PDA

View Full Version : Mike shanahan to be named head coach within 48 hours

Big Daddy Tek
01-22-2009, 01:20 AM
At 10:22pm on Wednesday, January 21st, Channel 9 news (NBC) in Denver has reported that Mike Shanahan will be named the Kansas City Chiefs new head coach, within the next 48 hours.

Other than speculation, their is no other information on this event anywhere online or in any other news outlet. I do have access to the ap wire and even that has nothing.

I have no idea if this is true, but it's coming out of Denver, so who knows?

texaschief
01-22-2009, 01:22 AM
sh!t

Codac
01-22-2009, 01:23 AM
OMG YES! Please be true!

texaschief
01-22-2009, 01:24 AM
.... oh yes... please... bring us perennial .500 coach... ugh

Vandelay
01-22-2009, 01:24 AM
Not my first choice, but Pioli is smarter than me.

Codac
01-22-2009, 01:26 AM
Dude this guy might bring the Zone Blocking scheme in. His offense is usually pretty good every year. A good balanced attack. Lets hope he brings it with him. And yes I believe Pioli knows what he is doing.

texaschief
01-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Dude this guy might bring the Zone Blocking scheme in. His offense is usually pretty good every year. A good balanced attack. Lets hope he brings it with him. And yes I believe Pioli knows what he is doing.

Then sign him as the OC if you like his offense. He's done jack sh!t as a HC since Elway.

texaschief
01-22-2009, 01:35 AM
That's the other thing about this ratface rumor. Herm isn't fired yet. To already have a deal in place with a white coach before firing the current coach and interviewing a black coach is against league rules. Plus, with as tight lipped as Arrowhead has been, do we really think the news station in Denver is really the first source to get this story?

Chief Tyler
01-22-2009, 01:43 AM
http://www.nbcactionnews.com/sports/story/Mike-Shanahan-Could-be-Next-Chiefs-Head-Coach/EjWyJUYPT0q-lAAApuqgXw.cspx

Vandelay
Thanks Chief Tyler

Big Daddy Tek
That's the other thing about this ratface rumor. Herm isn't fired yet. To already have a deal in place with a white coach before firing the current coach and interviewing a black coach is against league rules. Plus, with as tight lipped as Arrowhead has been, do we really think the news station in Denver is really the first source to get this story?

Totally agree Tex. Im just reporting what I found out, the second I found it.

Bighurt27
01-22-2009, 02:00 AM
Don't they gotta fire Herm first?

YZILLA
01-22-2009, 02:16 AM
I would say Herm staying home from the Senior bowl is a pretty good sign he wont be with us long and I would assume that pioli has already taken every step he needs to to name a new head coach ( if we do get a new head coach ).

okikcfan
01-22-2009, 03:39 AM
I could find nothing on that subject at Denvers news channel 9 but did find this from KC Star....

NBC Sports analyst Cris Collinsworth expects Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley to become the Chiefs' next head coach. Collinsworth, who spent time with Haley before broadcasting the Cardinals' NFC first-round win over Atlanta and will cover the Super Bowl between Arizona and Pittsburgh, said Haley's star has risen higher than anyone's during the playoffs. "I think he'll be the coach in Kansas City," Collinsworth told me Tuesday on a teleconference. "I'm watching what's happening with all the (new) coaches, and we've seen some of the defensive coaches come off the board, and the one guy nobody is talking about that has surprised me, and it's because (the Cardinals) flew so far under the radar screen, was Haley. He's not under the radar screen anymore. "The biggest winner who has come out of this run by the Arizona Cardinals has been Todd Haley." -- KC Star

partysan
01-22-2009, 04:47 AM
I would say Herm staying home from the Senior bowl is a pretty good sign he wont be with us long and I would assume that pioli has already taken every step he needs to to name a new head coach ( if we do get a new head coach ).

I believe that nobody publicly supporting a coach that is in his final year of contract (what do they have to lose? If they intend to keep him around and he does a poor job again, then he'd just be gone after his contract runs out), and not dismissing any rumors of Herm not being around next season, is a pretty good indicator that his time in KC is coming to an end.

jerhart
01-22-2009, 08:44 AM
No thanks...next...

Seek
01-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Don't they gotta fire Herm first?

They may already have but haven't made it public. Does the NFL report to the media when papers are filed to them. I think it is usually done by the team. He could officially already be fired, but Pioli made sure the media was left out.

There has to be a reason Herm and company are not at the Senior Bowl. Regarding the interview of a Black coach as a rule. Wouldn't the long talk with Herm be considered an interview.

Seek
01-22-2009, 09:14 AM
I believe that nobody publicly supporting a coach that is in his final year of contract (what do they have to lose? If they intend to keep him around and he does a poor job again, then he'd just be gone after his contract runs out), and not dismissing any rumors of Herm not being around next season, is a pretty good indicator that his time in KC is coming to an end.

They have a lt to lose by keeping Herm. They have already lost three assistant coaches and there will also be a draft by a lame duck HC. If they don't remove Herm now as opposed to next year. They are basically hiring new assitant coaches for one year which will be hard to do, and the players they draft and sign this year may not fit the scheme next year. So essentially the Chiefs are wasting a year, and taking a step back next year.

So unless Herm gets a contract extension. He has to go.

theaxeeffect4311
01-22-2009, 09:14 AM
I have to say I would be excited if Shanahan became the head coach. His players are disciplined, effective on both sides of the ball, and he's a good motivator. I know that he may not have a good record without Elway, but that is how any coach goes. Holmgren had Brett Favre. Belichick has Tom Brady. The way I see it, Shanahan will be a good choice to lead the team once the Chiefs find their QB. I think the problem Shanahan had in Denver was that he had too much power on decisions and personnel. Put him with Pioli and they might make a good team.

jerhart
01-22-2009, 09:28 AM
I have to say I would be excited if Shanahan became the head coach. His players are disciplined, effective on both sides of the ball, and he's a good motivator. I know that he may not have a good record without Elway, but that is how any coach goes. Holmgren had Brett Favre. Belichick has Tom Brady. The way I see it, Shanahan will be a good choice to lead the team once the Chiefs find their QB. I think the problem Shanahan had in Denver was that he had too much power on decisions and personnel. Put him with Pioli and they might make a good team.

...are ya sure about this one?

Lazeye
01-22-2009, 09:33 AM
I am just blown away by all this. I have spent to many years watching Shanahan on the other side to actually think he would be on our side I am sure would make me sick. I do give him credit he is good at what he does and then I would have to explain to my son why somebody he has grown up not liking his on his fav. team (lol). If Mike wears red and gold I would only be happy with a OC spot but thats me. I am Red and Gold through and through, plus how did we all feel when neil smith went to them. Eddie Kennison did not seem like all that big of deal

dbolan
01-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Not my first choice, but Pioli is smarter than me.

You should never, never admit outloud (especially in writing) that someone else is smarter than you. That automatically negates your right to call them a dumb*ss when or if the time comes.

You have the right to remain silent....

LMAO! :funnypost:

dbolan
01-22-2009, 09:39 AM

Pioli has interviewed Herm twice.... ;-) :beer:

dbolan
01-22-2009, 09:45 AM

The problem Shanny had in Denver was a shatty defense. Not to mention a LEGITMATE onslaught of injuries on both sides of the ball.

If he comes, he will be a HC only. He will do better than Herm.

theaxeeffect4311
01-22-2009, 09:47 AM
...are ya sure about this one?

This season was pretty bad for the Broncos. They haven't been that great for the past three seasons. However, he is an offensive minded coach. I can let it slide that his defenses are not in the top 10 because it is not his emphasis. I can say that his defenses did better than Herm's (which is supposed to be Herm's specialty), but that is not saying much.

dbolan
01-22-2009, 09:48 AM
I am just blown away by all this. I have spent to many years watching Shanahan on the other side to actually think he would be on our side I am sure would make me sick. I do give him credit he is good at what he does and then I would have to explain to my son why somebody he has grown up not liking his on his fav. team (lol). If Mike wears red and gold I would only be happy with a OC spot but thats me. I am Red and Gold through and through, plus how did we all feel when neil smith went to them. Eddie Kennison did not seem like all that big of deal

Neil Smith was smart...He wanted a SB ring and knew it was not gonna happen in KC. Plus, the Cheifs did not resign him, so what should he do? Sit at home and pout, or go to a really crummy team in order to ensure that he never wins a ring? The proof is in the puddin..

yashi
01-22-2009, 10:12 AM
If Shanahan does in fact become our coach, I couldn't be more excited. This guy is one of the best coaches in the NFL people! There might not be a better coach around when it comes to clock management and the X's & O's.

Forget the fact that he coached the Donks! Things fizzled out there and now we all have one thing in common: we want to beat up on the Broncos.

leaves
01-22-2009, 10:17 AM
If this happens, I'll wait some but..
nothin like getting a coach who split games with Herm.

yashi
01-22-2009, 10:24 AM
If this happens, I'll wait some but..
nothin like getting a coach who split games with Herm.
I'm not one to defend the Broncos, but......

- 7 RBs on IR
- Champ Bailey out half the season
- D.J. Williams out 5-6 games.
- Tatum Bell was starting at the end of the year, after selling cell phones prior to that.

Shanahan didn't exactly have luck on his side this year...

I H8 Every Team But KC
01-22-2009, 10:48 AM

- 7 RBs on IR
- Tatum Bell was starting at the end of the year, after selling cell phones prior to that.

All great points...oh yeah, I would also just like to say I miss Neil Smith :)

leaves
01-22-2009, 11:05 AM

- 7 RBs on IR

I'm not sure that has to do with luck. SEVEN RB's. That's play calling and player usage.

chiefnut
01-22-2009, 12:57 PM
shanna is a good coach, but the report was probably just a guess or some sportscasters opinion and now is reported as news. neither espn nor fox sports has reported it so it is extremely doubtful that there is any truth to it.

Sn@keIze
01-22-2009, 01:07 PM
I hope he comes here.

He hates the Raiders, and now has a good reason to play hard gainst the Donks.

All we need is a good D cordinator and let Pioli handle the draft.

Even after he lost Elway he still had his team winning the AFC West more than the other teams and they always seem to be in the thick of it when they dont make it.

Chief Tyler
01-22-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm not sure that has to do with luck. SEVEN RB's. That's play calling and player usage.

I wouldn't blame it all on player usage and play calling, injuries like Peyton Hillis were just unfortunate; going up for a catch in double coverage. I don't think Cutler should have thrown the ball in the first place. I think Selvin Young started out as a typical groin which got worse, maybe a different injury, not completely sure, but thats a pretty common injury to runningbacks. What's amazing though is Shanahan had a fairly successful running game all season long going through those runningbacks and I don't think they had a runningback that wasn't a seventh rounder or undrafted player. Maybe Ryan Torain was taken a little higher, but not by much. I wouldn't mind a successful zone blocking system like that, one which doesn't require us to pay the big bucks for a bruiser.

yashi
01-22-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm really sick of this... can we know the teams fate yet please?

NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Chiefs have not contacted Shanahan « (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/22/chiefs-have-not-contacted-shanahan/)

Nearly a month after the season, the Chiefs still have not made a coaching change. Mike Shanahan still does not have a job.

Thus, in the past 24 hours, like a virus that has spread, some have concluded that Kansas City is pursuing Shanahan and he could be the Chiefs next head coach.

Time to squash that rumor. As of mid-day Thursday, the Chiefs and Shanahan have not had any contact. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Yet, within the past hour, I’ve gotten a half-dozen calls and emails from various Kansas City and Denver media outlets, asking if there is any truth to the rumor that the Chiefs and Shanahan are talking.

No, there is not. There is no truth to the rumor. Chiefs officials are at the Senior Bowl and Shanahan just finished a morning run on the treadmill.

The Chiefs coaching mystery continues — minus Shanahan.

KCFanTexas
01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
This has been reportedly shot down by Adam Schefter.

ProFootballTalk.com - Latest News and Rumors (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/)

In response to rapidly-spreading rumors (we might have had something to do with that) regarding the possibility of a former Broncos and Raiders coach landing with their common rivals in Kansas City, Adam Schefter of NFLN says that there’s no truth whatsoever to the reports/rumors/rumblings/scuttlebutt that Mike Shanahan will be the next coach of the Chiefs.
Per Schefter, the Chiefs and Shanahan have had no contact as of mid-day Thursday.
Of course, it doesn’t mean that there won’t be contact if/when Herm Edwards is fired. We assume that the Chiefs are spending more time deciding whether to keep Herm than they are lining up his potential replacement.
Especially in light of the Rooney Rule.
Unless Shanahan’s spray tan falls within the scope of the Soul Man (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091991/) exception, he can’t be hired until after Edwards is fired and at least one minority candidate is interviewed.

The rumors about Gun were shot down too. Who knows what is going to happen.

Canada
01-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Don't forget...Shanny never wins in arrowhead!! :)

leaves
01-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Don't forget...Shanny never wins in arrowhead!! :)

well, that's encouraging.

Nel Toille
01-22-2009, 03:27 PM
This has been reportedly shot down by Adam Schefter.

ProFootballTalk.com - Latest News and Rumors (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/)

The rumors about Gun were shot down too. Who knows what is going to happen.
Damn, beat me to it. This whole situation doesn't make sense because, now I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you have to fire the current coach before you hire someone to take his place. Like they said in the article, we still have to comply by the Rooney rule, so if they are going to hire shanny, they would have already interviewed a minority and we probably would have heard about it. So far, no news on anyone being interviewed so I wouldn't start speculating until Herm is officially gone.

Canada
01-22-2009, 04:08 PM
well, that's encouraging.

I'm not trying to be encouraging. I don't want Shanahan as our coach. Mostly cause he never wins at Arrowhead!! :D

leaves
01-22-2009, 04:17 PM
I know, I'm being sarcastic cuz I agree with you. I'd rather get a young guy who has something to prove.

Sn@keIze
01-22-2009, 04:19 PM
I know, I'm being sarcastic cuz I agree with you. I'd rather get a young guy who has something to prove.Id rather have an experienced guy thats proven.

Coach
01-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Has anyone heard anything else regarding the Shanahan rumor?

jerhart
01-22-2009, 10:58 PM

Other than Adam Schefter (sp?) reporting that Shanahan has not been in contact with the Chiefs at all so the rumor is false...I dont know...

....but really, Adam Schefter probably knows just as much as we do...

I for one find it interesting that we have a timeframe being a 48 hour window that we are positive on...yet we dont know who the coach is going to be? So someone knows who the coach is going to be...or else how do they know it will be announced in the next 48 hours? Wasn't the HC position suppose to be announce by last friday?

Hayvern
01-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Here is an article I just found, while they clearly say they cannot confirm it, this is the only one I see with an ounce of credibility.

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/sports/story/Mike-Shanahan-Could-be-Next-Chiefs-Head-Coach/EjWyJUYPT0q-lAAApuqgXw.cspx

okikcfan
01-23-2009, 01:10 AM

I have checked out many Denver news outlets and have found nothing. Hunt and Pioli seem to be a very hush hush about everything and I have not seen nor heard anything about Shanahan taking any interviews so one can't help but wonder if there is some kind of a connection there. I myself have alot of faith in Pioli and what ever choices he makes until he proves to me he sucks at his job. I will be very questionable if he does retain Herm for another year but will give him the benefit of one season to prove himself and his plan. So until that time Pioli is my man, sorta speak..lol

okikcfan
01-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Here is an article I just found, while they clearly say they cannot confirm it, this is the only one I see with an ounce of credibility.

Good find, so we could know something by friday maybe? But again all the other rumors have been short lived....

KCFanTexas
01-24-2009, 01:00 PM
At 10:22pm on Wednesday, January 21st, Channel 9 news (NBC) in Denver has reported that Mike Shanahan will be named the Kansas City Chiefs new head coach, within the next 48 hours.

Other than speculation, their is no other information on this event anywhere online or in any other news outlet. I do have access to the ap wire and even that has nothing.

I have no idea if this is true, but it's coming out of Denver, so who knows?

So was Jack 50% right or did the Chiefs pull a fast one? Are the Chiefs just waiting on timing as they did with Pioli? Maybe after the Super Bowl?

The following is what we have heard and know.

1. Chiefs were very secretive about the Pioli negotations. No one knew when they met, where they met or who else was interviewed. There was lots of speculaiton but only one man rose to the top of the rumors for those 2 plus weeks and he is now the GM.

2. Herm and his staff were not at the Senior Bowl. You would have to think that interviews had already started early this week.

3. As with Pioli rumors and speculations has been runnig rampant about the new HC of the Chiefs and Shanahan seems to be the top of that list (through sources). All other canidates appear to be pure speculation.

4. Many reporters see this as a near perfect "marriage of a Top GM and Top HC". This could be why the rumors keep getting fueled.

5. Clark Hunt has a jet and apparently it can fly under the radar where ever he may want to go.

6. Reported on this Forum (I believe) Dennis Green was spotted in KC. Apparently he was dressed to the 9's and having dinner with another gentlemen at Ruth Kris. It is anyones guess on the accuracy of this report (I am not doubting the original poster). Rooney Rule?

7. Chiefs denied that Gun had interviewed with Detroit, yet he was hired 8 to 10 hours later. Sounds familar to me.

8. Mortenson retracted his comments stating that the Clark had be very interested in Mike Shanahan and had gone as far as drawing up a "mock contract" but no negotiating has been done. I just don't buy this. Shefter says that Shanahan has not been contacted by the Chiefs. Something is going on here. How do you draw up a "mock contract" and never contact the guy? Smells funny to me.

9. Bowlen state in that he would not consider KC. This is the only team Bowlen mentioned out of the 11 openings. It would be a classic hire if only for this point.

10. Jack called Herms termination...Was his source accurate and the Chiefs are only delaying the announcement of Shanahan? Or did he just get lucky on this prediction?

There is certainly a lot of smoke for there being NO fire as Shefter is reporting. Many state that he is more reliable because of his Bronco connections. Shanahan is no longer a Bronco. Why would he leak anything to Shefter if he did not want the Broncos to know?

I bet we have to wait another two weeks to find out how this unravels. :francis:

okikcfan
01-24-2009, 03:03 PM
They say before a team can hire a coach he must interview at least one black for the coaching job, (no offense to anyone I hope) Now my point is Shanahan got fired one day and they had a new coach the next day. Talking about ducking under the radar. No one knew they were interviewing or did I just misunderstand the rules? Is it different if you promote within?

Big Daddy Tek
01-24-2009, 11:54 PM
They say before a team can hire a coach he must interview at least one black for the coaching job, (no offense to anyone I hope) Now my point is Shanahan got fired one day and they had a new coach the next day. Talking about ducking under the radar. No one knew they were interviewing or did I just misunderstand the rules? Is it different if you promote within?

They actually interviewed 2 black coaches and it was a two week process. One of them, Leslie Frasier, was one of the finalists.

Chiefster
01-24-2009, 11:58 PM

This source says he's in, that sourse says he's out - who knows at this point. :drunkhb:

yashi
01-25-2009, 12:44 AM
Mike Shanahan 'definitely' not filling Chiefs coaching vacancy - NFL - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/24/shanahan.chiefs/index.html)

okikcfan
01-25-2009, 12:41 PM
I heard Shanny had said he WILL NOT Coach in 2009

Bike
01-25-2009, 01:19 PM
If I was getting paid 7 mil to do nothing, I would strongly consider it...

Canada
01-25-2009, 01:19 PM
If I was getting paid 7 mil to do nothing, I would strongly consider it...

I am doing nothing right now...for way less money. I love it!!

Bike
01-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I am doing nothing right now...for way less money. I love it!!
I thought you were workin' on a fattie!!
That ain't nothin'!!!:bananen_smilies046:

rbedgood
01-26-2009, 12:14 PM

...and the fact that they haven't drafted anything even considered a quality prospect at that position in years. They always want to grab the upside guy late in the draft. Which is fine, but you end up with the guys that have question marks and other teams didn't want. Guess durability could be one of those question marks?

chiefnut
01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
The Chiefs and former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan have had no negotiations posted on espn by adam scheffler 2 hrs ago

Nel Toille
01-26-2009, 04:33 PM
The Chiefs and former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan have had no negotiations posted on espn by adam scheffler 2 hrs ago
Who cares what schlongster says. I'm not trying to be a pro-shanny guy here but if he was negotiating with the Chiefs, Schefter, like the rest of us, would be the last to know. Even though he's good friends with Shanny, all negotiations are being done behind closed doors and nobody, including those being interviewed, are allowed to say anything. We'll see what happens but I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs haven't at least contacted him. They will weigh all of their options before making a decision.

...and the fact that they haven't drafted anything even considered a quality prospect at that position in years. They always want to grab the upside guy late in the draft. Which is fine, but you end up with the guys that have question marks and other teams didn't want. Guess durability could be one of those question marks?
I've always like the way the Broncos draft RBs, which seems like at least one a year. They draft guys that will work in their system for two years or so and then dump 'em before their tires start losing their tread. They never go after the most high profile guy but they always work out because they focus more on their line than anything else. This is a pretty proven way to go about it because they always seem to have a great running game despite never having great running backs.

yashi
01-26-2009, 04:46 PM
I've always like the way the Broncos draft RBs, which seems like at least one a year. They draft guys that will work in their system for two years or so and then dump 'em before their tires start losing their tread. They never go after the most high profile guy but they always work out because they focus more on their line than anything else. This is a pretty proven way to go about it because they always seem to have a great running game despite never having great running backs.
I agree. Any RB can flourish as long as emphasis is placed on the offensive line. I think the strategy of never putting big money into running backs is a good one and I'm surprised more GMs don't do the same.

Bike
01-26-2009, 05:01 PM
I agree. Any RB can flourish as long as emphasis is placed on the offensive line. I think the strategy of never putting big money into running backs is a good one and I'm surprised more GMs don't do the same.
Absolutely. Build your lines and keep them built and the playoffs will be an annual ritual for us for years to come...

rbedgood
01-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Who cares what schlongster says. I'm not trying to be a pro-shanny guy here but if he was negotiating with the Chiefs, Schefter, like the rest of us, would be the last to know. Even though he's good friends with Shanny, all negotiations are being done behind closed doors and nobody, including those being interviewed, are allowed to say anything. We'll see what happens but I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs haven't at least contacted him. They will weigh all of their options before making a decision.

I recognize the success they've had in that regard, however my point is that the pitfall of the scheme is that these guys they grab late in the draft have concerns that other teams didn't grab them...those concerns could be they're a bit slower, or not big and durable enough, etc.

This year durability became the issue.

Coach
01-26-2009, 11:51 PM
I agree. But what Chiefs fan doesn't? The last 2 RB's we paid big money to were both injured before the ink dried. (Priest and LJ).

texaschief
01-27-2009, 12:06 AM
I for one, wouldn't be excited to see us taking a RB every year in the draft. That would blow.

windwalker
01-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Just wondering.... has it been 48 hours yet???

Guru
01-27-2009, 06:51 AM
This is the longest 48 hours I have ever witnessed. heh

Seek
01-27-2009, 09:32 AM
The 48 hours was bogus, as I can tell your sarcasm is already stating. The Firing of Herm Edwards was right at the NFL deadine to report stories. The NFL has a deadline, where they won't report any stories because they don't want any other news trumping the superbowl.

The HC won't be announced until after the superbowl is over, even if the deal is already done.

Coach
01-27-2009, 07:54 PM
The Firing of Herm Edwards was right at the NFL deadine to report stories. The NFL has a deadline, where they won't report any stories because they don't want any other news trumping the superbowl.

Really? I have never read or heard of that rule before. Didn't several teams name DC's and OC's this week. I have Sirius NFL radio and 15 minutes they annouce the latest NFL news.

I have no doubt that the HC won't be announced until after the superbowl, but I highly doubt it is for this reason.

tornadospotter
01-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Really? I have never read or heard of that rule before. Didn't several teams name DC's and OC's this week. I have Sirius NFL radio and 15 minutes they annouce the latest NFL news.

I have no doubt that the HC won't be announced until after the super bowl, but I highly doubt it is for this reason.

Most likely because the next Head Coach of the Chiefs, is coaching in the Super Bowl.:11:

texaschief
01-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Most likely because the next Head Coach of the Chiefs, is coaching in the Super Bowl.:11:

barf

Chiefster
01-27-2009, 10:34 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Yup!

Seek
01-28-2009, 04:23 PM

I have no doubt that the HC won't be announced until after the superbowl, but I highly doubt it is for this reason.

That is what they have been saying on the radio all week. I don't know the rules, and given the source is 610 sports. It could be fabricated information.

KristofLaw
01-28-2009, 08:24 PM
:funnypost: This week on 48...

Nel Toille
01-28-2009, 09:31 PM
That is what they have been saying on the radio all week. I don't know the rules, and given the source is 610 sports. It could be fabricated information.
Considering the Raiders just named their coach, I don't think this rule really exists. I guess it's not the same considering they didn't hire anyone but there have been multiple hirings this week so... yeah. 610 got their facts wrong... again.

Sn@keIze
01-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Considering the Raiders just named their coach, I don't think this rule really exists. I guess it's not the same considering they didn't hire anyone but there have been multiple hirings this week so... yeah. 610 got their facts wrong... again.
there was never really a rule on this or when anything happens in the the NFL week(s) of SB.

But there is an unofficial sportsmanship that some players and coaches go by ( if they decide too) to wait till after the SB so it doesnt take away from the limelight of the teams that got there.

texaschief
01-28-2009, 10:10 PM

Nobody really cares about the Raiders' head coach because they do this every off season. That coach has absolutely ZERO job security. So, the naming of the Raiders' head coach isn't nearly as news worthy as the Chiefs head coach... it's all relative.

theaxeeffect4311
01-29-2009, 12:22 AM
there was never really a rule on this or when anything happens in the the NFL week(s) of SB.

But there is an unofficial sportsmanship that some players and coaches go by ( if they decide too) to wait till after the SB so it doesnt take away from the limelight of the teams that got there.

And vice-versa. Some teams like the spotlight, so they do not want their news to be overshadowed by something else. I'm starting to think that Pioli is a guy who likes the medias attention. But who knows.

What's everyone going to be talking about after the Super Bowl? KC just hired a new head coach. Then all the attention will be all the Chiefs.

Coach
01-29-2009, 11:05 PM
What's everyone going to be talking about after the Super Bowl? KC just hired a new head coach. Then all the attention will be all the Chiefs.

Hopefully they will be talking about Bill Cowher coming out of retirement.

Do you think there is any chance that Bill Cowher didn't want to be named until after the Steelers were out of the playoffs so that he wouldn't be a distraction to his old team?

I'm grasping at straws with fingers crossed.

hermhater
01-29-2009, 11:52 PM

This man knows.

theaxeeffect4311
01-30-2009, 12:16 AM

Do you think there is any chance that Bill Cowher didn't want to be named until after the Steelers were out of the playoffs so that he wouldn't be a distraction to his old team?

We could go knock on his door and ask him. He only lives in Leawood, KS, right?

Vandelay
01-30-2009, 12:25 AM

Sounds good to me, I like the way you think Coach. I'm going to roll with this until I see otherwise.:bananen_smilies046:

prough91
01-31-2009, 05:37 PM
Here we are on the #354th hour...

tornadospotter
01-31-2009, 07:53 PM

I am going with this theory, I like it.:bananen_smilies046:

We could go knock on his door and ask him. He only lives in Leawood, KS, right?
So the rumor is. :D

Pro_Angler
01-31-2009, 11:54 PM
I see one of two things happening..we get haley (we are screwed) or we get cowhard (we win maybe 4 SB in 8-9 years.)

Three7s
02-01-2009, 12:27 AM
I see one of two things happening..we get haley (we are screwed) or we get cowhard (we win maybe 4 SB in 8-9 years.)
Then by your definition, we're screwed, because Cowher ain't comin.

Canada
02-01-2009, 01:21 AM

you already told us we would never get Cowher so why bring it up now?

greg3564
02-01-2009, 05:30 PM

Please elaborate as to why we'd be screwed with Haley? I think the guy is very talented and has plenty of experience, not to mention he's in charge of the explosive Cards offense. Cowher isn't coming, so you might as well forget that pipe dream.

Sn@keIze
02-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Please elaborate as to why we'd be screwed with Haley? I think the guy is very talented and has plenty of experience, not to mention he's in charge of the explosive Cards offense. Cowher isn't coming, so you might as well forget that pipe dream.Is it offense we need right now or a Defensive mind coach? What defensive traits have you see from Haley to think he can come in and fix the worst Defense in the NFL?

And how in the sam is this thread still going?

greg3564
02-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Is it offense we need right now or a Defensive mind coach? What defensive traits have you see from Haley to think he can come in and fix the worst Defense in the NFL?

And how in the sam is this thread still going?

Let's see, the last two defensive minded coaches were Gunther Cunningham(16-16) and Herm Edwards(15-33). I'll take an offensive coach right now.

hardcorechiefsfan
02-01-2009, 11:08 PM
I was so hoping that Shanahan would become HC, and then I realized that he is a superbowl coach. Why would he OR Cowher for that matter come to the 2-14 chiefs?

AkChief49
02-01-2009, 11:11 PM
I was so hoping that Shanahan would become HC, and then I realized that he is a superbowl coach. Why would he OR Cowher for that matter come to the 2-14 chiefs?to apply their craft and turn it around to 14-2?

texaschief
02-01-2009, 11:20 PM
I've read a Jon Gruden rumor that states "there's a 90% chance of it happening."

Personally, I don't like that move. His players hate him. If we can't get Cowher, Haley is probably the guy. If we do bring on Haley, Bill Davis (Cardinal LB coach) sounds like a good DC candidate who would be in favor of a 4-3 under defense mixed in with some 3-4. That type of defense might be the best way to transition the team built for the 4-3 to move to the 3-4.

AkChief49
02-01-2009, 11:29 PM
I agree about Gruden and I hope the rumor is just that. a rumor.- this from PFT.....

Meanwhile, rumors that Warner’s offensive coordinator Todd Haley is heading to Kansas City continue to swirl.
According to Mortensen, while Haley has not been allowed to interview with the Chiefs yet, he spent a significant time on the phone during the week trying to get a coaching staff in place.

Big Daddy Tek
02-02-2009, 12:02 AM
I've read a Jon Gruden rumor that states "there's a 90% chance of it happening."

Personally, I don't like that move. His players hate him. If we can't get Cowher, Haley is probably the guy. If we do bring on Haley, Bill Davis (Cardinal LB coach) sounds like a good DC candidate who would be in favor of a 4-3 under defense mixed in with some 3-4. That type of defense might be the best way to transition the team built for the 4-3 to move to the 3-4.

and then we get the inside track on Karlos Dansby

texaschief
02-02-2009, 12:15 AM
and then we get the inside track on Karlos Dansby

... and Kurt Warner...

Sn@keIze
02-02-2009, 01:13 AM
Let's see, the last two defensive minded coaches were Gunther Cunningham(16-16) and Herm Edwards(15-33). I'll take an offensive coach right now.
Thats actually a good point.

But, Gunther is a good D coord. He just couldnt do what he wanted.

Herm never really had impressive stats as a D guy. His record in NY was mediocre at best, it was a bad move by CP.

But I think we should try to find someone who can do what Herm couldnt.

I mean c'mon, the worst pass rush in NFL history?!..I just dont see Haley as the guy to oversee the fix. If he is a great Offensive guy, then great, I just dont think the Vermeil/Saunders era where we have all offense and no D is an answer.

Now if it something to where we get Shottenheimer [calibur] as D coord. who has a say, then im all for it.

tornadospotter
02-02-2009, 01:30 AM
Thats actually a good point.

But, Gunther is a good D coord. He just couldnt do what he wanted.

Herm never really had impressive stats as a D guy. His record in NY was mediocre at best, it was a bad move by CP.

But I think we should try to find someone who can do what Herm couldnt.

I mean c'mon, the worst pass rush in NFL history?!..I just dont see Haley as the guy to oversee the fix. If he is a great Offensive guy, then great, I just dont think the Vermeil/Saunders era where we have all offense and no D is an answer.

Now if it something to where we get Shottenheimer [calibur] as D coord. who has a say, then im all for it.

Yes, me to. :11:

Lazeye
02-02-2009, 01:34 AM
I just want to win.

texaschief
02-02-2009, 01:58 AM
... not me. I want a perennial Super Bowl contender and champion. I've seen this franchise do enough "winning" over the last 20 years. I want to see a dynasty in KC.

tornadospotter
02-02-2009, 02:41 AM
... not me. I want a perennial Super Bowl contender and champion. I've seen this franchise do enough "winning" over the last 20 years. I want to see a dynasty in KC.
I also want a SB dynasty, I think we all want that!! We have gone through the winning era with no SB, but after the last two seasons, I just want to get back to respectability! Restoration of the Arrowhead winning streaks, make all teams fear playing in Arrowhead! :11:

texaschief
02-02-2009, 02:44 AM
I also want a SB dynasty, I think we all want that!! We have gone through the winning era with no SB, but after the last two seasons, I just want to get back to respectability! Restoration of the Arrowhead winning streaks, make all teams fear playing in Arrowhead! :11:

All GREAT teams spend time at the bottom at some point. At least we've broken out of the cycle of mediocrity. Ownership has put in place at least one half of a potentially great upper management team. Let's hope Pioli can find the other half. This team won't be at the bottom much longer. Count on it.

tornadospotter
02-02-2009, 04:31 AM
All GREAT teams spend time at the bottom at some point. At least we've broken out of the cycle of mediocrity. Ownership has put in place at least one half of a potentially great upper management team. Let's hope Pioli can find the other half. This team won't be at the bottom much longer. Count on it.
Yes I know this well! :wheelchair: I have been there.:11: Before!

Coach
02-02-2009, 10:05 AM
According to Mortensen, while Haley has not been allowed to interview with the Chiefs yet, he spent a significant time on the phone during the week trying to get a coaching staff in place.

Mortenson is a joke. Haven't we learned that already. He's lost all credibility with me after the Shanahan story.

I have more credibility than Mortenson right now.

Coach says that Haley spent significant time on the phone with lots of people last week. So there is an equal chance that he is not coming to KC.

Mort needs a new sport.