team doctors.

3. I feel Herm did have the right idea about rebuilding but he is a horrible clock manager, micro manages the assistants, takes no responsibility for anything and places ALL the blame on the players.

4. Still time for Herm to get a job coaching 5th grade flag football for next year, where the other coaches in the league will be relieved because their jobs just got easier.

5. Pioli is not only a Belicheck understudy, but also the son in law of Bill Parcells.

6. I have heard that Pioli may bring Matt Cassell with him as well as go out and get Romeo Crennel as a talent scout or D Coord (I believe it was D)

7. Herms Firing cant come soon enough for 2 reasons, he needs to leave our Chiefs but I do feel that the guy (as well as other coaches) should get a chance to look for other work while people are hiring.

8. And for the first time I will add, Hope Herm takes LJ with him, his drama is no longer needed in KC.

McLovin Out

Sounds great to me. I'm a little worried about Crennel, not because he's a bad coach, but because we are getting seriously overhauled on our defense (Crennel will want to run a 3-4) if that's true.