PDA

View Full Version : Should the Chiefs trade LJ away?

honda522
01-26-2009, 09:26 PM
We traded a Pro-bowler away, Jared Allen. We did get compensated draft picks. Jared wanted out, he hated the King and more. Now, Johnson wants out.

The difference is Johnson plays on his emotions. Larry said he does NOT want to play for the Chiefs. In fact, for my point of view he hasn't tried to make a big impact.

It all started when he held out of training camp for a raise. I don't think he ever really like Kansas City to begin with. In 2005, I saw alot of effort when he took the ball, and in 06' he struggled because the offensive line struggled. Then he broke his ankle or what ever. In 07' he lacked the ability's to make quick cut backs. In 08' it just got worse. I will give him credit to the line not blocking and Herm for not conditioning him or even the rest of the team for that matter.

We have Kobly Smith and Jamal Charles. I think they will do just fine, in the mean time patch up that oline with the 3rd round pick we recive from his trade. I think we can get a third rounder for him.

So what do you think?

Sick Dog
01-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Get rid of him now while he still has some value although I don't think they get to much for him.

chiefnut
01-26-2009, 09:32 PM
cause we won't get enuf for him, probably more valuable to us to keep him

Bike
01-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Ah, this has been discussed numerous times in this forum. You might want to considering reading some previous posts before starting new threads on your own.
Having said that, nobody in their right mind is gonna trade for a 30 y/o rb with sh!t attitude and a huge contract.
If we can trade LJ for - say - a can of dog food (Aldi's), I'd say make the trade.
Otherwise we squeeze out the remainder of his 47 mil contract extension on the field, or eat his contract and release him.

honda522
01-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Ah, this has been discussed numerous times in this forum. You might want to considering reading some previous posts before starting new threads on your own.
Having said that, nobody in their right mind is gonna trade for a 30 y/o rb with sh!t attitude and a huge contract.
If we can trade LJ for - say - a can of dog food (Aldi's), I'd say make the trade.
Otherwise we squeeze out the remainder of his 47 mil contract extension on the field, or eat his contract and release him.

I didn't see any on the first page, and I didn't bother going back. I think some team might want him and are willing to give a late round pick for him. Seahawks??? Possibly AZ if they don't want Edge around or he doesnt want to stick. Bears, Lions...I could see him going to Denver with their RB situation with all their RB's getting hurt. Houston might like a decent back up, along with the Browns. I could even see him going to NE.

I think all those teams could use a decent RB, he could be a backup to someone.

Bike
01-26-2009, 09:47 PM
I didn't see any on the first page, and I didn't bother going back. I think some team might want him and are willing to give a late round pick for him. Seahawks??? Possibly AZ if they don't want Edge around or he doesnt want to stick. Bears, Lions...I could see him going to Denver with their RB situation with all their RB's getting hurt. Houston might like a decent back up, along with the Browns. I could even see him going to NE.

I think all those teams could use a decent RB, he could be a backup to someone.
I gotta agree with you Honda that the above teams need rb help, but LJ? I don't know. He's not the same back as he was 3-4 years ago, is a locker room cancer, and has a huge contract that somebodys' gotta eat. I mean - why bother? Why not just draft a young, hungry back?

tornadospotter
01-26-2009, 09:51 PM
No we do not trade him. We make him shut the hell up, get his a$$ straighten out and play football, or ride the bench for the rest of your NFL career.
He is not good trade value anyway.

hometeam
01-26-2009, 09:53 PM
good bye LJ, I wont miss you. Honestly, we will probabaly have to cut him, his contract is way bigger than hes worth and everyone knows he has a bad attitude~

greg3564
01-26-2009, 10:00 PM
No we do not trade him. We make him shut the hell up, get his a$$ straighten out and play football, or ride the bench for the rest of your NFL career.
He is not good trade value anyway.

It's pretty obvious LJ lacks the discipline to sit down and shut up. Multiple allegations of beating women, temper tantrums on the field and whining to the press. Let's face it, LJ had a couple good seasons and hasn't done squat since. He may end up with a longer suspension pending the outcome of his court case this spring. He's too much of a risk for the Chiefs or any other team. I think the most we get offered is maybe a fourth round pick, if that. I think the Chiefs cut him if they dont get an offer. The Chiefs are starting a new era with Spioli and the next head coach and the last thing either of them want is LJ's whiny @ss demanding trades or demanding more carries. He's worn out his welcome in KC.

honda522
01-26-2009, 10:03 PM
I gotta agree with you Honda that the above teams need rb help, but LJ? I don't know. He's not the same back as he was 3-4 years ago, is a locker room cancer, and has a huge contract that somebodys' gotta eat. I mean - why bother? Why not just draft a young, hungry back?
IMO, there are not that many great RB's this year. They got Moreno as the Number 1 in the RB's. Second is Benie Wells, his is injury prone. and 3rd is McCoy. Thats from ESPNs top 32 scout list. If your looking at 8 or 9 teams there are not enough top ranked backs....but then to consider in that there could be a 5th round pick up at RB who could be a total stud.

Bottom line is the you cant rely on the draft for good player. Its a risk.

Bike
01-26-2009, 10:11 PM
IMO, there are not that many great RB's this year. They got Moreno as the Number 1 in the RB's. Second is Benie Wells, his is injury prone. and 3rd is McCoy. Thats from ESPNs top 32 scout list. If your looking at 8 or 9 teams there are not enough top ranked backs....but then to consider in that there could be a 5th round pick up at RB who could be a total stud.

Bottom line is the you cant rely on the draft for good player. Its a risk.
Well, I mean, you do build teams through the draft.
LJ and his HUGE cap hit would be much more of a risk...
And don't forget Shown Greene from Iowa.

jap1
01-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Everyone always says "locker room cancer." But honestly I cannot remember him ever getting into an argument or any mention of him directly affecting other players. Yeah, he is not the team leader that you want/need out of a guy with that kind of contract. But I have never seen any evidence of him bringing down other players. The only thing I have ever heard from him is that he want/needs more carries to be effective. Which is true for his style of playing. He is a wear down the defense running-back. And when you are told you are the centerpiece of an offense, and then get 10 carries, I dont blame you for being upset. LJ's comments have always been about him and the coaching. He has never (and easily could/should have) complained about his horrific O-line, or (until Thigpen and the spread was installed) being the only legitimate threat on offense and running against 8/9 people in the box and getting hit behind the line.

TO is a locker room cancer, he creates animosity between other players and between players and coaching staff. Steve Smith broke his teammates face in a fight before the game. I think there are much worse examples of "locker room cancers" than LJ.

When a player speaks out to the media, that is usually a sign of a coaching problem. There is usually a lot of talk between coaches and players before he takes his dirty laundry out of the locker room. Bring in a coach that treats the players (all of them) right and earns their respect, then you wont hear about them speaking out to the media.

If I am wrong about LJ's effect on other players, and what he has said about them (if anything) please correct me.

As far as what I know for sure, LJ averaged 4.5 yards/carry. That makes him tied for the 9th best average in the year. Yes he does make a crapload of money, probably more than he was worth. Yes he has said he wants out, but he also said he wants out because he does not feel welcomed.

My vote is to keep him and get our money's worth so that we dont have to waste a draft pick or FA pickup on a RB. His contract is too high to be worth a trade, unless he takes a pay cut. Remember if we cut him, we still are on the hook for a crap-load of money, and he will get picked up by the Broncos and then run all over our horrible D (unless we make drastic changes).

Thats my two cents.

honda522
01-26-2009, 10:17 PM
It seems when he really need the yardage, he didn't get it. I hope if he is on the team, he is a bench warm.

I just cant stand his attitude. This is why I want Priest back. :(

Bike
01-26-2009, 10:27 PM
LJ is sewage. He beats and spits on women, runs into blockers and falls down, or makes a bee-line for the sideline.
I know he wants to be a rap star. I say give him a kick start and ship him and his Bentley outta here to never return.
What a joke - not to mention such a fantastic role model for our kids to idolize.
LJ sucks a$$.

Coach
01-26-2009, 11:15 PM
I voted no. But it really depends on what we could get out of him. If we can get a 2nd rd pick so that we can pick up Shonn Greene, then I vote yes.

greg3564
01-26-2009, 11:25 PM
LJ is sewage. He beats and spits on women, runs into blockers and falls down, or makes a bee-line for the sideline.
I know he wants to be a rap star. I say give him a kick start and ship him and his Bentley outta here to never return.
What a joke - not to mention such a fantastic role model for our kids to idolize.
LJ sucks a$$.

:sign0098::sign0156: LJ has no one to blame but himself. Seems as though his upbringing wasn't an issue. Just couldn't or wouldn't live up to his potential.

theaxeeffect4311
01-27-2009, 05:58 AM
Hey jap1, I just wanted to comment that LJ does complain about the Chiefs' O-line. Is it deserved? Possibly. Is it good for the team that he complains about it? No. Him complaining about the O-line will not make them want to play better.

Look at how Big Ben handled his horrific O-line this season. He never said anything bad about them and always said the guys are trying hard out there.

If LJ was a team player, I would say we should keep the guy. He does some off the field issues. But even as far as actual ability, no, he does not deserve to stay. He is an average running back now who can't carry the pile like he once did. He had 5 fumbles this season (only 1 lost). He can barely pass block or chooses not to. He is not great at catching passes out of the backfield. He is a one dimensional running back. He can be replaced even if the Chiefs only get a fifth round for him. As far as money goes, it would save us money in the long run if we cut/trade him this season then letting him finish his contract here.

Adam Shefter talked about the financial part and Johnson's possible value in this link :

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Chiefs weigh options for Johnson (http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/30/chiefs-weigh-options-for-johnson/)

Guru
01-27-2009, 06:15 AM
should they? Yeah. Will they? probably not.

Should they a year and a half ago? HELL YES. Might have gotten something for him then.

chiefnut
01-27-2009, 09:09 AM
When we had a good "O" line, and L J ran for big yds we didn't miss Priest. now there are no running lanes and we fondly remember Priest as a saint. we forget how Priest dissed us at the end, how we held a roster spot for him for two years when he wouldn't even join his team mates for a game. I remember how great he was on the field running behind the best line in the nfl, and how not so great after. i remember how L J tore it up behind that same great line and after the line crumbled he needed to break 3 tackles in the backfield. i'm not defending him, he needs a good smack upside the head, only trying to put it all in perspective.

KCCAT21
01-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Get rid of the Cancer in the locker room and off the field. Get what you can for him, and go on.

prough91
01-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Don't most contracts have a conduct policy in them? Is there any way if he was found guilty at his court date that he could be cut without costing the Chiefs any money?

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 10:33 AM

Yep. It amazes me how people think LJ's $8M salary is tradable. THIS ISN'T MADDEN!

LJ would be a decent FA pickup. NO ONE is trading for his massive salary.

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Don't most contracts have a conduct policy in them? Is there any way if he was found guilty at his court date that he could be cut without costing the Chiefs any money?

It isn't his salary that's the problem - it's his cap hit. We'd have the same cap hit if he retired today as if we cut him or traded him or if he were sent to Leavenworth.

prough91
01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
It isn't his salary that's the problem - it's his cap hit. We'd have the same cap hit if he retired today as if we cut him or traded him or if he were sent to Leavenworth.

Even if he breached his contract?

honda522
01-27-2009, 10:47 AM
When we had a good "O" line, and L J ran for big yds we didn't miss Priest. now there are no running lanes and we fondly remember Priest as a saint. we forget how Priest dissed us at the end, how we held a roster spot for him for two years when he wouldn't even join his team mates for a game. I remember how great he was on the field running behind the best line in the nfl, and how not so great after. i remember how L J tore it up behind that same great line and after the line crumbled he needed to break 3 tackles in the backfield. i'm not defending him, he needs a good smack upside the head, only trying to put it all in perspective.

Dude, Priest wanted to play. He was injured. He tried to come back, he thought it would be sooner. He really wanted to play for the Chiefs rather than anyone else. He retired after re-injuring it cause of fear that he would get seriously hurt.

Can you blame him for wanting to play?? He loved football and loved the Chiefs.

OTR Chiefs fan
01-27-2009, 11:13 AM
It's pretty obvious LJ lacks the discipline to sit down and shut up. Multiple allegations of beating women, temper tantrums on the field and whining to the press. Let's face it, LJ had a couple good seasons and hasn't done squat since. He may end up with a longer suspension pending the outcome of his court case this spring. He's too much of a risk for the Chiefs or any other team. I think the most we get offered is maybe a fourth round pick, if that. I think the Chiefs cut him if they dont get an offer. The Chiefs are starting a new era with Spioli and the next head coach and the last thing either of them want is LJ's whiny @ss demanding trades or demanding more carries. He's worn out his welcome in KC.

I have to agree. Until LJ's legal problems are cleared up, the Chiefs probably won't get very many legit offers, if any. I think we need LJ for one more year, because IMO Smith and Charles aren't every down backs. I like Charles's speed, but I look at him as a Reggie Bush type, rather than someone that can carry the rock 20-25 times a game. I think if we can get a RB say in the 4th-5th round, we would be alright. It done all the time in the NFL. No sense in using a higher pick for one. If by some chance we do get a good offer then take it, but I don't see it happening. :11::D

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Even if he breached his contract?

Yes!

The Giants, for example, still have the cap hit from Plax's signing bonus, even if they cut him this offseason.

You always, always, always will have to pay the cap hit for the prorated portion of the signing bonus.

Nel Toille
01-27-2009, 12:46 PM
can they just give him to another team? I really don't see anyone trading away a player or pick for a moneypit. I say we just throw him on the curb and hang a sign on his neck saying "take me, please" or put him in a basket and leave him on Al Davis' doorstep like some sort of unwanted orphan.

theaxeeffect4311
01-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Yep. It amazes me how people think LJ's $8M salary is tradable. THIS ISN'T MADDEN!

LJ would be a decent FA pickup. NO ONE is trading for his massive salary.

If this was Madden we could trade LJ for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. I know, I just tried.

But I think you are missing that if someone did trade for LJ, they would not have to pay him bonus. That basically makes him a hired hand until you do not want him anymore. Then you just cut him whenever you want and you don't have to pay him anymore. Teams can handle a 8 mil hit these days. I can see a team trading a fifth round, possibly a fourth round, for LJ to give them the power back they need. Teams get desparate especially those trying to make a superbowl run. Someone will take LJ at that price.

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 02:33 PM
If this was Madden we could trade LJ for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. I know, I just tried.

But I think you are missing that if someone did trade for LJ, they would not have to pay him bonus. That basically makes him a hired hand until you do not want him anymore. Then you just cut him whenever you want and you don't have to pay him anymore. Teams can handle a 8 mil hit these days. I can see a team trading a fifth round, possibly a fourth round, for LJ to give them the power back they need. Teams get desparate especially those trying to make a superbowl run. Someone will take LJ at that price.

Actually I was wrong - it would only be about $6M/year for LJ, as he prorated bonus doesn't count as salary for a new team.

If we can trade him for a 5th, great. I'll be thrilled. I'm just trying to picture a team trading for him, his salary, his age, and his problems, and none are coming to mind.

hardcorechiefsfan
01-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Let some other team have his baggage.

rodu
01-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Think he will even show up to camp if we don't trade him?

Coach
01-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Think he will even show up to camp if we don't trade him?

Very good question. That will probably depend on his relationship with the new coach.

Chiefster
01-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Yes.

That is all.

Chiefster
01-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Very good question. That will probably depend on his relationship with the new coach.

Well, as long as the coach don't say anything about his diapers... :D

hometeam
01-28-2009, 01:18 AM
I think he knows hes never going to hit that big payday again. So yes, he will show up to camp becuase he wants to make what money he can before hes out of the league~

dbolan
01-28-2009, 01:49 PM
LJ changed his tune after his last hand slapping. He knows his trade value is crapola right now and the only way to get out of KC and/or play, is to nut-up a play good ball this year without any incidents off the field.

However, I would not be bothered by letting him ride the pine or getting something halfway decent in return.

We have a couple of RB's that could fill the roles next year.

Never know....Dallas may make a good trade with us? LMAO!

dbolan
01-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Actually..To be honest with you...I would keep him and make him carry the rock 25-30 times a game, every game. Either he makes it, or he doesn't. If he gets hurt, then "oh well".

okikcfan
01-29-2009, 04:01 AM
Most player contracts have different clauses in them and it would not suprise me because of his past and his current trial date if we cut him we could owe him next to nothing. If that was the case, I'd say send him packing and see how much he can get for himself....

hermhater
01-29-2009, 04:37 AM
LJ is hopefully gone.

dbolan
01-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Most player contracts have different clauses in them and it would not suprise me because of his past and his current trial date if we cut him we could owe him next to nothing. If that was the case, I'd say send him packing and see how much he can get for himself....

Good points...If this is the case...I say let him go as well.

jmlamerson
01-30-2009, 10:08 AM

If we cut him, we don't owe him anything, no matter the reason.

The Chiefs aren't worried about paying his salary. They're worried about the $12M cap hit that will count against the 2009 cap.

Contracts don't have anything to do with cap hits.

dbolan
01-30-2009, 12:28 PM
If we cut him, we don't owe him anything, no matter the reason.

The Chiefs aren't worried about paying his salary. They're worried about the $12M cap hit that will count against the 2009 cap.

Contracts don't have anything to do with cap hits.

So whether he stays or not...The Chiefs take a $12mil hit..Right?

jmlamerson
01-30-2009, 01:11 PM
So whether he stays or not...The Chiefs take a $12mil hit..Right?

No. That $12M is dead money against the cap. If we cut LJ, the remaining pro-rated portion of his signing bonus is applied to our salary cap of 2009. LJ has already been paid that money - he's not getting extra money for being cut.

theaxeeffect4311
01-30-2009, 02:27 PM
No. That $12M is dead money against the cap. If we cut LJ, the remaining pro-rated portion of his signing bonus is applied to our salary cap of 2009. LJ has already been paid that money - he's not getting extra money for being cut.

I thought it was around $9M cap hit. Either way, the Chiefs do it this year because they have the cap room to make that kind of move. They eat the loss and show that changes are being made.

jmlamerson
01-30-2009, 02:49 PM
I thought it was around $9M cap hit. Either way, the Chiefs do it this year because they have the cap room to make that kind of move. They eat the loss and show that changes are being made.

It depends on whether we cut him before or after June 1. We signed LJ in 2007 to a five-year contract with a $19M signing bonus. He's played two years of that five year contract. The prorated portion of the remaing bonus is about $12M - which will need to count against our cap some time.

I agree. Unless we have a FA binge of mammoth proportions, the best idea for cap purposes is to take our lumps this season.

Chief4Ever&Ever
01-30-2009, 03:40 PM
We know LJ has talent or at least had talent. If he still has talent and desire is yet to be seen. I agree with dbolan and give him the rock 25-30 times a game and he has another great season or he gets hurt and we don't lose much.

chiefsfreak4life
01-30-2009, 09:04 PM
If we could get any kinda of value for LJ, I would say yes trade him. And if it was my decision, I would take anything from a third round pick and up. Third is probably the best we could get. I do think LJ has loads of talent and could of been a star at RB, but the chip on his shoulder and his off field troubles really brings his value on a team way, way down. I would like to say just sit him on the bench, but I really think the whole attitude of the team is better without LJ. He has been a distraction and when he was not on the field for the games last season, the offense played better.

KristofLaw
01-30-2009, 09:46 PM
The Chiefs organization also must gauge the effect of either keeping, releasing or trading Larry Johnson is going to have on our efforts this off-season once the free-agency period begins.

Canada
01-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Just curious, but why not bench him or run him into the ground this season and release him in 2010 when there is no cap and then who cares about the cap hit!?!

Chiefster
01-30-2009, 10:08 PM
That would probably work also.

jap1
01-31-2009, 02:02 AM
Just curious, but why not bench him or run him into the ground this season and release him in 2010 when there is no cap and then who cares about the cap hit!?!

I agree wholeheartedly. Get what you can out of him if he is going to "cost" us cap space anyway.

theaxeeffect4311
01-31-2009, 02:38 AM

But we would still have to pay him the bonus amount anyway. Plus, I heard today on Total Access that Roger Goddell is starting to do everything he can to make sure that they get a deal finalized and that 2010 will have a salary cap.

jtandcrew
01-31-2009, 06:29 AM
It will cost us to much cap space to trade him. Its not the same position that Allen was in where we couold trade him. We are stuck with him unless someone crazier than Al Davis is willing to trade for him!:lol:

Canada
01-31-2009, 07:08 AM
But we would still have to pay him the bonus amount anyway. Plus, I heard today on Total Access that Roger Goddell is starting to do everything he can to make sure that they get a deal finalized and that 2010 will have a salary cap.

I know he will still get paid, I was just looking at a way of saving some cap space.

Bike
01-31-2009, 12:12 PM
I know he will still get paid, I was just looking at a way of saving some cap space.
You got plenty of cap space with that haircut!:bananen_smilies046:

Canada
01-31-2009, 12:38 PM
You got plenty of cap space with that haircut!:bananen_smilies046:

bwahahahaha...such a great comedian wasting away here on the crowd. Such a shame, you really should take that show on the road!!

BTW I am not bald, I am a solar powered sex machine!! :bananen_smilies083:

Bike
01-31-2009, 12:45 PM
bwahahahaha...such a great comedian wasting away here on the crowd. Such a shame, you really should take that show on the road!!

Nah. The only person that laughs at me is my wife.
No respect.
And the hell with LJ's cap hit. The way I see it we will be paying for Carls' screw-ups for years to come. I just hope Pioli gets 'em fixed sooner than later...

Canada
01-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Nah. The only person that laughs at me is my wife.
No respect.
And the hell with LJ's cap hit. The way I see it we will be paying for Carls' screw-ups for years to come. I just hope Pioli gets 'em fixed sooner than later...

That's not true, we all laugh at you!! :pointlaugh::hyper::hyper::hyper:

jmlamerson
01-31-2009, 04:06 PM

The big reason is salary. We're paying LJ about $8M this year. If we cut him, the cap hit is $12M. In essence, cutting LJ would only cost us an extra $4M this year as far as the cap is concerned. And then we're free of him - his salary wouldn't be on the books in 2010 and beyond if there is cap.

We have to figure whether saving $4M in 2009 cap space is equal to LJ's headache in the locker room and bad impact it might have on the team's morale to keep a guy who clearly wants out.

prough91
01-31-2009, 04:17 PM

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

^^^ He will testify!

Canada
01-31-2009, 06:21 PM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

^^^ I will testify!

Please, you aren't that tall!!

This is more like it!!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2009/01/22.jpg

prough91
01-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Why you always think I'm short? I'm not HH.

Canada
01-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Why you always think I'm short? I'm not HH.

that does not make u tall