PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo News : Pioli's three big issues: Herm, Thigpen, and Tony G (Yahoo! Sports)

Coach
01-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Former New England Patriots general manager Scott Pioli is the brand new GM of the Kansas City Chiefs , which...

More... (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/rss/nfl/SIG=13mm863ch/*http%3A//sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Pioli-s-three-big-issues-Herm-Thigpen-and-Ton?urn=nfl,134323)

chiefnut
01-14-2009, 01:11 PM
herm- definately gone, Tony-trade for a 3rd rounder or keep, Tyler, definately keep...try him out as starter for 2009, w/this year under his belt he may settle in as a solid Qb...can be a #2 if no work out.......jmho

Canada
01-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Why does everyone want to trade Tony so bad?

jmlamerson
01-14-2009, 04:21 PM

No idea. Just as one part of our team (passing game, in this circumstance) begins to show some life, people want to raze it to the ground. TG is pretty necessary to that passing attack, and to jettison him for a 3rd rounder seems extremely short-sighted.

You trade underachieving players, not overachieving ones.

chiefnut
01-14-2009, 05:24 PM
No idea. Just as one part of our team (passing game, in this circumstance) begins to show some life, people want to raze it to the ground. TG is pretty necessary to that passing attack, and to jettison him for a 3rd rounder seems extremely short-sighted.

You trade underachieving players, not overachieving ones.

i think Tony is the best tight end to have ever played the game. that said i don't want to see him traded. that said it may still be the best thing for both he & the CHIEFS. I don't think he will want to continue playing for more than a few more years, and is currently still valuable addition to a team needing that one more weapon to make them a contender from a pretender. The CHIEFS may get a draft pick they can use twoards rebuilding, and Tony gets to finish his career with maybe a playoff win or two.

hometeam
01-14-2009, 05:40 PM
You also trade players that dont want to be there, and deserve to be traded to a super bowl contender becuase they are hall of famers and have given everything to your organization~

I would like to see TG back in KC, but if he wants out, we should let him, we owe him that much.

jmlamerson
01-14-2009, 05:55 PM
i think Tony is the best tight end to have ever played the game. that said i don't want to see him traded. that said it may still be the best thing for both he & the CHIEFS. I don't think he will want to continue playing for more than a few more years, and is currently still valuable addition to a team needing that one more weapon to make them a contender from a pretender. The CHIEFS may get a draft pick they can use twoards rebuilding, and Tony gets to finish his career with maybe a playoff win or two.

But we can be a contender over the next couple years! We just need to remove Herm Edwards from the Chiefs, and everything falls into place!

Canada
01-14-2009, 06:02 PM
You also trade players that dont want to be there, and deserve to be traded to a super bowl contender becuase they are hall of famers and have given everything to your organization~

I would like to see TG back in KC, but if he wants out, we should let him, we owe him that much.

...or you trade him to a team that you think is a SuperBowl contender that ends up sh!tting the bed and does not make the playoffs and we (the Chiefs) manage to win our division, make the playoffs and come up one passing weapon short of going deep into the playoffs. I believe Tiki Barber retired from the Giants the year before their SB. Think he regrets his decision?

....as far as owing him, has he not been paid millions of dollars by the organization. I think that is pretty fair compensation.

KristofLaw
01-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Is it just me or do we keep him til he's 50 and broken. If he wants out we chain him up and don't let him out until they want him in Canton and we have to let him go.

KristofLaw
01-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Is it just me or do we keep him til he's 50 and broken. If he wants out we chain him up and don't let him out until they want him in Canton and we have to let him go.
Then after he's gone to Canton we teach him how to be the TE coach and he coaches there forever!!!

Canada
01-14-2009, 06:04 PM

Thats what I'm talkin' about!! :bananen_smilies046:

hometeam
01-14-2009, 06:05 PM
...or you trade him to a team that you think is a SuperBowl contender that ends up sh!tting the bed and does not make the playoffs and we (the Chiefs) manage to win our division, make the playoffs and come up one passing weapon short of going deep into the playoffs. I believe Tiki Barber retired from the Giants the year before their SB. Think he regrets his decision?

True, but you cant just not trade players becuase the team that they are going to, which is supposed to be a SB contender, may not win it. And a player that wants to go to a SB contender to finish out his hall of fame career with a SB win will think the same thing.

Like I said, I would love to see TG in KC next season. Hell, he is half of the offense, but I think, that if he feels like he wants out ( which he did say earlier in the season, but I haven't heard anything lately on it ) then we should go ahead and let him becuase he has given his life, his career for the chiefs and been everything that they ever could have wanted. He deserves to be given the respect that he has garnered.

Canada
01-14-2009, 06:10 PM
True, but you cant just not trade players becuase the team that they are going to, which is supposed to be a SB contender, may not win it. And a player that wants to go to a SB contender to finish out his hall of fame career with a SB win will think the same thing.

Like I said, I would love to see TG in KC next season. Hell, he is half of the offense, but I think, that if he feels like he wants out ( which he did say earlier in the season, but I haven't heard anything lately on it ) then we should go ahead and let him becuase he has given his life, his career for the chiefs and been everything that they ever could have wanted. He deserves to be given the respect that he has garnered.

Yeah, but we can not trade a player because he is under contract with th Chiefs. We don't have to trade a guy just because he wants it.

So you would be willing to trade "half our offense" for a third round pick? Does that seem like a good idea? Why does trading him = respect? I think letting him retire a Chief while trying to win a championship for him is a much more respectful way to treat him.

KristofLaw
01-14-2009, 06:16 PM

Yeah but if times are harsh in a marriage, you don't just give up. Within football this is exactly how it is, some marriages just don't work, but this is not the case here. Tony G just needs to remember the through thick and thin part, when he retires, believe me he'll be talking about bleeding Kansas City red.

hometeam
01-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Yeah, but we can not trade a player because he is under contract with th Chiefs. We don't have to trade a guy just because he wants it.

So you would be willing to trade "half our offense" for a third round pick? Does that seem like a good idea? Why does trading him = respect? I think letting him retire a Chief while trying to win a championship for him is a much more respectful way to treat him.

This is not just any player, this is quite possibly the best player that KC has ever had on the team, and he has been nothing but a bright spot, and an utmost professional in the way he has approached the game on and off the field. This is why I am in the mindset that he deserves to be treated more along the lines of a human, rather than just a contract and a body. I am not TG, but if he still feels the same way from when he vocalized earlier this year that he wished to be on a SB contender, I think that he would take a different view on the 'respect' of 'letting' him retire on a team that probabaly wont have a shot at a championship while he can still play.

And you are correct, we dont 'have' to trade him, because he is under contract, and I am not saying KC should trade him becuase of any other reason than the fact that it would be the right thing to do for TG. I am going on the premise that the Kansas City Chiefs should show some love for a man who has made them millions of dollars, and been the face of the franchise. It goes both ways, just as TG showed his respect for the organization, played last year at the best of his ability after the trade deadline passed, after CP said he would get him traded, like the professional and good person that he is, its time for the Chiefs to do the same for him

Again, I want him to be back, he is a great player with several years left. And when I say 'half our offense' I am embelishing a bit. We could or could not take whatever we get for him and turn it into something positive, but that is not the point.

To get away from the 'why' for a moment I will say this as well; If he does get traded I say the Chiefs demand a 3rd round + conditionals, (whether it be draft picks/pick trades or whatever) just like they did last year before the deadline. The main difference here is, this time they will get it.

Canada
01-14-2009, 08:03 PM
I guess I think that trying to win him a championship in Red and Gold is a much better way to show our appreciation than trade him as a rent a player to a team that might make it to the SuperBowl. Where do you think he would rather win, KC or 31 other cities?

vqman
01-14-2009, 10:22 PM
This turned into the Tony G thread... LoL

tornadospotter
01-14-2009, 11:17 PM
I guess I think that trying to win him a championship in Red and Gold is a much better way to show our appreciation than trade him as a rent a player to a team that might make it to the Super Bowl. Where do you think he would rather win, KC or 31 other cities?
:sign0098: :bananen_smilies046: Tony deserves a SB ring, from a KANSAS CITY CHIEF'S SUPER BOWL WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sign0153:

we can do it, have faith.