PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the next KC Head Coach for 2009?

dbolan
01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
John Gruden

Todd Haley

Herm Edwards

Chan Gailey

Mike Shannahan

jerhart
01-22-2009, 02:44 PM
I pick Other.

I say Todd Bowles...or some other young up and comer.

theaxeeffect4311
01-22-2009, 05:06 PM
I pick Other.

I say Todd Bowles...or some other young up and comer.

Leslie Frazier, Vikings DC, would be an interesting choice. I'm surprised he is not getting more recognition. Oh well.

However, I am not sold on the idea of Haley. As someone else said in another thread, his offense did not have a good running game and the offense had kurt Warner, Boldin, and Fitzgerald. Throw in Steve Breaston and you can wreak havoc on an defense. So we'll see what happens.

Vandelay
01-22-2009, 06:46 PM
I vote Cowher, I'm not giving up on him until the fat lady sings.

okikcfan
01-22-2009, 08:36 PM
I vote Cowher, I'm not giving up on him until the fat lady sings.

The Fat Lady Passed On Yesterday, Sorry.....:lol:

okikcfan
01-22-2009, 09:01 PM
This is also so interesting reading..

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/01/nfl_insider_do_chiefs_now_have.html

jap1
01-23-2009, 02:25 AM
Leslie Frazier, Vikings DC, would be an interesting choice. I'm surprised he is not getting more recognition. Oh well.

However, I am not sold on the idea of Haley. As someone else said in another thread, his offense did not have a good running game and the offense had kurt Warner, Boldin, and Fitzgerald. Throw in Steve Breaston and you can wreak havoc on an defense. So we'll see what happens.

Yeah I wouldnt mind Leslie Frazier either. I remember right at the close of the season there was a lot of buzz about him and the many coaching vacancies, but then it dropped off pretty quickly. He had the number 6 overall defense and the best run D this past year. He gets bonus points for being a defensive guy in my book too. Never liked offensive head coaches.

After all, like my high school coach would always say:
"Offense makes highlight reels, Defense wins championships."

yashi
01-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Lot of people still seem to believe that Shanahan is coming to KC. Keep in mind Adam Schefter has already shot the rumor down, and he's very rarely wrong on anything Shanahan or Broncos related.

theaxeeffect4311
01-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Lot of people still seem to believe that Shanahan is coming to KC. Keep in mind Adam Schefter has already shot the rumor down, and he's very rarely wrong on anything Shanahan or Broncos related.

I believe Shefter is a reliable guy, but I'll wait to see on this one. There have been too many rumors one way or another to say that Shanahan is in or out.

And how about those Bill Cowher rumors coming back to life? :lol:

Bike
01-23-2009, 10:40 PM
I believe Shefter is a reliable guy, but I'll wait to see on this one. There have been too many rumors one way or another to say that Shanahan is in or out.

And how about those Bill Cowher rumors coming back to life? :lol:
Didn't know about that. I thought he just signed another year contract as a commentater...

Bike
01-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Seriously. How and where did Chris Mortenson get his sources to report that Shanny was our new HC?
Piss-poor job on Morts part to report nothing but rumours and inuendo as fact on espn...

theaxeeffect4311
01-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Didn't know about that. I thought he just signed another year contract as a commentater...

He did but it's funny that as soon as something changes, the rumors of Cowher come back to life. There are rumors out there that he bought a house in Leawood, KS.

Rumors are just merely rumors

Coach
01-24-2009, 02:00 AM
Haley seems to be the most likely candidate at this point.

okikcfan
01-24-2009, 02:01 AM
Well Carls gone and now Herms gone, we, well most of us got our Christmas wish. As in the past the rumors will fly in and then fly out so until Pioli makes an anouncement, it's just wonder, wait and see. Shanahan, Haley or wild Bill, nothing at this point would suprise me!

chief31
01-24-2009, 02:35 AM
Until we have someone else, I refuse to give up on Cowher myself. But anything is better than Shanahan.

Chief Buck Rogers
01-24-2009, 10:37 AM
I agree with Vandelay,

Bring on the Marvelous Mandible!!!

Chief Buck Rogers
01-24-2009, 10:48 AM
I just read an interesting stat in an article in the KC Star: (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/998517.html)

"But consider this: No Super Bowl-winning coach has ever gone on to another team and won another Super Bowl. That list includes Holmgren, Mike Ditka, Dick Vermeil and Parcells."

127markaz
01-24-2009, 11:29 AM
1. I'm not into retread coaches who got canned from their previous team. There's more to wins and losses that led them to the guillotine.

2. I'm not into hiring college head coaches for an NFL job unless they have previous NFL experience. If they do have previous NFL experience, then refer to #1. That said,

Who do I want for head coach? Todd Haley
Who will be the next head coach? Todd Haley

Haley is a young Cowher, only an O-coordinator. What you see on the tube is what you get. Takes no crap from any player and wins ballgames. At this point in Chiefs history, Kansas City needs an iron-fisted coach with a great football mind, much like Cowher, Belichick, Parcells, etc. If KC wants a "players coach", someone the players really like and respect and a man of "great integrity", then head to KCI airport and stop Herm from getting his ticket on One-way Expresss. The days of Coach Kumbaya are over.

I live in Phoenix (GO CARDS!) and fortunately, we are bombed with the daily SuperBowl news. The duck and weave by Haley with the local news boys when asked about the Chiefs HC position rivals Muhammad Ali. Anytime someone starts the first sentence of their answer with a smirk or smile, somethin's up.

Last I checked, the Arizona Cardinals, yes the Cardinals, are SuperBowl-bound and in great part because of two coaches...Wisenhunt and Haley. If KC wants to restore credibility and win, trust me, Haley's the guy.

hometeam
01-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Im not sold on Haley. We dont have the leagues best reciever tandem, and a 2 time MVP super bowl winning QB, so we cant expect that same kind of passing attack they have had down there for the past few years. Also, its one thing for a coach at players, it shows something else when the players yell back. (excluding TO)

That being said,if they choose him, I will give him the benefit of the doubt, becuase he hasnt shown he is a poor head coach yet. (like Herm did before we traded a 4th for him!)

stevo1020
01-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't like Haley for two simple reasons. He has had one good year as a coordinator and he got into a yelling match with Boldin. Those are the only factors that make him stick out to be a good head coach? Come on and get real. This trend of trying to find the next young star as a coach is getting rediculous. Go out and offer the bank to Cowher and get the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. :smilies_musik45:

Bike
01-24-2009, 06:00 PM
It doesn't matter. Herm and King Carl are both gone. My Chief dreams have been realized.
Now my next dream is for Pioli to win us the Superbowl. I have no doubt that he will bring in the personnel to do just that.
I really think we will win the afc west outright in 09, go at afc championship game in 10, and win the Superbowl in 11,12,13,14 and 15.
The new NFL dynasty is under way in KC!

Chief4Ever&Ever
01-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Until we have someone else, I refuse to give up on Cowher myself. But anything is better than Shanahan.

Well said Chief31!! I can't believe chief fans would even want Shanahan!! He is a Donkey, he coached our #1 enemy!!

chief31
01-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Well said Chief31!! I can't believe chief fans would even want Shanahan!! He is a Donkey, he coached our #1 enemy!!

I am against him coaching anywhere. But especially for my Chiefs.

KCraised
01-24-2009, 11:31 PM
I'll put in a couple of my own bucks towards the "Pull Cowher out of retirement" fund......I like Shanahan...if only just to piss off all the Donkeys...;)

Chiefster
01-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Haley

Bike
01-25-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't care who it is. I'm with whoever Pioli chooses. This will be by far the most important decision he makes as a GM, and he's only two weeks in. Take your time, Scott.....

127markaz
01-25-2009, 12:25 PM
.....I really think we will win the afc west outright in 09, go at afc championship game in 10, and win the Superbowl in 11,12,13,14 and 15.
The new NFL dynasty is under way in KC!

Great optimism!

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp135/127markaz/SuperStock_204-428A.jpg

Bike
01-25-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't remember authorizing my photo on this sight.
But then again, I don't remember anything...

Bike
01-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Why do I get the feeling that Gailey will be our hc for 09 while Pioli makes the most important decision of his career??

127markaz
01-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Why do I get the feeling that Gailey will be our hc for 09 while Pioli makes the most important decision of his career??

Have you considered banning yourself from this site for saying that?

Bring in Haley and let's get it on!

Bike
01-25-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't think I'm allowed to ban anybody, so no, I won't ban myself!!!
I will say, however, that I don't know enough about Haley to say that he is the coach to lead us for the next decade....
If Pioli decides on Haley, I'm all about it.

chiefnut
01-26-2009, 04:00 PM
The Chiefs and former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan have had no negotiations....POSTED on espn blog by adam scheffler 2 hrs ago

Nel Toille
01-27-2009, 01:20 PM
What about Jason Garrett? He's really the most desirable HC prospect out there right now. He's in a bad situation in Dallas; waiting to become the HC with the possibility of it never happening. I wouldn't be surprised if Pioli tries to lure him away. Right now I think Haley and Garrett are probably at the top of his list. Whether or not they can shake JG away from Jerry's death grip, I don't know.

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 01:49 PM
What about Jason Garrett? He's really the most desirable HC prospect out there right now. He's in a bad situation in Dallas; waiting to become the HC with the possibility of it never happening. I wouldn't be surprised if Pioli tries to lure him away. Right now I think Haley and Garrett are probably at the top of his list. Whether or not they can shake JG away from Jerry's death grip, I don't know.

After the mess that was the Dallas Cowboys this year, there's no way Pioli even interviews Garrett. Look for Pioli to get a blood and guts guy like Haley (a Parcells disciple) or to go with Gailey (a Cowher guy).

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 01:52 PM

I'm not opposed to this at all. The Chiefs already stopped the Bucs from interviewing him to be their OC. Gailey’s got a rapport with the offense (seriously, how that crew scored 10+ a game I’ll never know), he’s a good guy, and he’d be very willing to let a good DC take care of the entire defense. There’s no way Pioli reaches for a QB in this lousy QB draft, and there’s no good free agent QBs so they might as well keep some consistency for the Thigpen. Plus, if Cowher decides to coach in 2010, Gailey is a whole lot easier to replace than a young guy like Haley or a legend like Shanahan.

Everyone forgets how good of a coach Gailey is. He actually had a winning record with Dallas. He was a great OC for Pittsburgh. And he turned the worst offensive personnel I’ve ever seen into a legitimate offense last year. What am I missing? Give him his shot. If he finishes with a losing record, then ask him to move back to OC and hire Cowher. If he wins a playoff spot, then you probably didn’t need Cowher (who choked almost as much as Marty) anyway.

Bike
01-27-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm not opposed to this at all. The Chiefs already stopped the Bucs from interviewing him to be their OC. Gailey’s got a rapport with the offense (seriously, how that crew scored 10+ a game I’ll never know), he’s a good guy, and he’d be very willing to let a good DC take care of the entire defense. There’s no way Pioli reaches for a QB in this lousy QB draft, and there’s no good free agent QBs so they might as well keep some consistency for the Thigpen. Plus, if Cowher decides to coach in 2010, Gailey is a whole lot easier to replace than a young guy like Haley or a legend like Shanahan.

Everyone forgets how good of a coach Gailey is. He actually had a winning record with Dallas. He was a great OC for Pittsburgh. And he turned the worst offensive personnel I’ve ever seen into a legitimate offense last year. What am I missing? Give him his shot. If he finishes with a losing record, then ask him to move back to OC and hire Cowher. If he wins a playoff spot, then you probably didn’t need Cowher (who choked almost as much as Marty) anyway.
I tend to agree. A new hc would likely bring in his own oc and qc and this doesn't bode well for a young qb.
Keeping Gailey here as hc would allow at least some continuity with these young players.
Unless - of course - Pioli really thinks Haley (or somebody else immediately available) is the future of this franchise...
Come on Superbowl!!

greg3564
01-27-2009, 03:56 PM
If Gailey were the new HC, they would have announced it by now. The longer we don't hear anything, the more I suspect Haley is the choice. They can't announce that until after the Superbowl.

KottkeKU
01-27-2009, 04:00 PM
we should just get keanu reeves as head coach...

theaxeeffect4311
01-27-2009, 04:26 PM
we should just get keanu reeves as head coach...

Would Keanu be head coach/DE because I think he could pull it off.

jap1
01-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Just read this about Shanahan. He laughed at the idea of coaching the Chiefs:

Shanahan laughs at rumors that have him coaching in KC - Sports Rumors - NFL - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Shanahan-laughs-at-rumors-that-have-him-coaching?urn=nfl,136807)

N TX Dave
01-27-2009, 06:26 PM
If Gailey were the new HC, they would have announced it by now. The longer we don't hear anything, the more I suspect Haley is the choice. They can't announce that until after the Superbowl.

That is probably true unless Pioli is waiting to see if he can get Haley and maybe he has told Gailey he will be HC if a deal can not be worked out with Haley.

Pro_Angler
01-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Haley = another frikin loser and more sucky seasons for the chiefs. He is a so so one hit wonder offensive coordinator thats all nothing more. i dont know where or what you base your "bring in haley" idealism, but it a frikin slap in all chiefs fans faces.

kcallin
01-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Well this is my first first post but its a big one. An inside person has said Bill Cowher bought a home in Leawood KS on Sunday the 25th. Maybe he just likes the area???

Coach
01-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Well this is my first first post but its a big one. An inside person has said Bill Cowher bought a home in Leawood KS on Sunday the 25th. Maybe he just likes the area???

Thanks for the 1st post, but that rumor has been tried several times. Not happening this year.

Chiefster
01-27-2009, 10:29 PM

Who, and where?

kcallin
01-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Well I guess we just wait and see.

Chiefster
01-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the 1st post, but that rumor has been tried several times. Not happening this year.

Ditto!

Coach
01-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Well I guess we just wait and see.

OK. I've never wanted to be this wrong.

:welcome:

kcallin
01-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Don't beat up the messenger just telling what I was told from a realtor.

Coach
01-27-2009, 10:43 PM

Not beating you up. I'll be patting you on the back if you're right.

But within the last month he has supposedly purchased 3 homes in different cities. Lots of realtors must want him to be the coach as well.:yahoo:

Chiefster
01-27-2009, 10:43 PM

No one beatin on the messenger, just lettin ya know that the issue has been extensively discussed already. Personally I like Cowher and would like nothing more then to see him as our head coach.

dbolan
01-28-2009, 02:52 PM
John Gruden

Todd Haley

Herm Edwards

Chan Gailey

Mike Shannahan

Looks like Russ Grimm could be a viable candidate as well.

Bike
01-28-2009, 03:17 PM
We need our coaching staff in place pdq dammit! OTA's just around the corner, draft end of April and training camp right after. If Pioli doesn't announce our new hc monday, I'm gonna kick my a$$...

honda522
01-28-2009, 03:24 PM
We need our coaching staff in place pdq dammit! OTA's just around the corner, draft end of April and training camp right after. If Pioli doesn't announce our new hc monday, I'm gonna kick my a$$...
Give em time. They wont announce anything untill after the superbowl. My bet is that it will be Haley. Thats why they are waited so long time fire herm, and thats why it is taking a long time to make an announcment. Pioli wants the right guy for the job tho.

Bike
01-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Yeah but I don't wanna wait!
I wannna know NOW..
DO IT.

127markaz
01-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Looks like Russ Grimm could be a viable candidate as well.
Could be. Hope not. Cards LAST in NFL rushing. If you're the O-Line coach, that sucks on your resume.

theaxeeffect4311
01-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Could be. Hope not. Cards LAST in NFL rushing. If you're the O-Line coach, that sucks on your resume.

It's not much better on the resume of the Offensive Coordinator either...

NJKCFAN
01-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Cowher would be great, but I don't think it will happen. I think we're waiting until after Sunday to talk to Haley. If that doesn't work out, for some reason. I think it will be Gailey.

Chiefster
01-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Yeah but I don't wanna wait!
I wannna know NOW..
DO IT.

A virtue, patience is my young padawan.

ChiefMojo
01-31-2009, 10:47 AM
My vote is Bill Cowher! Until he publicly says no, he is a legit option and very likely #1 on Pioli/Hunts list. This Haley nonsense is laughable to be honest.

Nel Toille
01-31-2009, 12:35 PM
They are last because they're not a running team. They had the fewest rushing attempts. I'm sure this is why it would be easy to lure Grimm away. He's built great lines and running games before and I'm sure he'd rather coach for a team that puts more emphasis on the run.

Pro_Angler
01-31-2009, 11:53 PM
Haley for the last time does not i repeat does not merrit a HC position with any team let alone the Chiefs. This would be a set back if he was the HC.

jmlamerson
02-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Haley for the last time does not i repeat does not merrit a HC position with any team let alone the Chiefs. This would be a set back if he was the HC.

Didn't you want to keep Herm for 2009? No offense, but I think your qualifications for choosing coaches may not be up to snuff.

slc chief
02-01-2009, 12:43 PM

and how do you know that look at the falcons head coach the same doubt about him was being thrown around and he did pretty damn good the fact is you never know with these coaches unless you are the one interviewing them and i hate to say it because cowher is a great coach but i highly doubt he will be the next coach of the chiefs so i guess we should probably move on wich sucks but it is reality

jmlamerson
02-01-2009, 12:51 PM
and how do you know that look at the falcons head coach the same doubt about him was being thrown around and he did pretty damn good the fact is you never know with these coaches unless you are the one interviewing them and i hate to say it because cowher is a great coach but i highly doubt he will be the next coach of the chiefs so i guess we should probably move on wich sucks but it is reality

Not to mention that Cowher choked year in and year out for decades until the referees threw the SB for him.

He's not a bad coach, but FFS he's not exactly Bill Belichek/Chuck Noll/Jimmie Johnson either.

How many, exactly, SB-winning coaches have come out of retirement to do anything? Ditka with the Saints, Jimmie Johnson with the Dolphins, Joe Gibbs pt. 2 with the Redskins, Bill Parcells with the Cowboys, Vermiel with us - none of them ever won anything with their new team. So let's stop pretending Cowher is some sort of cure-all for us. Because with his track record of choking, and with the lousy track record of SB coaches on second teams I see us a whole lot more disappointed with Cowher than with a young OC who has his team in the SB.

slc chief
02-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Not to mention that Cowher choked year in and year out for decades until the referees threw the SB for him.

He's not a bad coach, but FFS he's not exactly Bill Belichek/Chuck Noll/Jimmie Johnson either.

How many, exactly, SB-winning coaches have come out of retirement to do anything? Ditka with the Saints, Jimmie Johnson with the Dolphins, Joe Gibbs pt. 2 with the Redskins, Bill Parcells with the Cowboys, Vermiel with us - none of them ever won anything with their new team. So let's stop pretending Cowher is some sort of cure-all for us. Because with his track record of choking, and with the lousy track record of SB coaches on second teams I see us a whole lot more disappointed with Cowher than with a young OC who has his team in the SB.
agree 100%

Codac
02-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Anyone consider Jason Garrett?

jmlamerson
02-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Anyone consider Jason Garrett?

Because that Cowboys offense is so fearsome? No thanks. We need a HC who won't lose control of the team.

Pro_Angler
02-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Az Cards cant even run the frikin ball give me a break.

Coach
02-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Cowher can accept the job now that he won't be a distraction to the Steelers. Please.

brish
02-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Because that Cowboys offense is so fearsome? No thanks. We need a HC who won't lose control of the team.

I would put that on their HC not OC.. Wade Garret is a limp ****.. :wheelchair:

Pro_Angler
02-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Didn't you want to keep Herm for 2009? No offense, but I think your qualifications for choosing coaches may not be up to snuff.

ok NEWB POST JUNKY....

nigeriannightmare
02-03-2009, 09:42 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think it's Kirk Ferentz from Iowa. tomorrow is national signing day in college and Iowa would stand to lose a lot of recruits had he already been announced so it kinda makes sense that the organization is saying anything about it. Some deal they struck with Iowa, keep your mouths shut until after signing day.

texaschief
02-03-2009, 11:36 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think it's Kirk Ferentz from Iowa. tomorrow is national signing day in college and Iowa would stand to lose a lot of recruits had he already been announced so it kinda makes sense that the organization is saying anything about it. Some deal they struck with Iowa, keep your mouths shut until after signing day.

omg... that just made my stomach turn. you're right. that makes sense... especially with Haley kinda looking like he's out in left field with no idea that he's even being considered for the spot. it's going to be REALLY hard for me to support a coach who has done jack sh!t in a weak conference for the last decade.

I was about to get on here and post that I think the coach will be Gailey and they're just going to wait till next season to hire their guy... but the Ferentz idea makes too much sense.

Chiefster
02-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Aint speculation fun! :D

hometeam
02-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I know this has been ruled out by the media but with Pioli blocking out all of the media they are guessing at this point so I am hoping for Kirk Ferentz as I am from Iowa and I have seen what he did with the Hawkeyes during his entire run here and it was impressive. If he can translate that to the Pro level which he has been at before, I believe it would be the best thing for the organization even though Tony Gonzalez has threatened to leave in the wake of a College coach taking the position. If they don't choose him the best choice IMO would be Bill Cowher. He has coached in KC in the past and it is all familiar territory to him.

Cowher would be the optimal choice. But he is also not going to be coaching this year. Ferentz has done nothing in Iowa but be mediocre. Sure he has had some winning seasons but he has only won 57% of his overall games at Iowa, and only 53% of all of his collegiate games at head coach.

I would really be dissapointed if it was Ferentz. All I would be able to do is hope for the best and wait it out to see, all while pining (sp?) for my love.. Mr Cowher~

nigeriannightmare
02-05-2009, 06:19 PM
omg... that just made my stomach turn. you're right. that makes sense... especially with Haley kinda looking like he's out in left field with no idea that he's even being considered for the spot. it's going to be REALLY hard for me to support a coach who has done jack sh!t in a weak conference for the last decade.

I was about to get on here and post that I think the coach will be Gailey and they're just going to wait till next season to hire their guy... but the Ferentz idea makes too much sense.

....and, i believe, he was an OL coach in the NFL for the Browns where he worked with Pioli. Too much of a coincidence, i dunno, but I don't like it.