PDA

View Full Version : Should Tyler Thigpen be our starting quarterbACK NEXT YEAR?

Big Daddy Tek
01-25-2009, 12:10 AM
I have grown very fond of Tyler Thigpen. Maybe just "homer syndrome." What do you guys think?

hometeam
01-25-2009, 12:18 AM
I think you always have to have competition, If I could've picked two poll choices I would have. They need to either pick up a FA, or draft someone (not in the first round!) and have them compete for the starting QB job.

May the best man win.

Chiefster
01-25-2009, 12:40 AM
Let Thiggy compete for it.

texaschief
01-25-2009, 12:47 AM
The QB position is going to be a difficult position to fill "correctly" this season. I think that no matter what they do, it can be looked at as "the wrong decision."

There can be arguments made for and against each solution to the problem.

Being that I don't think there is a QB worth taking at the #3 spot, I don't think Sanchez or Stafford should be the solution unless they can be had in the second round.

Trading for Matt Cassel would hinder this team in their rebuilding efforts. He won't be worth the bounty he'd require.

I don't see a free agent QB worth building a franchise around, although I could see Michael Vick being a bridge to next season or the following year. I doubt that happens though.

That leaves Thigpen. I've heard a bunch of people say he can't play in a "pro system" but i don't take them seriously. The only game people have seen him play in that type of system was during the 4th game of the season while he made his first career start against a good Falcons squad. One game isn't enough time to make the claim that one is certain Thigpen can't play in that system. That's ignorant. I think Tyler Thigpen should get a shot this next season if for no other reason than a lack of better options.

In 2010, the QB free agent class will include:
Jason Campbell
Kellen Clemens
Jake Delhomme
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Ben Rothlisberger

2011 will include:
Derek Anderson
Tom Brady
Trent Edwards
Matt Hasselbeck
Kevin Kolb

These lists don't include QBs who will be cut due to large contracts.

If not Thigpen, then who? That seems to be the biggest problem. Thigpen represents the lesser evil.

jerhart
01-25-2009, 09:37 AM
...it's Thiggy's to lose in my opinion...

...he has been building chemistry with Tony and his wide outs...let him keep going on with it. Why take him out and RISK putting someone back there who has no chemistry with anyone?

Chuck
01-25-2009, 10:43 AM
It could be Thigpen's to lose but I really don't like that scenerio. Certainly not a good draft for QB's and there is really no one out there in FA. In my opinion Sanchez is the best draft choice, just because of the system he comes from, but he is not a first rounder.
This whole thing will depend on who we get as a head coach. Don't really think Tyler is the man if we would be so lucky to talk Coach Cower into coming back to KC.
I would hope we would not stoop so low as to bring in the Ex-Con. Him and Larry together would be a disaster.

jmlamerson
01-25-2009, 10:49 AM
I have grown very fond of Tyler Thigpen. Maybe just "homer syndrome." What do you guys think?

I think our (good) decision to keep Gailey means that our offense will remain the same at the skill positions (except maybe LJ) next season. I think we'll upgrade our OL and switch RBs, but guys like Charles, Bowe, Bradley, Gonzo, and Thigpen should be pretty secure in their jobs.

We should keep Thigpen for 2009 simply because we don't have a better option. I don't want to put an old vet like Garcia back there. I don't want to spend a high draft pick on a QB, as we have so many other positions to fill. And 2010 is rich for QBs, both in FA and the draft. Why not start Thigpen, and keep the OC and skill players (like Gonzo) happy? What (long-term) do you have to lose?

OTR Chiefs fan
01-25-2009, 11:01 AM
I think our (good) decision to keep Gailey means that our offense will remain the same at the skill positions (except maybe LJ) next season. I think we'll upgrade our OL and switch RBs, but guys like Charles, Bowe, Bradley, Gonzo, and Thigpen should be pretty secure in their jobs.

We should keep Thigpen for 2009 simply because we don't have a better option. I don't want to put an old vet like Garcia back there. I don't want to spend a high draft pick on a QB, as we have so many other positions to fill. And 2010 is rich for QBs, both in FA and the draft. Why not start Thigpen, and keep the OC and skill players (like Gonzo) happy? What (long-term) do you have to lose?

Very good points. I think he's earned the start for 2009. Of course, it will depend on the thoughts of the new HC, whoever that may be. Anyway, I'm jiggy with Thiggy! :lol: :D

drstandley31
01-25-2009, 11:51 AM
How does anybody know what he can do.They didn't put the spread in because he couldn't take a snap from center. They put it in because we didn't have an offensive line that could block long enought for him to take a snap under center. Some guys with a lot of experience and a seasoned offense could get rid of the ball quick enough to make up for some of it. But not a rookie. Toss in the lack of a consistant running game thanks to LJ and it was a no win. And will remain a no win until we build a line, create a consistant offensive attack. Build the foundation and the rest will come. Until then, no QB is going to have success back there.

okikcfan
01-25-2009, 12:37 PM
I think we need to bring in a proven QB and let them duke it out, we can't have what happen last year happen again.

Pro_Angler
01-25-2009, 01:05 PM
thiggy earned it..of not for our D letting the teams score over 21pts a game thiggy would have gotten us in the playoffs and with a 12-4 record at that!!!!!!!!!!!!

marloweopatchiefs
01-25-2009, 01:13 PM
at least get a vetern qB who could take his place if he didn't live up to the starting role

jmlamerson
01-25-2009, 02:54 PM
I think we need to bring in a proven QB and let them duke it out, we can't have what happen last year happen again.

Good in theory, but who? The best FA QBs are Losman and Garcia. And both are mediocre at best.

loyalchief91
01-25-2009, 03:48 PM
I think their should be open competetion, but hopeful Thiggy wins that competetion and proves his worth..

jmlamerson
01-25-2009, 04:01 PM
I think their should be open competetion, but hopeful Thiggy wins that competetion and proves his worth..

BETWEEN WHO?

Bike
01-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Maybe he means between Thig, Croyle, Martin, Gray, and Huard..I hope so!

jmlamerson
01-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Maybe he means between Thig, Croyle, Martin, Gray, and Huard..I hope so!

Why would we bother to do that? Huard's at the end of his career. Croyle is very obviously not an NFL starter. Gray and Martin?!?!?!? Really?

Thigpen is the only one of that bunch who has even the slightest shot of being a long-term starter for us or any NFL team.

Hell, I woudn't mind taking the other four behind a barn and euthenizing them, just to avoid the appearance of a QB controversy

Bike
01-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Why would we bother to do that? Huard's at the end of his career. Croyle is very obviously not an NFL starter. Gray and Martin?!?!?!? Really?

Thigpen is the only one of that bunch who has even the slightest shot of being a long-term starter for us or any NFL team.

Hell, I woudn't mind taking the other four behind a barn and euthenizing them, just to avoid the appearance of a QB controversy
HAHA!!! I agree Thig is the only one on our roster that should be considered our starter for next season.
No on Croyle and Huard for the reasons you stated. Don't know anything about Martin. Somebody sees something in him as we just re-signed him.
Keep those two and flush everybody else...:bananen_smilies046:

rodu
01-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Let Thigpen start for now. We have more pressing needs at other positions for our high picks to fix first

hometeam
01-25-2009, 06:22 PM
While I think there always needs to be competition, I think the retaining of Chan Gailey says that the job is Thigs to lose.

KristofLaw
01-25-2009, 07:07 PM

I agree with you to some extent on this, which leads me to the point that we definitely are going to need some competition at the QB position. I hope Thigpen is the answer, but we did go 2-14, we can blame whoever we want from last years team, but that's the point, they were all members of the same team.

jmlamerson
01-25-2009, 07:15 PM
I agree with you to some extent on this, which leads me to the point that we definitely are going to need some competition at the QB position. I hope Thigpen is the answer, but we did go 2-14, we can blame whoever we want from last years team, but that's the point, they were all members of the same team.

But competition between whom? Who should we pick up? Heck, who CAN we pick up?

prough91
01-25-2009, 08:30 PM
I'd like to see what Tyler can do when he has a decent defense and decent line.

KCCAT21
01-25-2009, 08:57 PM
I think Thigpen earned the right to go into camp with it as his job to lose. Competition is always good, but he should know that he has a better than average shot of being the starter.

honda522
01-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Keep em this year and see how he does. If were going to draft a QB, do it next year when Bradford or McCoy enter into the draft.

RedJohnson
01-26-2009, 12:51 AM
This city gets what it deserves, he's a loser, he won one game. Cut him, get him out of here.

He under throws, he over throws. The only thing he can do is get it to Tony G., and anyone can do that.

honda522
01-26-2009, 10:33 AM
This city gets what it deserves, he's a loser, he won one game. Cut him, get him out of here.

He under throws, he over throws. The only thing he can do is get it to Tony G., and anyone can do that.
Dude, it was his first year, he is just rookie, he came from a school that had just started a football program.

You have to give him time to develop. He was able to make plays. The defense put press on the entire offense to come back and score 20 + points.

I'd take him anyday over Brokie Croyle.

jmlamerson
01-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Dude, it was his first year, he is just rookie, he came from a school that had just started a football program.

You have to give him time to develop. He was able to make plays. The defense put press on the entire offense to come back and score 20 + points.

I'd take him anyday over Brokie Croyle.

Not to mention that these people hating on Thigpen can't seem to say exactly who should replace him or even compete with him for the starting job. "Somebody" is about as close as they get.

Chief4Ever&Ever
01-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Thiggy earned the start for next season but I think they need to find someone to replace him!

He is an okay QB, if we want to make it to the Super Bowl we need somebody with WAY more talent than Thiggy has!!!

Codac
01-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Tyler has definitely earned his right to be the starter next year. But, until I see more I really don't think he is our QBotF.

He is a little to inconsistent. He makes too many poor decisions. He is too streaky.

He did have lots of talent flashes. But we are probably not going to keep the Spread. He isn't a Pro-Style QB. Therefore we need to find a replacement while he is hot.

chiefnut
01-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I think Thigpen earned the right to go into camp with it as his job to lose. Competition is always good, but he should know that he has a better than average shot of being the starter.

i agree, with no blocking, [pass or run] no qb would have faired much better. if we had a decent defense we may have won 5 more games. he looked better than croyle or even huard. huard only had to hand the ball off or throw it 5 yds. give this kid the chance he earned by giving us the chance to win a few games last year. and don't say he can only run a apread offense, the spread/shotgun formation was put in to keep our last qb off his back oand out of ICU.:sign0098:

Codac
01-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Well he may not be only a Spread guy. But from what I have seen he is.

His game against Atlanta was his worst game and he was in the Pro-Style.

Like I said. Until I see more i'm not convinced. But heck I do like the kid. Its not like i'm against him. He needs to continue to prove himself.

chiefnut
01-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Well he may not be only a Spread guy. But from what I have seen he is.

His game against Atlanta was his worst game and he was in the Pro-Style.

Like I said. Until I see more i'm not convinced. But heck I do like the kid. Its not like i'm against him. He needs to continue to prove himself.

the occasional bad game does not a bad QB make. pennigton had a super season and looked pittiful in his last game. HOF brett favre last game made Thigpen look good this year. lets put him behind a good o line and see what he can do. then decide.

Vandelay
01-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Until we have a pro style offensive line, how can anyone say Thigpen can't run a pro style offense. The guy did a good job. If he had been a high draft pick, people would think he was the QBOTF based on his performance last year. Thigpen got the crap knocked out of him repeatedly, yet he always got back up. He's got talent, and he's got heart. Give Thiggy the offseason, and training camp, as well as a good coaching staff, and I believe he will win many games for the Chiefs, as well as become a star in this league.

Bike
01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Until we have a pro style offensive line, how can anyone say Thigpen can't run a pro style offense. The guy did a good job. If he had been a high draft pick, people would think he was the QBOTF based on his performance last year. Thigpen got the crap knocked out of him repeatedly, yet he always got back up. He's got talent, and he's got heart. Give Thiggy the offseason, and training camp, as well as a good coaching staff, and I believe he will win many games for the Chiefs, as well as become a star in this league.
Exactly. Thig kept us in many games DESPITE Herm and his 31st ranked defense - and with only 2 offensive linemen worth starting any game in the nfl....

jmlamerson
01-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Tyler has definitely earned his right to be the starter next year. But, until I see more I really don't think he is our QBotF.

He is a little to inconsistent. He makes too many poor decisions. He is too streaky.

He did have lots of talent flashes. But we are probably not going to keep the Spread. He isn't a Pro-Style QB. Therefore we need to find a replacement while he is hot.

WHO?

In this terrible draft and FA market for QBs, who exactly should be a replacement?

honda522
01-26-2009, 06:59 PM
WHO?

In this terrible draft and FA market for QBs, who exactly should be a replacement?
Thats why I said we should wait till next year and if Thiggy fails, get McCoy or Bradford or any others.

theaxeeffect4311
01-26-2009, 08:36 PM

That is how I feel. Even if Thigpen does bad next season, we can draft a QB in 2010. Thigpen basically holds the position for one season. And if he turns out to be good, hey, we can use that pick we saved and give him a playmaker or O-linemen to protect him.

Or we could trade our second round pick for Vince Young. Yeah, sounds like a good idea, right?

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Thats why I said we should wait till next year and if Thiggy fails, get McCoy or Bradford or any others.

I agree entirely. I'm just tired of other people saying how we need to bring in people to compete with Thigpen in 2009. Because they can't actually name anyone.

balto
01-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Jason Campbell
Kellen Clemens
Jake Delhomme
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Ben Rothlisberger

Hmmmmm,

Maybe thats why Cowher is waiting till 2010 to come back LOL "BEN ROTHLISBERGER"

Maybe he will come to the Chiefs and bring Cowher with him MUHAHAHAHAHHA

honda522
01-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Jason Campbell
Kellen Clemens
Jake Delhomme
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Ben Rothlisberger

Hmmmmm,

Maybe thats why Cowher is waiting till 2010 to come back LOL "BEN ROTHLISBERGER"

Maybe he will come to the Chiefs and bring Cowher with him MUHAHAHAHAHHA
They will resign most of those Qb's.

Hell, I DO NOT want a crybaby Manning on my team.

Codac
01-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Thats the reason you LOOK for a replacement. You don't know who he is yet. There are over 100 QBs in the league. More in the draft.

And you guys keep acting like I hate him and like I keep saying he sucks. I AM NOT SAYING THAT.

Don't cling to Thiggy just because he is the first decent QB since Green. He had a low completion percentage, not so good QB Rating, and his YpT was only 6.2. You want about 7-8 YpT.

This is constructive criticism. But i'm not jumping on the Thiggy is amazing, gonna be really really good, bandwagon.

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Thats the reason you LOOK for a replacement. You don't know who he is yet. There are over 100 QBs in the league. More in the draft.

And you guys keep acting like I hate him and like I keep saying he sucks. I AM NOT SAYING THAT.

Don't cling to Thiggy just because he is the first decent QB since Green. He had a low completion percentage, not so good QB Rating, and his YpT was only 6.2. You want about 7-8 YpT.

This is constructive criticism. But i'm not jumping on the Thiggy is amazing, gonna be really really good, bandwagon.

You've been saying that we should bring in competition for Thigpen. Exactly what FA or draft pick is better? Do you want to trade for someone? Who in the NFL are you looking at?

How does it do any good to say that something needs to be done, and then have no idea how to do it? I think we vastly need to upgrade most of our team's talent if we want to become a serious contender. But I know there's no way we can do that in 2009.

Codac
01-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Fine. I'll look. I'll look at this years draft prospects, Free Agents, and other teams depth charts. I'll do a little research.

Codac
01-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Ok. So far I have found quite a few interesting prospects in the draft. I still need to find some film on them, but just from looking at size and stats I see a few.
Todd Boeckman OSU
Ryan Berry SDSU
Rhett Bomar SHS
Hunter Cantwell Louisville
Chris Crane BC
Nate Davis Ball St.
Chase Daniel Mizzou
Chase Patton Mizzou
Sean Glennon VT

I'm sure there are more but for now thats all I'll post. I'm still looking. Also I don't expect these guys to come in and be winners. These are all projects.

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Ok. So far I have found quite a few interesting prospects in the draft. I still need to find some film on them, but just from looking at size and stats I see a few.
Todd Boeckman OSU
Ryan Berry SDSU
Rhett Bomar SHS
Hunter Cantwell Louisville
Chris Crane BC
Nate Davis Ball St.
Chase Daniel Mizzou
Chase Patton Mizzou
Sean Glennon VT

I'm sure there are more but for now thats all I'll post. I'm still looking. Also I don't expect these guys to come in and be winners. These are all projects.

Key word is "projects." The question is who should be starting for us in 2009. And as much as I can see drafting and grooming some of these guys (I like Davis and Bomar), I don't think even you see them as 2009 starters.

theaxeeffect4311
01-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Key word is "projects." The question is who should be starting for us in 2009. And as much as I can see drafting and grooming some of these guys (I like Davis and Bomar), I don't think even you see them as 2009 starters.

I wouldn't mind a QB in the later rounds, like the fifth round or so. I think if a QB did compete with Thigpen, Thigpen would still win. Project QBs are not bad, like you said, but yeah, they would not win the starting job. It will be interesting to see if Pioli takes a QB in the later rounds.

Bike
01-27-2009, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't mind a QB in the later rounds, like the fifth round or so. I think if a QB did compete with Thigpen, Thigpen would still win. Project QBs are not bad, like you said, but yeah, they would not win the starting job. It will be interesting to see if Pioli takes a QB in the later rounds.
Thats where I see it. Thats where he found Brady...:bananen_smilies046:

tornadospotter
01-27-2009, 02:43 PM
I voted to draft a QB, but not early in the draft. I believe in Thig, I think he should be the starter going into training camp. I also think there are some QB's that will be available in the later Rd's of the draft. Sometimes the best player, is not on a top ten college team.

Codac
01-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Thats true. I guess I did get a bit off-topic. I do think he should be our starter going into this year, and hopefully for all the year.

I was mainly gettinng distracted by the Thigpen will be a future STAR, and that he is better than Cassel and what not. I like him but he isn't as good as you are all saying he is.

I apologize for getting off the thread topic.

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Thats true. I guess I did get a bit off-topic. I do think he should be our starter going into this year, and hopefully for all the year.

I was mainly gettinng distracted by the Thigpen will be a future STAR, and that he is better than Cassel and what not. I like him but he isn't as good as you are all saying he is.

I apologize for getting off the thread topic.

You don't have to apologize. And you're right. We'd be foolish to pretend we're set at QB. But out team has been so stripped of talent that we are out of options for 2009 except:

1. Start Thigpen
2. Draft a QB high and start him
3. Sign a has-been/never was (Losman, Garcia, Leftwich, etc.) and start him
4. Trade high picks for Cassel

And of those four options, 1 is best.

For 2010, we have the better options of mutliple FA QBs and NFL-ready QBs in the draft.

chiefnut
01-28-2009, 12:50 AM

his passer rating was almost the same as huard and he litteraly got sacked half as often. he was our 2nd best rusher w/the highest avg. let's build an O line in front of him and give him a chance. no other qb could have done much better with constant pressure like Thig
had