PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Coordinator

prough91
01-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Personally, I think its pretty close to a given that Haley will be our new HC. Who would everyone like to see as our defensive coordinator. I was thinking about how someone (can't remember who) said they saw Dennis Green in town. I think that would be a good choice.

texaschief
01-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Romeo Crennel is a strong possibility if they want Parcells and Patriot ties.

prough91
01-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Romeo Crennel is a strong possibility if they want Parcells and Patriot ties.

That's right. I'd completely forgotten about him. If we get him and Haley and already havin Pioli, would we be considered Patriots West?

Coach
01-27-2009, 09:57 PM
I'd be good with Crennel as our DC. I wanted Dom Capers, but he's in GB now. Dom just hired Kevin Greene as his LB coach. I would have loved to have that duo helping to rebuild this defense. That's what happens when you drag your feet. GB is switching to a 3-4 and I expect their defense to one of the best in the NFL within 2-3 years.

hometeam
01-28-2009, 01:19 AM
yuk I dont want crennel :(

theaxeeffect4311
01-28-2009, 03:11 AM

I don't want Haley.

honda522
01-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Word..the guy did terrible in Cleavland, what would make him good in KC?

Coach
01-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Word..the guy did terrible in Cleavland, what would make him good in KC?

Crennel was not a great HC, but he had very good seasons as a DC for New England. This thread is talking about whom we would like as our defensive coordinator.

In fact, Crennel won three Super Bowls in four seasons as the defensive coordinator of the New England Patriots. Crennel has participated in six Super Bowls, winning five of them during his coaching career. In case you are counting, that is 4 more Super Bowls than the Chiefs Organzation has won in its history. Remember that "Greatest Show on Turf"....Crennel slowed it down in the Super Bowl and NE shocked the HEAVILY favored Rams.

You show me a DC that has better credentials than him that is still available and I will be all ears. Until then, I'll take him over any other name that I've heard floated around. The Chiefs would be extremely lucky to get him. And with his ties to Pioli, I think we have a good chance.

:D

jmlamerson
01-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Crennel was not a great HC, but he had very good seasons as a DC for New England. This thread is talking about whom we would like as our defensive coordinator.

In fact, Crennel won three Super Bowls in four seasons as the defensive coordinator of the New England Patriots. Crennel has participated in six Super Bowls, winning five of them during his coaching career. In case you are counting, that is 4 more Super Bowls than the Chiefs Organzation has won in its history. Remember that "Greatest Show on Turf"....Crennel slowed it down in the Super Bowl and NE shocked the HEAVILY favored Rams.

You show me a DC that has better credentials than him that is still available and I will be all ears. Until then, I'll take him over any other name that I've heard floated around. The Chiefs would be extremely lucky to get him. And with his ties to Pioli, I think we have a good chance.

I agree. But if that happens, everyone be prepared to watch our entire defense get gutted as we move to a 3-4. You remaining fans of DJ, Dorsey, Tank, Turk, Hali, Page, etc. (i.e. everyone not named Pollard, Carr, Leggett, and Flowers) will have to watch as these guys are cut or replaced. These guys are barely big enough to play in a 4-3 - there's no way they can play in a 3-4.

EDIT: And don't be shocked if we reach for Raji at 3 to be our NT either.

yashi
01-28-2009, 11:33 AM
I went back to look at some stats on the Pats defense while Crennel was there.

2001 - 20th ranked
2002 - 24th ranked
2003 - 7th ranked
2004 - 9th ranked

Kind of annoying that it took him 2 years to get the defense to anything less than crap, but at least they did turn out pretty good in the end.

I have to really disagree with jlamerson about DJ. I have my doubts about Dorsey being able to play any position in a 3-4, but I think DJ is skilled, athletic, and smart enough to fit in any scheme. He gets overlooked playing in such a horrid defense, but ESPN actually ranked him as the 18th best linebacker in the NFL heading into this season. I was really impressed with his tackling towards the end of the season too.

honda522
01-28-2009, 11:34 AM

Then why was Cleavland's defense mediocre?

jmlamerson
01-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Because it takes a season or three for a 3-4 defense to come together. Cleveland never had the personnel to run the 3-4, and their run defense stunk due to their ancient/useless LB corps and bad DEs.

Don't make a mistake, if we get Crennel and switch to a 3-4, we're going to have 2 or 3 bad defensive seasons while we aqcuire personnel and get them used to playing togather.

jmlamerson
01-28-2009, 12:00 PM

2001 - 20th ranked
2002 - 24th ranked
2003 - 7th ranked
2004 - 9th ranked

Kind of annoying that it took him 2 years to get the defense to anything less than crap, but at least they did turn out pretty good in the end.

I have to really disagree with jlamerson about DJ. I have my doubts about Dorsey being able to play any position in a 3-4, but I think DJ is skilled, athletic, and smart enough to fit in any scheme. He gets overlooked playing in such a horrid defense, but ESPN actually ranked him as the 18th best linebacker in the NFL heading into this season. I was really impressed with his tackling towards the end of the season too.

I'm not against DJ - I just have severe doubts as to whether he has the toughness and strength to be a good LB in a 3-4. DJ's big advantages are his speed and athleticism, and they just aren't as important to a 3-4 LB as they are a 4-3 LB.

I know DJ was (easily) our best front seven player this year, but he only had 69 tackles and 1.5 sacks. I'm not even close to sold on him. He's always showed more promise than production.

N TX Dave
01-28-2009, 12:18 PM

2001 - 20th ranked
2002 - 24th ranked
2003 - 7th ranked
2004 - 9th ranked

Two years is really too long to turn around a defense? The first year to figure out who were players and who were not and a year to get everyone on the same page.

I don't care who the Chiefs DC is if he had the defense in the top ten in after two seasons I would be happy.

Coach
01-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I agree. But if that happens, everyone be prepared to watch our entire defense get gutted as we move to a 3-4. You remaining fans of DJ, Dorsey, Tank, Turk, Hali, Page, etc. (i.e. everyone not named Pollard, Carr, Leggett, and Flowers) will have to watch as these guys are cut or replaced. These guys are barely big enough to play in a 4-3 - there's no way they can play in a 3-4.

EDIT: And don't be shocked if we reach for Raji at 3 to be our NT either.

I agree there will be some signicant cuts if we move to a 3-4. I'm not sure that is a bad thing though. Dorsey looks to be the biggest victim of that. Do you think Dorsey could be traded?

I also agree that if we move to a 3-4, Raji will be a hard guy to pass up. He dominated everyone at the Senior Bowl except for Alex Mack.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009DT.php

yashi
01-28-2009, 12:53 PM
I agree there will be some signicant cuts if we move to a 3-4. I'm not sure that is a bad thing though. Dorsey looks to be the biggest victim of that. Do you think Dorsey could be traded?

I also agree that if we move to a 3-4, Raji will be a hard guy to pass up. He dominated everyone at the Senior Bowl except for Alex Mack.

WalterFootball.com: 2009 NFL Draft: Defensive Tackle Rankings (http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009DT.php)
Todd McShay even went so far as to say that he was the best player at the Senior Bowl, regardless of position.

I really would hate to trade Dorsey.. he had a bad year, but I still think he's going to be a very good DT. If the opportunity to gain another 1st round pick for him presented itself we would have to take it though.. if we switch to a 3-4 that is.

jmlamerson
01-28-2009, 01:06 PM

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009DT.php

Trading Dorsey's pretty impossible because of the resulting $20M cap hit, which is massive, even if spread over two years. And that's besides the fact that his value is very low (maybe a 3rd rounder) right now due to a way below expectations rookie year. Dorsey may actually have value to us as a DE in a 3-4, either as a starter or reserve. There are 3-4 DEs who are bigger than him (Aaron Smith, Ty Warren, etc.).

It's hard (but fun) to decide what to do in the draft right now because we haven't gone trough FA yet. Frankly, given the probably immense overhaul needed if we go to a 3-4, I'm the slightest bit worried that our OL will be left in the cold again this draft.

theaxeeffect4311
01-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Trading Dorsey's pretty impossible because of the resulting $20M cap hit, which is massive, even if spread over two years. And that's besides the fact that his value is very low (maybe a 3rd rounder) right now due to a way below expectations rookie year. Dorsey may actually have value to us as a DE in a 3-4, either as a starter or reserve. There are 3-4 DEs who are bigger than him (Aaron Smith, Ty Warren, etc.).

It's hard (but fun) to decide what to do in the draft right now because we haven't gone trough FA yet. Frankly, given the probably immense overhaul needed if we go to a 3-4, I'm the slightest bit worried that our OL will be left in the cold again this draft.

It is still hard to say that we will change to a 3-4. I know Pioli was part of a Patriots team that had good success in a 3-4, but that is not the only type of defense that works. With the personnel we have, I have to think that Pioli will choose a DC who will run a 4-3. We are only a few players short of having a good 4-3 defense. Bring in a guy like Leslie Frazier who worked under guys like Jim Johnson, Tony Dungy, and Marvin Lewis.

Pioli has a big decision here, but if he does decide to go to a 3-4, that will put our defense back a year.

jmlamerson
01-28-2009, 02:17 PM
It is still hard to say that we will change to a 3-4. I know Pioli was part of a Patriots team that had good success in a 3-4, but that is not the only type of defense that works. With the personnel we have, I have to think that Pioli will choose a DC who will run a 4-3. We are only a few players short of having a good 4-3 defense. Bring in a guy like Leslie Frazier who worked under guys like Jim Johnson, Tony Dungy, and Marvin Lewis.

Pioli has a big decision here, but if he does decide to go to a 3-4, that will put our defense back a year.

Not to sound too negative, but we're not really a couple players away, even in the 4-3. At the very least, we need a new RDT, RDE, MLB, ROLB, and FS. That doesn't even factor in question marks like Hali and Dorsey, or underachievers like DJ. It'll be at least two years before we're a top-15 defense.

I think Pioli will hire his HC and let his HC decide the new DC. My gut says we move to the 3-4 either this season or next.

And I agree, we're nuts if we don't interview Frazier.

theaxeeffect4311
01-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Not to sound too negative, but we're not really a couple players away, even in the 4-3. At the very least, we need a new RDT, RDE, MLB, ROLB, and FS. That doesn't even factor in question marks like Hali and Dorsey, or underachievers like DJ. It'll be at least two years before we're a top-15 defense.

I think Pioli will hire his HC and let his HC decide the new DC. My gut says we move to the 3-4 either this season or next.

And I agree, we're nuts if we don't interview Frazier.

That isn't that bad. Looking into next season, I think the positions on defense that will be taken care of will be RDE, MLB, and ROLB. We can get by with guys like Page and Tyler. We may not by a top 15 defense, but just fixing those three positions will change the way our defense looks. I'm not about rankings as long as we win some games.

And who remembers how our defense ranked in 2007 with Jared Allen?

jmlamerson
01-28-2009, 02:43 PM
That isn't that bad. Looking into next season, I think the positions on defense that will be taken care of will be RDE, MLB, and ROLB. We can get by with guys like Page and Tyler. We may not by a top 15 defense, but just fixing those three positions will change the way our defense looks. I'm not about rankings as long as we win some games.

And who remembers how our defense ranked in 2007 with Jared Allen?

True. Although I'll always believe that the most unheralded mistake we made this season was cutting Napo. He was an above average MLB who led the Chiefs in tackles in 2007. When we cut him, the middle of the field became a vacuum for us.

Think about it - over the past two offseasons we ditched Sammy Knight, Jared Allen, Napo, Jimmy Wilkerson, Kawika Mitchell, and Keyaron Fox in the offseason. These would have been our 2008 ROLB, MLB, and DE, with a couple valuable reserves. What are our biggest needs again this offseason?

theaxeeffect4311
01-28-2009, 02:52 PM
True. Although I'll always believe that the most unheralded mistake we made this season was cutting Napo. He was an above average MLB who led the Chiefs in tackles in 2007. When we cut him, the middle of the field became a vacuum for us.

Think about it - over the past two offseasons we ditched Sammy Knight, Jared Allen, Napo, Jimmy Wilkerson, Kawika Mitchell, and Keyaron Fox in the offseason. These would have been our 2008 ROLB, MLB, and DE, with a couple valuable reserves. What are our biggest needs again this offseason?

CB. Wait, NO. Stop it Herm.

I was surprised about Harris as well. The guy was not bad. He filled the role better than anyone we had. He went to the Vikings and started at MLB because of injuries. Vikings were #1 against the run this year (not because of him, but he filled the role they needed at MLB, which he could have been doing for us). But Carl is gone and Herm is gone. This year we should see some competent choices coming from the front office.

texaschief
01-28-2009, 05:26 PM
any coach worth a crap will develop a system around the available talent. if the young talent in the organization doesn't allow for a certain defense, that defense won't be utilitzed. just because they bring in a coach who ran a certain defense at one point in his career doesn't mean he doesn't know how to run another kind of defense. if certain players who are considered to be part of the foundation in KC, aren't well suited for the 3-4, chances are, no matter who comes in to be the DC, they won't impliment that specific system.

tearing this team back down, just to bring in new players who fit a system, makes no sense whatsoever. if Crennell or any other coach they bring, can't develop the proper system to utilize the available talent, they shouldn't be a DC in the first place.

It would be like an OC asking Huard to perform in a bootleg heavy system just because that was all the OC had experience running previously. That is just stupid logic.

KristofLaw
01-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Acquiring J.Pepp would help to alleviate alot of our defensive problems. Some players learn more quickly through the help of the double-team offenses scheme. I think if we are to get either Suggs or Peppers, this would help in Dorseys development dramatically. It's impossible to over-haul the entire D in one year, we are going to have to rely on the players we keep to utilize the abilities that got them their shot in the NFL.

Codac
01-29-2009, 04:47 PM
any coach worth a crap will develop a system around the available talent. if the young talent in the organization doesn't allow for a certain defense, that defense won't be utilitzed. just because they bring in a coach who ran a certain defense at one point in his career doesn't mean he doesn't know how to run another kind of defense. if certain players who are considered to be part of the foundation in KC, aren't well suited for the 3-4, chances are, no matter who comes in to be the DC, they won't impliment that specific system.

tearing this team back down, just to bring in new players who fit a system, makes no sense whatsoever. if Crennell or any other coach they bring, can't develop the proper system to utilize the available talent, they shouldn't be a DC in the first place.

It would be like an OC asking Huard to perform in a bootleg heavy system just because that was all the OC had experience running previously. That is just stupid logic.

Yea. I like Cover 2. Its been proven effective. Tampa and Indy used it, and won a super bowl with it. Thats what Herm and Carl drafted for. I'm just not sure our Defense has the right keys for the lock we have yet to open. I like the 3-4. If we could pick up a few different LB's and obviously a DE I think we could do it. The talent is there. Not to mention youth. With youth comes the ability to adjust and adapt.

I'm gonna vote for Michael Ketchum our Assistant DC to become our new DC. Thats my vote.

Pro_Angler
01-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Personally, I think its pretty close to a given that Haley will be our new HC. Who would everyone like to see as our defensive coordinator. I was thinking about how someone (can't remember who) said they saw Dennis Green in town. I think that would be a good choice.

You guys and your Haley. Stop the devil talk please or we are all doomed for another 3-4 years while the chiefs find out he sucks.

KC2thend
01-29-2009, 08:21 PM
I want to know why everyone is so down on Jarrad Page? He has probably been our most consistent DB. Granted he does give up some big plays, but I think that is more about experience than skill. The guy is a hitter and has the ability to cover the deep middle. I think we need to get away from the cover 2 and play more man to man. Of course that means bringing in a pass rusher because man to man will only work if you can generate a pass rush (which we obviously couldn't last year). Our secondary could be good for years to come if we can get a front 7 to go along with it.

theaxeeffect4311
01-30-2009, 12:25 AM
I want to know why everyone is so down on Jarrad Page? He has probably been our most consistent DB. Granted he does give up some big plays, but I think that is more about experience than skill. The guy is a hitter and has the ability to cover the deep middle. I think we need to get away from the cover 2 and play more man to man. Of course that means bringing in a pass rusher because man to man will only work if you can generate a pass rush (which we obviously couldn't last year). Our secondary could be good for years to come if we can get a front 7 to go along with it.

The only reason I think Page had a bad year is because he had poor tackling all year. Any time when a safety is making the tackle, they have to make it because they do not know who is behind them, usually no one. He did pretty well in coverage and got beat a few times, but we could blame that on the pass rush, since you can't cover someone for an entire minute. However, I think that once we go away from the cover 2, the safeties will be looked at in a different perspective.

Canada
01-30-2009, 12:49 AM
You guys and your Haley. Stop the devil talk please or we are all doomed for another 3-4 years while the chiefs find out he sucks.

Sources?

KristofLaw
01-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Nothing to do with Romeo... they're Cleveland.

jmlamerson
01-30-2009, 10:13 AM

I'll handle this one. Page was miserable this year in coverage, and was consistently beat deep. He was also terrible as a tackler, and missed several tackles every single game.

Of course we need to ditch the Cover 2 and go man-to-man. But Page is a liability in both schemes. He wouldn't be hired as a backup on most teams. He's only been starting on the Chiefs because Herm wanted to prove he was a genius by starting late round picks.

theaxeeffect4311
01-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Nothing to do with Romeo... they're Cleveland.

I agree. Plus, it is not the same for a DC as a head coach. When he's focused on the defense, I think he does a good job. I wouldn't mind him as a DC. Plus, he's better than what we've had.

NWA Chief
01-30-2009, 11:46 PM
The only reason I think Page had a bad year is because he had poor tackling all year. Any time when a safety is making the tackle, they have to make it because they do not know who is behind them, usually no one. He did pretty well in coverage and got beat a few times, but we could blame that on the pass rush, since you can't cover someone for an entire minute. However, I think that once we go away from the cover 2, the safeties will be looked at in a different perspective.

Bro, I don't mean to hate on your comment but I just wanted to let you know this. He's a safety. Think about this, safety is the last line of defense on 99% of plays. There isn't supposed to be anyone behind Page except for mabye Pollard, the other safety. I'm not trying to hate on you but there was alot of missed tackles before they runner makes it to Page. We gotta get a DE and start thinking about someone in case somehow we don't get Julius Peppers.

Chiefster
01-31-2009, 12:17 AM
I feel a lot of love in this room. :D

theaxeeffect4311
01-31-2009, 02:52 AM
Bro, I don't mean to hate on your comment but I just wanted to let you know this. He's a safety. Think about this, safety is the last line of defense on 99% of plays. There isn't supposed to be anyone behind Page except for mabye Pollard, the other safety. I'm not trying to hate on you but there was alot of missed tackles before they runner makes it to Page. We gotta get a DE and start thinking about someone in case somehow we don't get Julius Peppers.

What does that have to do with Page? A guy asked why everyone thought Page had a bad year and I gave him my explanation. Maybe you should go back and read the prior parts of this thread.

By the way, I know what a safety is. If you read my comment you would have seen that I said that there is usually no one behind Page if he misses the tackle. However, there is an exception because the safety position has evolved over the years to where a safety is now making tackles in the backfield (see safeties like Troy Polamalu or Brian Dawkins). That being said, his tackling should be BEST on the team if he is the last line of the defense. So what point are you trying to make?

Bike
01-31-2009, 12:57 PM
You answered your own question.

prough91
01-31-2009, 04:22 PM

Sources?

Yeah. Why you think that?

NWA Chief
01-31-2009, 05:29 PM
What does that have to do with Page? A guy asked why everyone thought Page had a bad year and I gave him my explanation. Maybe you should go back and read the prior parts of this thread.

By the way, I know what a safety is. If you read my comment you would have seen that I said that there is usually no one behind Page if he misses the tackle. However, there is an exception because the safety position has evolved over the years to where a safety is now making tackles in the backfield (see safeties like Troy Polamalu or Brian Dawkins). That being said, his tackling should be BEST on the team if he is the last line of the defense. So what point are you trying to make?
We need to worry more about the problems in the front seven rather than Page. If we can get a LB and DE, that will take a lot of tackling opportunities away from Page. Which is good because you don't always want youre safety making the most tackles. Palamoulu and Dawkins aren't in the same comparison to Page because they run completely different schemes to let them get more tackles. Palamoulu is their best player and they put him in a position to makes the most plays. We have Page as a guy that is not up on the ball nearly as much as either of those safeties. Dawkins and Palamoulu are for sure HOF players, you can't use them in comparison.

theaxeeffect4311
02-02-2009, 02:17 AM
We need to worry more about the problems in the front seven rather than Page. If we can get a LB and DE, that will take a lot of tackling opportunities away from Page. Which is good because you don't always want youre safety making the most tackles. Palamoulu and Dawkins aren't in the same comparison to Page because they run completely different schemes to let them get more tackles. Palamoulu is their best player and they put him in a position to makes the most plays. We have Page as a guy that is not up on the ball nearly as much as either of those safeties. Dawkins and Palamoulu are for sure HOF players, you can't use them in comparison.

Of course Page is not a top priority. We should be looking at free agents like Vilma and Peppers at the top of our list. Players like Asomugha and Gross would be nice, but they will probably be staying with their teams. However, like you pointed out, he is not elite. Therefore, the Chiefs will think about whether or not they keep him. I think they will since they can sign him cheap. So why do you keep talking about Page? This is a thread about the Chiefs' next defensive coordinator. If you want to respond to KC2thend about your love for Page, then respond to him.

texaschief
02-02-2009, 02:19 AM
This comment probably belongs here as well:

If we do bring on Haley, Bill Davis (Cardinal LB coach) sounds like a good DC candidate who would be in favor of a 4-3 under defense mixed in with some 3-4. That type of defense might be the best way to transition the team built for the 4-3 to move to the 3-4.

theaxeeffect4311
02-02-2009, 02:25 AM
This comment probably belongs here as well:

If we do bring on Haley, Bill Davis (Cardinal LB coach) sounds like a good DC candidate who would be in favor of a 4-3 under defense mixed in with some 3-4. That type of defense might be the best way to transition the team built for the 4-3 to move to the 3-4.

I am impressed at the progress the Cardinals' linebackers have had over the season. However, how long has he been with the team? Have they became better over his years with them? I think it's important choice of who Haley brings in as DC, but I am not happy with the choice of Haley. He did play well to the strengths of the offense, but I am not sure that he can handle the leadership of an entire team.

texaschief
02-02-2009, 02:34 AM
I am impressed at the progress the Cardinals' linebackers have had over the season. However, how long has he been with the team? Have they became better over his years with them? I think it's important choice of who Haley brings in as DC, but I am not happy with the choice of Haley. He did play well to the strengths of the offense, but I am not sure that he can handle the leadership of an entire team.

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm also not in favor of bringing in an offensive HC. But, this is looking like it's becoming a reality. So, we need to start looking at the likely candidates that he'd bring in. I'm sure Davis is probably at the top of his list. If Davis does come and Dansby ISN'T franchised, I wouldn't be shocked to see him come. With Edwards gone, we lost the advantage we had for signing Vilma. With Rex Ryan not coming, we lost any advantage we'd have for any of the Baltimore FA's.

theaxeeffect4311
02-02-2009, 02:48 AM
Couldn't agree with you more. I'm also not in favor of bringing in an offensive HC. But, this is looking like it's becoming a reality. So, we need to start looking at the likely candidates that he'd bring in. I'm sure Davis is probably at the top of his list. If Davis does come and Dansby ISN'T franchised, I wouldn't be shocked to see him come. With Edwards gone, we lost the advantage we had for signing Vilma. With Rex Ryan not coming, we lost any advantage we'd have for any of the Baltimore FA's.

Dansby is a fine MLB. I would like him. I thought with the youth of the Cardinals team, he would choose to stay there. But if his LB coach comes to KC as the DC, yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing him come to KC. He is a leader on defense. I would like that. However, I wouldn't mind Vilma either. Hopefully, we grab at least one of them.

chiefsfreak4life
02-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Dansby is a fine MLB. I would like him. I thought with the youth of the Cardinals team, he would choose to stay there. But if his LB coach comes to KC as the DC, yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing him come to KC. He is a leader on defense. I would like that. However, I wouldn't mind Vilma either. Hopefully, we grab at least one of them.

Davis has alot of experience, not as a DC, but as defensive assistant and linebackers coach. If we got him and got a leg up on DAnsby, I would be all for it!!!!

valley_22
02-04-2009, 02:25 PM
The thing about Romeo is, well we all know Bellichick was the reason for the success.

Something this organization has lacked for years is, hot coaching prospects. You need cordinators who are going to be HC's and position coaches who are going to be cordinators. Gunther excluded when was the last time a Cheif cordinator was promoted to a HC? Cowher?

DT14PRIEST
02-07-2009, 03:37 AM
A D-Coord. I'd like to see (or rather a man I'd like to take a shot at being a first time D-Coord.) would be current Steelers LB Coach Keith Butler. I'd have little problem giving him a shot at the D-Coord spot this coming year if possible seeing as how he (along with LeBeau of course) have groomed some of the best LB's in the game (Porter, Farrior, Harrison etc...).

He's developed talent and has a nose for smash mouth football coming from the Dick LeBeau stock of Steeler defenses and I think he'd be a great fit.

slc chief
02-07-2009, 11:16 AM
[quote=DT14PRIEST;116691]A D-Coord. I'd like to see (or rather a man I'd like to take a shot at being a first time D-Coord.) would be current Steelers LB Coach Keith Butler. I'd have little problem giving him a shot at the D-Coord spot this coming year if possible seeing as how he (along with LeBeau of course) have groomed some of the best LB's in the game (Porter, Farrior, Harrison etc...).

He's developed talent and has a nose for smash mouth football coming from the Dick LeBeau stock of Steeler de
fenses and I think he'd be a great fit.[/quo

I LIKE THAT PICK

Fin Fan In Cali
02-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Hey Brothers, and sisters! Congrats on the hire. I wanted to check and see if you heard anything about Bowles from Miami being your next DC? Also what are some good papers to read up on for Chiefs news?

Thanks,
John

jap1
02-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Welcome back. I havent heard the name being passed around too much, but I wouldnt mind it. He seemed to get your D in line. And he has the whole Parcells connection thing.

Im not from KC myself, but I always look at the KC star's website. They have a blog dedicated to the Chiefs and also list recent Chief's-related article along the side. Here is the link: Red Zone (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/)

Enjoy.

Hey Brothers, and sisters! Congrats on the hire. I wanted to check and see if you heard anything about Bowles from Miami being your next DC? Also what are some good papers to read up on for Chiefs news?

Thanks,
John

Fin Fan In Cali
02-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Welcome back. I havent heard the name being passed around too much, but I wouldnt mind it. He seemed to get your D in line. And he has the whole Parcells connection thing.

Im not from KC myself, but I always look at the KC star's website. They have a blog dedicated to the Chiefs and also list recent Chief's-related article along the side. Here is the link: Red Zone (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/)

Enjoy.Thanks.:bananen_smilies046:

Fin Fan In Cali
02-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Fantasy Football, Baseball and Basketball - news, projections, rankings, draft guide - Rotoworld.com (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL)

ESPN's John Clayton calls Dallas a possible destination for fired Cardinals defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast.
Kansas City to coordinate Todd Haley's defense would likely be Pendergast's preferred landing spot. He's rumored to be on Haley and Scott Pioli's short list. Other Chiefs candidates may include Paul Pasqualoni and Todd Bowles.

josh1971
02-10-2009, 02:00 AM
Didn't the Cards have kind of a bad Defense last year?

yashi
02-10-2009, 09:21 AM
I haven't really been following this thread, but as already been mentioned I think Steelers LB coach Keith Butler is going to be an amazing DC. He's done wonders with James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

texaschief
02-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Butler is interviewing with the Cardinals today. Wisenhunt lets him get out of Arizona without a contract. They have a history together. But, that might open the door for the Chiefs to grab Bill Davis from the Arizona coaching staff. I've read that Davis is the clubhouse favorite for the DC position in Arizona.

Oregon_Chief
02-11-2009, 02:33 AM
All this discussion about implementing the 3-4 or sticking with a version of the 4-3. All I have to say is that every defensive system works if you have the right personnel. There is no "magic" defensive system that wins Super Bowls. The teams that win Super Bowls are teams that have the best players that best fit the schemes they run.

People are down on the Tampa 2 defense because it hasn't worked in KC. But when you don't have the talent to execute the scheme, of course it isn't going to work. It worked in Tampa because they had a defense loaded with future HOF players like Warren Sapp, Simien Rice, Derrick Brooks, John Lynch and Rhonde Barber.

Instead of trying to fit square pegs into round holes, I think whomever the Chiefs tab as the next defensive coordinator needs to build the defensive scheme around the abilities of the young players on the roster.

The 3-4 is en vogue because the Steelers and Pats have won a combined five Super Bowls with that scheme this decade. That doesn't necessarily mean that you have to run the 3-4 defense to win a Super Bowl. The Bucs, Colts, and Giants have all won Super Bowls this decade with 4-3 defenses because they've had the personnel to execute them well. The Bears, Eagles, Vikings and Jags have also had a lot of success with the system as well because they have the right personnel to run it well.