PDA

View Full Version : Draft

Codac
01-21-2009, 07:15 PM
What is everyones opinion on who and what we need in the draft? Me personally I think that with the #3 pick there are a number of things they should do. My first opinion is trade down. Get a lower 1st round pick. Saves us money we need for FA. Also in trading down we could get William Moore. A good quality Saftey, a comfortable pick with a 17-25 pick. I'm scared of paying players big money when we don't know whether they can even play. Another thing we could do with that pick is get Stafford if he is available. Stafford is one of the only 2 QB I like in this draft. The other being Missouri QB Chase Patton. I don't think Sanchez would be a good pick at all. Overall I think we only need a couple O-Line and one more WR for offense. Our biggest concern is Defense. Our offense can score with TP at the helm with the spread.

Needs:
2 O-Line
1 WR

1 DE
1 DT
1-2 LBp (Pref. 1 MLB, 1 ROLB)
1 CB
1-2 Saftey

This is all my opinion. Yours?

jap1
01-21-2009, 08:01 PM
We dont need a corner. We have B. Flowers, B. Carr and Leggett. All 3 are good enough to be average starters and are just getting better.

We could use an upgrade at safety, but we have much bigger needs than to use our first pick on a safety. At the 15-25 pick we could probably get a good LB, Maualuga will prob be gone, but maybe Laurinaitis, Cushing or Sintim will be there. Or Duke Robinson will probably still be on the board.

In my opinion I think our biggest needs are, in order of importance:

DE
ILB
OLB
Offensive Tackle
Guard and/or Center
KR/WR
Power RB (if LJ is gone)
DL depth
OL depth

I think we have to get the first two in FA (otherwise it will be 2-3 years before they are impact players), and then get the rest in the draft in the order they are listed.

texaschief
01-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Chase Daniel?

See, this is why we really should have a min. post limit before :sign0104: s can start new threads. If you really wanted to know other people's opinions about the draft, try looking through some of the threads already posted and discussed extensively.

Just a suggestion.

Welcome to board. :welcome:

hometeam
01-21-2009, 08:30 PM
We can score chase daniel in the 6th round. I would be up for that~

texaschief
01-21-2009, 10:06 PM
We can score chase daniel in the 6th round. I would be up for that~

why? he's less mobile and three inches shorter than tyler thigpen who's basically the same type of QB.

leaves
01-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I don't know. Chase Daniel's looked pretty bad in the latter part of season, and Stafford's a pocket qb who'll tumble around all day here. For me, its:
1st-OL/DE/LB
2nd-OL/DE/LB
3rd-RB/DB
4th-QB/RB/S
5th-DE/OL
6th&7th-best avail.
FA-OL/DE/LB/..K.. anybody notice how crap Connor Barth was?

greg3564
01-21-2009, 10:13 PM
My first round opinion is that Orakpo is picked up. We need help desperately at DE and he brings an intensity that's sorely missed since Allen left. There's no way with Pioli(or any other sane GM) that we pick a QB. The bust potential has been way too high the last few years for QB's. The only way I'd pick a QB in the first round is if he was a four year starter in college. Next year will be the year to get a decent QB in the first round, not this year.

texaschief
01-21-2009, 10:41 PM
you know, if he were to come out early, I wouldn't mind taking a long hard look at Jevan Snead. 6'3 225 4.5-40 with a cannon and pocket QB experience...

... in 2010

KottkeKU
01-21-2009, 10:52 PM
trading down is the obvious choice....lets hope someone wants to trade us to be in the middle (13-18) so we can get Mauluga, Curry, or another LB...

If no trade, and your stuck at no.3, i would go with the best LT...simple as that....Orakpo is not the answer...

hometeam
01-21-2009, 11:22 PM
He could be developed, and height means nothing if a QB is going to be good. (ask drew brees) If not, it was a 6th 7th or UFA (depending on if he even goes or not)

balto
01-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks for your thoughts and joining the Forum Codac.

BTW Texaschief,

Before you bad mouth someone it would help a TON if you open your eyes and read what Codac wrote!!!!!!

He said "Chase Patton" NOT "Chase Daniel"

Chase Patton (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=8390&draftyear=2009&genpos=QB)

More Chase Patton (http://blog.sharingthevictory.org/?p=8)

Chase Patton is a big 6-5 220 QB that was back up to Daniels. Patton is your NFL QB unlike Daniels that is made for the spread attack.

Patton is projected to be a better NFL QB then Daniel and I agree from what I have seen out of him (great arm and great size and mobility)

Its a shame he stayed at MU to be a backup.

SO before you start bashing people PLEASE read with an open mind.

Maybe people that have posted over 1,000 need to have a min amount of time needed to review a OP before they can make a response :lol:

texaschief
01-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks for your thoughts and joining the Forum Codac.

BTW Texaschief,

Before you bad mouth someone it would help a TON if you open your eyes and read what Codac wrote!!!!!!

He said "Chase Patton" NOT "Chase Daniel"

Chase Patton (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=8390&draftyear=2009&genpos=QB)

More Chase Patton (http://blog.sharingthevictory.org/?p=8)

Chase Patton is a big 6-5 220 QB that was back up to Daniels. Patton is your NFL QB unlike Daniels that is made for the spread attack.

Patton is projected to be a better NFL QB then Daniel and I agree from what I have seen out of him (great arm and great size and mobility)

Its a shame he stayed at MU to be a backup.

SO before you start bashing people PLEASE read with an open mind.

Maybe people that have posted over 1,000 need to have a min amount of time needed to review a OP before they can make a response :lol:

lol, yeah maybe. I just thought it was a typo.

balto
01-22-2009, 12:01 AM
With the above being said,

I agree that the Chiefs need to focus on getting our stud DE and MLB in FA. IF anything it HAS to be a DE, none and I mean NONE of the DE's in this draft are NFL ready. Now they might be super stars in 3-4 years but we need a super star NOW so Pioli go out and get us Peppers or Suggs PLEASE hehe.

IF we get our DE but not our MLB then we take either Curry OR Maualuga. I feel these guys are the only ones NFL ready.

BUT if we are lucky and get both our DE and MLB in FA then yes we do what ever it takes to trade down to get more picks and fix our Oline.

I would either do a deal with Philly to get both of there first rounder picks and a 2 or 3 round pick OR try to go down to around 15-20th and grab Duke Robinson and the get Alex Mack with our 2nd rounder.

IF we deal LJ then a big power RB would be nice, I like Shonn Greene for this but who knows.

All in ALL great draft ideas and thanks again for sharing your thoughts Codac.

KristofLaw
01-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Interesting read Balto, Chase Patton has a similarity with Tom Brady in that Brady was also a back-up at Michigan for Tom Hensen; jk(Drew Hensen); and everyone knows he was a late round, highly-touted, amongst those in the know, draft pick.:sign0098:

balto
01-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Hmm maybe Pioli will bring him in hehe. A 6-5 220 QB would be a risk I wouldn't mind taking for a 6th or 7th round pick lol

Codac
01-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Yea. As much as I loved Chase DANIEL in Mizzou he is NOT an NFL QB. However people have been wrong. Look at Drew Brees. I still don't think he is Drew though. Chase PATTON is definately a late round diamond in my opinion. He has the size, the arm, and he is not attached to the spread like Daniel, because he wasn't a starter. I know we have 3 young CBs but would a mid to late round hurt us? Leggett still has to prove himself in my opinion. I do love what I saw from Carr and Flowers. I love every LB from USC. Its a big program that has played many big games and players that come from there are usually a safe bet. Also USC had an amazing D this past year. I would love anyone from that D.

Codac
01-22-2009, 12:16 AM
The 2 players I really really want Pioli to get are both from Mizzou. Ziggy Hood and Chase Patton. Man that would be 2 great picks in my eyes. I have watched ALOT of Mizzou games and I know Ziggy can play. We could use another DT

KristofLaw
01-22-2009, 12:21 AM
I agree with you on USC, Balto. My guy out of there is Taylor Mays but I think it's a reach to take him unless we trade down and he falls somehow. While I agree Maualuga is a monster, I have heard questions regarding his durability, same with Sanchez.

Codac
01-22-2009, 12:23 AM
Eww. I hate the though of Sanchez in a Chiefs uniform. I just think he should have stayed his Senior year to prove he is a legit high round draft pick.

texaschief
01-22-2009, 12:35 AM
I honestly don't think any QB in this draft is worth a top 10 pick. That doesn't mean one won't go in the top 10. If Sanchez can fall past the Jets, I wouldn't mind taking him in the second. But there's no way in hell I'd take him #3. He doesn't even come close to representing the best value at that pick.

Codac
01-22-2009, 12:40 AM
Well Stafford looks very promising. I saw a few of his games and he has great touch, and good intangibles. Also he is a pro-style QB. That is always a plus. Although I wonder if the chiefs will stick with the spread we were running at the end of the year.

texaschief
01-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Well Stafford looks very promising. I saw a few of his games and he has great touch, and good intangibles. Also he is a pro-style QB. That is always a plus. Although I wonder if the chiefs will stick with the spread we were running at the end of the year.

They won't. Doesn't look like Gailey is stickin around. I saw almost every UGA game this season because my buddy is a huge UGA and we bought the game plan on my TV. Stafford is immobile and makes really poor decisions under pressure and with the line we currently have, that's just setting the guy up for failure with this franchise. I'd rather build the rest of the O-line and draft a first round QB next year or in 2011 once the rest of the team is built.

Codac
01-22-2009, 12:55 AM
I didn't get to see anything but the Georgia Southern and Central Michigan games so I didn't see anyone put to much pressure on him. Haha. But as for being immobile, being mobile is nice, but its not a must. Especially in a pro-style offense. But you do need to know when to throw it away under pressure.

Codac
01-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Oh, and i'm glad they aren't keeping the Spread. That is a college scheme.

texaschief
01-22-2009, 12:58 AM
I didn't get to see anything but the Georgia Southern and Central Michigan games so I didn't see anyone put to much pressure on him. Haha. But as for being immobile, being mobile is nice, but its not a must. Especially in a pro-style offense. But you do need to know when to throw it away under pressure.

Tell Damon Huard he doesn't need to be mobile behind this line. We already have one statue, why would we draft a younger one?

hometeam
01-22-2009, 12:59 AM
I liked chan gailey, considering what he had to work with, he didnt do bad at all, especially in the latter part of the season~

Codac
01-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Whoa, I never said to draft him. I just said he is promising. I don't think we need to draft any QB to early in this draft. As I have stated i'm committed to Chase Patton. OL and D are all we need.

Codac
01-22-2009, 01:02 AM
I hated what Chan did. He didn't do anything! His offense was horribly ineffective in the beginning of the season. The spread worked because no one saw it coming. Its only so long before they catch on. Especially with our horrid running game.

hometeam
01-22-2009, 01:02 AM
Chase Daniels :P

Patton is the underclassman

Codac
01-22-2009, 01:03 AM
How many times do we have to say it! Both Chase's were seniors!!! And Patton has the better future in the NFL

hometeam
01-22-2009, 01:07 AM
my bad~

Codac
01-22-2009, 01:08 AM
hah its cool. People just seemed shocked that i'm saying Patton instead of Daniel

jmlamerson
01-22-2009, 09:41 AM
I agree with you on USC, Balto. My guy out of there is Taylor Mays but I think it's a reach to take him unless we trade down and he falls somehow. While I agree Maualuga is a monster, I have heard questions regarding his durability, same with Sanchez.

Mays is staying at USC through 2009.

My proposed draft:

LT
RT
C
RB (assuming the fairly inevitable LJ cut)
LG
QB
WR

And build the defense through FA.

theaxeeffect4311
01-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Mays is staying at USC through 2009.

My proposed draft:

LT
RT
C
RB (assuming the fairly inevitable LJ cut)
LG
QB
WR

And build the defense through FA.

I like the idea of going through the draft getting linemen. This is a good class to do that as well. But I am not sure there are enough good players in FA to fix our defense. The ones I see are Vilma (ILB) and either Suggs or Peppers at DE. So that would leave one OLB position needing to be filled.

jmlamerson
01-22-2009, 10:16 AM
I like the idea of going through the draft getting linemen. This is a good class to do that as well. But I am not sure there are enough good players in FA to fix our defense. The ones I see are Vilma (ILB) and either Suggs or Peppers at DE. So that would leave one OLB position needing to be filled.

The big question is whether we go to a 3-4 or stick with a 4-3. My proposed draft was based on our sticking with the 4-3. As for our MLB/OLB problems, Karlos Dansby will be a FA, as will Ray Lewis, Jonathan Vilma, Bart Scott, Mike Peterson, Michael Boley, and Eric Barton. We could get two starters out of that FA lot.

leaves
01-22-2009, 10:23 AM
the LJ situation really messes some things up. If we could trade him, it gives us another pick. If he stays, I just don't know.

theaxeeffect4311
01-22-2009, 10:27 AM
The big question is whether we go to a 3-4 or stick with a 4-3. My proposed draft was based on our sticking with the 4-3. As for our MLB/OLB problems, Karlos Dansby will be a FA, as will Ray Lewis, Jonathan Vilma, Bart Scott, Mike Peterson, Michael Boley, and Eric Barton. We could get two starters out of that FA lot.

From those mentioned, only Vilma and Dansby are worth getting because of their age. Boley may not be good enough. After Demarrio Williams, I do not want the Chiefs to add another Falcons LB. So if we were able to get both of those that would fix our LB problems, so we'll see how this turns out. And hopefully the Chiefs will stick with a 4-3 defense.

greg3564
01-22-2009, 10:32 AM
the LJ situation really messes some things up. If we could trade him, it gives us another pick. If he stays, I just don't know.

He's gone. LJ may not even warrant a team giving up a draft pick because of his high dollar contract. It may boil down to the Chiefs cutting him. Either way is fine by me. Any time a player shoots himself in the foot and then says he wants out of KC gets what he deserves.

jmlamerson
01-22-2009, 10:42 AM
From those mentioned, only Vilma and Dansby are worth getting because of their age. Boley may not be good enough. After Demarrio Williams, I do not want the Chiefs to add another Falcons LB. So if we were able to get both of those that would fix our LB problems, so we'll see how this turns out. And hopefully the Chiefs will stick with a 4-3 defense.

Some experience and toughness, like Scott, Barton, and Peterson, on our defense would be a good thing. As long as we didn't overpay them, having some vets on our defense can only help matters next year. Remember, Pioli's best work on the Pats was his ability to identify quality vets, especially on defense, and to sign them to cap-friendly deals. That, more than any draft, was the reason that the Pats won their SBs.

We can't forget, we have at least four positions to fill on offense (C, RG, RT, and probably RB) and at least four on defense (RDE, 2DT, MLB, and ROLB). And that's only if we decide not to upgrade at 2WR, QB, LDE, and FS. Or to build depth at any position. We're not finding eight starters at these positions in this year's draft, not even if we trade for extra picks. And there's no guarentee that we'll always be able to get the best, young player out there.

P.S. That's unfair to Boley, comparing him to DeMorrio Williams. Boley's shown toughness and was part of a very good Atlanta defense this year.

leaves
01-22-2009, 12:07 PM
He's gone. LJ may not even warrant a team giving up a draft pick because of his high dollar contract. It may boil down to the Chiefs cutting him. Either way is fine by me. Any time a player shoots himself in the foot and then says he wants out of KC gets what he deserves.

Yeah, I'd be good either way. And as far as RB's go, weve been talking about Shonn Greene/a FA/even Rashad Jennings, but I just watched two highlight reels of Herb Donaldson, and I would really like to grab him. Plus, he should be there in the 5th-6th.
YouTube - Herb Donaldson - 2008 Walter Payton Award Candidate

Codac
01-22-2009, 12:16 PM
We really don't need at LT. We have Brandon Albert! Left side of the line is fine. C-RT needs improvement

jmlamerson
01-22-2009, 01:03 PM
We really don't need at LT. We have Brandon Albert! Left side of the line is fine. C-RT needs improvement

A lot of people (me included) think that Albert is much better suited to the LG or RT position than LT. He didn't do well last year until we moved to the spread. We moved to the spread specifically because the OL was just terrible.

Albert might turn out to be a decent-to-good LT, but he could be a pro bowler (think Leonard Davis) at the guard position. And since this draft is so rich with franchise LTs, it might make a lot of sense to draft one at the 3-spot, move Albert to LG, Waters to RG, and get a new C and RT through FA or (more likely) the later rounds of draft.

jmlamerson
01-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Kiper's Mock Draft:

1 Detroit Matthew Stafford (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24681) QB Georgia
2 St. Louis Andre Smith (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24678) OT Alabama
3 Kansas CityMark Sanchez (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24676) QB USC
4 SeattleMichael Crabtree (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24682) WR Texas Tech
5 Cleveland Aaron Curry (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=23926) LB Wake Forest
6 CincinnatiJason Smith (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24049) OT Baylor
7 OaklandJeremy Maclin (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24673) WR Missouri
8 Jacksonville Eugene Monroe (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24096) OT Virginia
9 Green Bay Malcolm Jenkins (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=23967) CB Ohio St.
10 San FranciscoAaron Maybin (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24714) DE/OLB Penn St.
11 BuffaloBrandon Pettigrew (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=23982) TE Oklahoma St.
12 DenverB.J. Raji (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=160254) DT Boston College
13 WashingtonBrian Orakpo (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24064) DE Texas
14 New Orleans Vontae Davis (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24680) CB Illinois
15 Houston Everette Brown (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24695) DE Florida St.
16 San Diego Knowshon Moreno (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24685) RB Georgia

Yeah, this should be getting revised pretty soon. There's no way we pick Sanchez at 3, or that Cleveland passes on Jenkins at the 5.

Interesting the top two defensive names on this site, Orakpo and Maualuga, aren't in the top-12. Orakpo is at 13 and Maualuga is down at 20.

balto
01-22-2009, 01:39 PM
I think Hometeam is just trying to mess with you Codac hehe.

Anyways,

I know Pioli will draft a QB some where in this draft but not really sure where. I honestly wouldn't give anything but a 7th for Patton just because he has size and a arm and a good story doesn't mean he will be able to play. I think if we draft him look for a Cassel type of guy but maybe worse since USC play NFL style while Patton had to practice and learn Spread.

Codac,
Any idea if Patton even got invited to the Combine? I'm guessing NO but I could be wrong. Also, did he go to any Senior or east vs west bowls liek Daniels?

chiefnut
01-22-2009, 01:45 PM
here is my favorite mock draft i have found

1 Michael Johnson DE GT

2 Phil Loadholt OT OK

3 Asher Allen CB G

4 Kraig Urbik OG Wis

5 Jason Phillips ILB TCU

6 Pat White QB WV

7 Jarett Villard WR Rice

except instead of Allen at #3 i like eitherJamon Merrideth OT, Vance Walker DT or Clay Mathews OLB

KCCAT21
01-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Kiper's Mock Draft:

1 Detroit Matthew Stafford (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24681) QB Georgia
2 St. Louis Andre Smith (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24678) OT Alabama
3 Kansas CityMark Sanchez (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24676) QB USC
4 SeattleMichael Crabtree (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24682) WR Texas Tech
5 Cleveland Aaron Curry (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=23926) LB Wake Forest
6 CincinnatiJason Smith (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24049) OT Baylor
7 OaklandJeremy Maclin (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24673) WR Missouri
8 Jacksonville Eugene Monroe (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24096) OT Virginia
9 Green Bay Malcolm Jenkins (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=23967) CB Ohio St.
10 San FranciscoAaron Maybin (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24714) DE/OLB Penn St.
11 BuffaloBrandon Pettigrew (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=23982) TE Oklahoma St.
12 DenverB.J. Raji (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=160254)DT Boston College
13 WashingtonBrian Orakpo (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24064) DE Texas
14 New Orleans Vontae Davis (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24680) CB Illinois
15 Houston Everette Brown (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24695) DE Florida St.
16 San Diego Knowshon Moreno (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2009&id=24685) RB Georgia

Yeah, this should be getting revised pretty soon. There's no way we pick Sanchez at 3, or that Cleveland passes on Jenkins at the 5.

Interesting the top two defensive names on this site, Orakpo and Maualuga, aren't in the top-12. Orakpo is at 13 and Maualuga is down at 20.

I hope it gets revised fast. I really don't want to see us pick Sanchez. And if it is true that Maualuga and Orakapo fall that far down, we should trade down and get another pick and take one of those guys.

jmlamerson
01-22-2009, 02:05 PM
I hope it gets revised fast. I really don't want to see us pick Sanchez. And if it is true that Maualuga and Orakapo fall that far down, we should trade down and get another pick and take one of those guys.

We can't trade down. No one will trade up to our spot.

We could trade some picks and move back into the first round, but no one trades into the top-5 anymore.

And there's no way Pioli picks Sanchez at 3. Sanchez is going to drop to the bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd.

leaves
01-22-2009, 03:00 PM
one reason I'm glad to have Pioli is cuz I always think GM's like CP look at those mocks for the draft, so when a guy like Sanchez or Stafford gets missed he'd snag em up. Fortunately if there's one reaction Pioli would have if he sees/hears it, its prob. to ignore the mock extra.

theaxeeffect4311
01-22-2009, 05:02 PM
We can't trade down. No one will trade up to our spot.

We could trade some picks and move back into the first round, but no one trades into the top-5 anymore.

And there's no way Pioli picks Sanchez at 3. Sanchez is going to drop to the bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd.

There is a slim possibility that the Raiders will want to move in front of Seattle to grab Crabtree, but we'll see. I agree with you that the Chiefs will not draft Sanchez in the first round. Pioli usually evaluates QBs pretty well and if we happen to grab one, then we'd better pay attention to that kid.

Older FAs would not be bad if they get cheaper contracts. If Pioli can pull that same magic here, then this guy is the perfect guy for the job.

And I'm sorry about the Michael Boley comment. I have not been able to watch him much, but I did hear that he was not starting by the end of the year, so I only assumed that he was not playing well. I was excited when Williams was picked up last year, but that quickly died when he couldn't even be a starter.

chiefnut
01-22-2009, 05:10 PM
SORRY, this is a mock draft of THE CHIEFS 1st thru 7th round picks

here is my favorite mock draft i have found

1 Michael Johnson DE GT

2 Phil Loadholt OT OK

3 Asher Allen CB G

4 Kraig Urbik OG Wis

5 Jason Phillips ILB TCU

6 Pat White QB WV

7 Jarett Villard WR Rice

except instead of Allen at #3 i like eitherJamon Merrideth OT, Vance Walker DT or Clay Mathews OLB

jmlamerson
01-22-2009, 05:26 PM
There is a slim possibility that the Raiders will want to move in front of Seattle to grab Crabtree, but we'll see. I agree with you that the Chiefs will not draft Sanchez in the first round. Pioli usually evaluates QBs pretty well and if we happen to grab one, then we'd better pay attention to that kid.

Older FAs would not be bad if they get cheaper contracts. If Pioli can pull that same magic here, then this guy is the perfect guy for the job.

And I'm sorry about the Michael Boley comment. I have not been able to watch him much, but I did hear that he was not starting by the end of the year, so I only assumed that he was not playing well. I was excited when Williams was picked up last year, but that quickly died when he couldn't even be a starter.

You don't have to apologize about Boley. I'm not his mom or anything.

I think a lot of teams want to trade up for Crabtree (Raiders, Eagles, Bears, vikings, etc.). A lot of teams wanted to trade up for Calvin Johnson. But it probably won't happen because of the high salary and high picks involved. I think the Raiders will probably sit still and take Maclin - assuming they don't throw dumptrucks of money at Houshmenzadah or TO (if released) this offseason - and use the picks they saved to try to fill their other needs.

Yeah, as much as I would love to get every under-30, top-10 player in this offseason (and there are a surprising number), I don't think we'll get enough that we can rely on the draft to fill the rest of our needs. Even if we luck out and get Haynesworth, Asomugha, Vilma, and Suggs, we'd still need starters at DT, ROLB, C, RG, HB, and RT. And probably upgrades at 2WR, FS, and 2QB as well if we want to compete in 2009.

I think signing guys like Mike Peterson, Bart Scott, and the rest can work fine - just so long as we don't overpay. Look at our team now. It wasn't a bad idea to sign guys like McIntosh, D. Edwards, D. Williams, D. Darling, Napolean Harris, Boone, R. Edwards, McGraw, etc. - we just way overpaid for average players to entice them to come here. Once we cut guys like LJ, Surtain, D. Edwards, and Darling, we're going to have $50M+ to play with this offseason. Which will be great in trying to put this team together.

I think we'll be able to get a lot of vets pretty cheap this offseason due to the glutted market. Add to that a couple marquee FAs and a good draft class, and suddenly we're contenders in 2009.

nigeriannightmare
01-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Mel Kiper has us drafting Mark Sanchez at number 3. I know we have other needs, but I would rather sign the best player available....Michael Crabtree.

hometeam
01-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Boo to both of those choices~

nigeriannightmare
01-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Boo to both of those choices~

For the contract that the number 3 choice is going to warrant I would much rathr take the best player available then the second or third best at a specific position or a position that may need multiple years to groom and he will have a high trade value.

Codac
01-23-2009, 03:11 PM
SORRY, this is a mock draft of THE CHIEFS 1st thru 7th round picks

We have way more then 7 picks bro

jmlamerson
01-23-2009, 03:55 PM
We have way more then 7 picks bro

Um, no we don't. We only have seven picks this year.

Codac
01-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Your absolutely positively sure? I swear we had an extra 3rd and 5th?

jmlamerson
01-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Your absolutely positively sure? I swear we had an extra 3rd and 5th?

Yes, I'm sure.