PDA

View Full Version : Don't Hate Herm

Codac
01-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Everyone continues to insist on downing Herm and calling him a horrible coach. He was doing what he could with what he had. Which, i'm not sure if you noticed, is close to nothing.

He and Peterson had an pretty darn good Draft last year. You guys want to win, but that isn't gonna happen for another year or so. Its called a "Rebuilding" stage for a reason. Its long and not very fun.

His first year as HC he had all of Dick Vermeil's left overs. He didn't even get to start his process until his second season.

He helped bring one of the best Draft classes in last year. Give him some credit. He is very passionate about the team, the game, his players. Give him some credit.

greg3564
01-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Everyone continues to insist on downing Herm and calling him a horrible coach. He was doing what he could with what he had. Which, i'm not sure if you noticed, is close to nothing.

He and Peterson had an pretty darn good Draft last year. You guys want to win, but that isn't gonna happen for another year or so. Its called a "Rebuilding" stage for a reason. Its long and not very fun.

His first year as HC he had all of Dick Vermeil's left overs. He didn't even get to start his process until his second season.

He helped bring one of the best Draft classes in last year. Give him some credit. He is very passionate about the team, the game, his players. Give him some credit.

The only credit he has is a losing record with two teams over 8 years. Sorry, while Herm may be an okay talent scout, he's a terrible head coach.

Codac
01-23-2009, 03:40 PM
I agree. I don't think he is a very good HC. But he still deserves credit for putting a, what I believe is a good team together so far. I just don't get why he is getting mauled for losing with a very very young and inexperienced team. Everyone knew thats what was gonna happen when he said he was gonna rebuild.

Vandelay
01-23-2009, 04:02 PM
I think Herm is a great guy, someone I wish was my next door neighbor. But he is a terrible HC. The chiefs lost so many of those games last year because of bad coaching, and clock management. Yes, they were a young team, but an average coach would have won at least 5 games last year. I wish it would have worked out for him, but it is time for the Chiefs to find a new HC.

OPLookn
01-23-2009, 04:06 PM
I will agree with that Herm isn't a good coach. While he was/is rebuilding there were three or four games in which we had a shot or were ahead at half. Then when we came out it seemed like we went conservative or were trying to bleed two quarters. We went from trying to win to trying not to lose. That's a head coaching decision and if you aren't willing to man up and say hey, this is my fault instead of "I don't know why we can't win" then you need to be gone. Admit that you would be better served being in a different role.

I'd also add that it's GREAT that we've got a lot of great new talent but for cry eye we were 30 million under the cap and no one thought hey...we can bring in some good vet's to not only shore up spots but mentor these great new prospects. IMHO it's time for Herm to either change positions or leave the Chiefs altogether.

jmlamerson
01-23-2009, 04:10 PM

No. Herm's drafting abilities are vastly overrated. His gametime coaching is the worst in the league. He's been nothing but a disaster for the Chiefs.

Rebuilding a team isn't the process of cleaning out all your talented players, popping in a bunch of rookies, and hoping for the best. According to you, Herm's had two years to put his own team together. And his own team stinks.

His QBOTF was brittle and never won a game.

He helped get LJ that asinine contract extension.

He pushed for FAs like Demorrio Williams, Napo Harris, Donnie Edwards, McIntosh, Devard Darling and every other free agent that's busted out the past two years.

He was a large part of our trading one of the best DEs in the league.

He saddled our defense with a terrible Cover 2 defense, and cut/traded worthwhile personnel (K. Mitchell, J. Wilkerson, JA, etc.) that he didn't think fit.

He put together a defense that was worst all time in the NFL last season in sacks, and one of the worst in the league in every category.

He chose Mike Solari to be his OC.

Of all of his drafts, only Albert, Carr, Flowers, Pollard, and Bowe (who he didn't want) look like NFL starters right now.

Herm Edwards was the worst thing to ever happen to the Kansas City Chiefs.

drstandley31
01-23-2009, 04:18 PM

Hey, this guy's record over the past 2 years is 6 - 26. That says it all. I didn't expect him to make the playoffs, but did you watch that game against Cincinnati? Did you watch them blow a 10 point lead with 72 seconds left to SD. Did you watch them roll over to Oakland at home. Did you see Herm totally blow the last 2 minutes before half time agianst the Jets by not being able to decide what he wants to do. Worst DL in NFL History! Set every misserable record known to football. NO WAY MAN. Now we're screwed. There isn't a decent DE in the draft, and getting a good FA now will eat up that cap money. So many bad decisions. And he counts victories by close losses. Wow, he had a good draft, big deal. You don't even know that most of these guys would have made it on other teams. They had no competition in KC. All we've got is a good secondary and a good WR. We've got more holes than a fishing net and Herm and Carl can take most of the blame. No, not giving him any slack. It was a failed experiment.

leoness8
01-23-2009, 04:19 PM
This is tough topic...A coach can only do so much. Its up to the players to get the job done on the field. It shouldnt mainly be because of the coaches. But your right about him always going conservative late in the game which just didnt work with the RB's we had this past season. He should have just kept the ball in the young mans hands and let him throw it around in his comfortable spread offence. All in all...I wouldnt be surprised to see Herm back next year only because as you can all see, Pioli is a man that isnt quick on making a decision because in the end he wants to make the right choice unlike some GM's when they come in...they just fire the coach right away without even getting to the know guy, just because the whole city wants the coach to get fired doesnt mean it is always the right move.

okikcfan
01-23-2009, 04:42 PM

Yes he and Carl had a Great draft but the players are only as good as there coaches, and coaches dont tell the local press "I've done all I can do it's now up to the players" He's not a HC, not by any standard.......

leaves
01-23-2009, 04:48 PM
the credit I can give Herm is that he's a good def. strategist. But when you have Herm's old school defense with Gun's modern hooligan tricks it doesn't work well.

KCCAT21
01-23-2009, 05:00 PM
I don't hate Herm, I just don't want him as our coach. But I would like to knwo who our coach is going to be, maybe sooner rather than later. But it has made for interesting reading.

jmlamerson
01-23-2009, 05:10 PM
I don't hate Herm, I just don't want him as our coach. But I would like to knwo who our coach is going to be, maybe sooner rather than later. But it has made for interesting reading.

Ask and receive.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HA

Seek
01-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Herm is the HC of record for the Chiefs worste season in Chiefs History and he is also on record for the second worste.

I am glad the Fer is Fing gone. I am happy.

The so called best draft class, didn't show up in real game time. It was pure disapointment. Fact of the matter, everyone Herm has drafted has been a disapointment except for the corners. Every Free agent he brought in was crap.

This is a glorious day.

Bike
01-23-2009, 05:30 PM
New GM, New HC, New DC. This off-season is almost as exciting as the regular season!! Now we got 2 major coaching hires to make and can't wait to see who Pioli brings in. Just not sure why he kept Herm hanging on a thread these past couple weeks....

hometeam
01-23-2009, 05:32 PM
I will say it once, I will say it again.

Dont make excuses for the guy. NO MATTER WHAT HAND YOU ARE DEALT YOU MUST WIN MORE THAN 2 GAMES.

OPLookn
01-23-2009, 05:34 PM
New GM, New HC, New DC. This off-season is almost as exciting as the regular season!! Now we got 2 major coaching hires to make and can't wait to see who Pioli brings in. Just not sure why he kept Herm hanging on a thread these past couple weeks....

The only reason to me that he kept Herm this long is because he didn't want to appear biased and just come in and clear everyone out. That to me signals that he just wants to clean house and not even worry about if there's any talent there. We all knew for the most part there wasn't or else we wouldn't have been 6-26 over the past two years. All I know is that most people aren't ready to :mob: Pioli anymore. As for me it's time to head to the bar for a truely happy hour.:toast2: :drunkhb:

KristofLaw
01-23-2009, 07:03 PM

Chalk it up as a learning experience, coach Edwards plan's just didn't work out as he or those in the organization, including the players brought in had intended.

Coach
01-23-2009, 07:23 PM
You can rebuild a team without having every player be a 1st or 2nd year player. That was his biggest mistake. If Herm and Carl would have resigned Jared Allen and signed a LT in free agency last year, this team would have had a drastically different season.

He replaced every nut and bolt on the car, but the car only needed then engine overhauled.

Chief Tyler
01-23-2009, 07:46 PM
You can rebuild a team without having every player be a 1st or 2nd year player. That was his biggest mistake. If Herm and Carl would have resigned Jared Allen and signed a LT in free agency last year, this team would have had a drastically different season.

He replaced every nut and bolt on the car, but the car only needed then engine overhauled.

To continue with your comparison, he replaced the engine too, downgrading from a V6 to a 4 banger :P. The pass rush is like a lawnmower on a quartermile dragstrip.

YZILLA
01-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Mostly his hands were tied by pedersen so I cant totally blame him for the downfall of the chiefs !

Coach
01-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Mostly his hands were tied by pedersen so I cant totally blame him for the downfall of the chiefs !

Excellent point. Those failures fall more on Carl's back than Herm's.

theorangelion
01-23-2009, 07:56 PM

That is probably true but great leaders find a way to work around inept bosses.

Seek
01-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Excellent point. Those failures fall more on Carl's back than Herm's.

I refuse to believe that Carl Peterson had 100% input in the playerd signed and drafted since Herm took over as HC. From what I understood, the coaches ranked players they wanted and Carl went after them if they fit in his cap. The failures of Herms inability to sign a free agent worth playing, is just as much Herms fault as any.

DV turned a dead offense around in a half year. Herm failed in the draft and Free agency and people are giving him a scapegoat.

jmlamerson
01-23-2009, 09:16 PM
I refuse to believe that Carl Peterson had 100% input in the playerd signed and drafted since Herm took over as HC. From what I understood, the coaches ranked players they wanted and Carl went after them if they fit in his cap. The failures of Herms inability to sign a free agent worth playing, is just as much Herms fault as any.

DV turned a dead offense around in a half year. Herm failed in the draft and Free agency and people are giving him a scapegoat.

Amen. I would love for one of Herm's apologists to name one player he wanted and didn't get, or conversely one he wanted to get rid of and we didn't.

The fact is, this was Herm's team. And it was the worst in Chiefs history.

prough91
01-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Amen. I would love for one of Herm's apologists to name one player he wanted and didn't get, or conversely one he wanted to get rid of and we didn't.

The fact is, this was Herm's team. And it was the worst in Chiefs history.

How could anyone know that? As far as I know, no one here was in on any of their meetings.

jmlamerson
01-23-2009, 10:30 PM
How could anyone know that? As far as I know, no one here was in on any of their meetings.

Yeah. Because everything we know points to fact that Herm got every player and personnel he wanted. People are trying to lay off Herm's obvious inadequacies as a talent evaluator on CP. When every bit of evidence we have leads to the conlcusion that this 2-14 team was all Herm Edwards.

Bike
01-23-2009, 10:36 PM
That is probably true but great leaders find a way to work around inept bosses.
Exactly. That was my complaint on how Gunny dealt with Herm concerning the cover-2...

prough91
01-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Yeah. Because everything we know points to fact that Herm got every player and personnel he wanted. People are trying to lay off Herm's obvious inadequacies as a talent evaluator on CP. When every bit of evidence we have leads to the conlcusion that this 2-14 team was all Herm Edwards.

How so?

Bike
01-23-2009, 11:24 PM
This was Herms' team. It was well known that he went around CP numerous times to Hunt concerning personnel..

KristofLaw
01-24-2009, 12:05 AM
It's also fairly well known that our team has been bungled up through our over-priced salaries of players which they may or may not have deserved, add to that the revolving door to the medics office... just saying, sometimes s*!t happens.

chief31
01-24-2009, 02:25 AM

I am a big fan of Herm, now that he is no longer The Chiefs' head coach.

I always did like Herms personality. I just don't like his coaching ability.

I sincerely wish him well from now, on.

This is tough topic...A coach can only do so much. Its up to the players to get the job done on the field.

A coach can only do so much. And that 'so much' is more than 6-26.

Spot-on!

Either way you want to look at it.

If Peterson is to blame for what players were here, then Herm gets no credit for the draft classes.

If Herm did the drafting, then it was his team.

Actually, most of were in on some meetings, and got a feel for how things worked, during Hard Knocks.

Herm looked to be quite confident in his decisions, with Peterson doing no more than offering advice. From that, I got the impression that Herm was definitely calling most of the shots.

chiefnut
01-24-2009, 09:30 AM
i am ecstatic herm is gone, as for his drafting we don't really know how good it was yet. it is possible many of our rookie & 2nd year starters may not even be good enuf to start on many other teams. as for him being stuck with DV leftovers, they were good enuf to win 10 games w/DV, while herms newbies won 4 then jumped to 2 wins. there are only 12 players on the roster who have been here more than 2 years and that includes the injured reserve. no one rebuilds like that. he stuck his head in the sand as our O line fell apart until it became the worst in the league. his game play calling and clock management was legendary before he got here and now will certainly go down in history as the prime example of what not to do.

Seek
01-24-2009, 04:08 PM

I don't have to be in a meeting to know that James Reed and Ty Law were just people CP just happened to pick up.

Also from news reports a couples years ago, Herm didn't want Kawika Mitchell and opted to let him go. Instead they signed Nap Harris in which I distinctly remember Herm being very excited about.

hermhater
01-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Don't hate herm?

WTF kind of thread is this?

Chief4Ever&Ever
01-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Are you kidding me?? Don't hate Herm? He had a losing record for @ NY!! Who in their right mind would think he would win anywhere??? He should be coaching high school football!!

Bike
01-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Don't hate herm?

WTF kind of thread is this?
Not a good thread for Hermhater to be on!!:bananen_smilies046:

Bike
01-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Are you kidding me?? Don't hate Herm? He had a losing record for @ NY!! Who in their right mind would think he would win anywhere??? He should be coaching high school football!!
I hope he never coaches at my high school!!(ruskin-78)

drstandley31
01-25-2009, 11:45 AM
the credit I can give Herm is that he's a good def. strategist. But when you have Herm's old school defense with Gun's modern hooligan tricks it doesn't work well.
Herm, a good def. strategist??? How do you figure? He wants to run a defense that was invented by another guy, in another time. He can't get out of that mode, he can modify to the talent around him, he couldn't use Gun's talent because he didn't want that kind of attack, but yet he didn't get rid of Gun. Strategist? You've got to be kidding. The only threat we had was JA, and we let him go. Teams came into our games licking thier chops because they knew what we were going to do, and knew what we couldn't do. I never saw any strategy. BTW, worst Defense in KC history and worst DL in NFL history. Herm's good at what exactly? Facts are facts and records are records, and they both blow over the past 3 years.

greg3564
01-25-2009, 01:39 PM

He couldn't even coach high school football here in Texas. Texas HS football is better coached! Seriously, Herm's future in the pros isn't bright. Every facet of his team sucked. I honestly don't believe he'll ever be a head coach in the pros or college. Maybe he'll be a positions coach, but maybe after he realizes his future sucks, he retires.

KristofLaw
01-25-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't know if everything was Herm's fault... I have yet to hear any furious uproar over the medical staffing of the Chief's. Maybe if the player's were injuring themselves with their motorcycles I would have no reason to question them. Complete the job Mr P, bring in an adequate medical staff.

KristofLaw
01-25-2009, 07:21 PM
“The next guy will get a lot of credit,” Chiefs guard Brian Waters said Friday night, “but the truth is Herm Edwards built this football team.”

jmlamerson
01-25-2009, 07:26 PM
I don't know if everything was Herm's fault... I have yet to hear any furious uproar over the medical staffing of the Chief's. Maybe if the player's were injuring themselves with their motorcycles I would have no reason to question them. Complete the job Mr P, bring in an adequate medical staff.

Or maybe we just signed a bunch of fragile players and didn't condition them properly on the practice field.

jmlamerson
01-25-2009, 07:28 PM
“The next guy will get a lot of credit,” Chiefs guard Brian Waters said Friday night, “but the truth is Herm Edwards built this football team.”

Herm Edwards built nothing. Most of the players he brought in as FAs were disasters. And most of his draft picks will be out of the NFL in three years.

He was the worst thing to ever happen to the Chiefs.

KristofLaw
01-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Or maybe we just signed a bunch of fragile players and didn't condition them properly on the practice field.
You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. Look he's gone so this cannot be settled. You think his record stands for itself, and I give you props for that. I am not suggesting he should still be here only that not everything is black and white/ clear as crystal. So the haters can continue hating, I however will continue to wish that things might have worked a little more in Herm's favour.

jmlamerson
01-25-2009, 11:40 PM
You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. Look he's gone so this cannot be settled. You think his record stands for itself, and I give you props for that. I am not suggesting he should still be here only that not everything is black and white/ clear as crystal. So the haters can continue hating, I however will continue to wish that things might have worked a little more in Herm's favour.

It isn't that anyone hates Herm as a man. He's a decent guy. His players loved him. And he did want to be the KC coach for the forseeable future. I wish he was about to be coaching the 16-0 Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

What bugs me is how everyone is trying to find any reason than his own incompetence for Herm's failures. People are trying to use injuries to players he chose. They're ignoring all available evidence and absurdly claiming that Herm never got the guys he wanted. They claim he got our players playing hard, and never mention how badly he was outcoached almost every single game this season.

There isn't a losing coach in the NFL who didn't have bad breaks. I don't think the Lions go 0-16 if Kitna's healthy and they keep Roy Williams. The Bengals, Rams, Raiders, Seahawks, Browns, etc. all had injury problems at least as bad as ours. But no one is sitting around and claiming that it isn't those coaches fault.

Herm ws given the keys to the franchise in 2006. Evry move was made either by his design or with his OK. And what we have right now is the result of that.

KristofLaw
01-25-2009, 11:55 PM
It isn't that anyone hates Herm as a man. He's a decent guy. His players loved him. And he did want to be the KC coach for the forseeable future. I wish he was about to be coaching the 16-0 Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

What bugs me is how everyone is trying to find any reason than his own incompetence for Herm's failures. People are trying to use injuries to players he chose. They're ignoring all available evidence and absurdly claiming that Herm never got the guys he wanted. They claim he got our players playing hard, and never mention how badly he was outcoached almost every single game this season.

There isn't a losing coach in the NFL who didn't have bad breaks. I don't think the Lions go 0-16 if Kitna's healthy and they keep Roy Williams. The Bengals, Rams, Raiders, Seahawks, Browns, etc. all had injury problems at least as bad as ours. But no one is sitting around and claiming that it isn't those coaches fault.

Herm ws given the keys to the franchise in 2006. Evry move was made either by his design or with his OK. And what we have right now is the result of that.
You know, I agree with you on all of this and as the season went by this year I was as frustrated as anyone with Herm. I guess the point is... on a Don't Hate Herm thread, I'm trying to bring our ex-coach some love. Don't know what else to say... peace?!?

jmlamerson
01-26-2009, 12:05 AM
You know, I agree with you on all of this and as the season went by this year I was as frustrated as anyone with Herm. I guess the point is... on a Don't Hate Herm thread, I'm trying to bring our ex-coach some love. Don't know what else to say... peace?!?

Fair enough.

honda522
01-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Its kinda of hard not to hate herm. Yes, the team wasn't that great to begin with, but in the next few sentences or paragraphs I will explain why most people hated herm.

1. The Chiefs were once a high powered offense. Throughout herms term, the offense got worse and worse and worse, until they found young Tyler Thigpen. Herm brought in a new game plan. His game plan consisted of attemping to have a lower scoring game. Being conserviative just isn't a good idea for ANY sports team.

2. Poor game planning. Did he ever have gameplan??? His idea was "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME" Part of attemping to win a game is having a good game plan. A game plan could consist of planning to run the ball down their throats. Or it could be a time possesion thing. Either way, he had poor game planning.

3. Conditioning. Part of having a good team is having them be well condition. Now, ever since herm joined the team I noticed that players had a hard time playing a complete game at full speed. This might have been why they lost in the second half. I also have this suspsion that since they were less conditioned, they were more easily injured.

4. The post game interviews. Herm seem to have confidence when he was speaking, and I admire that seeing how I cant give a speech worth a crap. He liked to make excuses; how the they lost the game, but he never took responsablity for ANY of the loses, he always seems to blame the players and how they were still learning. Also he just said some outragous things while he was talking. Back in the 06 season when they got LUCKY cause Denver had to lose at home and about 2 or 3 other teams had to win/lose for the Chiefs to get a wildcard. Then there was one time where he said Kansas City has to get use to it, after being questioned about a lose. So KC has to get use to losing? Thats the way I took it.

To me, what was even more disturbing is that he said about a week ago that the team was 75% complete on the rebuilding project. So did that mean they could only get 25% more worse than last year?

Herm might be a good guy to work with, but he belongs no where near a headcoaching job.

Speaking of rebuilding....I believe Miami and Atlanta were "rebuilding" last year, with Miami 1-15 and Atlanta at 4-12 I believe. Either way look at them now. You can still be "rebuilding" and still be competitive.

Seek
01-26-2009, 08:50 AM
[quote=honda522;114755]
4. The post game interviews. quote]

Herms post game interview really killed me. For Example, after the Atlanta game he threw Thigpen under the bus, stating that he ran the ball to much. He was going to get hurt and increased the risk of turning the ball over. After the Denver win, herm was praising Tyler for being smart with the ball and running when nothing was open instead of throwing into coverage or getting nothing by throwing the ball away.

The guy was so contradictive of himself, that anyone paying attention to him would catch him either lying to just answer the question, or he really didn't have a clue.

Another examply was the talks of him pulling Trent in favor of Hurad in the play-off game is Trent Struggled. Well we know what happened. Herm was caught in another lie.

Seek
01-26-2009, 08:53 AM

That is not a fair statement. There is only room for improvement. Why give credit to a person who made us hit the rock bottom. Herm built a 31st ranked defense. It can't get much worse, so of course it is going to get better, and we are supposed to give Herm credit for that.

honda522
01-26-2009, 11:20 AM
[quote=honda522;114755]
4. The post game interviews. quote]

Herms post game interview really killed me. For Example, after the Atlanta game he threw Thigpen under the bus, stating that he ran the ball to much. He was going to get hurt and increased the risk of turning the ball over. After the Denver win, herm was praising Tyler for being smart with the ball and running when nothing was open instead of throwing into coverage or getting nothing by throwing the ball away.

The guy was so contradictive of himself, that anyone paying attention to him would catch him either lying to just answer the question, or he really didn't have a clue.

Another examply was the talks of him pulling Trent in favor of Hurad in the play-off game is Trent Struggled. Well we know what happened. Herm was caught in another lie.

YES, YES, EXACTLY! I wish the media would of called him out on that.

Glad I wasn't the only one to see this.

At one point, IN THE SAME INTERVIEW, he had said the defense hadn't played that great, then about 5 mins later he was saying how the did an ok job.

N TX Dave
01-26-2009, 11:48 AM
[quote=Seek;114769]

YES, YES, EXACTLY! I wish the media would of called him out on that.

Glad I wasn't the only one to see this.

At one point, IN THE SAME INTERVIEW, he had said the defense hadn't played that great, then about 5 mins later he was saying how the did an ok job.

OK HE is gone let us move on he is history why dwell on it, most of us agree that it is a good thing. If we are going to dwell in the past let it be SB IV or the 90's in other words the good times not the bad times.

We have a new GM and soon a new HC let us look to a promising future instead of the dark recent past.

:yahoo: