PDA

View Full Version : Is Curry worth No.3 overall?

KottkeKU
01-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Plain and simple....is he or isnt he worth the no.3 overall pick in the upcming 2009 nfl draft...

i would rather have Maualuga at 12-15

balto
01-27-2009, 04:15 PM
YES, but I would rather take Maualuga over Curry SOOO I guess you could say BOTH Curry and Maualuga are worth the 3rd overall pick.

I am with you on trading down and still getting Maualuga, but I might wanna do it with say the Jags or a team closer to 10th. I just think Maualuga will go no later then 12th and I would hate to take a chance hehehe. PLUS in a lot of Mocks they have the Jags taking a LT SOO maybe they would want to trade up to get one of the 3 stud LT's /shrug

theaxeeffect4311
01-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Plain and simple....is he or isnt he worth the no.3 overall pick in the upcming 2009 nfl draft...

I think Curry could be worth the third overall. However, my question on the guy is his speed. Everyone talks about Maualuga having great sideline to sideline speed. I do not hear that so much about Curry. I hear he is a playmaker, but if he does not have the speed, then third may be a little high for him. That is my assessment on him. As far as the rest of Curry's game, he looks great. Good tackling, coverage, skill/talent, reaction. All good.

Seek
01-27-2009, 04:51 PM
I would rather have Curry over Maualuga... I am reluctant to draft another player who looks like a stud with a defense full of studs. The question then becomes does he make the player around him better or are they making him look better. Such was the case with Ryan Sims, Tank Tyler, and possibly Dorsey.

It is more obvious that Curry is making the plays with less help that Maualuga.

That being said, I think O line is better and I wouldn't take either using the 3rd.

balto
01-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Aaron Curry
Height: 6-3. Weight: 241.
Projected Projected 40 Time: 4.58.

Rey Maualuga
Height: 6-3. Weight: 254.
Projected 40 Time: 4.68.

James Laurinaitis
Height: 6-3. Weight: 243.
Projected 40 Time: 4.54.

These are the Top three LB's in the draft. As you can see Maualuga has the size NOW for the NFL while the others could use a few pounds to play middle.

BUT with that size Rey looses some speed as you can see the other two guys are about the same.

Some people say Curry could play MLB in the NFL, but I really think he is a true OLB from watching him play and his size. We need a MLB more then a OLB and I feel Maualuga would give us the better value in player vs need.

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 05:54 PM

Plain and simple . . . NO!

I like Curry, but 3 is way to high to pick a LB. When was the last time one was taken in the top-5? LeVar Arrington?

We need LBs very desperately, but we need a lot of things desperately. Almost no LB is worth the high salary associated with a top-5 pick. I'd rather take a chance on Orakpo than draft Curry.

We should just play it safe, get a great LT, and try to fix our LB problems through FA or in the later rounds.

Coach
01-27-2009, 06:21 PM
I'd rather take a chance on Orakpo than draft Curry.

That is a gamble. Take a guy like Orapko that is a gamble at DE and pay him Top 3 money. Or get a LB like Curry that will is much more likely to succeed. I understand the dilemna, but I think I would rather pass on a project like Orapko or a QB to get an almost sure thing like another OL or LB. But I'm sure I will change my mind about 20 times between now and draft day.

This is another very big draft for the Chiefs. I really wish they could trade down, that would make things so much easier for the Chiefs.

hometeam
01-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Some say that they have heard legends of all-pro DE's being drafted in the fourth round...

I kid I kid!

Really though, I have a feeling we will end up trading down.. that is if someone is willing~

N TX Dave
01-27-2009, 07:08 PM
YES, but I would rather take Maualuga over Curry SOOO I guess you could say BOTH Curry and Maualuga are worth the 3rd overall pick.

I am with you on trading down and still getting Maualuga, but I might wanna do it with say the Jags or a team closer to 10th. I just think Maualuga will go no later then 12th and I would hate to take a chance hehehe. PLUS in a lot of Mocks they have the Jags taking a LT SOO maybe they would want to trade up to get one of the 3 stud LT's /shrug

:Tool:
I keep asking this last year when everyone said we need to trade our first pick, who is our dancing pardner going to be, it takes someone that wants someone that high in the draft that will not be there later. Say someone wants a player that they feel will be taken by the team picking 12th they will try to trade up to around 10 to get their man before the team picking 12 they will not trade up to 3 to get him.

So what has to happen for us to be able to trade is someone has to be there that someone else wants that high maybe and OL this year is about the only thing I can see with the exeption of Crabtree if someone is in love with him and think he is the next coming of Jerry Rice. A lot will depend who Detroit and St Louis takes.
:owws:

Coach
01-27-2009, 07:39 PM
:Tool:
I keep asking this last year when everyone said we need to trade our first pick, who is our dancing pardner going to be, it takes someone that wants someone that high in the draft that will not be there later. Say someone wants a player that they feel will be taken by the team picking 12th they will try to trade up to around 10 to get their man before the team picking 12 they will not trade up to 3 to get him.

So what has to happen for us to be able to trade is someone has to be there that someone else wants that high maybe and OL this year is about the only thing I can see with the exeption of Crabtree if someone is in love with him and think he is the next coming of Jerry Rice. A lot will depend who Detroit and St Louis takes.
:owws:

I don't see either of those two teams looking at Crabtree. Detroit is a wildcard IMO. They need help everywhere except WR.

Chieffaninfl
01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
I think I would take Rey at 3 because that is a position we need to address. Tell me a team that wouldnt take mirriman at 3 right now. I think in my opinion Rey can be that kind of impact player. Also hope Raiders dont get Crabtree. Hate to have to cover him twice a year.

jmlamerson
01-27-2009, 11:55 PM
I don't see either of those two teams looking at Crabtree. Detroit is a wildcard IMO. They need help everywhere except WR.

Ironically, Crabtree would be a pretty good choice for them this year, if they could get Sanchez or Freeman at 20.

Big Daddy Tek
01-28-2009, 12:04 AM
I dont get you guys? Have you seen Curry? If you havent, visit youtube for a while and get back to me. Maualuga over Curry? Mike Mayock would slap you silly. Aaron Curry is the second best all around player in the draft and #3 is far away. After the combine, this guy will have as much hype as anybody drafted in recent years. YOU would love to have Curry, YOU just dont know it.

Coach
01-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Ironically, Crabtree would be a pretty good choice for them this year, if they could get Sanchez or Freeman at 20.

I dont get you guys? Have you seen Curry? If you havent, visit youtube for a while and get back to me. Maualuga over Curry? Mike Mayock would slap you silly. Aaron Curry is the second best all around player in the draft and #3 is far away. After the combine, this guy will have as much hype as anybody drafted in recent years. YOU would love to have Curry, YOU just dont know it.

Thought you might enjoy this article and explanation on why Aaron Curry won't be a Top 3 pick.
http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftpicks.php

theaxeeffect4311
01-28-2009, 02:10 AM
I think I would take Rey at 3 because that is a position we need to address. Tell me a team that wouldnt take mirriman at 3 right now. I think in my opinion Rey can be that kind of impact player. Also hope Raiders dont get Crabtree. Hate to have to cover him twice a year.

For the Raiders to get Crabtree, he will have to slip past Seattle. Almost everyone predicts Seattle will take Crabtree, which means if Oakland wants Crabtree, they'll have to trade up. And since we are right before Seattle, we would be the likely candidate.

Will that actually happen? Probably not. It would be smart to move down a few, grab a few extra picks, but many people speculate whether the Chiefs would make deals with Oakland. The way I see it, if Jamarcus Russell is the one that has to the throw the ball to Crabtree, then we have nothing to worry about. While Al Davis is known for taking the freak athlete in the draft, he has not drafted a receiver in the first round since Tim Brown in 1988. So you have to wonder what he will do this season. I've heard some talk about how he is interested in Crabtree to help the development and production of Jarmarcus Russell.

This is the only team I see the Chiefs being able to trade with. Take it however you want.

Coach
01-28-2009, 10:47 AM
For the Raiders to get Crabtree, he will have to slip past Seattle. Almost everyone predicts Seattle will take Crabtree, which means if Oakland wants Crabtree, they'll have to trade up. And since we are right before Seattle, we would be the likely candidate.

Will that actually happen? Probably not. It would be smart to move down a few, grab a few extra picks, but many people speculate whether the Chiefs would make deals with Oakland. The way I see it, if Jamarcus Russell is the one that has to the throw the ball to Crabtree, then we have nothing to worry about. While Al Davis is known for taking the freak athlete in the draft, he has not drafted a receiver in the first round since Tim Brown in 1988. So you have to wonder what he will do this season. I've heard some talk about how he is interested in Crabtree to help the development and production of Jarmarcus Russell.

This is the only team I see the Chiefs being able to trade with. Take it however you want.

Excellent post. I think the Chiefs would make a deal with Oakland if it was fair. Especially considering the money Hunt could save by not having to pick at #3.

I also think that the Bears could be in the market for Crabtree. I have not read it anywhere, but it makes sense IMO. This is a make or break year for Kyle Orton. Their defense isn't getting any younger. I'd take Crabtree over Brandon Lloyd or Rashied Davis any day of the week. I think most Bears fans would love that pick. If they could bring in a big time receiver like Crabtree to pair up with the rapidly improving RB Matt Forte, then Kyle Orton has every chance to succeed. Especially with the defense they have.

yashi
01-28-2009, 11:10 AM
I know most people probably disagree with me, but I do think Curry is a better overall LB than Maualuga. He is not as tenacious nor does he have the killer instinct that Rey has, but he is certainly quicker, faster, better at reading the pass, and a better pass rusher. The latter is the main reason I consider him a better fit for the Chiefs.

Maualuga is going to be a very good linebacker in the NFL. I'm just not so sure he'll be an every down LB, whereas I think Curry will be.

KCCAT21
01-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Even if we can't trade down I still say we should take Rey. I think he will do nothing but get better. Would not be upset with Curry, but Maualuga woul dbe my number 1.

jmlamerson
01-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Even if we can't trade down I still say we should take Rey. I think he will do nothing but get better. Would not be upset with Curry, but Maualuga woul dbe my number 1.

We can probably trade back into the 1st to get Maualuga if we want him that badly. Some mocks have him dropping down to 20.

balto
01-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Maualuga will go 3rd to us

dbolan
01-28-2009, 01:53 PM
I think Curry could be worth the third overall. However, my question on the guy is his speed. Everyone talks about Maualuga having great sideline to sideline speed. I do not hear that so much about Curry. I hear he is a playmaker, but if he does not have the speed, then third may be a little high for him. That is my assessment on him. As far as the rest of Curry's game, he looks great. Good tackling, coverage, skill/talent, reaction. All good.

Speed can be improved, if that is really a problem at all. Besides, he is a "gamer" for sure and that is what we need.

jap1
01-28-2009, 03:00 PM
I know most people probably disagree with me, but I do think Curry is a better overall LB than Maualuga. He is not as tenacious nor does he have the killer instinct that Rey has, but he is certainly quicker, faster, better at reading the pass, and a better pass rusher. The latter is the main reason I consider him a better fit for the Chiefs.

Maualuga is going to be a very good linebacker in the NFL. I'm just not so sure he'll be an every down LB, whereas I think Curry will be.

You cannot teach someone to have that killer instinct, you either do or dont. The rest of the stuff (except for maybe speed) SHOULD be improved with a good Defensive coaching staff (which we havent had for awhile) or some veteran mentorship.

That being said, do you want the player that has great skills right now ... or the player that has the great drive and attitude and will become a great player in a year or two. Its a tough decision.

Seek
01-28-2009, 03:09 PM

Not if Andre Smith is there.

Bike
01-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Could happen. Curry, Raji, Monroe, Smith might also go 3rd. OL is usually safe, low-risk pick and this year the safe pick happens to be an area of need, so I think we go ol 1st pick.

Seek
01-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Could happen. Curry, Raji, Monroe, Smith might also go 3rd. OL is usually safe, low-risk pick and this year the safe pick happens to be an area of need, so I think we go ol 1st pick.

Pioli and Bilicheck built the Patriots from the inside out. I would expect him to solidfy the lines with the 3rd round pick, since it is much harder to find good Offensive lineman.

Historically, the Patriots drafted Oline and d-line and then signed their Line backers through Free agency or later in the draft.

greg3564
01-28-2009, 09:03 PM

I haven't seen one draft prediction that has him going in the top ten. Most have him in the 13-16 range. Right where he should be in my opinion.

KristofLaw
01-28-2009, 09:09 PM
If the Chiefs are to draft a LB at the #3 spot he needs to develop into an elite athlete in the molds of R.Lewis, B.Urlacher, otherwise he'll be considered only adequate or a bust. Curry, Maualuga and Laurinaitis all could be considered but fit better as a mid-1st to early-2nd round picks. Unless we pick up leadership through free-agency my main quality I would choose to separate these three would be their leadership potential, something we are sorely lacking on D.

theaxeeffect4311
01-29-2009, 12:27 AM
If the Chiefs are to draft a LB at the #3 spot he needs to develop into an elite athlete in the molds of R.Lewis, B.Urlacher, otherwise he'll be considered only adequate or a bust. Curry, Maualuga and Laurinaitis all could be considered but fit better as a mid-1st to early-2nd round picks. Unless we pick up leadership through free-agency my main quality I would choose to separate these three would be their leadership potential, something we are sorely lacking on D.

There are a few free agents worth looking at. I know Jonathan Vilma is a name I like to throw at people. He is slightly smaller for a middle linebacker but plays great. He is a sure tackler, great in pass coverage, and has great speed for a linebacker. I think the Chiefs could bring him in and he could become the leader of this defense.

I was hoping that Terrell Suggs would become a free agent, but it looks like he wants to return to Baltimore. Oh well. He would have been a good motivational leader, plus, the guy has a high motor.

Big Daddy Tek
01-29-2009, 01:25 AM

The problem with this response is that you mentioned Maualuga and Laurinaitis in the same sentence as Curry. I will say it again. I dont think you understand! Curry is the second best all around player in this draft the other linebackers are just some good linebackers.

Codac
01-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Curry is a beast. He is good and very well worth the #3 pick if we keep it. He has great size and strength. He has that killer LB instinct. He is a leader and will be a very good player whoever he goes too.

I just want to know what defensive scheme we will be running next year. He is not much for defending the pass.

Yes. He is worth it. But will we keep the #3 pick? Stay tuned...lol

KristofLaw
01-30-2009, 06:43 AM
The problem with this response is that you mentioned Maualuga and Laurinaitis in the same sentence as Curry. I will say it again. I dont think you understand! Curry is the second best all around player in this draft the other linebackers are just some good linebackers.
Yes, I did, because my focus was on leadership.

theaxeeffect4311
01-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Yes, I did, because my focus was on leadership.

That's a good point. We do need a leader on defense. But none of those guys are worth the #3 spot. Curry is the closest and it's still questionable if the Chiefs should reach that high for a linebacker.

NJKCFAN
01-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Curry would be my choice right now. Would also be happy with a DE; it sounds like Brown is a better pass rusher than Orakpo if we go that route. I think either would be a stretch with the 3rd pick. Would also be happy with an OT; my pick there would be Monroe, Alberts buddy from Virginia. I'd stay away from Stafford or Sanchez, we have bigger problems than QB. I wouldn't mind if we could maybe grab Bomar in the third round or something. I'm not sure he'll be there in round three.

Chiefster
01-31-2009, 12:27 AM
That is a gamble. Take a guy like Orapko that is a gamble at DE and pay him Top 3 money. Or get a LB like Curry that will is much more likely to succeed. I understand the dilemna, but I think I would rather pass on a project like Orapko or a QB to get an almost sure thing like another OL or LB. But I'm sure I will change my mind about 20 times between now and draft day.

This is another very big draft for the Chiefs. I really wish they could trade down, that would make things so much easier for the Chiefs.

For sure we've had our fair share of projects the last couple of years; I'd like to see us do a little more in the FA market, but Hunt has made it clear that is not the direction he wants to go.

theaxeeffect4311
01-31-2009, 02:55 AM
For sure we've had our fair share of projects the last couple of years; I'd like to see us do a little more in the FA market, but Hunt has made it clear that is not the direction he wants to go.

However, Pioli was part of a Patriots team that was very active in FA. I think Hunt will bend to what Pioli wants. Pioli will not take the has-been FAs that Carl did. Plus, there are many young FAs worth taking this season. This should be a fun one. Put that with the drafted players, I'm excited to see the kind of turn around we have this season.

Chiefster
01-31-2009, 03:00 AM
However, Pioli was part of a Patriots team that was very active in FA. I think Hunt will bend to what Pioli wants. Pioli will not take the has-been FAs that Carl did. Plus, there are many young FAs worth taking this season. This should be a fun one. Put that with the drafted players, I'm excited to see the kind of turn around we have this season.

That would be nice. The building a team through the draft was Herm's thing, maybe Clark will do as you say.

jap1
01-31-2009, 03:37 AM

I got the impression that Hunt wanted to stay young, not necessarily get everything from the draft only. But that was my interpretation, I dont think I have any quotes to where he specifically says that.

prough91
01-31-2009, 04:49 PM
I know this probably won't be the most popular thing I have ever said, but if we could get Ray Lewis for a decent price, let's get him. He's still decent and I would love for him to instill his intensity into the rest of the defense. I keep thinkin back to '03 when we had Maslowski and the "bend but don't break" defense. He wasn't the greatest but he brought an intensity to the defense the they rallied around. When he went down with an injury the defense really faltered.

jmlamerson
01-31-2009, 06:15 PM
I know this probably won't be the most popular thing I have ever said, but if we could get Ray Lewis for a decent price, let's get him. He's still decent and I would love for him to instill his intensity into the rest of the defense. I keep thinkin back to '03 when we had Maslowski and the "bend but don't break" defense. He wasn't the greatest but he brought an intensity to the defense the they rallied around. When he went down with an injury the defense really faltered.

Ray Lewis isn't a terrible idea from a pure talent perspective. But (1) he'd be too expensive for what would be a 2-3 year rental; and (2) he probably wouldn't sign here - he wants a SB, now.

Frankly, we could get Mike Peterson at a fraction of the price, avoid the headaches, and get roughly the same production if we're looking for a veteran presence on the defense.

Bike
01-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Ray Lewis isn't a terrible idea from a pure talent perspective. But (1) he'd be too expensive for what would be a 2-3 year rental; and (2) he probably wouldn't sign here - he wants a SB, now.

Frankly, we could get Mike Peterson at a fraction of the price, avoid the headaches, and get roughly the same production if we're looking for a veteran presence on the defense.
Yeah but lets not get too old on D. We seen how well the Donnie Edwards expieriment worked...

prough91
01-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah but lets not get too old on D. We seen how well the Donnie Edwards expieriment worked...

Granted, but Ray Lewis is on a little different plane than Edwards.

jmlamerson
01-31-2009, 06:41 PM

Getting Donnie wasn't a terrible idea. Massively overpaying him $4.5M/year and expecting him to be a full-time starter when he's 35-years-old was.

Bike
01-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Granted, but Ray Lewis is on a little different plane than Edwards.
No doubt. Lewis is an animal. But I think he wants to keep his D together in Baltimore...

prough91
01-31-2009, 06:44 PM
No doubt. Lewis is an animal. But I think he wants to keep his D together in Baltimore...

I heard that about Suggs, but I never really heard that about Lewis.

Bike
01-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Getting Donnie wasn't a terrible idea. Massively overpaying him $4.5M/year and expecting him to be a full-time starter when he's 35-years-old was.
Agreed. I hope these blunders are all behind us...

Bike
01-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Cool. Lets get 'em.:bananen_smilies046:

prough91
01-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Cool. Lets get 'em.:bananen_smilies046:

Seriously, if we had to overpay him a little for two years but he instilled some of his attitude into our players; I'm all for it.

Bike
01-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Seriously, if we had to overpay him a little for two years but he instilled some of his attitude into our players; I'm all for it.
Me, too. Lets ask HermHater.

jmlamerson
01-31-2009, 07:03 PM

Actually, Suggs, Lewis, and Scott are all giving hometown discounts. I'd be shocked if any of them left - especially given how badly Ravens defensive players have done on other teams.

jap1
01-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Actually, Suggs, Lewis, and Scott are all giving hometown discounts. I'd be shocked if any of them left - especially given how badly Ravens defensive players have done on other teams.

Actually Lewis never said he would give a discount. When asked to comment on what Suggs said, this is what he said:

"[W]hat he really is talking about is a brotherhood. That's the reason why we played so passionately. There's a commitment to each other. A lot of times in life, you don't like to see that go. But it's business. It happens."

That could be interpreted as him saying he is in it for the business more than the brotherhood.

theaxeeffect4311
02-02-2009, 02:20 AM
Actually Lewis never said he would give a discount. When asked to comment on what Suggs said, this is what he said:

"[W]hat he really is talking about is a brotherhood. That's the reason why we played so passionately. There's a commitment to each other. A lot of times in life, you don't like to see that go. But it's business. It happens."

That could be interpreted as him saying he is in it for the business more than the brotherhood.

I agree. However, I do not think that the Chiefs should grab Lewis at the age 33 when they could grab Vilma when he's only 26 years old and a great linebacker in a 4-3 defense. So the real question comes as to what defense will the Chiefs play.

slc chief
02-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Mike Mayock's top prospects by position for the 2009 NFL DraftRankPlayerSchoolQuarterbacks
*Matthew StaffordGeorgia
*Mark SanchezSouthern California
*Josh FreemanKansas State
*Nate DavisBall State
Rhett BomarSam Houston StateRunning backs
*Chris WellsOhio State
*Knowshon MorenoGeorgia
*LeSean McCoyPittsburgh
*Donald BrownConnecticut
*Mike GoodsonTexas A&MFullback
Tony FiammettaSyracuase
Quinn JohnsonLSU
Brannan SoutherlandGeorgiaWide receivers
*Michael CrabtreeTexas Tech
*Jeremy MaclinMissouri
*Darrius Heyward-BeyMaryland
*Percy HarvinFlorida
*Kenny BrittRutgersTight ends
Brandon PettigrewOklahoma State
Shawn NelsonSouthern Mississippi
Cornelius IngramFlorida
*James CaseyRice
Travis BeckumWisconsinCenters
Max UngerOregon
Eric WoodLouisville
Alex MackCalifornia
A.Q. ShipleyPenn State
Antoine CaldwellAlabamaGuards
Andy LevitreOregon State
Duke RobinsonOklahoma
Kraig UrbikWisconsin
Tyronne GreenAuburn
Herman JohnsonLSUOffensive tackles
Jason SmithBaylor
Eugene MonroeVirginia
*Andre SmithAlabama
Michael OherMississippi
*Eben BrittonArizonaDefensive endsRkPlayerSchool
Tyson JacksonLSU
Paul KrugerUtah
Robert AyersTennessee
Michael Bennett (http://www.nfl.com/players/michaelbennett/profile?id=BEN384766)Texas A&M
Michael Johnson (http://www.nfl.com/players/michaeljohnson/profile?id=JOH504824)Georgia TechDefensive tackles
B.J. RajiBoston College
Peria JerryMississippi
Ron BraceBoston College
Fili MoalaSouthern California
Evander 'Ziggy' HoodMissouriInside linebackers
James LaurinaitisOhio State
Rey MaualugaSouthern California
Darry BeckwithLSU
Dannell EllerbeGeorgia
Jason PhillipsTexas ChristianOutside linebackers
Aaron CurryWake Forest
Brian OrakpoTexas
Brian CushingSouthern California
*Aaron MaybinPenn State
Everette BrownFlorida StateSafeties
Louis DelmasWestern Michigan
Rashad JohnsonAlabama
Patrick ChungOregon
William MooreMissouri
Michael HamlinClemsonCornerbacks
Malcolm JenkinsOhio State
*Vontae DavisIllinois
Alphonso SmithWake Forest
Darius ButlerConnecticut
*D.J. MooreVanderbilt

Pro_Angler
02-07-2009, 02:01 PM

I don't know of too many teams that are willing to give up a lot to trade up in this particular draft, if mybe to get crabtree before seattle at 4.

CanafawgPound
02-16-2009, 04:33 AM
I am a Browns fan.

My dream 1st 2 rounds is:

ILB Aaron Curry in the 1st
and
OLB Clay Mathews III in the 2nd.

As a Browns fan, LBs for our 3-4 is the top priority, and although Curry is a bit of a risk at 5 in a new system, I think this combo is the best LB combo I could ask for outta this draft.

You Chiefs should only have one tough decision, which OT is the best. No LB is worth a top 3 unless he comes with no questions at all. Curry is not the best value for you guys!

I did see some trade down for Rey Muauluga stuff. Rey Rey gets mention by my Browns fans too ;). Rey Rey's lack of leadership makes him not worth a top 5. Personally, I'm not for trading down for him neither, because his lack of leadership scares me as a ILB in the NFL even at 12! If the Cheifs take Curry, I do want to trade down, but for DE/OLB Everette Brown. However taking Brown will still leave us with an ILB hole, and then my Mathews 2nd rounder doesn't fit neither! So I hope for both our teams best interest you guys don't take Curry 3rd!

CanafawgPound
02-16-2009, 04:55 AM
Sorry for the double post, wouldn't let me edit after 10 minutes!

My dream could be your dream too!

I don't want to pick between the beasts, but:

Chiefs:
1st round - one of these OTs (Andre Smith, Michael Oher, Eugene Monroe, or Jason Smith) they are all solid!

2nd round - DE/OLB Michael Johnson, although I think his stock will rise back to mid 1st after the combine, right now late 1st and even early 2nd seems to be his projection!

Browns:
1st round -OLB Aaron Curry - I think he is worth the risk for my Browns, even though I rank him closer to 10th overall.

2nd round - Clay Mathews III - He belongs in Orange and Brown, nuff said ;).

I'm scared of my Browns staying close to home and picking either CB Malcolm Jenkins or RB Chris Wells! Jenkins looks really good, but CBs top 5 scare the shizznit outta me, lol. I don't want an injury prone RB 5th overall neither! If we draft an RB it should be Knowshon Moreno, but I don't want an RB in the top 5 anyway!

Ldub
02-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Curry is worth it. Hes the best defence of player in the draft, and we have the worst defence in the nfl. There is some other options we could go but Curry is going to give us more bang for our buck.
If we dont pick him or trade down I wouldnt be super upset with Brian Orakpo, Andre Smith, or Michael Oher.
Just PLEASE no QBs or WRs!!!

hometeam
02-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Why draft at RB #3? We have Charles and Smith, and hell.. we still have LJ.

HokieChief 09
02-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Absolutely he is. Curry is without a damn question the best overall defensive player in this draft. I can say by seeing him play through the ACC(i'm a Virginia Tech fan/student), this guy should be our pick at #3. He tore it up like no other last year, he's a great kid, has leadership qualities(where REY apparently has none? i seriously doubt maualuga has not leadership qualities, but thats besides the point). Curry is a freak of nature in the weight room, good instincts, great pash rusher, showed ability to stop the run last year...he is reckoned by Scott Wright(better than Mayok AND Kiper IMO... www.draftcountdown.com (http://www.draftcountdown.com) ) as the best overall player in this entire draft. Take him. Look up his highlights up on youtube. He's the most legit thing to come out of the ACC, and I think we have to start somewhere. We can plug him in opposite of DJ(imagine that!), or put him at MLB/ILB if need be. I think it's no question we take this stud of a football player if the lions/rams dont get him. It would be a great pick in my opinion.

Pro_Angler
02-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Anything other then Crabtree will be a total *&^*^**^ BAR and will make me sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vandelay
02-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Anything other then Crabtree will be a total *&^*^**^ BAR and will make me sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I hope you have a good doctor.

slc chief
02-16-2009, 10:29 PM
back to the original question i think curry is the best lb in this draftif we could trade with oakland and get him there even better less money and maybe even get a 5th rounder

prough91
02-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm going to be honest, I don't watch much college ball and generally don't know anything about a player the Chiefs draft until after they do. Then, I research them like crazy. I went and watched video on Curry the other night and he's crazy good. Draft him.

hometeam
02-17-2009, 11:18 AM
I think overall Curry being worth a "third pick" is subjective to the talent in the draft..

this year is kind of scant on lots of superstar first pick types, so yes, this year, Curry is worth #3

prough91
02-17-2009, 11:30 AM
I think overall Curry being worth a "third pick" is subjective to the talent in the draft..

this year is kind of scant on lots of superstar first pick types, so yes, this year, Curry is worth #3

No matter what year, how many times are you going to find a LB that's 6'5" 250 pounds and can run faster than most CB's?

tornadospotter
02-17-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm going to be honest, I don't watch much college ball and generally don't know anything about a player the Chiefs draft until after they do. Then, I research them like crazy. I went and watched video on Curry the other night and he's crazy good. Draft him.
YouTube - LB Aaron Curry Highlights Wake Forest 2008

YouTube - Wake Forest LB Aaron Curry Official Highlight Reel

Second Vid is poor but love the music!

I would be ok with Curry at #3

yashi
02-17-2009, 12:09 PM
No matter what year, how many times are you going to find a LB that's 6'5" 250 pounds and can run faster than most CB's?

but... he's not 6'5" and he's not faster than most CBs. he's a great LB, but let's not overhype him.

hometeam
02-17-2009, 01:15 PM
I would be ok with a LB core of Curry-Vilma-Johnson....

Pro_Angler
04-08-2009, 10:58 AM

LMAO Absolutely... he is the best playwer in the draft on defense. If you want a cover type D guy get curry if you want more the passer pressure guy get Arakapo.

okikcfan
04-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Curry to me is a first choice. He has been said to be the safest bet out of all the first round picks. Letsjust see what Pioli will do....

Chiefster
04-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Curry to me is a first choice. He has been said to be the safest bet out of all the first round picks. Letsjust see what Pioli will do....

"They" said the same thing about Ryan Sims.

Ldub
04-11-2009, 08:33 AM
"They" said the same thing about Ryan Sims.

Thats a very good point, but unfortunately busts happen. I think we really dont have much of a choice, we need an early round LB if we plan on running the 3-4. LBs are whats makes it all happen, if we dont have enough of them we really should stay in a 4-3.

DJ will start. Demorrio Willams is impressive somtimes, but a starter? not on most teams. Vrabel and Beisel might be splitting time, both are old and surly wont play every down. An Aaron Curry would be a nice add-on to our lb core. IF he dosent pull a Ryan Sims that is :D

chief31
04-13-2009, 01:48 AM
IMO, Curry would have to be the second coming of Ray Lewis to warrant the #3 pick.

And since he is an OLB, I find that doubtful.

If we had a severe lack at that position, I probably still wouldn't back using the #3 pick for it.

Unless there was absolutely nothing else that could be useful at that draft spot, then I just can't say that an OLB is a good choice that high in the draft.

I know that alot of people like to say go for the BPA. But even they will admit that no Punter should be drafted at #3, no matter how great he is at his position.

You draft based on what your team needs.

And, while we do have some need for a MLB, and not that we have the absolute best pair of OLB in the league, we just don't have a major need for an OLB, unless we commit to a 3-4. And then it still a pretty moderate need.

The biggest single positional need on this team has to be at RDE. But few seem to believe that there is a player available that is talented enough to be picked that high.

The next biggest need position would be either ROT or DT.

DT is the same as the DE position. Noone is being ranked as high as we draft.

Then, with ROT, noone really likes to take a ROT that high, just as I don't like to take an OLB that high. And I can't really argue that.

But, if we draft for the LOT position, then we upgrade that position, and potentially upgrade the ROT as well.

And, if the LOT pick isn't what he was supposed to be, then there is still a good chance that he is a major upgrade at ROT, strictly as an insurance policy.

That is a very rare commodity for the risk of a #3 overall pick.

If a QB doesn't work out as planned, he is a backup that you hope never sees the field.

If a WR doesn't work out, then he too is bench material.

RB letdown is another worthless player.

OLB doesn't get much better, if at all, by changing to the other OLB spot.

MLB is screwed. CBs can be converted to play a Safety spot sometimes.

But the ability to have two shots at getting a top-notch player, with a single pick is something that can't be ignored.

If the player can't even cut it at ROT, then he still may have the ability to be a top-notch OG.

That makes three opportunities to get a great player, with a single pick.

So, if you ever wonder why I sound so biased toward drafting O-line, there ya go. Aside from my views of how important the O-line is anyway.

Man it sure would be nice to see a thread about draft successes!! I guess that sort of stuff does not make good reading!?!?

Well, it sure would be nice to have alot of success to talk about. :D

jamesald
04-13-2009, 07:23 PM
If the Chiefs stay at the #3 slot, then Curry is without question the right pick. He is better than any linebackers on the current roster (DJ is a legit argument), but if you watch film of the guy, he is insane. He has 4.56 speed at 6-2, 255 pounds. He has great instincts, he's good in coverage, he has the ability to rush the passer but he wasn't asked to do that. He is a GREAT tackler, especially in space and in 1 on 1 situations. Could we move back and get another linebacker? Sure, but there is no linebacker that has the total package of Aaron Curry. Why draft a left tackle when we have Albert? No other player is worthy of the number 3 overall pick. Curry will be a great player in the NFL from day one. Defensive tackle and offensive tackle can be addressed with the 3rd and 4th round picks. I can still see extra picks being received if Dorsey, Hali, or any of the current defensive lineman are traded on draft day.

Chief Tyler
04-13-2009, 11:09 PM
If the Chiefs stay at the #3 slot, then Curry is without question the right pick. He is better than any linebackers on the current roster (DJ is a legit argument), but if you watch film of the guy, he is insane. He has 4.56 speed at 6-2, 255 pounds. He has great instincts, he's good in coverage, he has the ability to rush the passer but he wasn't asked to do that. He is a GREAT tackler, especially in space and in 1 on 1 situations. Could we move back and get another linebacker? Sure, but there is no linebacker that has the total package of Aaron Curry. Why draft a left tackle when we have Albert? No other player is worthy of the number 3 overall pick. Curry will be a great player in the NFL from day one. Defensive tackle and offensive tackle can be addressed with the 3rd and 4th round picks. I can still see extra picks being received if Dorsey, Hali, or any of the current defensive lineman are traded on draft day.

If you watch film of this guy, he was a good LB who didn't turn into the second coming of Jesus until the combine. "Without question" is BS, Raji, Monroe, Orakpo (please no) and Crabtree are all possibilities as well.

Chiefster
04-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Thats a very good point, but unfortunately busts happen. I think we really dont have much of a choice, we need an early round LB if we plan on running the 3-4. LBs are whats makes it all happen, if we dont have enough of them we really should stay in a 4-3.

DJ will start. Demorrio Willams is impressive somtimes, but a starter? not on most teams. Vrabel and Beisel might be splitting time, both are old and surly wont play every down. An Aaron Curry would be a nice add-on to our lb core. IF he dosent pull a Ryan Sims that is :D

IMO, Curry would have to be the second coming of Ray Lewis to warrant the #3 pick.

And since he is an OLB, I find that doubtful.

If we had a severe lack at that position, I probably still wouldn't back using the #3 pick for it.

Unless there was absolutely nothing else that could be useful at that draft spot, then I just can't say that an OLB is a good choice that high in the draft.

I know that alot of people like to say go for the BPA. But even they will admit that no Punter should be drafted at #3, no matter how great he is at his position.

You draft based on what your team needs.

And, while we do have some need for a MLB, and not that we have the absolute best pair of OLB in the league, we just don't have a major need for an OLB, unless we commit to a 3-4. And then it still a pretty moderate need.

The biggest single positional need on this team has to be at RDE. But few seem to believe that there is a player available that is talented enough to be picked that high.

The next biggest need position would be either ROT or DT.

DT is the same as the DE position. Noone is being ranked as high as we draft.

Then, with ROT, noone really likes to take a ROT that high, just as I don't like to take an OLB that high. And I can't really argue that.

But, if we draft for the LOT position, then we upgrade that position, and potentially upgrade the ROT as well.

And, if the LOT pick isn't what he was supposed to be, then there is still a good chance that he is a major upgrade at ROT, strictly as an insurance policy.

That is a very rare commodity for the risk of a #3 overall pick.

If a QB doesn't work out as planned, he is a backup that you hope never sees the field.

If a WR doesn't work out, then he too is bench material.

RB letdown is another worthless player.

OLB doesn't get much better, if at all, by changing to the other OLB spot.

MLB is screwed. CBs can be converted to play a Safety spot sometimes.

But the ability to have two shots at getting a top-notch player, with a single pick is something that can't be ignored.

If the player can't even cut it at ROT, then he still may have the ability to be a top-notch OG.

That makes three opportunities to get a great player, with a single pick.

So, if you ever wonder why I sound so biased toward drafting O-line, there ya go. Aside from my views of how important the O-line is anyway.

Well, it sure would be nice to have alot of success to talk about. :D

Some very good points. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

pbatrucker
04-13-2009, 11:35 PM
If you watch film of this guy, he was a good LB who didn't turn into the second coming of Jesus until the combine. "Without question" is BS, Raji, Monroe, Orakpo (please no) and Crabtree are all possibilities as well.
If you'll do more research, you will find out that Curry became one of the best football players and the best LB in the draft thru hard work and being determined to be the best player he could be. Everyone with a little football knowledge knew about him before the draft. The workouts at the combine and his pro day just confirmed he is the best LB in this years draft.
That same heart and determination IMO will drive him to become one of the best LB in the NFL.
If the Chiefs draft him great, if they draft Smith or Monroe great, if they draft Rahji super, and if we trade down and get more picks, fantastic, but please don't make statements you can't support with facts.
:11:

AussieChiefsFan
04-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Aaron Curry is worth the 1st round pick IMO. He is a great player in all aspects. He is fast for a start. Not to mention that he can weave his way through the O-Line and can often easily sack the QB. I have watched a lot of game footage and the one thing it has proved to me is that he as an individual would be a great player to have on one's team, especially as a rookie. You never know he could be like TG; through the early years builds skill talent and respect by the team, his coach and of course the fans! (That is also the reason I don't want TG to be traded, he has built up his career on the Chiefs!)

Chief Tyler
04-14-2009, 10:24 AM
If you'll do more research, you will find out that Curry became one of the best football players and the best LB in the draft thru hard work and being determined to be the best player he could be. Everyone with a little football knowledge knew about him before the draft. The workouts at the combine and his pro day just confirmed he is the best LB in this years draft.
That same heart and determination IMO will drive him to become one of the best LB in the NFL.
If the Chiefs draft him great, if they draft Smith or Monroe great, if they draft Rahji super, and if we trade down and get more picks, fantastic, but please don't make statements you can't support with facts.
:11:

I'm not exaggerating the least bit on this one. You said exactly what I said and accused me of not being able to support claims. And wheres your source that guarantees that he is going to be a superstar in the league? This is a speculation forum, and all speculation is able to be questioned while little is proved.

I wouldn't be mad if we took Curry, I think he can be a centerpiece for the defense for years to come, but LB is always a deep position and you can find long term solutions deeper into the draft, but do a little of your own research and you'll find that people say he has weak directional ability, which sounds like a pretty glaring weakness to me considering he would be forced to drop back into coverage qutie a bit. People say he's overly aggressive too, and watching his highlights, he is usually coming straight at a ball carrier who is fresh out of the backfield, times when its good to be aggressive rather than hazardous.

Aaron Curry is worth the 1st round pick IMO. He is a great player in all aspects. He is fast for a start. Not to mention that he can weave his way through the O-Line and can often easily sack the QB. I have watched a lot of game footage and the one thing it has proved to me is that he as an individual would be a great player to have on one's team, especially as a rookie. You never know he could be like TG; through the early years builds skill talent and respect by the team, his coach and of course the fans! (That is also the reason I don't want TG to be traded, he has built up his career on the Chiefs!)

The whole reason he is considered a top tier pick is because he's projected to be a good player, and he's not a sack artist. He had maybe 5-6 career sacks at Wake.The whole TG thing is dumb as well, every player in the NFL who is successful gets better over the years, they don't come into the league at their prime, and almost every successful player has a mentality that allows him to be respected by his team, league and fans. If people didn't think Curry would bring that to the table, he wouldn't be a top 5 candidate.

Still, LB is one of the deepest positions in the draft most years and Curry by no means is going to fix our backfield pressure problem better than a good DE/DT or a rush LB would, so there is always room to question until we actually find out.

DT14PRIEST
04-16-2009, 02:29 AM
Top 10 - yes!

Top 5 - yes!

Top 3 - no!

Non-rush LB's for a team searching for a pass rush OLB/DE/NT/OL do not need to be flirting with something we don't need.

I used to be on the Curry bandwagon a while back but I was always a Monroe homer at heart. I'll say it till the cows come home: you build a championship franchise through the trenches!

Tom Brady completes passes to Randy Moss because Matt Light is covering his blind side making plays.

Rey Lewis makes tackles because Haloti Ngata is demanding the double team giving Rey the open shot.

Troy Polamalu is hitting lights out on the run because Brett Keisel is on inside forcing the playing outside

All the players are great in their own right but lineman make the game go round. Lineman play football/everyone else just makes plays.

I'm sure Curry will be a great linebacker, hell he may even be rookie defensive MVP but for a team transitioning to a 34 with multiple needs outside of a 'verstaile' player that will play the coverage ILB position if drafted there are more pressing needs and concerns that should be addressed first and foremost.

We've invested $15 million dollars and a 2nd round draft pick in our potential QBOTF; I think it'd be wise if the Chiefs did everything in their power to protect that asset (I'm hinting at Monroe F.Y.I)

fairladyZ
04-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I would not be upset with Monroe one bit.

But curry will rush the passer just fine. Watch tape on him. He was never asked to blitz the QB and when he was he got there and either disrupted the play, ran thru a RB knocking the QB down. Or got to the QB for the sack.

tornadospotter
04-16-2009, 03:57 PM
YES! I agree.

yashi
04-16-2009, 03:59 PM
yeah. so many people saying Curry can't rush the passer. That's not true. It just wasn't his role at Wake Forest. But he's explosive and can shed blocks well. Are his moves as polished as say, Everette Brown or Orakpo? No.. but he has the potential in that area to be just as good.

Curry or Monroe. I'm pretty much ecstatic to see either one in a Chiefs uniform next season.

tornadospotter
04-16-2009, 04:02 PM
One name, one player, comes to my mind, for me.

DT14PRIEST
04-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Taking a player based soley on speculation for a role you need but something he didn't do at all but 'supposedly' has the potential to do is not something you risk with top 3 money.

If the Chiefs are stuck with the #3 they need to strike gold and strike gold with a quality starter, filling an immediate need to make this team better. The woes of this team won't be solved by a LB playing outside his game.

Yea he has the potential, yea he wasn't asked to do it in College, yea he's is the 'supposed' safest pick in the draft but none of that should mean anything to a team with a defensive transition occuring. Chiefs have glaring needs that need to be filled with the talent avalible in this draft.

Just read this post:

MVN Chiefs Draft Preview: Linebackers (and Why it Won't Be Aaron Curry) - Home of the Chiefs (http://mvn.com/homeofthechiefs/2009/04/mvn-chiefs-draft-preview-linebackers-and-why-it-wont-be-aaron-curry.html)

I've seen the game tape, he was pretty good rusher but nothing amazing. He'd get to the QB a step late rarely making the play and even then he was as the scouts predicted 'stiff in the hips' and lacks 'ideal pass rush instincts'. Its painfully obvious on tape that he is a surefire grade A starter at a 4-3 LB, but for a defense as technically diverse as a 34 Cheifs have bigger concerns to address rather then reach for players that are 'versatile' and can play either scheme 'well'. We need 34 guys that can play 34 lights out.

It would be a terrible waste of consecutive high draft picks for the Chiefs to lose its value on Dorsey and then reach for another soild 43 prospect like Curry.

LolCassell
04-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Curry is the safest player in the draft. But Monroe would make the line so nice with Albert being able to switch to guard like in college.

fairladyZ
04-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Monroe, Waters, Goff, Albert, ?

or

Monroe, Waters, Goff, ?, Albert

not to mention i really don't think Monroe or Smith will be there at #3

theaxeeffect4311
04-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Monroe, Waters, Goff, Albert, ?

or

Monroe, Waters, Goff, ?, Albert

not to mention i really don't think Monroe or Smith will be there at #3

Monroe will be there. The Lions are pretty set on Stafford. They are not the kind of team to make a smokescreen. Plus, no one is going to want to trade with them, so they might as well make a deal with their pick and get it over with. The Rams will take Jason Smith leaving Monroe for the Chiefs.

It'll be:

Monroe, Waters, (Whoever we Draft), Goff, Albert

Bike
04-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Top 10 - yes!

Top 5 - yes!

Top 3 - no!

Non-rush LB's for a team searching for a pass rush OLB/DE/NT/OL do not need to be flirting with something we don't need.

I used to be on the Curry bandwagon a while back but I was always a Monroe homer at heart. I'll say it till the cows come home: you build a championship franchise through the trenches!

Tom Brady completes passes to Randy Moss because Matt Light is covering his blind side making plays.

Rey Lewis makes tackles because Haloti Ngata is demanding the double team giving Rey the open shot.

Troy Polamalu is hitting lights out on the run because Brett Keisel is on inside forcing the playing outside

All the players are great in their own right but lineman make the game go round. Lineman play football/everyone else just makes plays.

I'm sure Curry will be a great linebacker, hell he may even be rookie defensive MVP but for a team transitioning to a 34 with multiple needs outside of a 'verstaile' player that will play the coverage ILB position if drafted there are more pressing needs and concerns that should be addressed first and foremost.

We've invested $15 million dollars and a 2nd round draft pick in our potential QBOTF; I think it'd be wise if the Chiefs did everything in their power to protect that asset (I'm hinting at Monroe F.Y.I)
Well said. Derrick Thomas was a great player. The greatest. But he couldn't have done it all by himself. With the likes of Smith, Samuelua, and Phillips in the trenches causing havoc on the OL, Thomas flurished.
Getting the biggest, baddest, meanest guys available for our lines will allow the rest of the team to do their jobs - win football games.

DT14PRIEST
04-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Here is how Mike Mayock (probably the most respected of all draft analysis) see's the top 20 NFL ready prospects in this years draft. (note Prospects! not mock draft)

Monroe takes over the No. 1 spot in list of top 20 prospects (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80d41b6d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

1. Eugene Monroe OT
2. Michael Crabtree WR
4. Knowshon Moreno RB
5. Brandon Pettigrew TE

Thought it was interesting.

theaxeeffect4311
04-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Here is how Mike Mayock (probably the most respected of all draft analysis) see's the top 20 NFL ready prospects in this years draft. (note Prospects! not mock draft)

Monroe takes over the No. 1 spot in list of top 20 prospects (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80d41b6d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

1. Eugene Monroe OT
2. Michael Crabtree WR
4. Knowshon Moreno RB
5. Brandon Pettigrew TE

Thought it was interesting.

I'm all for Monroe. He's great friends with Branden Albert and those two can team up to be bookends for the next ten years. Monroe makes a lot of sense to sure up the O-line, protect Cassel, and make running lanes. I'm tired of seeing our runningbacks being stood up in the backfield. Our line needs help and this is the perfect fix.

tornadospotter
04-19-2009, 06:38 PM
YouTube - Tyson Jackson

It could be this guy at #3

tornadospotter
04-19-2009, 06:43 PM
The National Football Post | Sunday At The Post (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/04/sunday-at-the-post/)