PDA

View Full Version : should the kc chiefs go after ray lewis

marloweopatchiefs
02-01-2009, 11:05 AM
i seen he's going to be an unrestricted free agent! just a thought but he is getting old

balto
02-01-2009, 11:07 AM
HE will most likely stay with the Ravens. Even if it means a pay cut, BUT him and Suggs are Really close and if we could land a guy like Cowher as HC and make the switch to a 3-4 then maybe Suggs and Lewis would come to KC as a pair MUAHAHAHA

hometeam
02-01-2009, 11:23 AM
no.

good player still, great motivator, also helped his friends murder someone.

I dont like that :/

jmlamerson
02-01-2009, 11:29 AM
i seen he's going to be an unrestricted free agent! just a thought but he is getting old

Unless we offered Ray Lewis way in excess of his market value, there's no way he comes to the Chiefs. We have the wrong personnel and scheme as far as he's concerned.

And since our defense isn't exactly one player away from being decent, I don't see the point of overpaying Ray Lewis for what should be really only a 2-3 year window.

slc chief
02-01-2009, 11:46 AM
nope keep him out of here

honda522
02-01-2009, 11:47 AM
I would say yeah probably. But he is faithful to the Ravens and wont be leaving.

jap1
02-01-2009, 04:21 PM
On ESPN.com, when they asked Ray what he felt about the hometown discount that Suggs mentioned, he gave a vague answer that sounded to me like he was willing to go somewhere else if the price was right.

He said something to the effect of brotherhood is great, but it comes down to business. To me in sports business = $$. I dont think he is as loyal to the Ravens as everyone thinks.

That being said, I think the only way I would consider him is if we went to a 3-4 and drafted a MLB like maualuga. Since Ray only has 2-3 years left, I wouldnt mind overpaying him to mentor maualuga for two or 3 years and instill some pride into our defense. But otherwise I dont think he will be playing long enough to want to come here.

jmlamerson
02-01-2009, 04:54 PM
On ESPN.com, when they asked Ray what he felt about the hometown discount that Suggs mentioned, he gave a vague answer that sounded to me like he was willing to go somewhere else if the price was right.

He said something to the effect of brotherhood is great, but it comes down to business. To me in sports business = $$. I dont think he is as loyal to the Ravens as everyone thinks.

That being said, I think the only way I would consider him is if we went to a 3-4 and drafted a MLB like maualuga. Since Ray only has 2-3 years left, I wouldnt mind overpaying him to mentor maualuga for two or 3 years and instill some pride into our defense. But otherwise I dont think he will be playing long enough to want to come here.

Well, he would also need for us to get an effective NT - remember him pushing for Ngata?

We need to stop this - there's no way Ray Lewis suits up for us in 2009. We don't have the title aspirations or the personnel to entice him.

Codac
02-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Well, he would also need for us to get an effective NT - remember him pushing for Ngata?

We need to stop this - there's no way Ray Lewis suits up for us in 2009. We don't have the title aspirations or the personnel to entice him.

Agreed. Not to mention we don't have Rex Ryan. He will either go to the Jets or stay with the Ravens.

jmlamerson
02-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Agreed. Not to mention we don't have Rex Ryan. He will either go to the Jets or stay with the Ravens.

I don't see him going to the Jets simply because they don't have the cap room.

Ray Lewis will retire a Raven.

okikcfan
02-01-2009, 05:41 PM
KC is now the youngest team in the NFL and Lewis is almost 34 so no I don't see him comming to Kansas City.....

hardcorechiefsfan
02-01-2009, 10:11 PM
no.

Murder? Did he go to trial for it?

Chieffaninfl
02-01-2009, 10:28 PM
No thanks, if we are signing a free agent LB it should be Vilma. He is younger, which we need. People who can gel together for a year or two before we make a Super Bowl run. (wishful thinking)

texaschief
02-02-2009, 02:37 AM
no.

A killer? Isn't that what you want from a defensive leader and your middle linebacker? :sign0104: :D

theaxeeffect4311
02-02-2009, 02:45 AM
No thanks, if we are signing a free agent LB it should be Vilma. He is younger, which we need. People who can gel together for a year or two before we make a Super Bowl run. (wishful thinking)

Agreed. Ray Lewis will not make a big enough mark to worthy of having him in KC.

texaschief
02-02-2009, 02:57 AM
I don't know. He'd bring that killer attitude to this defense. This defense has looked lost and soft the last few seasons. He'd bring that tenacity and show this young team what it takes to be a successful defense in the NFL. There's no denying that he'd bring an entire paradigm shift to this defense and would completely change the culture of the defense's attitude. He's an undeniable leader and that's something this defense is desperately lacking.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in as long as he was the cherry on top. I wouldn't condone bringing him in as the key to your franchise. If we were able to address other needs first and his signing wouldn't interfere, then I'd say hell yeah, bring him in.

theaxeeffect4311
02-02-2009, 03:02 AM
I don't know. He'd bring that killer attitude to this defense. This defense has looked lost and soft the last few seasons. He'd bring that tenacity and show this young team what it takes to be a successful defense in the NFL. There's no denying that he'd bring an entire paradigm shift to this defense and would completely change the culture of the defense's attitude. He's an undeniable leader and that's something this defense is desperately lacking.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in as long as he was the cherry on top. I wouldn't condone bringing him in as the key to your franchise. If we were able to address other needs first and his signing wouldn't interfere, then I'd say hell yeah, bring him in.

But think about how expensive that would be. If we are talking about bringing in a guy like Vilma or Dansby, would they not be adequate leaders on defense? I can understand Ray Lewis would be inspirational, but this all goes to what kind of defense will we be running. If we are running a 4-3, can Lewis still cover enough ground to play LB? The 3-4 Ravens defense may have disguised some of his loss of speed. Just a thought.

texaschief
02-02-2009, 03:24 AM
But think about how expensive that would be. If we are talking about bringing in a guy like Vilma or Dansby, would they not be adequate leaders on defense? I can understand Ray Lewis would be inspirational, but this all goes to what kind of defense will we be running. If we are running a 4-3, can Lewis still cover enough ground to play LB? The 3-4 Ravens defense may have disguised some of his loss of speed. Just a thought.

From what everyone believes, it sounds like we could be making the switch over to the 3-4. But you're right, if we can get Vilma and Dansby, there would be no room for Lewis. And I do realize how expensive he'd be. But, you just never know what's going to happen in free agency each year. If he's still on the market and he'll come cheaper than expected, he'd be worth bringing in.

theaxeeffect4311
02-02-2009, 03:26 AM
From what everyone believes, it sounds like we could be making the switch over to the 3-4. But you're right, if we can get Vilma and Dansby, there would be no room for Lewis. And I do realize how expensive he'd be. But, you just never know what's going to happen in free agency each year. If he's still on the market and he'll come cheaper than expected, he'd be worth bringing in.

No doubt. I would love to have Ray Lewis. But we do not have the personnel to make a complete change over to a 3-4 defense. This season will be interesting. j I don't mind whatever way we go.

okikcfan
02-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Hey, maybe we could bring in Vick too?:lol:

Seek
02-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Ray Lewis is getting to old to play in the NFL. If you need proof, look at his Pot Belly. Yes he is still putting up good numbers, but he is at the point where he body will just call it quits at any moment, IE Donnie Edwads.

We are rebuilding. Lets not set us back by signing a guy near retirement.

Chief4Ever&Ever
02-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Ray Lewis is a great player and he would do great things with the Chiefs but he is a temporary plug in. He does not have much time left in the NFL...

I would take him for the next year or two!! No Doubt!!

dbolan
02-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Why go for him? He has a "comeback year" so t speak and now he is worth big $$ ??? LOL!

He has 2 decent years left at BEST and usually when the OLD vets have a comeback year, their next couple of years are all downers.

Ray Lewis is a Raven through and through just as Joe Montana was a 49er.

If he comes here, it is only for a payday and/or to massage his own ego by being able to play at a good level in his latter years.

Seek
02-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Ray Lewis is a great player and he would do great things with the Chiefs but he is a temporary plug in. He does not have much time left in the NFL...

I would take him for the next year or two!! No Doubt!!

Ray Lewis has oustanding talent around him. He has a great D Line, great OlB, great cornres and great safeties.

Bring him to KC, and you will find Kendrel Bell Part Deux.

Big Daddy Tek
02-02-2009, 11:09 PM
So I click on this thread and on the first page of posts, I see a first ballot Hall of Famer who happens to argueably be the greatest Linebacker in NFL history being compared to Donnie Edwards and Kendrell Bell. You know where this is going, dont even respond. Since its now illegal to use the belt, I order both of you trouble makers to time out.

As far as us getting Ray; Ray Lewis is EXACTLY what we need. He is not the future. He is the man who, for the next two years, teaches these kids what it takes to be great. He raises the emotional level of the entire team by leaps and bounds. He gives this franchise a leader that they have NEVER had. Derrick Thomas, Tony Gonzales and Len Dawson combined could not show a fraction of the leadership that this man would show. He makes everybody accountable for thier actions. This is a man who would be taking the calls via headset for the entire defense and distrbuting strict orders all game long. Ray Lewis is NEVER out of position, NEVER beat on play action, and can NEVER be shaken by anything, no matter how the big the play is or how big the game is. If you guys havent noticed, successfully rebuilding isnt done by signing ONLY young players. Pioli knows this and thats why he would jump at the oppurtunity to sign a Ray Lewis. Ray could bring this defense to new heights and then pass the rains to some young prospect two years from now. You dont want that?

Chiefster
02-02-2009, 11:33 PM
I think he's spent.

Chiefster
02-02-2009, 11:40 PM
So I click on this thread and on the first page of posts, I see a first ballot Hall of Famer who happens to argueably be the greatest Linebacker in NFL history being compared to Donnie Edwards and Kendrell Bell. You know where this is going, dont even respond. Since its now illegal to use the belt, I order both of you trouble makers to time out.

As far as us getting Ray; Ray Lewis is EXACTLY what we need. He is not the future. He is the man who, for the next two years, teaches these kids what it takes to be great. He raises the emotional level of the entire team by leaps and bounds. He gives this franchise a leader that they have NEVER had. Derrick Thomas, Tony Gonzales and Len Dawson combined could not show a fraction of the leadership that this man would show. He makes everybody accountable for thier actions. This is a man who would be taking the calls via headset for the entire defense and distrbuting strict orders all game long. Ray Lewis is NEVER out of position, NEVER beat on play action, and can NEVER be shaken by anything, no matter how the big the play is or how big the game is. If you guys havent noticed, successfully rebuilding isnt done by signing ONLY young players. Pioli knows this and thats why he would jump at the oppurtunity to sign a Ray Lewis. Ray could bring this defense to new heights and then pass the rains to some young prospect two years from now. You dont want that?

I'm reminded of our game in "03" against the Raven's where Ray kept whining to his coach that he was being double teamed. Roaf man handled him that game.

Guru
02-02-2009, 11:46 PM
You know, I can't stand the guy as a person, and would rather not have him here. However, if we did get him, he would be one hell of a leader on the defense and would bring it every game.

He has kept his nose clean since that bar incident though.

I don't know. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Chiefster
02-02-2009, 11:49 PM
You know, I can't stand the guy as a person, and would rather not have him here. However, if we did get him, he would be one hell of a leader on the defense and would bring it every game.

He has kept his nose clean since that bar incident though.

I don't know. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Yup, we've gone after wrose I guess.

theaxeeffect4311
02-03-2009, 12:39 AM

However, if we sign a young MLB from free agency like Jonathan Vilma or Karlos Dansby, would you say Ray Lewis is a better choice than one of those guys? I have to say no because while Lewis a great player and a great leader, he will still ask for a similar price but we'll get him for less years. You have to wonder how much was covered up of Lewis' decline because of the 3-4 defense the Ravens ran. I understand what you mean by him mentoring a young defense, but unless they pick up both a young MLB and Lewis (which would be expensive), I'm not sure it's worth it.

Seek
02-03-2009, 07:26 AM

The pats and Pioli were known for signing average players that fit into a system built around the foundation of drafted players that worked as a team. The team made each player better. This is even what Pioli said he will do the day we hired him.

Other than Randy Moss they did not go out and get end of the career aged high dollar players. In fact they rarely even kept their own high dollar aged players.

Ray Ray, is getting old. I understand what type of player he was or is. Fact of the matter, based on the amount of play and his age. Come opening day next year, his body may just call it quits and he would be only 25% the player you expect. This is why Willie Roaf retired, It is why Will Shields had a poor performance his last year before retiring. It is why Donnie Edwards was a horrible signing. It is why Ty Law crapped out, it is why Pat Surtain is basically done.

I understand the attitue and player Ray Ray WAS.... It is not a good signing for the Chiefs. I can understand the signing under the CP era.. but not now.

Seek
02-03-2009, 07:30 AM
I think he's spent.

He is definately close to spent. The guy has a bigger pot belly than I do. Signs are showing that his body isn't young anymore.

dbolan
02-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Hire Ray Lewis to be the Linebackers COACH!! Now, that is worth talking about! LOL!

yashi
02-03-2009, 04:22 PM
He is definately close to spent. The guy has a bigger pot belly than I do. Signs are showing that his body isn't young anymore.
Pot belly or not, he still made 84 solo tackles last season, his highest number since 2004.

hometeam
02-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Hire Ray Lewis to be the Linebackers COACH!! Now, that is worth talking about! LOL!

I like this idea~

leoness8
02-03-2009, 07:56 PM
I understand what you guys are saying about him getting old...but man...Ray Lewis is Ray Lewis. He is an amazing leader in the locker room...on the field. Kurt Warner turned the Cardinals into a championship team. If Ray Lewis still has a few years left in the tank I would sign him at the same cost as a younger guy like Vilma or Dansby. You cant teach a player leadership. Ray Lewis could get hurt in week 1 of the season, but he still will have a dramatic impact on the sidelines to all of his teammates. I understand cap this cap that... money this and money that...but at the end of the day you really gotta sit down and think about what Ray Lewis will do for your football team. Tony G provides alot of leadership, but Ray provides the intensity and leadership before, during and after games. The Chiefs dont have a guy like this that can pump his team up...that is why the Chiefs need to seriously think about this as one of their LB options

Seek
02-05-2009, 07:33 AM
I'm reminded of our game in "03" against the Raven's where Ray kept whining to his coach that he was being double teamed. Roaf man handled him that game.

Actually I recall him running his mouth to Will Shields. Saying, so it is gong to be like that Huh Will... Will Shields responded, All night baby...

Then the It isn't possible, It just isn't possible, crap. The very next play, Jordan Black, playing RG for Will Shields pancaked Ray.. And then Madden pointed out that it was just one guy.

I also remember how he came out of the tunnel when they introduced him with his dance. I also recall the Chiefs saying after the game, that his dance motivated them to kick his Arse.

Seek
02-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Pot belly or not, he still made 84 solo tackles last season, his highest number since 2004.

Again, I would like to point out that he has talent at every position around him. I doubt seeing Ray Ray making 84 tackles for the Chiefs if he is easily blocked because three is no need for any offense to double team the Chiefs defensive line.

Chiefster
02-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Actually I recall him running his mouth to Will Shields. Saying, so it is gong to be like that Huh Will... Will Shields responded, All night baby...

Then the It isn't possible, It just isn't possible, crap. The very next play, Jordan Black, playing RG for Will Shields pancaked Ray.. And then Madden pointed out that it was just one guy.

I also remember how he came out of the tunnel when they introduced him with his dance. I also recall the Chiefs saying after the game, that his dance motivated them to kick his Arse.

It was great watching him get manhandled. :D

hometeam
02-06-2009, 12:12 AM
DJ is an outside LB~

jap1
02-06-2009, 02:03 AM
I was pretty sure DJ was drafted to be an OLB and has played both weakside and strongside LB until the last few games this year. They played him at MLB this year because they had no one else to play MLB and they have been disappointed that he takes plays off and hoped he would be more focused at MLB. I doubt he stays at MLB.

He also played OLB at Texas.

jtandcrew
02-06-2009, 07:40 AM
I think the Ray Lewis subject is going to be moot very soon if reports are correct. I read on the scroll on ESPN Lewis said he would only be interested in either Dallas or the Jets. He would eat to much of our cap anyways IMO.

Bike
02-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Ray Lewis is a fat pig.

jap1
02-06-2009, 04:58 PM
My personal feelings regarding DJ are that he is being used incorrectly in the position. He is fast and quick to get to the ball but he doesn't always react to the correct play call by the Offense, he should be used more like Derrik Thomas was used in a blitzing LB and line him up on all points, this would leave the QB guessing on what blocking scheme to call when coming to the line. Wether they do it is another thing , I would like to see that though.

I think that we initially drafted him to be the next DT, but then Herm came in with his Tampa 2 BS and wanted the LBs to drop back and pass cover. They made him gain weight and he lost his speed. I would love to have him drop some weight and go back to firing him at the QB like the Ravens use Suggs.

bonesjackson
02-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Absolutely. Ray-Ray is the leader our D needs.

The number one thing in my wish list is to sign Ray

Superblog (http://ddsuperblog.blogspot.com/)