PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pick BJ Raji

jap1
02-03-2009, 06:08 PM
So I was wondering what anyone else thought of BJ Raji with our 3rd pick. A lot of draft "gurus" have him going to Seattle at number four after his great showing at the Senior Bowl. He apparently made all the other lineman except for Alex Mack look like little girls.

If he lives up to his hype, he could be a great NT in a 3-4. If we really wanted to go to a 3-4, he would be a great start. Also, I think he would be great in a 4-3 because he would eat up a lot of space.

I like the idea, but I dont think any D-lineman can come in and be effective in their first two years. Dorsey was supposed to be the same, but we know how that worked out.

I still think OT or LB personally, but I wonder what others think.

chief31
02-03-2009, 06:16 PM
So I was wondering what anyone else thought of BJ Raji with our 3rd pick. A lot of draft "gurus" have him going to Seattle at number four after his great showing at the Senior Bowl. He apparently made all the other lineman except for Alex Mack look like little girls.

If he lives up to his hype, he could be a great NT in a 3-4. If we really wanted to go to a 3-4, he would be a great start. Also, I think he would be great in a 4-3 because he would eat up a lot of space.

I like the idea, but I dont think any D-lineman can come in and be effective in their first two years. Dorsey was supposed to be the same, but we know how that worked out.

I don't know how well Dorsey worked out yet. I still don't know how well Tank Tyler worked out.

But, taking another DT would make us into The Lions. We have taken alot of DTs early, over the past six or seven drafts.

Also, I think if we get a DE, then we will have significantly upgraded the DT positions already.

slc chief
02-03-2009, 06:51 PM

i like de paul kruger with our third pick i agree that taken another dt would be kind of dumb definantly give dorsey another year

Coach
02-03-2009, 08:54 PM
iF the Chiefs move to a 3-4, I think it becomes likely that the Chiefs would draft Raji. If they stick with a 4-3, it becomes very unlikely IMO.

Chiefster
02-04-2009, 12:10 AM

Yup, the NFL is a whole other animal.

theaxeeffect4311
02-04-2009, 02:01 AM
I think it is more likely that the Chiefs will draft Crabtree before another DT.

Lazeye
02-04-2009, 03:38 AM
No more early DT, I do agree on a DE.

jmlamerson
02-04-2009, 09:57 AM

If we go to a 3-4, I don't see that we have much of a choice. If we stay in a 4-3, I don't think Raji should be our priority.

EDIT: or what Coach said

Bike
02-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Pioli grabbed Jared Mayo at 10 spot when a lot of mocks had him going later in the 1st round.
I think Pioli knows how to scout players so yes there is a chance Pioli will go defense with 1st pick.
This is a glaring difference between Peterson and Pioli.
Peterson: Dorsey at #5: ?
Pioli: Mayo at #10: Defensive rookie of the year.

hometeam
02-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Couple of years ago DeMeco Ryans went in the early 2nd, became a well deserved DROY.

People that went before him include Mario Williams, AJ Hawk, Ernie Sims, Haloti Ngata, Tamba Hali, Mathias Kiwanuka

So, IMO its such a crapshoot you just have to pick right, rather than pick to where someone 'should' be drafted

Bike
02-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Couple of years ago DeMeco Ryans went in the early 2nd, became a well deserved DROY.

People that went before him include Mario Williams, AJ Hawk, Ernie Sims, Haloti Ngata, Tamba Hali, Mathias Kiwanuka

So, IMO its such a crapshoot you just have to pick right, rather than pick to where someone 'should' be drafted
Yep. But a lot of it depends on your GM's ability to evaluate talent. This definetely lessens the "crapshoot" factor when it comes to the draft. But yeah it is a crapshoot.:bananen_smilies046:

jmlamerson
02-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Yep. But a lot of it depends on your GM's ability to evaluate talent. This definetely lessens the "crapshoot" factor when it comes to the draft. But yeah it is a crapshoot.:bananen_smilies046:
I dunno about it being a crapshoot. Some teams always tend to draft well (Pats, Colts, Steelers, Ravens, Giants, Packers, Chargers) and some always draft poorly (Lions, Raiders, Saints, Redskins, Vikings, Jets).

Sometimes good drafting teams draft busts (Ravens with Boller, or Pats with Graham). Sometimes those bad drafting teams do well, even late (Horton in the 7th for the Redskins, for example, or Colston in the 7th for the Saints), but those are exceptions, not the rule.

I think the key is (1) do not draft players with long injury histories, except maybe at RB; (2) speed is the most overrated statistic, except in the case of WRs; (3) watch gametape rather than combine numbers; and (4) hire good coaches to maximize the raw talent.

yashi
02-04-2009, 01:27 PM
If we go 3-4, Raji would be an awesome pick. If we don't, an OT would be an awesome pick.

prough91
02-04-2009, 04:23 PM
I dunno about it being a crapshoot. Some teams always tend to draft well (Pats, Colts, Steelers, Ravens, Giants, Packers, Chargers) and some always draft poorly (Lions, Raiders, Saints, Redskins, Vikings, Jets).

Sometimes good drafting teams draft busts (Ravens with Boller, or Pats with Graham). Sometimes those bad drafting teams do well, even late (Horton in the 7th for the Redskins, for example, or Colston in the 7th for the Saints), but those are exceptions, not the rule.

I think the key is (1) do not draft players with long injury histories, except maybe at RB; (2) speed is the most overrated statistic, except in the case of WRs; (3) watch gametape rather than combine numbers; and (4) hire good coaches to maximize the raw talent.

Eggsactly. I think combine numbers have hurt the draft more than anything.

balto
02-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Its hard to judge Dorsey and Mayo!!!!!!!!!

Mayo has great players around him taking a LOT of pressure of him.

Dorsey was double teamed most the year. If we still had Allen then maybe we would be talking about how Dorsey got D player of the year.

Bike
02-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Its hard to judge Dorsey and Mayo!!!!!!!!!

Mayo has great players around him taking a LOT of pressure of him.

Dorsey was double teamed most the year. If we still had Allen then maybe we would be talking about how Dorsey got D player of the year.
Mayo definetely had better coaching and better players surrounding him than Dorsey. But hey - it is what it is.
Mayo picks up the honors and Dorsey gets nada.
The fact still remains that Mayo was drafted 5 spots behind Dorsey and Dorsey looked lost out there.
Heres to our new DC getting more out of him this year...

kcmostwanted
02-04-2009, 05:35 PM
i like de paul kruger with our third pick i agree that taken another dt would be kind of dumb definantly give dorsey another year

I'll just pretend you never wrote that... unless you meant Paul Kruger in the 3rd round... but definitely not the 3rd pick in the draft...which happen to belong to the Chiefs!!!

I agree w/ you guys. Give Dorsey and Tank a few more years because drafting 3 DT's in the top 10 in 7 years is pretty ridiculous. Especially how Ryan Sims turned out :drunkhb:

CJ25
02-05-2009, 02:02 AM
My guess...

Aaron, Brian or Mark

hermhater
02-05-2009, 03:01 AM
What is going on in here?

DT14PRIEST
02-05-2009, 06:03 AM
No more DL for KC please... Draft gurus or not it wasn't all Dour DL's fault especially considering when your D-Scheme is to run the Tampa 2 (cover 2) and expect dominanting pass rush results with left over FA pickups and a rookie DL and 7 in zone and only 4 rushing...

Lets just play prevent the entire game

hometeam
02-05-2009, 09:30 AM
I just want to point out that Dorsey was not double teamed all year, he was singled and had his face pushed into the turf constantly.

That being said, I think he can improve, and he definately still deserves a chance to be what everyone thought he was.