PDA

View Full Version : kiper has us taking sanchez at # 3

slc chief
01-22-2009, 10:04 PM
mel kiper jr has his 2009 mock draft on espn .com he has us taking sanchez as our first pick in the draft.i am not so sure about sanchez he does not have to much experiance i guess we will see

MDChiefs!
01-22-2009, 10:14 PM
I agree. I dont think Sanchez has enough on the field experience to even be worth consideration at #3. Not only that, I am worried that he might just be another USC hype.

Big Daddy Tek
01-22-2009, 10:35 PM
I would be very surprised if Scott Pioli took a QB that high. History would have him taking a lineman.

DMN
01-22-2009, 11:07 PM
I cant see us taking a QB that high. Mostly cause he is not worth it. I am totally down with a lineman. Ultimately I would like to trade down... hopefully we can get a team foaming at the mouth for crabtree. Oh wait Detroit drafts before us... the top WR will be gone... nevermind.

greg3564
01-22-2009, 11:47 PM
I think Kiper's crazy. Sanchez won't even go in the top 10. Nor should he.

jmlamerson
01-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Kiper is almost always wrong, yet is still seen as an expert for reasons I'll never understand.

The average chimpanzee knows the Chiefs aren't picking Sanchez at 3, and that Sanchez is an average pro prospect (at best).

MDChiefs!
01-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Kiper is going to change his mock 10000 times before the Draft anyways...

slc chief
01-23-2009, 12:30 AM
I think Kiper's crazy. Sanchez won't even go in the top 10. Nor should he.

he will most likely end up in chicago

okikcfan
01-23-2009, 03:01 AM
I like for #3 Brian Orakpo DE out of Texas

127markaz
01-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Before the season began Kiper picked the Arizona Cardinals to post the worst record in the NFL in 2008. Spot on, Count Chocula.

Sanchez #3 to the Chiefs?
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp135/127markaz/thumb.png

DT14PRIEST
01-23-2009, 07:17 AM
First or second post ever but I had to comment on this.

Sanchez isn't the future and I think Kiper and Mcshay putting him there have to see that but are just going by numbers and media biased at the moment rather then overall necessity. The avaliblity of quality QBs is minimal in this years draft class.

My take...

Sanchez - USC system product with only two decent QBs out of there that I can think of off the top of my head: Carson Palmer and Matt Cassel have actually proved anything as of late. The jury is still out for me on Cassel and Palmer hasn't done anything spectacular in his time in Cincy.

Don't forget Leinart...

Will Leinart turn out to be a success? Maybe...he could be an Aaron Rodgers in waiting but as for now there isn't enough to go by so I'll just stick with my call as him being borderline bust/success till he gets one season under his belt with Wisenhunt.

Brings us back to the 09 class. Sanchez may be good but he isn't worth the #3 money; it would be financially irresponsible though I say this with the thought process that all first round picks are as such but for Sanchez this applies doubly so. Out of all the potential OBs in this draft class I think Josh Freeman from K-State has the most potential upside, but then again thats my opinion.

Pioli talked about how he needed the right players not necessarily the best players to win. Thigpen isn't the best and I doubt he will be the guy for more then another year but he is the right guy for the Chiefs right now (in my opinion). Thigpen provides what is needed for the moment, a mobile and durable quarterback (take the durable portion with a grain of salt) and showed enough to merit staying in the limelight another year. There are more pressing needs specifically in the front seven on defense and some blatantly obvious holes lacking on the offensive side of the ball on all levels. There is an abundance of talent available in this draft in some of the most major needs in KC's team that can be successfully addressed in this draft with some solid guys to take in the first round.

Some potential first round picks that make sense to me for the Chiefs to take (in no order)

- Aaron Curry (LB)
- Micheal Crabtree (WR)
- Eugene Monroe (OT)
- Andre Smith (OT)
- Brian Orakpo (DE)
- Aaron Maybin (DE/LB)

Some of these are luxury picks that I don't see the Chiefs taking in reality but would have no problem if they did take one of them. Or they could trade down, who knows.

127markaz
01-23-2009, 08:20 AM
First or second post ever but I had to comment on this.

Sanchez isn't the future and I think Kiper and Mcshay putting him there have to see that but are just going by numbers and media biased at the moment rather then overall necessity. The avaliblity of quality QBs is minimal in this years draft class.

My take...

Excellent post!:sign0098: Well thought out.

Every one of your picks is a good choice, but........!

The Chiefs were deemed to have had the best draft last year by the "experts". 4-12 later the status quo remains at the head coach position (I know, that's the subject of many other threads). The fact remains is that the Chiefs can land the best #3 for the team, but it's all for not until Pioli 'drafts' the Chiefs #1 PRIORITY...a quality Head Coach. Let's address that and then talk about the #3 pick.

Chief Tyler
01-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Brings us back to the 09 class. Sanchez may be good but he isn't worth the #3 money; it would be financially irresponsible though I say this with the thought process that all first round picks are as such but for Sanchez this applies doubly so. Out of all the potential OBs in this draft class I think Josh Freeman from K-State has the most potential upside, but then again thats my opinion.

I'm high on Freeman too, his numbers this season may not have been impressive as far as turnovers are concerned, a lot of that comes from what seems like an attempt to make a play when a play is dead, but most of it is the fact that he is playing behind an OLine about as threatening as a bunch of anorexic supermodels and his receivers all have TO/Bedwards syndrome.

dbolan
01-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Count Chocula! LMAO!!! That was a good one!!

As far as the Chiefs picking a QB at #3...Nadda. They will not pay an unproven guy that kind of cash right off the bat. If they can get him cheap...Maybe.

Don't be too surprised if Croyle stays around. He looked good in the game before he got injured and he is a "passing qb". IF he can get healthy, you never know.

Afterall, he did have a better college career than Trent Green and many of the others we have had at QB.

yashi
01-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Shows what Kiper knows. Sometimes I wonder if that guy even pays attention to the NFL or just glances at the rosters to decide what positions they need.

Taking "Dirty", as I like to call him, would be a huge mistake. Remember why we had our top 2 QBs go on IR early in the season? Drafting Sanchez doesn't solve that.

OPLookn
01-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Can anyone explain to me why so many people bash texas players in the NFL when they don't pan out, but then the second that someone shows a hint of promise we should draft them at all costs? By that I'm talking about Orakpo. He looked mediocre at best in the OSU game to me.

In my opinion we should draft one of the 3 O-lineman available and then in the 2nd take the best LB out there. Something else I've saw is trading down to philly for their two 1st round picks or trading to the Giants for several picks so they can get Crabtree. To me Stafford is going to the Lions and then they'll build around them. STL will take an O-Lineman and that leaves Crabtree available to replace Plaxico "I'm going to jail" Burress.

To those that say they want Crabtree here..normally I'd agree but when you don't have time to throw him a ball what's it going to matter? Shore up the line and let's watch our RB's run thru holes the size of a small car. Then it'll make the passing attack much more potent. After that either draft some of the best d-line out there or go FA for it. Just my two cents...discuss if you'd like.

wildcat
01-23-2009, 01:33 PM
I will be ticked if we take Crabtree. It would be fun to watch him in a Chief's uniform, but we have much bigger needs all over the place. We need to do something about RT, LG, RG, C, DE, LB, DT, and QB (in the latter rounds) before we even think about a WR.

jmlamerson
01-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Can anyone explain to me why so many people bash texas players in the NFL when they don't pan out, but then the second that someone shows a hint of promise we should draft them at all costs? By that I'm talking about Orakpo. He looked mediocre at best in the OSU game to me.

In my opinion we should draft one of the 3 O-lineman available and then in the 2nd take the best LB out there. Something else I've saw is trading down to philly for their two 1st round picks or trading to the Giants for several picks so they can get Crabtree. To me Stafford is going to the Lions and then they'll build around them. STL will take an O-Lineman and that leaves Crabtree available to replace Plaxico "I'm going to jail" Burress.

To those that say they want Crabtree here..normally I'd agree but when you don't have time to throw him a ball what's it going to matter? Shore up the line and let's watch our RB's run thru holes the size of a small car. Then it'll make the passing attack much more potent. After that either draft some of the best d-line out there or go FA for it. Just my two cents...discuss if you'd like.

The Giants aren't trading up. No one is trading up. We're stuck at the 3-spot.

Please, everyone, quit pretending we can somehow amass a bunch of picks by trading down. No one is trading up in maybe the last year before a rookie scale.

kcmostwanted
01-23-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't get the Crabtree hype... He's big and physical but he can't really stretch the field. I think he's talented but I don't think he's the next Larry Fitz. or A. Johnson, and I think Calvin Johnson is even better than him.. I think Crabtree is going to be a good but not great NFL receiver.
So if chiefs fans think we're going to draft 2 first round receivers in 3 years... you are dreaming!!!

Here's my take on Sanchez...
I think he has lots of upside and potential... He definitely has the size, arm strength and mobility to survive in the NFL, and with more developing and playing time I think he can be a very good NFL QB. That being said, I don't know if it's the best thing for the Chiefs to pick him at #3. The only thing I don't want the chiefs to do is put all their eggs in the Tyler Thigpen basket (like what they did w/ Brodie).

Also, I know that next years QB class is really hyped but I just don't buy the spread QB transitioning to the NFL (If you have questions look at how Gram Harrell is doing at the Senior Bowl).

I say our priorities should be:
LB
O-line
QB (Depth and possibly a Franchise QB)
D-line (free agents would make a bigger impact than rookies)
WR/KR
RB (This should move up if LJ is gone)
DB (mostly for depth)
K (Free agent)

kcmostwanted
01-23-2009, 01:52 PM
The Giants aren't trading up. No one is trading up. We're stuck at the 3-spot.

Please, everyone, quit pretending we can somehow amass a bunch of picks by trading down. No one is trading up in maybe the last year before a rookie scale.

Agreed!!! I don't know why everyone on here acts as if all the other teams are salivating to get the #3 pick.

Chiefs fans, unless a miracle happens.....We're stuck at #3!!!!!!

I say they need to fill as many needs in FA as possible so they can use some picks in the draft based on "Best player available" .. and not "Needs"

chiefnut
01-23-2009, 02:20 PM
the only areas NOT of immediate desperate need are QB, DB, WR
not that we could not use improvement in these areas, but these are not the reasons we lost 14 games

jmlamerson
01-23-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't get the Crabtree hype... He's big and physical but he can't really stretch the field. I think he's talented but I don't think he's the next Larry Fitz. or A. Johnson, and I think Calvin Johnson is even better than him.. I think Crabtree is going to be a good but not great NFL receiver.
So if chiefs fans think we're going to draft 2 first round receivers in 3 years... you are dreaming!!!

Here's my take on Sanchez...
I think he has lots of upside and potential... He definitely has the size, arm strength and mobility to survive in the NFL, and with more developing and playing time I think he can be a very good NFL QB. That being said, I don't know if it's the best thing for the Chiefs to pick him at #3. The only thing I don't want the chiefs to do is put all their eggs in the Tyler Thigpen basket (like what they did w/ Brodie).

Also, I know that next years QB class is really hyped but I just don't buy the spread QB transitioning to the NFL (If you have questions look at how Gram Harrell is doing at the Senior Bowl).

I say our priorities should be:
LB
O-line
QB (Depth and possibly a Franchise QB)
D-line (free agents would make a bigger impact than rookies)
WR/KR
RB (This should move up if LJ is gone)
DB (mostly for depth)
K (Free agent)

I agree with your first paragraph completely.

As for Thigpen, our keeping Gailey shows that we're sticking with Thigpen, at least through 2009. Which is smart. I have nothing against Josh Freeman, Nate Davis, Sanchez, or Stafford - but the 2010 QB class looks like a knockout. I'm in favor of drafting a rookie QB low in the draft, and seeing what Thigpen can do in 2009.

As much as I hate our LB corps right now, this FA period is thick with good veteran LBs who we could sign at a reasonable price. I wouldn't kick up a fuss if we drafted Curry, Maualuga, or even Orakpo with our first pick, but I think we can reconstitute our LB and DL positions through FA, whereas we can really only build our OL, RB, or WR through the draft. We have seven picks (I can't see us getting compensatory picks, as we had no real FA losses). I think we can use those seven picks to get starting C, LT (move Albert to LG and Waters to RG), RT, and RB (assuming LJ is cut), and backups at WR, QB, and LG.

I don't think we can count on the draft to do any more than that.

leaves
01-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I agree with all of you who know we can't trade the 3rd pick. I'm always confused as to why we would never grab the best guy and look to trade him for a good 2nd/3rd yr player (OL/DE/LB). I'd love to grab Freeman, but I think he'll go in the 2nd or 3rd, too early for me to want him. I'd like to see us grab a guy like pat white if he's there in the 5th or 6th, then use him as backup qb/2nd-3rd wr. Then next year grab that "superstar" qb from the qb flock.

leoness8
01-23-2009, 05:31 PM
If the Chiefs draft a WR, i'm going to snap, and so will everyone...Pioli is smart and I dont believe he will draft a WR at the 3rd overall pick. Maybe if his name was Matt Millen than maybe I could see it happening. All I hope for is a O-line pick or a D-line pick with the 3rd overall selection.

Bike
01-24-2009, 12:45 AM
If the Chiefs draft a WR, i'm going to snap, and so will everyone...Pioli is smart and I dont believe he will draft a WR at the 3rd overall pick. Maybe if his name was Matt Millen than maybe I could see it happening. All I hope for is a O-line pick or a D-line pick with the 3rd overall selection.
Pioli will build our lines as his 1st priority. No sexy picks this year...

KottkeKU
01-25-2009, 07:39 PM
i dont see why you would want to move Waters anywhere...hes one of the best guards in the league...albert at no.17 overall is pretty high for a guard, so IF your going to move him at all, it should be to RT not guard...(you can usually get a solid guard in FA each year) and then draft another tackle at no.3 overall this year...which still leaves a hole or two in the offensive line...so i think theres a good chance we will go offensive tackle no.3....or they trade down for maualuga (hopefully)...if maualuga is a chief, i predict he goes to the hall of fame...

jmlamerson
01-25-2009, 07:52 PM
i dont see why you would want to move Waters anywhere...hes one of the best guards in the league...albert at no.17 overall is pretty high for a guard, so IF your going to move him at all, it should be to RT not guard...(you can usually get a solid guard in FA each year) and then draft another tackle at no.3 overall this year...which still leaves a hole or two in the offensive line...so i think theres a good chance we will go offensive tackle no.3....or they trade down for maualuga (hopefully)...if maualuga is a chief, i predict he goes to the hall of fame...

We picked Albert 12th, not 17th. But it doesn't matter where we selected someone - what matters is where the can play best in the future, not where you picked them in the draft.

Albert doesn't look that great as a tackle. He'd be an exceptional guard. If we reached for him, that's in the past. What matters is 2009 and beyond.

texaschief
01-25-2009, 08:09 PM
ACTUALLY, Albert was taken #15.

jmlamerson
01-25-2009, 08:17 PM
ACTUALLY, Albert was taken #15.

Yes he was. Stupid numeric keypads.

Drunker Hillbilly
01-26-2009, 07:13 PM
They are going to pick a QB with the #3 pick because they are going to hireHaley as the HC and he has developed QBs for years.

Nel Toille
01-26-2009, 07:45 PM
If we pick a QB at 3 then I'd rather take Sanchez over Stafford. Not caring much about USC or Georgia, I haven't seen either play this year but I've watched tape of both and Stafford looks pretty average, as does Sanchez, however, Mark looks more like an NFL quarterback than Stafford. Everything from his mechanics and footwork to his release. It all resembles a starting NFL QB. I don't see those things in Stafford. I also notice that Sanchez usually hits his guy in stride when he throws the long ball. I wish I could find more than just big-play highlights of these guys and see them actually throw into tight coverage. It seems like every highlight, the WR is wide open.

hometeam
01-26-2009, 08:32 PM
They are going to pick a QB with the #3 pick because they are going to hireHaley as the HC and he has developed QBs for years.

we have a QB he can develop.

greg3564
01-26-2009, 11:17 PM
They are not going to waste a first round pick on QB. Why draft a big name QB and play him behind a line that will let him get destroyed? While we have a new GM and a new coach coming, we are not going to be serious playoff contenders next season. It would be nice, but it just isn't going to happen. Pioli knows this and he will build up the offensive line and defense. After those needs are addressed, if need be, they will look to a QB in the 2010 season. I think Pioli can get us to playoff contention by 2010. But this team has a ton of glaring problems that have to be fixed and it's going to take at least one season to do so. And in all liklihood, the offense and defense may have to learn a new scheme too. So they'll wait another season to see what Thigpen can do and how the offensive line comes along. The QB class will much stronger in next year's draft than it is now.

rodu
01-26-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't follow college football, but I want a replacement for Jared Allen with our first pick

hometeam
01-26-2009, 11:30 PM
There is no replacement for Jared Allen. *sniffle*

Bike
01-26-2009, 11:37 PM
I don't follow college football, but I want a replacement for Jared Allen with our first pick
Wrong draft.

rodu
01-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Wrong draft.

my point was, we still have not replaced him, a year later

greg3564
01-27-2009, 12:21 AM
my point was, we still have not replaced him, a year later

I guy like Allen doesn't come along very often. I think trading him away will go down as Carl Peterson's worst decision as a GM in the history of the NFL.

Coach
01-27-2009, 12:40 AM
We picked Albert 12th, not 17th. But it doesn't matter where we selected someone - what matters is where the can play best in the future, not where you picked them in the draft.

Albert doesn't look that great as a tackle. He'd be an exceptional guard. If we reached for him, that's in the past. What matters is 2009 and beyond.

I thought Albert looked pretty good. Do you have any footage of him looking poorly as you continually claim?

They are going to pick a QB with the #3 pick because they are going to hire Haley as the HC and he has developed QBs for years.

Isn't Thigpen a QB? Can't he develop him?

texaschief
01-27-2009, 01:25 AM
I guy like Allen doesn't come along very often. I think trading him away will go down as Carl Peterson's worst decision as a GM in the history of the NFL.

Really? Trading away a guy who was one mess up away from a one year suspension, who didn't want to be here, who turned down a contract extension that protected the franchise for a potential franchise LT (Albert), another potentially great TE (Cottam) and Jamaal Charles will go down as the worst decision in history? You can't be serious. Allen played two more games in 2008 than he did in 2007 and had ten less tkls, 14 less solo tkls 1 less sack and seven less batted balls.

The Chiefs sold high on Allen for a team without ANY young offensive line talent. Trading Allen allowed the team the flexibility to draft the best available talent in Dorsey at #5 without having to reach for an OT unworthy of that pick. The Chiefs can take a DE in free agency or the draft this season to fill that hole. Jared Allen was essentially worth two wins. This team still sucked with him on it... they just sucked at LT instead of DE.

Trading a player who didn't want to be here and who wasn't going to sign a new contract while his value was maximized was HARDLY the worst decision ever made by a GM. I'm sure Matt Millen's decision to take three WRs in the top 10 is up there. As is the decision to draft Ryan Leaf.

Get a clue

Guru
01-27-2009, 01:25 AM
Sanchez would be a big mistake. JMHO

texaschief
01-27-2009, 01:27 AM
Sanchez would be a big mistake. JMHO

:lol: ya think?

I saw a mock that had us taking him in the 2nd. If that happened, I'd be ok with it. But there's no way in hell he's worth the #3 pick... I don't think Stafford is either for that matter.

Guru
01-27-2009, 01:44 AM
There isn't a QB in the draft worth a top 10 pick really.

texaschief
01-27-2009, 01:47 AM
There isn't a QB in the draft worth a top 10 pick really.

100% agree

jap1
01-27-2009, 01:49 AM
Really? Trading away a guy who was one mess up away from a one year suspension, who didn't want to be here, who turned down a contract extension that protected the franchise for a potential franchise LT (Albert), another potentially great TE (Cottam) and Jamaal Charles will go down as the worst decision in history? You can't be serious. Allen played two more games in 2008 than he did in 2007 and had ten less tkls, 14 less solo tkls 1 less sack and seven less batted balls.

Im glad someone else remembers that about Allen. Granted though, he may not have wanted out so bad if CP had kept his mouth shut about JA's off-field issues. Its funny because some of the people that think it was idiotic to trade Allen are the same people that want to just cut LJ and dont even want to trade him.

Personally, I think driving drunk is a much worse crime than disrespecting someone in public (spitting a drink in someone's face or pushing someone). Then again, Im biased. Im a surgeon, so I have to see the after effects of driving drunk ... you know innocent bystanders becoming paralyzed, killed, etc.

Those people who want JA back, but want LJ gone on the grounds he is a bad role model should really think twice about what they are saying to their own kids.

greg3564
01-27-2009, 01:51 AM

The Chiefs sold high on Allen for a team without ANY young offensive line talent. Trading Allen allowed the team the flexibility to draft the best available talent in Dorsey at #5 without having to reach for an OT unworthy of that pick. The Chiefs can take a DE in free agency or the draft this season to fill that hole. Jared Allen was essentially worth two wins. This team still sucked with him on it... they just sucked at LT instead of DE.

Trading a player who didn't want to be here and who wasn't going to sign a new contract while his value was maximized was HARDLY the worst decision ever made by a GM. I'm sure Matt Millen's decision to take three WRs in the top 10 is up there. As is the decision to draft Ryan Leaf.

Get a clue

Ah yes, there's the usual "he was one mess up away" excuse. Hasn't done anything illegal since then. His numbers were down slightly this season, but still light years better than anything the Chiefs could muster up, as a team. Yeah, he didn't want to be here. And that is because Carl Peterson let his ego get in the way of common sense and then we franchised him. Great idea that was. So far Albert hasn't shown much. Not the hyped up first year player he was supposed to be. Cottam, no flashes of greatness there either. Charles has the potential, but then everyone seems to want to discount him. So in hindsight, yes it was one of the worst decisions made by a GM in my opinion. Allen also brought leadership and fire to the game. Something we're still missing on defense. Please, refrain from the "get a clue" remarks, as if you're some kind of football guru.

texaschief
01-27-2009, 01:55 AM
Im glad someone else remembers that about Allen. Granted though, he may not have wanted out so bad if CP had kept his mouth shut about JA's off-field issues. Its funny because some of the people that think it was idiotic to trade Allen are the same people that want to just cut LJ and dont even want to trade him.

Personally, I think driving drunk is a much worse crime than disrespecting someone in public (spitting a drink in someone's face or pushing someone). Then again, Im biased. Im a surgeon, so I have to see the after effects of driving drunk ... you know innocent bystanders becoming paralyzed, killed, etc.

Those people who want JA back, but want LJ gone on the grounds he is a bad role model should really think twice about what they are saying to their own kids.

While there's no way i could argue your point, I'd be hypocritical if I didn't say I was happy to see the Longhorns only suspend Auggie instead of firing him. There's something to be said for making mistakes and learning from them. The fact that Allen repeatedly drove drunk is unacceptable. You'd have to be completely naive to think the two times he got caught were the only times he did it.

I'm happy to see he cleaned himself up.

texaschief
01-27-2009, 02:03 AM
Ah yes, there's the usual "he was one mess up away" excuse. Hasn't done anything illegal since then. His numbers were down slightly this season, but still light years better than anything the Chiefs could muster up, as a team. Yeah, he didn't want to be here. And that is because Carl Peterson let his ego get in the way of common sense and then we franchised him. Great idea that was. So far Albert hasn't shown much. Not the hyped up first year player he was supposed to be. Cottam, no flashes of greatness there either. Charles has the potential, but then everyone seems to want to discount him. So in hindsight, yes it was one of the worst decisions made by a GM in my opinion. Allen also brought leadership and fire to the game. Something we're still missing on defense. Please, refrain from the "get a clue" remarks, as if you're some kind of football guru.

That one comment alone discredits anything you could possibly say from this point on. He "hasn't shown much?!!" You've got to be sh!tting me. I don't understand why you think Allen can't be replaced. Just because he wasn't replaced the same year he was traded doesn't mean he can't be replaced. Again, the team was awful WITH him and his career year was essentially good enough for two more wins. There are still many more problems with this team other than DE. To think this team would've been better off without Albert in particular is just a biased view.

You have to give up value to get value. He didn't want to be here and the Chiefs got good value for him... ESPECIALLY if Albert stays at LT throughout his career.

theaxeeffect4311
01-27-2009, 06:32 AM
That one comment alone discredits anything you could possibly say from this point on. He "hasn't shown much?!!" You've got to be sh!tting me. I don't understand why you think Allen can't be replaced. Just because he wasn't replaced the same year he was traded doesn't mean he can't be replaced. Again, the team was awful WITH him and his career year was essentially good enough for two more wins. There are still many more problems with this team other than DE. To think this team would've been better off without Albert in particular is just a biased view.

You have to give up value to get value. He didn't want to be here and the Chiefs got good value for him... ESPECIALLY if Albert stays at LT throughout his career.

To add to the Allen discussion, it has been a while, but I remember seeing that most of his sacks did not come when the game was on the line. As much as I love Jared Allen (who isn't a Vikings fan now), he was not a game changer. He could never get the sack to end the winning drive. Now playing with two of the best DTs in the game right now and he does not produce as much as he did with the Chiefs. As of right now, it looks like the Chiefs got the better part of that deal. I'll give Allen the benefit of the doubt just because he was with a new defense. We'll see how Allen does next season then compare if we made the right choice.

But Tex is right. There is no way we could have replaced Allen in one season. Chris Long, the top DE prospect from last draft, only got 4 sacks this season.

theaxeeffect4311
01-27-2009, 06:33 AM

Who has Haley developed?

kcmostwanted
01-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Who has Haley developed?

What do you mean who has Haley developed??? He developed Matt Lienart into a Hollywood star...Heard he was going to be in Glitter2 w/ Paris Hilton!! J/K..

But back to the Thread.. Who ever thinks B. Albert is a bust is smoking crack... I guess some of you forget that he played Guard in college, and the college to Pro transition isn't as easy as everyone thinks... Give the Kid a few more years to develop and adjust to the speed of the NFL pass rushers... A few more years of seasoning/getting stronger/ learning more techniques, and Albert is going to be a solid LT or RT for a very long time in this league... His athleticism for a 6'5" 300+ lbs guy is undeniable.

My top two choices for that #3 spot would still be:
-Andre Smith
-Aaron Curry
-M. Oher
-Jason Smith
**Ultimately any of the top 3 tackles**

At the end of the day....
With the 3rd pick in the 2009 NFL draft the Kansas City Chiefs select:
Aaron Curry OLB from Wake Forest
(unless if A. Smith is still available)

-Why you ask?? because this is a deep draft for O-line men and we could possibly get a Solid RT w/ our 2nd Round pick.

Drunker Hillbilly
01-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Who has Haley developed?
I guess I should'nt have put it that way. He has been a WR coach most of his career but has been an integral part of helping develope QB's in the past is what Bill Parcells said. He has been with Parcells on two different stints and is friends with Scott Pioli. As for everyone saying Thigpen can be developed, I disagree. He is another career back up in this league.

Bike
01-27-2009, 02:10 PM
I guess I should'nt have put it that way. He has been a WR coach most of his career but has been an integral part of helping develope QB's in the past is what Bill Parcells said. He has been with Parcells on two different stints and is friends with Scott Pioli. As for everyone saying Thigpen can be developed, I disagree. He is another career back up in this league.
I don't know about that. Tyler was 13th in the league in TD's (18), which puts him ahead of starters such as Roethlensburger, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Russell, Kerry Collins, and others. And only one behind Pennington. With the OL and sh!t D he had this year, I'd say not only is he an nfl starter, but will soon be a star in this league for years to come...

Nel Toille
01-27-2009, 02:35 PM
How does Mel Kiper still have a job? Has he ever been able to come close to predicting the top 5?

theaxeeffect4311
01-27-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't know about that. Tyler was 13th in the league in TD's (18), which puts him ahead of starters such as Roethlensburger, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Russell, Kerry Collins, and others. And only one behind Pennington. With the OL and sh!t D he had this year, I'd say not only is he an nfl starter, but will soon be a star in this league for years to come...

Those are some good facts. You add in that Thigpen did not start as QB until week 8 (he did start in week 3 against ATL) which makes me think that if the Chiefs can give him an O-line that will provide him with time, a rushing game that will take some pressure off him, Thigpen may actually have some potential as a NFL starter. Sure he made mistakes and did not have a great completion percentage, but it was basically his rookie season. If he goes through the off-season and training camp with Gailey working on the offense, Thigpen could emerge as our guy. I wonder what Pioli thinks of Thigpen.

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Those are some good facts. You add in that Thigpen did not start as QB until week 8 (he did start in week 3 against ATL) which makes me think that if the Chiefs can give him an O-line that will provide him with time, a rushing game that will take some pressure off him, Thigpen may actually have some potential as a NFL starter. Sure he made mistakes and did not have a great completion percentage, but it was basically his rookie season. If he goes through the off-season and training camp with Gailey working on the offense, Thigpen could emerge as our guy. I wonder what Pioli thinks of Thigpen.

The fact that we're keeping Gailey at least as OC tells you quite a bit. I'd be shocked if Thigpen weren't our opening day starter.

Bike
01-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Major neglection on my part. The fact that Thig only started 10 games really validates my reasoning that he can, and will be the starter for us next year and who knows after that...:bananen_smilies046:

greg3564
01-27-2009, 05:01 PM
The fact that we're keeping Gailey at least as OC tells you quite a bit. I'd be shocked if Thigpen weren't our opening day starter.

The team hasn't announced that Gailey is staying. All they did was refuse to let him interview for the Bucs OC. They did the same thing to Gunther and he ended up leaving. I would honestly be surprised if Gailey is retained. I suspect he and every other coach from the Peterson/Edwards era will be gone real soon.

N TX Dave
01-27-2009, 07:00 PM

No I think the worst trade in the history of the NFL belongs to the Vikings for Walker trade.

:sign0153:

hardcorechiefsfan
01-27-2009, 07:16 PM
I would be very surprised if Scott Pioli took a QB that high. History would have him taking a lineman.

100% agree
We need a QB. If not through the draft than through going after Cassel if possible, but I would bet that New England would do whatever they could to keep him for when Brady is finished.

texaschief
01-27-2009, 09:06 PM
How about trading for Tom Brady? He's almost 6 years older than Cassell. With his age and knee injury, he could be a cheaper option than Cassell. He'd provide the bridge needed to draft a QBOTF and the leadership and example needed for grooming a young QB.

Just a thought.

Nel Toille
01-27-2009, 09:44 PM
How about trading for Tom Brady? He's almost 6 years older than Cassell. With his age and knee injury, he could be a cheaper option than Cassell. He'd provide the bridge needed to draft a QBOTF and the leadership and example needed for grooming a young QB.

Just a thought.
NE already said that he will be the starter once he's healthy so I don't see how he'd be cheaper than Cassel. Their team did jack squat even with Cassel playing good and it just proved that Brady was the heartbeat of the team, plus he gives NE the hometown discount so I really don't think he would want to leave. We'd have to give up a boatload of money to lure him away from his home. Plus, he's a prettyboy who attracts unwanted attention with his celebrity lifestyle. We're not about that in KC; you hear me LJ? I'd rather have a hardnosed guy like Rothlesberger or even Thigpen.

tornadospotter
01-27-2009, 09:55 PM
We do not need Cassel.

theaxeeffect4311
01-28-2009, 03:28 AM
NE already said that he will be the starter once he's healthy so I don't see how he'd be cheaper than Cassel. Their team did jack squat even with Cassel playing good and it just proved that Brady was the heartbeat of the team, plus he gives NE the hometown discount so I really don't think he would want to leave. We'd have to give up a boatload of money to lure him away from his home. Plus, he's a prettyboy who attracts unwanted attention with his celebrity lifestyle. We're not about that in KC; you hear me LJ? I'd rather have a hardnosed guy like Rothlesberger or even Thigpen.

But it is not a crazy idea. If we traded away 2010 picks for Brady (would cost us more picks, but its TOM BRADY), used this season's picks for OT at 3 and other linemen in the draft, then it is a viable option. Plus, there was a lot of talk about Tom being traded instead Cassel before the Patriots were out of the playoffs.

But yeah, not going to happen. Cassel does good for the Patriots. But Tom Brady is a Hall of Fame QB. You go with the guy who proved he can win the big one.

texaschief
01-29-2009, 03:11 AM
I've decided if we don't go LT at #3, then Jenkins would be my pick. I know Flowers did a good job last season, but Jenkins is a lock-down CB. The Chiefs don't have that right now and other than LT, no other player would be worth that #3 spot right now, IMO. I know a lot of people think we're set at CB right now with Leggett and Carr opposite Flowers. But, a Jenkins/Flowers combo looks a lot better than a Flowers/Carr or Leggett combo.

My first choice would still be LT to bolster the O-line, but I've decided I'd be ok with a franchise, lock-down CB at that #3 spot and be finished with the CB position for the next decade.