PDA

View Full Version : Trading Thigpen!!!!

balto
01-27-2009, 10:26 AM
I read on another forum about an idea to trade away Thigpen and get like the Lions 20th pick!!!!

I was just wondering what you guys think his value is and what we could get out of him? If people are saying it would take our 3rd overall to get Cassel I would think Thigpen could get us a mid 1st rounder as well don't ya think?

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 10:31 AM
I read on another forum about an idea to trade away Thigpen and get like the Lions 20th pick!!!!

I was just wondering what you guys think his value is and what we could get out of him? If people are saying it would take our 3rd overall to get Cassel I would think Thigpen could get us a mid 1st rounder as well don't ya think?

You can't really believe that, can you?

At best, we might get a 5th rounder from a team like Tennessee or Carolina, who would want a young QB as a backup to an aging starter. No one is trading for Thigpen to run their team.

KCCAT21
01-27-2009, 10:42 AM

At best, we might get a 5th rounder from a team like Tennessee or Carolina, who would want a young QB as a backup to an aging starter. No one is trading for Thigpen to run their team.

I agree with JM. :11:

honda522
01-27-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't think any team will really want him, he is not quite proven yet. Tho, I am sure the Viks would rather have him over Jackson anyday!

balto
01-27-2009, 11:12 AM
What do you think Cassel is worth? I think Thigpen is a TON better then Cassel myself. Of course I wouldn't give a 7th for Cassel but thats just me hehehe

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 12:03 PM
What do you think Cassel is worth? I think Thigpen is a TON better then Cassel myself. Of course I wouldn't give a 7th for Cassel but thats just me hehehe

Cassel is worth a lot more than Thigpen because he won 11 games this year, had great stats, was mentored by Bill Belichek, and played in a pro-style offense.

Thigpen isn't worth a lot because he won 1 game this year, had so-so stats (especially completion %), was mentored by Herm Edwards, and played in a college-style offense.

Cassel, at worst, would demand a high 2nd round, low 1st round pick.

Thigpen, at best, would demand a 5th rounder.

balto
01-27-2009, 12:06 PM
And its funny, I would sooo much rather have thigpen over Cassel.

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 12:12 PM
And its funny, I would sooo much rather have thigpen over Cassel.

Maybe, but you're pretty alone in that. Cassel looks to have the better arm and better accuracy. It isn't worth what it would take to trade for him, not when we have so many holes to fill using the draft, but if Cassel were a FA, we'd be nuts not to try to sign him.

Nel Toille
01-27-2009, 12:25 PM
first we steal their Super Bowl victory then their future franchise quarterback. MWAHAHAHA. You could rebuttal by saying they stole our star DE but they had to spend a record amount of money on him so I'd hardly call it a steal.

Nel Toille
01-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Maybe, but you're pretty alone in that.
that's what you think
Trade Idea - Page 2 - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6767&page=2)
Seems to me that YOU'RE alone in wanting to take him.
Why would you want Cassel for millions of dollars when we have a QB that many believe is just as good for less than six-figures? Just because Cassel's numbers are a little better doesn't mean he's a better QB.
Thigpen played in a few more pointless games than Cassel, bringing his numbers down a bit. For example, the game against Atlanta when he was still a third stringer with no motivation knowing he wasn't going to be the starter and the last game at Cincy where the entire team gave up before he had a chance to throw one pass. You also have to take into consideration that Cassel played on a much better team than Thigpen did. I'm not quite sold on people saying Thigpen isn't very accurate because I think you should attribute a good number of his missfires and interceptions on the recievers. Outside of Bowe and Gonzo, we have some of the worst recievers in the league. I guarantee you that Wes Welker alone made Matt Cassel look a hell of a lot more accurate than Thigpen.

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 01:08 PM
that's what you think
Trade Idea - Page 2 - Kansas City Chiefs Forums (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6767&page=2)
Seems to me that YOU'RE alone in wanting to take him.
Why would you want Cassel for millions of dollars when we have a QB that many believe is just as good for less than six-figures? Just because Cassel's numbers are a little better doesn't mean he's a better QB.
Thigpen played in a few more pointless games than Cassel, bringing his numbers down a bit. For example, the game against Atlanta when he was still a third stringer with no motivation knowing he wasn't going to be the starter and the last game at Cincy where the entire team gave up before he had a chance to throw one pass. You also have to take into consideration that Cassel played on a much better team than Thigpen did. I'm not quite sold on people saying Thigpen isn't very accurate because I think you should attribute a good number of his missfires and interceptions on the recievers. Outside of Bowe and Gonzo, we have some of the worst recievers in the league. I guarantee you that Wes Welker alone made Matt Cassel look a hell of a lot more accurate than Thigpen.

Look, we're all a bit of homers here. And I know that we all want Thigpen to succeed in 2009. But outside massive Chiefs fans, you won't find anyone debating Thigpen v. Cassel. Cassel had a much better supporting cast and coaching - very true. But his numbers were positively Brady-esque, and he's young enough that we'd be crazy not to try for him if he's a FA.

We know Cassel can be a winning QB with a good supporting cast. We don't know that about Thigpen. Add to this that Thigpen seemed to fall apart in the 2nd halves of games, he's never played well in a pro-style offense, and there are severe questions about his accuracy, it's a no-brainer.

I like Thigpen. He did everything last season that he possibly could given our terrible OL and position players (except Bowe, Tony G., and Bradley). And I'd rather start him in 2009 than trade picks for Cassel or draft a rookie. But in no way, shape, or form has Thigpen shown that he's a guy who will win 11 games a year.

N TX Dave
01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
No way is someone going to give a 1st round pick for TT. Don't get me wrong I like him but he has not done enouth to warrant a 1st. He was a 3rd round pick and won how many games as a starter? If he is worth a 1st we should keep him who else do we have, it's not like we have Tom Brady in waiting so right now TT is the best we have but still not worth a 1st.

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 01:46 PM
No way is someone going to give a 1st round pick for TT. Don't get me wrong I like him but he has not done enouth to warrant a 1st. He was a 3rd round pick and won how many games as a starter? If he is worth a 1st we should keep him who else do we have, it's not like we have Tom Brady in waiting so right now TT is the best we have but still not worth a 1st.

Tyler Thigpen wasn't a 3rd round pick (you're thinking of Brodie Croyle). Thigpen was selected in the 7th round by the Vikings, was cut, and then we picked him up on waivers.

N TX Dave
01-27-2009, 01:54 PM

I agree with you 100%. Whereas someone will trade for or pick up Cassel to run their team for good or bad.

theaxeeffect4311
01-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Look, we're all a bit of homers here. And I know that we all want Thigpen to succeed in 2009. But outside massive Chiefs fans, you won't find anyone debating Thigpen v. Cassel. Cassel had a much better supporting cast and coaching - very true. But his numbers were positively Brady-esque, and he's young enough that we'd be crazy not to try for him if he's a FA.

We know Cassel can be a winning QB with a good supporting cast. We don't know that about Thigpen. Add to this that Thigpen seemed to fall apart in the 2nd halves of games, he's never played well in a pro-style offense, and there are severe questions about his accuracy, it's a no-brainer.

I like Thigpen. He did everything last season that he possibly could given our terrible OL and position players (except Bowe, Tony G., and Bradley). And I'd rather start him in 2009 than trade picks for Cassel or draft a rookie. But in no way, shape, or form has Thigpen shown that he's a guy who will win 11 games a year.

I think you are overhyping Cassel though. Even if Cassel was a free agent, I don't think the Chiefs make a move at him. The only thing that makes Cassel look good is he is a good size for a NFL QB (6'4" 230 lbs) and have good speed to move around in the pocket. Cassel made just about as many bad throws as Thigpen. The pass Cassel threw to Randy Moss in the Jets game to take the game into overtime was terrible. He is lucky that Moss has magic fingers to pull in a pass like that. Ok, that is a much to say that Cassel did as bad as Thigpen, but Cassel had a better head coach, OC, and QB coach to learn from. Give that to Thigpen and Thigpen would look good behind that Patriots team anyday. We saw the transformation that Cassel went through in the season. He did not start that great. I would have to think that once Cassel leaves the Patriots, he will not do as well. We'll see him regress into the player he was at the beginning of the season.

balto
01-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by jmlamerson http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114990#post114990)

Cassel only looked "OK" with a good supporting cast!!! He is not a winner

Tom Brady took the pats to a Undefeated Season!!!!

Cassel could not even get the Pats to the Playoffs!!!!!!!

Cassel SUCKS!!!!! Thigpen SUCK!!!!!

BUT

Thigpen > Cassel

hometeam
01-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Maybe, but you're pretty alone in that. Cassel looks to have the better arm and better accuracy. It isn't worth what it would take to trade for him, not when we have so many holes to fill using the draft, but if Cassel were a FA, we'd be nuts not to try to sign him.

We would be nuts to try and sign him. I'm tired of hearing his name come out of Chiefs fans mouths. He is not the answer for our team.

stevo1020
01-27-2009, 03:01 PM
For one, if you trade for Cassell then that means he has signed their franchise tag and that would be two first round picks that you have to give up to sign him. I don't think Pioli would do that. So my answer to the qb situation would be to retain Thigpen and go after another qb in free agency(one like Byron Leftwich) and maybe one later in the draft if that scenario pans out. If they don't franchise Cassell, then try to bring him in and still keep Thigpen and have a open competition for them.

chief31
01-27-2009, 03:03 PM
For one, if you trade for Cassell then that means he has signed their franchise tag and that would be two first round picks that you have to give up to sign him. I don't think Pioli would do that. So my answer to the qb situation would be to retain Thigpen and go after another qb in free agency(one like Byron Leftwich) and maybe one later in the draft if that scenario pans out. If they don't franchise Cassell, then try to bring him in and still keep Thigpen and have a open competition for them.

The Vikings managed to trade for Jared Allen without him having signed his franchise offer.

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Cassel only looked "OK" with a good supporting cast!!! He is not a winner

Tom Brady took the pats to a Undefeated Season!!!!

Cassel could not even get the Pats to the Playoffs!!!!!!!

Cassel SUCKS!!!!! Thigpen SUCK!!!!!

BUT

Thigpen > Cassel

Tom Brady in his first season with the Pats was 24 years old, had a 63.9% completion rate, threw for 2849 yards, 18 TDs and 12 INTs. His passer rating was 86.5. The Pats went 11-5.

Matt Cassel in his first season with the Pats was 26 years old, had a 63.4% completion rate, threw for 3693 yards, 21 TDs and 11 INTs. His passer rating was 89.4. The Pats went 11-5.

Tyler Thigpen in his first season with the Chiefs was 24 years old, had a 54.8% completion rate, threw for 2608 yards, 18 TDs and 12 INTs. His passer rating was 76.0. The Chiefs went 2-14. Thigpen went 1-10.

Thigpen showed a lot of heart and some skill this season. But anyone who says Thigpen's better than Cassel needs to watch more football.

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 03:22 PM

No, that's not the rule. It's only two 1sts if the Chiefs tender an offer, Thigpen accepts, and the Pats decline to match. If the Pats want to trade a tagged Cassel for less, they are within their rights to do so.

Seek
01-27-2009, 04:15 PM

No he isn't alone. I figure if you switched Thigpen with Cassel last year, and let Thigpen play for the Pats, things would look better for Tyler.

Do you guys recall how stagnant this offense was before Tyler came out against Tampa. The team as a whole was looking worse that Detroit. The only reason the team was competitive was because Thigpen was making Chicken Salad out of Chicken poop...

I don't want Cassel, specially with his price tag.

Seek
01-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Tom Brady in his first season with the Pats was 24 years old, had a 63.9% completion rate, threw for 2849 yards, 18 TDs and 12 INTs. His passer rating was 86.5. The Pats went 11-5.

Matt Cassel in his first season with the Pats was 26 years old, had a 63.4% completion rate, threw for 3693 yards, 21 TDs and 11 INTs. His passer rating was 89.4. The Pats went 11-5.

Tyler Thigpen in his first season with the Chiefs was 24 years old, had a 54.8% completion rate, threw for 2608 yards, 18 TDs and 12 INTs. His passer rating was 76.0. The Chiefs went 2-14. Thigpen went 1-10.

Thigpen showed a lot of heart and some skill this season. But anyone who says Thigpen's better than Cassel needs to watch more football.

It is a team sport. Anyone who is even comparing a QB on a Superbowl caliber team compared to the Crappy Chiefs needs to watch more football, and probably take a logic pill.

theaxeeffect4311
01-27-2009, 04:24 PM

Alright, more football then.

Tom Brady's first year starting was 2001. He started 14 games, played in 15. His supporting cast consisted of Troy Brown and David Patten as wide receivers (no consistent TE that season) and Kevin Faulk and Antowain Smith rushing.

Matt Cassel. Started 15 games, played in 16. His supporting case consisted of Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Jabar Gaffney, and Ben Watson. Running backs were in and out this season, however, the Patriots finished with the sixth best rushing offense this season.

Tyler Thigpen. Started 11 games. Played in 14. You know his supporting cast of Bowe, Gonzalez, and Johnson/Charles. The Chiefs finished with the 16th best rushing offense.

So when you break it down, yes, Cassel did better. Was it easier for him? Yes. Does that make him better than Thigpen? Hard to say, but I'm going to say no because he did not show me anything that said he was better than Thigpen. Thigpen did show me that he is inconsistent and needs to refine some of his throws. What QB doesn't need a little fine tuning.

To get Cassel, we would have to sign him long term. With Thigpen, we sign him to a backup's salary. If Thigpen does not turn out, we can draft a new QB in 2010. If Cassel does not turn out to be a good QB, then we're stuck with him because his cap figure will be as bad as LJ's.

N TX Dave
01-27-2009, 06:19 PM
You can not compare TT to MC because they did not have the same team around them i.e. OL, WR if TT had more than 2 seconds to throw he may have had a higher completion % you can't say. Also if he had Moss and Welker catching instead of dropping again he could have been better. Not talking about the DEF keeping the team in the game unlike ours and I am not even going into the difference in the coaches. It is like compairing apples to oranges you can't do it.

Coach
01-27-2009, 06:32 PM

I Agree. Thigpen would not warrant a Day 1 pick. Oh by the way, we're not really in a position to be trading away QB's.

Look, we're all a bit of homers here. And I know that we all want Thigpen to succeed in 2009. But outside massive Chiefs fans, you won't find anyone debating Thigpen v. Cassel.

If you take off your Chiefs blinders, you'd have to agree that nobody in this league would choose Thigpen over Cassell at this point in their careers. I like Thigpen, but right now they aren't held in the same regard.

So my answer to the qb situation would be to retain Thigpen and go after another qb in free agency(one like Byron Leftwich) and maybe one later in the draft if that scenario pans out.

I like that idea. I was kind of surprised that we didn't go after Leftwich last year. Probably because we had Sakintosh at RT. If I recall, Leftwich is left-handed. So we could use a 3rd rounder to protect his backside by picking up a RT. Possibly someone like Loadholt. If we could land Alex Mack in the 2nd, then suddenly things would be coming together.

hardcorechiefsfan
01-27-2009, 06:38 PM

I agree because Thiggie is a one win wonder.

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 11:23 PM
If you take off your Chiefs blinders, you'd have to agree that nobody in this league would choose Thigpen over Cassell at this point in their careers. I like Thigpen, but right now they aren't held in the same regard.

Yeah. I know. That's what I was saying.

texaschief
01-27-2009, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't take Cassell over Thigpen for THIS particular team. Cassell isn't mobile enough to stay alive behind this O-line.

The problem with mock drafts (and I'm guilty of it too) is that they only look good if they're addressing team needs. But the consensus seems to be that you draft the best available player and only draft for need if the best available player happens to fill a need. So to say drafting a center or guard or LB in the second round is all fine and good, but it seems like the best drafting teams just take the best player available. If the Chiefs stick to that model, there's no way we're even looking at a QB at #3 and we're probably going with Thigpen under center in 2009.

theaxeeffect4311
01-28-2009, 02:57 AM
I Agree. Thigpen would not warrant a Day 1 pick. Oh by the way, we're not really in a position to be trading away QB's.

I like that idea. I was kind of surprised that we didn't go after Leftwich last year. Probably because we had Sakintosh at RT. If I recall, Leftwich is left-handed. So we could use a 3rd rounder to protect his backside by picking up a RT. Possibly someone like Loadholt. If we could land Alex Mack in the 2nd, then suddenly things would be coming together.

This is no longer a discussion of whether who will be the Chiefs QB. I think everyone assumes it will be Thigpen because of cost and draft picks. But no one said that a team would choose Cassel over Thigpen. As fans, yeah, we choose Thigpen over Cassel. But when you look at Cassel, it is hard to give him credit for anything he did. Because of the team around him, people think that Cassel is great, but they are just blinded without looking at the facts.

And Byron Leftwich is right-handed. But it is a common mistake probably because of his name.

prough91
01-28-2009, 10:28 AM
And Byron Leftwich is right-handed. But it is a common mistake probably because of his name.

But he bats left handed.:punk:

texaschief
01-28-2009, 10:20 PM

:lol: is that REALLY a "common mistake?" LMAO

hermhater
01-30-2009, 02:00 AM
Don't trade Thigpen.

He will be a franchise QB someday, I hope it's for the Chiefs.

texaschief
01-30-2009, 02:18 AM
Don't trade Thigpen.

He will be a franchise QB someday, I hope it's for the Chiefs.

Really? Would you care to elaborate?

N TX Dave
01-30-2009, 09:09 AM

He believes he will be good is no different than you believing he won't why do either of you have to elaborate it is your opinions is all so people should take it for what it is worth. I personally think if he had an OL and running game he might be a good QB not sure if he will be great though but only time will tell.

dbolan
01-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Thigpen is 6'3" and 220 with a good arm and very good mobility. His college stats were pretty good even though it was a small college. He improved as the year progressed. As our O Line gets better, so will he.

Why even bother with Cassell when he is no better than Thigpen?

dbolan
01-30-2009, 10:17 AM
PS- He scored a 21 on the Wonderlic as well...So he is not a dumb arse like one well known Titan QB! LMAO

Bike
01-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Not really. Got somebody else in mind?

yashi
01-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Thigpen is 6'3" and 220 with a good arm and very good mobility. His college stats were pretty good even though it was a small college. He improved as the year progressed. As our O Line gets better, so will he.

I'm a Thigpen fan, but.. for me I thought he actually looked worse as the season progressed. His best game was his 1st start in the spread: 25-36 280 yds 2 TDs 0 INTs.

The completion % towards the end of the year is what bothered me the most. he was right around 50% most games. I think he really needs to work on his accuracy. I saw a lot of balls that should have been picked off, so his INTs are somewhat deceiving for me.

Don't get me wrong though, I like Thigpen a lot. His ability to scramble and pick up 1st downs on plays where most QBs would end up being sacked for a loss is a huge advantage. I also think that his accuracy will improve as he gains experience, and adding a possession receiver would help too. All the D-Bowe drops this year sure didn't help. We need a Welker/Housh type of guy on the team.

hermhater
01-30-2009, 01:28 PM
He's a VERY young QB.

Give him time and an some kind of O line.

theaxeeffect4311
01-30-2009, 02:21 PM

First, Thigpen is only 6'1"

I will say this. If any team shows a good enough trade for Thigpen, I think we should take it. I have been thinking about this since this thread started, and while it's not realistic we get a first round, if we are offered something more than Thigpen's worth, we should take it. I have been on the bandwagon saying Thigpen deserves to be the starting QB next season. The hard part is to know if who will offer something for him and what they will offer. I think if any team offers a second round, which is a stretch, that is a no brainer. I like Thigpen, but he is replaceable. He may turn into a good QB, but it probably won't be under our staff. He needs a good QB coach who can teach him better than we can. If we traded him off, I think we still skip on QB this year. We'll just use Croyle and Gray for the season and draft one next year when the team is built up.

Bike
01-30-2009, 02:49 PM
No dice. Outside of Thig, we don't have a qb on this roster that can last a couple games or win a couple games. If Thig gets traded, he WILL have to be replaced THIS year...IMO.

Chief4Ever&Ever
01-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Thiggy has some great attributes and he has some downfalls. He can scramble when needed and he has a nice arm. He does however have accuracy problems which could possibly improve with a better O line.

The real question is - Do we think he can lead us to a Super Bowl. Can he put the team on his back and carry them?

I doubt it....

N TX Dave
01-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Thiggy has some great attributes and he has some downfalls. He can scramble when needed and he has a nice arm. He does however have accuracy problems which could possibly improve with a better O line.

The real question is - Do we think he can lead us to a Super Bowl. Can he put the team on his back and carry them?

I doubt it....

Either Manning much less Casell could not lead THIS team to the SB! I think TT if the rest of the team was good could and good coaching get a team to the SB but that is just me.

prough91
01-31-2009, 05:05 PM

I doubt it....

It's hard to be accurate when you're running your a$$ off from the defense. Everyone go back to look. Most of the time he wasn't throwing on the run by choice.

slc chief
01-31-2009, 05:09 PM
thigpen does not have close to that in value.we have no option but to sit on thigpen and see what kind of player he will be. wich is the smart move anyway as far as cassell i think he is totaly fine with being a backup behind brady after listening to him on the jim rome show yesterday

jb908
01-31-2009, 05:21 PM
KEEP THIGPEN... The receivers all love him and there the ones catching the passes... Well the ones that don't drop balls at least. and personally I wouldn't even trade him straight up for Cassel. Yea, Cassel played good this year but come on, I could throw touchdown passes to Moss all day long with the time they give him. I like going into training camp with thig and croyle. Even though Croyle gets hurt every 4 plays that he is in I think he is still promising and could very well be one of the best back ups in the league. Next to Damon Huard of course. They saw enough potential in him to go into two seasons in a row with him as the starter so it can't hurt to fall back on him this year if Thig can't hack it. it's not like this team is looking to go to the super bowl this coming year. All of us on here would just love to see them play a week after the season ends and i think Thig can do that... It's just up to the rest of the team.

johnNYchief
01-31-2009, 07:21 PM
Cassel is worth a lot more than Thigpen because he won 11 games this year, had great stats, was mentored by Bill Belichek, and played in a pro-style offense.

Thigpen isn't worth a lot because he won 1 game this year, had so-so stats (especially completion %), was mentored by Herm Edwards, and played in a college-style offense.

Cassel, at worst, would demand a high 2nd round, low 1st round pick.

Thigpen, at best, would demand a 5th rounder.

I agree with this 100%. To me Thigpen's ceiling is the best backup in the league. He would be perfect in that role .If your starter goes down,staying out of harm's way a Thigpen strength would come in handy.
People always say Cassel had it made because of talent around him but you still have to get the job done and he did.
I believe through his choice of HC Pioli will be installing a more conventional offense.

prough91
01-31-2009, 07:47 PM
I agree with this 100%. To me Thigpen's ceiling is the best backup in the league. He would be perfect in that role .If your starter goes down,staying out of harm's way a Thigpen strength would come in handy.
People always say Cassel had it made because of talent around him but you still have to get the job done and he did.
I believe through his choice of HC Pioli will be installing a more conventional offense.

I respectfully disagree. I don't see how anyone can accurately evaluate Thigpen until he has a little time to throw the ball.

jap1
01-31-2009, 08:05 PM

The nice thing is that Gailey (it seems like Pioli wants to keep him as OC) is better known for his power running offense than his passing offense.

yashi
02-01-2009, 10:42 AM
It's funny that you consider his ceiling to be the best backup in the league, when he was easily a top 15 starting QB last season.

Seek
02-03-2009, 08:17 AM
No dice. Outside of Thig, we don't have a qb on this roster that can last a couple games or win a couple games. If Thig gets traded, he WILL have to be replaced THIS year...IMO.

Don't forget that we signed Gray. He is durable and has won games in the NFL.

balto
02-03-2009, 08:56 AM
And my main man Croyle WOOT WOOT

prough91
02-03-2009, 10:20 AM
It's funny that you consider his ceiling to be the best backup in the league, when he was easily a top 15 starting QB last season.

I got this from fantasyfootball.com

Top 14 Fantasy Quarterbacks for 2009

1) Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
Brees was clearly the top FF quarterback this year with 34 touchdown passes and a near record 5069 yards passing. More importantly for us, he plays for a coach who has some gunslinger in him and has excellent receivers. I see no reason why Brees would not be the top scoring QB again next year.

2) Jay Cutler, Denver Broncos
Cutler was second in FF ppg this year with 21.61 points per week. In addition, all three of his 25+point games were 30+ point games. The one thing I would be wary of with most quarterbacks is their upcoming changes at HC and staff but I don’t see a new coach trying to reel in one of if not the strongest young arm in the league….and one who has Brandon Marshall to throw to – hopefully for all sixteen games.

3) Tom Brady/Matt Cassel, New England
Yes, the hedge because we don’t know if Brady will be healthy enough to play next year but reports are that the Patriots will franchise tag Cassel thus giving them options. Either signal caller throwing to Randy Moss and Wes Welker rates to be a Top 5 FF quarterback in 2009 (Cassel was 7th this season).

4) Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
Rodgers seems to be forgotten about when talking about the top FF quarterbacks this season, largely because the Packers were so unsuccessful. But with 28 touchdown passes and over 4,000 yards passing he was a successful QB for us and should be next year too.

5) Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts
Clearly Peyton was slowed at the beginning of the 2008 season, yet he still finished up with 27 touchdown passes and 4,000 yards passing. He will NOT be slow to start the 2009 season, so bet on him remaining an elite quarterback.

6) Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers
Yes Rivers did in fact finish fourth in FF scoring in 2008, but I don’t think he will have to throw as much next year, so the TD passes may drop a little. Easily a Top 10 pick for 2009 though.

7) Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
For Cowboy fans and people who took Romo too early last September, there may have been some disappointment, but he was still a solid FF quarterback and will no doubt have just as many chances in 2009.

8) Tyler Thigpen, Kansas City Chiefs
For many FF teams, Thigpen was a HUGE needle in the free agent haystack. If you didn’t roster him….or play against him in Week 16, you may not have realized that he was QB #11 averaging 17.55 points per game in the fourteen games he played. With 2008’s experience and a full training camp as the starter, Thigpen WILL be a Top 10 FF quarterback in 2009 (assuming they don’t trade Tony Gonzalez)

Not too shabby, eh?

yashi
02-03-2009, 12:07 PM
I got this from fantasyfootball.com

Top 14 Fantasy Quarterbacks for 2009

1) Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
Brees was clearly the top FF quarterback this year with 34 touchdown passes and a near record 5069 yards passing. More importantly for us, he plays for a coach who has some gunslinger in him and has excellent receivers. I see no reason why Brees would not be the top scoring QB again next year.

2) Jay Cutler, Denver Broncos
Cutler was second in FF ppg this year with 21.61 points per week. In addition, all three of his 25+point games were 30+ point games. The one thing I would be wary of with most quarterbacks is their upcoming changes at HC and staff but I don’t see a new coach trying to reel in one of if not the strongest young arm in the league….and one who has Brandon Marshall to throw to – hopefully for all sixteen games.

3) Tom Brady/Matt Cassel, New England
Yes, the hedge because we don’t know if Brady will be healthy enough to play next year but reports are that the Patriots will franchise tag Cassel thus giving them options. Either signal caller throwing to Randy Moss and Wes Welker rates to be a Top 5 FF quarterback in 2009 (Cassel was 7th this season).

4) Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
Rodgers seems to be forgotten about when talking about the top FF quarterbacks this season, largely because the Packers were so unsuccessful. But with 28 touchdown passes and over 4,000 yards passing he was a successful QB for us and should be next year too.

5) Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts
Clearly Peyton was slowed at the beginning of the 2008 season, yet he still finished up with 27 touchdown passes and 4,000 yards passing. He will NOT be slow to start the 2009 season, so bet on him remaining an elite quarterback.

6) Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers
Yes Rivers did in fact finish fourth in FF scoring in 2008, but I don’t think he will have to throw as much next year, so the TD passes may drop a little. Easily a Top 10 pick for 2009 though.

7) Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
For Cowboy fans and people who took Romo too early last September, there may have been some disappointment, but he was still a solid FF quarterback and will no doubt have just as many chances in 2009.

8) Tyler Thigpen, Kansas City Chiefs
For many FF teams, Thigpen was a HUGE needle in the free agent haystack. If you didn’t roster him….or play against him in Week 16, you may not have realized that he was QB #11 averaging 17.55 points per game in the fourteen games he played. With 2008’s experience and a full training camp as the starter, Thigpen WILL be a Top 10 FF quarterback in 2009 (assuming they don’t trade Tony Gonzalez)

Not too shabby, eh?

Yeah, believe me I know his fantasy value. He guided me to a 2nd place finish in my money league. :) But I'll be the first to admit his fantasy value was higher than his overall value as an NFL QB. I doubt many people think Aaron Rodgers, Cutler, or Cassel were better QBs than Manning last year.

Point still proven. Spread offense or not, he was an average at worst starting QB last season.

This thread is silly on so many levels.