PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsCrowd.com Article : Was the Shanahan story planted by the Chiefs organization?

Coach
01-27-2009, 12:43 AM
ChiefsCrowd.com - Written by Coach

Adam Schefter has been adamant that there is no deal imminent for Mike Shanahan to be the next coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. Adam Schefter has reportedly received his information from sources within the Denver Broncos organization and from Mike Shanahan directly.

However, ESPN's NFL Insider Chris Mortenson claims to have received initial information from his sources within the Chiefs organization that the Chiefs were very close to a deal with Mike Shanahan.

So, here's my question.

Do you think there is any chance that the Chiefs organization planted this story in the media to judge how it would be received by the media, the fans, and Mike Shanahan?

http://www.inthezone.org/media/images/guests-chris_mortensen.jpg

I find it very odd that Chris Mortenson could have been so wrong with this story. The leaking of this false story would help to explain the sudden about face that Chris Mortenson did on this story within only a few hours.

By leaking the news in the manner they did, the Chiefs organization was able to gain valuable reaction to the hiring of Mike Shanahan from key players such as Tony Gonzalez. The Chiefs were able to get the instant reaction of nearly every NFL analyst. Thousands of fans weighed in with their reactions on fan sites such as this Chiefs fansite (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/). By planting the story, the Chiefs organization was able to test the waters without actually extending an offer to a very controversial hire from a longtime rival.

Do you think this story could have been planted to judge the reaction from the fans, the critics, and possibly Shanahan himself?

Guru
01-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Technically, Mortensen is not wrong yet. Everything is just hearsay right now. PLUS, there are no QUOTES from Shanny saying anything is true one way or the other.

EDIT

Personally, I think the story has legs if for no other reason than the fact that everyone is denying it so emphatically right now. If it isn't true then why the press?

texaschief
01-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Read this:

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/1/24/735377/chris-mortensen-one-of-the

Guru
01-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Damn. That was a scorch job!!!!

texaschief
01-27-2009, 01:06 AM
I've just seen so many people railing against Shefter because he was raining on so many people's parade when it came to Shanahan. My guess is Mort spoke to someone who bought into the Denver report and just regurgetated it back to Mort. Mort is such a gossip queen and doesn't checkout any of his stories. He just throws a bunch of sh!t against the wall and hope some of it sticks.

Sn@keIze
01-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Read this:

Chris Mortensen: One Of The Worst Reporters In*Sports? - Arrowhead Pride (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/1/24/735377/chris-mortensen-one-of-the)
too much reading,...

but I will say Adam Schefters word from what I see on NFL Network everyday usually is quite accurate....so chances are, we arent getting shanahan, tho I wouldnt mind seeing him here.

theaxeeffect4311
01-27-2009, 05:06 AM
I've just seen so many people railing against Shefter because he was raining on so many people's parade when it came to Shanahan. My guess is Mort spoke to someone who bought into the Denver report and just regurgetated it back to Mort. Mort is such a gossip queen and doesn't checkout any of his stories. He just throws a bunch of sh!t against the wall and hope some of it sticks.

I have nothing against Shefter. And I'll admit that if Shanahan became the new head coach, I'd welcome him with open arms. The thing that got me about Shefter when it came to this story is that he took it personal. He made a comment about how the only he could be wrong about this story is if dear friends of his for many years were lying to him now. Anyone could question the way he responded to that rumor. I understand him wanting to show that he has allegiance with the Broncos and Shanahan, but I just want the news, not a soap opera.

Guru
01-27-2009, 05:31 AM
There also has not been word one out of Shannahan saying the rumor is wrong or right.

tornadospotter
01-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Was the Shanahan story planted by the Chiefs organization?

All this info or miss info, makes me wonder if a 00 agent is working, Guru?????:D :yahoo:

Nel Toille
01-27-2009, 01:25 PM
To be honest, I think Pioli is going to be notorious for pulling sneaky crap like this. I just have a gut feeling that the guy is up to some crazy scheme whenever I look at him. I like it. I mean, it's better than us coming out at the beginning of the season and publicly releasing our blueprints like we did last year. I hope other front offices start to fear us.

Chief4Ever&Ever
01-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Come on Chief fans! Shanahan is the enemy he will always be the enemy!! Don't want him anywhere near my team!! There are coaches out there that can lead us to a Super Bowl other than Shanny!!

Go Chiefs!!!!

N TX Dave
01-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Come on Chief fans! Shanahan is the enemy he will always be the enemy!! Don't want him anywhere near my team!! There are coaches out there that can lead us to a Super Bowl other than Shanny!!

Go Chiefs!!!!

I agree with you to a certain extent I don't like the rat but I think he is a good HC just not a good GM/HC which he had become. If Pioli wants him I want him, I trust Pioli until he proves he can't do it. I used to trust CP in the 80's but then the league passed him by and he was past his prime.

Sn@keIze
01-27-2009, 09:43 PM

Go Chiefs!!!!
I appreciate a fan who hate other AFC West opponents.

But now we must put our prejudice aside..hes not a Donk anymore..

Did the Raiders say we dont want Rich Gannon, the Donks Neil Smith or the Chargers say no to Shottenheimer? players or Coaches, .. the point is, if they are good and proven why not take it.

Its all probly mute anyway as we arent likely to get him, but think this offseason couldnt go better if we landed Pioli and Shanny.

prough91
01-27-2009, 09:49 PM
I appreciate a fan who hate other AFC West opponents.

Did the Raiders say we dont want Rich Gannon, the Donks Neil Smith or the Chargers say no to Shottenheimer? players or Coaches, .. the point is, if they are good and proven why not take it.

The organizations did sign them, but I bet their fans were say, "NO, HE'S THE ENEMY!!!"

Chiefster
01-27-2009, 10:19 PM
I just think it was a rumor that somehow grew legs in the media.

Chiefster
01-27-2009, 10:20 PM
The organizations did sign them, but I bet their fans were say, "NO, HE'S THE ENEMY!!!"

Another prough91 sighting!

prough91
01-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Another prough91 sighting!

I need to become more elusive. You keep catching me.

Chiefster
01-27-2009, 10:32 PM
I need to become more elusive. You keep catching me.

Your sig has me hypnotized ans is starting to make me dizzy.

prough91
01-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Your sig has me hypnotized ans is starting to make me dizzy.

Thats a side effect of the little blue pill, isn't it?

Chiefster
01-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Thats a side effect of the little blue pill, isn't it?

Yeah, I should have taken the red one.

spiman
01-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Why fire a coach without having 1 in the wings ready to sign? Still I do not like the firing Of Herm for reasons I have posted back in the day...

Guru
01-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Was the Shanahan story planted by the Chiefs organization?

All this info or miss info, makes me wonder if a 00 agent is working, Guru?????:D :yahoo:
why whatever are you talking about.:funnypost:

Guru
01-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I should have taken the red one.
So you prefer pepsi over coke now?:D

Hayvern
01-28-2009, 01:56 AM
I have to say that I am not too keen on this particular conspiracy theory. If the Chiefs did leak this to find out the reaction, what did they learn from it? Certainly there are easier ways to poll the players on the team without burning a potential bridge with the coach you are gossipping about.

Fans and Media are as fickle as a 16 year old virgin, since when did management really care what the fans thought and the media, they report and analyze, but more often than not they are dead wrong stuff anyway.

I would say that IF there is a conspiracy, then the conspiracy really was that they leaked Shanny's name in order to get the attention off of Haley so as to not violate league rules for making a deal with him prior to the Super Bowl. What better way to correct the damage of Haley's name being leaked than to leak another big name and throw the hounds off just about the time that Haley was saying he is not going to go anywhere.

Hayvern
01-28-2009, 01:59 AM
Why fire a coach without having 1 in the wings ready to sign? Still I do not like the firing Of Herm for reasons I have posted back in the day...

Eh, I think they have one, I just don't think they can announce it yet. Haley said what he had to say in order to make sure that his team was not distracted before the big game.

I really do believe they have someone in mind and probably already have a deal made with them, I believe this because they really have not annouced anyone they are interviewing as yet.

theaxeeffect4311
01-28-2009, 02:23 AM

I would like to hear these reasons of why you do not think Herm should have been fired.

spiman
01-29-2009, 12:05 AM
I would like to hear these reasons of why you do not think Herm should have been fired.

Spend on free agency for 1: Herm has 1 yr left He still gets paid--Wasted $$$ and you need more? :bananen_smilies046: That is beer money for 2..:yahoo:

theaxeeffect4311
01-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Spend on free agency for 1: Herm has 1 yr left He still gets paid--Wasted $$$ and you need more? :bananen_smilies046: That is beer money for 2..:yahoo:

Herm being on or off the team has nothing to do with the Chiefs spending money in free agency. Yeah, Herm gets paid for that last year, but was not likely to be re-signed. So why continue the direction Herm was going instead of instituting a new one now (which the team does need a new direction) when the timing would allow for the blame to not fall on one person.

spiman
01-29-2009, 12:25 AM
New coach sounds like rebuild Like TG said Organization money not spent on free agency.. I am from tha money state..Mizzu has what? Deeep pockets?

jmlamerson
01-29-2009, 01:42 PM

You are aware that doesn't make any sense, right?

That a coach's salary doesn't impact a team's salary cap?

hometeam
01-29-2009, 03:06 PM
New coach sounds like rebuild Like TG said Organization money not spent on free agency.. I am from tha money state..Mizzu has what? Deeep pockets?

The coachs salary has no impact on the cap. So herms firing has nothing to do with money not being able to be spent in FA

And think about it. By canning Herm I bet the Chiefs make MORE than 4 million in revenue, making up for the soft hit of his salary. Not only that, if you think the Chiefs or Mr. Hunt didnt have the 4 million to waste(if you can call it waste, since keeping him and paying it would have been the real waste) you aren't paying attention~

spiman
01-29-2009, 11:33 PM
You are aware that doesn't make any sense, right?

That a coach's salary doesn't impact a team's salary cap?

$$$ wasted period.. Free agentcy= $$:wheelchair: :sign0153:

spiman
01-29-2009, 11:41 PM
The coachs salary has no impact on the cap. So herms firing has nothing to do with money not being able to be spent in FA

And think about it. By canning Herm I bet the Chiefs make MORE than 4 million in revenue, making up for the soft hit of his salary. Not only that, if you think the Chiefs or Mr. Hunt didnt have the 4 million to waste(if you can call it waste, since keeping him and paying it would have been the real waste) you aren't paying attention~
Look at the cards this weekend..Greene gets no credit on what he envisioned like Herm. A rebuild team seems to take-I think 4 years. Now a new coach will want his agenda..The players liked Herm--Well some..Jared Allen could not wait to run otta KC. All the Haters got their wish. Not me:nnn:

tornadospotter
01-30-2009, 12:19 AM
Spi, I also liked Herm, but not as a head coach. I think he is a great coach, just not a head coach, in the NFL!

spiman
01-31-2009, 01:38 AM
Not on tha same pg,, Seee how much Green gets this weekend.. When Cards win...