PDA

View Full Version : are they looking at todd haley ????????

slc chief
01-20-2009, 07:58 AM
maybe herm is staying i hope not but if he does leave maybe they are looking at this guy

Chiefs should pick a Card for their coach (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/988410.html)
0 Comment (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/chiefs-should-pick-a-card-for-their-coach-194462.html)
January 19 Kansas City Star
columnist Jason Whitlock
"Maybe the winter winds will twist Herm Edwards for two more weeks.
Todd Haley, offensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals, won't be completely free until after the Super Bowl.
He and the Cardinals continued their unfathomable playoff run Sunday afternoon, slipping past the Philadelphia Eagles 32-25 in the NFC championship game, putting the Cardinals in football's biggest game for the first time in history.
Are you kidding me?
Bill Bidwill's Cardinals are going to play on sports' grandest stage.
No way. America will elect an inexperienced black president with a Muslim-sounding name before the Cardinals play in a Super Bowl.
Oh, snap. Any and everyone associated with the Cardinals' rise is football royalty right now.
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt is the next Bill Belichick. Receiver Larry Fitzgerald (nine receptions, 152 yards and three TDs) is the next Jerry Rice. Quarterback Kurt Warner (21 of 28, 279 yards and four TDs) is the next Johnny Unitas, a semi-pro hanger-on-turned-Hall of Famer.
And maybe, if we're lucky, Todd Haley is the next head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.
Why not? Haley fits the profile. He's a Bill Parcells disciple with long-ago connections to Scott Pioli. Haley and Pioli were together in the 1990s with the Jets, Parcells and Belichick. When Parcells and Belichick split, Pioli went with Belichick to New England and Haley remained loyal to Parcells.
"I consider Parcells my mentor," Haley told me in the Cardinals' celebratory locker room. "My dad works for the Dolphins now."
Working for Parcells as a receivers coach, Haley was a part of monumental rebuilding projects with the Jets and the Cowboys. Raising Arizona as the offensive coordinator for the last two years completes Haley's understudy resume. He's ready to run his own shop.
"If you can do it here, where it's never been done, that's what you want to be a part of," Haley said. "This is the turnaround of all turnarounds."
Hmm. He might want to take a look at the Kansas City roster before making such bold statements. When he arrived in the desert, Fitzgerald, Warner, Anquan Boldin and Edgerrin James were already waiting, baking and looking for direction.
Haley simply needed to let his play-calling imagination run wild. Oh, and he had to manage a few oversized egos."

dbolan
01-20-2009, 09:51 AM
He could do it and he is firey. That is what is needed. We NEED someone that can actually HELP develop our QB (whoever is may be) and our WR's!!

Three7s
01-20-2009, 10:53 AM
This doesn't matter because we aren't getting a new head coach.

Bike
01-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Somebody please stab me with a corkscrew, then thrice kick me in the head.

Seek
01-20-2009, 12:37 PM
From the sounds of it, this guy communicates through arguments. He and Boldin got into an argument duing the game on Sunday , which was Bolding being a baby because he wasn't included in the package plays called by Haley, but Haley was quick to argue back.

When asked about it, everyone said this happens all the time. Even Kurt Warner got into a argumnt with him in the first half of the game.

I am not sure I want another hot headed Gunther Cunningham type of HC.

hometeam
01-20-2009, 12:44 PM
From the sounds of it, this guy communicates through arguments. He and Boldin got into an argument duing the game on Sunday , which was Bolding being a baby because he wasn't included in the package plays called by Haley, but Haley was quick to argue back.

When asked about it, everyone said this happens all the time. Even Kurt Warner got into a argumnt with him in the first half of the game.

I saw lots of arguing during the game with hley and players.

This cant be allowed, you have to be the bigger man, if you argue with people even one time, it opens you up to more.

That doesnt mean he wont be a good head coach.. someday.. Please not this year with the Chiefs though.

Bike
01-20-2009, 12:56 PM
These incidents last Sunday won't promote Haley to HC anytime soon. The head coach (and any coach for that matter) must demand respect from his players - or they simply won't play for you.
We need a coach that can build a team, not to continually tear it down as Herm has...
No to Haley.

texaschief
01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Can someone explain to me why this guy is even being considered? He's responsible for THE WORST rushing attack in the league while he has James and Hightower in the backfield. His offensive attack relies heavily on Kurt Warner's ability to lead, recognize and execute to a WR corp that dons one of if not THE best WR in the league in Larry Fitzgerald and another WR who's probably thought of as being in the top 10 in the league in Anquan Boldin.

Why is making a commitment to this guy better than making a commitment to a better prospect next year? This will be an awful hire.

Bike
01-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Can someone explain to me why this guy is even being considered? He's responsible for THE WORST rushing attack in the league while he has James and Hightower in the backfield. His offensive attack relies heavily on Kurt Warner's ability to lead, recognize and execute to a WR corp that dons one of if not THE best WR in the league in Larry Fitzgerald and another WR who's probably thought of as being in the top 10 in the league in Anquan Boldin.

Why is making a commitment to this guy better than making a commitment to a better prospect next year? This will be an awful hire.
Have to agree. As much as I would like to see Herm outta here, Haley not the long-term solution to what we need...

Bigmoe
01-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Haley is the new hot head coach candidate. But I agree with others, you simply can not be arguing on the sidelines with your players. Where some might see fiery I see unprofessional and to a degree disrespect.

Vandelay
01-20-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm hoping Haley is not our new HC. Not really that impressed with him. Looks like with the players on the cards offense, just about anyone could be sucsessful. He dosen't really appear to have the players respect either. That being said, I trust that Pioli knows what he is doing, and I will support the final decision.

Coach
01-20-2009, 10:14 PM

I disagree. If the Chiefs were going to keep Herm, all Pioli would have to do is come out to the media one time and say Herm will be our coach in 2009. By doing so, he ends this media circus AND he keeps all of the assistants in tact. But Piloi hasn't done this and he won't. Instead all of the assistants are interviewing on other teams and Pioli doesn't care because he knows there will be a new "Chief" in town in 2-3 weeks.

I'm not sure that Haley is our coach next year, but I'm willing to bet anyone here some money that Herm Edwards won't be. Herm is done in KC.

Chiefster
01-20-2009, 10:19 PM

Possibly, but one can hope. :D

Chiefster
01-20-2009, 10:20 PM
I disagree. If the Chiefs were going to keep Herm, all Pioli would have to do is come out to the media one time and say Herm will be our coach in 2009. By doing so, he ends this media circus AND he keeps all of the assistants in tact. But Piloi hasn't done this and he won't. Instead all of the assistants are interviewing on other teams and Pioli doesn't care because he knows there will be a new "Chief" in town in 2-3 weeks.

I'm not sure that Haley is our coach next year, but I'm willing to bet anyone here some money that Herm Edwards won't be. Herm is done in KC.

Agreed, this is a tell tale sign.

dbolan
01-21-2009, 10:17 AM

A couple of points I'd like to attempt to make on this:

1) Haley does his job on the sideline. Most OC's are in the booth...AWAY from the players.

2) Players go to OC's all the time (esp. QB's and WR's) with their whining and complaining but it is usually behind closed doors.

3) The ONLY people you have seen Haley argue with are Warner and for the first time, Boldin. Warner is a wiley vet and is head strong. Boldin is chomping at the bit because of his contract. He needs the attention in order to get his next high paying gig or you can just chalk that outburst up to ONE "heat of the moment" thing.

4) I think Haley has managed the high profiled players very well in comparison to..uuumm...Dallas!

5) As far as the running game...It is there now after Edge got his 2 cents in but think about this: Haley had had to pacify Fitz, Boldin primarily, Warner LOVES to pass (that is what he does), Hightower and James...Not to mention the other guys on the team that like to get a touch every now and then.

So, with that said, I think Haley would be an excellent HC.

One last question: Haven't you seen players and Head Coaches having words on the sidelines in the past?? I sure have.

Bike
01-21-2009, 12:22 PM
So lets hire Haley as our HC because he 'does his job' as an oc? With the majority of his offense already in place when he walked in the door?
I hope Pioli has higher standards than this...

theaxeeffect4311
01-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Are there any DC worth looking at for HC? I know Leslie Frazier, Vikings DC, is a possibility but he does not seem to get any hype from the media. So who are some of the others?

Seek
01-21-2009, 06:37 PM
A couple of points I'd like to attempt to make on this:

1) Haley does his job on the sideline. Most OC's are in the booth...AWAY from the players.

2) Players go to OC's all the time (esp. QB's and WR's) with their whining and complaining but it is usually behind closed doors.

3) The ONLY people you have seen Haley argue with are Warner and for the first time, Boldin. Warner is a wiley vet and is head strong. Boldin is chomping at the bit because of his contract. He needs the attention in order to get his next high paying gig or you can just chalk that outburst up to ONE "heat of the moment" thing.

4) I think Haley has managed the high profiled players very well in comparison to..uuumm...Dallas!

5) As far as the running game...It is there now after Edge got his 2 cents in but think about this: Haley had had to pacify Fitz, Boldin primarily, Warner LOVES to pass (that is what he does), Hightower and James...Not to mention the other guys on the team that like to get a touch every now and then.

So, with that said, I think Haley would be an excellent HC.

One last question: Haven't you seen players and Head Coaches having words on the sidelines in the past?? I sure have.

I was basing that off what an Arizona Cardinal reporter said that morning. He said Todd is a very in your face coach. To answer #3. I have also seen him get in an another argument on the side line, but it was with TO down in Dallas as his WR coach. It is TO, I know and don't hold it againt him. I am pretty sure Haley got the best of TO in that argument.

I have no idea if he will or will not be a good or bad HC. No one knows, and I am personally okay with finding out. I just get the sense that the players don't respect him. Two arguments in one game, by two different players in the NFC championship game and one during crunch time. That is a problem.

I am ready for change. If Pioli thinks this guy is the right choice, so be it. It can only get slightly worse than 4-16 and 2-14.

I H8 Every Team But KC
01-21-2009, 10:23 PM

My guess is because they're in the Super Bowl?

greg3564
01-21-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm ready for another offensive minded head coach. The last two defensive minded head coaches, Gunther and Herm, have been total failures. Funny how two supposed defensive geniuses fielded one of the worst defenses in the league. :sign0153:

KottkeKU
01-21-2009, 10:55 PM
you also have to take into account that he had Larry Fitgerald and Anquan Boldin to work with....so thats why they were so bad at rushing the ball...their offense just simply isnt built for rushing...they are a pass attack offense, but now with Whisenhunt in his second year, they have a solid ground game going to compliment their potent pass attack..

i like Haley as a head coach, lots of fire

rustfan76
01-21-2009, 10:59 PM
I seem to remember a coach somewhere, and at some point in time. Getting in the face of many of his players, and it kept them in line in my opinion. And that coach is someone that almost everyone on this board would be frothing at the mouth to get. And his name is Bill Cowher. Sometimes that is the only way to get through to some of these egomaniacs that play in the NFL. They are only worried about making themselves look good , and padding there own stats rather than being team players. Haley was probably just telling Warner and Boldin to suck it up and do what's right for the team, and this I have no problem with. And sometimes, this is what needs done to get a team on the same page and play as a team. A prime example of this just happened this season in SF after new HC Mike Singletary "got in the face" of the best reciever on the team Vernon Davis for being basically a me, me, me player and sent him to the shower in the middle of the game. And said unless he got his head right he would not be playing for him. The San Francisco 49ERS rallied behind there hot-headed coach and went 5 and 2 in their last 7 games.

KristofLaw
01-22-2009, 12:34 AM
My guess is because they're in the Super Bowl?
Hats off and all the respect in the world to the Cardinals and all those in Arizona. Really, really happy for them, long overdue... but they aren't supposed to be their. Honestly, I'd probably consider Haley more-so if they didn't seem to have some miracle guidance in reaching the big dance.

I H8 Every Team But KC
01-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Hats off and all the respect in the world to the Cardinals and all those in Arizona. Really, really happy for them, long overdue... but they aren't supposed to be their. Honestly, I'd probably consider Haley more-so if they didn't seem to have some miracle guidance in reaching the big dance.

No offense but I feel it's just the opposite. They beat a very good Atlanta team without a miricle finish. Then they pounced on Carolina...I don't think anyone would say that the Panthers ever had a shot in that game after the first whistle blew. Then they had a huge lead on Philly, blew it & showed me that they were able to face adversity & come back to finish the game. I'm very impressed with them. I say draft Crabtree & we start our own WR show ;)

tornadospotter
01-22-2009, 11:00 AM
I seem to remember a coach somewhere, and at some point in time. Getting in the face of many of his players, and it kept them in line in my opinion. And that coach is someone that almost everyone on this board would be frothing at the mouth to get. And his name is Bill Cowher. Sometimes that is the only way to get through to some of these egomaniacs that play in the NFL. They are only worried about making themselves look good , and padding there own stats rather than being team players. Haley was probably just telling Warner and Boldin to suck it up and do what's right for the team, and this I have no problem with. And sometimes, this is what needs done to get a team on the same page and play as a team. A prime example of this just happened this season in SF after new HC Mike Singletary "got in the face" of the best reciever on the team Vernon Davis for being basically a me, me, me player and sent him to the shower in the middle of the game. And said unless he got his head right he would not be playing for him. The San Francisco 49ERS rallied behind there hot-headed coach and went 5 and 2 in their last 7 games.
A very good point. May be we need a coach that will fire up the players, just not gruden please!

KristofLaw
01-22-2009, 12:33 PM
No offense but I feel it's just the opposite. They beat a very good Atlanta team without a miricle finish. Then they pounced on Carolina...I don't think anyone would say that the Panthers ever had a shot in that game after the first whistle blew. Then they had a huge lead on Philly, blew it & showed me that they were able to face adversity & come back to finish the game. I'm very impressed with them. I say draft Crabtree & we start our own WR show ;)
I agree, Arizona got where they are through hard work and perserverence. But nobody really expected them to be there and now Haley seems to have landed himself a HC job as a result. My question is does he deserve it, in particular, with the chiefs. *sidenote* Carolina was supposed to win, maybe they should fire Fox, I'd take him no questions asked.

chiefnut
01-22-2009, 12:52 PM
they beat philly cause of one man "Cardinal Fitzgerald". going into the last drive the cards managed only 8 yds in the second half to phillys' 195 yds. neither of these teams should have been in the nfcc game, let alone the super bowl. don't fall in love w/this guy because of desperation to dump herm. we could put a cardboard cutout of Joe Paterno on the sidelines as headcoach and probably win more than 2 games so anyone would be an improvement but i don't thing haley is our coach of the future.

rustfan76
01-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Well , does anyone think that the fans in Miami, or Atlanta, or Baltimore thought that their new coaches this year would make a difference. Or be their teams answer at head coach, after being nothing but coordinators. I think not! Head coaches were all coordinators at one point, nobody has ever been born a Head coach. And some team eventually has to give them a chance. You can't say he is not the answer until he is in that position, and shows whether he is capable or not.