PDA

View Full Version : Draft a QB or kiss Cowher goodbye!

D.A.S.
01-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Bill Cowher may very well be the next Chiefs coach. However, according to Jerome Bettis Cowher is looking for a job that has a franchise QB. The fans love Thigpen but coaches hate him because he can't play in an NFL style offense. If we keep horrible Herm Edwards and fire him at the end of next season we need a QB to land Cowher. It's either draft one, make a play for Cassel since he is the only young QB out there who will need a job (which I think KC will do since Cassel will want to start and Pioli will be able to get him here, I don't think they will get him though), or lose Cowher.

Bill Cowher and Scott Pioli in KC in 2010? | Larry Brown Sports (http://larrybrownsports.com/football/bill-cowher-scott-pioli-kansas-city-chiefs-2010/4805)

hardcorechiefsfan
01-17-2009, 12:41 AM
I thought Cowher has already decided to stay with the half-time show. I honestly think its dreaming to contemplate getting him.

But hey, I would love it if we got Cassel. But he is a good backup to Brady - the patriots won't let go of him.

leoness8
01-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Everyone is big about Matt Cassel right now and I dont know why. Yes he played well during the season for the patriots, but that was only one season. Who knows what he will bring next season. Some qbs can have one or two good seasons and than easily flop. I dont think there is a need to bring in a guy like matt cassel...he isnt much better than Thigpen anyway. If they bring in a QB it should be a guy that is proven and consistant to help out Thigpen as well as if the chiefs draft a rookie QB.

Hayvern
01-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Bill Cowher may very well be the next Chiefs coach. However, according to Jerome Bettis Cowher is looking for a job that has a franchise QB. The fans love Thigpen but coaches hate him because he can't play in an NFL style offense. If we keep horrible Herm Edwards and fire him at the end of next season we need a QB to land Cowher. It's either draft one, make a play for Cassel since he is the only young QB out there who will need a job (which I think KC will do since Cassel will want to start and Pioli will be able to get him here, I don't think they will get him though), or lose Cowher.

Bill Cowher and Scott Pioli in KC in 2010? | Larry Brown Sports (http://larrybrownsports.com/football/bill-cowher-scott-pioli-kansas-city-chiefs-2010/4805)

Yeah, I heard that and even posted a post about that before. That is a concern and if that is what it takes to get Cowher, then I say we forget him. Seriously, If Cowher was the head coach here, he would see that we have more important problems than a franchise quarterback.

In reality, not long after that statement was made, I also read where other "in the know people" were saying he was just saying that to be able to turn down the Jets and Browns advances.

Furthermore, drafting the number one best quarterback in the draft does not mean you have a franchise guy. Seriously as much as I would love to have Cowher here, if it means throwing away a pick on a QB in this draft to get him, then I say goodbye Cowher, there are other good coaches out there.

D.A.S.
01-17-2009, 01:02 AM
Everyone is big about Matt Cassel right now and I dont know why. Yes he played well during the season for the patriots, but that was only one season. Who knows what he will bring next season. Some qbs can have one or two good seasons and than easily flop. I dont think there is a need to bring in a guy like matt cassel...he isnt much better than Thigpen anyway. If they bring in a QB it should be a guy that is proven and consistant to help out Thigpen as well as if the chiefs draft a rookie QB.

I completely agree. I'm not drinking the Cassel kool-aid either. I do think he could woo in a coach though since he does look promising. We'll see if he can do it.

windwalker
01-17-2009, 09:41 AM

I am so sick of hearing the statement that "Thigpen CAN'T play a NFL style offense.. Heck, no one could with the O-line we had this year.. Some of you fans ought to really get over this "quick fix" syndrome.
You build the team from the inside out.. O-line, and front 7...

Then see what a QB can do..

JMDChiefs58
01-17-2009, 11:16 AM

Hey I like Thigpen but facts are facts:
2008 season , Tyler Thigpen - 1 win , Matt Cassel 11 wins.

I'd take Cassel here in a heartbeat. He knows how to win a football game.

Coach
01-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I heard that and even posted a post about that before. That is a concern and if that is what it takes to get Cowher, then I say we forget him. Seriously, If Cowher was the head coach here, he would see that we have more important problems than a franchise quarterback.

In reality, not long after that statement was made, I also read where other "in the know people" were saying he was just saying that to be able to turn down the Jets and Browns advances.

Furthermore, drafting the number one best quarterback in the draft does not mean you have a franchise guy. Seriously as much as I would love to have Cowher here, if it means throwing away a pick on a QB in this draft to get him, then I say goodbye Cowher, there are other good coaches out there.

Excellent post. I also would like Cowher very badly. But as you have said, it can't be at all costs.

This isn't 1-on-1 basketball. There are a few more guys on the roster that help determine that win column.

jerhart
01-17-2009, 11:28 AM

Matt Cassel wouldn't have gotten 11 wins here last season.

leaves
01-17-2009, 11:57 AM
yeah its pretty hard to say Cassel is legit better than Thig. You can't compare a guy with a top OL, WR's, DEF, and good RB's with a guy with ok OL, ok WR's, ok DEF, and no RB success.

Not to mention if the only reason that Cowher wouldn't come here in 2010 is because of lack of franchise qb, he can wait til then to draft his own franchise qb from the plethora next year. Then we get a full year for Thigpen, Cowher gets his pick from the patch, etc.

KristofLaw
01-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Good points. Matt Cassel played in a Belichick system with some outstanding offensive players. Put him on the Lions and what's he gonna win? For me, trading for him is a risk even though our new GM is familiar with him. There is a world of difference between the GMs office and coaching the sidelines.

chiefnut
01-17-2009, 12:07 PM
i think if Thigpen plays on the pats they win 11 games, if casalls plays on the CHIEFS, we win 2 games

OTR Chiefs fan
01-17-2009, 12:23 PM

I would be very surprised if we got either Cowher or Cassell. First, when Cowher decides to coach again he's going to ask for a lot of money and I think he'll want to coach a high profile team that's close to winning a chamionship. Which currently the Chiefs aren't either. And I'd be surprised if the Chiefs will be willing to pay Cowher's asking price. Second, I don't see any way the Patriots will let Cassell get away. Especially, when Brady's return is still not certain when that will be. :11: :D

Hayvern
01-17-2009, 01:09 PM
I am so sick of hearing the statement that "Thigpen CAN'T play a NFL style offense.. Heck, no one could with the O-line we had this year.. Some of you fans ought to really get over this "quick fix" syndrome.

Here here by Godfrey, rep added!

I too am so sick of people who think that we had to change our offense for Thigpen to be comfortable. You bought into another of Squirmin Herman's lies!

Look, they went with the spread because of the offensive line. In fact, later in the season, Squirmin Herman even came out and said that the reason they went with the spread was more for the offensive lineman than it was for Thigpen. It made the young offensive line more comfortable, but it also helped Thigpen too.

Look, there is a reason high schools, colleges and sand lots all over America use the spread offense. to give the QB, that one more second to make a connection with a receiver, and to spread the defense out allowing someone to get open quicker. Why do you need to do these things, usually because those people playing on the offensive line cannot block the defenders and your poor QB finds himself on his backside more often than not.

One more thing about Cassel. When you look at our games this season and the scores of those games, you will see that there are 8 games where we lost by a touchdown or less. Guess what, if the defense played just a little bit better in those games, Thigpen is a 10 and 6 quarterback.

Yeah, right now I am a Thigpen fan, the kid has done more this season than any of the other Qbs we have, he is mobile, his passes have gotten much better since Atlanta.

Look it is a team game, but we can actually compare his stats in his first real year to two first round drafted quarterbacks. Go on over to NFL.com and compare, go on, I'll wait.

Ok, back? Now we see that Thigpen actually performed as well, if not better than Flacco but not as good as Ryan. To me that makes him look like a first round pick. Is he the answer? I don't know for sure, but if the Chiefs had finished 10 and 6 from a little better defensive play with Thigpen at the helm, we would not be having this discussion.

tornadospotter
01-17-2009, 01:25 PM
:sign0098: :11: Thig will be just fine imo.

okikcfan
01-17-2009, 01:33 PM
This is a whole new ball game sorta speak with Pioli. He loves the draft and he knows what he wants and he knows how to pick'em. I have said this in the past and I still believe Pioli will keep thig. But I also believe he will grab a QB in the draft, First round? Maybe and maybe not, and I believe he will get a young proven vet for a complete knock down drag out at camp.

Hayvern
01-17-2009, 01:38 PM
This is a whole new ball game sorta speak with Pioli. He loves the draft and he knows what he wants and he knows how to pick'em. I have said this in the past and I still believe Pioli will keep thig. But I also believe he will grab a QB in the draft, First round? Maybe and maybe not, and I believe he will get a young proven vet for a complete knock down drag out at camp.

Agreed! I believe a QB is on the menu this draft, I am pretty sure that it will not be a first round pick.

tornadospotter
01-17-2009, 01:42 PM
I would be ok with drafting a QB in the later rounds. Just not early.

kc247
01-17-2009, 02:47 PM

I too am so sick of people who think that we had to change our offense for Thigpen to be comfortable. You bought into another of Squirmin Herman's lies!

Look, they went with the spread because of the offensive line. In fact, later in the season, Squirmin Herman even came out and said that the reason they went with the spread was more for the offensive lineman than it was for Thigpen. It made the young offensive line more comfortable, but it also helped Thigpen too.

Look, there is a reason high schools, colleges and sand lots all over America use the spread offense. to give the QB, that one more second to make a connection with a receiver, and to spread the defense out allowing someone to get open quicker. Why do you need to do these things, usually because those people playing on the offensive line cannot block the defenders and your poor QB finds himself on his backside more often than not.

One more thing about Cassel. When you look at our games this season and the scores of those games, you will see that there are 8 games where we lost by a touchdown or less. Guess what, if the defense played just a little bit better in those games, Thigpen is a 10 and 6 quarterback.

Yeah, right now I am a Thigpen fan, the kid has done more this season than any of the other Qbs we have, he is mobile, his passes have gotten much better since Atlanta.

Look it is a team game, but we can actually compare his stats in his first real year to two first round drafted quarterbacks. Go on over to NFL.com and compare, go on, I'll wait.

Ok, back? Now we see that Thigpen actually performed as well, if not better than Flacco but not as good as Ryan. To me that makes him look like a first round pick. Is he the answer? I don't know for sure, but if the Chiefs had finished 10 and 6 from a little better defensive play with Thigpen at the helm, we would not be having this discussion.
Yeah I agreed. I don't think we need a qb. Tyler did a great job with the team we had. Its about time someone talked about the defense. Gunther just aint gettin done!!! If we had just a little bit of a defense we would have been 10-6 and division champs. Look at the tampa bay game...up by 21 points and can't get the job done. All the defense had to do is stop them for 59 more seconds..give me a break. If we do keep herm we need to fire gunther!!!!!

jerhart
01-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Yeah I agreed. I don't think we need a qb. Tyler did a great job with the team we had. Its about time someone talked about the defense. Gunther just aint gettin done!!! If we had just a little bit of a defense we would have been 10-6 and division champs. Look at the tampa bay game...up by 21 points and can't get the job done. All the defense had to do is stop them for 59 more seconds..give me a break. If we do keep herm we need to fire gunther!!!!!

No worries...I think he may go to Detroit.
NFL.com Blogs Gunter Cunningham (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/gunter-cunningham/)

If he goes, this would be the 3rd coach on our staff to make a lateral coaching change to another team...I think. This makes me think more and more that Herm is going to be gone.

OTR Chiefs fan
01-17-2009, 04:39 PM

I agree that Thigpen played well enough this season to earn the starting job or at least the right to compete for the starting job next season. IMO, if I were the Chiefs I would pencil Thigpen in as the starter and have Croyle as the back up. Then look to pick up a QB in the 3rd-4th round of the draft and groom him for the future. That way we could use our early round picks on the defense where we need to most help. :11: :D

D.A.S.
01-17-2009, 05:01 PM

Don't tell me, tell Bill Cowher.

okikcfan
01-17-2009, 05:09 PM
I agree that Thigpen played well enough this season to earn the starting job or at least the right to compete for the starting job next season. IMO, if I were the Chiefs I would pencil Thigpen in as the starter and have Croyle as the back up. Then look to pick up a QB in the 3rd-4th round of the draft and groom him for the future. That way we could use our early round picks on the defense where we need to most help. :11: :D

I don't believe Coyle will be in the picture next year, nor will Damon..

hometeam
01-17-2009, 05:16 PM
cowher yes. cassel no.

billb40
01-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Tyler(small guy) QB rating 76. I think we should make him our franchise QB with the stat. 18 td 12 int. Can he see over the def. Maybe that is another reason for the spread. 76 is that because we had a poor defense???

RedZones
01-17-2009, 08:42 PM
We tried the whole draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round and try to groom him, and that's how we ended up in the mess this season, his name was Brodie Croyle.

Thigpen deserves more credit than what he is getting, I hope that he proves every single doubter that just want's to blame someone wrong!

I feel that he is a talented athlete that will be able to excel with the right talent around him. He's young, basically a rookie and he is ranked 13th in the NFL this season with 18 TD passes, one less than Chad Pennington, and people raved about how great of a season he had and Thigpen only played like Half a season.

He's young, he's got a lot of heart and drive, I think he will do wonders for this team if given the opportunity.

Hayvern
01-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Tyler(small guy) QB rating 76. I think we should make him our franchise QB with the stat. 18 td 12 int. Can he see over the def. Maybe that is another reason for the spread. 76 is that because we had a poor defense???

Yeah, you know you're right, I guess he is not good enough. I changed my mind, I guess we would have rather had these players their first year eh?

Peyton Manning: 71 Rating, 26 Int
Eli Manning: 55 Rating, 17 Int
John Elway: 54 Rating, 14 Int

If we had these guys and we listened to you, we would have dumped them for a new draft pick. By the way, there is a very good chance that any quarterback picked will not put up as good of numbers as Thigpen has.

leaves
01-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Thigpen is a good foundation for the team. Other than TG he really was the 2nd best offensive player. He's young and takes blame without the backfire, he's mobile, he listens everyone, and has reasonable composure. Why not stick with him until there's another qb who can fit into our puzzle.

okikcfan
01-17-2009, 11:21 PM
If the Patriots do not place the franchise tag on Cassel, Pioli could very likely attempt to bring him in to be the centerpiece of his new team.

Coach
01-17-2009, 11:50 PM
The Pats will not lose Cassell. They are more likely to lose Tom Brady. Seriously. I like Thigpen if we stay with the "spread" offense. If we change, then I think it is a crapshoot.

Bike
01-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Don't tell me, tell Bill Cowher.
Why would Cowher care. He's not employed here...

Bike
01-18-2009, 12:02 AM
The Pats will not lose Cassell. They are more likely to lose Tom Brady. Seriously. I like Thigpen if we stay with the "spread" offense. If we change, then I think it is a crapshoot.
Have to agree. Cassell stays.

hardcorechiefsfan
01-18-2009, 03:14 AM
I hope the chiefs lose Brody Croyle. He is so apt to get hurt.

hometeam
01-18-2009, 04:04 AM
Cassel will want to go, and if he does, and ends up at KC, I will throw up constantly until he proves himself.

So please, Pioli, do not make me do that!

leaves
01-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Haven't the Pats already franchised Cassel, so it's really not worth the cost. I think the majority of us agree here, no Cassel.

Chieffaninfl
01-18-2009, 12:47 PM
yeah its pretty hard to say Cassel is legit better than Thig. You can't compare a guy with a top OL, WR's, DEF, and good RB's with a guy with ok OL, ok WR's, ok DEF, and no RB success.

Not to mention if the only reason that Cowher wouldn't come here in 2010 is because of lack of franchise qb, he can wait til then to draft his own franchise qb from the plethora next year. Then we get a full year for Thigpen, Cowher gets his pick from the patch, etc.
Exactly, put Thigpen on the Paats and he gets more than 1 win. You have to remember with all the poor performances we had last year (Oline, rb,def) Thigpen had us in the majority of those games, and scoring late to take the lead. Then our Defense couldnt stop anyone. I think Thigpen should get another chance to compete for the starting job next year. But first dump Huard, and Croyle and bring in someone else to compete with him. Then let the best man win.

leaves
01-18-2009, 02:03 PM
I would keep Croyle as the 3rd qb, Huard oughta jus retire cuz he's a waste of time by now, then draft/shop a 2nd qb guy. I love too, how much praise Cassel gets for his speed. Judging by the run coverage on Cassels quicks, if Thigpen were there he woulda had at least 500 rush yds and 6-7 rush tds. I should mention part of the reason I don't like Matt Cassel is cuz, living in New England, I saw him at a training camp and he was acting really arrogant for a backup.

balto
01-18-2009, 06:07 PM
CASSEL is SOOO BAD!!!!!!!

Pioli would loose ALL respect he has got from me so far if he brings this piece of crap QB here.

Say no to Cassel.

OTR Chiefs fan
01-18-2009, 09:41 PM
I don't believe Coyle will be in the picture next year, nor will Damon..

I agree that Huard probably won't be back next season. But I think they will give Croyle the chance to compete and probably be the back up. Who would replace him if they let Croyle go? Quinn Gray to me is just another Huard, a veteran QB who's been around the block once too many times. Then we would have to look to FA for a back up when we could use it for another position we need. And a drafted QB won't be ready to assume that role right away unless we lucked out on a Ryan or Flacco type, which is the exceptional rather than the rule. So why not keep Croyle as a back up, draft a QB in the 3rd-4th round and groom him for the future. :D

jap1
01-18-2009, 11:48 PM
I agree that Huard probably won't be back next season. But I think they will give Croyle the chance to compete and probably be the back up. Who would replace him if they let Croyle go? Quinn Gray to me is just another Huard, a veteran QB who's been around the block once too many times. Then we would have to look to FA for a back up when we could use it for another position we need. And a drafted QB won't be ready to assume that role right away unless we lucked out on a Ryan or Flacco type, which is the exceptional rather than the rule. So why not keep Croyle as a back up, draft a QB in the 3rd-4th round and groom him for the future. :D

If by been around the block you mean that Quinn Gray is too old, I think you are wrong. He has only been playing for 5 or 6 years, so I dont think that qualifies him as a senior citizen yet.

Hayvern
01-18-2009, 11:57 PM
If by been around the block you mean that Quinn Gray is too old, I think you are wrong. He has only been playing for 5 or 6 years, so I dont think that qualifies him as a senior citizen yet.

He'll be 30 next season, while that is not too old, it also means that he is hardly the future for the team.

jap1
01-19-2009, 12:01 AM
He'll be 30 next season, while that is not too old, it also means that he is hardly the future for the team.

I agree. He is definitely not a QBOTF, but I think he can be a capable backup to the QBOTF, whomever we decide that to be. I dont mind keeping him around as either 2nd or 3rd string.

Coach
01-19-2009, 12:05 AM
No worries...I think he may go to Detroit.
NFL.com Blogs Gunter Cunningham (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/gunter-cunningham/)

If he goes, this would be the 3rd coach on our staff to make a lateral coaching change to another team...I think. This makes me think more and more that Herm is going to be gone.

Make me wonder as well.

texaschief
01-19-2009, 12:17 AM
I think the writing was on the wall already for Cunningham and the fact that the new Lions coach is a close friend of Gunther's makes the move not too surprising. I don't think its an indication of Herm's future one way or the other.

As far as the other coaches are concerned, how many of our other coaches have been asked for (confirmed) interviews from other teams? Those other coaches might be of the mind set that they don't know what's happening in KC for sure over the next year, so they might be wanting to secure their futures definitively.

Pro_Angler
01-19-2009, 02:48 PM
I have a love hate relationship with the way the chiefs go about getting personell and players. They keep it secret from everyone. I love the fact we keep everyone guessing and hate the fact that i dont know what they are doing.

Pro_Angler
01-19-2009, 03:00 PM
I hate it that there are many mock drafts picking us to get Sanchez. This guy is just going to be a bust. He is way too short for the NFL at 6'2" and 225lb. another Croyle in the making. if we get any QB we need a big tough bruiser type guy. And the guy is only a junior to boot.

chiefnut
01-19-2009, 03:05 PM
don't expect Pioli to draft a QB early, the pats last qb drafted in the 1st round was bledsoe, before that was plunkett. he'll look for a late round gem.

balto
01-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Not True,

The reason they Drafted Bledsoe is because they didn't have there QOTF.

The Reason they took Brady so late is because they already had Drew and the reason they took Cassell is because they already had Brady SOOO it seems They will take a QB in the first couple of rounds IF they DO NOT have one already. So you might look for Pioli to get our QB with our first pick.

Pro_Angler
01-19-2009, 04:16 PM
WE HAVE A GOOD QB. better then anything we will get from the draft for atleast the first few years..geez. Thigpen averaged 21pts a game, blame the defence not him.

hometeam
01-19-2009, 05:14 PM
6'2 225 is the perfect size for a qb. That being said, sanchez is not the answer

KristofLaw
01-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Not True,

The reason they Drafted Bledsoe is because they didn't have there QOTF.

The Reason they took Brady so late is because they already had Drew and the reason they took Cassell is because they already had Brady SOOO it seems They will take a QB in the first couple of rounds IF they DO NOT have one already. So you might look for Pioli to get our QB with our first pick.
Pioli didn't draft Bledsoe, neither did Belichick.

KCCAT21
01-19-2009, 06:01 PM
I really hope we don't take a qb with the 3rd pick. I don't see any way Sanchez or anyother qb in this class is good enough bring that high of a pick.

KristofLaw
01-19-2009, 06:15 PM
I really hope we don't take a qb with the 3rd pick. I don't see any way Sanchez or anyother qb in this class is good enough bring that high of a pick.
I agree 1000%. The only QB I could see warranting that pick is gone til next year and I hope we don't have the choice for him short of some shrewd trades. Pre-Bowl games, Sanchez was thought of as 3rd round and I still think he is the best of this years draft class.

Coach
01-19-2009, 10:46 PM
6'2 225 is the perfect size for a qb. That being said, sanchez is not the answer

That's me! Finally my meal ticket. With the 3rd pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Chiefs have selected Coach out of Ball State University.
:yahoo: :smilies_musik45: :Tool:

Pro_Angler
01-19-2009, 10:51 PM
your hired coach...Oh by the way you have to play behind last years chiefs o-line..muhahahaha

Coach
01-19-2009, 10:54 PM
your hired coach...Oh by the way you have to play behind last years chiefs o-line..muhahahaha

For that kind of jack, I'd he happy to play behind any kind of line. Ahhhh, the groupies. Life will be good.

tornadospotter
01-19-2009, 11:23 PM
For that kind of jack, I'd he happy to play behind any kind of line. Ahhhh, the groupies. Life will be good.
OK, but we get free tickets and beer, and send us some cute cheerleaders to serve the beer.:D :bananen_smilies046:

Vandelay
01-19-2009, 11:36 PM
OK, but we get free tickets and beer, and send us some cute cheerleaders to serve the beer.:D :bananen_smilies046:
Beer, cheerleaders, I'm in.:bananen_smilies046:

Canada
01-20-2009, 12:24 AM

You better sign a fat contract old man!! :drunkhb:

kcmostwanted
01-20-2009, 11:20 PM
I honestly don't know why people are so sold on the QB's next year. I mean seriously, all of them are coming out of spread offenses and that doesn't exactly translate to success in the NFL. The spread offense is fun to watch in college but I think it's really hurting the players when they come into the NFL.

I would much rather take a shot at a prostyle QB this year than wait for Bradford next year (who will likely be #1 pick).

For some reason, I'm not really sold on any of these QB's but I would take Sanchez over Stafford and Bradford at this point (I honestly think Bradford is a system QB..kinda like Colt Brenan)....We can at least look at the recent drafts and see that Carson Palmer (needs an O-line) and Matt Cass. are having success in the NFL after they came out of the USC system ( I think Lienart could be good too but he's too Hollywood for the NFL).