PDA

View Full Version : UFA and FA Market

dbolan
01-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I was just reviewing the market and by all means, we should be able to make a nice splash at any position, or more one position with what is available.

If we use our picks wisely, and scout well, along with the FA market, on a very serious note, we could do some serious damage this year.

2009 NFL Free Agents (http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html)

josh1971
01-28-2009, 04:11 PM
I like that Vilma cat- sounds like he would be a solid tackler to pick up. I don't really think Baltimore is going to let Suggs or Lewis walk out of town.

But if we could pick up Peppers and Vilma, that would be nice.

kcmostwanted
01-28-2009, 04:41 PM
I think our splash will have to be the 2010-11 season... have you seen the 09-10 schedule??? It's about as rough as they come..

That being said, we definitely need to splurge in the Free agent market for impact players.

honda522
01-28-2009, 08:09 PM
I'd take Devery Henderson, we need another vet WR too scare teams with our pass attack, also Sproles, Peppers, and Mike Peterson.

I don't think any of the Baltimore crew will be leaving as they are faithful to the Ravens. Yea, imagine Bart Scott on the Chiefs :)

OH, Jeff Saturday FA?!

Haha, Montey Biesl still plays??

KristofLaw
01-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Here's a few free agents I have my eyes on: 1.Julius Peppers 2.Jonathon Vilma 3.Albert Haynesworth 4.Jordan Gross 5.Karlos Dansby 6.Sean Jones 7.Matt Birk 8.Dunta Robinson 9.T.J. Houshmandzadeh 10.Darren Sproles 11.Antonio Bryant 12.Nnamdi Asomugha 13.Jeff Garcia 14.Byron Leftwich 15.David Carr 16.Marquis Tuiasosopo 17.Lorenzo Neal; a combo or even one of the key guys on this list would help our team significantly. I didn't include any Ravens LBs because I don't believe they are going anywhere. Maybe Scott, but in all likely-hood he will be over-paid in comparison to a better player in Vilma.

theaxeeffect4311
01-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Here's a few free agents I have my eyes on: 1.Julius Peppers 2.Jonathon Vilma 3.Albert Haynesworth 4.Jordan Gross 5.Karlos Dansby 6.Sean Jones 7.Matt Birk 8.Dunta Robinson 9.T.J. Houshmandzadeh 10.Darren Sproles 11.Antonio Bryant 12.Nnamdi Asomugha 13.Jeff Garcia 14.Byron Leftwich 15.David Carr 16.Marquis Tuiasosopo 17.Lorenzo Neal; a combo or even one of the key guys on this list would help our team significantly. I didn't include any Ravens LBs because I don't believe they are going anywhere. Maybe Scott, but in all likely-hood he will be over-paid in comparison to a better player in Vilma.

The hard part is knowing who will be leaving their team and who won't. It looks like Peppers wants out of Carolina, but who knows if Carolina will just let him go. Gross looks to be either signed long term or franchise tagged. Vilma looks to be the only sure thing because the Saints will lose their first round pick in a trade because of Vilma. The Saints are not real good at this trading thing. I don't know about Dansby. I think that will depend if they choose to stick with Kurt Warner. He may jet if they want to put in Matt Leinart. I know I would. Haynesworth will probably be staying with the Titans since they are a playoff team now. And who knows what will happen to Housh...but I would like him here.

hometeam
01-29-2009, 09:14 AM
I would love to see Vilma on the Chiefs. You have got to remember this guy is a former defensive rookie of the year, still young, and he is a tackling machine! Hopefully it will rub off on some of the other players.

balto
01-29-2009, 09:41 AM
I believe I saw some where that Peppers could NOT be Franchised this year??? Some thing in his contract I think.

And it sounds like Vilma will be gone (why would they give up there first rounder)

So maybe we can make a run at Peppers AND Vilma

Then we wouldn't have to worry about reaching on a DE or MLB with our first rounder.

HMMMM BUT If we got Vilma for MLB we could still grab Curry to play OLB MUAHAHA

brish
01-29-2009, 10:36 AM
HMMMM BUT If we got Vilma for MLB we could still grab Curry to play OLB MUAHAHA

That would turn a dreadful linebacker corps into the strength of the defense with one swoosh.. I'd like that..

Then we could focus on OL and a stud DE.

jmlamerson
01-29-2009, 11:25 AM

1.Julius Peppers - agree entirely. Whether he's a 3-4 LB or a 4-3 DE, he'd be a perfect fit for this team.

2.Jonathon Vilma - A bit undersized, and wouldn't be a good fit if we go to a 3-4, but the best FA MLB.

3.Albert Haynesworth - My number 1 FA. We need him on this team next year.

4.Jordan Gross - agree entirely. A long shot, but possible.

5.Karlos Dansby - can't see him leaving the Cardinals after this season, either because he's franchised or because he signs long-term. But I'd love to have him.

6.Sean Jones - It would be difficult to convert him to FS from SS. And we have enough young SSs.

7.Matt Birk - I'd rather draft a C, but he'd be fine if we can get him at a reasonable price.

8.Dunta Robinson - Probably would be too expensive as an upgrade over Carr. I'd pass.

9.T.J. Houshmandzadeh - My number 3 FA. Would be a perfect fit for this team. I'd be willing to break the bank for him.

10.Darren Sproles - too small to play well on anything but astroturf. Pass.

11.Antonio Bryant - Interesting pickup. Probably will resign with the Bucs, though, and will probably be overpriced.

12.Nnamdi Asomugha - My number 2 FA. Would be an awesome, awesome pickup if the Raiders don't franchise.

13.Jeff Garcia - Pass. Big time. No better than Thigpen and would create QB controversy.

14.Byron Leftwich - See Jeff Garcia.

15.David Carr - Would be fine a 2QB, but I think the Giants hold onto him.

16.Marquis Tuiasosopo - Pass.

17.Lorenzo Neal - Would be perfect as our FB.

I would also add Mike Peterson of the Jags if we can't get Vilma, Marvel Smith (OT) of Pittsburgh, and Mark Tauscher (OT) of Green Bay on my wish list.

I also agree that it looks like Bart Scott, Ray Lewis, and Terrell Suggs are staying with the Ravens.

hometeam
01-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Why couldnt Vilma play 3-4?

Seems to me hes just a damn good football player. Also, we dont run 3-4 no matter how much I wish we did ha!

yashi
01-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Why couldnt Vilma play 3-4?

Seems to me hes just a damn good football player. Also, we dont run 3-4 no matter how much I wish we did ha!
the reason Vilma is no longer a Jet is because of his ineffectiveness as a ILB in a 3-4. He's simply not big or strong enough to take on a lineman.

jmlamerson
01-29-2009, 01:35 PM
the reason Vilma is no longer a Jet is because of his ineffectiveness as a ILB in a 3-4. He's simply not big or strong enough to take on a lineman.

Yeah. Vilma would be a perfect Cover 2 MLB with his size and speed, and he might be a better fit on a team like the Vikings or Colts than the defense I imagine we'll start running. I want someone bigger in the middle of our field in a 3-4, or even a blitz heavy 4-3.

And we don't run the 3-4 yet. Our schemes are all getting blown up this offseason.

Codac
01-29-2009, 04:19 PM
I like Haynesworth a lot. But what would be the point, if we could sign him, of signing him. We spent big money on Dorsey. That wouldn't be a smart pick-up.

We don't need any more QB's. We have Gray, and Croyle. Both are decent back-ups. Plus the draft I'm gonna bet my bottom dollar Pioli will get a late-rounder.

Peppers would be nice, but if he isn't franchised he is gonna be hella expensive. But we could really use him. Same for Vilma.

We really really really need to get at least 2 big offseason pickups. Preferably both of them being Defensive players.

I like Antonio Byrant. He has size and speed. We could use a #2 WR. I like Bradley but can he stay healthy and can he keep producing? Miles Austin in Dallas is an interesting target. He is a RFA. But depending on what they ask I think we should take a look. Drew Carter or Ashley Lelie?

How about Max Starks at LT? He plays for Pittsburgh, and at the Media Day on Tuesday he sounded like he wanted to go somewhere else.

Thoughts?

honda522
01-30-2009, 12:18 AM
I like Haynesworth a lot. But what would be the point, if we could sign him, of signing him. We spent big money on Dorsey. That wouldn't be a smart pick-up.

We don't need any more QB's. We have Gray, and Croyle. Both are decent back-ups. Plus the draft I'm gonna bet my bottom dollar Pioli will get a late-rounder.

Peppers would be nice, but if he isn't franchised he is gonna be hella expensive. But we could really use him. Same for Vilma.

We really really really need to get at least 2 big offseason pickups. Preferably both of them being Defensive players.

I like Antonio Byrant. He has size and speed. We could use a #2 WR. I like Bradley but can he stay healthy and can he keep producing? Miles Austin in Dallas is an interesting target. He is a RFA. But depending on what they ask I think we should take a look. Drew Carter or Ashley Lelie?

How about Max Starks at LT? He plays for Pittsburgh, and at the Media Day on Tuesday he sounded like he wanted to go somewhere else.

Thoughts?
Croyle?? :D He is going to get cut. He couldn't stay healthy if he was superman.

Ashley Lelie? Just raider left over trash. He was ok awhile when he was a falcon but not now.

theaxeeffect4311
01-30-2009, 12:42 AM

Thoughts?

The reason to take Haynesworth is because he is a dominate force on the inside. The Chiefs will only target him if they stick with the 4-3 defense. Him along with Dorsey would be pretty great. He would take pressure off of Dorsey and give him a mentor. Just because we would invest a lot of money at the DT position with these two players does not make it a bad choice. It is just like any team who puts a lot of money on two wide receivers (Anquan Boldin/Larry Fitzgerald).

Starks is probably not going to leave Pittsburgh. I know what you are talking about and even that did not seem like he was done in Pittsburgh. Their O-line just got beat up this season. If he does become a free agent, he could make a good RT (I think Albert is better than him at LT) if he signs cheap. Same thing with Antonio Bryant. I'll accept that signing if he signs cheap. I'm not sure this guy will continue to be the player he was this season (he was amazing this season) or if he'll go back to being lazy.

But Peppers is a must. Sign him up for 5 years and give him whatever kind of money he wants.

Sn@keIze
01-30-2009, 01:01 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if Pioli somehow brought Cassell over here from New England. And then let him and Thig play for it in the preseason. Then we would be setting pretty for the QB spot.

Other than that I say LB and/or DT. I think LB is more likely because if we do go 3-4, we are already invested in Dorsey. And of course are going to need another LB or two.

And if its the same D they had in NE..add even another 2 or 3 LBs.

jmlamerson
01-30-2009, 10:07 AM

Thoughts?

You're worried about health and production, but you want Croyle?! The most brittle and unproductive QB in the league?

And Max Starks didn't sound like he wanted to leave Pittsburgh on Media Day before he's in the SB with them. If you're going to say crazy sh!t like that, you should at least try to find a link.

jmlamerson
01-30-2009, 10:15 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if Pioli somehow brought Cassell over here from New England. And then let him and Thig play for it in the preseason. Then we would be setting pretty for the QB spot.

Other than that I say LB and/or DT. I think LB is more likely because if we do go 3-4, we are already invested in Dorsey. And of course are going to need another LB or two.

And if its the same D they had in NE..add even another 2 or 3 LBs.

If Cassel comes over from NE, it won't be to play for it against a guy who went 1-10 last year. If we get Cassel, he'll be anointed our long term starter from Day 1.

Codac
01-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Croyle will be a fine BACKUP. Its not that I like him, its that he is already signed. We have plenty of QB's. We don't need to waste money on one in the Free Agency. I'm not saying crazy things. Use your head. All you guys just want to sign and release all these players. Its much more than that and you guys know it.

Bike
01-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Croyle will be a fine BACKUP. Its not that I like him, its that he is already signed. We have plenty of QB's. We don't need to waste money on one in the Free Agency. I'm not saying crazy things. Use your head. All you guys just want to sign and release all these players. Its much more than that and you guys know it.
To hell with Croyle. This is his 4th year in the nfl and has yet to win a single freaking game. He really needs to be traded to a dome team where a gust of wind won't take him out...

yashi
01-30-2009, 01:05 PM
sounds like Haynesworth could very well be hitting the open market on February 27.

Albert Haynesworth demands top dollars | www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090130/SPORTS01/901300389/1027)

by the way, as good as he is.. I really don't care for his character. He seems to play his *** off during contract years, and slack off the rest of the time. Definitely comes off as a Me, Me, Me type of person.. and isn't that concerned with the team.

and there's also a certain stomping incident a while back...

with that being said, we really need him on this team.. which is annoying.

Bike
01-30-2009, 01:07 PM
sounds like Haynesworth could very well be hitting the open market on February 27.

Albert Haynesworth demands top dollars | www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090130/SPORTS01/901300389/1027)
Lets get him.

jmlamerson
01-30-2009, 01:13 PM

What's the use of having a backup QB at all if you can't trust him to play in a game?

Croyle has no value to this organization in any capacity.

yashi
01-30-2009, 01:24 PM
What's the use of having a backup QB at all if you can't trust him to play in a game?

Croyle has no value to this organization in any capacity.
Quoted for truth.

I liked Croyle..... when he was actually healthy (almost never). He has one of the strongest arms in the league, and it would have been nice to see him have enough time to fire some bullets deep rather than have him constantly being rushed and having to dump it off, or in most cases.. get sacked.

He's fun to watch when he plays, there's no denying it.. but the fact of the matter is that he's worthless if he can't stay healthy. For him to have any success, he'd have to be playing behind like Denver, Tennessee, or the Giants OL. Somewhere where he'd rarely get touched. That's definitely not here.

Codac
01-30-2009, 02:36 PM
So you get rid of Croyle. What then? Sign one of the Free Agent QB's for more money? Don't forget the cap penalty for releasing Croyle. I suppose you want Kurt Warner, or Jeff Garcia? Or maybe the late-round QB i want to draft? There is A LOT of hate in Chiefs country right now...

theaxeeffect4311
01-30-2009, 02:43 PM
So you get rid of Croyle. What then? Sign one of the Free Agent QB's for more money? Don't forget the cap penalty for releasing Croyle. I suppose you want Kurt Warner, or Jeff Garcia? Or maybe the late-round QB i want to draft? There is A LOT of hate in Chiefs country right now...

I think the Chiefs will draft a QB in the late rounds. The cap penalty for releasing Croyle will be like $300K if that. It's not much that would make a GM think twice. Croyle will be earning around $1M next season, so it's possible he will be cut to save money. It's not hate. It's business. Some of the other guys may be letting feelings get in the way of what they are saying, but when you look at the numbers, Huard and Croyle are probably both on their way out. Gray, Thigpen, and a late round QB would fill the QB corps decently for next season.

And does anyone know the deal on Ingle Martin? Was he signed on to the roster or practice squad?

Bike
01-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Not a thing. Just get rid of him.
We got Thig, Martin, and Gray.

Codac
01-30-2009, 03:02 PM
I think the Chiefs will draft a QB in the late rounds. The cap penalty for releasing Croyle will be like $300K if that. It's not much that would make a GM think twice. Croyle will be earning around $1M next season, so it's possible he will be cut to save money. It's not hate. It's business. Some of the other guys may be letting feelings get in the way of what they are saying, but when you look at the numbers, Huard and Croyle are probably both on their way out. Gray, Thigpen, and a late round QB would fill the QB corps decently for next season.

And does anyone know the deal on Ingle Martin? Was he signed on to the roster or practice squad?

He was signed to the practice squad. I was thinking from a business perspective, but I didn't know the terms of his contract. Thats me speaking without knowing. I know Pioli will get a QB. He always does. I'm just saying in my opinion Croyle is a good backup and we should keep him. Huard is old and ineffective and needs to be released. But Croyle, Gray, and a cheap late-rounder for really cheap should be our QB situation IMO.

Codac
01-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Oh and Thigpen obviously

dbolan
01-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Croyle needs to hit a cycle of HGH and the roids and not be afraid to take pain killers. lol

prough91
01-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Not a thing. Just get rid of him.
We got Thig, Martin, and Gray.

Amen. Thigpen would be a stud if we had a decent o-line. Maybe not hall of fame worthy but good enough to get us to the promised land. If Trent Dilfer could do it, Thig could.

jap1
01-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Amen. Thigpen would be a stud if we had a decent o-line. Maybe not hall of fame worthy but good enough to get us to the promised land. If Trent Dilfer could do it, Thig could.

Exactly. Spend the 2 seasons building our OL and Defense, and we wont need a HOF QB to get us there. Just someone to make a first down here and there when we need it. Thiggy is capable of that.

prough91
01-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Exactly. Spend the 2 seasons building our OL and Defense, and we wont need a HOF QB to get us there. Just someone to make a first down here and there when we need it. Thiggy is capable of that.

Thiggy may never be a superstar, but I bet he can be a good solid qb.

jmlamerson
01-31-2009, 07:15 PM

I agree, provisionally. I reserve the right to change my opinion of Thigpen in 2010, when that rich QB class enters the draft, and there are about 5 good FA QBs.

I will offer a word of warning. Look at the playoffs this year. You had four guys who won a previous SB (Manning, Manning, Rothlisberger, and Warner), you had two 1st round rookies (Flacco and Ryan), three SB losing QBs (McNabb, Delhome, and Collins), two previous 1st rounders who haven't been to a SB (Rivers and Pennington), and a 2nd rounder who hasn't won a SB (Tavaris Jackson).

In short, that's nine first round QBs, one 2nd round QB, and two undrafted guys, both of whom didn't really take off until they hit 30 years old. The brief era of plugging low-pick QBs into offenses and making the playoffs may be over.

Codac
02-01-2009, 03:04 PM
You guys sure think Thigpen is good. You do know what happened to Derek Anderson, Greg Maddox, Greg Cook, Rob Johnson? I'm sure there are many more. Quit thinking Thigpen is so freaking good. He did good this past season. Good for him. Lets see how he does next season then start talking.

jmlamerson
02-01-2009, 04:50 PM
You guys sure think Thigpen is good. You do know what happened to Derek Anderson, Greg Maddox, Greg Cook, Rob Johnson? I'm sure there are many more. Quit thinking Thigpen is so freaking good. He did good this past season. Good for him. Lets see how he does next season then start talking.

Are you even trying to make sense anymore? How does the fact that there have been one-year wonders on other teams have anything to do with this situation? Could Thigpen be a bust? Sure. Could he be the next Tom Brady? Sure. You don't know until the season starts.

And I can't remember you ever saying who'd you rather have for 2009. I know I've asked.

Codac
02-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Are you even trying to make sense anymore? How does the fact that there have been one-year wonders on other teams have anything to do with this situation? Could Thigpen be a bust? Sure. Could he be the next Tom Brady? Sure. You don't know until the season starts.

And I can't remember you ever saying who'd you rather have for 2009. I know I've asked.

First off. Didn't I JUST SAY that we won't know how good he is until next season??? I said what I said because everyone on this forum seems to believe that Thigpen is the next big thing, that he is so freaking good just because he had ONE DECENT season, in an Offensive scheme we aren't keeping.

I have said plenty of times that Thigpen is the man for THIS year. I answered your question about 10 times. I'm just not convinced he is our QBotF like everyone believes he is.

jmlamerson
02-01-2009, 05:20 PM
First off. Didn't I JUST SAY that we won't know how good he is until next season??? I said what I said because everyone on this forum seems to believe that Thigpen is the next big thing, that he is so freaking good just because he had ONE DECENT season, in an Offensive scheme we aren't keeping.

I have said plenty of times that Thigpen is the man for THIS year. I answered your question about 10 times. I'm just not convinced he is our QBotF like everyone believes he is.

If you agree that he should start next year, then there's no point in saying "Quit thinking Thigpen is so freaking good" unless your just trying to provoke argument.

And everyone's pretty much said that we should give him the reins for 2009 and make a final decision after the season. You're not even close to having a unique thought there.

yashi
02-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I don't like this.

http://www.carolinagrowl.com/Read.aspx?Story=1019

Basically, the Panthers beat writer believes that since Peppers doesn't want to play for Carolina, they'll sign Gross and franchise Peppers then trade him. He says they'll be looking for close to what we got for Jared Allen last year.

If Peppers is franchised, then screw that. We can't give away all those draft picks.

jmlamerson
02-04-2009, 09:59 AM
I don't like this.

Basically, the Panthers beat writer believes that since Peppers doesn't want to play for Carolina, they'll sign Gross and franchise Peppers then trade him. He says they'll be looking for close to what we got for Jared Allen last year.

If Peppers is franchised, then screw that. We can't give away all those draft picks.

There's no one who will give up a 1st and two 3rds for Peppers. He's too old and has had too many down years. I could see a team giving a second for him, but that's the extent of it.

KristofLaw
02-04-2009, 06:51 PM
I don't like this.

This would be a smart move on Carolina's part except they have very little cap space. I believe the tag would cost in the neighbourhood of 17mil, and Carolina at present has appx 8mil. They will have alot of clearance to do just to get some picks unless their allowed to go above the cap to work a trade?