PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs will retain Chan Gailey

Seek
01-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Adam Schefter reported that the Chiefs denied Tampa Bay authorization to talk to Chan Gailey.

It is apparent that they Chiefs do not want to let go of his services.

Now for some speculation. Some think the next HC is already named, and is confortable with Chan as his OC. The next speculation step is keeping Chan as interim HC for a year until the ideal HC is availale, or Chan could be that dark horse.

There is also a friend of a friend of a friend rumor that the Chiefs are going to retain Herm as lead scout. Herm himself has been quoted as saying he was interested in getting into the business side of football. Given that, I would still think he would be at the Senior Bowl.

jmlamerson
01-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Adam Schefter reported that the Chiefs denied Tampa Bay authorization to talk to Chan Gailey.

It is apparent that they Chiefs do not want to let go of his services.

Now for some speculation. Some think the next HC is already named, and is confortable with Chan as his OC. The next speculation step is keeping Chan as interim HC for a year until the ideal HC is availale, or Chan could be that dark horse.

There is also a friend of a friend of a friend rumor that the Chiefs are going to retain Herm as lead scout. Herm himself has been quoted as saying he was interested in getting into the business side of football. Given that, I would still think he would be at the Senior Bowl.

Good for Chan. A nice guy and good OC. I don't see Gailey as a long term coaching solution, but after seeing how the offense overachieved for him in 2008, I'm more than OK with his being our HC in 2009.

Also, it probably means we stick with Thigpen for 2009, and that we don't draft a QBOTF in this draft.

chiefnut
01-23-2009, 10:19 AM
at this point dumping herm, giving chan the reigns for as year doesn't sound bad

dbolan
01-23-2009, 10:27 AM
at this point dumping herm, giving chan the reigns for as year doesn't sound bad

Tell me where Chan has been a successful HC? He is another Norv Turner. Great OC, not so good HC.

We do not need that.

prough91
01-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Leave Chan where he's at.

wildcat
01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
This might cause Cowher rumors to resurface. When we first hired Gailey there was a lot of talk about how it will make it easier to make a pitch to Cowher in 09 if Herm faltered in 08.

Gailey was a OC under Cowher and they are supposed to be close. Why would we decide to retain Gailey before we have even announced what we are doing with a HC situation?

prough91
01-23-2009, 11:06 AM
What? Because I liked his inventiveness as an OC. Also, Cowher, who I believe to be a man of his word, has said many times that he isn't doing anything until after the '09 season.

wildcat
01-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Also, Cowher, who I believe to be a man of his word, has said many times that he isn't doing anything until after the '09 season.

I agree that it is highly unlikely, but people change their minds about things all the time. I am sure he meant what he said when he said it.

I do think hanging on to Gailey probably means we are going to stick with Thigpen though. Gailey is responsible for making Thigpen a respectable QB prospect.

prough91
01-23-2009, 11:16 AM
I do think hanging on to Gailey probably means we are going to stick with Thigpen though. Gailey is responsible for making Thigpen a respectable QB prospect.

I like Thigpen. I think they should give him one more season to see what he can do. It will give Gailey a whole offseason to build around his talents.

KCCAT21
01-23-2009, 11:45 AM
I would love to see Cowher change his mind, I just don't think it will happen. I think it will be Haley, but that is just my gut feeling.

Also don't think there is anyway Herm stays on for scouting. I could be way wrong though, because you would think he would be wanting to know something soon so he could figure out what he is going to be doing in the future.

hometeam
01-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I liked what he did with the offense this year considering what he had to work with. Getting twoards the end of the year they where doing well

yashi
01-23-2009, 12:10 PM
I was really impressed with Chan's ability and willingness to adapt. He saw the OL wasn't good enough to handle all the Singleback and I Formations and made a radical adjustment that not many coordinators would be willing to try in the NFL, the Spread offense.

I'd love for him to stay on as OC.

MoJ
01-23-2009, 12:20 PM
The Herm scouting scenario is plausible. If you've decided to remove him from the HC position but still have to pay him another year than you might as well have him doing something value-added.

chiefnut
01-23-2009, 01:36 PM
i didn't say he was the answer for us as head coach, only that he would be an improvement over herm, and would only be an interim coach.

leaves
01-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Gailey definately fits what we have now the best. He may not be the best for the future (simple run slashes and inventive passing plays) but with our CURRENT best qb (thig), wr (bowe or TG), and speedy rb's, I think Chan can help them the most. Our offense could score this past season, its the defense that struggled most.

yashi
01-23-2009, 04:10 PM
He was not that bad when he was coach of the Cowboys in the 90's. In fact I'd say he got the short side of the stick since that was when Jerry Jones was at the peak of his control freak phase. 18-14 is not a bad career record for a coach.. I'm surprised he didn't get more opportunities after that.

leaves
01-23-2009, 04:44 PM
ha, peak of the jerry jones control-freak phase.. 1996-2013

yashi
01-23-2009, 04:59 PM
ha, peak of the jerry jones control-freak phase.. 1996-2013
well... because Wade Phillips is still coach it seems like he has loosened up a bit. Not saying he isn't still a control freak by any means though.

leaves
01-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Idk, I think he likes Phillips cuz JJones can do whatever JJones wants to do. Late for meetings, undoes punishments assigned by Wade, and his n Irvin's new reality show series.. 2-14 but I'm glad it's not Dallas.

greg3564
01-23-2009, 10:43 PM
No one has said Gailey is being retained for another season. Alll I've read is that the Chiefs refused to let him interview with the Bucs. I think people are reading too much into that. In my opinion the Chiefs are waiting to see if their new Head Coach wants Gailey and whether or not they can get compensation or picks for Gailey(doubtful). I don't think Pioli is interested in keeping any facet of the Herm Edwards/Carl Peterson era around for very long.

I H8 Every Team But KC
01-23-2009, 10:46 PM

If they make Chan the head coach I will not watch my Chiefs next year...

Bike
01-23-2009, 10:57 PM
I will watch my Chiefs EVERY year!! No matter the circumstances surrounding their management.
I love the Chiefs!!!!!!!!!

Eydugstr
01-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Keep in mind they did the same thing with Gunther, and he wound up leaving anyway. If you are going to clean house, CLEAN HOUSE. After a 2-14 season, nobody's job should be safe!!

OTR Chiefs fan
01-23-2009, 11:26 PM

I don't think you have to worry about Chan being the next HC. If he's kept on it will be in a OC role, which I think they liked the way he used Thigpen. (and so did I) I hope the rumors are true about Shannahan, he would be the perfect choice for this young team, plus he knows the AFC West. :D

KristofLaw
01-24-2009, 12:10 AM
:sign0103: Come on now, I've said things like that... let's not get carried away.:D

Coach
01-24-2009, 01:57 AM

So long. Either you are a Chiefs fan or you're not.

okikcfan
01-24-2009, 02:05 AM

Amen to that Coach!!!:yahoo:

I H8 Every Team But KC
01-24-2009, 07:34 AM

I am a chiefs fan thanks....I don't need anyone questioning that. I was just making a point that I don't want Chan for HC.

I'm beginning to think this isn't the forum I need to be in. I didn't join for people to pick a fight every other post. I appreciate the people I did get to talk to but I'm out I think.

Good luck to the Chiefs next year & I hope you all enjoy watching!

chiefnut
01-24-2009, 09:15 AM
I am a chiefs fan thanks....I don't need anyone questioning that. I was just making a point that I don't want Chan for HC.

I'm beginning to think this isn't the forum I need to be in. I didn't join for people to pick a fight every other post. I appreciate the people I did get to talk to but I'm out I think.

Good luck to the Chiefs next year & I hope you all enjoy watching!

sorry to here this, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but like very CHIEFS forum i have seen, most posters are avid if not down right fanatical, [ i include myself of course]. so when someones post hits a nerve ie..."i'll never watch my CHIEFS again" it's going to evoke a knee jerk response. don't take it personally as i am sure you would not in fact give up on a team you have loved for so long.

m0ef0e
01-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Chan made the playoffs both years that he coached the cowgirls.

Tony G may be more inclined to stay if Chan is named HC or at least retained as OC.

Ml Burton
01-24-2009, 02:12 PM

Why would you even do that? Anything is better than the deer in the headlights we had last year. I'm sorry but If we have one guy to be the head coach of our franchise I would prefer someone passionate enough to atleast look like they cared to win the game. Sorry, but I've never even seen him smile on a sunday afternoon and it bothers me.